Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Just purchased a no frills MPV LX w/step plate, mats, and roof rack for $19,500 ($21,387 invoice - $2,000 rebate + $113). Tags, license, and doc fees were an additional $150.

BTW, hello Steve, I'm back. ;-)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Congrats on the new van - glad to see you didn't settle for a rusty recycled sardine can :-). You'll enjoy the crowd in here, they're a great bunch.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    After number of test drives and comparisons I consider to buy MPV. Does anybody know if there are currently any good deals in Canada? Is S-plan still available? I see that in US Mazda gives $2000 rebate. Where can I find information about deals in Canada?
    Thanks in advance for information.
  • abww30abww30 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering the purchase of an 2002 MPV LX and would like some knowledgeable opinions. I may be towing a small boat (1500 lbs) in the future. Does any one have experience towing with the MPV? Is the Tow Package necessary for a small boat?
    Is the Luxury Package (power seat, 16" wheels, 6 disc changer, side seat table, floor mats) worth it? Is the power seat more adjustable than the manual seat?
    Does the rear spoiler actually keep dust off the back hatch?

The internet sales person at the dealer said my cost would be 1% over invoice with no haggling involved. Does this sound reasonable?
    What's the deal with this 0% financing, are those fees in the fine print added to the cost?
  • basurfbasurf Member Posts: 42
    I beleive the tires state max pressure of 54psi or was it 51psi. I was thinking I would run mine at 45psi.

Any other comments/opinions on tire pressure for the MPV?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    My thoughts: there are essential "options" and there are just options. I definitely recommend the MPV with at least the following:

-4 seasons package for towing, rear heat, etc.
    -rear ac

Chances are you won't be able to find the 4 seasons without either the lux or the security package. They each are nifty, I ended up getting both but if I had my choice of one or the other I would have opted for the power seat/16" wheels and skipped the security.

1% over invoice: You should be able to find the MPV for $2,000 below invoice, plus whatever you decide to pay for dealer profit (typically $100 to $400 bucks gets it done).

No experience with rear spoiler. My guess is that it is like the "bug" guards---maybe some psychological advantage.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    We run our MPV's tire pressure at 34, anything much higher is asking for problems...harsh bumpy ride, potential blowout and premature wear. I believe Mazda recommends 32psi. There is a plate in the doorwell that has the recommended tire pressure. The psi during shipping(from Hiroshima)is set very high to prevent damage to the tires.

Pjd58
  • doctord13doctord13 Member Posts: 22
    Did you really get to 2000 below invoice without the rebate -- on the ES or LX??? Any secrets?
    pjd58,

thanks I always went by the actual max pressure on the tire itself (usually ran about 10 psi below max).

I just dropped all the tires to 34 though...was running them about 40.
  • vvgvvg Member Posts: 10
    - The 4 seasons package has the Luxury or Security package as a prerequisite.

- If you are getting cars in the Southern US with very high tire pressure, it's probably because they were put on the boat at max. inflation in cool weather.

- Towing a 1500 lb load short distances in cool weather will be no problem - anything more, you should get the 4 seasons package and be careful you don't exceed the total weight rating - the vehicle can't tow 3,000 if loaded to the gills with gear and people. If you have to launch from steep ramps, you might run into problems pulling out, with this or any FWD vehicle. A rule of thumb for towing is that you can tow 1/2 the rated capacity w/o shortening the life of the vehicle significantly. Also, accept the fact of lower resale value once you put a tow hitch on, whether you tow or not.

- There is a TREMENDOUS amount of misinformation about tires out there - that's one reason why Click & Clack always make fun of fatherly advice. You can run tires at max. inflation forever with no problems. The ride will be more harsh, but the handling will be more responsive and your load capacity will be greater. Most consumers don't check their tire pressure often enough - it changes 4-5 psi just from seasonal temp changes. It is estimated that if consumers all ran at manufacturers recommended pressure (most are low) more fuel would be saved than the 55 mph limit ever purported to save.

Heat is the enemy of tires - and overinflation is much less of a problem that underinflation. I raced stock FWD sedans for several years, and adjusted tire pressures based on handling and use of a pyrometer to check the surface temp. of the tread across the face. Handling was maximized and temp minimized at 42-44 psi on the front wheels. This is at the extreme limits of adhesion, so 35 or so, COLD, is fine if you can live with the small compromise in ride quality.

Low tire pressure in the back of a minivan is extremely dangerous. With a load, the tires will run very hot - hot enough to cause 2nd degree burns if you touched them. Without a load, the adhesion limit is lower so that you could create transient oversteer in an emergency or hard turning manuever - the rear end will actually slide. Racers use this to their advantage with FWD cars (which always understeer) but you don't want an oversteering vehicle for street use. Buy a tire guage, check the pressures before you leave the house a couple of times a season, and if they're low, go to a service station, check them again, then add what you need. Lets say they're 32 cold. Drive to service station, they show 35. Inflate to 38, tomorrow morning they'll be close to 35. If you're in extremely hot areas, check the pressures after driving a while, and if they exceeed the manufacturers maximum by a significant amount, deflate them a little. You'll be one of those people with nice even treadwear and 40+ K tire life, instead of changing them every 30K.
  • toby_laitoby_lai Member Posts: 22
    Over the weekend I did the oil change on my '01 MPV LX (the first one was done by the dealer, and this is the second one). I have read (and posted some) a lot of posts here regarding the oil filter issues on the MPV. On the OEM oil filter (BTW, it says "Mazda" on it, instead of Ford Motorcraft) I bought from the dealer, there were instructions on the package box that says something after the gasket contact of the filter, an additional 3/4 or 1 full turn is required to tighten the filter (as given here by many posters), which I followed when I did mine. However after about 1/2 turn I found it very hard to continue to tighten the filter, even with the wrench, as it was already very tightly installed. I could only managed to tighten about 8/10 of a turn after gasket contact, and have not seen oil leaks so far.

From what it seems from reading previous posts when the folks here did have the problem with their leaking filters, it seemed like the problem was related to the faulty oil pressure relief valve, regardless of whether the oil filter was an OEM one or not, or how tightly it was installed.

I hate to go to the dealer to have the oil changed because of the wait time and everything (like some of the folks here). I hope nothing will happen to my MPV at least until the next oil change, as I guess it'd be properly safer to let the dealer do the job (for insurance against potential problem) given the kind of problematic history of the oil filter issue.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    If you have the 16" rims, you should have 35psi in your tires, not 32.

Also remember that tire gauges can be innacurate. Accu-gauge make good, precise gauges for not alot of money, fwiw.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    sorry for taking so long to answer your question about the wheel balancer...

mazda has added a special hunter brand wheel balancer to the list of r special tools to help balance the wheels of the MPV...My mechanical abilities are lame at best but it was explained to me that this balancer applies a certain amount of substantial weight to the wheel as its being balanced....this does not mean that the MPV can not be balanced without this specific machine...it just makes it alot easier....

This said...don't let this concern you. Consumer often don't realize that we are required to buy expensive and speclailized machines to properly service the vehicles we sell. These are the machines not usually available to the local garages and if they are its out of their financial abilities.
  • sd1228sd1228 Member Posts: 46
    I am trying to buy an MPV-ES (Sand + 4 seasons) in
    Austin, Texas.
    There aren't any available locally in stock.
    Dealer here charges 100 to 250 $ to get it from
    other Mazda dealers in Texas (depending on distance)
    Have you guys heard about this charge ?
    Another charge/fee I found out was
    "Austin Assessment" 237 $.
    Dealer says that Mazda charges it for some kind
    of advertizement fee and it varies from city
    to city.
    Is this correct or dealer is just trying to
    swindle me ?
    BTW the deal I was able to get is 1% over invoice
    minus 2000 $ cash back from Mazda.
    (i.e. invoice + 250 to 300$ - 2000$)
    What do you guys think.

p.s.: Darn, I wish carsdirect service was
    available here.
    Appearently its not legal to buy cars on
    internet in Texas.
    Thank god ! They haven't made buying books
    on internet illegal and banned amazon.
    Your dealer (and his cohorts) may have a strong lobby in Austin to limit your buying choices, but he's not lying about the ad fees. This is our blurb on the pricing pages:

"Advertising Charges:
    Most vehicle invoices include a legitimate advertising fee levied by either the manufacturer or regional dealer groups. Ad fees can range from less than 1% of the vehicle's MSRP to more than 3%, depending on region. Metropolitan-area dealers are more likely to charge higher advertising fees than rural dealers. When you comparison shop for a car, be sure to ask the dealers how much the advertising charge is on the vehicle."

Steve
    Host
    Steve,
    The regional ad fees is ok (I know Toyota charges
    it routinely) but still want to confirm it with
    fellow texasns/austinites here on edmunds.

What about fee to get a vehicle from another
    dealer ? This one definitely bugs me.

I am trying to give the business to the local
    dealership. Why am I getting punished for that.
    (especially its very routine to swap vehicles
    among different dealers)

Has anybody paid this fee before ? I had not heard
    about it.
    Ok...well first off I know little to nothing about tire pressure other than what I posted. I usually run a little under max. So basically what are you reccomending from your expertise on the subject?

35 cold?
    or close to max hot?

I would definitely be interested in what your reccomendations are. I'm running at 34 cold right now.
    Gotcha Sd1228.

While waiting for some neighbors to help you out, check out the Is this a new scam? discussion for comments about that "transport" fee.

Steve
    Host
    ok javadoc so you are saying 35psi on 16" cold? I have the 4 seasons package (16")...I am starting to learn a little here on tire pressure though.

on strange setup fees...they are wrong about purchasing a car over the internet in Texas...I have done it. In fact, I purchased our Xterra over the internet...carsdirect.com (this was 2.5 years ago)

There may be reasons that they don't do it in Texas but it is not because you can't buy cars over the internet in Texas...I know too many people who have done it in addition to myself.
    hmmm, need more Texas help here. What I remember is that "Texas legislation permits car sales only by state-licensed dealers and prohibits a manufacturer from acquiring a dealer's license". But the stink was over Ford selling used cars over the net in Texas. May not be an issue with other internet car sales?

Whew, one last link and that's enough from me!

Steve
    Host
    where in texas are you from ?
    When I type in austin area zipcodes on carsdirect,
    I get a popup saying that the service is not
    available in your region.
    (I also typed in a few more random texas zipcodes)
    Please let me know where in texas did you buy the
    car on carsdirect.
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    I just went through CarBargains to get bids on an MPV, and though it didn't effect me, I saw that they have special rules for Texas (and not for any other state).

http://www.checkbook.org/auto/cb-texas.cfm

Where the normal process is to pay CarBargains, and have them solicit bids from five dealers and give them to you, this is not allowed in Texas. There you have to buy a "membership" for six months. As part of that membership, they will solicit bids on a particular car for you once in that year. The result is pretty much the same but they circumvent Texas laws that prohibit them from selling the bids.

The companies that sell on the internet might be finding some similar way to get around Texas laws.

steve...ahhh I see now...I bought a Nissan and the other people I know did not buy Ford or Mazda either so I guess that is why I didn't know about that... oh well...I learn something new every day.
    I don't own an MPV (yet - still trying to learn when the 2003's will be out) so I don't have the owner's manual. Typically, you will find the tire pressure recommendations on the driver's door or on the door frame in that area. There may well be recommendations in the owner's manual as well.

The Ford Explorers that had problems had a recommendation for 26psi, while Firestone engineers apparently wanted at least 28. So, for people traveling at speed in warm areas, that one anecdotal reference to say that mid-20's is too low.

Most people find the max. inflation pressure (35 psi cold for most tires) to result in a "lumpy" ride, although handling response is improved. So, a general recommenation might be in the 30-max. range.

It is also important to preserve the "bias" between front and rear pressures, if that is indicated by the manufacturer's recommendations. Often, vans will have a loaded rating for the rears that is higher - I don't know if this is true for the MPV, so RTFM. There is no downside, other than a slight loss in ride quality.
    It appears that anything over 30 cold will give you good performance, handling and ride.

It's true that some of the cheapest gages don't work very well. However, some do - I have an expensive racing gage, and some cheap slide-outs, and they all give the same readings within a psi. I ALWAYS use them at a service station, as I've found those to be unreliable, if there is even one in place. As a rule of thumb, your pressure will be 3-5 psi higher when warm. So if you have to fill them, simply overinflate about 5 psi, then check them the next morning and let a little out.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    MPV tires (both 15" and 16") should be inflated to 35 psi cold. You are definitely looking for trouble if you use the max tire pressure printed on the sidewall of the tire. Note that MPV is a heavy vehicle and when the tire gets hot, the pressure in the tire may be well above the max value.

Originally when the new MPVs were released, the recommended tire pressure was 32 psi. Then Mazda issued a recall and updated the labels now calling for 35 psi. And that's what should be used. If you are interested, here is the full details of the recall: http://www.mpvclub.com/info/Recalls/90006.htm

I hope this helps.

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I think vvg's advice is pretty sound.

Tire manufacturers take into account the maximum speed and load rating to establish the max. cold pressure.

I don't see any problem with running at the max pressure other than the wear and traction may not be ideal.
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    I think Miatanet has a good professional discourse on tire pressure.

The short of it is this:
    1. The pressure recommendation on the door of a vehicle (35 psi on the MPV) is the MINIMUM COLD pressure recommended by the car manufacturer. In NO circumstances should you ever have your tire inflated LESS than this amount. It is dangerous.

2. The amount listed on the tire from the tire manufacturer is the MAXIMUM HOT pressure that the tire can handle. The Dunlop SP 4000 on the MPV has a maximum pressure of 51 psi. In NO circumstances should you ever have your tire inflated MORE than this amount. It is also dangerous. Like someone said before, heat will cause the pressure to increase, so take this into account. If your tire is cold, I would subtract at least 5 psi and never inflate it over that.

3. So the perfect balance, at least for the Mpv tire, is somewhere between 35 psi and 45 psi COLD. Above or below these amounts could be dangerous. I have mine set to 40 psi.

Of course, this present a conundrum when purchasing tires... some touring tires or all season tires, like the Michelin X-one, have 35 psi as the maximum pressure. This is fine if the recommended pressure is 28 or 30 on a vehicle. Unfortunately for those of you who have purchased these tires, they really should not be used on the MPV. The reason is that if you set them to 35 psi cold, then when they warm up then they exceed the recommended pressure by the tire manufacturer. BUT, if you set them to 32 psi cold, so that hopefully they do not exceed 35 psi when warm, then they are below Mazda's recommended pressure. Which one is more dangerous, I have no idea. It's a bad Catch-22. The best bet is not to purchase a tire unless it exceeds the minimum pressure recommended by the car manufacturer.

I hope this clears the mud, not just adding to it. I have done a lot of research on this topic, and once you understand the minimum and maximum pressure thing, it really clears up tire shopping.
    The Max pressure on the sidewall is a COLD maximum.
  • tinkywinkytinkywinky Member Posts: 7
    After flipping thru the brochures, I've narrowed my color choices down to black, midnight blue and sand. However none of the colors were available on the dealer's lot where I went for a test drive. Does anybody have a sense which color is the most difficult to get?
    Go to the MazdaUSA website and you can check dealer inventory for the color you are looking for with their vehicle locator.
    Check the vehicle locator option for different dealers on the mazdausa homepage.

When I checked for Washington DC area there were lots and lots of "shimmering sand". Midnight blue and black mica were less common, and I think there were more midnight blue than black.

One of my top choices, coastal blue seems to be rare, especially in ES version.

And of course RED is unavailable.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    My 'DX01 with Yoko tires was a little "squirrely" during the first few weeks. Through an oil change the mechanic (unknown to me)inflated the Yoko's to 36 from 34psi. I noticed the MPV handling improved but didn't know why. Found out later the reason when I saw him do it the second time. Since then I keep the tires at that pressure. I can feel it when one of the tires drops a couple of pounds. I have not rotated and the tread wear is very little at 28+k miles. I mentioned this before - my driving is 80% freeways @65~70mph which I think is why the tread wear is better than expected.
    On a 300 mile trip last weekend with 5 adults and luggage I inflated to 38 rear and kept the front at 36. Cruised at 70mph w/AC (hey, it's Texas...) and ended up with 22.4mpg. Steady as a rock.
    I love this van!
    You are correct....I apologize. I still think it is risky purchasing a tire whose maximum cold inflation is the same as the vehicles minimum cold inflation. It is hard to achieve that balance. Which is why the MPV comes with a stock tire that has 51 psi cold maximum, and Mazda recommends 35 psi cold minimum. Thus you have 16 psi to work with.

Thanks for the correction...
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    If I asked you to send rain to Texas from that "other" state up there last month because of the heat here - Stop!!!
    Never saw the snow you threaten but this is getting a little deep here...
    Send wood for ark instead.
    :))
    First of all, I second the motion for stopping the
    rain in Sounth and Central Texas.
    (Last week it rained 14 inches in 2 days in some
    places. There was some pause, but here it goes
    again)

I am winding down to final decision in terms of
    buying MPV. I need to decide between 2 Sand ES's.
    (Moonroof, CD changer etc.). One with 4 seasons
    and the one without.
    The one with has 250 miles on it (could it
    be all those test drives ?). The other one has
    a lot less (30 or so)
    Also when I test drove (the one with 4 seasons),
    brakes made slight noise. Is it a big concern ?

BTW, the deal is similar for both. 1% over invoice
    minus 2K rebate. (There is 237 $ ad fee)

What do you guys think about the deal ?
    Also which MPV should I prefer, one with 4 seasons
    and 250 miles or one without.
    250 miles kind of concern me. Am I right ?
    I'm glad we have the 4 seasons pkg, but we live in Ohio, not Texas. Although, the tranny cooler and larger radiator are beneficial in any climate and only can help prolong the life of your MPV's components.

I agree 250 miles is alot on a new van, our MPV had only 14 miles after our test drive. Maybe it was used in a dealer trade, check the sticker and see if its from your dealer. I would ask for some compensation for 250 miles.......Free installed rear step plate(must have IMO), a few free oil changes etc.

Your deal sounds great. In my region, I would rather take the $1000 back and 0% for 60.

Good luck,
    Pjd58
    I was watching CNN, and saw Allen Iverson entering a Philadelphia Police Headquarters garage riding in a brand new MPV. I believe his attorney was driving........I'm sure Allen doesn't own a MPV. At least he had a nice ride on the way to Jail:)

Pjd58
    I ended up inflating both rear and front tires to 35psi cold per the sticker on the drivers door. I will see how that runs...since typically it is EXTREMELY hot in south Texas that is probably good to go with if that is min. pressure. I may bump it to 36psi. When you guys talk about load do you load up your van then adjust the pressure?

Sd1228 - My "new" van had 400 miles on it. They did not compensate me didly. ~280 of that was the drive from the dealer it was at to get it to my dealer. Which still leaves quite a bit of miles on it I assume test driving since it was on their lot since 3/2002. So far so good though it is a great van.
  • smarssmars Member Posts: 32
    Looks like Beachnut finally got his 16" wheels. I was kinda hoping to pick 'em up cheep for myself. Just picked up my new LX last night, so its hard to justify new wheels yet.
    Bean3422 wrote: "The amount listed on the tire from the tire manufacturer is the MAXIMUM HOT pressure that the tire can handle."

I beg to differ. The tire #'s are always cold, for the simple reason that it's impossible to define hot. I'd probably have to rejoin SAE again to find a paper on the topic, but there is undoubtedly an industry specification that defines cold - probably 68 degrees F. You can verify this on every tire manufacturer's website. They understand that the tires will run hot, and base their recommendations on maximum load and operating conditions. I did email Michelin to ask for the "official" cold temp, since that's what I have on my cars.
    In that post, I reniged my statement...I apologize for any confusion I may have caused. You are absolutely correct. I still stand by my statement that purchasing a tire for the MPV with a maximum cold pressure of 35 psi is not a good idea. Unless you are absolutely sure that your gauge is accurate, you still stand a chance of either underinflating based on Mazda's recommendation, or overinflating base on the tire company's recommendation. My advice is to just be careful and aware when purchasing tires. With the Dunlop sp4000 stock tires, there is no question that you will be able to stay within the acceptable range.
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Since Bean mentioned them, thought I'd pass along that I picked up a set of these tires yesterday from eBay. These will be the first Dunlops I've ever owned. They're dealer takeoffs, have less than 500 miles, and are mounted on a set of oem Mazda alloys, which are the 5-spoke 16" ones that come with the '02 Lux Pkg ..... can't wait to upgrade the MPV!
    Record your slalom times before and after the upgrade. That's all we really care about...
    I was searching local dealer inventories for an MPV that matched my desired configuration using the vehicle locator at mazdausa.com and came across an interesting configuration. It was sage green with black/beige (vs. typical beige) leather and had a carbon fiber dash. I called the dealer who said it was a standard Mazda configuration, and not an aftermarket modification. (In fact it hadn't actually arrived on the lot yet from Mazda so he couldn't look at it himself to see if anything else was different).

Has anyone heard of this? Is this a special addition, or will there be more arriving like this?
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    of our new ES in the picture gallery!

-Brian
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Congrats on the wheels! I really like the 'Lops, they are quiet and very sticky---couldn't get them to squeal even on the mountain turns.

BTW, 6 cd changer works great. We use it because it is there. Loaded it up with Odyssey tapes for the weekend trip to bay area. Really like the steering wheel controls for volume adjustment.

Happy zooming!
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    We recently completed our across country trip: LA-MA-LA. Here are the numbers: 7174 miles with a mileage of 19.16 mpg. The 2002 MPV carried 2 small adults, 3 small children, 2 small dogs and a small trailer (3x5x3). We usually drove above 70 mph and with the A/C on.
    My biggest surprise, besides a glimpse at a herd of camel, was the number of minivans on the road. They really rule. Amongst those, the GM triplets, a rarity here, seemed quite common elsewhere.
    The van performed flawlessly, clearing the Eisenhower tunnel (11,500') with ease. My only real pet peeves were the lack of visibility of the A/C button (because of the shifter and also when sunlight hits it) and the phony random mode of the CD changer. The kids were really helped by the freshly installed DVD system, and so were we.
    My wife told me after the trip that she's completely in love with the van. :-)
    We had, at times, seven people in it, without any complaint, although nobody was near 6'.

Congratulations to all the new purchasers.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    It's a beautiful van! Boy, that color looks really sharp, and has me thinking that maybe we don't need to wait and hope that the red will come back or that Mazda will offer the Millenium Red...

Very nice. Enjoy!
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Wow, a guy takes off to kill some fish for a couple of days, and this board gets busy!

Bob: I'll send you some drift wood. :-)

Beach: Congrats! Those rims are schweeet, glad you got them!

Subearu: Awesome! Glad you pulled the trigger!

/java
  • asa0526asa0526 Member Posts: 26
    I just bought my MPV LX 2002 - midnight blue - with rear a/c, floor mats, roof racks. Got about $2500 off from below invoice. I actually wanted COASTAL BLUE color but I had been looking for over a month ... and they were either ES or LX with spoiler and no rear-a/c.
    1. My concern is - if I had a transmission cooler, would that affect the warranty ?
    I don't do serious hauling but I just want some peace of mind on the transmission as some Mazdas in the past have some lousy transmissions (i.e. Protege 1995 - 1998, Mazda 626 1992 - 1997).

I don't plan on doing any hauling ... just my regular travel with 3 kids plus wife and our stuff. Still, I want to be on the safe side.

Thanks.