Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

Comments

• bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    A while ago, my dad was planning to buy tires for his '95 Subaru Legacy sedan at Sam's Club. He mentioned their price to Discount Tire, never expecting they could/would match it. They ended up beating it by a few bucks.

My experience is that the warehouse clubs have by far the lowest prices of any physical stores (i.e., excluding mail-order shops like Tire Rack). I would prefer to have Discount Tire install my tires, so I plan to see what Sam's Club and Costco have, then see if Discount will match price.

Also, Sam's Club and Costco have more tires available than just the ones on display. The tires they can order represent a much better selection than the limited selection on display in the store.
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    I looked at Costco and Sam's but found neither had much, if any, selection in the stock size for the Trooper. Call me silly, but I wanted to stick with the stock.

I checked Sears this week for the Pirellis and was quoted $454.80 for the set. The sale may be regional. I think that $406 from Discount Tire would be hard to beat. Tirerack.com was $386 delivered, but then I'd have to pay $40-60 for installation... which probably wouldn't included lifetime balance/rotate.
  • joeamigojoeamigo Member Posts: 1
    I am selling a brand new, never used Draw-Tite wiring harness (to attach trailer lights) for 98 and newer Rodeo and Amigo. Bought for $45 will sell for $30.

Email me at jwhite9@us.ibm.com

Joe
  • deimosdeimos Member Posts: 57
    Hi,

It's been asked before, but does anybody know where to get a rear spoiler(roof mounted) for a '99 Rodeo? Is it glued and if so would that be reliable?

Also are side moldings really usefull(we only go into bushes a few times a year, same about dirt and I wax my truck once a year, get the paint inspected, etc)?

Could salt(in our LONG Canadian winter) accumulate behind them and attack the doors?

Where can I buy dual tone horns? Do they have to be specific for the Rodeo, or could I just walk in any parts store(E.g. Canadian Tire, etc)?

Did you put better speakers in your Rodeo?
    I've just put a Sony CD head unit(had only a Clarion cassette before and move that one into our second car)...

Thanks for all the hints!
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    in addition to my stock horns in my trooper.

You can check em out on my webpage at http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper

I bought em @ Susquehana motorsports for $38.

-mike
    I just thought I'd mention the Costco/Sam's Club option. They don't usually have 245/70/16 on display since it's such an uncommon size, but each store I've asked at has usually had 1-2 models available for order.

You should be pleased with the $406 price from Discount Tire. That sounds hard to beat.

I've got about another 8-12 months left on my current Dueler 684s, and I too plan to replace them with the stock 245/70/16 size.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    Well, it took me two days this weekend, but I got it on. It is really cool. The instructions and hardware supplied weren't sufficient so I had to make several trips to Sears. Metric bolts are slim pickings too, I managed to get steel grade 8.8. Overall a fun process, and this thing is strong. I can stand on it!
    Get some pics and e-mail em to me, I'll put em on my webpage if you want!!

-mike
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    I've seen others here at edmunds embed an image with their message. Does anyone know how they do that?
  • ricksrlricksrl Member Posts: 17
    Anyone got a line on a part number and source for a clean installation for trailer wiring for my 2ooo Trooper? Thanks!
    Check my webpage at

http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper

I bought the harness @ drawtite.com I believe. You have to take a gromet out of the left rear inner fender, next to the tailpipe. In there is a plug, you plug in the new harness, and push in the gromet, and that's it.

-mike
  • rstrubrstrub Member Posts: 1
    HI Fellow ISUZU people. I need help. Im transplanting a 1995.5/97 Rodeo 3.2 into my 93 PUP 2wd short bed. I am also installing the 95.5 interior/dash/wiring harness(no airbags). The transplant isnt the problem, the trans is. I need a 2wd trans. My 95.5 Factory workshop manual has a MUA? and a t-5 trans listed as manuals, i will be getting a 4x4 Rodeo (95.5-97) salvage, does the bellhousing unbolt from the "guts" and can i install any T-5 Chevy trans to the bellhousing?maybe 2.8L S10 T-5??? Any tech help would be appreciated. Also did the firewalls change much between 93 and 97 besides the hydrolic clutch instead of cable,i know i have to weld in the new mount for the hydrolic one. Do the pedals use the same mounts between 95 and 95.5?? All i know is that a 195 HP motor in a 2600lb truck equals TICKETS :o)
    thanks
    Ron
    Post your question at www.itog.com in the General Isuzu Discussion area. There are lots of mechanical folks over there with experience in these sorts of areas.
    I am most likely going to upgrade my shocks with OME. I am not interested in replacing the springs, well actually I am, but don't want to raise the truck at all so I am going to stick to the shocks only. My 2 remaining questions that need to be answered before I do this are:

1. If the OME shocks w/o springs are different (than the ones that come with the suspension kit) and valved to meet the OEM spring rate, will I be getting any better performance than the stock equipment?

2. After upgrading the shocks, will I need to have the alignment done?
    I'm planning on getting the OME springs, they only lift is about 1.5", which after I put the stuff that I usually carry in the back (small floor type jack, tools, rope, hitch, etc.) I should be back at the stock height.

I'm pretty sure that the shocks are the same even if the springs lift it an inch or 2. I haven't heard anyone needing to get it re-aligned after shock replacements.

-mike
    I carry about 25-50lbs worth of gear in the back at any time and do not notice any difference in ride height. What does effect the height is the amount of fuel I am carrying. I notice about 1/2" drop when the tank is full. That makes sense though 22.5 gallons of any liquid is extremely heavy.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I THINK the OME shocks are the same with or without the spring kit...but I'm not positive. The difference in ride height is likely not enough to require longer shocks, and most of the websites I have seen only list one number for shocks.

I bought mine separately and have had no problems with travel, and the calibration seems fine.

I'm not sure about alignment, I would be interested to hear from someone who has had their springs on longer than a week like me...
  • deimosdeimos Member Posts: 57
    For a '99 Rodeo, I'm looking for ways to:
    a) Have better lights? I heard that some Hella bulbs give 30% more luxes(light), but would I need to change the lamps themselves?

b) Yellow/all weather fog lights(I have white ones now)
    I have the feeling that the white ones are not much good in a snow storm :)

Any hints please?
    Hellas are world class, no need to change the sockets or anything. Check out susquehana motorsports on my homepage at http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper and talk to ken over there.

-mike
  • bfree2bfree2 Member Posts: 4
    Will the new clear and red rear lenses from a 2000/2001 trooper fit on a 98? Just wondering if it is a straight bolt on or if they actually changed the shape somoehow.

Ean
    From the Dealer topic, I think I'll add some aftermarket direct drop in speakers after I get the suspension hammered out, probably before I get around to putting on the Pirelli Scorpions.

-mike
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    Replacing stock speakers does make a big difference. I replaced the fronts with 6 1/2" Pioneers and really liked the sound difference. A few days later I also replaced the rear with 4" Infinity and the sound got even better. The stock wiring harness for the speakers did not fit either of the replacements so there is some wiring work that needs to be done, but not difficult. Isuzu did a good job of providing access to the speakers. All you have to do is pry off the speaker grills and you have instant access to the speakers. If you want ot see a difference, go to your local audio shop (or Best Buys, Circuit City) and check out their car speakers. Then pry off the front and rear grills for the stock speakers and it will become obvious that there is a difference. By the way, the 6 CD changer in my 2000 Trooper has not skipped, yet.
  • pat_pendingpat_pending Member Posts: 36
    I put Polk ex602s up front for a dramatic difference. (The ex602 is their second-best speaker; their dx series 6-1/2" speaker is supposedly too deep.)

I put Polk dx4s in back for even more clarification of the sound, but don't expect much bass from ANY 4 inch speaker.

If you buy from Crutchfield, you pay a couple dollars more, but they throw in a speaker adaptor so you don't need to rewire anything, which in any event would not be difficult. Or you could find a speaker wire adaptor at a local store for most popular vehicles.

I am adapting 6x9 Pioneers for my Trooper, and have a spare pair of Polk dx4s, with speaker wire adaptor, for sale cheap. Make an offer if you want. ksalen@nixonpeabody.com
  • bama_lukebama_luke Member Posts: 27
    I'm considering adding a CD changer to my 2000 Rodeo LS. My initial thought was to mount the changer under either the driver's or passenger's seat. However, the AC/Heat blowers under the seats won't allow this. I also don't want to mount the changer to the floor in the back of the turck because I'd have to cut the floor protector. The only other place I can think of is a horizontal mount abouve the rear wheel on the passenger side, but I'm not sure if I could get a solid mount there, or on the back of one of the back seats, but this would require the changer to sit at a slightly upside down incline, and I'm not sure if this would have an effect on the changer. Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated.

Luke
    Luke: Any idea if you could mount it in-dash? Or perhaps go with a 6 disc in-dash to conserve space? The other option could be to block off the heating vent to allow mounting of it under the seats.

-mike
  • bama_lukebama_luke Member Posts: 27
    I'd go with an in-dash unit as long as I'd also still be able to play cassettes. I've been able to find some really good deals on changer units, and so far the in-dash changers, or add on CD players have been more expensive options. I may not have a choice, but figured someone here may have some ideas.
    maybe you could go with the Isuzu 6 disc in-dash changer? Or better yet, see if anyone who has a 2000, or 2001 rodeo with the 6 disc in-dash + Cassette unit, is upgrading their's and will be willing to sell you their old one cheap. Check out my webpage http://www.iace.com/ia/trooper and post a message on the Outdoor Wire site.

-mike
    Good info on the speakers that will fit. In the popping off the covers front and rear on the trooper, are these held in simply by plastic prongs? no clips--and was there any sense of anything being stressed when popping off the covers. That would give people an idea of what to expect. Thanks for the info.
    This was brought up in the New Model's area, but I felt everyone here would get use out of it.

I bought my hidden hitch from a place on the internet (i'm not sure where, but JC whitney carries them) the Trooper hitch was around $125 which included shipping. From drawtite.com i ordered a T-connector for the lights @ $25. I'm pretty incompetant when it comes to mechanical stuff, but it took me about 45 minutes to install it. 5 or 6 bolts go right into the frame, and you remove the rear tow hook (which can be re-mounted on the 2nd tow hook point in the front) and the wiring took less than 10 minutes to connect to a connector in a sealed compartment next to the exhaust pipe. I think the dealer wanted in excess of $300-$450 to do the job. Very simple install straight forward.

-mike
    To second what Mike said, I also installed a Hidden Hitch on my 2000 Trooper. Very easy, but did have to drill a hole thru the frame on either side for additional bolts. The hitch came with all the hardware, including two nuts with wires welded to them that get slipped thru holes in side of the frame for the bolt holes mentioned above. Just ordered T-connector for wiring from Mike's site mentioned in an earlier post.
    Thanks Mike!

Rick
    This is very easy to do. Almost anything with a flat edge will work - regular head screwdriver, utility knife, etc.

There are 4 or 5 plastic "male" tabs that fit into a "female" notch. They are very easy to remove, even for a moron like me. Just try to put the utility knife fairly close to the first tab you're trying to remove so you get the grille removal started more easily. I've had 2 Troopers ('96 and '98) and have removed the front and rear grille covers several times. There should be no feeling that you are in danger of breaking off the tabs. They seem pretty durable. I know I don't have the most delicate touch with this sort of thing, and I've had no problems.
    Just thought I'd mention that the changer in my '98 Trooper skips quite a bit. It has trouble on what I consider pretty minor bumps and potholes. Other cars with factory CD players (not changers) that I've driven over the same spots hardly ever skip. It's been fairly disappointing.

In the last few months, the changer has also refused to play discs pretty often. The display shows an "ERR" or "ERR1" code (can't remember which).

I did take the truck to the dealer this week and the dealer ordered me a new one, under warranty, with no hesitation. I didn't even ask for a new one; all I said was that it had been refusing to play discs, and when I got my paperwork back upon picking up the truck it showed a new changer was on order.

The rest of my visit to the dealer wasn't as pleasant; I'll report on that in the Dealers topic.

Bottom line: the factory in-dash CD changer is very convenient, but it doesn't seem to be quite as solid and reliable as I'd like. It seems that other people have reported here or on itog.com that their factory in-dash changers skip quite a bit.
    I did get one Err, but that was on an MP3 that I had burned, so I figure it is probably just a bad burn. Never skips even off-roading. Maybe the newer ones are better?

-mike
    I should have mentioned that I play only pre-recorded CDs, and it's these "regular" CDs that are causing problems. I have no CD-Rs, CD-RWs, or other different types.
    So you had to drill, huh? That's interesting, I thought in 99 they started coming out with threaded holes already there, as my 99 did. I think paisan's 00 also required no drilling. I wonder why yours did?
    No drilling was required, the threaded holes were there already at least on my 00. Maybe there were 2 holes in the hitch that I should have drilled and didn't? I don't think I had any leftover bolts though so that isn't the case I don't think.

-mike
  • ocelot1ocelot1 Member Posts: 101
    hey I just ordered a hitch for my 98 amigo from the dealer as far as they could tell its bolt on only i'll find out next friday hope their right. I also just bought this amigo first Isuzo product
    If you go to the hidden hitch web site you can do a search on the trooper and get the hitches that fit and download a pdf file of the instructions (log in as guest). The 83514/87544 which can haul up to 5000 lb with 550 lb tongue wt is what I put on my '99. It is a straight bolt on (3 bolts one side and 2 on the other). The instructions give the torque setting for the bolts (so you don't snap off the weld bolts on the frame). I did it by myself and it took about two hrs (but I took my time and had to clean some sand out of my bolt holes under there). I put the hitch on some milk crates with wood blocks shimming it to the right height and bolted it in. Don't bolt anything too tight on either side until all bolts are in otherwise you may need to loosen it to get the others in. Use some bolt lubricant in case you want to take it off later. I bought mine from Automotive Accessories in NY--they have it shipped straight from Hidden Hitch. It looks great like mike says, only the receiver shows.
    There is total of six bolts, three on each arm, holding the hitch to the frame. The two on either side closest to the rear were threaded. Hitch manufactured by "Hidden Hitch" and I am really pleased with the way it looks on the Trooper. All you can see is the 2" square reciever. Perhaps we have different hitch classes, mine is class IV.
    Also, I have a six CD changer in my 2000 and I have never had a CD skip. I burn my own and also play pre-recorded ones. Go figure!

Rick
    Ah, that's probably it, mine is a Class III.
  • atltrooperatltrooper Member Posts: 2
    I have a '99 Trooper. About 3 months ago had a Alpine 6 ad changer installed by Hi-fi Buys in Atlanta. The changer is mounted vertically on top of the passenger side rear wheel well. I also have on of those velcro carpet wraps that wrap around the changer and protect it from knocks, etc. I have noticed that when the rear of the Trooper is full with stuff, the changer rarely skips. When the rear is empty, the changer skips much more frequently. Overall I like the location of the changer... it's up out of the way and still easy to get to. I assume the quality of the Alpine unit is OK... fortunately I usually have a fair amount of stuff in the back most of the time so the skipping isn't too annoying. I guess I'll just live with it. Hope that helps.
  • troopernewbietroopernewbie Member Posts: 60
    Most CD changers are designed to mount horizontally or vertically. However, some changers have a switch (or screw) that has to be set for the way the changer is mounted. You may want to pull out the destructions.. er, uh instructions and see if there is such a thing on the Alpine unit and if it is set correctly. You never know if an installer really knows his horizontals from his verticals!

Is your changer just Velcroed to the wheel well or is it in one of the padded mounting boxes? Seems like the padded box would cut down on skipping and help protect the unit.
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    Just an update on my latest accessory installations or in the case of one, an unsuccessful attempt:

Wheelskins -
    Ordered a "Eurotone" (two-color) leather steering wheel cover from Wheelskins and so far I'll have to say that I'm impressed with both the quality and the ease of installation. Took me about two hours for a "30 min" to 1 hr." installation...LOL...but I really expected that:) I custom ordered it, told them how many inches I wanted of the "sand" color and how many inches of the "dark brown". I did dark brown on the sides and sand on the top and a little bit of the bottom. It looks great, but (my fault) there are a couple of bumps at the bottom so I'm going to take it off and get the debris out. If any of you do this BE SURE to check for this before you install. Awhile back someone posted that their color came off (grey, I believe) but there's a 90 day warranty so I'm not worried.

WAAG center guard -
    I'm installing it toninght after my son goes to bed (wife's out of town on a business trip) but I think this will go great. Very high quality, mediocre instructions but it's pretty self explanitory. Got it from urbanjunglesuv.com...talk to Ian (ext. #711)...very good service overall.

InvincaShield -
    What a bunch of crap promoting this as an easy install for the weekend amateur!!! I got only the grille pieces (2 - left and right) and the front fender flare pieces. All pieces would require cutting and trimming for a tight, bubble free fit and while this is probably a good product if a professional installs it (much like window tint) it is DEFINATELY not for the amateur!! The thing that really burns me is I was assured it was cut EXACTLY and wouldn't require cutting or trimming. I threw it all in the trash...it was only $35...thank goodness I didn't spend $200 on the full kit. NOT RECOMMENDED UNLESS YOU HAVE A PROFESSIONAL INSTALL THE PRODUCT!
    To those of you who have put a Hidden Hitch on your Trooper, what do you think about re-installing the original tow hook, probably using longer bolts to compensate for the thickness of the hitch metal at the tow hook location?

While the hitch can be used for pulling, it is not a good idea to pull more than the rating of the hitch, which is very easy to do when pulling someone out of a mudhole. A tow hook would provide much greater pulling capacity.
    I re-located mine to the front of the vehicle. I usually use the hitch to pull anyone out of a ditch. Chances are you are gonna spin your wheels before pulling >5000lbs out of a ditch.

-mike
    if you are doing a snatch recovery, i.e. getting a running start and letting the elasticity of the tow strap work, you could easily go over 5000 lbs.
    Yeah I've never done a snatching procedure, I always felt that that was kinda dangerous. I always try to do a non-running start pull.

-mike
    Hey guys, just a reminder, the group buy is going to be closing on Jan 31 for the ECB Nudge Bars. E-mail me off-line if you have any questions about it.

-mike
  • iridiumflashiridiumflash Member Posts: 10
    You mentioned that you installed the WAAG Center Guard recently. Was it easy? Any drilling or cutting or exactly bolt on? I'd like to do this but don't want to get involved in a major modification project. Thanks much in advance for the info.
  • arktrooper1arktrooper1 Member Posts: 101
    Yes! It was very easy. After I collected all the tools I needed...a few sockets (forgot the size, but if you have a basic metric socket set you'll be ok) and a 3/8" in. drive it took about 30 min. actual time. Two things to know that I didn't, however. #1 - The tow hook on the passenger side is used as a "washer" with the tow hook and tow hook bolts to secure one side of the guard. These MUST BE MOVED to the DRIVER'S side though. The hook cannot be positioned on the passenger side with the guard in place. No big deal. #2 - The upper supports that extend through the grille and that some on this board have concerns about damaging the radiator in a collision are NOT necessary. Ian at "urbanjunglesuv.com" explained that they are really there if you get the headlight guards to prevent torsional flexing and I believe him. I weigh 205 lbs and can literally sit on the guard with absolutely no sign of flexing. This thing is SOLID! Additionally, the upper supports contact the bumper and would undoubtedly rub through the paint on the bumper, something I want to avoid.

Overall I'm very happy with the guard, the quality and urbanjunglesuv.com. Talk to Ian, ext. #711. He's the WAAG specialist. Be prepared to wait though. The SUV accessory market is growing so fast that it's hard for this stuff to stay in stock. I had to wait nearly a month for my bar, but it was worth it.

I plan to install my Hella 500 driving lights this weekend. I'm going to use the switch as well as wire them to the high beams so I can defeat them if i want. I'll post and let you know how that install went.

-Dave
This discussion has been closed.