Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• hoopofficialhoopofficial Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the PDF files. The installation instructions I have with the front mud guards that I purchased from a dealer requires a nut rivet gun. Try and find one of those! It is needed to install a threaded nut on the bottom of the guard to secure the third screw. I have yet to install them because I can't find the tool.

Is this third screw really needed? I hate to drill a hole if I don't need too. However, I want the guard to look right.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    That's the 3rd screw I was referring to in the front install. So far, the guard is sturdy w/o that screw.

With or without that screw, I think the Mazda guards don't fit as snug as I'm use to. The ones on my Outback are very flush, whereas the Mazda ones don't fit as snug to the body. But, they seem sturdy so far. I will watch 'em to make sure that they don't marr the paint.

-Brian
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I guess you would be right. Can't in good conscience shop from a vendor in such a small state.

However, according to the weather maps on the tele, I could take the van over on a ferry... (reqcon)
  • sd1228sd1228 Member Posts: 46
    We are getting 22 MPG on our 2002 ES.
    It has so far about 1400 miles.
    Most of the driving is in city with AC on.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Small state? I'm still lurking JAVA...
    Just a little frog stranglin' rain down here - only had 10" in a 12 hour period. Cattle barely got their feet wet....
    So *there* you are Bob! I was trying to flush you out, but didn't mean to send so much rain your direction. GPS on the weather machine must be off. I was aiming for S.Florida. ;)
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    That's what summer is all about in sFL, even without any help from the Alaskan weather machine! BTW, the new Dunlop sp4000's on the MPV really tame the rain - I'd say just as well as the X-Ones.
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Thanks for the couple responses.
    That mileage isn't bad for a 200HP engine in a minivan (in town w/AC on).
    The HL suv I was looking at before were in the 20mpg range...and my current DC get's about 20 consistently and that's an old 3.3 160HP engine.

Another note: Anyone heard if the 2003's will have a compass/temp built into the overhead console like Chrylers got? The mirror deal is ok, but I'd rather not have it tied into the mirror. I did hear that the LX's will have more of the ES's features in '03.
  • pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    Yep, took the van on a extended weekend trip in northern Arizona. The temp/mirror has never adjusted. It's still about 20 degrees off. I managed about 22 miles/gallon on this trip. We had several 6% grades up in the mountains getting into Flagstaff, AZ. Of course it's only my second tank full so I kept the speed irregular as to break in the engine a little more easily. I think we need to look into a fix on the temp/mirror thing. Any one know how to start the process?

P.S. Once in Flagstaff we picked up our friends. We fit 4 adults and 3 kids with car seats along with hiking gear . Everyone fit fine. Put one car seat in the middle of the 3rd row with two women on each side. They said they had plenty of room.
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Somehow I found enough time this weekend to install the oem rear spoiler that I bought from mazdastuff.com. I wanted one ever since I saw another MPV with it, but I didn't think it'd look that good on my humble looking LX. Well, after I picked up those 16" eom alloys, I knew the time was right for the spoiler! And I wasn't wrong - the MPV looks better and sportier than ever!

Zoom-Zoom!
  • basurfbasurf Member Posts: 42
    It is pretty much lame...mine always reads way over what the temp really is even after long highway drives. I am talking like 20 degrees over. It would be interesting to have the docs on the auto-dim mirror itself because it appears that you can adjust the reading. If anyone can supply us with that...sure would appreciate it.

Other than that the auto-dim mirror is fine and no problems after dealer install.
    That's it, I'm bailing out of the mirror. Too much negative feedback. I appreciate everyone's input. Should be interesting negotiating this with the dealer.

I put on the mudguards and bug guard yesterday. The back mudguards are a poor fit. I monkeyed around with them for a good hour and couldn't get them to fit snugly against the body panel. They aren't going anywhere but it is just irritating me the way they look. There is a gap, especially towards the top. I agree with Subearu, other vehicles, including my Altima and the Outback I just traded in, have much better fitting guards. The front guards look fine. I put the third (bottom) screw in. Actually, I just put in an aluminum sheet metal screw with some putty (to prevent rust).
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    I was having the same thought as Basurf. Is there a way you can adjust the temperature reading (which I guess you could do mentally if nothing else!). If it is always about twenty degrees high, that would suggest it is accurate, but just not properly calibrated. Be interesting to see if the difference remains the same in hot and cold weather.

Reminds me of the old days when you could get a little adhesive backed dial thermometer to stick on your driver side mirror. It was pretty accurate, as long as the sun wasn't baking it. dan
  • buzzhdbuzzhd Member Posts: 39
    Any noticed that? I love this package, so if you select LX, then you have no option to get it. Weird, isn't?
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Okay, it is time to go on about the most annoying things about my 01 MPV,but first the mileage. 900 mile trip,2 people,mostly highway in New England with the air on, 23 mpg.
    There are many good points about the MPV but that would take too long and not be as much fun to talk about. On the negative side however...

That damn engine gets on my nerves whenever I am merging onto a highway and want some extra zip, or when going up a hill and there is nothing left to give. Also, it revs too high and that can also drive you a bit nuts after 10 hours behind the wheel. And to think this was all because Mazda was to cheap to put a properly sized engine in it.They did such a nice job with this van and then go and mess around with perhaps the most important single item in it.
    The Resale value when compared to other vehicles. Yes, I got a good deal when purchased new,but I will pay when it comes time to sell; and part of this is due to the engine size.
    Did I mention that someone forgot to install a passenger side power lock switch on my MPV.
    Holy cow, still?... I'm 3yrs into my 6yr loan on my van ($23k), owe $10k and it books for $15k (private party), so I don't think I'm bad off or taking it in the boxers. I can imagine that I'd be even better off if I'd had opted for a shorter-term loan.

If I bought a different van, I'd still owe $15k on an Ody that's worth $20k (same $5k net but paying $80/mth more), or I'd owe $12k on a comparable DC van that's worth $14k. I would've been worrying about lemony-scented transmissions in either case.

Where is this resale downside again? I haven't seen any numbers to support this. Has anyone that traded a 2000 MPV taken a bad hit when trading/selling their van?
  • gampagampa Member Posts: 78
    Just got back from trip out to the mid west, almost all turnpike, and this is what my mileage was... remember now the car only had 201 miles to start... and I kind of babied it for the brake in period

On the first leg, about 95% higway, 5% city I got 24.5 mpg which is what was expected... on the way back I averaged 27.5 mpg. Hopefully after the engine gets some miles it and loosens up, I can reach the 30 mpg range.

Also the engine was quiet and smooth... but the seat needs some lumbar support... and at 65 mph my rpm's were 2000.
  • docablasdocablas Member Posts: 9
    looking at the mazda page for next years mpv, i too was surprised to see that the security package was dropped. i think it's a step backwards given that vans are basically family movers, and people in this segment want the most security features (side airbags, traction control etc) that they can get. unless these become standard, it may be a bad marketing move.

hopefully they wil shave a few inches of the shift lever too, and provide for stronger upholstery for the third row. in the stow-away position, my kid's stroller already wore out a spot in less than 2 days.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Wow! If you can break 30, you'll be my hero.
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    Just got back from a 2.1K mile trip to the White Mts. and the ME coast and got 24.89 MPG (02 MPV).

Regards

OldStyle
    Wow, I think 27 is just amazing! Wtg Gampa!
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Rutger,

All I can suggest is that you take your lumps and trade it in for a 2002 or later. I kind of feel sorry for those who brought in to the MPV before the addition of 3.0 engine (big improvement), Mazda should have known. But I think what we're talking about may be a problem only those who drive around the Northeast corridor will understand. :-)

I'll report on gas mileage after I get a few more miles on the odometer.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Don't feel sorry for me! My Wife and I are happy with our 01 and don't regret our purchase.

Rutger3, You story about resale, no power, Mazda being cheap etc....is very old and tiresome. Sorry you don't like your van, maybe you should have bought the Highlander.

Sorry to be blunt, I'm not sunshine and lollipops today. Some nimrod hit skipped my Protege today in my work's parking lot. Not much damage, left front fender above the wheelwell. My Protege is 2 weeks from being 1 year old and was mark free, not one scratch, rock chip or doording. Just hope my body shop matches my Mill red color.

Pjd58
    Scanner: do you think the Mazda dealer where I bought my 01 would give me a good trade?

pjd58: sorry about your Protege getting nicked up,that's beat. I'm sure that's the main reason you are upset with my comments because I would find it hard to believe anyone could grow tiresome of my old and tired opinions.I am impressed that you remembered the Highlander as my other vehicle of choice. BTW, haven't seen many HL's on the road and the Toyota guys are now ready to deal. Those crazy dealers.

I was just about to start my always interesting thoughts on the Odyssey, unless of course anyone has objections.
  • sillyappasillyappa Member Posts: 9
    Our 4-month old ES got hit a week ago. It was a 3-car pile up, with my wife stopped at a red light and the two cars behind her doing the domino crunch. My wife was fine, but the lady driving the middle car was taken away by paramedics with neck and back injuries. Our ES fared well too, as the only damage I see is the bumper. I have to take it to the dealer as soon as the other guy's insurance company gives the go ahead. Oh well, I think it was all caused by the fact that I just waxed it the week before!
    I'm not trying to give you grief, just want you to consider all of the positives attributes of the MPV. When you find the perfect car let me know. Only my Wife is Perfect and she always reminds me;) You can't be all the bad, my Sister lives in NJ also(Bergen Co):).

In the scheme of things, having a car with a fender bender, is small potatoes, as long as there are no injuries. My neighbor's brother was murdered Monday afternoon, shot 4 times by a deranged co-worker.

Pjd58
    Goodnight all.
  • liz2001liz2001 Member Posts: 3
    My husband and I are looking at 2002 ES. A local dealer is offering invoice price with Mazda financing (0.0% apr for 48 months, nothing due until Jan. 2003). Seems good to me but my honey points out this is essentially a one-year old car as 2003 due out any time now. Thinks we can hold out a few months and get a better price. We're in no huge hurry but my station wagon is getting smaller and smaller with every car pool I run. Do you "pros" have any thoughts on this price? Thanks.
    Pretty much what they are going for. It is what allot of people are paying for a new 2002. I believe the 2003 will have a higher invoice price and it is unlikely they will discount significantly until the 2003 buzz wears off. I guess it depends how long you want to wait. If you can find a low 48 month interest rate, you may want to take the $2000 cash back. That is, tell the dealer you want invoice - $2000. Some folks are getting that deal. I didn't, it depends on your location. I took the 0% and paid $300 over invoice for a loaded ES in Midnight Blue Mica. Good Luck and don't give in to the dealer. Stay firm.
  • docablasdocablas Member Posts: 9
    I went through the same process, just having gotten an lx a few days back. a couple of things made me decide to buy, but getting the vehicle for below invoice (with incentives)was a big factor. the 02 model year sold pretty well (with limited inventories left in local dealerships) and i agree with hoopofficial that you will have to pay above invoice for the 03 my. also, since i got the lx, the security package was a must for me. if you can wait it out till early to mid '03, maybe the prices will be lower. either way you'll end up with a good (if not great) van.

safe driving.
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    **A local dealer is offering invoice price with Mazda financing (0.0% apr for 48 months, nothing due until Jan. 2003).**
    Actually, this is nationwide. Local dealers, distant dealers, and those in between all have the same offer. If you can't find what you want at this dealer, you can shop elsewhere and get the same terms.

I saw an article in the (8/22) Wall Street Journal that DaimlerChrysler was going to raise prices on 2003s to make up for the deep discounts (rebates and low interest rates, IIRC) they have been offering over the past few months. Not certain that every automaker will follow this, but it is an indication.

My guess is that you will be able to get better value (more vehicle per dollar spent, if you will) buying an 'almost one year old' MPV (with no miles on it) with current interest rates/rebates now, than you will waiting a few weeks/months to buy a 2003. We bought our 2001just about a year ago and I haven't regretted it.

Whatever course you chose to follow, hope it works out well for you. Keep us posted. dan
  • mikecomikeco Member Posts: 17
    My new MPV is 1 month old and has 660 miles now.
    From a few days ago, sulfur smell started burst out once I open the door after the car stopped after a not long driving. Is there a conclusion of where does it come from? Could it be gone after a period of time?
    Another problem of my new MPV is the AM/FM radio.
    The volume of all AM stations are much lower than any station of FM band(It sounds to me that the FM volume is about 5 times stronger). I don't think this is a signal problem. Does anybody has the same experience? Should it be fixed under warrenty coverage?
  • carbuyergcarbuyerg Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking of buying an MPV new 2002, but I have two concerns.

1) I am worried how it handles in bad weather. I just moved to Denver and I have heard from minivan owners that their cars don't handle well and slip on hill in bad weather. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I am thinking about an MPV or an Outback. Safety and handling are important for my wife.

2) I read in consumer's report that the bumpers were very fragile and that the car sustained expensive damage in their 3 mph and 5 mph crash tests. Has this problem been fiuxed in the 2002 model?

Concerned Car Buyer
    1) It's hard to beat a subie in the snow. There is no comparison between a FWD minivan and an AWD wagon. However, certain people on this board live in the frozen north and seem to get by very well on snow tires.

2) The bumper issue only affected the very early production 2000 MPVs. Mazda even did a Special Service Program to fix it, but many organizations had already done their testing so the vehicles were branded.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    certain people on this board live in the frozen north

Javadoc must be out filling the back of his MPV with halibut ;-)

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I would agree with Maltb, the Outback should handle much better than the MPV. I just traded in an Outback which was phenominal in the snow. My wife loved everything about it. However, the back seat with two car seats had no room for a third adult. Hence the MPV. I am interested to see how it handles in the snow. However, I am bracing myself for the wife's complaints. FWD can't compete to an AWD vehicle. No way.
  • rc168rc168 Member Posts: 12
    Just came back from the dealer with our Sand ES. Rich swapped and held the baby in the lot for three weeks until I finally got my bonus check.

It will be for DW to drive kids around, but figure if I run chores as ordered, I might get to drive it once in a while.

As MPV, especially ES, are in short supply in New England, I hope and think that this is a solid vehicle to go places in inclement weather.

Sorry Steve, but if you live in Southern New England, it will do you good to drop Rich a note first.

What a van, it is worth waiting for...
    Quote from Steve_HOST:
    Javadoc must be out filling the back of his MPV with halibut ;-)

No, he's playing "Java, the Tool Man" this week. ;)

And my astute So.Cal neighbor is correct. A Subaru Outback will smoke an MPV (or any fwd vehicle) in the snow, when the going gets tough. If I lived in Denver, I'd be purchasing a separate set of snow tires for the winter and keep the Dunlops for the dry months of the year.

We get a bit of snow here. I think our biggest day was 39" last winter, or something close. Haven't gotten the MPV stuck once in three winters here, and my darling wife has taken the van out in some pretty nasty stuff, while I've stayed home b/c my sedan won't get out of the driveway due to low ground clearance. Having TCS would help, but just about nothing is going to beat awd.

Hey, here's a concept... offer awd on the MPV!!! :)
  • owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    Mine does the same thing. I think it is a design fault of the radio. The manufacturer should have balanced the sound levels between the AM and FM bands.

RBB
    It's a feature, not a bug. Loud for FM music, soft when you switch to AM so when Rush, Imus, Hightower, et. al. come on, you won't bust your eardrums. Those Mazda engineers don't miss a trick!

Steve
    Host
  • tbcreativetbcreative Member Posts: 357
    Rich, sorry I was out of town for a bit, so I didn't see your reply. Here's the post again:

"I just have one more question about your reply from a week ago about the GFX colors. When you say the GFX comes in any color choice, do you mean you can get the ground effects in any color, but the rest of the vehicle is limited to the sparce color palette, or are you saying that if you get the GFX package, you can have the whole van in any color? I'm sure it's the former, but that still seems a little strange. Why would Mazda allow someone to get one in, say Midnight Blue Mica, with red ground effects?

If it was the latter, and we could get an MPV in Millenium Red, that would be great, but I don't like the GFX package as much, especially with that awful silver insert.

It's really disappointing that Mazda wouldn't offer the MPV in some kind of red. There was a picture of a one-off MPV that Mazda Speed put together for the launch of the 2002s in Truckin' Magazine that looked REALLY SHARP in Millenium Red.

I wouldn't mind so much about the lack of more color choices, because I like the Black and Midnight Blue Mica, but my wife is really bummed about it. She enjoys having a sporty red car, and really likes how the Chrysler/Dodge vans look in red. I think we would have a 2002 MPV in our garage right now, especially with the incentives going on, if Mazda would have wised up and done the right thing.

Why would they tease consumers with the one-off custom MPV in a beautiful red anyway?! That's just torture..."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    In reply to an earlier post about Highlanders compared to MPV's; I too have not seen many Highlanders on the roadways in MN. nor in WI....but have seen a few MPV's around..mostly silver colored. I had actually decided on an HL but changed my mind to the MPV because of space and the rear hatch opening. That HL is just too small at the backend opening and costs more than the MPV. I'm going from an DC to an MPV...knowing that the MPV is narrower than the DC's, but I like the dash layout, sound of the stereo system (and cd changer) and the other features the MPV has including the sportier handling and good acceleration (now).
    Is it true that, with the 4 season package, I should be able to tow 3K lbs. with no problem??
    Thanks.
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Lucky me, I have both. :-)

Tccmn & Rutger

Plus I came from a DC that was problem free. True, the MPV's hatch opening is bigger than the HL, but at the same time its also smaller than the DC. On resale (and I could care less) the HL is the clear winner, but then again the HL cost me more to insure. According to KBB figures, I've taken approximately a $2,500 hit on my HL over the past year. On the MPV, I guestimate I've taken a $4,000 hit when I drove it off the lot. Thus, Rutger, I would expect your dealer to give you market value as a trade. The MPV is a cool minivan, but the HL is waaay cool minivan disguised as an SUV. :-) One plus for me is the HL can seat 5 passengers plus gear, but the MPV can really only seat 4 with gear, as the MPV's seating arrangement is a disadvantage for me. I think the MPV really shines in the low $20K market, but begins to lose its appeal around the mid $20K mark. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. I see plenty of both in my neck of the woods.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    the GFX package will be available with all exterior colors.
    Did someone mention resale. What a great topic. I don't know why there isn't a meaningful comparison of average purchase price/trade-in price after 1-5 years by vehicle. This would be great to copare the total cost of ownership between different vehicles. Of course when it comes to buying a new car most people only look at the purchase price and monthly payment and maybe the interest rate. The savy buyer knows that you also need to factor in resale value,repair cost, maintenance cost,even gas cost.Afterall what good is a low purchase price if you need to put thousands into maintenance/repair, or you 'lose' thousands on resale. The way the stock market has gone the last couple years,any advantage you gain is good, it is afterall your money; and most(but not all) people trade in their vehicles after 2-5 years. BTW, I still cannot believe the used values of the Odyssey, absolutely amazing. Also BTW, my MPV has been very nice.
    I like the way you think ;-)

True Cost to Own

Steve

Host

Well, I guess I don't like the feature then. I can hardly hear it after I switch the band to AM from FM where I set for a normal volume.

Thanks for your comments anyway.
    I keep reading about the GFX package. Does anyone have a picture of a MPV that has it on? Just curious. Thanks.
    Maybe a useful tool for some, but not for me. Other factors such as styling, ride(Fun factor),interior and peace of mind are more important to me. I know made the right choice from the overall FEEL of the van. True cost to own is great for comparisons, but would be way down the list in helping me make my final decision.

Worrying about resale after you already purchased your car is a moot point. I'd rather have a great riding MPV, than a box of bolts Hproduct knowing my resale is higher.

Pjd58