Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

1343536373840»

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I drained-filled my AT and never replaced the gasket, no leaks at all. Maybe the mud-pack keeps it sealed up :)

-mike
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I got a new rear hook from St. Charles about $45, 2 M10x50 bolts lock washers, etc from Sears for $5.00 and put it on.

It was a fun truck project, however very short lived. I am happy with the outcome.
  • raydahsraydahs Member Posts: 449
    FYI - about 5 or so months ago Lund had cancelled production on the smoked hood protector (Troopers) which left the OME as the only option available. Last night I was bored, checking out J.C. Whitney's site and saw that they're back. I called today and the sales rep put me on hold while he called Lund, and they're in stock, ready to ship for $64.99 including shipping. For those who were looking for one.
    They have replaced my hardware 2x for free, cause the rubber boots wore out that go in the hood to secure it.

-mike
    I'm trying to get in sync with the 21st Century by getting rid of all my CD's and going to MP3's. With all the available sources to buy online these days, it seems like the way to go. However, I plan to buy something like an (iPod) or the new (Dell DJ) that has a car adapter, which would be a cassette kit.

So my questions are, what happens in the future if I buy a car without a cassette player in it, how would I convert it without changing the complete unit? Do you think they'll have something like a jack port to plug into? Also how are ya'll backing up your tunes? USB key type thing, CD or DVD? Sorry for the ignorance about this topic.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Gee, that sounds like a tremendous advance over CDs...makes no sense to me. And didja hear Napster is back? Only 99 cents a tune, why that's a savings of absolutely, um, nothing, compared to CDs.

I guess for car audio MP3 is fine (MP4 kicks its [non-permissible content removed] though ;-) ) but for home audio it is seriously lacking compared to CD, let alone SACD or DVD-A.
    I put in an MP3 player for $175 and it also has a front mounted jack for input from an audio source :)

-mike
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    Paison, does the MP3 player with the front mounted audio input jack also have a radio?
    I would like to have an in-dash player that replaces the radio head unit and can play all types of CDs or DVDs or MP3 etc. In addition to an audio input, I want a video output for the DVD player to run the external display for the back seat area. I also like to have a very sensitive AM/FM radio. Weather radio would even be nice with alarm ability.
    Anybody heard of such a thing?
    Radio sound quality: I have a Alpine radio/CD player in my Trooper. I and my kids were very happy with the sound quality coming from the aftermarket speakers. I took the kids to see the Nut Cracker Ballet with a live full orchestra in the pit in front of the stage. The music was awesome. On the way home we played some kids classics CD that has parts of the Nut Cracker Ballet music on it. The kids noticed right away that the car stereo that used to sound really good, was trash compared to the live music. I was amazed how bad the car stereo sounded since I thought it was excellent before the immediate comparison to live music.
    Paisan and I both put in the JVC KD-SX990. Radio, CD and MP3 with a jack in the front for adding an external MP3 player, though with 10 disk capacity on one CD it hardly seems like I would ever need to add an external.

The radio is fine, but I am not sure if it is as good as the stock for reception. I haven't had any problems, but the hard to get stations seem slightly harder to get. I primarly listen to disks with MP3s on them now so I haven't really noticed.

I highly recommend it. It doesn't skip, spins up songs quickly (a feature that I read some players take 10-15 seconds to change songs) and plays CDR and CDRW. It is now listed at epinions for $129.99. I also spent an additional $20 to get a converter cable from crutchfield.
    Yup that head unit is AWSOME! I have it in both my cars and will add it to my 3rd car when I get it. The jack is nice for plugging in my laptop when passengers are watching DVDs on it!

-mike
    Hood protector yesterday, installed today. It's better than the OEM version for a couple of reasons. A)sticks out further from the hood than OEM, I broke mine by stuffing a towel down in there while drying one cold morning. B.)shouldn't have any of that annoying tapping against the fender stuff. Kudos to Lund for starting up production again and having it in stock. Also, J.C.Whitney for keeping Isuzu stuff alive and well on the web site and keeping thier word on the shipment date.
    I have been on the fence about adding new OME springs to my truck. I don't necessarily want to raise the center of gravity and I like the look with the 265/70s on the stock suspension. However with Isuzu's changes over the last few years, I wonder how long these products will be around? I really love my OME shocks and will probably want to replace them in a few years too. Just concerned that readily available aftermarket parts may also dry up in the near future.
    Here is what I got back from ARB.

We normally support a vehicle with product for several years after it has been discontinued. There are no plans at this time to stop prooduction of the Trooper products.

Jim Jackson
    President, ARB-USA
    20 So. Spokane St.
    Seattle, WA 98134
    Jim Jackson has zero to do with production of products by ARB in australia. That is where all the products come out of. I believe they'll be available for a few years. But wouldn't count on it too far down the road.

-mike
    They do still have accessories for older Trooper's pre-92s through current, so hopefully there will at least be a few years left.
  • sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    Aren't they still making Jackaroos for Australia? That would maintain the aftermarket demand for ARB.
  • foreman1063foreman1063 Member Posts: 17
    I recently bought a hidden hitch receiver (part # 87544) for a good deal and thought I would pass along the website. The hitch was $117 and the hoppy connector was $25. Both were shipped free.The service was good and I received the package in 4 days via UPS. I agree with some earlier posts that the paint job is not fabulous but I can fix that with a can of Rustoleum. I'll post later to dicuss the installation. http://www.hitchmart.com/
  • foreman1063foreman1063 Member Posts: 17
    Just finished installing my hidden hitch reciever and wiring adapter. Very slick, installation and looks. Total time was 30 min with only a ratchet, 18mm,17mm and 3/4" sockets plus a couple of zip strips for the wiring. This hitch is appropriately named, standing behind the vehicle all you see is the receiver tube and the safety chain connecting rings, not the cross bar. A nice feature with the hoppy wiring adapter is the built on rubber grommet. It plugs neatly in the hole on the under side of the body where the factory harness plug is hiding. This is a fairly straight forward DIY project that most trooper owners could do in one evening, in the driveway.
    Nice, love my hidden hitch too. Tow about 10-15K miles a year a 5000lb trailer. :)

-mike
    to add the tire size calculator to your site? http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    If it's already there, forgive me I couldn't find it...Thanks.
    It might be there but I'm not sure if I have a link to it or not.

-mike
  • bangkerbangker Member Posts: 5
    Howdy, forgive me if this is a stupid newbie question, but I have a 95 Trooper LS with the "premium" stereo w/cd changer. I've seen the post about the later model with the 80W head unit, and I've seen the ones about putting 5.25"s in the rear, and I was wondering if the stereo I have is comparable and if I can also fit 5.25"s in place of the 4" nasties in the rear.
    Thanks!
  • boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I put the rear 5.25" speakers into my 1995. There are many sizes even within the 5.25" size. The best thing to do is take your Trooper to a stereo store and remove one of the original rear speakers then get the store to let you test fit their 5.25" speakers in the openning.
    The rear speaker openning is big enough for 5.25" speakers that taper off quickly, that means they cannot stay 5.25" very long. There is plenty of depth in the center but the edges must taper in quickly.
    You will need to drill new screw holes in the metal around the speaker openning to screw down your new 5.25" speakers.
    Your 1995 original speakers are paper. If your Trooper has been exposed to hot humid weather a lot the paper is getting tired. I replaced my speakers when they began to sound worse due to the paper getting old and non flexible. I bought a set of four and replaced the front ones as well because it was a great deal buy one pair and get half off on the second pair.
    Most car stereos can adapt to the impedance of most car speakers, so compatibility should not be an issue. You can read the impedance label on the existing speakers.
  • autoenglishautoenglish Member Posts: 1
    As you probably know, they did not make cruise control for the 99 Hard Top V6 Amigo, but it was available on the 99 Rodeo. Has anyone tried installing the cruise for a 99 Rodeo in a 99 Amigo?

Failing that, does anyone know how to get hold of wiring diagrams for both the 99 Amigo and Rodeo to compare to see if this idea would work.
  • eric2003eric2003 Member Posts: 6
    Looking for a tow hitch for my 2000 Trooper LS. I only have basic tools, so I am looking for those that can be installed without drilling holes. I won't use it that often, so I am not looking to spend too much either. I know all of you are very resourceful. Any suggestions?

eric
    Has a frame mount. Took me about 1.5hrs to install with a socket set. :) I think it cost like $115 give or take. It's a Hidden Hitch Brand.

-mike
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    Second that one on the Hidden Hitch. Helps to have someone to help hold it up to get the bolts started. IIRC I had to use a washer or two on one or more to get it shimmed correctly. Also, if you need the wiring harness, there is a rubber plug down underneath, driver's side, maybe a couple of feet in front of the rear bumper. You can get a $20-30 wiring attachment that connects to wiring behind that plug with a plug...don't need to try an splice into any wires. Don't remember the part number... Found it. Hiddenhitch dot com wiring is Part # 16339
    Electrical Wiring Kits , the Class III hitch is Part # 87544
    Class III Trailer Hitches - Receiver Plus Program 3500LBS/5000LBS with weight distribution setup. They also have a Class II. Looks real nice...only see the receiver and loops to attach the safety chains...the rest of it is Hidden behind the bumper.

Bill
    My hidden hitch is 10k I think with a weight distributing, same dealio though, you only see the reciever and loops for the safety chains.

-mike
  • bop22bop22 Member Posts: 1
    I was thinking about upgrading my disc player, but ran into a problem.(how do i remove the factory unit.)

mike
  • harlanaharlana Member Posts: 1
    I did put the put the Silverstar in my 95 Ltd Trooper and they're great. I own a Lexus with the HID and that system floods the entire front and is great. The SS will be much stonger/brighter but still a spotlight type headlight. You have turning lamps which are great on your trooper which helps.
  • jrod1jrod1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

Re: 1999 Trooper

Would you happen to know how to remove the front turn signal unit. I replaced the headline bulb and wanted to also replace this. I only found one screw on the top of the unit. I took it out, but there seems to be something holding it still.

Thanks Joe
    I found this link via EBAY, might be a good way to get a replacement taillight lens or something.
    http://allhyundaiisuzuparts.com/#

Also, check out some of the crashed vehicles...wow!
    http://allhyundaiisuzuparts.com/new_arrivals/index.html
    I removed mine a while ago...I broke part of the plastic and had to crazy glue it back together. I cannot remember if there is more than one screw? There is a 1-2" piece of plastic with a ball on the end of it that pops in and out of a socket...that is what holds it in place when the screw is removed. On one of mine I broke that and had to re-glue it. But it will offer resistance even with the screw out. So once you think it is ready to be removed, you will have to wiggle/pry the light off to get the ball out of that socket.

This is if my memory is correct, I think it is fairly accurate.
  • 89trooper89trooper Member Posts: 8
    :sick: Maybe someone here could help with with how to find a memory calibrator for my ECM(89' Trooper)I've called everywhere even local and not so local dealerships aarrgghh help please thanx Lisa
  • bubbacitabubbacita Member Posts: 5
    Hello one and all with this problem. I too had the same problem when installing a Kenwood system, and after several trips to purchase and return adapters to the wonderful staff at Circuit City, I dwelled one day for a couple of hours on this site to find the solution. Its this simple....
    1) connect the large antenna wire to your stereo, 2)Take the Blue antenna wire from your radio and splice it into the brown w/ red stripe wire going to your car wiring harness. Thats it and it works. The blue wire is giving power to the built in signal amplifier.
  • ldev956000ldev956000 Member Posts: 1
    Hello all-

New to the forum, recently sold my 2007 Toyota FJ in favor of a paid off 99' trooper, 3.5L automatic.

Truck runs great at 115k miles and I will be bringing it to my mechanic for all around maintenance and checks.

Looking at some upgrades and have heard about performance chips. Read some posts that there were no performance chips for anything after the 94' trooper. Doing a quick google search "Street Tech" performance module popped up on Ebay for $25... Are these things junk? Can anyone suggest a performance chip worth buying?

Thanks!
  • shonie65shonie65 Member Posts: 2
    my original stereo is broken so i have jvc cd player to replace it i bought leads thet go from the stereo but the white plastic wont fit in to the one on the trooper any ideas guys!!!!!
    thanks
    j mcarthur
  • muttley1muttley1 Member Posts: 15
    Bold move. I too was considering the FJ, but I too went with a Trooper (2002) since its only a part time vehicle. Also read about the many compromises with the FJ - was wondering what your experience was.
    While its been only a couple of weeks, I am happy with the Trooper.
    Can't help with the chip question but sure others can.

I was wondering if anyone out there swapped out the manual cloth (S) seats for the power leather seats, or could provide some insight into how big a job that would be.
  • phototonephototone Member Posts: 3
    My old 84 Trooper II, 1.9 L engine has a solid mounted cooling fan. I would like to change to a "clutch" type fan, to gain a teensy bit of power from the engine. I ordered the clutch from my local parts vendor (Autozone), but I need guidance on where to find correct fan blades to attach to the clutch.
  • wvtrooper92wvtrooper92 Member Posts: 1
    Hi to all and anyone that has any helpful advice to this... idea.

Let me start of with what I'm working with: 1992 Trooper vin: W 3.2L DOHC (3165cc) w/145700 odo, matted to a MUA5F (5spd) p.t.4x4 tranny. Mechs say it runs better than it should based on mileage and age. So I believe its safe to say it runs strong. I keep up on everything, all filters, belts, fluids, plugs, wires, ect; anything that acts up is fixed or replaced asap. I baby the hell outa it ever since the tranny was replace in early 07 and has recieved less than 3,000 since. Not an everyday driver; probably a bit to little.. It has K&N filters,Bosch Plat. Iridium plugs, Sensitrac shocks, new exaust, Flowmaster muff. and has Lucas Oil Additive which does help a bit with the infamous chattering of the valves. I estimate the current HP from stock 190 to optimistic 210.

Now what I'm looking for help on. I want to build a custom turbo/ intercooler setup on my stock engine. I know the risks, heat, pressure, ect. Regardless I still want to run one, at low boost, for a bit more get up and go for as long as the engine will hold. It is much heavier than other stock Troopers due to around 200+lbs. of stereo equipment in the back. I need any information anyone knows about how much compression horsepower the internal parts (valves, pistons, ect) and estimated torque the tranny can handle, as well as detailed information on the turbo and intercooler setup; i.e. oil feed lines, electric mods, computer calibration, fuel flow, possible oil cooler if even made, ect.

The turbo system would be run from back to front of car, (to reduce heat & psi, and make on hell of a sound) and be oil cooledand include elec. regulator, and blow off valve. As any Trooper owner know performance parts are few, but if anyone knows of any parts such as; ECM chip mods, fuel injectors, bigger brake calipers or any parts to raise HP or brake faster. Any information would be greatly appreciated. And by the way does that "Tornado" a metal part that spins the air in your induction tube really do any good or is it just $20 buck gimmick? I've always wanted to know. I hope this info is detailed enough for any help, all is welcome

thanks - B
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Those spiral things like the Tornado definitely fall into the Gas Saving Gizmos & Gadgets category.

You really should go back a step and dyno it so you have a baseline to build on. It sounds like everything you've done so far is all seat of the pants guesstimates and your real HP gain may be zero.
  • muttley1muttley1 Member Posts: 15
    I recently had a JVC HD Radio installed on my 2002 Trooper (one of two actually).
    The installer at Circuit City could not connect the antenna to the new radio however. I will now see if they can follow the advice on this board, before they close the stores, but also recall that the plugs were not of the right size to plug into the radio. Is that right, such that an adaptor is needed, or will the "large antenna wire" plug into standard radio antenna inputs?
    Appreciate any insight.
  • matausmataus Member Posts: 43
    I hope someone can help. I am looking to replace my 2.8 liter engine with another that has more power. The high end on the 2.8 liter really sucks. On the other hand, the low end is awesome! Especially in 4 wheel! I'll take my Trooper up against any Jeep! At any time!

I've heard from a few people that there is a Chevy engine that will line up with my tranny. Something in the area of a Chevy 3.1 liter v6. I don't know the specific engine or the year, but if there is something out there that would have more power. it would be great! My 90 Trooper is in excellent condition! I just need a more powerful engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Maddy
This discussion has been closed.