Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Mikeco, chances are your dealer isn't going to be much help diagnosing anything. I'd try calling one or two aftermarket car radio shops and see if anyone has any ideas on a fix. Then I'd go to the dealer for help (lots of dealers apparently farm out this kind of work, assuming they don't just swap out radios).

I understand your point about TCO, Pjd58, but it may be a swing factor if you've narrowed your choices down to two or three models. And if you drive them forever, you really don't have to worry about depreciation.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    This is a tough one....The 2002 MPV should have the best overall re-sale of any previous MPV. Simply because it is selling very well.
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Sales:

Even though MPV sales were strong for the month of July, annual sales still rank dead last, even below the lowly Kia and orphaned Quest/Villager.

http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svvan.asp

Resale:

In my opinion, there just isn't much demand any longer for "mini" minivans. Hybrids like the Highlander, Vue, Astek, etc are the new breed of "mini" minivan.

TCO:

Using Edmunds TCO, I noticed a similarly equipped MPV, DC, HL, and Big-O all had a similar ownership cost over 5 years between $0.46 and $0.47 per mile. This jives with my real world experience that in the end everyone pays about the same one way or another.

My real world TCO for my 4 yr. old van is ~.32 a mile (assuming I sold it today). I'm either doing pretty good, or my math is way off (the latter is a distinct possibility, LOL).

Steve
    Host
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    change the spuds, er, batteries in your calculator there Steve! :)

Not having really messed w/ TCO much, is it figured off of MSRP or Edmunds' TMV? I know it'd make a world of difference which method were used.

Sniff... two more days of warranty on the beloved Mochavan! 28k miles and she's going strong! I have to repair some door dings, but what's life w/o its little challenges, right?
    Oh sure, make me go look stuff up :-)

"The Purchase Price Total, is the sum of a vehicle's True Market Value price (another car-buying tool from Edmunds), typically equipped options, destination charge, base tax for the state and any applicable luxury/gas-guzzler taxes."

Note that manufacturer to consumer incentives aren't figured into our TMV (afaik).

Hopefully the next version or two of TCO will let you put your own "real" numbers into the calculator.

2 more days, eh? Welcome to my world then - I may still have a rust warranty, but that'd be about it!

Steve
    Host
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    I know this is not a link for this comparison, but my earlier post about space and the size of vehicles still stands. I play in a band and have lot's of equipment. I took an HL home to scope it out and found that the space was there, it was just not as usable as a minivan - DC or MPV. For some reason, the shallow floor on the SUV's and how the seats fold forward leaving that dead space between the front seats and back seats down - vs. the lower level on the vans is not conducive to hauling bigger pieces of stuff. You also have to lift higher to load an SUV (HL), and again, the opening is smaller, the floor is higher/closer to the ceiling for stacking stuff.
    My point is that the mini's are great cargo AND people haulers compared to (specifically) the HL with it's $30K basic price. Plus the fact of a better stereo system in the MPV than the base HL/non LTD. I have a 95 DC now and know the new ones are wider than the MPV, but darn, that MPV is a sweet smaller and sportier feeling rig compared to the newer DC's...decisions decisions...it's all about money too. That 200HP engine is a kick to kick in traffic on a test drive I did on a lighter vehicle than the DC or HL.
    PS: I keep my vehicles for 8 years with high mileage, so trade-in values are nill for me anyway...the thing has just got to last for me. I think Toyota is getting over-rated too. My 99 Camry is not the same unit my 89 was in quality and sturdiness.
    Thanks for comments and information you've given so far.
    Tccmn,

I agree with every single word of your message except the part about the radio being better in the MPV (keep in mind I have a base LX though). Plus I paid $500 over invoice for my HL, and my out the door price was nowhere near $30K. Just a tad over $25K for similar options and then some. Exactly what model MPV are you looking to buy? The only reason I ever saw not to buy the MPV was the 2.5L motor, and that's no longer an issue. Keep in mind you can always buy both. :-)

BTW, I didn't understand what you meant by, "That 200HP engine is a kick to kick in traffic on a test drive I did on a lighter vehicle than the DC or HL." Was there a typo?
    My bet is Steve is right, and Edmunds' is wrong. At least Edmunds' is consistently inconsistent. ;-)
  • mefoghornmefoghorn Member Posts: 12
    We just completed an 1800 mile trip, Dallas to Northern New Mexico & back in the new MPV and was pleased with everything. The cruise control worked great - none of the problems I have read about. The handling was absolutely car-like making the mountain S-curves actually fun. Road feel through the steering wheel is exceptional. I did smell the catalytic converter(rotten eggs) one time. Mileage on the way home was 25 mpg! I guess it was downhill. But with the 20 gal. tank we kept on rollin - seemed like forever on one tank. Took seven adults to dinner one night with no problems. Kids love the easy-to-open sliding doors. Decent ground clearance came in handy on some mountain roads and light off-road.
    Scanner, heh, actually I found I had been underestimating my depreciation in my spreadsheet (forgot to update it from last years number), so my TCO per mile is about .04 a mile higher than I thought it was.

Tccmn1, nice post. I've a good mind to link it to the I Don't Like SUVs, Why Do You discussion :-). People used to brag highly about the Caravan sound systems, but I'm a fan of the (perhaps soon to be extinct in North America) smaller minivans. If you could see the 6 foot long scrape I put in my van, you'd understand why I don't want a bigger one!

Steve
    Host
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Way back in post #3878 I posted a link to our 2000 MPV, which has the GFX. To save you the time in scrolling back that far (or to keep you from looking for the magic box on this page that lets you go directly to a certain post), I'll re-post the link.

I've noticed over the years that ours is one of the few MPVs that has both GFX and the roof rack. The MPVs I've seen with GFX but not the roof rack just don't look right. I don't know why.

I came home from work one day last week and saw an amazing sight--the 2nd MPV in our neighborhood. It's been almost 3 years since we bought ours, and finally someone else on the street got smart. :)

It's a beautiful blue 2002, and it looks a whole bunch like the one in post #3881.

<note for the host>
    After writing this post, I put 3881 into the magic box to make sure I got the post # correct. When I did, it took me to post #3733. Can you please pass this on to the Tech Gods at Edmunds? Thanks!
  • tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Yeah, my post got a little jumbled up.
    What I meant is that the MPV is a lighter vehicle with that new 200HP engine...and that it get's up and goes real nice now. The HL has the 220HP, but is heavier and, I think, the mileage on the MPV is better than the HL overall...but I may be wrong.
    The radio deal on the HL base units has been discussed on their thread a lot. People have been describing different methods to boost the mid-range by holding in one of the knobs for 10 seconds..or something like that.
    I have listened to the HL base unit on a test drive and thought the radio just sounded 'cloudy' compared to the crisp clearer sound in an ES MPV I drove. My old DC has an INFINITY unit and speakers in it..which at the time was pretty cool in sound....maybe I'm use to that.

Actually, both dashboards (HL and MPV) look similar regarding the radio positioning and the knobs for heat, etc. in the center section. Both are easy to reach and understand. I wish Mazda would shorten or bend that darn shifter lever out of the way though.

Unless you get a base 4 cylinder HL, I sure couldn't muster a deal for less than $28K plus tax, license, shipping on a V6 base HL. This was $500 over invoice earlier in the summer. Maybe the local dealers in the TC's are gouging us...?
    I see more of the HL's on the Toy lots now than earlier in the summer...and I really don't see that many at all on the roads around here. More MPV's for sure. But that's why they sell all these models, because we all have our favs.
    Thanks again, TC
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Here's that post, in case anyone doesn't want to futz with the post search: subearu Jul 26, 2002 8:05am

-Brian
  • hoopofficialhoopofficial Member Posts: 21
    Thanks a bunch. I must have missed the original post. I like the looks. It really finishes the van off. My 2002 Midnight Blue was not available with the GFX. Definelty, my loss. I really like the overall look.

I hear the GFX option will be available in Midnight blue next year. Does anyone know if it can be purchased as an add-on for previous years? Thanks for the input.
    Evaddave, I'll let Pat explain it:

pat "Lost in the Town Hall? Ask the Sedans Host for directions!" Nov 13, 2001 4:49pm

Hope this helps,

Steve
    Host
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Tell me about it!
    I pull into a small parking lot 40 miles north of town in the middle of the piney woods for a soccer tournament last weekend and park between TWO MPV's...but I had the only red one!!

Java: Yeah, about 250 miles and I turn the magic 30K also - should be about Thursday I think - maybe tomorrow...depends where soccer practice is.. :))
    Kinda upsetting I never took advantage of the warranty. I didn't think they were going to replace my SMALL ashtray so I never tried ..the only thing I could complain about.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    I have read a similar post about getting the GFX package to add to an MPV but it is about 3x's the cost compared to getting it installed at the factory ($345 manuf installed and close to $1000 to order the parts separately). The "aftermarket" cost does not include the price to have them installed (unless you do it yourself).
  • stevenyaelstevenyael Member Posts: 1
    I am debating about whether to lease a 2000 MPV ES (20,000 miles) for around $315/month, or a brand new 2002 MPV LX for around $380/month. Any advice?
    Thanks, Steve!

It makes sense, but I think the folks at web crossings could fix it.

On the other hand, now I know that about 150 posts have been deleted in this topic. :)
    Steve,

I think I've got it! Lets say the "absolute number" is a set number like "MSRP." And lets say the "relative number" is a variable like "sale price." Then if Edmunds' purchased their software from Honda, both numbers would be equal and the Go To function would work?
    Evaddave,

Better make that soon to be 151 post. ;-)
    I remember when the previous software "Go To" feature did work. You could also search for key words, and hide messages. Edmunds' really took a step backwards with this new software. What happened, Steve?
    Stevenyael,

Always thought the purpose of a lease was to drive new. Depending on how many years you are talking about, I think I'd go for the new 2002 LX.
    Tccmn,

Both vehicles weigh about the same and get about the same gas mileage. I have the 3.0L V6 in the HL, and I bought it over a year ago, about 3 months after it was introduced.
    Most of those 150 deleted posts were ads for chats (ie, spam) that I posted and then removed after the chat ;-)

The old software couldn't keep up with the posts and WebX was the best option available that allowed us to keep the conversation style format. Those of you used to threaded discussions may be surprised to learn that some of us like it this way! Oh well.

No plans to bring back hidden posts, but some progress was being made on the search tool when the server started messing up with a new flavor of the software.

Our Software! Your Questions Answered... may actually answer more of your questions.

Steve
    Host
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    Definitely go for the new car never lease a used car it will be out of warranty and you do not own it so you are paying to fix someone else's car.
  • reformersreformers Member Posts: 3
    Purchased 2002 MPV ES three weeks ago. Really enjoying it. Notice that Mazda calls for 5W-20 (!) motor oil. I have been checking around for a synthetic manufacturer that makes 5W-20 and can't find one. M1 says they're going to have it available January 2003. Anyone know of any oil manufacturers that make 5W-20 motor oil? (Note--Redline does and specifies that it's for "racing" applications. Hardly what my wife had in mind when she asked that we purchase the MPV!) Thanks
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    There is a TSB saying that you can use either 5W-20 or 5W-30 in 2000-2002 MPVs: http://www.mpvclub.com/index.php?action=showtsb;TsbNo=43

However it does say that "5W-20 will provide the lowest emissions and highest fuel economy".

• bob_mariabob_maria Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone,

After lurking & reading in this board, I finally
    took a plunge and purchased a white 02 MPV LX
    last Sat 8/24/02 on my 2.5 yrs son birth day.

I like to thank everone who contributes
    to this board, esp, Arthur, who's
    kind enough to respond to my questions

I should have picked a different color since
    white color gets dirty pretty quick, but my
    son wants a white ambulance. So got his wish. :)
    I just hope that he grows up faster to
    wash his white ambulance.

Here my deal at MAGNUSSEN'S Fremont Mazda.
    All negotiation was done over email&phone.
    The Internet sale mgr is: Bruce Marinance

LX + Security pkg+ Dual AC+ Roof rack + Rear
    step plate + Floor mat.

22,755 Invoice
    -200 Dealer discount
    +tax+license + doc fees
    -2000 Mazda rebate
    ---------
    22,660.50 Out the door price
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Congrats, sounds like a very good deal. The MPV looks sharp in white, also not a very common color.

Many happy, safe miles zooming!

Pjd58
    Where's Java - doesn't he have some free time on his hands for mods these days?

Outrageous MPV

Steve

Host

• kczmudzinkczmudzin Member Posts: 39
    I buy my own 5W-30 M1 and take it to the dealer. Never has there been any hesitation on the part of the dealer to use it with Mazda's filter. Thanks to Alex's post now I know why.

BTW, I change every 5k mi or 4 mos.

--kcz
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    What's that? I think Java's using his free time building fine cabinetry or something like that. Besides, he wants the twin-turbo V8 Audi anyway. Nice link Steve ... didn't lock my computer up or anything :)
    Hahaha, well, you've gotta watch out for his links sometimes, Beach.

That's one trick MPV! I just got a new Crutchfield catalog yesterday... Bazooka's marketing an 'NOS Bazooka Subwoofer.' It's basically a Bazooka amplified sub in a fake NOS tube. Looks pretty authentic! Maybe you need one for the Quillagerst, Steve! ;)

Yes, I'm busy being Norm Avery these days. I just ordered a quart of color code 18J paint and some clear, to take care of the door dings on the van (content). I'm planning on (finally) doing a writeup on fixing the dings.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Reminds me years ago when I lived in a crowded apartment complex. Parking was horrible as the spots were not much wider than a motorcycle. I mentioned to several people at the pool one day that if I saw a new ding on my car I carried a small hammer and just rapped the car nearest to mine.
    Of course I never did that but it was fun to watch everyone avoiding my car llike the plague.

JAVA: If you have never seen a swimming pool up there in artic land let me know & I'll send a picture.. :))
    OMG, bob! That's too funny! No, I have a heated pool in my backyard. See? heated pool

Of course, it's raining today...

oh, content... Sorry, gotz none!

• danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Hey Java. I see from your 'heated pool picture' that the Java-munchkins can launch themselves off the Java-swings and land (SPLASH) right in that heated Java-pool!!! Course you have to take the Java-cover off first. Wow. I didn't know Alaska had trees or green grass. JK. ;<) Content--can the pool fit in the Mochavan making it a Mobile Pool Vehicle?
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Didn't know our California redwood made it all the way up to alaska. Maybe I need to post a picture of my '02 LX driving thru a redwood forest (content) so u can sense the roots of it all.

once
  • rc168rc168 Member Posts: 12
    Java,

NICE lawn. What do you feed it with? Fish powder?

OK, back to content...Ahhhh, are there aftermarket floor mats that would cover the whole area (no gap) on the first row. Try to get ready for the snow season. I heard that hoopofficial has gotten a pretty decent set somewhere.
  • wxwizwxwiz Member Posts: 3
    Purchased 2002 MPV ES last week for $200 under invoice and took the $2000. I would say I love to drive it but my wife who originally was reluctant to get the Mazda over the Odyessey now will not let me touch it. Oh well. I am waiting for the M6 anyway. My question is how sensitive is the immobilizer key. The instruction manual has a list a page long of what you cannot do with it including putting the key thru a metal ring or letting it touch other keys. Does anyone know exactly how sensitive the key is or has had problems with it? Does anyone else have it on their key chain? I have asked other people at work about the system and those that have it or one similar to it on other makes have no idea either. Any experts around.
    Robert, I purchased a number of deep-channeled rubber mats at Costco a ways back. I've seen them at Walmart as well. I've got a long mat going across in front of the second row seats, and a big square one that provides double duty, either covering under the third row seats or the cargo area, depending on if that seat is up/down. Stop the 'snow' talk... it's only weeks away for me. ;)a

wxwiz, I've not had a single key-related issue, and believe me, the keys for the MPV get some serious abuse. The dw keeps only the mailbox and her office keys on the ring w/her van keys; I have the spare key on a key ring w/ a ton of other keys, and it works fine. Anyone had a problem w/a key?

Hope that helps!

Oh, and thanks for spreading the love, you clowns!!! And I don't think the munchkins have figured out the aerial entry method...yet. It'll be their last stunt, I'm sure. >;-)
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Have had no problem with the keys. I don't normally carry them unless I am using the van (the remote fob plus keys are just too bulky for my pocket) but otherwise I do nothing special for or to them. I suspect the long list of "don'ts" is more Mazda covering its backside just in case something happens, than a guaranteed "you'll wreck your key" if you should do one of them. dan
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    I've been following this site for a year and a half, and I can't remember a single instance of any one having sensitivity problems with the immobilizer. I carry mine on a ring with the spare key to another car on it, and it goes in my coat pocket with my work keys all day.
    I wouldn't worry over much about it. Seems a pretty secure system.

RJ
  • howdydhowdyd Member Posts: 10
    Bob Maria and anyone else who got MPV below invoice:
    Can you please give me location(city/state/phone#) of dealer willing to sell below invoice a 2002 MPV ES?
    Thanks in advance.
    Howdyd,

I've yet to meet a dealer that wouldn't sell a minivan below invoice (Big-O dealers excluded). They will simply make their profit elsewhere. For example, through financing, by charging you a ridiculous doc fee, low balling you on your trade, extended warranties, or by adding worthless packages/options etc. Just march down to your local Mazda dealer and tell them that you're not going to pay a lot for this MPV! And if all else fails, try the link posted below.

http://www.invoicedealers.com

BTW, has anyone noticed that invoice pricing has risen from ~90% to ~92% of MSRP over the past few years? And we thought we were such shrewd buyers. :-)

• bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    The DW mom and dad were here for holiday, and we had to park the 2002 about 600 yards from a store. I forgot to lock it, and we were almost to the store, and I took out my key fob. My father (inlaw) (sienna owner) who takes great pride in deriding my MPV every chance was quite impressed when the lights blinked and the horn beeped. (So was I...but I couldn't let on.) I just said it was just a small example of the attention to details that Mazda pours on all of their products...
  • altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    Hi, everyone,

Got a quick question...on the ventilation system, does the A/C automatically engage when you select the windshield defogger vents? Does it automatically engage at any other selection, like feet/dash, or just dash?

I haunt the Protege boards and saw there that this is the way the ventilation system works on the current Mazda Protege.

I rented a 2002 MPV at the end of July, but I really can't recall if this is the case. I really HATE when they set up these systems to automatically engage the compressor. Thanks for your replies.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    No, A/C does not automatically engage in whatever settings unless you press the A/C button. However you can't use "RECIRCULATE" mode when choosing windshield setting. Only "FRESH AIR" is in effect... That's the only "override" I'm aware of...