Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Truck Gas Mileage

Comments

• Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    I65 around my way sucks lots of road construction.

Main roads around here are US30, 80/94, route 41
  • Options
    minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    south of East Chicago/Gary, down toward Crown Point. My condolences. No disrespect intended; just wouldn't want to drive there everyday. Spent 38yrs,5mos,& 24 days in Uncle Sam's AF. Came out of Allentown, PA; Mack trucks and steel. Ended up in Denver by choice.
    -- Don
  • Options
    mbwhitleymbwhitley Member Posts: 32
    ALWAYS suck up in Gary/East Chicago. Coming down from SW Michigan, I always used to take 421/43 from Michigan City to W. Lafayette. Then I65 to Indy.

I only ever went through NE Indiana if I HAD to go to Chicago. It's not the traffic, it's the roads!
  • Options
    also throw cline avenue in there. Drive it every day hit speeds of 80-85mph.

Northwest indiana isnt the best place but its home for now.
  • Options
    over those roads is probably/kinda why your gas mileage is lower than mine; at least in the summer. Sitting south of the tip of Lake Michagan, what do you get in the winter?
    -- Don
  • Options
    in autotrac/4 wheel high i get 10.5

Usually right around 12 mixed 4 wheel and 2 wheel
  • Options
    Oxyfuel, high country, autotrac & I was feeling sorry for myself at just a hair over 15. Come, come -- into the light!!
    -- Don
  • Options
    im not complaining didnt buy the truck for mpg if i wanted this id have bought a geo metro or toyota echo (comes with fender flares)
  • Options
    uncommonmanuncommonman Member Posts: 65
    2001 GMC Yukon
    5.3 / 3.73 / 265-70tires / 4X4
    At only 3000 miles we're averaging 16.0 overall (I have logged ALL fuel used), and got 18.6 on a recent 750 mile trip at 65-68 MPH. We're pleased. This is a big, heavy truck which spins the motor way faster than is necessary if you're not towing or hauling a big load. 3.08 gears would work fine for most people and would save a lot of fuel, but it is not available (yet). There's no economy like saving your life, and in case the unexpected happens and you're in an accident, you'll be glad you're in a big heavy truck which "only" gets 16 MPG. If you figure the actual cost of gasoline, it's a very, very minor consideration. We drive 3 miles to work each day, and have friends who bought a Subaru Outback who drive 10 each way and think we bought a gas hog. They use a lot more gas in a month than we do. Just exactly who is the gas hog?? Everything is relative, isn't it??? I repeat--here's no economy like saving your life!!! Happy motoring.
  • Options
    dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    2001 Silverado 1500 LS, ext-cab, Z-71, 5.3L, 3.73 axle. I've had it 7 months now with 5,930 miles on it.
    On a recent 1300 mile round trip drive to Montana, and going over a total of 10 mountain passes (3,000' to 6,400') with A/C on the whole time, I averaged 18.5 mpg. Average speed on the highway was between 75 and 80 mph.
    In the city I consistantly average 16.5 mpg.

Still loving this truck!!!
    -David
  • Options
    I didn't buy my truck for mileage, either; that's what my V-6 Accord coupe is for. But, 12 overall in winter still hurts my head.
    -- Don
  • Options
    swooshmanswooshman Member Posts: 56
    I've recently purchased a tonneau cover for my 94 Z71.. I was wondering, I have a truck cap on the pickup now but would I get better gas milage if I took off the cap and put the soft toneau cover on?? I just put the cap on and it's not an easy feat taking it off again, as I would say most of you know by now.. Anyhow any help would be appreciated...

Also I was wondering if anyone knew the best place to buy a K&N air filter for this truck, I live in Newfoundland so I am limited to Canadian Tire and UAP and those other canadian outlets..

Thanks,
    Swoosh Man
  • Options
    buzsaw8799buzsaw8799 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering buying a used F250 Extended cab 4x4 1995 or so I am wondering what kind of gas mileage a 351 and a 460 would get??????????
  • Options
    alex17alex17 Member Posts: 35
    Mobil 1 Full Synthetic - Change oil every 6000 Miles

19.5 Overall
    Best Ever on Highway 22+

Consistantly 19 - 19.75 in the city
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    16.2 average over 7k miles including all towing.
    20 mpg high- all highway.
    7.3 mpg low, 4x4 Low range towing 5000 lbs in deep sand all week.

Everyone seems to get better mileage. The interesting part is it does not vary that much. Highway is about 17.5 and highway towing is about 14 (without headwinds). Highest tank milage was 515 miles on 30 gals.

Trucks spends a lot of time either towing or off road (sometimes both), but mileage just dosen't get much higher when it is not working.
  • Options
    smallopssmallops Member Posts: 2
    Mileage figures have been tracked over the last 14K miles with religious attention to detail.

50-58 MPH (80% Highway, remaining 20% mixed in town/stop-and-go) - 17.11 MPG using 87 with 15% alcohol blend.

59-69 MPH (94% Highway, remaining 6% mixed in town/stop-and-go) - 17.45 MPG using 87 with 15% alcohol blend.

above 70 (less than one pint of fuel consumed in the last 18 months! Sorry... don't drive this fast.)

Engine/transmission always serviced. In fact, NO major problems with eng/trans over the life of the truck. Tonneau cover, light to no load in the bed, tires 110% inflated always rotated, etc.

What you see for milage is probably the best case senario for this vehicle combination. And, yes, I am a "geezer crusier"...
  • Options
    kyarcherkyarcher Member Posts: 12
    Seems from what I'm seeing here on this forum that the 8.1 w/allie/3.73 gears gets as good of gas mileage as the 6.0 with 4.10

I'm going to get either the 8.1 or the 6.0 so would you reccomend? Won't do much towing or hauling other than a four wheeler.
  • Options
    xbbusterxbbuster Member Posts: 145
    You seem to have done your homework on MPG. With similar driving habits, any opinions on what mileage should be for a '94 Ram 2wd,5.9 tow pkg, and 245-16 tires with 58,000 miles.
  • Options
    pboltspbolts Member Posts: 13
    In 7,000 miles of mixed driving,60% highway & 40% city, I consistently acheived 14.5 mpg.
    My exact truck configuration: 2000 F-250 crew cab
    4x4 SB, 5.4L, 5spd manual, 4:10 LS rearend, burning 87 octane Chevron fuel.
    I recently read an article stating that the 2002 F-250 & F-350 will now come standard with the 6 speed manual transmission.
    I,m really curious just what kind of gas milage that I would have got had I opted for the 6 spd manual instead of the 5 spd.
    My engine tach at 60 mph was about 2300 RPM.
    Does anybody have my configuration of truck with the 6 spd manual?
  • Options
    smallopssmallops Member Posts: 2
    Xxbuster: The long-term Fleet Management statistics for our Ram 1500's suggest that your 5.9 V-8 will get 1.1 MPG less at highway speeds (50 mph and up) and an estimated 0.9 MPG less in city driving situations. (All other factors being equal, of course)

Some further data to help you in arriving at a MPG figure:

My maximum MPG figures (please refer back to my post #117) are the best summer-time, warm weather calculations. My winter-time, cold weather (below 55 degrees) MPG goes down by 1.8 MPG. Note, winters here are very cold and warm-up time for the engine is the big factor.

My tires are the same as yours... 245x16's. My rearend gearing is the std 3.55 ratio.

Finally, for what it is worth, driving at speeds just below 50-55 mph, does NOT improve my MPG!
  • Options
    mpazosmpazos Member Posts: 42
    4L80E auto, 3.42 gears, and 285/75/16 MT Baja MTX tires mounted on Stockton steel wheels.
    Average 17-18 MPG city, 20-22 MPG Highway. Got 14 MPG towing 20 FT Center Console boat, motor, trailer from OH to NC through mountains of WV and VA. This is a truck with 122k on it and drive train (engine, trans, xfer case, driveshafts, diffs, axles) have never needed service. Use Amsoil through out. The downside is diesel costs $1.35 per gal here in NC and regular unleaded is now around $1.20.
  • Options
    txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    Austin to Ft. Worth (actually Denton) over the weekend. 21 going and 19 coming back. 2001 Sierra 1500 X-cab 2wd, 5.3 w /3.42's.
  • Options
    mnicemnice Member Posts: 9
    4.8, 3.73 auto. Recent fishing trip to Canada, 4 guys and bed loaded to tonneau cover. Averaged 19.8 on 1300 mile trip. Only about 200 miles was freeway @ 70 MPH, rest was 2 lane @ 55-60 MPH. PS. The guys in back said they were very comfortable and their snoring proved it.
  • Options
    drumcircledrumcircle Member Posts: 17
    What type of mileage should I expect with a 1998 5.7 liter???? I am an easy-goer,,not a lead-foot..How about the same truck,only with a 6.5 liter diesel????? PLEASE HELP.....
  • Options
    richcolorichcolo Member Posts: 81
    If no one else will answer, I'll venture my best guesses:

1998 3/4 ton, 4x4, extended cab...that's a heavy truck. With a Vortec 350 V-8 I'd guess 13 MPG. Maybe 15 MPG if you are as careful as you claim to be.

The members at thedieselpage.com generally claim 17 - 20 MPG for their 6.5 Diesels, which are usually in similarly heavy trucks.
  • Options
    turbo_guyturbo_guy Member Posts: 3
    My new Ranger extended cab 2WD with the 4.0 SOHC, 5 speed automatic and 3.55 limited slip rear with only 950 miles on it has averaged 18.6 MPG of mixed city/higway driving.

A new cap goes on tomorrow and I expect that my mileage will improve to 19.5 to 20 MPG in my normal mixed driving. I'll be really pleased if I can pull 21 - 23 MPG on an all highway cruise so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll be able to achieve that once the engine is broken in and I have switched to synthetic oil and a K&N air filter.

This truck is rated at 17 city/21 highway as I recall.
  • Options
    white250white250 Member Posts: 68
    2 WD 4.10 LS AXLE 20,000 MILES

23MPG HIGHWAY
    17MPG CITY

EXCELLENT TRUCK OR SUT
  • Options
    frey44frey44 Member Posts: 230
    FWIW, I have a 2000 Ranger 4x4, 4.0 "knocker" pushrod V6, with 5 speed auto and 3.73. I found almost a 1.5 MPG improvement from 200 miles (new) to 13000 miles (now). I also added a cap (and ARE brand fiberglass with boot). It appears to have given me about .5 to .6 mpg. So, my best tank so far has been 20.5 at 6o to 65 mph, level freeway, empty bed. Not bad for a 4x4, with all that drag from air turbulence under the truck..
    I just hate the "shakes" this truck has through the floorboard and seats. If it wasn't for vibration, I could say I LOVE this little truck.
  • Options
    mjbwrtrmjbwrtr Member Posts: 172
    my 2000 ranger has the 2.5 liter four cylinder in it, teamed with automatic, and it not only gives decent power beyond what everyone complained about, it delivers 360 miles per tank. i know it can go further but i dont wanna push it and end up walking. lol...
    those figures compute to about 22 to 23 mpg...and i once got it to 23.4. i just added a tonneau cover but i added weight for winter too so i imagine it will stay the same for now.
  • Options
    fireman176fireman176 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1996 F250 4x4 TD with a 4:10 rear end. Can I improve my mpg with a 3:73 rear end and still pull a 7000 trailer?
  • Options
    yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    I only have 2700 miles on this truck.

Best MPG was turnpike at 55-65 mph = 21mpg.

Since then the in town mileage is 15-17 mpg and 17-20 on the highway at 65-70mph.

Chevy dealership says that mileage should improve when the truck is broken in at 12,000 - 15,000 miles. We shall wait, hope, and see.
  • Options
    ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    The best way to improve your gas mileage is to slow down. Big trucks have more wind resistance and have big V8s, so the faster you go the more gas they consume. Slow down to 60-65 and watch you mileage go up.
  • Options
    ochizonochizon Member Posts: 25
    tacoma std cab 2wd 1996. I just drove 330 highway miles, and averaged 24 mpg. I was towing nothing, and was carrying no more than 100 lbs other than myself. I have seen posts of tacomas similar to mine reaching up to 30 mpg. Is there some secret I should know? Is 30 mpg a lofty goal? I averaged 80 mph.

Has anyone had any luck with those k&n air filter kits?

Also, does anyone know the size of the gas tank in this car? I dont have the manual and the 15.1 gallon rating on edmunds is obviously wrong. I think its somewhere in the 12 gallon range, but I would like to know for sure.

I would greatly apprecitate any insite,

Thank you

Alex
  • Options
    richcolorichcolo Member Posts: 81
    If you change the rear end gearing from 4.10 to 3.73 you will notice an improvement in mileage (after you change the speedometer gear in the transfer case), and you'll still be able to pull 7,000 lbs. You'll never save anywhere near the cost to make the change however, since you'll have to change both front and rear differential gears, and the truck won't pull that 7,000 Lbs. with the same ease that it does now. In that truck the best way to improve fuel economy is to slow down. Diesels are even more susceptible to this than gassers...at full rated power the fuel consumption is very nearly the same for gas or diesel. (Approx 20% advantage for diesel), but at idle the gas engine will consume perhaps 10 times more fuel... the difference is due to pumping losses from the throttle: Gas engines pull a vacuum, diesels do not. This is called part throttle economy, and diesels are remarkably better at low power than gassers. As a result slowing down pays off even bigger in a diesel than it does in a gasser. Another way of saying it is that diesels are much more sensitive to driving style differences than gasoline engines are.
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    California to Texas and back.

15 MPG overall 70 to 80 mph on I10 through 4 states.

Considering the truck was loaded with the family and
    alot of stuff. I can't complain.

BTW 2001 Chev Silverado Ext Cab 4X4 Z71 with the 5.3
  • Options
    over the years that most people who get waaay better mileage than the norm.........lie! Or possibly just micalculate. I bet thier golf scores are lower too. But there is on occasion that one vehicle where everything went together just right with all the optimum tolerences and it is indeed better.
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Or maybe they have better driving habits, keep the tires inflated to max, avoid using the brakes, observe traffic patterns to reduce acceleration and slowing down, drive in less congested areas, have real gas - not oxygenated gas.

Or, like you suggested, they just got the perfect vehicle. We borrowed my brother-in-laws truck a couple of years ago - 88 Chevy 4x4 std cab shortbed, 350, auto, AC on full - 25mpg. Unbelievable! He says thats normal for him. I figure he is 5-7mpg above anything that can be considered normal for that kind of truck.

Mike L
  • Options
    Iv'e tried driving like that for a tank or two and found very little difference. 1mpg at the most. My 305 '85 got 17 no matter how I drove it. Best gas mileage I ever got on our '88 Calais Quad 4 was in the mountains from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek and back with 4 adults in it. Go figure.
  • Options
    yellowdryellowdr Member Posts: 41
    I believe the 350 has always had a reputation of better mileage, especially in the older vehicles.

Older guys at the club believe that the extra emission controls have caused the mileage to go way down. I don't know.

I wish my S10 crew got the mileage of my 87 nissan king cab...25 in town, 30 on the road.
    Too much to hope for. The extra out of pocket cost for gas alone is only $10.00 / month for my driving so the 4x4 and 4 doors are worth it.
  • Options
    jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    Years ago we used to get surprisingly great gas mileage at the most unexpected times. Loaded and running mountains even. Never could explain it however. Conditions must have been just right such as speed, climate etc. Yep, go figure, it does happen.
  • Options
    That gas in other states (Other than California)
    is better on the mileage than locally.
    My best guess has to do with the oxygenation.
    The best I have seen is the Gas formulated for Arizona.

Hmmm
  • Options
    Gator36, where might "locally" be? My feeling is that we have lousy gas, Oregon, which is oxgenated. This is the junk we get in winter. Colder temperatures and degraded gas is not conducive to decent mileage.
  • Options
    prior to '88 but I had two '85 305's, '88, '90, & '92 350's and a 4.3 V6 in '96. And the new LS1 V8's get much better mileage than they did along with all the added power. MPG about equivalent to the '96 V6. They were all Reg. cab SWB and now I have a SWB X-cab.
  • Options
    mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    That's amazing about your brother-in-law's truck. I used to have an '88 just like his. The best I ever saw was 15.2 mpg on the highway.
  • Options
    I am in Southern California. One of the strictest areas in the country for gasoline formulations.
    I understand that ours is oxygenated year round with slight variances for seasonal climate changes.
  • Options
    pkieftpkieft Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 Ford F250 Ext. cab 4x4 with a 351 engine and auto trans. I get around 10.0 to 11.0 mpg with a mix of short and long trips. Is there anything anyone out there has done that can improve this mileage? I have a friend that says the exhaust ports can be reworked to improve the mpg a little but I think the cost would be prohibitive. Any other ideas?
  • Options
    Oregon actually changes gas in the winter to oxegenated. Didn't know Cal even used the junk. For myself, gasoline is now a moot point, bought a PSD about 14 months ago. The only gasser in the family is the wifes Outback. Not certain however that they don't "fix up" our diesel fuel for the winter. Something I'm not certain that I understand, local stations have posted their diesel as "PREMIMUM", which is all #2. What the heck is premiun diesel besides a marketing tactic?
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Welcome to the Subaru Crew's Weekly Chat!

Just a reminder that every Thursday you can join the Subaru Crew for a chat session from 6-7pm PT/9-10pm ET. Stop in to talk about Subaru or just to say hello!... We had a great turnout last week, but there's always room for more, so stop by and join in this week! Hope to see you there!!

/direct/view/.eea5f48

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    ....Club Cab Sport Plus 4x2, 4.7L, 545RFE auto, 3.55 LSD, 6010 lb. GVW package. No cover or cap.

Mixed driving, mostly around town, some open rural road, including 2.3 mile trip to work each day = 17.43 mpg average over six tanks (1951 miles). Extremely smooth engine and transmission.

Lowest 16.69 mpg
    Highest 19.26 mpg

Dusty
  • Options
    dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    From post #150.

First real Interstate road trip (I-390 to I-86 to US15, and back).

Cruise control used for 202 of the 244.3 miles driven, set at 65mph = 21.87mpg.

Dusty
This discussion has been closed.