Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Let me clarity something you have incorrect....Mazda does NOT give the dealer anything to put a car in demo service.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    How does the S-Plan work. Did you use it in conjunction with the 0% financing or the $2000 cash back? or doesn't it work that way. Any information would be helpful.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I think he's referring to holdback perhaps?
  • rc168rc168 Member Posts: 12
    I posted a message just now at MPV Meet the Members. Well, I have not bought the car yet, so I guess I made a mistake...

Anyway, I would like to ask fellow CT residents about their dealership experience. I am willing to go across the state (it is not that big anyway ;-) ) or even MA if I could get a good deal somewhere.

Thanks.
    While Rich(audia8q) is not allowed to solicit to you per the Town Hall Terms of Use, you might want to e-mail him (audia8q@aol.com) about your search.
    Thanks maltb. Yup, I thought about it but was unsure whether it is appropriate (polite) to do so.

So--Audia8q, is it OK for me to shoot some emails toward your way ;-)
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Rich: How much do you know about A6 2.7T quatts? I'm looking at a 2000 model. Do you hang over in any Audi threads?

Thx, java
  • mefoghornmefoghorn Member Posts: 12
    I just bought an MPV in Dallas, but was in Springfield,MA last week and saw the "rare" Coastal Blue at a dealership there, on a north-south road just west of I-91 I think, south of Mass Pike. Didn't deal with anyone, though. No pressure I guess.
  • pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    I finally bought my MPV. Wife picked out a White ES with Black/Beige interior. We got the moon roof, 4-Seasons; and in-dash 6-disk CD. Dealer is to install Roof Rack; rear spoiler; step plate; mirror with compass/Temp and mud guards. Inventory is really getting tight. I spent 4 hours to get a price of $500 over invoice. Dealer said it would be more expensive to install the other items and was really grinding. I was having a hard time finding exactly what I wanted. So I paid a little more. I took the $2000.00 cash back and got a price of $26,300 before taxes and tags. This also included window tint. Not the best deal but I feel comfortable with it. Dealer said he could install all the options today? (Saturday) I seriously doubt it, but I can hope.

Basurf : Thanks for your Auto Mirror post #3858. I copied your post and took it to the dealer. I knew before I got there that they would say the Auto Mirror was a factory install only. The sale manager said look there is no power to the front windshield. I showed him your post and he said no problem we can take care of it. It's funny how much help these post can be. I know I have learned a lot from everyones input. Zoom Zoom
  • doctord13doctord13 Member Posts: 22
    Audia8q: The sales person and his manager both clearly told me that they "got money" for putting the vehicle in service as a demo. They may have considered and expense they wrote off as milage as getting something, but they were very clear (?not to their advantage to lie). They did not say that they got money from mazda, but maybe as a tax savings as an expense????
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Congrats! I'm glad you finally pulled the trigger, patience is a virtue. Let us know how your aftermarket items....look after the install.
    Many happy, safe miles.

Pjd58
    As I suspected the dealer was not able to install one single item. I have to wait a week for them to order the parts and then schedule a install day. Wish me luck with the dealer installs. :-)
  • basurfbasurf Member Posts: 42
    Supposedly they had to take off the dash and all sorts of things to put my mirror in.

I will take some pics of it and put them up somewhere so you can take a look...they did a fine job. Although it doesn't work as great as a thought (temperature). Let me know how yours does.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I am now confused on the MPV 0% financing option. I now know that it is 0% for 48 months but the latest "pop-up" window on the mazdausa.com site also says that to qualify you need to put 10% down. Is this true? That is a hefty down payment for a well equipped MPV. Is this accurate? It is looking to be a much better deal to get my own financing and take the $2k cash.
    If you finance $20k for 6yrs at 6.95 you'll pay $2,966 in interest. If you bank that $2k cash and get.... 10% (a stretch, compounded monthly 'cuz I'm lazy) then in 6yrs it'll be worth about $3000. Someone tell me if I did that right. I used an online calculator. :)

So, by my quick calcs, it's a wash. :)
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    When I just figure annual interest at 10%

1.1^6 = 1.77

2000 * 1.77 ~= 3500

After year 1 $2200
    After year 2 $2420
    After year 3 $2662
    After year 4 $2928
    After year 5 $3221
    After year 6 $3543

Unless you were thinking 4 years, then it is close to $3000

On the loan, using very rough numbers, and assuming you are paying off the principle at the rate of 1/6 per year or $3333.33 (Not really realistic, but close enought for what I want to do.)

Average balance the first year is (20K + (20K-3333.33)) /2 18333.33 6.95% interest on that is $1274.17

The second year, the average balance is 15,000, and the interest on that is $1042.50, cumulative interst is 2316.67

The third year, the average balance is 11666.67 and the interest on that is $810.83, cumulative interest is 3127.50

You can see that we are already close to the rather generous 10% return on 2K, and my estimations will be low as you don't really pay 1/6th of the principle each year in most cases.

The fourth years average balance will be 8333.34 with interest due of $579.17, and a total of $3706.67

The fifth years average balance will be $5K, with interest due $347.50, and cumulative interest of 4054.17

And in the final year, the average balance will be $1666.67, interest due of $115.83, and cumulative interest of $4170

Now you have to compare this with the interest charged for the different principle if you used the 2K to reduce the price from say 20K to 18K

Is that what we are doing now.

It is time for bed.

TB
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Four years at 6.95% is close to $3K interest when you borrow 20K
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    I know everything in Alaska is big, but not interest rates. I don't think they even have rates that high down in Texas. ;<) Also, remember that you will need to pay taxes on any interest you earn which will reduce your gain regardless of the rate you earn. Just my (untaxed) $.02. dan
    Following pierac's posting, I wonder and would like to ask what to say when negotiating a deal. My Camary is 11 years old, so you know how "experienced" I am walking into the show room.

I assume we can start from Invoice (or lower?) and of course the sales has a higher figure in mind. Then what? To go anywhere I would think it is quite meaningless to continue a dialog of yes and no. So, how do I inch up my offer and how can I convince the sales that he/she is thinking too highly of the vehicle? I will bring the Edmunds printing with me, but I am not even sure whether I should use it in the process.

Am I making too big a deal out of this? I was in a Toyota dealership a few months ago and the sales was showing me a 1999 Sienna CT for over $20,000!! I am happy to take a reasonable offer, but when the difference is a few grands, I just think it will be SO much work.

Look forward to hearing from y'all.
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    My spouse and I are in the market for a new vehicle this autumn to replace our '92 Protege (160,000 miles on it) and the MPV is in the running. Recently, I had the opportunity to rent one from Hertz while on a business trip to Colorado with my family.

I picked up a silver LX model with 3,900 miles on the clock at the airport. I put several hundred miles on it during the next few days.

Pros:
    --The driver's seat was very comfortable. A couple of hours of driving didn't hurt my back at all.
    --The tuck and tumble rear seat is a great device. With the seat down, I had plenty of room for three suitcases, a baby stroller, etc.
    --Good visibility all around.
    --We liked the ability to laterally slide the second row seat.
    --Handled well on I-70 in a pouring rainstorm.
    --A/C (came with rear A/C) worked well and cooled the vehicle quickly.
    --The vehicle had adequate power to climb up to 11,400 feet.

Cons:
    --Would have liked just one more stop back on the seat position to accommodate my 6' 2" frame.
    --It's a judgement call where the front end of the vehicle is (to be honest, I got used to it very quickly, after parking a few times six feet away from the curb).
    --Hated the wiper control stalk position...I hit it everytime I shifted into reverse or park. It became a joke during our trip.
    --Check engine light came on for no apparent reason in the middle of the trip (just lit upon one start up). It did not reset during my time with the vehicle, but seemed to have no impact on driveability.
    --Not quite a roomy as I thought it would be up front. Glovebox door hits passenger's legs when opened, even if passenger seat is all the way back.
    --OEM Dunlops are pretty noisy on the highway.

Bottomline, the MPV is still in the running in our minds. The competition is the VW Passat wagon. I have to do a back-to-back comparison.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Altair4, fwiw, our editors liked the Passat (but it was a wagon comparision):

2002 Midsize Wagons Comparison Test

Rc168, I've only purchased 3 cars since 1982, so I know what you are saying. Keep reading Edmunds and find a decent salesperson....

Steve

Host

SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

I'm a popular guy today...I will be even more popular. I have 2003 MPV details. I will post them a little later today.

RC168....your welcome to email me anytime..as is everyone else. As long as your not spamming me. haha

javadoc...email me about the A6. I can give you any insight you need.

mefoghorn....The Mass dealer you mentioned is apx 20-25 min from me. stop in and see us next time.

doctored....no demo money. They give us some financial assist if we put the car in the "rental" fleet for loaner cars...but not a demo. They are giving you the business.
    no powertrain changes.
    new stylish exhasut tip...wow
    floor mats and cargo mat standard on lx
    16'' alloys now standard on LX
    Power doors now optional on LX and ES models
    trailer hitch and receiver now available
    no restrictions on GFX colors
    Cassette on ES
    no luxury package
    Traction and side airbags in one package (LX)
    Security pkg on ES only

ES base price now 26000 plus dest.
    LX base price now 22600 plus dest.
    Yah, we're aware of the outcome of that test. You guys are killing my negotiations with all of that praise on the VW!

Superficially, comparing the MPV and the Passat wagon looks like an apples to oranges comparison, but I think they are both nice iterations of the family hauler. I think the MPV ES and a well optioned Passat GLS compare closely in price and features. They're just different ways to get to the same solution.

What really prompts me to look at either of these vehicles is the addition of a child to our family. I need a vehicle that will accept a stroller laying on it's side to allow enough room to allow road trips without stacking luggage in the rear seat.

Thanks again for your comments.
    I started my post w/6yrs, but then remembered the 0% was for 4yrs. My apologies for the error. So... 4yrs would be a wash... $2928 on the 'banked' money and almost $3k in financing on $20K. Sorry... I was tired. :)

Dan, I pulled the 10% b/c my finance professor always said that you can historically expect a 10% return on your investment in the stock market. These days, you can't expect much though, can you? I forgot about the taxes. Gotta pay Uncle Sam. So, it may be better to take the financing then, huh?

/j
    So, not much changed, but some standard items on the ES are now optional, with increase in the base prices in both? I wonder how much more power doors would add to the price of the ES. Some good changes there (GFX, wheels, packaging) though!
  • sd1228sd1228 Member Posts: 46
    Wow ! Lot of new MPV owners in last month..
    Our Sand MPV-ES completed 1000 miles in 2 weeks.
    I am pleased with its looks and performance.
    Gas mileage is little over 22 MPG.
    The power doors will be an $800 option. On the LX model, rear A/C is required...

Base price of the ES dropped $1192 but the LX price jumped up $350.
    the exhaust tip and carbon fiber trim itself is worth $350. Thanks Charlie.

Joking aside, I think the floor mats($100) plus 16" alloys(previously part of the lux pkg) are well worth the $350 increase. If I only had of waited....there will always be better and more right?
    ..always greener, Malt. :)

Malt, maybe the exhaust tip is good for some hp... maybe 50hp, just like a 'Zoom-Zoom' sticker! I haven't seen the c.f. dash, so I'll take your word for it. The 16" rims alone are worth the increase on the LX, imho. Floormats should've been standard a long time ago. They should bring back the SuperSound option for the LX. Mazda must not have sold enough of those units in the earlier two years then. Hmm.

Thanks to Rich for the great info!
    The standard sound system for the '02 is crap compared to the previous year. I guess they needed to do that to reduce the price and increase other content, but it was a real disappointment. I shoulda swapped radios in the parking lot...lol.
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Anybody got anything new? Maybe '05?
    I went to the dealer with Edmunds pricing. Especially the options. I was honest and told the truth. The dealer asked me what I wanted to pay for the car. I told him what every one else is paying on the web. I explained that people are writing in on the forums and getting pricing of invoice. He said that Edmunds numbers are not always right. I told him I never said any thing about Edmunds numbers. I explained people are writing in and stating they are getting invoice. So show me your invoice we will start there. I never saw his invoice so I used Edmunds. His must have been lower or something because he never would produce it. I had to haggle for about 3 hours on the pricing of my add ons. I paid $920.00 for the dealer to install the fog lights; roof rack; auto temp/compass mirror; step plate; mudguards; and rear spoiler. So, in the end I paid a little over $500.00 over invoice. Tint was also included. This helped cover the install fees. I really did want to be fair. Not one of those inconsiderate buyers/ grinders. REMEMBER work from the out the door price. Don't get trapped into talking about monthly payments. You can work on that after you agree on a price.
    One last thing write your numbers out every time they change their offer. I wrote out the math over 9 times and caught hidden pricing almost every time. You would be surprise how smooth they are with numbers. I found several "Oops we forgot to deduct that." I.e. $2000 cash back. The first few mistakes were to test you. His math came out at MSRP the first time even though we were talking invoice. Also make sure the numbers don't change. I.e. document fees went from $299.00 to $399.00. They know how to keep you talking and off the numbers. So write it out. Like I said, I don't believe I got the best deal as some others who have posted but I'm happy with it.
    P.S. I made document fees part of the $500.00 over invoice. Good Luck and stick with what you are comfortable with paying.
    I went to the Real world trade-in value forum in the smart shopper section and asked for help. I also performed a used car pricing here on Edmunds and listed condition as Rough. That's about what they will give you. No matter how nice your car is you probably will not get a better price than what's listed under rough condition. But that's just my opinion. That why it's always better to sell the car your self.
    I really didn't have to deal much with my trade-in. I followed the above and every thing went smooth. Good luck and be careful.
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Thanks for the update info on the 2003s! Any word on added color choices, such as Milennium Red?

-TB
    Wow, really educational and thanks.

If the document fee is part of the $500 over invoice, then I think you have done well.

I plan take the 2K and give my beloved Toyota to my brother, so my situation should be quite straightforward. Now, I just need to concentrate and be very sharp... ;-)
  • scsmith38scsmith38 Member Posts: 5
    When is the 2003 coming onto the market?
    No new colors for 2003 :-( but the GFX does come in any color now if you are so inclined.
    What interior color does Midnight Blue come in? :-))
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    "....my finance professor always said that you can historically expect a 10% return on your investment in the stock market."

I guess I can see that perspective. As long as history is not changing right before our eyes without us knowing it!! But, yes, given enough time a 10% return wouldn't be unreasonable based on past experience. I was thinking that you were looking at 10% over the period of the car loan, but who knows what to expect in the market over such a short period? Dan
    Your future looks gray.
  • mikecomikeco Member Posts: 17
    My MPV had only 1 mile when I bought it.

The 3rd day, I put a pretty big cut to the rear-right tire by hitting the curb. That is not too bad.

Now a week after, I found 2 big dents(size of a human palm) and 2 buckles on the surface of the passenger-side front fender. No sign of any paint damage. I am very sad about that. I didn't hit anything. Don't understand how those come from.
    It is not very likely that they come from the factory and I missed on inspection. Any idea of how the dealer would do about it?

If those are caused by a hit of human body(likely since there is no paint damage at all), I'd say the strength of the sheet metal of the MPV is too poor.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Try a paintless dent removal company. Your dealer could probably make a recommendation. They can work wonders and your problems sound like just the type of work they do best, since there is no paint damage. Good luck.
    'your future looks gray'... you don't know the half of it, LOL!!

Thx. Too bad, b/c I very much like the midnight blue. :)
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    unless....you can find one of those coveted beige/black beasts, if they still offer that option for '03.

-Brian
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Well come on down and let me sell you a brand spanking new computer today - hurry on in, this screamer deal won't last long!!!!!!!

Sorry for the crash - I haven't actually been to Cal's site for a year or so.

I drove into Cal's in Anchorage once and did a slow U turn in the front lot as 3 salesguys were trying to cut me off and stick their cards in my face. Another time I called about a used van and the salesguy couldn't quote me a price, and apparently had no concept of a cash deal since he could only ask me what I wanted my monthly payments to be.

If you've never experienced Cal, you really owe it to yourself to vacation in SoCal and visit one of his dealerships ;-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    all the beige interiors are labeled beige/black but the midnight blue is not avail that way.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I thought so too, until I came across this using the mazdausa.com locator.

Look up a MPV ES in zip code 60046. Choose the 'Rosen Mazda of Lake Villa' and look for the one with a vin# ending in 26036, priced @ $29,287. It's listed with 'beige/black' and 'midnight blue mica'. Viewing the 'equipped with' it shows 'dash-carbon fiber'.

So, I'm thinking this particular color combo only is available with the carbon fiber dash option.

Also, I'm only going by what the web inventory says - I have not seen one of these in person. Would like to though ;)

-Brian
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Just realized the MPV doesn't have an ashtray. Fortunately I don't smoke, but what's the deal with that? Besides, I wanted to be the 4000 post! :-)
  • wantampvwantampv Member Posts: 3
    I am a few days away from purchasing either a Black or Blue MPV. I have been reading your posts for the last month while I research and have found everyone a wealth of info. If anyone has any gripes about the blue or black color please sound off so I can make up my mind. The dark colors are the only way I can convince my wife to buy a mini van. Thanks in advance!