Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    irronically is one of the places Isuzu Troopers first came to the USA. I bought my new 1984 Trooper there when Troopers were hard to find in the rest of the country. I remember test driving it in all modes on and off pavement for 39 miles. I was worried that the little 1.9L engine was not going to last because of its small size, but it was still running great after 201K miles having only changed the water pump alternator and belts once. The only other thing that I changed was the throttle body which started leaking air past the shaft. It got 22 to 24 mpg often and 28 mpg twice back when the speed limit was 55mph, but only 16 mpg with a big aluminum canoe on top. Later I ran it at 72+ mph (4200 RPM) for 20 hours (1400 miles straight thru) cross country, without any problems.
    Ask your Isuzu maintenance shop what maintenance is most needed and most cost effective. My local shop is http://www.creechimports.com/ maybe they can help decide what your maintenance priorities are. The owner is Stan, I have been using their shop since 1995.
  • emiuraemiura Member Posts: 59
    Yes, I still go to Andreasen's in Fountain Valley. Haven't been there for a while, but I'm planning to take my Trooper for 60K service soon.

http://www.isuzusuv.com

When I did comparison shopping when my Trooper was due for 30K serve, his shop had better price than Isuzu dealers (there are two dealers within 10 miles from my home). However, his rate is not the lowest compared to other independent shops. Keith (the owner) follows Isuzu maintenance schedule and does everything to the spec, so I am happy with that. One dealer does more than what Isuzu manual recommends and charges more.

Keith cannot do warranty repair, so if he finds something that should be repaired under warranty, he tells me to go to a dealer. One time he found front diff pinion seal and rear axle seal leaks, and a dealer finally agreed to fix it after arguing it's a normal seepage. If I'd taken it to a dealer, I don't think those leaks ever got noticed and got fixed. Another good thing for me is he's open on Saturdays.

...Eiji...
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    I remembered you posted a link some time ago but my bookmark got deleted. This guy sounds exactly what I need, and being open on Saturdays is perfect. I'm going to shoot off an E-mail for quotes.

Boxtrooper, thanks for the suggestion. Man you would be blown away at what San Diego is today, compared to the 80's. I've been here since 96', the growth is stunning (housing costs)...Thanks again.
    Had 60K service done to my '99 Trooper today. Total was $344.63 including tax. They did all scheduled items in the manual, including front wheel bearing repack. Only problem they found was small cracks in the timing belt. They didn't have the belt in stock, so I'll get it done sometime next week when the part comes in. Cost will be $80.

...Eiji...
  • jtk152jtk152 Member Posts: 139
    Hey emiura, If you get your timing belt replaced for 80 bucks, that will definately be the deal of the century!! Are you sure you don't mean serpentine belt?? Timing belt replacements are typically $300+ $80 sounds more like a stealer charge for a 5min serpentine belt replacement.
    Joel
    You are correct. It's the serpentine belt. I was also asking about the timing belt, which I didn't have to chagne yet.

It's almost out of warranty, and here are things repaired by Isuzu under warranty:
    1. Transmission drain plus leak @29K
    2. Front differential pinion seal leak @48K
    3. Left rear axle seal leak @48K
    4. AC switch light bad @48K

Original tires were replaced at around 35K.
    Emiura - Only other things I'd do in addition to the 60Kmi service is change out the spark plugs & engine coolant. Should really changeout the coolant every two years & pull/inspect the spark plugs every 2-3yrs or so, load them with anti-seize compound and reinstal them if they still look good - important stuff on an all aluminum engine. Your timing belt should easily go 100Kmi. I'd change out the timing belt & have the valve clearances checked around 100,000 miles. Go over your truck REALLY WELL & check for ANY oil seepage before your warranty expires. Looks like your truck will live a long happy life! G/luck
    Joel
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I tried to adjust my gear this weekend to get rid of some slop on center steering. It is a real pain to get any leverage or a socket w/extension on the nut there. The angle at which mine sits makes it difficult without removing the fan housing/schroud. I may make another attempt, but it looks like I will be having my dealer make this adjustment for me.
  • dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    FYI the upper fan shroud comes off fairly easily as I recall. Just unclip and unscrew the grill. Then unclip and unscrew the upper fan shroud. I know this helped me get better access to clean the radiator, don't know if it will help you with access to the steering.
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Our 98 Trooper, 81k miles, has been feeling pretty sluggish the last few months. I've been wondering what could be the cause of it, since it is maintained well. Acceleration with our typical shift points (3000-3500 RPM) seems worse than in years past, and the truck is less eager to build revs and/or downshift.

However, things seem dramatically better in the last 2-3 tanks of gas. Could it be our truck was not running nearly as well on the reformulated winter fuel here in Michigan, and the last couple tanks of gas have been the regular, non-winter blend? The improvement is so noticeable it's hard to believe. There have been no other recent changes to the truck (e.g. oil change), so I can't attribute the improvement to anything else. The truck even returned 18.2 MPG on a 200-mile round trip yesterday, with 95% highway miles @ 75mph. Any thoughts?
    When is the last time you changed the fuel filter? Cold weather can freeze wet dirt in the filter and starve the engine of fuel. The filter is under the floor of the passenger side rear seat attacked to the frame.
  • beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    2000 "S". I did my fuel filter @ 70K. The truck did not run any better but I felt better knowing it was changed out. Closing in on 91K. Last day of June, My tropper will be 3 years old. Cheers to all!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Beer and I got ours at almost the same time, and I drive A LOT and he's nearly doubling my milage!

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Had it changed once - somewhere between 50k and 70k miles, so it has been between 6 and 18 months. Didn't notice any change in performance after it was changed.

Is 50k miles or so a reasonable fuel filter change interval, or do you folks recommend more frequent? I don't recall what the owners manual says.
  • satysaty Member Posts: 23
    hey Emiura. Did you get the 60K miles service at the dealer or independent mechanic? It seems a good price for 60K miles service since my local Isuzu dealer here at Salt Lake City wanted over $500 for 30k miles service.
    Has anyone replaced the stock air box and air filter with the Calmini high flow air filter system? Any noticable improvement on MPG and hosepower?
    "high flow" you know you are likely going to be sucking in lots of high flowing HOT air if you do this! Not to mention that your SUV then becomes a lot less U cause you're likely to suck in water....

Oh yeah and it doesn't help in HP/Power either IMHO.

-mike
  • leedavidyoungleedavidyoung Member Posts: 102
    I agree with Mike. A high flow set up increases your potential exposure to water. I opted for a K & N drop-in filter. I don't like the idea of an exposed filter under the hood. On several occasions, my filter box has been covered with mud due to off-road conditions.

If you really want a high flow set up, you can make one for much less than the Calmini** kit. K&G has universal filters for use in this application. I remember reading a do-it-yourself write-up on this topic. It included a filter, a plastic pipe and a clamp. I think the article was posted at planetisuzu, but I'm not sure.

Lee

**The salesman that handles Isuzu for calmini is arrogant and pompous.IMO I hate spending money with them.
    hey Lee. Did you go with the K&N replacement filter then? If you did, how the performance of your trooper?
    Yes I use the replacement filter that fits in the the OEM filter box. To be honest, I cannot tell a difference in my engines performance.

The K&N filter is extremely durable. I like being able to clean and reuse it. I have friends that swear by K&N products for performance capabilities, but I think the biggest selling points are quality and convenience.

None of the auto parts stores in my area stock a K&N filter for the Trooper. They required full payment prior to ordering one, so I purchased on-line. The filter comes "charged" so you can postpone the cleaner/charger kit (a separate item) until later. Most stores keep this item in stock.
    I have the panel filter also. Works great and even helps prevent water from going into the engine. Pulls slightly over 4000rpms but not much IMHO.

-mike
    I went to a independent shop, not a dealer. The 30K service was about $260 at the same shop, but that price included $50 discount. I'm happy with this shop.

One of the Isuzu dealer in my area discontinued Isuzu recently. The other dealer still sell and service Isuzu vehicles, but they let all Isuzu techs go as they are mainly selling Hyundai now. Now my warranty is almost over, I probably won't need dealer service any more.

Are you in SLC? I remember seeing Isuzu dealer by Hwy 15 in Draper or Lehi?
    I put in the K&N filter drop in and it helped a little for towing a 4000# trailer when the gas pedal is pushed to the floor and stays there a while. Once before the K&N I replaced the air filter with a clean paper replacement and going from dirty fitler to clean filter made a big difference. The K&N says it will maintain a higher flow rate longer even as it gets dirty, that is what sold me on it.
    I previously installed and removed the calmini K&N exposed filter kit. It has a port on the heavy steel tube for the small hose that was not at the correct angle so I would have had to buy a longer small hose. I did not like the mounting bracket sturdiness compared to the amazing weight of the big steel tube. I ran it in the driveway and decided to remove it right then because the exposed cone shaped filter is right in line with the engine cooling fan such that any water or debris that hits the fan could hit the K&N filter element directly at high velocity. The K&N filter element looks like an oily tee shirt stretched over a metal screen, not enough to prevent a hole from a small stone coming off the fan blade in my opinion.
    Rather than take it to the dealer and be told it is "normal" wear, I took it to a local shop today and told them to take a look at it. Barring anything too expensive, I am just going to have them fix it. The only thing I can think that might have to go to the dealer is if the whole gear needs to be replaced? I still might try to find a rebuilt one cheap and have the local shop put it in. I figure up to $250 is worth it to save the hassle of multiple trips and not great service from a dealer network that is not entirely supporting their product.

On a related note, my Check Engine light came on during my trip there? At least is was before rather than after.
    Please keep us up to date on your repair work. It would be great to find an inexpensive fix for the loose steering issue.
    The local shop I took it to was able to recreate the slack in steering. However when they got it on the rack and checked everything out couldn't find anything wrong? The gear was tightened properly.

The problem happens mostly when it is warmed up? So it is probably something inside the ball bearings inside the worm gear, and that I should have the dealer replace it if anything. UGH...I have an appointment Saturday to demonstrate this problem to my dealership and then possibly setup an appointment to have it resolved. Otherwise I will just have to outright pay/tell someone to replace the gear entirely.

The mechanic said he didn't think it was a safety issue? However I have felt a shimmy at 45-55 MPH since it started and had my tires balanced twice. I can feel this slack offroading, where the wheels and steering moves, but the steering wheel doesn't, as if the gear is banging against either side of the slop?

My Check Engine code was a "44"? Another thing I will have to have the dealer look at.
    need a short advice or instruction on how to replace the fuel filter in term of brand and thing to look for. My is 99 lux. version. Bought it used and don't think previous owner had replaced it.

Thanks in advance
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    The fuel filter is inside the frame rail, passenger side, in front of the rear tire. Replacement is fairly simple. Before replacing, depressurize the fuel system by pulling the fuel pump fuse and cranking the engine.

You will still get some gas on you...wear safety glasses.
    Thanks for the infor. on fuel filter replacement sdc2.
    hello again. I'm getting ready to replace my spark plugs on 99 Trooper. Any suggestion on brand, level of difficulty and possibly brief instruction? I had changed the plugs before but not on this trooper.
    The Trooper is the easiest vehicle I have ever replaced plugs on. For five of the six plugs all you need is a standard long extension for the plug socket. The slightly tricky one is the corner by the master cylinder, you can't get a long extension in there. I was able to do it by feeding in two short extensions, one at a time.

Unclip the coil pack wire connector, remove the coil pack. The plug "wire" down to the plug is integral with the coil pack, and will come out when you pull off the coil pack. Swap the plug, doing all the usual things you do in a plug change (anti-seize on the threads, start the new plug with fingers to avoid cross-threading, etc.) Reinstall the coil pack and you are done.
    thanks sdc2. I noticed you have a 99 trooper also. Have any pictures to show on your aftermarket add-on or mod?
    What mileage do you think this should be done? What benefits? I am getting very poor mileage and have toyed with the idea of a plug swap. However I only have about 15k on my current set.
    There are a few pics on the Owners Gallery at isuzu-suvs.com under "BigSwede", they are a couple of years old, though. Mods at that time were mostly OME shocks and coils, and 265/75 Pirelli Scorpions, and an ECB nudge bar.

This year I have installed a Calmini rear bumper, DOR rock sliders, and ARB bullbar. I have a couple of crappy digital pics I could email you if you want.
    many makers of plugs and ignition kits to read about. If your Trooper has the high voltage spark plug wires read about a upgrade that helped me a go from 9.9mpg to 11.2 mpg for towing at http://www.directhits.com.
    Got my truck back from the dealer last night. SOTF fixed as well as the front speed sensor on the TOD unit, which was causing the dampness that I saw. My extended warranty covered it for me :)

It's nice to have 2wd available again :)

-mike
    anyone have the fluid changes ( both differentials, transfer case, coolant, etc) at Jiffy Lube? Their prices are unbeatable compare to an Isuzu dealer or local Firestone shop.
    I had my tranny and radiator fluids swapped at a local place called Rapid Oil Change, basically the same as Jiffy Lube. Went fine, even if the tech was still in high school...
    How do you take the tension off the tensioner when replacing the serpentine belt?

On my previous Blazer, you just inserted a socket wrench into a square hole in the tensioner arm to pivot it, loosening the belt. I can find no such hole on the Trooper, and the shop and owners manuals were not enlightening. I know there must be an easy way...
  • catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    Decided to try and repack the wheel bearing on my 01 Trooper. Everything was going fine,until the three small philips head screws on the outside ring before the hub nut began to strip out at the head. I tapped on them several times (as Mr. Chang pointed out in his article) but they just rounded out very easily. Put everything back together and headed for the computer. What are my options on getting the screws out to finish the job, and where to buy a tool to do it...Any HELP would be appreciated , Thanks
    Catmandu, the best way to attack these (retainer ring) screws is with an impact screw driver. You don't even want to attempt to loosen them without one. They can be had at most any place that sells tools & hardware for around $20. You wack'em with a hammer/mallet & they back the screws out without slipping & rounding out the head. G/luck
    Joel
    Am heading to the parts store, I also was told to look for an Easy-out or smomthing to get the stripped screws out--Thanks--Mel
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    Like already noted, the key is using an impact screwdriver. Harbor Freight sells one for around $6.

In that you have already partially stripped the heads, I strongly recommend that you clean out/deepen the screwhead slots BEFORE using the impact screwdriver. The more bite you can give the screwdriver the better off you will be. If you have a Dremel tool and a very small slot cutting bit you might try using that to carefully chase the slots in the top of the screws.

To make your job much easier next time, especially now that you have already compromised the screwheads, get yourself some new machine screws. IIRC they are 4X8mms. Home Depot and Lowes both sell them in stainless steel. These are much less likely to strip than the factory supplied brass screws.
    Also, any problems after the retainer ring screws to look out for. I already found out the red wheel bearing grease I normally use on older vehicles is not right for my Trooper. I found a light color wheel bearing grease made by Quaker State that is for disc brake cars and looks like the factory grease thats in there. What do you use for a grease seal remover? Do you use locktite (what strength) on the retainer screws and or anything else? Thanks, Mel
  • ryanendresryanendres Member Posts: 122
    http://www.mjw.com/amigo/images/belt.jpg

check the above link. You just need a socket wrench and a pipe on the end of it to give you a bit more torque.
    -Ryan
    IIRC, the grease spec is NLGI#2 for disc brakes.

As to a grease seal remover, yes they make them. However, no matter how you remove the seals you always ruin them. Plus with all the mileage on them they need to be replaced in any event. The point being that a seal remover only makes the job a little easier, it doesn't save the seals. No doubt many people just use a long-handled screwdriver and pry out the old seals. Just be careful not to scar the rotor.

FWIW, I have not used Locktite on the 3 hub nut screws. I just very securely re-tightened them. Then again I am no mechanic so maybe this was a mistake. My thought was that these screws are hard enough to remove as is let alone with Locktite. However, with Locktite the chances of a worst case scenario (e.g. a wheel coming loose at speed) are no doubt less. Thus, you should use your own judgement and do your own research before deciding to use or not use Locktite.

Again, just my $.02. YMMV, use at your own discretion, risk, etc.
    Excellent advise breakor. Catmandu, you've probably seen this already, but this is the best write-up i've seen for brng repack procedure: http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/56

Joel
    JTK152-- will head to Sears(40 miles away) to look at their impact drivers. The ones I looked at in our small town didnt have a small enough bit to fit tightly. Breakor--cant find a 4mm/8mm anywhere in the great city of Bentonville ,Arkansas. Tried Lowes, several auto parts stores---everyone has an 8 by 1/2 or so but no 8mm by 4mm( which one is the diameter?) There is an Isuzu dealer in Fayetteville and I will try them tomorrow . What is the actual length of these screws and are ALL machine screws -metric ?Thanks again ,Mel
    IIRC you want a #2 phillips bit. Can't you locally buy such a bit that fits the locally available impact screwdriver? In fact if you already have a screw/nut driver set with interchangeable bits it likely has a #2 bit that will fit whatever impact screwdriver you buy.

To repeat, I am going from memory here. My recollection is that they are 4mm in diameter and 8mm in length. No doubt machine screws can also have different thread spacing and pitch specifications. Thus, 4X8mm is not a definitive specification. However it was my experience that Home Depot carries only 1 machine screw in that size. It worked just fine and the ones at Lowes looked to be exactly the same. No, all machine screws are not metric. Most in the US are SAE.
    Thus, when you go to Lowes or HD you have to be sure and check for the metric parts bins. You might also might try a NAPA or Pep Boys as some of them have good selections of metric items although usually not quite that small.

Once you get the impact screwdriver make sure you have it set to remove not tighten. Then practice on a few screwheads first to get the hang of it. No big deal but in that the heads are already somewhat compromised you want to get it right the first hit.
    Thanks for the info-- will head to Fayetteville tomorrow and see what happens--Thanks again--Mel