Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Owners Maintenance and Repair

bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
I couldn't resist taking the first post of the new Maintenance & Repair area of the Isuzu Owners Club.

As a matter of general info, I run synthetic blend oil in my engine (Castrol Syntec Blend or Valvoline Durablend), 5W30, genuine Isuzu filter, changed every 3000-3500 miles. I can't really justify spending the extra money on full synthetic.

I change my oil myself, and the next time I do I'll also be swapping out the TOD fluid (it's only 2 quarts) and putting Valvoline Durablend auto transmission fluid in there.

My Trooper has 38,000 miles on it and I just love it.

Jason
98 Trooper, Detroit area

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Today My Troop went into the dealer for a little maintenance and repair...

1) Recall #2 on the fuel hose
    2) Synthetic Oil Change I'm going to be going to the 7500 mile interval which will be nice cause Since June I've put on 14,000 miles and changing it every 3000-3500 has been almost a monthly affair!
    3) I'm having my TOD whine checked out and trying to see why the Check engine/TOD light came on last week
    4) Having them clean out the squirters for the wipers (I filled em up by accident when I waxed it a month ago, so only 1 nozzle on each side would work)
    5) Having them check the whine in the front end that I may or may not hear (I think that I may be hearing things because others mentioned a whine)

-mike
  • oldtroop1oldtroop1 Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased 86 Trooper and am looking for experience regarding oil leads on the 2.3. Body is perfect (from high country in Colorado), has torsion bar/shackle lift/31x10.5/ad/amp/k.'s/alarm/nudge bar (to be installed).
    Mechanical before any other mod/s. Head was rebuild 4 months ago and it leaks a quart of oil every 4-500 miles, looks like about every place from the head down. It's 5 degrees (-35 windchill) in Nebraska with 12 inches of snow. So we are just watch oil level and enjoying now, but.... I do want to correct, any suggestions on trouble areas for 2.3? Also a little vibration in 1st under acceleration (input shaft?) Looking for some disc. parts (tan cargo cover, some interior/dash stuff, Any suggestions in DE Nebraska?
    Look forward to participation. (This is 8th 4x4, had an 89 trooper in 89, and also have a 98 Explode).
    tks
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    you're not likely to get much feedback here, since most of the Trooper owners posting here are newer (98+) Trooper owners. You could try itog.com, which is a great site with lots of people knowledgeable about older Troopers, but the general discussion board over there has been down for about a week.
    Hopefully we'll attract some older Trooper owners over here. BlueDevils, if you are on itog, could you post a link over to here, that's the only board I missed in my spamming advertising this area (hit Vmag and Outdoorwire)

-mike
    Does anyone know if Isuzu will give me a loaner truck if my truck needs to stay in the shop overnight? Here is my dilema...

I'm leaving tonight to go home upstate NY to the adirondack mts. My truck is in the dealer here in NY/NJ and it looks like it'll need to stay overnight. We are expecting at least a foot of snow over the next 24-48hrs up there and want to have my or a 4wd vehicle for the trip. Will Isuzu give me a loaner trooper? One of the reasons I bought my trooper was for the TOD for use in the Mts. and snow... We shall see what happens...

-mike
  • oldtroop1oldtroop1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for feedback, I thought that this may include older Isuzu's as opposed to the other Trooper topics on Edmunds. I have posted at ITOG but as you noted some problems with the board (and format), i'll try 4x4 wire, but they seem more into Mods than repair topics.
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Mike, if I were you I'd make sure to get my trooper back tonight and make a reappointment if necessary. They are unlikely to loan you a vehicle with trooper capabilities in the snow. Also, with tomorrow being right before X-mas they may not get done then, if they want to go home early. Best bet, postpone anything they haven't yet started.
  • deimosdeimos Member Posts: 57
    by deimos Dec 19, 2000 (08:14 am)

Hello,

I had washed my car in a cold evening(two days before) and kept it in the garage(unheated)... I'll go to work, but when
    starting it after hours it would start with a jolt when releasing the clutch(I've had it last winter as well)...

But, next morning, it got worse, it wouldn't move at all, even after releasing the clutch almost completely(this time I was
    afraid to release it completely, considering the high revs, some cluncks, the previous jolts and the fact that I couldn't
    move the car my hand either)...No hand brake engaged :)
    I'll take it out of 4hi, put it in 4 No, then in 4 hi again, then in 2wd(After starting to two it. I've stopped the towing truck,
    re started the engine, just to make sure that the 4hi light went off)... But as the towing truck was turning out of my drive,
    we heard one loud CLANK and I was sure that my dealer would find the truck in perfect shape(which he did) :)

He even kept the truck outsideover night and re started it, no problems at 8 am next morning(but on milder weather)...
    They say they've "checked everything"...:) Not reproducible...
    It's not only that now I'm afraid to wash the truck when it's cold, but I'm afraid something might be damaged anyhow...

Even if we're careful not to put in 4hi when there are patches of dry asphalt, etc, etc

I also kind of thought that the clutch ride was too long(at least compared to my sedan), but then the dealer let me test
    drive a brand new 2000 and he drove my '99 and the clutches behaved in a very similar manner...

My '99 has only 22.000 km on it and it is a frustrating issue to have in the back on your mind... E.g. the next day I had to
    drive 200km one way and we got freezing rain and some snow on the way back and you are afraid that the truck might
    give up on you (OK it only manifested so far at start-up, but still)...

Any hints?

My dealer is 417 Saturn-Saab-Isuzu in Ottawa, Canada...
  • rdsterlrdsterl Member Posts: 21
  • rdsterlrdsterl Member Posts: 21
    What's the nature of the fuel line recall? My service advisor told me our '99 S isn't affected. True?
    Yes, only the 2000 and 2001 are effected because 2000 and 2001 got the "grade logic" transmission which is a larger unit and required them to route the fuel lines differently. I got it back, the whine is still there when in TOD, but I'm gonna have them check it out next week to see what caused the Error code "27" on the TOD and what is causing the whine.

-mike
    Also make sure when you are making appointments for the recall that they have the parts already. My dealer didn't have the parts and had to order them. I specifically asked when I made the appointment if they had the parts and supposedly they did. Go figure.

-mike
    Supposedly the '99 and '98 trooper is not affected for the fuel line recall, because the 'grade logic' that was added to the 2000 transmission sufficiently changed the routing of the fuel line as to cause the problem. A jackaroo offset crash test for the 98 (I believe) showed no fuel line breakage as did the 2000 (in multiple tests).
    Where does the whine seem to come from and how loud is it? Does it only happen in 4WD TOD? Did they check out the tranny to get this error code?
    It's somewhat loud, but you can really only hear it when slowwing down from 40->15mph, only in TOD, seems to be coming from the front center, or front right of the vehicle. On acceleration the whine is there, but the engine noise masks it. It almost sounds like an alternator whine or tranny whine.

They pulled the code from the engine ECU because that is the "check" light that came on. Although after a re-boot er re-start, it was fine.

-mike

PS: GPM, do you want to be a co-spokesperson for the Isuzu forum? We need 2 or 3 spokes people and so far I got ARK Troop and me, you post almost as much as me so what do you say?
    Mike, I'm not sure how much time I can put into that--and no telling when I may not be able to post as often. I certainly will stay around in an informal way though.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    It has been below freezing for the last few days and about 15 tonight. I was warming the truck up and while taking a spin around the block, there was a cracking noise from around the windshield? Almost like water frozen in the rubber? I am a little paranoid about new noises, so I hope the seal/glue isn't having a problem? I have seen a TSB about windshield whistle, but don't have any further details on it.

I think I stretched the hood release cable tonight. I was checking the oil and the hood was frozen shut. Well, I pulled the handle all the way and it didn't open. I gave it a minute with the engine running and it popped up. It still works, but it feels like it's stretched 1/2 and inch.
    Yeah the spokespeople are basically supposed to try to answer questions and keep the board active. That's about it really.

-mike
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    Sorry everyone...I'm trying posting by entering this site several different ways but it is still unreliable...just did a really long post re: TOD whine and it didn't take. Will redo it later when I have time. Sorry! - Dave
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    I originally thought the Trooper Key had an electronic chip to
    prevent one from making copies like my wife's Toyota. I thought
    that true when the first time I had a key made it did not work. Went to Wally World this week and made a couple more -- 1 works, the other does not. I guess making keys for the Trooper may take several
    attempts before one gets a working copy.

Another question, I'm going to hide a key on the Trooper in case I lock my keys in it again but have not
    found a suitable spot - ideas?
    I'd try behind the trailer hitch or rear bumper if you have a hitch. Or possibly inside the spare tire case behind the spare tire that's another good spot. The best key's i've had made are from a local hardware store or locksmith. My '88 Subare XT6 key was very difficult to get a good copy of, finally had em done at an Ace Hardware store for like $1.50, so I had 6 made for future use!

-mike
  • spirollispirolli Member Posts: 50
    Man oh man. I have the terribly annoying noise behind my odometer. It sounds like an alarm clock. It happened a few times in the past and only during cold weather starts and acceleration. Now, it's gotten to the point where it's constant while I'm on the hi-way. The weather has been in the teens here all week. So, I'm sure that has had something to do with it.

I called the dealer and they'll cover it. Can't wait to get this one fixed.

Steve
    Probably some moisture got into the speedo mechanism, and with the chilling weather it's feezing up. Glad to hear the dealer will cover it.

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
  • abcguy28abcguy28 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 Limited 2-wheel drive(4X2)which I purchased in August 2000. Does anyone knows if the fuel line is also recalled for this model? Thanks for any comments.
  • gberrygberry Member Posts: 21
    My 2000 Trooper has a very weird noise, and I was wondering if any of you could help me identify it. It happens when the car is fully warmed up, and is NOT engaged in TOD. It happens ONLY when the truck is going uphill (even the slightest grade) between 35- 39mph (ONLY at this speed). It sounds like wind noise under the car , and feels like the car is losing power - it might be a downshifting problem with the transmission, I'm not sure. The reason this problem is difficult to replicate is that Baltimore is mostly flat! There are only two hills in my neighborhood where I can replicate the problem, and no hills near my dealer! Last week I went to upstate NY in a very hilly suburban area, and this noise happened constantly, always going up a hill, always between 35 - 39 mph!
    It only effect the units that have the TOD T-case and Transmission. The routing of the fuel lines on the non-tods and 2wd units is different and therefore not susceptible to the same problem.

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
    Sounds like you could have a loose skid plate on the T-case? That's just a total WAG. But since it is only occurring in the non-TOD mode, and only at a slowish speed, and only when fully warmed up, I'd check the skid plate for vibration, almost like a heat shield vibration that some people experience on other vehicles. Just a thought.

-mike
    Isuzu Forum Spokesman
    Edmunds Isuzu Forum
    IA Trooper Homepage
    I feel your pain about the dealer not hearing the noises... I'm probably going to have to take a day off of work to drive my truck for the dealer so that I can point out the TOD noise.

-mike
  • hunter981hunter981 Member Posts: 2
    I own a '99 Trooper with 10,000 mi. The defroster doesn't seem to be blowing hard enough to keep my windshield clear of condensation or external ice in freezing rain. This is particularly a problem on the driver's side. I seem to be getting adequate heat from the heater when set for that mode. Any ideas??
  • onkeludo1onkeludo1 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if the is a history of the 4-speed auto tranny (mine is in a '97 Honda Passport/Isuzu Rodeo) slipping when changing gears? If so, what is the common cause of the problem?

Thanks,

Mike
    The Tranny in these vehicles is a venerable GM auto-matic Trans. They've been using em since at least the mid to late 80's. Here is a link to the GM page for our trannys.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/transmissions/index.htm

I don't know of any widespread problems with the tranny's.

-mike
    http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Mike, The window sticker for my 1999 Trooper says that the
    Transmission was made in France. Do you think the French
    versions are GM too?
    Yep, if you look on that page, ALL the 4L30 transmissions are made in Strasbourg, France for GM. It's the same transmission that is in the Holden Commodore, Caddy Catera, and the BMW Z3 Roadster. GM has a reputation for one of the strongest AT out there.

-mike
    I've heard several knowledgeable mechanical folks on the ITOG board substantiate Mike's claims that the GM 4L-30 transmission is very durable, reliable, and long-lasting. I'm not expecting to have any problems with mine, and I plan to put 200k miles or more on my truck. I'm at 39,000 miles right now.
  • nyxxnyxx Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,
    I have a question. In October I bought a used 95 Isuzu Rodeo from a dealer. It was love at first sight. I'd been looking for 8 months to find an SUV with a stick shift and no airbag. I own an 85 Honda Accord that has 140,000 miles on it and it still has a nice, tight, shift pattern. The Isuzu was really lazy in comparison. Sometimes I'd find myself in 5th gear instead of 3rd, or trying to grind my way into 2nd instead of 4th....Needless to say, I didn't like that. A couple of weeks ago, the Isuzu got totaled by a red-light runner. Now, I am looking for an SUV again.....I had been told by the dealer that the loose shift pattern in the Isuzu is normal.... Is it, or was the mechanic too busy to fix it? I would like to get an Isuzu again, but don't want to deal with that horrible traveling gearshift again.
    I think that what is happening is that the snow is somehow getting into or around the TOD actuator and then freezing up causing the "error 27, moisture error" That would explain how you could drive through water and not have this problem. Only when it gets frozen does it seem to cause this problem.

-mike
  • lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    Make sure you don't have your AC on recirculate. That would cause the warm moist air inside the truck to stay in, making the defrost less effective. Also, make sure the AC is ON. The AC, even when hot, dries the air out, helping reduce moisture.

I've found my windows fogging up, and sure enough the recirc is on. Let me know if this helps.

Andy
    How close are the Honda passport and the Isuzu rodeo? Will the same problems show up on both of them? Do they share the same engine, tranny, etc. or just the frame and body?
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    My defroster seems to leave a patch of ice right in my line of sight. This is unrelated to recirc/fresh setting, it just doesn't seem to get the heat to that area of the windshield. I believe a minor adjustment in the defroster vent airflow direction might cure the problem...I am tempted to stick some cardboard or plastic sheeting into the vents to try and redirect the flow, but haven't tried it yet.
    The only thing that honda does on a passport is put the Honda Logos. Everything else is 100% identical to their sister Rodeo.

-mike
    As Mike (paisan) said, the Rodeo and Passport are the same. Different trim levels (Rodeo has LS, LSE, etc. while Passport uses EX, etc.) and I think slightly different option packages but that's about it.

The Rodeo and Passport are built by Isuzu in the USA, and I don't mean to badmouth the Rodeo but its reliability/quality does not seem to be very high. The Trooper seems to have outstanding reliability/build quality, but it's made at a different plant (in Japan) than the Rodeo/Passport. It seems strange that Honda would be willing to risk its reputation for quality vehicles by badging a Rodeo as a Passport, but Honda has had some downturns in the quality of its own vehicles in the last few years anyway (e.g. Odyssey).

And paisan, I know your Rodeo was rock solid but I'm just speaking in general ;)
    I think the pre-98s were far more reliable (maybe it was cause they had about 10 years to perfect it?) The 98s were bad, the 99s a little better, and so far I've heard good things about 00 and 01. Don't forget the Trooper has been almost the same design since '92.

The passport also gets less warranty, no roof rack, and a higher price.

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I have heard that the Rodeo is pretty much the same as the Chevy S-10? If so it gives some insight as to why the Rodeo has been problematic in some cases.
    The rodeo is in no way related to an S10. The HOMBRE was a re-badge s-10. The new S-10 will actually be a re-badge isuzu pickup in 2003 IIRC.

-mike
  • david55839david55839 Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2000 Rodeo with a 5-speed, and it compares favorably (smooth and relatively short throws) to other vehicles I have such as a 325i and Honda CR-V. One of the reasons I chose the Rodeo is that it's one of the few SUV's available with a V-6 and 5-speed. Go test drive one, and see what you think.
    Paisan is right. The Passport generally costs more and has a shorter warranty than the Rodeo. Honda I believe is 3 years / 36k miles bumper-to-bumper with no further powertrain coverage. Before the new 10 yr/120k mile warranty, Isuzu offered 3 yrs / 50k miles bumper-to-bumper and 5 yr/60k mile powertrain.
  • drmperaltadrmperalta Member Posts: 58
    I asked a Honda salesman about the difference between the two and was told that there's nothing different (except of course the logos). The difference lies on the assembly dates, Rodeos on mondays and fridays, Passports on the middles of the week. Hope that helps.

By the way, I bougth a Passport.
    Those of you with our Honda/Acura partners, we still accept you guys as our own so don't feel slighted! :)

-mike
    Thanks for the info. Do you know anything on the older models? I cannot afford a new rodeo right now but we need another vehicle and I prefer a manual.
  • nmeyernmeyer Member Posts: 1
    Greetings - I am looking at buying a 96 Trooper S (auto, 4x4), with 51k miles. I have bad car juju and so am tempted to get an extended warranty. My credit union will sell be 3yrs/36k miles for $875. Any opinions on the value here. Thanks a bunch.