Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I have not seen the carbon fiber dash....so I can't comment from first hand experience.

Rich
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    I got my Coastal Blue ES today and will pick it up tomorrow. I saw the carbon fiber dash in another vehicle and it wasn't worth searching for.

Coastal Blue ES, 4 seasons, 6 CD Changer, rear step plate and roof rack. About as close as I'm going to come to exactly what I wanted without custom ordering.
    I've been following the thread on 0% financing and don't really understand the question. The way it reads, you pay nothing in financing, but still have to pay the purchase price of the car. For every $1000 you borrow you have to pay back $16.66 per month in principal to have it all paid back in 60 months. None of this is interest or finance charge.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    There are three kinds of people.

Those who understand numbers, and those who don't 8^)

TB
    j/k
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Your humor's dryer than mine, Tboner!

Rich... or anyone else ;-) : Do you know if '03 ES models will have carbon-fiber-ish or Plood dash treatment? Man, I feel like a rookie these days!
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Subby explained it perfectly in #3902, from the back door. ZERO MEANS ZERO! NO charges! I know it's Big Fat zero, since I purchased my Protege the same way.

@, Here's my math class.

1)Borrow 20,000K/60Months = $333 monthly
    2)Borrow 20,000k X 16.66 = $333 monthly

They work out to the same payment, example #2 just uses the multiplier (16.66) to arrive at the same payment as #1. Don't think of 16.66 in dollars, it is not, just a number for 60 months.

Pjd58
  • sd1228sd1228 Member Posts: 46
    Our MPV averaged 22.1 MPG in 70% city, 30% Interstate driving.
    It now has approx 600 miles. I think this is
    pretty decent considering half the time we
    were 5 people in the van and also
    AC was on due to Texas summer all the time.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Thanks to everyone for your help! I hadn't done the math yet, as I'm in the middle of deadline hell and preparing for a big industry convention, but pjd88's explanation put my artistic mind on the right track at last. I just wasn't looking at the numbers in the right way. I kept thinking that 16.66 was a charge in addition to the monthly payments.

Thanks to everyone for their help and patience. I'm ready to get serious with a Mazda fleet manager now! Well, after my convention and such...
    Well not really my ultimate fantasy, but my minivan fantasy.

How 'bout a Mazdaspeed MPV with a much lower suspension, and stiffer too, AWD, some massaging of the intake bits and/or some compression increase, in a stick shift.

Since I'd use this for a work vehicle, you could leave out the middle row of seats, and I'd use the magic 3rd row seat if it were my turn to drive for lunch.

Only needs one side door as well 8^)

Mazda, are you listening, how 'bout some real zoom zoom in the MPV.

TB
    Just back from a hot sweaty AutoX event, where I think I took 3rd in STS
    I was just having trouble figuring out where all the confusion was coming from.
    You hit the nail on the head Tboner. Did you race the van yet? :)
    Doesn't let Vans or SUV's on course, except the bring in the cones ;)

TB
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    I was reading back in the board and read the whole tire pressure stuff from earlier this month. Now I am confused.

I have the dunlops, a 2000 MPV.

I am running them about 35 psi but frankly the front left tire looks low, low enough that I pulled into a gas station the other day to add air and it read 35 without adding any.

So can I trust those pressure gauges that pop out the back? This one it plastic but it seems cheap, it was all I could find easily ( 2 little kids with me usually).

When I checked the tire, the car had been driven 5 miles to town, sat for 40 mins and then driven about a mile, so were the tires cold or not?

What differences besides a bumpier ride does adding more air make.

Jane
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Hi Jane--I think for the tires to be truly 'cold' the vehicle should not have been driven yet, and the tires should not have been in the sun (stick those tires where the sun don't shine!! 8<) ). Yours were probably warmed up a bit, though I don't know if it was enough to register on your gauge.

In my experience, modern radial tires can often look low, but still be fine. Which is why it is good to check them with a gauge periodically rather than rely on eyeballing them.

As long as the slide on your gauge does not appear to be sticking or catching at all, I think it would be consistent from tire to tire. Whether it is accurate or not I guess you could determine by comparing it to a decent gauge believed to be accurate. I use one of those pencil gauges, too. While it may not be the fanciest, I think it is consistent (i.e. all four tires will be at the same pressure) and acceptable.

Question--When you checked the left front and it read 35psi, did you have a chance to check the other tires as well? What did they read?

Dan
    Mazda has not sent me any info on the 03 MPV yet...when the info shows up I'll post any changes.

Rich
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Glad you brought it up Badgermomma! I've been researching as much as possible about tires lately. With buying my new 16" rims and Dunlops for the MPV, then taking the X-Ones off the MPV to put on the Accord, I've been paying special attention to pressure and load ratings.

Tire gauges: I second Dan's thoughts above. I use one of the "cheapies" too and it does the job fine. My FIL has a nice digital gauge - I may look into getting one as well.

Cold Pressure: You want to go by the recommended pressure listed on the tire placard of 35psi COLD. Tirerack.com has this to say about cold pressure readings - "Cold conditions are defined as early in the morning before the day's ambient temperature, sun's radiant heat or the heat generated while driving have caused the tire pressure to temporarily increase." So, check your tires COLD and make sure they're 35psi. The best time is first thing in the morning after the vehicle has sat overnight, before you drive it anywhere.

Max Pressure: Again, Tirerack defines it this way - "A tire's maximum inflation pressure is the highest "cold" inflation pressure that the tire is designed to contain. However the tire's maximum inflation pressure should only be used when called for on the vehicle's tire placard or in the vehicle's owners manual. It is also important to remember that the vehicle's recommended tire inflation pressure is always to be measured and set when the tire is "cold". It is also normal to experience "hot" tire pressures that are up to 5 to 6 psi above the tire's recommended "cold" pressure during the day if the vehicle is parked in the sun or has been extensively driven. Therefore, if the vehicle's recommended "cold" inflation pressures correspond with the tire's maximum inflation pressure, it will often appear that too much tire pressure is present. However, this extra "hot" tire pressure is temporary and should NOT be bled off to return the tire pressure to within the maximum inflation pressure value branded on the tire. If the "cold" tire pressure was correctly set initially, the temporary "hot" tire pressure will have returned to the tire's maximum inflation pressure when next measured in "cold" conditions."

My new Dunlops (SP4000 a/s) have a max inflation of 51psi. That's good because Mazda says to use 35psi - a 16psi difference. So, if I set to 35psi cold, then drive extensively, my max inflation hot should be aroung 40-41psi. I would not inflate the Dunlops above 45psi cold because the resulting hot inflation, which would probably be around 51psi, may exceed the max inflation set by Dunlop.

Load Rating: The max load rating for the Dunlop tire is within Mazda spec for the MPV, iirc it's 94. The new tires that came on my rims were 95, even better. However, the X-Ones that I had on the MPV were 92, which was under the Mazda spec. According to Tirerack: "A tire's maximum load is the most weight the tire is designed to carry. Since a tire's load carrying capacity is related to the tire's size and how much inflation pressure is actually used, maximum loads are rated with the tire inflated to an industry assigned inflation pressure. Additionally, load ranges are used to separate tires that share the same physical size, but differ in strength due to their internal construction. "Higher" load ranges are used to identify tires that have a stronger internal construction, and therefore can hold more air pressure and carry more weight."

Hope it helps .....
    As mentioned in several previous posts, MPVs are often delivered with higher than the recommended pressure of 35 Front, 35 Rear. When I took delivery yesterday (11:30 AM, car sitting in the parking spot overnight) it was set to 40/45 - or maybe it was 45/40.

Either way it's probably would not good to drive in the 100 degree weather expected over the next couple days with this overinflation.
    well....no sooner do I say I've never seen one...haha

We got in a Sage Green MPV-ES with the carbon fiber dash and DVD today...

Seems were spilt as to who likes the carbon look and who does not...

Rich
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Tally me on the side of those who don't. Although, I'm not a huge fan of Plood either.
    Accutire is a decent brand that is known for making consistently accurate tire pressure gauges. They're not super-cheap, however. The one I've had since my SCCA days was $20 but works like a champ and I trust its readings.

Rich, I haven't seen the carbon fiber look dash yet, but like the plood better than the standard matte-black treatment... color me tasteless. :)
  • mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    Beachnut:
    You say you are bying some new 16" rims? Does your Mazda have 15" rims now? My MPV has 15" rims with dunlops and I am thinking of getting some 16 inchers cause it looks better.

What does it cost to get 16" rims put on?

Thanks,

Michael
    Michael - It's a done deal ... I bought them on eBay and had them put on last week. Thanks to my good buddy Java for FLAGGING me down :-) I'll email you some particulars in case you're interested.
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    While on the subject of tire pressure, I think it is also a good habit to inspect the tires' condition once a month or so, especially as the tires get closer to the end of their life. I seem to recall a sage saying that 90% of a tires problems will occur in the last 10% of the tires life. Look for bulging and cupping or uneven wear, check for screw or nails that have been picked up. You may be able to detect a problem before it becomes a PROBLEM, or something wrong with the alignment etc. may first become evident by observing tire wear. I usually look at them, and also run my hands over the tread and feel for irregularities. I think my hands can see better than my eyes regarding tires. Anyhow, my $.02 worth. Dan
  • miata94miata94 Member Posts: 17
    On Mazdausa.com, I see pictures of black MPVs with a mesh cover over the lower air intake that doesn't seem to be there in pics of MPVs in colors other than black. I think the mesh cover, along with the GFX package, really completes the front appearance, but I don't see the mesh cover mentioned as part of the GFX pacakge nor as a dealer-installed accessory. How do I go about getting the mesh cover?

Thanks!
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    well I checked this morning, just now actually, as directed above before even letting the van look out the garage door. All the tires read 35 psi so I guess I will just leave them alone.

But geesh that one still looks low to me, I know that "modern" tires look that way to some extent, but.... I guess I am still in SUV mindset to some extent as the tires on our wrangler don't really buldge at all, but they are 30 inch and a much heavier tire. Can't remember how the others looked, perhaps we have been doing it wrong all along.

BTW any idea how many miles, give or take, I can expect on these Dunlops, they are original factory installed.
  • miata94miata94 Member Posts: 17
    On Mazdausa.com, I see pictures of black MPVs with a mesh cover over the lower air intake that doesn't seem to be there in pics of MPVs in colors other than black. I think the mesh cover, along with the GFX package, really completes the front appearance, but I don't see the mesh cover mentioned as part of the GFX pacakge nor as a dealer-installed accessory. How do I go about getting the mesh cover?

Thanks!
    All the 2002 MPVs have it. I think it's just more pronounced in the pic of the black one.
  • mikecomikeco Member Posts: 17
    Hi Folks,
    Thanks for all of your message which encouraged me to go with 2002 MPV. I've been watching this forum for 2 weeks and finally got my Sand MPV LX yesterday. The price I got was $300 over invoice at the local dealer. If I go to another dealer(60 miles away), I could get it for $300 below invoice. I like my MPV pretty much. It had only ONE mile on odometer before I check it.
    The MPV LX is an incredible value. With the same amount of money I couldn't even get a good sedan with alloy wheel, cruise control, keyless entry, a/c, CD, and V6. I drove an Odyssey before and feel this one is much easier and faster to move.
    Good luck and enjoy your vehicle!
    Mike
  • doctord13doctord13 Member Posts: 22
    After reading the discussions and going out to test drive, my wife and I decided on the ES 2002 - not only a great ride, but the sun roof made it feel like it was built for people, not just a box to move cargo (the oddessey was very dark inside!)

The dealer was ready to move the vehicle as well - I was prepared to use the S-plan, but was unable to find a white ES with moon roof, 4 seasons, and spoiler -the midwest supply was pretty slim when the dealer pulled up the list of available White ES's. To get what we wanted (and did not want the roof rack -- who really gets up there to put stuff anyway), we decided to deal on the demo (also had 6 disc changer and fog lites - 2 option s that I could have done without for the $700).
    Sticker 29,777, invoice 27,443, purchased for 26,222 and we took the 2K rebate for final price of 24,222. Now we can not only love our second Mazda (we also own a 1992 Miata - kept for when we're tired of toting the kids around), but we can love the price we paid!

Has anyone bought an extended warranty recently and had any prices for 7/0/100k plans - we hope to keep this a while.

Good luck in dealing with your local dealer - hop e your dealer is as motivated to sell.
  • etbulletbull Member Posts: 5
    We have been trying to find a 2002 MPV ES that has the 4 seasons package optional equip is the cargo net, cargo mat, and rear step bumper. The local dealer says he can't find a 4 season equipped van anywhere. Reading through the board, I find this hard to believe. Anyone out there have any buying experience in the Florida panhandle, South Alabama/Georgia region?

TIA, Elaine
    etbull...

I can't speak for your area but here in the Northeast we have a tremendous MPV shortage!
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    You can also search for yourself at the http://mazdausa.com page. It lets you build a model with your options and then search dealers in your area by zip code. Nearby dealers are listed too. And you get to see the VIN# and options for that particular model.

We used this to track down an ES with moonroof, which appear to be rare in my area. Our ES has the 4 seasons, which seemed to be on all of them here too. YMMV regionally, :-)

-Brian
  • sd1228sd1228 Member Posts: 46
    The price you paid is really great.
    You must be really good and lucky to have
    such a great price on such a great vehicle.

-
    Fellow 2002 MPV ES owner!
  • chsmithinschsmithins Member Posts: 11
    We were looking at the mazdausa.com website yesterday and are considering a 2002 ES. While trying to track down a specific interior color for the Shimmering Sand exteror we noticed on several models an interior called "beige/black leather".

We went to a local dealer and they had never heard of a two-tone interior. We imagined it was, for example, maybe two color tones on the seats or steering wheel. It could be kind of nice looking.

Has anyone here heard of such an interior color combo or are the only two interior colors gray and beige? Thanks.
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Beige and gray are basically the only two interiors; however, there is black in both. The console--where the heat and radio controls are--in the center is usually black. Rather sharp looking all in all. I suspect they might have been referring to that. Or it might be a reference to the new carbon trim in the same area.

RJ
  • mefoghornmefoghorn Member Posts: 12
    Well, after gaining some good insights from this forum, my wife & I picked up our new LX last night with mats, roof rack, and step bumper plate in Midnight Blue for $19500 plus ttl. I feel lucky to find one equipped just the way I wanted it, no extra gadgets. Had a good dealer experience with no pressure or upsell.

Personally, I was leaning toward a slightly used Grand Caravan for the larger space and bolder, better proportioned look. But since she drives it the most I relented.

Anyone else notice the hot wind coming from under the right front door when standing beside the door while idling? I guess its the discharge of the cooling fan.

The dealers in Dallas get almost no Coastal Blue's, saying that nobody likes them. But I saw one in Hartford last week that looked good.

Why all the fuss about such high air pressure? Aren't you making the ride very harsh at 35+ psi? Also, has anyone tinted the front side windows to match the look of the back side windows? Is this easy for a tint shop to match? . . . Thanks for the insights!
    There is no black interior...the differences is regular dash vs. carbon fiber dash.
  • mevetmevet Member Posts: 1
    The MPV you purchaced was a demonstration vehicle? How many miles were on it? -- Know of one about 60 miles from me, has at least 2K on. Don't know how I feel about it, having that many miles on it already. Thought I know the end of the year Demo's have 5k normally. Also, would they give you the S-price with the Demo discount as well?
    Try this link from MPV club.

http://www.mpvclub.com/forum/index.php?board=4;action=display;threadid=1005

There's also a link from there to the poster's own site.

• big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Has anyone actually been able to get the 0% financing for 60 months on the 2002 MPV? I have called a couple of local dealers and they are telling me that you can only get the 0% financing for 48 months on the 2002 MPV (or you can opt for the $2000 cash back and 60 month financing). The current incentives make purchasing the MPV very attractive right now.

I have been doing a good deal of research on the MPV and I feel it is the best suited minivan for me. I want to get the best deal possible. I am interested in the 2002 LX w/ 4-Seasons, Security Package, Rear AC, Roof Rack, Floor Mats, Cassette, and Rear Bumper Step Plate. Edmunds puts the MSRP at $25,335 and the TMV at $23,784. That is around 2% over invoice. How low dare I go on price?

Now to throw a wrench into the works. My brother-in-law is also looking to get a new minivan. I have told him about the MPV and he seemed interested. Do you think a dealership would be willing to deal more on the price of a couple of vehicles knowing that they would be able to sell two? What is the general opinion here?
    its 0% for 48 months on the MPV

60 months if you buy a Protege or B-series truck.
    http://www.mazdausa.com/zero_percent/default.asp

The heading is negated by the small print below.

Darn that Mazda! Is nothing sacred anymore?
    That's interesting. The local dealership has a large banner outside that reads "0% Financing for All 2002 Mazdas for up to 60 months!" That's stretching the truth. Sure, up to 60mths, but not on all models. hmmmmmmm. Not a great move, imho.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    we were led to believe the same thing when the 0% offer first appeared on the mazdausa site. I swear it said ALL. But the next day the site was just like it is today. oh well. I should have printed it. I may have misread it in the beginning though, so it could be my bad.

Regardless, you can still get 0% for 48 mos with no payments until January '03.

-Brian
  • pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    I saw a white ES at a local dealer. The interior was beige with a black dash and black graphite trim. I wasn't too impressed with the graphite trim. It looked Ok. That's why I was not impressed. I was expecting something really different. It was one of those take it or leave it things. If the van had every option I was looking for I would have gotten it. I'm still trying to find the right color with all the right options. At this point White may have to become an option for me.
  • smarssmars Member Posts: 32
    I got exactly the package you are looking for, with the exception of a cargo net instead of the step bumper($10-$15 diff). I paid just under $21,300 with S-plan.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a good (and relatively small - quick read) discussion called Tire Gauges on the Aftermarket & Accessories board that some of you may want to read. Good reviews of brands, etc. I'm traveling and away from my shortcut macros or I'd give y'all a link :-)

(Fish fry of Lake Trout or perch tomorrow night from L. Superior country, Javadoc, but somehow it's not quite the same).

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and A&A Message Boards
    Steve, ru back in the home-country in two-to-three weeks? :)

Hauling trout (real stretch for content...) in a new MPV would be really awesome! Don't try and fry them on the exhaust manifold tho... not good. ;)
  • doctord13doctord13 Member Posts: 22
    The dealer knew I had an S plan, but we started at that price and worked down. They started with giving me credit ($.10) per mile, but I then argued they needed to give me credit for the lost warranty as well. The dealer gets money back from Mazda to put the demo in service, so use it to your advantage. When all was said and done, by my calculation we were a little under cost before we took the $2,000 rebate and got to the numbers in the first e-mail -- remember, you can always start low and work your way up....I might have gotten a few hundred lower, but thought we got a great deal. We did do a trade-in, but the price was independent of wether I took their offer on the trade, or took it elsewhere/sold it myself.

My demo had about 5,000 miles, and runs great. We made them clean it (fair job) and my only complaint is that when they delivered the van, they did not have the remotes and I have to take it back when they come in.

Had it just under a week - my wife & kids love it, and I think it drives and rides well.

Good Luck!!