Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Modifications/Aftermarket/Accessories

Comments

• danmardanmar Member Posts: 7
    pls enlighten me. Just what is the purpose of the rear bumper protector? protect the bumper? isnt it bumper is made for bumping? what is next,a protector for the rear bumper protector ? my analysis is inorder to protect the bumper the " protector" has to be connected to chassis and rigid enough to defeat the safety-crumple effect of the bumper. I'll let my insurance company worry about my bumper. If its for aesthetic purpose, personally its not appealing to me.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Well when you parrallel park often, $700+ /month of repairs out of your own pocket is a bit much. That is how much it costs to get one of those plastic bumper painted. Not to mention if they push your spare tire into your door and window...

If they destroy a $150 bar, I rather replace that than the $700 bumper. The hitch for troopers are all frame mounted so you don't have to worry about it pushing in the bumper. SUVs don't have 5mph bumpers on them (as they aren't required by law) so there is no crumple zone built into bumpers on SUVs.

-mike
  • crunchycrunchy Member Posts: 26
    Hi all,

I've been lurking around here awhile, as I am considering purchasing a new Trooper (it's between that and a Pathfinder). Going to test drive the Trooper tonight.

My question is about rear protection. Looking at Paisan's bar prototype above, it seems like that would protect the bumper only if the car behind was a very specific height, so is it really that useful? I, too, parallel park quite often. Also, would this metal bar do more damage to the car behind me (that I'm bumping into) than a plain old bumper would? Or, maybe the steel bar could be covered with padding?

I'm also wondering about the spare tire. Would the back end of the Trooper be safer if I took the spare off? I was thinking maybe I could leave it inside, except for when I need the cargo space. Plus, that way I could have that "new tire smell" in the interior instead of the "new car smell." ;)

- Crunchy
    Got the bar on. It's even better than I thought it would be. Also spent about an hour talkingwith Matt from independent4x.com about the bar, and other stuff he is working on. He is willing to make the rear bars however you guys want. (wider, narrower, lower, higher, with a 2x4" slab of steel instead of 2x2, etc.etc) It fits in the receiver tight, and it's VERY VERY Strong. It doesn't flex at all, even when pushed on the ends. I'd bet that the bolts on the hitch would give out before the unit itself. Matt snapped a few shots, so I should have pics very soon.

-mike
  • guillguill Member Posts: 94
    Saw the photos of your trooper on Paisan's site, nice! Couple of questions:
    1. What brand is your roof rack and cost?
    2. What Hellas do you have?
    3. How do you install fogs on the Trooper, do you just cut out the plastic in the factory spots?
    4. I like your ECB nudgebar, how do you like it? Pros/Cons?

Thanks.
  • duktrooperduktrooper Member Posts: 78
    Roof rack brand is Dycrest and style is Activa series. See earlier post on this forum for more info and web site address. I paid $189,plus $60 to install.

Hella fogs are 450's and they do fit the cut outs, but are a little tight as they are a little taller and wider than stock fogs. I had my 4WheelParts guys put in and it was easy for them to do the cut outs. They fit quite well.

I love my ECB and quality is phenomenal. Thick, beefy, heavy and clean installation fit. I highly recommend. See Mike "Paisan" if you're thinking of buying one. Good luck. John.
  • atgepatgep Member Posts: 4
    I am selling my stock rims from my 99. They are in nearly perfect condition with only 5000 miles on them. This would be a perfect addition to your truck if you want to put an alloy on the spare. I have 4 and will sell them individualy or as a set. I will ship then to your door for $100.00 each . If you are interested please drop me a line. gepfrich@mwr.is Thanks, Tom.
    Mike,
    I might be interested in participating in a group buy. Could you find out current prices for a black ECB nudge bar? Thanks.
    I am planning on another ECB group buy. You can check out http://isuzu-suvs.com/nudge.html for the pricing on the last group buy. I figure this order will close June 1 and look for getting them by late june/early july. If I get a big response, we can push it up to a Mid-May order point. Pricing should be around $275 shipped for the chrome, and $255 shipped for the black, depending on exchange rates.

-mike

I'm interested in one of your wheels. What style wheel is it and does that include the center cap? Thanks.
    Question about Trooper wheels. Why is it that on 99 Troopers the rear center caps are sunk in where on 2000+ troopers all center caps extend the same distance from the wheel? This applies to the 5-spoke alloy wheel, not sure about others. TIA.
    Guill,
    I noticed the same thing. I have no idea why they are sunk in. I personally like the sunk in ones better than the ones on the '00. Also I think in '00 they changed the Ltd./Lux rims so that the center piece is actually part of the rim, maybe on the S model as well.

-mike
    My center caps on my 2000 S are still a separate piece.

Also, what happened to the subject line??????
    I think they are doing some updates on the system. I think they are doing some updates, that may be why the subject line is missing.

I guess it is only on the LTD. that has a 1 piece rim + centercap.

-mike
    Duktrooper:
    Do you know what the weight capacity is for your roofrack? I looked on the website you provided but it didn't say. TIA.
    Duktrooper:
    Also, just wondering why you went with the different rims, off of a Rodeo right?
    They look real good.
    Hatch Bag + Pet Barrier + Rear Door Speakers

Hey, have any of you ever seen/used one of these?

http://www.hatchbag.com/hatchbag.html

It's the first bed liner I've seen that goes up the sides.

Also, I'm looking for a pet barrier that is metal with a relatively small mesh that goes all the way to the floor. Anybody have a recommendation?

And one more thing: have any of you ever installed speakers in the rear (i.e. back seat) doors of a late-model Trooper? I'm considering it, as the 4" speakers in the rear posts are totally useless.

If you check on http://isuzu-suvs.com there is a great "how-to" on upgrading the rear speakers.

-mike

• sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    sahara111 - more torsion bar questions:

After driving my Trooper a few days with the new 265/75R16s on, I am convinced that stiffer rate torsion bars would improve handling substantially. I have not had any luck so far getting the correct Sway-Away application, despite your helpful advice. So, I am wondering if you have a receipt or something from your installation with the part numbers that I need.

Also, having observed the installation, do you feel it is a doable DIY project?

Thanks,
    Steve
    Sdc2 and guill-

I asked Sahara and someone else before about part # for Swayaway and I'm quite sure it is 1549 for a 98+ Trooper.

Roof rack rating is 150lbs. but dealer told me it is the strongest of any aftermarket ones he puts on and could easily handle 200 lbs. He said the wgt limit is often restricted to what the vehicle mftrs will allow, as opposed to what they will hold.

My rims are from my 97 Trooper S. I swapped them out with those on the 99 I bought before I turned 97 leased Trooper in. HTH.
    RE: Rear speakers

Mike, I'm not talking about replacing the little 4" speakers that are in the rear posts -- I'm talking about cutting holes in the rear passenger doors (not the tailgate doors) and adding 6.5" rounds. I was wondering if anyone here has ever done that. But I do like your website :)

Sue
    Sue,
    Yeah I caught what you were saying about the pass doors. I know some people have but in 5.5" speakers in the rear pillars using the directions. I don't know of anyone who has done rear pass door speakers, but if you do do it, take pics and let us know!

-mike
  • nighter50nighter50 Member Posts: 127
    duktrooper - was your 97 trooper leased through Isuzu Motor Acceptance Corp? If so, how are they on "wear and tear" charges? My lease is up in a few months - I am over on mileage for which i know i will have to pay. No major damage - a small door ding (no paint chipped) and few small paint scratches...what am I in for?

Thanks in advance!
    I am intrigued by the idea of the Axiom engine management chip in the Trooper....the extra 15 hp would compensate nicely for the power loss from bigger tires...$500 is a little steep right now, but people have paid more for less gain than that.
    I'm not sure that will work, but all the documents I read the difference in driveline is the CPU. Did you actually price out the PC @ $500?

-mike
    No, I got that $500 number from some guy named "paisan" (Post #535)...
    ;-)
    haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

that was a WAG!

-mike

ps:who is this paisan guy?
  • jeff_vjeff_v Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1994 Isuzu Trooper EL. The passenger-side front speakers (I believe both the one in the door and the one by the mirror) occasionally cut out. Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know of a fix? Is it in the wiring or the head unit?

Also, I am interested in adding keyless remote to this vehicle. The vehicle came with a security system, but no keyless entry. Has anyone added this feature, integrating it with the original equipment security system? If so, what components were necessary? Any suggestions on brands, etc. and places to look?

Thanks.
    No, I got that $500 number from some guy named "paisan" (Post #535)...
    ;-)
    Lease turn in

I had no problem with lease turn in. Isuzu turned my lease over to GECAL, which is pretty common. They did charge me for mileage but nothing on minor dents and dings. In fact, I snuck one over on them as they failed to notice a dent behind the spare tire mounted on rear door. You guessed...some one popped me in parking lot.

GECAL offered me an unbelievable price to buy, but I wanted to go ahead and get a '99. Anyway, make sure once they take it away, they assume all responsibility in transporting it. That way, they can't come back on you for damage they didn't catch upon final inspection. HTH.
  • tomm12tomm12 Member Posts: 1
    Hi atgep I have a 99S and I would be interested in one of the wheels you have for sale. I would like one with the large center cap. You can get back to me at odell4nc@gateway.net
  • radman6radman6 Member Posts: 81
    Jeff Y. Speakers cutting out? It's probably the speaker connections (in the door)that are vibrating loose and causing it to cut out. That's what I would check first. It's also the easiest thing to troubleshoot. Just pry off the speaker grill, remove the screws, pull the speaker out, and turn on the stereo while wiggling the connection to see if it cuts out. If it does cut out you've found your problem. You can push the connector back on tight to fix the problem. You may even have to take the plug apart, recrimp the connector, then put it back together.

If not the connector, it's somewhere in the head unit, harness or wiring - all much more difficult to troubleshoot. Good luck!
  • cd1000cd1000 Member Posts: 16
    I got a good deal on a class 3 hidden hitch from truckaddons.com Pd. $165 for hitch, wiring, receiver, and ball. That price includes shipping. I also checked with trailerhitch.com and they carry their own brand--no Reese or Hidden-- and their price was $145 with no wiring(didn't even have it in stock other than spliceable) or receiver and ball. Chris
    Rear Bar Pics...

This is in the closest to the vehicle setting. I now have it in the outter setting which puts it about 1" further from the car.

-mike

• gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    Mike,

That rear bar really looks good. I'd like to get one, but I might have to do some convincing at home. Can you email me the guy's address, email, and telephone. You say it is $150 right. I could also pick it up depending on shipping charges. Thanks.
    GPM,

You can bill it as additional rear-end collision protection. Also if you think about it, $250 for the spare tire cover alone would make the $150 worth it. Yeah he is in Brooklyn so a pickup is doable. Also was gonna ask you if you wanted to do some light 4wheeling over the summer. Some of the 4x4 guys are planning a trip to Uwharrie, NC for a 3 day weekend July 19-22 IIRC. If you decide to come to that, Matt could bring it along. You can contact Matt at http://independent4x.com

-mike

• fourwd1fourwd1 Member Posts: 11
    REF # 579

A friend has the same problem w/his '94 Trooper. The problem is in the head unit on his truck.
    Paisan's rear bar:

The $150 is well worth it. Even when offroading, I've worried about backing into a tree on narrow trails that I've turned around on. I'll be making a trip to Long Island-Stony Brook (beginning of June) and could pick it up. How far from the corners of the bumper is yours? Yeah some light offroading this summer sounds good. I normally don't do anything that serious but occasionally do worry about getting stuck without someone else. Usually, I just take a drive, see a forest trail or what not and go do some investigating. Sometimes you need to check out the signs for who is allowed where though.
    The bar ends at the edges of the doors, and has a 45degree corner which lines up with the bumper edges. It could probably be about 6" wider and come to the edges of the bumpers, although the way it stands if they are gonna scrape the corner, they'll hit the metal first.

As for the off-roading trip, it's down in western NC. The guys from Planet Isuzoo are gonna be camping/off-roading for 2 or 3 days in July. The nice part is that some are hardcore off-roaders, and some aren't (like myself) everyone goes together, and there are bypasses for those of us who don't want to wreck our trucks :) And there is always winches and tow-straps, etc. etc. As it gets closer, I'll be posting details in the Events area.

-mike
  • mhiggins2000mhiggins2000 Member Posts: 17
    Trooper shocks for mainly on-road driving.

All, I've been following the discussions here for quite a while, very informative, Thanks!

My question: is there any consensus for which aftermarket shocks help reduce body roll and front-end dip for a Troop that spends most of it's life tooling around town? I have a 95 LS 4WD that used to be mine, now it's my wife's and is used mostly for hauling our 2 kids around and 2-3 trips to Tahoe a year.

Thanks in advance!

Matt
    The Rancho 9000s are nice cause you can adjust them to just the amount of comfort/stiffness you want, even if you set it once and leave it. For on-road I've heard good things about the Monroe Sensatracs. As for body roll, shocks won't change that. You should look at getting the calmini sway bars if you want to stop body roll.

-mike

http://isuzu-suvs.com

I'll probably pass on the NC trip, although that sounds like fun. I was planning on going to VT/NH in July and will probably be busy with that.
  • sahara111sahara111 Member Posts: 51
    SDC2:

The part number is SWA 1549 (at the time I ordered it). I bought them thru 4 Wheel Parts, total was $214.70 for the set, that was almost a year ago.

The bars are marked Left and Right; you might be able to do the install yourself - you need to lift the vehicle and it would be nice to have some air tools available. Looks like they charged me $25 per bar for the install, so I think it was worth it.

Good luck.
    Hey all. Here is a link to the rear bar protector.

http://independent4x.com/item.html?PRID=846484

Matt has it on sale for $129, so get em while they are hot. :)

-mike

I updated a number of items on the pages. Also setup a page for the Next ECB Nudge Bar Group Buy.

-mike
  • nighter50nighter50 Member Posts: 127
    thanks for the info...i may have more questions for you. Lease is up in a couple months.
    I am seriously considering this mod.
  • cd1000cd1000 Member Posts: 16
    Paisan,
    Are you happy with your rack? Is it sturdy and have you found anything you don't like about it? I am looking at the one at overlander and one by Surco for about the same price. Thanks, Chris
    I don't have a rack yet. I like the looks of John Warren's rack I think he is DUxxxxx on here. I've found that I haven't had a need for one yet.

-mike
    Anybody put a subwoofer in their Troooper yet? I was thinking that a few 8-inchers might fit in the cubby under the back seats. I haven't found any manufacturers with a pre-made stealth box for the Trooper yet.

Sue
This discussion has been closed.