Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Your warranty is fine as long as it is done right. If you were to have a trans problem they would scrutinize it, but a neat and tidy installation will keep most dealers happy.
  • mobydmobyd Member Posts: 2
    On my recent 286 mile trip I posted 22.3 mpg, 2/3 highway driving ac on most of the way-just me I have just over 500 mi. total so far
  • sd1228sd1228 Member Posts: 46
    Folks,
    Finally I have my MPV-ES (Sand color) with
    moonroof etc + 4 seasons.
    I love the way it drives and looks.
    This is my 2nd mazda (I have 95 Protege' with 115K
    miles)
    I hope this new van serves me as well or even
    better.
    Thank you everybody for making this discussion
    board a great place to hang out and exchange
    ideas and experiences. It made my choice of van
    almost too easy.
    Looking forward to many happy miles and many interesting discussions with fellow tow-hall'ers!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My money was riding on you getting the 4 Seasons one :-)

Congrats!

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
  • tinkywinkytinkywinky Member Posts: 7
    First congrats sd1228! I'm about to take the plunge for the exact same van - a Sand ES with 4 seasons and moonroof. The one I found also comes with a 6 CD changer that I don't really want. I'm curious as to what you paid for it, relative to the invoice, if you don't mind sharing. The dealer I talked to offered to take "a couple hundred" off the invoice, before rebates.
  • mark747mark747 Member Posts: 1
    With a toddler and another on the way, we decided that it was minivan time. I did more research and test driving than I had for any previous car purchase. I found this discussion board very helpful. We decided size matters, and went for the MPV because it will fit in the garage and is easy to manuever and park. Also, the power doors and hideaway rear seat was a must. The fact that it looks the best and handles the best was a plus. We could have waited till the baby arrived, but the prices are too tempting. We bought a Silver ES for Invoice+$100-rebate.
    I got 1% above invoice - 2K rebate.
    One problem that I found here in Austin is all
    the Mazda dealerships are owned by the same guy.
    So there wasn't much of choice.
    Also, 4 seasons package is hard to come by here
    as dealer claims that it is targeted for cold weather places.
    (This is already discussed on this board. So
    don't want to repeat it)
    Couple of hundred below invoice is a great deal.
    Also I got financing from PeopleFirst.com (4.79%
    for 36 months) They are wonderful !
    4 seasons are easy to find here, it's ANY MPV with a moonroof that's hard to find.

invoice + $100 - $2000 rebate. And to verify, I browsed around at cardirect.com and here at edmunds (TMV) for my area too. They jived with my price, so I'm happy with it.

-Brian
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Congrats! Good luck, many happy, safe miles.

Pjd58
  • mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    In response to the mileage messages posted earlier, We just had a road trip of about 300 miles and got 24.5 mpg. We bought our '02 LX in mid-March and have 4900 miles on it so far. Early mileage was not that great but since we have put nearly 5000 miles on the car, it seems to be breaking in real nice. My only regret was that I didn't get the 16" rims...the MPV looks alot better with the larger rims... the 15 ichers just don't do it...

MEC
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Sorry, I didn't notice your post earlier about the ebay wheels! I guess you could say I really wanted those babies, eh? I would like to have saved a little money on them, but I've been down that road on ebay before - the nice wheels are a hot commodity - and with my painfully slow 56K connection, I have trouble when the bidding gets furious. Keep your eye on that seller. Hopefully they'll have some more soon.
  • rswaglerswagle Member Posts: 27
    i've gotta say...you guys on this board are the most friendly and helpful bunch i've encountered on edmunds town hall. Steve, javadoc, because of you guys i finally bought an ES sage last month. thanks for all the insight and help.
    happy motoring!
    maybe that's why only a select few are allowed to buy the MPV. However, we are still working on Steve. Not that anything I've said on the ODY/DC board has helped his decision.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    LOL, if I was going to buy a car based on the participants on Town Hall, the MPV would definitely be at the top of my list (although the Subaru and Wrangler fans have a lot of fun in life too!).

btw, congrats to Rswagle and you too, Mark 747, and any other new owners I missed.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • smarssmars Member Posts: 32
    I had "your" wheels on my watch list, but doubted that I'd be able to get them at a price I could justify, since I've got brand new ones. I'd be interested in your thoughts on the SP 400's. I went over to Tire Rack to check the reviews. The reviews on the SP 40's that came on my 15" wheels were not exactly stellar, while the reviews on the SP 400's were very good. Hopefully, mine will wear quickly, giving me an excuse to upgrade (though I don't have any complaints so far).

I've learned from my Miata, that long life tread wear is probably the least important attribute when looking for a tire. The 4 yr old all season radials that were on it when I bought it had plenty of tread left, but were hard as rocks, and handled like dogs.

On a completely different subject, does anyone know the alignment specs on the MPV? When I picked mine up, the salesman mentioned to be sure and come in before the "12 month adjustment" warantee was up, and they would do an alignment on the van. From my Miata experience, I know that Mazda put enough "tolerance" in the specs, that the handling characteristics could be different for right vs left turns. This made it easy to align, and still be within the factory specs, but didn't guarantee a "good" handling car. Just wondered if the same thing is true on the MPV.
    Our 01 MPV LX is approaching 22,000 miles and not enough tread left for Ohio's winters. So, I'll be getting new shoes for the van in the next month or so. I've done alot of research on Tirerack and I'm going to go with Yokohama's Avid Touring. The reviews(new owners) on Tirerack have been stellar.....very quiet, great handling etc. The price is very reasonable $57 per tire, although I'm going to purchase them at Discount Tires for $81 final price(install included). Price is about the same after ship and install from tirerack. The OEM Yokohama's were lousy, but every tire manufacturer makes good and bad tires.

If someone is considering new rubber for their MPV, they may want to look at Yoko's Avid Touring.

Pjd58
  • sritrovatosritrovato Member Posts: 20
    Just wanted to congratulate all the new owners out there. I'm three weeks in and haven't found a thing to complain about except relearning how all the buttons work after 13 years in the old rig. Still checking in here pretty regularly too. This board has become my pseudo "coffee klatch" and a never ending source of information and amusement. What a happy bunch of car owners!
    Did you have a religious experience recently in your MPV? ... sounds a little like predestination :p
    Of course I will be posting my thoughts on the SP4000 Dunlops (and the new rims too!). This forum should expect nothing less from me, hehe! Since I'm pulling the X-Ones off the MPV and throwing them on my Accord, the 'Lops were like icing on the cake. I shouldn't have to get new tires for a while - I'm hoping to get maybe 20K out of them. Time to start looking around for an oem rear spoiler!
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your 6-disc changer and your MPV too. I knew you'd like the changer - rather handy for the music enthusiasts (and safer too I might add)!
    Well, I finally got caught up with all the threads I follow, including this one - wow! Congrats to asa0526, sd1228, caniel, mark747, rswagle, joeyi_sys, and Brian too (again!)! Sorry if I missed anyone. Stick around and post often!
  • sandesdriversandesdriver Member Posts: 15
    I too have been considering Yokohama Avid Touring as a good price performer. I'm hesitating because of some previous comments about maximum cold pressures vs. the MPV recommended 35 psi inflation. Of course Mazda is non-communicative about lower inflation rates or changing to S rated touring tires.

Let us know if you decide to get the Avids and what you considered.
  • etbulletbull Member Posts: 5
    and the dealer quoted us $500 over invoice. But then, they added on a charge of $299 for cleaning, inspecting, and adjusting new vehicles. The salesman says all dealerships add in this cost of anywhere from $200-350. Has anyone else heard of this cost? Has anyone negotiated this charge down?

TIA, Elaine
    Run, don't walk as fast as you can from that dealer. First, $500 over invoice is OK, not great as long as they deduct the $2000 rebate. Read earlier posts, alot of recent buyers have been paying 100+ invoice minus the 2K rebate. Secondly, that Prep fee is a crock, and I would deep six any dealer that operates in that fashion.

If you go with 0% for 60 months, I would pay only $500 over invoice.

Beachy, Don't you live in FL? Help Elaine find a good dealer.
    JMO, Good Luck,

Pjd58
    I spoke with Tirerack and they felt there would be no problem with the Yoko Avid touring on the MPV. The sales rep personally sold alot of these tires on Vans and they have performed very well. IMO, Mazda standards on tires are set high to cover themselves from potential problems.

One of the most recent reviewers owns a MPV.

I'll let you know when I get them installed on the van.

Pjd58
    Tell that dealer to fly a kite. Hopefully there is another Mazda dealer near you - AND that they don't operate in a similar fashion.

Our '02 ES that we picked up Wednesday did NOT have any extra fees, and aside from the salesperson, it was a painless experience. The salesperson did try panning that 'environmental protection' balarney. What a crock! "Are you sure you don't want it?" No, no, no...he finally understood us and completed our sale w/o that.

BTW, I just put on some environmental protection of my own on our ES - I WAXED it! ;) Cost me $4 for the bottle.

If anyone out there does want that protection crud and you want it cheap, just say no a few times. He went from the price on the price list to the 'highest' protection for the 'lowest' protection price and so forth. I'm sure someone who cares about getting that stuff could bargin even more for it.

-Brian
  • ohnerdsohnerds Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on and off for about six months, enjoying your posts. Today we just went ahead and did it: we brought home a midnight blue 2002 LX with 4-season and LX package, cassette, roofrack, dual A/C. Our OTD payment was $23.5K (including 7% state sales tax). Was this good? Most of our negotiation was based on an OTD price, so calculating backwards has my head in a spin.
    Welcome and congrats! Looks like the MPV is flying off the dealer's lots........many new owners lately. Figuring your MSRP at just under $26,000, I believe you did OK. Looks like you paid Approx 22K + tax. Our 01 LX has the exact same options as your 02, but we have the 2.5 engine:( You did well, don't lose any sleep and enjoy your new ride. Love that Midnight blue!

Pjd58
    Well, FL is a pretty big state - where do you live and are you willing to drive some? Although I can't imagine you'd have to go too far. Mazda of Ft. Myers is advertising "no dealer fees, no tricks, no surprises" on all Mazdas. They have an LX w/roof rack, rear air, floormats, and bumper step-plate for invoice, $21,882 minus the $2K rebate. Or, you can take 0% for 48 months instead of the rebate. They're good folks to deal with if you're in the area.
  • etbulletbull Member Posts: 5
    I live in the Ft Walton Beach area (panhandle). We are actually looking for an ES with 4 seasons, cargo net, cargo mat, and rear step plate. MSRP should be $28257 and invoice $26,129. I was kind of surprised by the $299 dealer fee. I am going to call the local dealer tomorrow to see how bad they want to sell me a MPV and if they will drop the fee. It seems that the average price is about $300 over invoice or so (minus rebate). I let them know that I am also considering the Honda (but that would be $5000 more) and that I am willing to drive to another dealer.
    Ft. Walton is about as far from here as you can get, so I don't think you'll be giving my dealer a call anytime soon, unless you want to make a 3 day vacation out of it and come down, which is an idea ... it's about an 8+ hour drive though!

I'm guessing you already know if there's a dealer in Pensacola, Panama City, or Tallahassee. Try using mazdausa.com to find out. I would do like you said - go back and see how bad they want to sell you the van. The end of the month is coming up, which is usually a good time to buy. If they're unwilling to deal for a small amount like $300 that's unfortunate. Then you have to decide if you really want the MPV bad enough to drive. I'm familiar with your area and I know the next Mazda dealer isn't just down the street - more like 1-3 hours down the road. Maybe you can get something back from them like oil changes or car washes for life? Keep in mind that you'll be getting your MPV serviced locally too. Good luck!
  • asa0526asa0526 Member Posts: 26
    My 2002 MPV now has 501 miles ... midnight blue - LX with rear A/C, roof rack etc.
    My question is on the transmission.
    Everytime I go from accelerate (either from 0 mph or from any low speed), I hear a clicking sound. Is this normal ? This is probably the transmission changing gears ... but should it be this audible (with windows down) ?

My Nissan sedan (Altima - traded this in for the MPV) never did this. Nor did my previous other Altima, Sentra and Civic.
    Other than that, love the MPV. I researched for over 2-3 months --- looking at the Quest and Sienna too.
    Thanks.
  • mom2catsmom2cats Member Posts: 1
    It's great to hear about the financing/rebate! The MPV is at the top of our list. Am I allowed to call it cute?

Now I just need to find a good central NJ dealer, and figure out what to do with our 2000 Accord!
  • basurfbasurf Member Posts: 42
    well I don't think I have heard that clicking just on acceleration but my MPV clicks like a mofo even after I turn it off. I'm not sure exactly what it is...almost like something cooling off but more of a click than just a pop.
    I know what basurf is saying. I have heard the
    same clicking as well. Mostly right after I park
    it after driving for some time.
    (I have heard the same sound from my Protege as
    well)
  • sritrovatosritrovato Member Posts: 20
    I don't know how far this would be for you, but Maple Shade (in either Maple Shade or Turnersville) seems to be pretty good. I corresponded with them way back when I was doing preliminary research. They were just too far away for me to go there, unless I couldn't get what I wanted in my own neighborhood. Check out their ads in the Sunday Inquirer. I haven't crunched the specific numbers, but it appears that they are advertising at about invoice - $2000 rebate. (That would be with no financing.) Taking their promo rates would reduce the rebate amount. They are a large dealer, so inventory should be good and negotiating relatively easy. Good luck!
    My old '99 Accord used to drive me crazy if we drove it home late, parked it in the garage, then went straight to bed. Our bedroom is behind the garage and that clicking noise from the exhaust system cooling down would keep me awake sometimes! It never went away even after 50K miles. Fortunately our MPV barely clicks or pops when cooling. If you hear a clicking noise while driving/shifting then it's prolly not the same thing. I've never heard this noise in our MPV, but I have a different tranny - and a quirky one at that!
    This issue has been discussed over and over..
    But is it a good idea to do the first oil change
    on my new 02' MPV at 1000 miles or so. Or should I
    wait for the regular 5000 miles interval.
  • basurfbasurf Member Posts: 42
    I think mine even clicks while the engine is running. I haven't heard it while driving but I can get outside and listen to it click while parked with the engine running and if I turn the engine off then it really starts clicking.

-=clickity click=-

Weird that only some MPVs have this...anyone else have clicking issues? '02 here only 1000 miles.
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    That's the sound a dolphin makes in my 2 year old's animal rhyme book! Anyway...I hear the ping, ping, ping after I have parked in the garage. I also hear water from the A/C condensor splashing and sizzling as it hits something hot, not sure what. I have not heard any pinging while driving...

The pinging is irritating, but it does go away after a couple of minutes. I just figured that there are a few annoying things we have to deal with since we have a FORD engine...Mazda can only do so much with what they have without re-engineering it (and then they might as well build their own engine!) As long as the engine lasts, I don't care.

I did see an article the other day that said the next MPV ('05 ?) will be based on the Mazda 6 platform. This could be a very good thing...but it also might mean a bigger minivan. (At least it is not going to be based on the Windstar platform as was rumored!)
    I just figured that there are a few annoying things we have to deal with since we have a FORD engine...

The pinging after the car is turned off is just the exhaust system contracting as it cools. I can't think of a new car that I have owned that didn't do it and all have been import branded.
  • budmelonbudmelon Member Posts: 27
    Do you have a link as to where you read it? I would love to read it.
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    We got our first one at 2,400 miles and the van runs just fine. We will now be on a 5,000 mile interval. IMHO, changing oil at 1000 miles is overkill.

OldStyle
  • asa0526asa0526 Member Posts: 26
    I have been using 87 Unleaded in my 2002 MPV. In the Mazda website, the spec mention 91 Unleaded. But the MPV manual mentions 87.

What type of gas are you putting in your MPV ?

(My MPV is 2002 - and is now at 580 miles, except a 'click' sound as I accelerate/change gears and the transmission stalk that obscures the HVAC controls partially, I have no real problems with this van.)
  • doctord13doctord13 Member Posts: 22
    Haven't seen any discussion of the S plan from ford for the MPV in a while. One sales person I spoke with today stated that it was only a $ 50. savings under invoice, but old (Feb) postings made it sound more like $500-800. Anyone with insight, Host?? any references???
    I believe Mazda is heading in the WRONG direction. The Mazda 6, although designed by Mazda(Some Japan engineering), will have mostly American parts and made at the old Flat Rock(626) plant in MI. The day is coming no NA Mazdas will be built in Japan. Mazda's American products have had more problems than their Japenese made products....626, B2000, Ford's with Mazda nameplates. I purchase Mazda products because I want a high quality, reliable Japanese made vechicle. We only purchased the MPV, after extensive research on the Ford Durtec, a proven winner. Hey, the MPV is the only Minivan in America, assembled in Japan.
    Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the styling of the Mazda 6, I just want a Japanese product. I pushed up the purchase of the my Protege, since I didn't want a Focus platform Protege.

Before everyone here thinks I'm Anti-American and I'm burning Old Glory in my backyard......I always try to buy American made products......almost impossible though. Did you ever try to buy an American made TV? Almost every TV manufactured is out of Mexico. My hard earned money goes for the best quality product with proven reliability.

JMO.......Flame on:)
    Pjd58
    I hear where you're coming from and know what you mean (was that a click or a cliche?)! This question floats around in the Honda forums also in regards to build quality, fit/finish, and paint durability. I've read good arguments from both sides, so I'm not sure where I stand on this issue yet. IMO it appears that Mazda could suffer more in QC due to it's association with Ford, than say Honda who owns everything in NA and just manufactures/assembles the vehicle here. Alot of it will come down to QC and engineering. Hopefully Mazda will retain a strong hand in that process. But FWIW, I'm glad that our MPV was made in Japan and that my Accord has a "J" vin.
    First oil change at 2,500 miles and then every 5000 miles thereafter. I would only change my oil more often if I drove under very severe conditions......all stop and go(no highway), dusty conditions and extreme temps. Check with your Service advisor and save all receipts if you change your oil yourself.

Pjd58
    I hear ya! I'd rather have a Japenese Accord than a Marysville,Ohio Civic or Ontario/Alabama, ODY. I live 30 miles from the Ohio plant and see some of the morons Honda hires. I agree, it all comes down to Mazda's QC and less interference from Ford. I'm sorry to say, I have less faith in American, Canadian and especially Mexican(Focus,Sentra)products. My neighbor bought a Sentra last month, and had no idea it was made South of the Border.

Pjd58