Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kdogkdog Member Posts: 23
    Has anyone experienced having condensation inside their bimmer's headlight covers? I noticed my new 330i's Xenon headlight had condensation on the inside cover. This occurred at night when I turned my headlights on. The temperature was only 55 degrees outside. Is this normal?
  • cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    The Xenon system is simply a bulb (similar in shape to non-xenon) that is connected to a ballast (under your headlight unit), which in turn is connected to the power. The bulb rests in an oval reflector/lense to project the light beam. Actual lense projectors could be unscrewed from the headlight unit, but they are never replaced unless damaged, only the bulbs are.

There maybe a seal problem somewhere but you may be able to turn on the lights for a while and have it disappear. It would be remotely possible that the light assembly itself is leaking, but most likely a gasket on one of the light sockets is the culprit. The light assemblies are not ever totally sealed, BTW. If you look close along the bottom you will see that small drain tubes are built-in to allow excessive water to drain out. I suppose under extreme conditions it would be possible to get an excessive amount of humid air inside the unit, but that strikes me as very unlikely.

You might try pulling the lamps out overnight to let the unit dry out - who knows, you may never see the problem again.

Not sure about the 330i or if this applies to the Xenon's or non-Xenon's, but many BMW X5 owners have experienced condensation in their front headlights at one time or another. If the vehicle is still under warranty then you can request that your dealer replace it at no charge, but they may also tell you to turn on the lights for awhile as well. If, however, your vehicle is out of warranty then here is a trick that has worked for others.

First, remove the high beam socket from the headlight housing by twisting the socket and pulling it straight out. Use care not to touch the bulb, as the oils from your fingers could cause the bulb to fail prematurely. Next, place a wet/dry vacuum hose into the socket and form a tight a seal as possible. Allow the vacuum to run for as long as it takes to suck the moisture from the headlight housing. Be patient and let it run. Sometimes it may need to run for several hours to complete removing all of the moisture. Once all of the moisture is gone, simply reinsert the high beam light socket and you are all set.

Others have tried using a blow dryer to eliminate the condensation as well.

There was a recall in February 2001 (#630399) for Headlamps - Misting/Condensation Inside (not sure if Xenon or non-Xenon). This was related to the 2000 BMW 328Ci (E46). Although unrelated to BMW, the Porsche Cayenne (not sure of the year) had a Xenon condensation problem (service bulletin #3010).
  • rcallahanrcallahan Member Posts: 9
    I went on a test drive with a 2005 325i. There was wind noise from the driver and passenger window. This was noticable at 50 MPH. Is this normal or did I drive a car with issues?
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    My '04 325i is sufficiently quiet as far as wind noise goes, especially at only 50mph. I would try another one if I were you.
  • reneefoxreneefox Member Posts: 1
    Okay, since I've looked all over the Internet for a diagram of which fuses are which in the box, maybe someone can just tell me what fuse # is the Power Antenna? I can't afford a manual.
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    This morning, when I started my car, the idle was very rough and the car filled with a strange odor. It didn't smell like gas, more like spray paint but a little perfumey (it's harder to explain smells than I would've thought). I shut the car off and restarted it. On the second attempt, the car idled normally and the smell didn't seem to get any worse.

This same thing happened to me about 2-3 months ago. At that time, my service dept hooked up the code reader and said they could see a "misfire event" took place but there were no specific fault codes.

It's a 2001 330Ci.

Anyone have any experience with this or an educated guess as to what the problem may be? TIA!
  • wenttosubiewenttosubie Member Posts: 5
    Had a 2002 330Ci and the lease ended this month. I loved driving the car, but absolutely hated dealing with BMW. If you ever look up "arrogance" in the dictionary, you'd see the propeller emblem. Maybe it's me, but I expect more for a $42K car.

The "ultimate ownership experience" reminds me of owning a boat--the two best days of a boat owners' life is the day he buys it and the day he sells it. I have had a host of warranty issues with the car from broken turn stalks, to being severely out of alignment with only 10 miles on the car (3 trips to Momentum BMW to fix), too many airbag warning lights to count, door mouldings which would shred and then would come completely off after being "repaired." At $90/hour for labor, you'd figure there would be a bit more attention to detail than your average backwoods bait/tackle & gas station. What put me over the top was when my final airbag warning light came on on a Tuesday, BMW service said the next available appointment would be on a Friday afternoon--if I wanted a loaner car. After telling the service manager that Audi would tell me to come in immediately (which Audi does), and asking if he was confident my airbags would deploy if I were in an accident between then an Friday, he rescheduled the appointment for the next day.

Maybe one day BMW will realize that price sells the product, but service keeps you coming back. The salesman seemed astonished when I told him he couldn't give me one of the cars on the lot when he asked if I wanted to lease another. I have moved back to Japanese quality and reliability and won't be making a foray into the overpriced and undervalued German world anytime soon. I believe more and more people are realizing this as you have noticed the "deals" BMW is now making which they didn't have to two or three years ago.

With my new car, I'll actually be driving it instead of telling people "I have a Beemer, but it's in the shop."
  • rascalerascale Member Posts: 19
    Yada yada yada. You got a bad apple in the bunch and unfortunately you bought at a dealership with lousy service. But, I am sure you will find plenty of satisfied BMW owners here, me included. I am on my 3rd BMW, with few problems. Stop venting and move on.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    We'll miss you too.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    I'd say your problem is more with your dealer than with your car.. Although, not downplaying those problems, either..

I don't love my dealer, either.. But, then again, I've only had to go in once in the year we've had it.. and that was for scheduled maintenance..

"With my new car, I'll actually be driving it instead of telling people "I have a Beemer, but it's in the shop."

Yeah.. but you'll be driving a Subaru.. that can't be a lot of fun after a BMW.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    I sort of agree, price and service sell the car. Except 1) I'll never find any other vehicle that been as reliable as mine: 5 times in 3 years for service. 2) If my next move isn't German, maybe Mercedes, it's going to be one of the new breed of American muscle cars with a large displacement engine. I want a car, that when I step on the gas it moves with no uncertainty, and the engine doesn't need a turbo and rev to 9000.
  • ambienceambience Member Posts: 1
    My question too,about brake service to a 328i, 1997. Had pads and rotors replaced and the sensor light won't go out. Does it needto be reset by the dealer. Also my airbag light won't go off? I can't remember the web site for recalls, which I read something about them(the airbags) were recalled for some reason. Can some one out there help me?
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Silly question perhaps, but did you get the brake wear sensor replaced too?
    You're right, it's not as fun. But I can't put a price not having to deal with BMW service. However, the Legacy GT has quite a bit more power than the 330 and is much faster too. Even if it needs a turbo, 250hp and 250 lbft torque is 250. Still up 15hp on the 330 w/PP for 1/2 the price and it's a lighter car. And for anyone wondering, you don't have to rev it to 9000, only about 3600 for max torque with the turbo. I would say the Legacy has an equivalent, if not a faster throttle response than the 330. Not quite as refined and doesn't have all of the little niceties, but for minimum 20K less, I'll live with it.
    Honda's S2000 is 9K rev and it's awful. I've driven it. It's tiring. However, max torque for Subie is 3600 rpm. I believe BMW is at least 4K on the revs. Plus Subie is 250hp & lb ft, BMW is 225 and 215. 250 is 250 no matter the country of origin. Or for $4K more than the $42K you're already spending, you can get an additional 10hp on BMW. Whoopeee. I think a hp per dollar cost analysis is clear. Yea, less panache with Subie, but I can get a new Subie every 5 years for 10 years...or 1 BMW.
    kewl - enjoy your Subie, I'm sure it'll be a great car for you.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    Wow, where's your dealer I'll go there. Mine makes you wait two months for a loaner even if your BMW is dead on the side of the road.
    Momentum BMW in Houston. Why am I not suprised about 2 months? It seems to me the BMW dealers have more cars to service than their ability to handle. What does that tell you?
    It doesn't tell me anything except that BMWs are immensely popular and at some point, some cars will need regular maintenance.
    I have no doubt that your dealer is terrible... but, if Honda offered service loaners, the wait would be the same... Only, if you buy a Honda, you don't expect a loaner.. You get a ride, or wait.. Actually, my Honda dealer has a shuttle service.. but only one way.. when my car is ready, I have to get a ride back..

My BMW dealer uses only BMWs as service loaners.. I think they have about 20-25 of them.. I won't be surprised when I can't get one, just unhappy about it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    You should have been focusing your energy on complaining to BMW not looking for validation around here, especially if you are already out of the bimmer. I have both a BMW and Subie and can tell you that my service experience with BMW is impeccable and it’s the pits with Subaru. Heck, it’s literally Ford service. But I’ve gone through Subaru corporate offices and have gotten results. It works with most companies. Sounds like you had a horrible dealer. When you complain to corporate, the dealer tends to shape up at least on your case. The key is to know how to be a gadfly and work your contacts up the corporate chain right to the people who have influence, not the minimum-wage employees who answer the phones. The world is the world, cars are cars, and we are all vulnerable.
  • kdogkdog Member Posts: 23
    After talking to a BMW service advisor about my 2004 330i's light having condensation inside the headlight covers, he said that it's normal and as long there is no puddle of water then it's ok. BTW, it's a xenon. Comments from anyone who also experienced this? Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    There was some condensation inside the covers of my early production 1999 328i (built in early December of 1998) when it was delivered to me. After a couple of drives with the headlights on (Xenon's), the condensation vanished and it never returned while I owned the car (traded for a 2002 530i in April of 2002).

I don't know if any of this helps, please keep us posted.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    True, when I had my Honda my loaner was big and white and required $2.00 in exact change.
    Boy, do I have a good comeback for this one..

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    kyfdx....I have a 2004 330i...12,000 Km and so far perfect.....except for in the morning when going in reverse from the garage...(going from Reverse to Drive) it feels like the brakes are on trying to go forward...when I rev it up ( in D ) it moves slowly forward and after that it is perfectly normal.
    I am taking it to the dealer on Tuesday to check it out.
    Any idea what it may be....I hope it not the tranny?!
    Webby
    Is it a delay before dropping into D, when the engine is cold? I believe there is some kind of software update for that.. That is a common problem, and I think an easy fix.

Don't worry too much.. Even if it turns out to be a tranny swap.. That is really a routine repair, that is much better than having some guy at the dealership tearing yours down...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

"Is it a delay before dropping into D, when the engine is cold?"

Thanks for the response.
    When I drop it from R to N and D it feels like the brakes are locked...and then after applying more gas to accelerate it pulls away slowly...and yes it is getting worse with cold weather but it is still fairly warm comparing what is coming here in Ontario. Other then that the tranny has been fantastic..can not feel the gears unless of course you go into the manual mode.
    Regards,
    Webby
    I didn't mean necessarily when the outside temperature was cold, just the engine temperature (as in: when it has been sitting overnight)... It feels like the brake is on, because the transmission isn't dropping into gear.. I doubt it has anything to do with the brakes...

As I said, a fairly frequent problem with '03 and '04 3-series, at least from what I have heard.

Your dealer should have a software update for it.. Just tell them it delays going into drive two or three seconds when the engine is cold, and that you feel unsafe backing out on to your street... They should take care of it right away.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I tried last night without the hand brake on and same thing it had the dealy...so I went into manual mode ( in first gear ) and no problem, no delay. I think you are correct kyfdx....sounds like software issue.
    Thanks,
    Webby
  • tangko1959tangko1959 Member Posts: 4
    My BMW is a 325i(E46), recently I always heard sounds like "it..it..it.." from the rear wheels when someone getting in or out the car in parking mode.
    I tried to fix the problem by sending the car to BMW's official service center. The technician said it's the normal sounds that if the hand brake applied.
    I just wonder have anyone got the same problem and why I never heard the same sound from other brand of cars?
    Relax; it's a common characteristic of BMW cars.
  • tangko1959tangko1959 Member Posts: 4
    Hello Mr. B

Did you meant the sounds of my BMW is normal?Please advise....Thanks!

tangko1959
    Yes, the noise is normal-just the nature of the beast.
  • r_l_edisonr_l_edison Member Posts: 14
    I have a two month old 330xi with sport seats and a 6-speed. Inspite of all the available seat adjustments, I'm having a hard time finding a comfortable driving position (I'm 5'8" and 140lbs, so it's not that I don't fit well in the car). One part is that the seat feels like it is turned slightly to the left, while the seat cushion seems to tilt back and to the center of the car. I've also noticed that the angle of the seat cushion can't be lowered as much as the passenger seat, which would help somewhat with at least one portion of this strange feeling. It's especially noticeable in that the passenger seat is completely absent of this problem...I can very easily adjust the passenger seat to a comfortable height/angle/distance. At first I thought maybe the seat cushion just needed to be broke-in, or I just wasn't used to the car yet...but it's been two months now and 2,000 miles and it doesn't seem to be improving significantly. Also, the gas pedal seems positioned much closer to the driver (than the dead-pedal, and also in relation to keeping a comfortable distance from the gas pedal while still being able to depress the clutch all the way to the floor...most noticeable when trying to cruise at a constant speed on the highway), and at a much steeper angle than other cars I've driven, including my Boxster, which has the same accordian-style gas pedal, but an almost ideal driving position for angle and distance with the pedals. A friend of mine says there are aftermarket kits available that can at least reduce the angle of the gas pedal. Is that something the dealership can do, or even endorses as a modification, or is it purely an aftermarket thing and something I'll have to do on my own, at the risk of violating my warranty or lease restrictions? These are both things I did not notice in the car I test drove (I ordered this one from the factory), which also had sport seats and a 6-speed manual. I've even asked several friends to drive the car and they all agree with my observations. Has anyone else experienced/noticed a problem like this? I'm very frustrated that a car I bought primarily for the pleasure of driving, and is billed as the ultimate driving machine, has become so unpleasant to drive because the driving position is less than ideal. Thank you for your insight and help on this.

R
  • rdr1rdr1 Member Posts: 4
    picked up my baby a week and a half ago ... 325i, silver gray, blk ltte, sp, pp, xenon, AUTO ... Love it! So I'm real careful about not reving past 4K and vary my speed on the hwy to break it in but i noticed something today ...

When I was trying to switch lanes, I accelarated and instead of the rpms going up, they started to drop off to 2.5K and then jumped to 4.5K. There seems to be a resistance now around 3K when I know I didn't notice that before.

It just doesn't seem right ... I expect the car to accelarate when I give it gas - in this case, the speedometer starts increasing, the pedal feels heavy, the RPMs start dropping and then boom - they shoot up to 4500 and then the speed picks up.

I should mention that this happens only when the car is in 4th and on the move. Off a stop, its great.

Any thoughts?

Thanks ...
  • lojaklojak Member Posts: 7
    Your auto transmission is adaptive, meaning it learns the shift points as you drive it more to try and match your driving style. This is all computer driven. Just like any computer program, however, they can malfunction or simply calculate your "personal" shift points incorrectly. You can drive it some more and hope that it picks up your more "usual" shift points, or take it to the dealer and have them reset it. Also, have them run a check on any software updates that might be available. The new 5 series were notorious for their "immature" software builds, especially with the auto tranny.
  • robopoprobopop Member Posts: 15
    A very similar feeling occurs in my 2001 530 auto. It started around 20,000 miles and is steadily getting worse (now at 65,000)and in 2,3 and 4 gear. The dealer has done the new software route a couple of times which usually helps for a while, BMWNA says it is "normal" and the folks at Roundel say it is the nature of the automatic beast to think for itself. I have given up trying to get it fixed and learned to live with it - mostly by keeping the RPMs above 3000 which is easy to do with the steptronic transmission and not without some inherent joy. If you find a different solution please post it.
  • 330blast330blast Member Posts: 49
    I read some posts that it is kind of "normal" that a bimmer will lose some Engine oil every 4-5K miles, thus require adding a quarter motor oil. However, my own experience is much worse than that. In the last 6 months, the engine oil light came up three times, which means almost every two months, I had to add a quarter of motor oil. I mainly use the 2001 330i for daily commute and drive no more than 1200 miles/month. No heavy traffic and no hard driving (even though the baby is built for that). BTW, if it matters, I do take the car to a back road with nice curves from time to time (every 2-4 weeks) and the engine oil warning light almost always came up after one of these enjoyable mountain road curving.
    Do you folks consider this normal? Other than the mysterious loss of engine oil, the car drives like a charm and I don't see any other problems.

Thanks
  • mackaymackay Member Posts: 1
    I am waiting for my beamer to be born in about 4 more weeks. I can't wait. does anyone have a 2005 330 convertible? What do you think?? Anyone with the steel blue color? i also purchased a hard top. Any comments appreciated
  • karlavkarlav Member Posts: 2
    I'm new to the boards here, looking for advice on a 1988 325ic body problem that I can't seem to solve: rainwater starting to fill up the well where the convertible top is stowed. The dealer suggested a new seal to keep the rain out, but that hasn't worked. And the real problem is how to keep the rainwater draining out once it does seep into the well. Has anyone else had or solved this problem, or have a suggestion for me? I keep having to bail the water out of that well, and it's slowly corroding away the metal parts of the soft top that is stowed there.
  • drddodrddo Member Posts: 33
    I'm not sure, but I may be having the same problem. My new 2004 325xi is stalling every morning now that the weather is getting cold. The first turn of the key, the engine catches very briefly then stalls. The second turn starts every time. The engine is a bit rough until it gets warmed up, then it works like a charm. Kyfdx, is the software update you mentioned the fix I need?

Drddo
    Well.. the problems I've heard about were more transmission related.. When the engine is cold, you shift from Reverse to Drive.. and it seems to sit in neutral for two to three seconds..

However, most stalling, hesitation problems with 3-series seem to be fixed by some kind of computer update.. I'd definitely have the dealer look at it (it's free!!).

regards,
    kyfdx
    (no problems here..crossing fingers)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Any chance there's a drain hose that is plugged?
  • glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    I'm swapping over my summer wheels/tires on my new 330 for the new winter wheels/tires I recently purchased. Can anyone help me out with the proper torque setting for the lug nuts when I tighten them? Thanks.
    88 lb/ft, tightened in a "Star" pattern.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Got mine put on today.... 88 lbs.. or so they tell me... lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• glakerglaker Member Posts: 49
    Thanks Shipo and kyfdx! I sent an e-mail request for the same info to the "Owners' Circle" at BMW-USA. Guess what they said???? "Sorry, we don't have that kind of information". God forbid they should provide something useful other than sales crap! Glad we've got this forum!
    "Well.. the problems I've heard about were more transmission related.. When the engine is cold, you shift from Reverse to Drive.. and it seems to sit in neutral for two to three seconds.. "

In my 2004 330I fixed on Oct 26th....here is the comment from the N/C invoice :

" Check vehicle does not move when first put into gear on coldstarts. Drives fine when warmed up.
    EGS programing . Bulletin 24 07 03
    Short test no codes in EGS. Reprogram as per Bulletin 24 07 03 ".

Thanks KDX
    Regards,
    Charlie
    Your welcome. ;-)

Oddly enough, the data does exist over on the "Owners' Circle", within the downloadable PDF manuals. If you simply download the manual for the 2004 3-Series sedans you will see on page 150 that the torque specification is 120 Nm or 88.5 lb/ft. It seems that the folks over at the "Owners' Circle" don't have the ability to read their own manuals. ;-) Kind of funny if you think about it.

Best Regards,
    Shipo