Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• asleepyasleepy Member Posts: 70
    Mark,

Glad your dealer took care of it and thanks for the info (now I have an idea what was done to my Xenons). I had to take the car back 3 times within the first 5000 miles (once, it had to be towed). I have 9300 miles now and it has behaved (knock on wood). I still love driving it and would seriously consider another BMW. Like you, I find that the attitude and the service I get from the dealer service department to me very important. It is bad enough to have to take the car back for repairs so early after taking delivery; what would have been worse was to deal with a non-caring service department.

Glad I could help.

- A.
  • brdgplyrbrdgplyr Member Posts: 5
    i have posted message about 2 weeks ago. I need some advise please.
    when car is cold, there is about 2 to 3 sec slippage in transmission after put it in D. BMW says there is problem with certain transm. They say we will replace it with remanufactured one. I noticed that problem within 10 days. now has 1700 miles.
    Should I get it replaced? has anyone done this?
    2nd problem: i realized that when i stop at light, car does not roll, normally you have to keep the brakes on to keep cars from rolling. This one does not roll at all. I do not have to put foot on brake at light. This car seems to lock up as if placed it in Park. Almost feels like brakes are sticking. dealer says no. they are fine. I also get poor mileage in city . only about 13 to 14. maybe this is lemon?
    is this problem connected to transmission slip?
    any suggestions please. Need help before I go to dealer again. Thanks.
  • jasondjasond Member Posts: 28
    to brdgplyr: I had the transmission slip on a 2003 330 xi. After some thought, I decided to have the transmission replaced with a remanufactured transmission. This apparently has all new functioning components and is therefore new apart from the external aluminum case. The replacement went well. I had to leave the car at the dealer for about 1.5 days. The transmission slip has therefore been corrected. I feel that I did the correct thing since the slip was annoying. I have not experienced the other problem that you describe. I think that you will need to get your transmission replaced unless the slip does not bother you. I also get poor mileage in the city, but I am not too concerned about it. Regards, Jason
  • dave_in_ctdave_in_ct Member Posts: 5
    I bought my new 2004 325xiT wagon in December, before I began seeing posts about the Steptronic "slipping" problems. Each morning, as I would back out of my steep driveway onto an even steeper hill I would have to climb, after shifting from reverse into drive, my car would roll backwards for several seconds while I tried to compensate by stepping further down on the accelerator pedal. It reminded me of when I first learned to drive a manual shift car and hadn't quite mastered the clutch and gas pedal on a hill. Needless to say, it really was a safety issue - I didn't want to roll into a vehicle that might be coming up the hill. This issue would only happen on the first start of the day (in cold New England). I knew that something was wrong and hoped that the dealership could recreate the problem - you know that fear of a service manager or technician saying there is nothing wrong with the car. I was relieved to begin seeing posts from other owners who were experiencing the same difficulties, so I knew my car wasn't unique in this. I made copies of the posts here, including information about the TSB, and brought them into the BMW dealership. The service manager said that he didn't need to see the paperwork that I presented, since they were aware of the problem. This is my first BMW and I was nervous about changing brands and getting used to a new service department, etc...I am glad to say that the dealership was wonderful to work with. They ordered the replacement transmission (remanufactured with new parts) that day and within 2 weeks and only a day and a half without the car (I had a free loaner), I had my car back. The next frigid CT morning, as I backed out of the driveway, I held my breath - I shifted from reverse to drive and NO rolling back!! Plus, in regular driving, the car seemed to operate more smoothly.

For anyone who's thinking about not replacing the transmission, I briefly thought about living with the problem as I, too, didn't like the idea of having to replace the transmission on a new car. However, I wouldn't feel right selling it or trading it in down the road with this issue unresolved and letting someone "inherit" the problem and possibly have an accident.

Re: the post by brdgplyr, I have also experienced the same thing. Occasionally, when backing up on level areas, if I take my foot off of the accelerator, the car does stop, almost as if the parking brake is on. Give it a little gas, it moves - take your foot off of the gas, it stops and does feel, as described in brdgplyr's post,as if it's "locked". This was pre and post transmission replacement. I had mentioned it to the service manager before the replacement transmission who thought I should wait and see if the replacement transmission would solve the problem. If anyone has any insight, please share. Other than that and not-so-great gas mileage, the car's a pleasure to drive.
  • wusterwuster Member Posts: 153
    Hi All,

I'm thinking about buying a 1999 328i auto with the new body style that has about 57,000 miles.

I am wondering if anyone can tell me if there is any particular trouble areas with this model (i.e. acuras/hondas have problems with premature water pump and automatic transmission failures, the early audi a4 has problems with front suspension issues, etc)

Also, the car is due for a 60k service and I would like to know a) what is involved in a 60k service for bmw and b) the big question...about how much is it gonna cost.

I'm looking to drive this thing for at least 100k and would like to know if it is going to last.

I would appreciate any info you can provide.

Thanks!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    the 1999 E46 was the first year of the E46. Take that for what it's worth. Some people here have had some issues with them, but others, like Shipo only had to deal with a couple of burnt out bulbs.

If you can look up TSB information, look for TSB's for that year and look to see if the particular car you want to buy has had any of them performed.

-Paul
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Anyone have any suggestions on what to have the dealership checkout/inspect/replace as I near the expiration of my 4yr/50K mile warranty on a '01 330i?

So far, everything's been great and I haven't had any problems.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My dealership has no problem with me using Mobil-1 0W-40, just as long as I use a factory BMW filter that is.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • newbuyer30newbuyer30 Member Posts: 13
    I love my new 330i except for one thing...I keep opening the trunk accidentially using the trunk release button on the key. I often have to stop to get out of the car to close my trunk. Is there a way to delay the trunk release so that you have to push and hold down the button for a second to activate the trunk (like on the Lexus)? Thanks in advance.
    Newbuyer30: I too had this problem when I first got my car. I soon learned, however, that it is easier to avoid pressing the trunk release on the key than to have to stop and get out to close the trunk. So it is something one just learns to avoid doing. I don't know whether BMW provides the same key mechanism that Lexus does.
  • scottlpscottlp Member Posts: 21
    I am about to take posession of a new 330xi. I'll be checking out the car thoroughly at the dealer before I take posession of it, and of course I'd like to make sure it does not have this problem. Is all I need to do just start a cold car and see if it engages drive quickly, or if there is a pause?

Thanks for your time.

Scott
    I very much doubt that transmission slip will be a problem on newer BMW 330xis. BMW is very aware of this problem and clearly would wish, I think, to avoid the cost of replacing transmissions. I had my transmission replaced recently on a 2003 330xi with very satisfactory results. The problem seems to occur (in affected cars) only after standing all night at a low temperature. Certainly, you will detect it easily by putting the vehicle into reverse to get out of the parking place. In an affected vehicle, when you shift to drive, the car will pause 2-3 seconds and may even lurch if you place your foot on the accelerator. Good luck, Jason
  • kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    Strange that the trunk would release while the key is in the ignition. Even with the new Honda Accord integrated remote-key, you cannot open the trunk or lock the doors when the key is in the ignition.
    But with the inability of locking the car with the key in the ignition, there is a security risk when you need to warm up your car during the winter days.

BTW...I'm on this forum just researching the 325.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Has anyone had this problem? the top refuses to go up. I realized my driver side quarter rear window won't wind down and if that happens, the top refuses to move. Happens intermittently...

ksso
  • cat244cat244 Member Posts: 5
    Hey folks! I'm a recent proud owner of a 325CI, and have had the car for a full week, and can say it's true love. However, just a couple of days ago while I was parked with the engine on, I noticed a very high-pitched constant whining noise. I turned off the fan, closed all vents, opened all the vents, and the sound was still there. Now I hear the sound all the time, even when I'm driving. I was at the dealership to install an alarm system, and asked the service advisor to listen to the sound. After listening, he told me it was completely normal, and that it's the valvetronic engine. This is my first BMW, so I wonder is this normal? The sound isn't overbearing, and you really have to concentrate to hear it, but I just want to know if this something I need to worry about. Please help!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Lucky you! BMW must have sold you one of their experimental prototypes by mistake, as you have the only Valvetronic six cylinder in the US! <sarcasm off>
    The only North American Valvetronic engines are the 4.4 V8 and the 6.0 V12. Tell your service advisor to think up a more creative lie next time.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    My car also makes that type of noise at times, except I can only hear it outside. It seems to come from the rear end. I can't remember how it was explained, but I do remember many folks saying that is something BMW's do. Your noise may be that or it could be something else.
    That is typically attributed to an electronic in-tank fuel pump.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hey...Well, shows how much I know! But thanks for everyone's input, I guess the noise was just such a change from my quiet Accord!

I can't believe that service advisor was such an idiot, hey, I guess I was pretty dumb to believe him. It's just not easy being a girl, and trying to understand such a complicated car! That's why I'm glad to have found you guys!
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    You are doing the right thing by learning about your car. A well-informed customer will force them to be honest. Take it back and have them look at it again. But don't take their BS as gospel.

-Paul
    Yeah, what erickpl said...:) Don't let the know-nothings at that dealer intimidate you. Until you find a competent service advisor it might be fun to act like you actually believe what he's telling you. At the very least it will be entertaining to learn the extent of his ignorance. Anyway, don't worry that you don't know everything about your car-we all had to start somewhere. The way it sounds you already know more about your 3er than your dealer does...
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Experiences like this hurt the brand reputation. I have had nothing but stellar dealership experiences, it's a small dealer, and I guess they figure the motto: "The customer is always right", is the rule of the day.
  • ribmwribmw Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2004 325xi in November. I had my first transmission replaced for the slipping problem in January. The second transmission recently is "kicking" into gear. Also one morning this week, my front brakes went. The dealer said that my rotors were rusted. Has anyone had a problem with a second transmission or have had their brakes go? The dealer is giving me the run around and my next step is contacting BMW North America. Thanks!
    What do you mean when you say that your front brakes front brakes "went"? Did they fail completely or did they merely require added effort to stop the vehicle? How long had your car been idle? Rusted rotors aren't that uncommon-particularly in areas where the relative humidity is high and/or when the car is washed and then not driven for some time . According to the service invoice, what brake repairs were performed? While brake problems are not unheard of, the E46 is not prone to chronic braking issues.
  • bjpbjp Member Posts: 6
    Just bought my 325ci, love it! Any one have any ideas how to get the remaining sticky crap off my myrtle wood trim after taking off the air bag warning label on the passenger side?
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I've found wd-40 works great for removing leftover sticker goo from painted surfaces (warning stickers on motorcycle gas tanks, for instance). It would probably work on the wood also. I would spray it onto a soft rag and wipe at it to prevent overspray. There's also a product made specially for that purpose... goo-be-gone, gunk-off... hahaha... neither of those are it but it's something like that.
    I think you're talking about "Goo Gone". I've had good luck luck using it to remove labels and such. I'd put a small amount on a rag and rub gently. Remember, less is more.
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    during the free routine maintenance service on new cars does the dealer find other things that need fixing you must pay for?
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    In the first 58K miles on my car I've paid my dealership for:

* $55 for 1 interim oil change (did the other non-scheduled changes myself)

* 2 inner fender liners - broke one backing over a log and one when I
      pegged a groundhog - in both cases a sensor was lost which I had
      to pay to have replaced also. If memory serves, the temp sensor
      for the obc was attached to the drivers side liner and the temp
      sensor for the heated mirrors/windshield washers was on the
      passenger's side. The cost on these was ~$125 per side.

* I did pay for a brake fluid change also, but the service manager
      realized it should have been covered under the free maintenance
      and credited my account.

Bottom line is that my particular dealership did not find things to fix.
  • edhedh Member Posts: 246
    anyone else?
    So far in five years of BMW ownership, the only out of pocket money I've spent on my BMW for maintenance, at the dealership or otherwise, is about $1.00. That was for two taillights that would have been covered under warranty if I had wanted to drive the 8 miles to the dealership instead of 1 mile to the parts store and do it myself. In other words, every trip to the dealership (3 of them actually) had been free so far. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Excluding the alarm system, total out of pocket costs in 2 years is: $0. Total trips to the dealer for unscheduled warranty service: 1. That was to fix some loose weatherstripping. Last service on the car 5/2003 for 15K service.
    Hi Stacy and Brian,

I don't know if you're still having the whining noise problem, but I recently purchased a 2004 325ci, auto trans, and it too had the similar whining noise that you talked about. When I took it to the service department, they too told me it was normal. I actually started convincing myself it was normal, until one day the noise just stopped. Having been told the noise was normal, I was positive it wasn't normal, since it happened intermittently.

The second time I took it to the shop, I had the service manager take a look at the car, and at first he said it was normal. Well, to cut a long story short, they found that there was a problem with the fuel tank, and they had to replace the entire thing! Now, no more whining noise! So I suggest you have them take a look at the fuel tank.

Part # 1 16-11-6-763-569 Fuel tank

Hope this helps, I know how frustrating and annoying that sound can be!!!
    Maybe something to do with the fuel pump? Or a defective fuel tank that wasn't manufactured correctly and was vibrating against the frame? Or wasn't attached correctly to the frame?
  • jchandrajchandra Member Posts: 12
    I have a 1 year old BMW 325i. I had the Chrome exhaust tips installed on the car prior to delivery. One of the tips on one of the pipes seems to crack every 3 or 4 months. I have had the dealer replace the Chrome tip with no charge; however it's annoying to having to go back for such minor things.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening.
    I will be happy to know any other experiences like mine.
  • vainvain Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any experience with upgrading the head unit on the stereo but keeping the stock cd changer? I would like to update the head unit to one that allows me to plug in an mp3 player, but want to keep the stock cd changer. Anyone have experience with doing this?
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    I noticed that the manual says to replace the brake fluid (bleed the brakes) after two years. However, this isn't covered under Inspection I and since I bought this '01 car used (at 2.5 years and with 36K miles... past the free maintenance period) and this has yet to be done, will the dealer do this for free?

Also, where are people getting oil changes for so little? Every dealer I call around here (SF) wants $120+.
  • alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    I had a 2001 325i for 3 years, and I never experienced cracks on the chrome tail pipes I installed at the exhaust. Obviously, there is a metallurgy problem and the most likely source could be corrosion by impurities in the fuel. Not a whole lot you can do. Buy a different tip? Take the old one to a lab for diagnostics? I wouldn't worry much about it. It's not something that is so visible, and it is an accessory which at trade in time is worth nothing. Don't sweat it.
  • bmwlover3bmwlover3 Member Posts: 11
    I would suggest the following to reduce the maintenance cost.

(1) Join BMW CCA and receive a discount at participating dealers(most are). Find one that give you at least 20% off the real list parts prices. Some will try to inflate these prices. If you shop around you can buy the BMW synthetic 5w40 for $3.40/qt. The OEM BMW oil filter kit (with o-rings) should cost $6.50.

(2) Find out how much oil you need, in my 525i it is 7Qt.

(3) Ask your dealer how much they would charge to change your oil if you supplied the parts. My dealer is $16.00. This would not include re setting the service indicators.

(4) Buy a Bentley Manual for you car so you know what is involved with each job.

(5) If you have some mechanical ability you could change air and cabin filter yourself. In fact changing the oil is not that difficult. You could buy an extractor to make it easier.

(6) You could buy a few special service tools such as a service indicator reset tool. When doing any work on a BMW I would strongly recommend using only a properly calibrated torque wrench. This can prevent major problems.

Please do not try any of these suggestion if you are not comfortable with working with a modern vehicle.

Best Regards,
  • ja2ja2 Member Posts: 2
    I recently had a rough idle problem which occured one time and it has been fine since then. The dealer diagnostic showed misfire and said it was the car software problem. My car model is 2001 330i. Could this be the ignition coil problem? I talked to the dealer about the ignition coil problem but they said ignition coil problem is only for 325i's.
  • ja2ja2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 330i. I haven't had a stall problem but I did have a rough start but only one time (so far). I took it to the dealer and they said I had a misfire when the problem occured and said it is the software problem. The software is supposed to be ready by early June.

Pinging occured during my rough start. Is my problem similar to yours?
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    Get a call while at work from my wife saying that right after she left the house this morning service engine light came on then car started making a stuttering sound and had poor accelleration. From my brief conversation with her, it didn't "buck" but was just acting funny. I told her to turn car off then restart(think I heard that here?!) and it worked. Any ideas of what's going on??

2003 325ia with 9000 miles

We bought the car in Houston right before we moved to Atlanta so we don't know where to get service here, i.e. which dealer is the best for service, so any rec's would be greatly appreciated.

thanks as always
    frank
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    We bought our '03 325ia with 7600 miles on it in December.. The first day my wife drove it to work.... same thing. Turned out to be the camshaft position sensor. She did the same thing.. turned it off, then got it started and it got her to work.. but, we called BMW assist and they flat-bedded it to dealer.

Evidently, this happens a lot. Part was in stock and got it back the next day. (Already after noon when they towed it in).

No problems since... Now at 13K miles.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Can anybody recommend a Atlanta BMW dealer for service?

With my other car, there are only 2 dealers in town for that make and one of the dealer's service dept is miserable - so that's the reason I ask about BMW.

thanks again all
    frank
    Went to Nalley BMW. Had called them 3 times and left messages with their service dept(never picked up their phone) but never got a call back. I was going to blow them off but happened to be in the nieghborhood and stopped by. I asked why they had not returned any of my calls but just got a we are busy reply. I went ahead and made an appt for the next morning and they were very accomodating. The problem turned out to be a bad coil which they said was very common. We'll see if it holds up!

flip side
    frank
  • prk1965prk1965 Member Posts: 4
    Well I'm sorry to say that I think we have the same transmission problem that many of you have mentioned in the earlier posts. When pulling out of driveway there is a 2-3 second hesitation before it engages. The problem I have is that this car is brand new 2004 325xi- 2 weks old with 550 miles on it, and this started happening from Sunday on. I called dealer thos morning and they asked us to bring it in on Wednesday. He said these problems we're common with the '03 but not the 04 model. The previous posts seem to contradict this. This is our first BMW and after 2 weeks it leaves sort of sour taste int he mouth.
    Has everyone else had their problems resolved? and what can I expect from the service visit?
    Thanks in advacne.
    Prk1965: I had a new (or refurbished) transmission installed on my 2003 330xi because of the same problem. The problem has been entirely resolved. Like you, I was nervous about doing it and I was also disappointed that the need existed. I am pleased, however, that I had the work done since the car is now functioning satisfactorily. The work took about 1 1/2 days. My suggestion regarding your service visit is that you drop off the car the night before and let them start it in the morning. Otherwise, they might not be able to replicate what is a genuine problem. Let us know how everything worked out. Jason
  • chanchan Member Posts: 3
    Count me in for the transmission problem. Within a week of picking up my new 330xi, I noticed the same issue that others had posted. AAt first I was not sure if I was imagining it, but on colder mornings it was obvious. I went to the dealer, BMW Peabody MA, and they immediatley new of the issue and said they would replace the tranny. I voiced my concern and they said they have replaced many and have solved the issue. My major issue was them installing what they call new, but actually a rebuilt transmission. They assured me it was the same and that there were no new ones in the country. After asking to speak with an owner of the dealership, they offered to give me the rebuilt and to extend the warranty on it to 6 years or 80K miles. This seemed fair to me and it is being done in a few weeks. Speak up and you also should get the warranty extended. When you buy something new you should not be inheriting a problem. Otherwise I love the car, its fun to drive and am very happy with the decision to buy it. Hopes this helps
  • sirdarbysirdarby Member Posts: 20
    I had gone to Nalley since 1999 when it was Chris BMW. They were terrific until Nalley took over IMHO. Customer Service took a turn for the worse. I personally do not like Global either.

Now I take my car to United BMW in ROswell. They are very responsive and customer service oriented.
  • sirdarbysirdarby Member Posts: 20
    Same thing happened to me after Ipicked mine up following a complete detail. When I took to dealer, they said my lift was out. Cost about $1,000 under my extended warranty.