Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Isuzu Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I believe that if you add in the 375 + 284 you will get around what the delivery charge is. Also let us not forget the dealer needs to maek $ on this product.

I get $25,588 Invoice with shipping on a 5speed model described above.
    I get $26,513 Invoice with shipping on an Automatic.

I'd then take those #s and subtract out 3% which is the holdback if the vehcile was originally delivered to the dealer you are buying it from then subtract any factory to dealer incentives, then add about $1200-$1500 to that # and get the total you should pay. $1200-$1500 gross profit for a dealer on a $25K truck isn't an un-fair deal. Don't forget out of that $1200-$1500 the dealer has to pay insurance, HVAC, Electic, prep, salesmen, managers, janitors, rent, etc. etc. and still make some money to bring home.

-mike

PS: I'm not a dealer :)
  • gls2gls2 Member Posts: 10
    You said that "The only thing I'm missing from getting an LSE is the wood grain trim."
    It does LOOK nice but it scratches very easily.
  • bsmart1bsmart1 Member Posts: 377
    Those of you posting information about good deals might be interested it this.... and its probably a result of the economic slowdown we're seeing now on Wall Street and other places. If you're willing to drive or fly to Little Rock Arkansas, they are advertising 2001 model Rodeo's and Troopers at $19995. The Rodeo would likely be a nicely equipped unit and the Trooper probably a "S" model, but the prices are attention getters for sure. Check em' out at Jones Nissan Isuzu. 501-945-6191
  • centralcentral Member Posts: 51
    At their website, http://www.jonesisuzu.com/, they only list 2 new Troopers in stock and one of them is a 2000. Also, the quoted prices are both listed well north of $20k.

I am not doubting what you read. I just suspect that that when someone calls they will get a "we just sold that Trooper but we have some other great deals come on down" spiel. Then again, the prices could be for used Troopers.

• dk667dk667 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info Mike. I should note, though, that the 375 & 284 charges were in addition to a (for my area) 520 destination charge.

Also, where did you get your invoice numbers? Because for my area (I'm in Kansas City), edmunds lists the model described above ('01 Rodeo LS 4WD 4 speed auto w/ App. pkg, Value pkg, Alum. wheels, Body molding, Cargo tray) as dealer invoice of $25508 with a True Market Value of $26300 (and MSRP of $28884). Do you think edmunds is off on this?
  • nato1nato1 Member Posts: 102
    jcmccants3- I think you can do better. If that price comes with the 0.0% for 60 months, then I'd say go for it. For my 2000 rodeo ls 4x4,16" rims, 6 disc, bug deflector, cargo mat and net, I paid just under $25k (oct '00). (Massachusetts)
    Edmunds is always off IMHO. I've been car shopping for me and others pretty much year round for the past 3 or 4 years (I have a big family and lots of friends) and the edmunds #s are always lower than the actual invoices especially on the Isuzus and Subarus, since my buddy is a salesman @ subaru/isuzu, I get to see the actual invoices on occasion :)

-mike
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I had to go through the Holdback explanation page..

at the bottom is the link to the full listing of Rebates and Incentives.. Not the 'select your state" page:

http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/Incentives.html

So, they are missing a link to the old style page. Once you get there it has the 4 sets of links on the left side of the page instead of the 2 links you get from the main page.

Bill

• jcmccants3jcmccants3 Member Posts: 8
    Hey, wanted to say thanks for all the feedback. The $27,200.00 price is at 0% for 60 months. Also, dealer is having to get the car from another dealer out of state, and I was wondering if that made a price difference versus what he has on the lot? Called the place in Ark. and they didn't have any Troopers or Rodeos in that price range of 19,000. Sad to see my 87 Trooper LS 4wd with 208,000 miles go, but hope I have that kind of luck again. Anymore comments are help are greatly appreciated!
    He won't get the dealer holdback $ if he gets it from another dealer so that is something to take into account.

-mike
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    Last Friday, I went to a local Isuzu dealer and I found a Rodeo LS 2wd auto, with Appearance Pkg, and Cargo mat with a MSRP of $25,170. It has everything that I want and the dealer was very nice and let me take it home for the weekend! I now want to go back this evening and make a deal. I want to offer invoice + 2% and get 60 months financing at 0.0%.

My problem is determinig what is the real invoice price for this car. Edmunds say its $22,462, Kelly Blue book say its $23,447 and Carpoint calculates it to be $23,225. I want to make a fair offer to the dealer but I don't want to be taken.

From earlier posts on this board, it seems that Edmunds is definitely low on their invoice pricing for Isuzu.
  • awatsoawatso Member Posts: 2
    Got a qoute from a dealer for a S 2WD of $25,480.
    He says that is the invoice price and faxed a copy of it to me.

Is this a good deal? Also, the invoice price includes holdback...should I subtract that $815 to get the "real" invoice price.

Thanks for the help!
  • gpm5gpm5 Member Posts: 785
    A trooper S 2WD at $25480 sounds high IMO. This does not sound like dealer cost (invoice) to me, although I have not checked the costs recently.
  • awatsoawatso Member Posts: 2
    jbkennedy - from digging aropund a bit it looks like Edmunds subtracts out the dealer holdbacks to get their invoice price...Carpoint does not.

Not absolutely sure, but that is what it seems like.

Where in TX are you? I'm in Houston.
  • jbkennedyjbkennedy Member Posts: 70
    Yes, I am in Houston also and am dealing with McKinzey Bond Isuzu-Kia. They seem very nice but we have not talked price yet.
    According to Carpoint I get 25,244 for the S 2wd. Carpoint has been within $10 of my dealers actual invoice on every isuzu I've checked. So I'd use carpoint as a reference over edmunds.

-mike
  • cd1000cd1000 Member Posts: 16
    As I posted on the other Trooper forum, we just bought a 2001 LS 4WD w/ moonroof $22385 ($10k less msrp). It was a program car w/ 10k miles. They have one left out of ten they started with. They have a white LS 4WD w/ leather they added. It has 9k miles. They quoted me $33985 less $10000. It has a couple of scuffs and a cut on the glove box. It is at Lou Sobh in Atl. ask for Sonny. Chris
    Just was down at my dealer last night checking over the newly arrived Axioms. The 2000 Black Trooper LS with running boards and moonroof is now down to $25,677 selling price w/o the 0% financing. Anyone interested contact Mark or Ira @ 718-979-9595 tell em mike sent you from edmunds and you'll get an even bigger discount. This car is located in NYC.

-mike
  • drewsmom1drewsmom1 Member Posts: 6
    Everyone,

Just wanted to thank you for all of your help in our new car search. We did purchase a new 2000 4WD Trooper S for $22,000 and are very pleased with our purchase.
    Welcome to the crew! Keep us posted on how the truck holds up. Send pictures of your new baby for http://isuzu-suvs.com :)

-mike

• radman6radman6 Member Posts: 81
    Drewsmom1 - wow, you got a great buy on your Trooper at $22K. We worked the dealers pretty hard in November 2000 and gave 24k for our 2000S auto, 4WD, with 6 CD changer, hood protector and cargo mat. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we have. Welcome to the club!
  • sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    Was the 22k - out the door? Or +TTL?

David
  • drewsmom1drewsmom1 Member Posts: 6
    Our truck was 22K plus TTL, so walk out was 23.6K. Also, we did not get the 0.0 finance with this. Our salesman was Ken with Buz Post in Arlington, TX.
  • lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    Anybody watching the Eco-challenge on USA network this week? They're running the new Joe Isuzu ads three or four times. I think there are two more nights of coverage. Great ad - maybe Isuzu is trying to increase US visibility.

I think the 0% 60 Month financing is due to a combination of the US economic downturn and the Japanese interest rate situation. On the news yesterday, a story indicated that dealers have 3.5 months worth of inventory, compared to a typical level of 2 months of inventory. They had a FORD dealer saying that Explorers and Expeditions were 25% off - the most ever. I might take one for 50% off, but I think Ford makes a POS. There is an SUV glut too - probably in response to Petro prices and overproduction.

Just some random musings.

Andy
  • jcmccants3jcmccants3 Member Posts: 8
    Just purchased a 2001 Rodeo LS 4WD, appear. pkg., value pkg., 16" locking alloy wheels, cargo tray, tail lamp trim, and 6 CD player. Pd. $27,000 at 0% for 60 months. Invoice was around 26,600 and had to get vehicle form outside dealer. So far I love the vehicle and wanted to say thanks for everyone's help and advice! Also, wanted to throw in that one of the dealers I was working with would not budge from 27,250 in order to match the 27k that another dealer was offering me. However, once I told him I had made my decision to go with the other dealer, he called back within the hour and dropped his price to $26,5. Oh, well, too little too late! Thanks again and so long to my Late Great 1987 Trooper with 208,000 miles!
  • skylerpupskylerpup Member Posts: 7
    I also just purchased a 2001 Rodeo LS 4WD, white, with appear. pkg., value pkg., 16" locking alloy wheels, cargo tray, tail lamp trim, and 6 CD player. But also got body side molding AND side step bars for $26693, MSRP was $28884. I had negotiated with paying half on the side step bars, which would have cost $150 instead of $300 installed. But the salesman wrote up the order without adding the extra amount into the sale. So I ended up with FREE side step bars! Gotta love it when the sales people screw up in our favor. Basically paid about $50 above invoice and still had the 0.0% financing for 60 months.

Plus, the dealership I was at was giving a promotion of either a Samsung 21" color TV or an RCA DVD player with the purchase of a car. So on top of my great deal, I picked the DVD player too!

This dealership also gave me an extra $800 on my trade-in compared to a local Izusu dealer. Local dealer was going to give me $6500 on a Blazer. Instead, I got $7300! It was well worth the hour drive south to buy from that dealer.

I've had my baby for two weeks now and love it.

My husband is tall and complains that the rear-view mirror gets in his line of sight when he drives. Fortunately for me, it's MY truck and I don't have that problem :-)

Sunny
  • christyb1christyb1 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are trying to decide which SUB to buy. We like the 2001 Tahoe and 2001 Trooper S. Both are 4 by 2. The trooper dealer in Nashville at Bob Frensley seems nice enough, and I think we could get a great car for $300 or so above invoice and 0% financing. The only drawback is the uncomfortable seats. The tahoe will have to be ordered as the only ones available are loaded to the gills with needless options. Both cars will be in the neighborhood of $30,000. Of course, the Tahoe will be a few thousand more due to finance charges, but those seats are so comfortable... could be worth extra on long trips. Gas mileage is equivalent. Trooper gets the moon roof. Tahoe is larger. Both drive equally well. Surprisingly, after researching the reviews and reading these boards for 8 months trying to decide, I have found it to be even as far as current customer compliments/complaints go. So, we bring it to you. Please help. Also, I am posting this on the dealers page since I want to get the maximum deal on an LS with moonroof and leather that is possible. We are willing to drive 250 miles to get it!! Any idea??? One other item, is it possible to change that center console in any way, and do the seats get more comfortable with time???
    They are pretty comfy now at 20K miles :)

The LS with Moonroof + 2wd should be no more than around $25-27K. I paid $27.5 last year for a 4wd w/moonroof.

The amount of $ you'll save getting a Trooper you could probably buy new seats + a center console for it and still come out much cheaper than the Tahoe :)

Check out http://isuzu-suvs.com

If you read the Metalfest '01 section you'll see why Isuzu owners are a different breed than any other car manufactuer! :)

-mike

• rdg50rdg50 Member Posts: 9
    I am in the market for a 2001 Rodeo LS 4x4 with the following options: Automatic, Appearance Package, Cargo Mat, Value Package and Aluminum Wheels. The MSRP for this vehicle is $28,884.

I have check the TMV pricing listed on Edmunds for this vehicle, and it is $24,606. Edmunds also has the invoice listed at $25,605; therefore, Edmunds' TMV is $999 below invoice.

Since I have never purchased an Isuzu before, I would like to know what would be a good price.
    Hi rdg50:

Take a look at my post #177. I bought the same MSRP car for $26693. I think I got a really good deal.

You should really call around, even if the dealer is more than an hour or two drive away. Local dealer was willing to sell me the same car for $27249. I drove an hour south of here and got the car for $26693. It is only a $556 difference. However, factor in the local dealer only offering me $6500 on a trade compared to the other dealer who gave me $7300 on my trade in. Now we're up to $1356.

Plus I got free side step boards installed, worth extra $300...now I'm saving $1656. Still got the 0.0% financing for 60 months. And a free DVD player that was worth $250. (The dealership I went to was in Toldeo, Ohio. Let me know if you want my salesman's name.)

So it really pays to shop around. Let the salesperson know if they give you the right price, they'll get your business. Tell them exactly what you're looking for and what kind of offer you're willing to make. They'll probably tell you to come in so you can work out a deal. Just say that it's a long drive for you and you don't want to waste your time if they can't even come close to what you're willing to pay.

It's particularly good if you don't mind what color the car is. The dealer is more willing to give you a break on something they've got on their lot as opposed to something they have to look around for.

I don't think the TMV pricing is very realistic. You might get the car a little bit cheaper that way, but if you have to pay 8% or more in interest, then you really don't save much, if anything. Crunch the numbers and see who's got the better deal.

I had to call around to 9 different dealerships before I found one that even had the car I wanted.

Hope this helps.

Sunny
  • teacherjimteacherjim Member Posts: 52
    ChristyB1,
    The Tahoe is a nice SUV as well as the Trooper. You will do okey with either one.
    I just went through the same process as you did and I bought the Trooper over the Tahoe due to cost, 0% financing, and the great 10 year/120,000
    mile warrantry. If you plan on selling or trading your new SUV in the next 3 years I would buy the Tahoe, it has good resale value, the Trooper is not as good resale. If you plan on keeping it for 5 years or more, I would buy the Trooper due to the great Warranty and the 0% finance cost. My seats seem uncomfortable at first but after sitting in them for a long time they seem fine. Hope this helps your decision.Either one is nice.
  • rdg50rdg50 Member Posts: 9
    Skylerpup:

I appreciate the prompt feedback. Was your price of $26,693 plus tax and title or was it an out-the-door price?
    rdg50:

Had to pay tax and title. Considering it was about $50 above invoice, couldn't complain too much. There wasn't much room negotiations at that point.

Glad to help!

Sunny
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    I saw a 99 Trooper with Luxury Package (leather, power heated seats, moonroof, etc.) for sale from a private individual. 32k miles, new tires, $18,000. This sounds like a great price; is this a much lower price than this vehicle should have?

I have a 98 Trooper with Performance Package but was thinking I'd try to convince my parents to buy this '99 Trooper.
    $18K sounds about right on a Lux '99. Check the background via Carfax.com and you should be good to go.

-mike
    Damn! I guess that means my 98 with Performance Package and 44,000 miles probably isn't worth $17k like I was hoping...
  • dawingzdawingz Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking at getting a 2001 Trooper Limited. Unfortunately only seems to be one dealer in Indianapolis area with one. It's a "demo" with 2k miles. They are only willing to give me a price of just over 32k. Is there a shortage? What do you guys think?
  • lovingpclovingpc Member Posts: 34
    Christyb1:

I bought a 2000 Trooper 4x2 Limited last May, and looked at Nashville dealers, but they would *not* give me the price I wanted. I went to Jim Reed, and they were extra-slimy.

I faxed out bids to dealers in Nashville, Chattanooga, Huntsville, Memphis, and even Birmingham. Long of Chattanooga met my deal (3% profit, no hold back), and even faxed me the bill of sale so I could see the "out the door" price. Memphis (Bluff City I think) wanted to deal with me too.

Long beat Jim Reed by $2,500. The seats on the Limited I THINK are larger then the S and LS, and I've found them to be great. The Ltd has leather, which I like except it sometimes gets too warm.

Dawingz: Looking for a Limited - I would do the same thing - fan out to dealers within a 2-3 hour drive and try to make a deal by phone/fax. Jim Reed tried to give me the line,"it's a LIMITED model, we don't get many of these", which is bull. Jim Reed also wanted to tack on an advertising fee, and documentation fees. Long of Chattanooga didn't, and also didn't charge for the heavy cargo mat and pin stripes.

Good luck!

Andy
    Ltd and LS have the same seats, just the Ltd are leather. The S has the non-lumbar supported and without the arm rests.

-mike
    bluedevils,

I would check it out, make sure no obvious problems. Seems like an excellent price.
  • cd1000cd1000 Member Posts: 16
    Dawingz,
    I bought an LS demo in Atlanta for 10,000 less MSRP. Mine had more miles (10k) but was perfect otherwise. $32,000 seems too high for a demo even if it is a limited. Maybe if it had 200 miles--Good luck. Chris
  • kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    just a quick note, the 2001 Trooper S does come with the armrests, but not the 2000's
    2001 S? I'm pretty sure it does not, unless it is a fleet vehicle. The Fleet vehicles that are in S trim, come with the Tinted Glass, In-glass antenna, and the arm-rested seats. I'll check to make see if the S does come with armrests though in non-fleet attire.

-mike
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    I had leather installed on my 01 LS Trooper when I bought it. I went to the leather installer and worked with them on what pattern the material would be sewn in. I couldn't stand the look of the aftermarket leather in the S they had on the floor at Jack Miller in Olathe, KS. What resulted was a seat that looks just about like that of a Limited. I chose the color ash (very light grey) which contrasts nicely with the darker grey dash and door panels. I wanted a two tone look and got it this way w/o having to change the colors of the actual seats. I would now consider the seats as comfortable as those of the Limited.
    How much did that run? Might be something I'd do eventually or on my next truck.

-mike
  • kobokokoboko Member Posts: 34
    Mike, I just bought a 2001 S, they've made the armrests standard on all Troopers for 2001. If you have the 2001 Isuzu brochure (the detailed one, not the small brief one) it shows it being standard. Another neat thing is the huge poster size brochures the dealers have in a ring binder which pretty much gives you all the info (standard features, accesories, color, etc) on all Isuzu models. So you can make a good comparison. Ciao!
    I've seen a 99 Luxury Package (similar to current Limited model) here in Detroit area. Private seller, 32k miles, new tires, $18,000.

Local Isuzu dealer has a 2000 LS with moonroof, 14k miles, $19995.

Both of these prices sound very good to me! If I were in the market for a newer Trooper, I'd consider this sort of option instead of buying new. True, you lose the 10/120k powertrain warranty, but you save a lot of money.

I really wish my 98 Troop had a moonroof. :(
    Those are good prices. I wouldn't suspect to find those everywhere.
    yes, I thought they seemed awfully good too. Who knows - maybe the local dealer would go even lower than the advertised $19,995 on the 2000 LS w/moonroof.
  • gtroopgtroop Member Posts: 85
    Sorry about the delay in the answer to your question (I was in Vegas getting married over the weekend). The dealer sold me the leather for $1,000. The one on the floor had a sticker of $1,200 for the leather. I have seen kits for less than that but given the amount of time it would take your better off paying to have this done by the professionals.
This discussion has been closed.