Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Vibe

1515253545557»

Comments

• Chuckles37Chuckles37 Member Posts: 16
    03 Base, 105K, auto.

Recently my Vibe emitted a squeek/chirping moving from a stop with the A/C on. With the AC off there was a less noticable and very slight rumble. At a stop in neutral, there was nothing to hear or feel when reving the engine. When moving at any speed over 10 mph, everything smoothed out and went away. With the engine off, the belt felt tight and belt dressing did nothing.

Dealer said probably belt tensioner, though A/C compressor going bad was the second choice. Anyway replaced the tensioner and belt. All noise and rumble went away..

Tech told me the belt tensioner has a little shock absorber that was failing and with the engine under load moving from a stop allowed the belt to slip.
  • maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    thanks for the report Chuckles. Love the name. I'll keep an eye on my 03 as well.
  • laserbluelaserblue Member Posts: 313
    Pontiac is supposed to have stop the production of all their cars?
    Last week 1 dealer near my place had no Vibes on his lot and today I saw 23 Vibes there, couldn't believe my eyes and also across town another dealer had 3 Vibes last week and tonight 16 Vibes are parked side by side. These are all 2010's.
    Is the 2010 Vibe still in production?
    I was thinking of buying a 2010 Vibe next year (may or june).
    Are these the leftovers or they're still coming out of the manufacture?
    What are my chances of getting one in May or June 2010?
    Your chances of getting one next summer are EXCELLENT. It is called a used car. The Vibe as well as all other Pontiacs are out of production. It takes a while for deliveries to be made. Take advantage of all the people who will be turning in their cars someday in fear of their bumper to bumber warranty expiring and knowing their car is no longer made. The second gen Vibe as a used car will be a great purchase given their values will now plummet. Just don't steal the one I'll be looking for to replace my 03 with ;)
  • stephenhammerstephenhammer Member Posts: 6
    Except for another Pontiac which is for fleet sales, it is my understanding the last Pontiac in production will be the Vibe in which this is the last month of production.
    Cash for clunkers has bee extended, and of course the Pontiac Vibe would qualify. Since the clunkers are likely to be American Cars trade in may be preferred for an America Vehicle (part Toyota). Instead of keeping them on the lot at the assembly plant in Fremount, CA it is my guess best to put them on dealer lots in time for the Cash For Clunkers Program. I have an AWD 2009, which I special ordered, and received over 3,400 dollars off through use of a GM credit card. It is very unlikely you will be able to special order, and I feel it may be difficult to find an AWD. The AWD unlike the front wheel drive models has independent suspension both front an back, and it is the only model which I feel GM produces which compares to a Subaru. The AWD Vibe was reintroduce with the new design in 2009.
    so true. I have the 03 AWD, and recognize the softer ride compared to my 09 1.8 liter front wheel drive. Nonetheless, there have been many more problems with the "Camry Vibe" than with the "Corolla Vibe" and with gas prices likely to skyrocket back up to $4 a gallon in the near future, I'm glad I went with the "Corolla Vibe"
    Why don't all the Vibes come with the same size of tires?
    What are the advantages of getting the 17 inches tires option rather than the 16 inches?
  • houstonmihoustonmi Member Posts: 6
    The 17 and 18 inch wheels look better than the stock 16 inch steel wheels, but the 16 inch wheels result in a better ride because there is a greater distance between the wheels and the road. I read on another board about a guy wishing he'd gotten the 16 inch wheels for this very reason. Fact is, that's why I got them.
    In picking out a tire I bought my to get me from here to there in all conditions.
    Have found the offering of different sizes on my GM vehicles for many years and it is not unique to the Vibe.

Have an 2009 AWD Vibe, via federal law have pressure monitors. So I wanted a tire which would have low noise a yet have a snow rating and get me from one place to another safely, not one which would look great with large fancy looking rims.

The standard steel rims are great for snow. So I put my money into tires instead of rims.

For a snow tire I wanted an all season with the Mountain-Snowflake symbol on it, and since it was for an AWD and snow I wanted it for all four wheels.

Did research on web and found a couple by Nokian Tires of Finland. WR and a WR G2. The WR is has a symmetric tire tread, and the WR and newer design a WR G2 has an asymmetric tread design to lower noise. It should also be noted that the new design on the 2009 Vibe was also a noise lowering design.

Live in New Mexico and found a Big-O dealer who sold them in Colorado. The would had probably had them in stock if my vehicle was a Subaru, but was coming back through an they were ordered from a warehouse in Denver.

The tires have been an excellent match for the AWD Vibe for first snow and gravel.
    The AWD Vibe with these tires claws through snow went over and unploughed pass which four wheel drive pickups were getting over, and safely passes people on snow. Along with the AWD Vibe the WR G2 tires are a well engineered truly an all season product.
    Which engine would you go for in a Vibe and why, the 1.8 L or the 2.4 L?
    I'm going to get the Michelin Primacy MXV4's per Tire Racks and Consumer Reports guidance.
    If you are after fuel efficiency an enjoy driving a standard like I do, and do not mine on the base unit the passenger seat does not fold foreword, I would get the base model of the Vibe if you can find one with the 1.8 standard it would have plenty of acceleration as I recall rated rated basically evenly with my 2.4l AWD.

But if it is and automatic a 2.4l would be a find choice and it is felt would not affect fuel mileage as much. My AWD Vibe has independent suspension in the rear, can be service rurally, and rates well and compares to a Subaru. It should be noted that the 2010 Equinox or the Terrain there standard four cylinder engine gets about the same hp as the 2009 Equinox six cylinder, with about the same fuel economy as a Vibe, but probably not as agile.
  • CapeCodCapeCod Member Posts: 117
    My local Goodyear dealer just replaced my front rotors after turning them just 6 months (6,000miles) ago. Needless to say I was not happy to be what I felt amounted to being double charged. Why the 'turning' if it wasn't going to last more than 6 months!
    I just examined the NEW rotors and was surprised to see that they had a "brushed" look rather than the spiral grind I had seen before. Is this brushed looked (goes in many directions) something new ? Maybe I just never paid attention before? A new car's brakes have the spiral look right???
    BTW $64 a rotor seemed high to me ???
    I've been told that "turning" rotors is practically a thing of the past. Today's rotors appear not to be as thick as in previous years. Several local mechanics have told me this. They simply replace when needed. Turning will not help. That would account for why your "service" only bought you 6 more months.
    My other vehicle is a 2005 Equinox, bought it new.
    One year after I bought it with only 4,800 miles they had to "turn" my my front discs because they were warped and I could feel a vibration when applying the brakes, second year...the same thing with 12,400 miles, third year again with only 19,000 miles.
    On my 4th year they had to change the "discs" with 27,000 milles because they were to thin, couldn't turn them anymore.
    My warranty was over but I fought it out with G.M. telling them that it was abnormal getting those "discs" turn 3 times in 3 yrs and then changing them with a so low mileage.
    I won...didn't pay a cent.

Yes, they still do this procedure.
  • gooddrivergooddriver Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2009 Vibe with 2.4 litter engine. the capacity for oil and filter according to the owners manual is 4.5 quarts. But When I change the oil and the filter and put in 4.5 quarts, the oil level is way up on the dipstick, by about 1/2 inch. I am sure that I do drain the entire oil as I don't jack up the car, and I use a toyota filter. Anyone else had the same experience? I don't want to put less oil in it, but on the other hand not sure why putting the specified amount is over the high mark of the dipstick by about a quart. This has been the case for the past 4 oil changes.
    Several 2009 2.4L Vibe owners on another Vibe board report the same thing. Put in 3.5 quarts, wait a few minutes, and top it off. In the meantime, drain as much as necessary to bring it down to proper level.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Two thoughts:

If you measure before starting the car, the volume of the oil filter is empty, making the oil appear overfilled. That's usually ~ a pint.

1/2" over isn't going to hurt anything; according to click&clack from cartalk, up to a quart overfill "should" be fine. Use the min-to-max distance on your dipstick to see how much you overfilled; i'm sure it's well below a quart.

The danger is the crankshaft churning the oil into a froth, at which point you will lose oil pressure and then the engine shortly thereafter. A little overfill isn't going to make that happen.

-Mathias
  • gooddrivergooddriver Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, Not sure why they would list 4.5 quart capacity when it is less than 4. Most cars these days take less than 4.5 quarts, my 6 Cylander Murano takes 4.2, my 4 cyendar Honda Accord takes 4.3 quarts. So I am surprized that this car takes 4.5. But if I fill it to the top of the high mark, it takes only 3.5 quarts, thats unusual. Can you tell which other Website are you refering to for Vibe forum.
    genvibe
    www.genvibe.com is the board. The message board has Vibe info about anything you want to know.
  • tkelltkell Member Posts: 3
    The sound from my 2003 Pontiac Vibe stereo has really deteriorated. Very little bass response and not much volume. I have replaced the amp under the seat and the stereo with used units. Installed a secondary ground wire to the stereo, tried different speakers but they don’t sound any better. Cleaned every plug connector I can find. Anyone have other ideas?
  • shoe5771shoe5771 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem happen the other night with my headlights both not working. I checked all the fuses and relay switch etc but nothing has worked. I tried the emergency brake and the tail fuse also. i was told it could be the switch in the arm to turn the lights on. What do you think? Thanks for any help.
  • thamster71thamster71 Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have trouble getting the caps replaced? My local dealer and GM now claimed to be unable to find the service bulletin. Were they purged after Pontiac went out of business?
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Member Posts: 4,252
    Hello,
    I am from GM Customer Service. Please email me at socialmedia@gm.com so I can more information from you. Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • arthur13206arthur13206 Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2005 Vibe with the Base 1.8L engine. I have about 1 week left on the used car warranty and the engine light has been coming on. I showed this to the dealer and he said he will have is mechanic take care of it. ODB readings are as follows: P0441, P0453, P0441, P02420. These codes seem to be related to the evaporative emissions system.

I just want some idea of what needs to be done so I will know if the dealers mechanic took care of the whole problem and doesn't leave me with a repair job next month. Any ideas? :mad:
  • miked33miked33 Member Posts: 2
    Might be a little late for this answer, but it is under the passengers seat. Move the seat all the way forward to expose the system and to load cd's
  • miked33miked33 Member Posts: 2
    Nav. screen just decided to 'black' out. I also cannot eject the nav. cd. Radio plays as well as cd's. Power to the nav unit issue??? Any suggestions?
    miked33,

I would encourage you to take your vehicle to your local dealership to have the navigation system looked at. Please keep us posted when the issue has been taken care of.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • periperi Member Posts: 3
    We are a GM family, have bought 3 in the last 18mos new, from the same dealer. Our vibe had the clutch go out last week, and after towing it in, the dealer is saying we owe $1600 because it "had been abused". Our 20 y/o son drives this car, as do my husband and I, he has driven a clutch for over 5 yrs and we have never had a problem with any other clutch. They said the clutch was out and the flywheel overheated because of the clutch and the flywheel cracked. We have 25000 miles on this car and have an extended warranty. It seems it is their word against ours, and we are stuck- if this is how "the new GM works" this will be our last GM car- does anyone have any thoughts on what we need to do here? We feel abandoned by our dealer who says GM will back them up.
  • lubeexpertlubeexpert Member Posts: 16
    I'd say they're just trying to get out of a warranty repair. The burden of proof for the alleged "abuse" is on them. Suggest you contact GM Headquarters & REPORT that dealership!
    peri,

I would like to set up a case with GM Customer Assistance however I am unable to guarantee cost assistance. In order to start the process I will your complete contact information (including full name, mailing address and phone number), VIN, current mileage and the involved dealership sent to me in an email. Also, could you please provide a brief description of the problems you are experiencing?

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • lindad65lindad65 Member Posts: 1
    LOL! I LOVE my Vibe. My husband and my 15 year old son accompanied me yard saleing one Saturday. We bought my husband a bike and 3 bar stools. All of which fit in the car with us. my son DID ride home with the front wheel of the bike in his face, but it did fit. I like to call my car a grocery getter with style.
  • grb346grb346 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Pontiac Vibe. Tonight both headlights went out. I checked the parking brake (it is all the way down), in the fuse box under the drivers side I checked the tail fuse and it is ok. Under the hood I checked both headlight fuses plus the relay and they both seem to be ok. The high beams work fine and when I turn the nob for the lights it is tights and clicks. Any ideas?
  • biglabdogsbiglabdogs Member Posts: 4
    Did you figure out the problem with the headlights? My 03 vibe just did the same thing.
  • grb346grb346 Member Posts: 2
    Well, believe it or not, BOTH headlights burnt out at the same time. I really didn't think that scenario probable although numerous people urged me to check. I did and they work!
  • biglabdogsbiglabdogs Member Posts: 4
    Mine too. I checked fuse. It was fine. Since I was due for oil change I took it in and asked them to replace bulbs. Sure enough that was it!!
  • electricdesignelectricdesign Member Posts: 681
    edited July 2012
    I am driving an 05 Base Vibe FWD Auto with 1.8L 4 Cyl Toyota engine & drivetrain, that I bought in Feb 2010 with 73K miles on it. It now has 95K miles on it, and it has proven to be the best car that I have ever owned. Several reasons for this, smooth and reliable, good gas mileage (24 around town, 35 on the road), the most exceptional utility vehicle of any vehicle I have ever owned. It drives perfect, ice cold air, peppy performance, low maintainance, high reliability. It fits my needs perfectly. I am almost 65, and have owned all types of vehicles thoughout my life, Fords, Chevys, Dodges, Wagons, Pickup Trucks, SUV's and in the 90's I owned 4 Ford Explorers, a Chevy Blazer, and this Vibe blows them all away as far as utility & reliability & mileage is concerned. I work part time using a lot of equipment, tools and ladders, and it is amazing all that I can carry in the Vibe. I use my Vibe like an SUV, The back seats are folded forward, to create a large cargo space, that can hold up to 11 standard size milk cartons. In the back, I have 10 milk cartons full of tools and equipment, and a 5 gallon bucket that is loaded with Electrical tools that I can carry into the job. Along the sides of the cargo space I store a lot ot stuff like drop cord light, several extension cords, several boxes of stock and parts, small shovel, some wood boards, ropes, chains, bungee cords, rubber boots, raincoats, helmets, toolboxes, ect. Then on the floorboard in front and underneath the rear seats, I store drill bits, saw blades, umbrella, first aid kit, spotlight, etc. Then I have removed the headrest from the front passenger seat and I can slide an 8 foot step ladder in the the rear opening of the flip up rear hatch glass, the 8 foot ladder will slide completely into the Vibe, and then I can slide a 6 foot step ladder on top of the 8 foot ladder and close the back flip up glass. This flip up rear glass has added so much usefulness and utilitiy to this vehicle. Then I use the floor board space in front of the front passenger seat, I place a Wet/Dry Vac (uses a 5 gal plastic bucket) on the front Floorboard, and I place another 5 gal plastic bucket full of HVAC tools in the front of the front passenger seat. In lieu of the 2 step ladders, I can carry a 20' folding extension ladder if I need to get on Rooftops. When fully loaded, the Vibe becomes a 1 passenger SUV with amazing capabilities and utility. I have never had the need to try to carry anything on top of the car, because I can carrry so much inside the Vibe! I would never own another vehicle that does not have the flip up rear glass, It is more useful than you can imagine!
    No doubt, this is hands down the most useful vehicle that I have ever owned.
    Good Day,
    E.D. in Sunny Florida
    Anyone have the one second metal on metal screech sound at cold start-up related to the failing timing gear? GM has a bulletin out on this as does Toyota. Mine occurs about once a month and when the car has not been started for two days or on very cold mornings. Suggestions?
    What model year is your Vibe, maxx4m3? I would be happy to check my resources to see if I can help troubleshoot in any way.

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    Thanks Sarah. I have a 2009 Vibe with 1.8 liter engine. I posted a note on the Matrix page as well since they are having the same issues. I originally got the bulletin from Toyota. Once I showed it to my GM dealer, they found the equivalent bulletin. My service writer also said that the camshaft timing gear is also likely to be responsible for the valve tappet I have been experiencing. I have 62,000 miles on the car. Again, I greatly appreciate your interest Sarah.
    Hello maxx4me,

I checked and was unable to find any troubleshooting tips in the resources I have available to me - sorry about that! Are you planning on working with your dealership to resolve this or take an alternative approach? If the former, we're happy to check in with the dealership on your behalf and work with you until this is resolved. Please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, a summary of the situation, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
    I'll send it right now. Sorry; I did not mean to omit the notice/bulletin number:

09-06-01-015