Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I didn't realize that the upper mount was on the body, thought it was on the frame. My point was that for a 2" suspension lift, the stock sized shocks are fine. Anything beyond that and you'd want to have bigger shocks.

-mike
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Mike, you are probably right about the body lift not affecting the upper shock mount. My bad!
  • kpdiikpdii Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new Trooper S last weekend and have a couple of questions.

I went to Best Buy and had them install a Rockford Fosgate CD/MP3 player in the truck. Once installed, I got awful radio reception. The installer said this was due to the dual diversity antennas in the rear side glass. He said that we could play with it and get a little better reception, but not as good as stock. I made them take it out and I got a full refund. What has been your experiences with after market stereos.

Also, I have been looking at many of the accessory sites I have seen for Troopers for things like trailer hitches, seat covers, and interior kits. I haven't found a site yet that says it carries parts for my 2002 but they list parts for Troopers through 2001. I didn't think that there was any difference between the 2001 and 2002 Troopers, am I wrong? I need to order a trailer hitch pretty soon so you help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Patton
    Welcome to the few, the proud the trooper owners. Anything 98-2002 will fit 2002. Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com especially the vendor section. For a hitch, go for hidden hitch I have one on mine and it's great.

No aftermarket stereo so can't help you out there.

-mike

• dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    I've placed a Kenwood 519 (I think) into my '95 Trooper. I don't have the dual/in-glass antenna though. It could very easily be a problem if each antenna recieves a signal that is slightly different/out-of-phase from the other, you need to interpret it. Perhaps if one of the antennas were to be disconnected, an after-market stereo wouldn't be so bad...but that's just a guess.

Also, I'm not sure how good rockford fosgate is at tuning in radio stations in the first place.
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I just put a Hidden Hitch class III hitch on my 2000 S model. I bought it from JC Whitney.com for $99 plus another $25 for the Light Adapter. It took me 15 minutes to put it on and another 2 minutes to connect the light adapter. Shipping was $19. I couldn't even come close to these prices in teh local stores.
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    "due to the dual diversity antennas" How good is stock radio reception with the dual diversity antennas? It could be that all you need to adapt to a single antenna input is a impedance matched signal combiner. It could also be that the Isuzu radio uses a special noise cancellation circuit with two antenna inputs to get great reception. I am an electrical engineer and the idea of a well designed dual antenna system sounds great to me.
    I spoke with a mechanical engineering buddy of mine that's into audio today about the dual antennas. He mentioned rabbit ears with TVs (nowadays I think it is more of a loop at Crack Shack). Now I know, as did he, that certain head units get better reception than others do and he claims that Pioneer is usually top of the line in this area. Could an off-the-shelf head unit take the dual inputs, out of phase or whatnot, and get a good signal out of it, or is the best bet to unhook one of the antennas?

So...are you going to design a system for the in-glass Troopers? :-)
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I have the single mast antenna on my 1995 Trooper-S so no dual antennae to play with. Although, I might someday upgrade the mast to something like the one at

http://www.ccrane.com/auto_antennas.asp.

Also check out http://www.ccrane.com/news/whatsinthenews4.8.02.htm
    My (limited) understanding of the diversity antenna system is that a computer chip constantly compares the signals from the two antennas and selects the strongest signal for that given moment. Chances are the Pioneer was not set up to use that system.

Sounds like boxtrooper might have some ideas to make those antennas work with an aftermarket unit. That would be nice because I don't plan on replacing my unit with a factory one if it craps out after I'm out of warranty...
  • kpdiikpdii Member Posts: 2
    I checked out the hitches, and I will probablly get the Hidden Hitch brand from J C Whitney, I just need to find out if I will have to drill to install the Class III or not. It sounds like I might have to, if so I will check out Draw Tight.

For the racks, I am going to get the Overlander Safari Rack, but I need to wait to find it on sale first.

About the radio, it was recommended that I contact aftermarket audio supplier Merta (www.metraonline.com). They answered back that there are no adaptors made for my truck. What we didn't know is there is an amplifier for those in glass antennas. I just needed to hook up the power antenna lead in the trucks radio harness to turn antenna amplifier on. That should solve the problem. I am going back to Best Buy and gget the Fosgate this weekend.

Thanks for all of the help guys, this is going to be the primary vehicle for towing my MGB (and the family) to shows and autocrosses when I am finished restoring it. I need it confortable with lots of storage room for that.

Thanks again, see you on here...
    Patton

Patton
    I have the Class III no drilling required on the 00 Trooper. I've towed 5500lbs w/o weight distributing hitch w/o a problem. Hope that helps.

-mike
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    I paid $160 out the door (including tax), for my Draw-Tight class 3 hitch installed. This hitch is made to fit the Trooper, no drilling is required. It looks, and works great. It came with a ball mount, ball, pin, & wiring harness. I cant see paying the amounts that some people are paying purchasing over the internet, then having to install it themselves. Call around, you might actually save money, and also not have to do the work yourself. I can give you the name of the outfit that I used if you're interested.

David
    I just like the hidden hitch cause it is hidden and tucked up under the bumper which is better for offroading and looks. The ones that are visible are like the Expedition ones where you see a big metal bar across the whole back.

No where around here can you get any hitch installed for less than $225+

-mike
  • keepontroopinkeepontroopin Member Posts: 297
    I think your sales guy goofed. I couldn't find a drwtite anywhere for that price and I am talking just the hitch....no ball, pin, adapter or installation. I think you got a great deal if that is what you really paid.
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    Yea, it actually was $160.49 Here is the link to their site

http://www.discounthitches.com/index.html

The sight is pretty basic, but you could see if they have a location near you. I purchased mine on 11/20/00, so the price could have gone up a bit by now.

• carrierecarriere Member Posts: 18
    My current running boards, though they give my troop a good appearance, are crap. They serve no functional purpose at all, that and since they are not connected to the frame are beginning to rattle. When I purchased my Troop back in '99 through Cars Direct.com, I ordered the vehicle with running boards. Well the dealer that had my vehicle was a couple of states away, so we met halfway and did the paper-work on the vehicle. At that time (delivery) I knew that the running boards were crap and were put on by some type of after market shop. At delivery I couldn't really cancel the deal simply because the running boards were not up to speck so I decided to live with it. Well I can't live with it any more and I need some replacement boards. I called a couple of dealers in my area and was quoted $411 to purchase the true Isuzu boards ....good golly miss molley...I don't think so. Anyway I am up for suggestions on functional running boards that attached to the frame. I am not an E-Bay guru but is it possible to pick up the Isuzu running boards there for half of what the dealers quoted? I am trying to avoid the tube bars, but I may end up in that direction if I am unable to find some suitable running boards. This is probably too much to ask, but are there any boards made that tie into the fender flares similar to the 4-Runner board design? The silver Trooper from Iceland (picks used to be on the Isuzu owners club picks board)seemed to have the boards tieing in to the flares...very nice.
    See my post in the maintenance and repari area.

-mike
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    One more thing: the black 'tubular' side steps do mount to the frame. Or at least I think the big metal bars under the truck, to which I attached the bolts for the side steps, are part of the frame.

It's a very solid installation.
    Paisan, I am somewhat familiar with the rocker bars that you have, as you have posted about this brand before. I have seen what they look like from your friend that has the Isuzu accessories business. As a matter of fact, I purchased my springs and shocks through his web sight. In any regard, the type that you have may be a bit of an overkill for my purposes (no rocks in my part of the country only mud, clay, and sand). I admit that my Troop currently carries some dents that occurred when I rolled over branches in the road and they shot up and punched my door panels, if I had some boards that extended pass the flush mark of the troop's body (unlike the junk boards that are on there now), I probably could have avoided a couple of the dents that my vehicle now carries. I often carry stuff on top of my Troop (gas cans, pirogues, chain saws, ladders, and climbing stands) so I need a board that I can stand on, ones that will better allow me to strap these items down to my roof basket. On Bluedevils advice, I e-mailed St.Charles Isuzu. I have not received a quote from them yet but if they are around $300 like Bluedevil mentioned, I'll probably go that route. The dealer that is currently replacing my mud flaps wants $411 for the boards (I mentioned this in an earlier post) and an additional $100 to install...over $500 for running boards ...no way no how.

Blue Devil, I am interested in the St. Charles Isuzu coupon, if you do not plan to use it, I am fairly certain (well it depends on their quote) that I can put it to use. I am not familiar with Edmund's posting protocol, can I leave my address on a post?

Paisan, I see that you are having an installation party, if I could make it up there, I'd get you to install the automatic shock absorber adjuster kit that came with my Rancho 9000 shocks. I still have it sitting in the box. Trying to rig up that stuff does not seem like much of a party.
    Yeah I had bad luck with air-shocks on my XT6 and so I didn't bother to get the in-cab controller for mine. I rather get dirty a little than have an airline break and send the shock to level 1 which is super mushy!

I really should get my bars installed, just been too lazy to get my welding buddy to do it for me.

-mike
    Send me an email-- you can look up the address by clicking my user name to display my User Profile.

FYI, the coupon I have is a generic Isuzu coupon, not St. Charles specific. It can be used at any authorized U.S. Isuzu dealer. The discount is:
    spend $25-49.99, get $5 off
    spend $50-74.99, get $10 off
    spend $75-99.99, get $15 off
    spend $100+, get $20 off

I'd be happy to send it to you, as I don't foresee needing any big-ticket Isuzu brand aftermarket parts this year.
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I am thinking about adding OME springs, but am concerned about losing suspension travel. The trooper is supposed to have 9" of travel? right? with the stock setup is that 4.5" up and 4.5" down? I recognize the amount of travel will be the same, but I will lose some in the downward direction with the new springs? Should I be concerned about this? Will I lose too much function if I add them? So afterward with a 1.5" lift, I will have 6" up and 3" down?

I can add front torsion bars later, but just want to make sure I take everything into consideration before I make this mod.
    Check out one of the pics of my Trooper at Mikes website isuzu-suvs.com, in the Owners Gallery under "BigSwede's Trooper". I think it is the fourth pic, where you can see outstanding rear articulation with the OME coils.

I wouldn't worry about it, it never seemed like a handicap to me, and the additional ride height is welcome off-road.
    Thanks. I am just very thorough, so I am trying to satisfy all of my questions before I purchase and make this mod. I am also evaluating tire sizes, and brands. I am leaning towards going with the 684's but either 265/70 or 275/70. Unless I can be convinced otherwise.
    I sent you an e-mail a couple of days ago--just checking to see if you received it.
    Does ARB make an air locker for the front dif. of a '99 Trooper? I would like the benefit of being able to lock both front tires so that they are provided with torque simultaneously while in 4 low.

Bluedevil, St.Charles Isuzu quoted me $349 for the running boards, I can't remember if I mentioned this in the e-mail that I sent to you.
    I thought I heard rumors that ARB was developing a front diff locker for the Trooper. I don't know though if they are developing it for the pre 98 Troopers, or post 98 Troopers, or if they will work with either, or if it's already made. From ARB’s .au site

Isuzu Trooper, 1988 and on Front IFS 28.4" shaft diameter w/ 17 splines a shaft for all ratios you would want RD94. I suppose the only real way to know is to give them a call, or find someone that has installed an ARB locker up front.

98 and newer Troopers, with TOD at least, have the ‘corporate’ differentials. This required ARB to make a newer locker for the rear (RD85 vs. RD44). Whether this means the front corp. diff won’t work with the RD94, I have no idea. Heck, I’m not even sure that the RD94 will work on the front diffs of 92 to 98 Troopers. Has anyone figured out ARBs charts, and why the US charts are different from the international and Australia charts?
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    Folks over on the outdoorwire have made a special group production order and buy for them. I think they have started to trickle in and be installed, problems and all. If you want one I think ARB made some extra units or you might be able to "take over" someone else's deposit.

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php? ubb=get_topic;f=68;t=006960.

I am sorry I couldn't get the above link to work. I kept getting a "cannot post a word longer than 115 characters message". The only way I could get around this was to add a space in the line, in this case betweeen "php?" and "ubb".

http://www.outdoorwire.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=68;t=007063.

I beleive the front diffy is the 10-bolt Isuzu corporate. ARB has shipped them now IIRC. Also to post long URLs just check the spelling before posting it and it lets you exceed it.

-mike
    I read the outdoor wire post and it seems that the use of an ARB front locker is in an experimental phase. I certainly do not want my trooper to be one of the guinea pigs that test this thing out. I was hoping that I could purchase the locker and bring it into a mechanic and bam....torque to both front tires with the press of a button. From the post on the outdoor wire however, the process seems much more complicated. If any of you ever successfully install an ARB front locker, let me know how and how much (how much the mechanic charged to perform the installation, as this is something that I certainly will not attempt myself).
    Generally lockers aren't an easy install. IIRC you always need to have your gears removed and re-setup. It's a process that costs about $700. No matter what you get for an Isuzu it's usually not a "bolt-in" alternative due to the low volume of Isuzu stuff.

What other mods do you have? A locker is one of the last mods I'd do. If you check out my pics I did a lot of stuff with just a rear LSD and some good tires in Uwharrie.

-mike
    I took a look at those pictures. Obviously you didn't lose much in upward travel, yikes! What size tires do you have on your rig. They look well proportioned.
    The locker was one of the first mods that I wanted to do based on what I use the vehicle for. From September through January I am traversing logging roads on the weekends. When it rains, and it rains quite often in the South during the Winter, these logging roads turn to mud. I have gotten stuck quite a few times over the past 3 years. I have also pulled out my share of 4whl drive vehicles (suburbans, 4-Runners, Z-71's,etc). Pull is probably inappropriate, yank is probably better terminology. Anyway I got rid of the BF-Goodrich A/T's and put on some Buckshot Mudders. This helped quite a bit and awarded me with much more control when traveling down these muddy roads, translation ...with the mud-grips I quit sliding into bushes and, hence, quit scratching the side of my veh. I also, have the springs and shocks giving me an extra 1 1/2" of clearance. Of course, the rear axle was not elevated so I still bottom out occasionally. During the summer I'll occasionally take the Troop to the gulf to catch specks and reds in the surf, so I'm spending a little time in the sand. Eventually I'd like to get a real bumper, as I know its just a matter of time before I run into a deer in the middle of the road. My Troop is black with the moon mist (or light color) out lining the lower portion of the vehicle. I am thinking that a black ARB bumper would clash with this. What do you think?
    Yep I was going to suggest tires as the first mod, you might try the front LSD also, you can actually get those gears from your dealer as the front 10-bolt = 10-bolt rear on the isuzu impulse.

As for bumpers, you might like the ECB Silver Hammertone, should match the moonmist bottom section nicely http://www.ecb-usa.com

-mike

Neal,

I never received an email from you re: Isuzu parts coupon. Your profile does not show your email address, so I can't send you an email. Why don't you try mine again-- white_shoes_white@yahoo.com.

Jason
    There are pictures of my truck with the ARB bumper on Paisans site...mica blue with metallic gold trim. I like the bumper and think it enhances the look of the truck. It is also great for mounting things. I have lights and in the summer I attach a fishing rack to the front. I compared adding regular brush guards, much more function, and in my opinion way cooler for close to the same price. With a black truck it would probably look even cooler.
    If I get an ECB bumper I'm gonna get it silver which matches my truck, if I go with an ARB I'm gonna get it painted to match. :)

-mike
    Paisan you may be on to something with your suggestion. It is definitely something that I will entertain. Do you know of anyone who has actually put in a limited slip dif up-front using the dif from an Impulse?

I checked out the picks and the appear that they can take a fairly good hit and still protect the front end integrity of the vehicle. Unlike some of the brush guards on the market. Most brush guards that I have seen look like they would cave in on your hood if you crashed into something.

Enjoyed the pickes
    Yes Tad who is the head of Planet Isuzoo has an impulse rear end gearset in his front end of his 89 Trooper RS. I haven't had a chance to drive it on the street with the front hubs lock in 2wd so I'm not sure how well it would work with TOD. That is the only problem I can find with doing a front LSD is that it could interfere with the TOD/auto-hubs since it would be spinning all the time, and turns could cause a problem. Other than that it should be great and has worked excellent on the trail. (Tad's is the Black Trooper RS in the pics from Uwharrie)

-mike
  • pinoy99pinoy99 Member Posts: 79
    Rear: 98+ uses a modified Isuzu Corp 12 bolt differential thus ARB had to manufacture a new part#RD85 vs RD44 for 1988-1997. Ring gear for 98+ is about 9.6"(just a bit less than a DANA 60) while pre98 is about 8.75 in diameter(a bit bigger than DANA 44).

Front: the NEW AND ONLY locker should fit most Isuzu 10 bolts from 88 to current year without major trouble;the exception would be year 98 or early 99 found on US made trucks.

Gears does not have to be re-setup when installing the ARB locker unless you are changing R&P to go to a lower ratio. The ARB carrier replaces the open or LSD carrier.

EDIT: for more front LSD info..email Bruce Anderson..checkout his site.
    http://cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/96trooper.htm
    What Pinoy99 said. He's the Locker/Gear expert around here! :)

-mike
    Regarding that pic, what you can't see is that the left wheel is down as far as the right rear is up...no problem with articulation on the OME coils!

The tires are 265/75R16 Pirelli Scorpions.
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    I found these Trooper Mods on the Web:

http://cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/96trooper.htm

I think I will try the ADD DRIVER-SIDE ASSIST HANDLES, and the FRONT RECEIVER HITCH.

How about a V8 Cadillac Powered Trooper:

http://cableone.net/bcanderson/trooper/cadillac/cadillac.htm

That's a funny coincidence - the previous post is talking about Bruce Anderson and the mods he has made to his Trooper...and in the previous post to that, I am talking about a pic of my Trooper at Moab last year.

Well, in that very picture, the guy running for his life in front of my Trooper is...

...Bruce Anderson!

Small world.
  • cwmosercwmoser Member Posts: 227
    Yes it is a small world - Trooper world that is. I found the website on the Isuzu webring and it is indeed the same site you mentioned. The Mods described are great!
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    Anyone know how much it costs to get a passenger air bag switch installed for a Rodeo?
    Good luck finding a place to take on the liability of installing such an item. I think they are relatively cheap, about $100-$200 but I've never found a place that would install one. I'd just pull the fuse/relay for the airbags when I needed to turn it off.

-mike
  • breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    The NHTSA site has a list of installers - http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/airbags/switch_install/index.cfm
  • amigo_johnamigo_john Member Posts: 107
    Thanks for the tip on the website, there are only 3 installers listed in Alabama, but fortunately one of them is only a few miles from me ;)
This discussion has been closed.