Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bhs1bhs1 Member Posts: 6
    We have had Xenon lights for 3 years on a 2002 330xi live in Manhattan. Do not under any circumstances even consider buying the car without it. This will definetly make driving at night easier for you in the city or out. No pun intended but it's the differnce between day and night -- I can see great driving at night where I have had problems , even when I was in my 20s. It makes it a pleasure to drive at night -- reduces fatigue and strain of night driving. I can see clearly now. As previuosly, stated by another -- let the insurance company worry about it, but I have had no problem with theft. I have heard of an adjustment period with some people but it was love at first sight for me and had absolutely no problem adjusting to the Xenon. We just ordered a 2006 330i, and it's now standard on the car.
    It seems the benefits of added life safety gained as well as preventing a possible costly accident is a far great benefit and less of a risk then a possible theft.
    We have had Xenon lights for 3 years on a 2002 330xi live in Manhattan. Do not under any circumstances even consider buying the car without it. This will definetly make driving at night easier for you in the city or out. No pun intended but it's the differnce between day and night -- I can see great driving at night where I have had problems , even when I was in my 20s. It makes it a pleasure to drive at night -- reduces fatigue and strain of night driving. I can see clearly now. As previuosly, stated by another -- let the insurance company worry about it, but I have had no problem with theft. I have heard of an adjustment period with some people but it was love at first sight for me and had absolutely no problem adjusting to the Xenon. We just ordered a 2006 330i, and it's now standard on the car.
  • tslbmwtslbmw Member Posts: 172
    CHANGE A FREAKIN LIGHT BULB!! Alright, now that I've gotten that out of my system. . .has anyone here replaced a front turn signal bulb? According to the manual: "Using a screwdriver, release the inner hook through the upper opening. 2. Pull the lamp toward the front." WHAT INNER HOOK??!! When I look into the "upper opening" all I see is a piece of rubber and a piece of metal . . .no hook, and certainly nothing that a screwdriver could fix. Help!! Does anyone know how to do this and could describe it better in a post than BMWusa did in it's manual?

THANKS!
    Sorry, I forgot to say that my car is an '01 330i.
  • cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    Xenon bulbs or non-Xenons?
  • treepushertreepusher Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone tried Aquapel glass treatment? Supposed to bond with the glass of the windshield, better vision in rain, etc. Wondering specifically about any problems with the rain sensors...

Thanks for any input.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Regardless of how well (or not) that any glass treatment bonds with the glass, it will not affect the rain sensor. Why? Simple, the rain sensor uses light to measure when to wipe. The concept is fairly simple; the system shoots a beam of infrared light through the glass at about a 45 degree angle. If the glass is dry, a certain amount of the light bounces back and the sensor measures that amount. If the glass is wet, then a lesser amount of light bounces back and the system "Wipes".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My headlights on Xenons, but the turn signal indicator (which I am trying to replace) is non xenon.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  • kamin99kamin99 Member Posts: 2
    i have 2003, 320 automatic transmission and recently it is been showing EML and Auto transmission Fault signs along with other dashboard lights . the car stops and once you turn it on again it drives but on with a limited capacity and all warning lights will stay on
    the dealer said it is an electric problem he has been trying for a week and now he has sent the diagnostic test to Germany as he has no idea to what is happening
    any one had similar issues
    tsl,

See if any of this info helps:

The hook needs to be pushed down but be careful, it is easy to break it. I believe they make repair kits that the dealer can sell you if you need to repair the broken hook.

http://www.my330i.com/mod2.php
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I know of several E39 Five Series owners who experienced problems similar to yours. In each case, replacing the battery cured the fault. It seems that the newer BMWs have electronics which get really confused by low system voltage.
  • amzamz Member Posts: 8
    I know what you mean. I had two rims damaged in matter of three weeks on my 2000 323i.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    the hook is deeper than you may think... I had trouble and had one of the guys at the service dept (at the dealership) show me how to do it (of course, he had a pretty long screwdriver to get at it).
    My 2000 323i was just 6 month after warranty when I started having problem with transmission (reverse gear). I brought car to the dealership, and was told that I need to replace transmission. This is after only 55K, not what I expected from BMW quality. After long negotiations dealer gave me 50% discount on parts and labor. It was very nice, but I was still very disappointed. I contacted BMW USA, and asked if they can help me with my repair. They promised to help, but never called back.
  • kamin99kamin99 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks div2 i'll discuss this with the dealer
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Ive seen upwards of 120k miles on E46 models .So hopefully yours is more of an isolated incident.Btw what was the price of the new tranny before your discount?

DL
    Price before discount was $4400. I found only on this forum 6 people, who had problems with transmission. They are all owners of 2000 3 series. I don't think it is just isolated incident. I would like to ask BMW if they have any data on reliability of 2000 transmissions on 3 series.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Hmm Steptronic ? You know my 99 Sport had the 5 Speed Non-Step,So I belive that was the 1st year..

DL
  • cargal2cargal2 Member Posts: 36
    Hi, Cargal2 reappears. Sorry about that. I reviewed some of the responses to my gas mileage issue. Thanks very much. I've been tracking it. I have about a 16 gallon tank (give a half gallon more, maybe). I've been getting 266 miles on one tank of gas, consistently. It comes up to about 17 and some change per mile. Nasty.

For the last several days I've been relying more on the autostick to try and increase my mileage, and also watching more of that little gauge under the tachometer (is that right?). In the drive mode, it seems more under stress. I try to keep it in the 5th gear, as much as possible. Now, I'm getting a reading about 21.5 city driving. Am I making progress, or am I just fooling myself? Can't stand having to fill up the gas tank so much.

New problem: I went to wash the car today. I asked if someone could check the tire pressure, because it seemed a little bumpy. Well for one, the $30 logo theft-deterrant valve caps fell off somewhere.

Second thing and most importantly -- the guy noticed two large bubbles in the right front sidewall. I didn't hit any curb on that side. He said it could burst on the road, if I wasn't real careful. I recognize that. The dealership was closed by the time I drove home.... I have a big appointment on Monday. Don't know what to do.

Sears tell me a Continental 205/50 R17/ 93V rated tire costs $200!!! They don't carry them in stock.

I don't think I want to get another Conti. I went to tire rack to read the reviews, and noticed that other bmw people have had bubbles in the sidewall. Someone told me this evening, I might even be able to have the tire replaced by the manufacturer. BMW Assist asked me whether I hit a curb....

The tire pressure was 35 pounds. I think one of the dealerships added a little too much air to all four tires, anyway. I usually keep them at about 33. On the other hand, I know it can be tough to really know unless it's dead cold. I can't quite do this myself, though.

I guess the only thing I might be able to do is find a tire store open tomorrow that might deal with Continentals and see if they'll take care of the tire? Or, should or could I just replace it with something else that's comparable, but less.

Gosh, I can't imagine having to spend so much on a new tire when the car only has about 15,900 miles. I only put about 3, or so thousand miles on it, since I got it.

Thanks!!!
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    My wife's brand new 3er had these bubbles in her sidewall after 6 mos. She fessed up to taking on a curb or two so I took advantage of the situation and bought a couple of tires that were much better than the contis that came on the car - Pilot Sport A/S. I put these on the rear and moved the rear contis up to the front- hoping she might take on a couple more curbs. But she's been good and riding around on two different brands of tires for the last 18mos. She doesn't drive much(7000 miles/yr) so we might be "two-setted" for a while!
  • alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    Hi Cargal2:
    I checked and the BMW site claims 19 mpg city and 26 for highway for a 325xi with automatic transmission. So your 17 mpg are in the ballpark of the "couple of miles" below EPA claimed value. You talk "5th gear" and then drive mode; I'm assuming your lil' red wagon is automatic. No, you are not fooling yourself by looking at your mpg gauge (of course, without distracting from looking the road).
    On the tire issue I 'd suggest remove your questionable tire with bubbles and replace it with the spare. That'll give you peace through your hectic monday. Then check your paperwork to see if you bought a road hazard warranty than you could enforce through your dealer or through the tire manufacturer. Sometimes one signs a lot of documents without realizing the value of them. Even without it, approach a Continental tire distributor and bring the tire. Explain that you did not curb the tire (er..could it had been at the carwash?). I have read in this forum that complaints against tire manufacturers are difficult to win -not impossible-, they seem to apply too many loopholes. My opinion is they make the claim process so cumbersome that seems designed to wear you off. Personally, I had to cancel a road hazard warranty after I discovered too many fine print gotchas... BTW last I checked your Continental 205/50R17/93V tire lists for $109 at the Tire Rack,plus shipping & handling. If all else fails, you may end up having to order your tire.
    As far as your stem valve caps, I also have the ones with the BMW logo. I tight them with a plier so no one can remove them manually (a.k.a. steal). These caps are important, try to replace them before dirt clogs your stem valves. I check my air pressure only once a week, on a sat or sun morning, like you say, with the tires cold. I bought a little air tank that I fill for free at any tire shop (Firestone, Walmart, etc,). If you haven't used your jack be careful. BMW jacks are famous for not being quite stable. Mine collapsed the only time I had to use it. (grrr..) I 'd suggest you either call Assist or take it to a gas station to avoid yourself the effort. Good luck.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,772
    You keep noting the size of your gas tank.. You can't compute mileage that way...

1) Fill up.. just until pump shuts off automatically..

2) Reset trip odomoter to zero

3) At next fill up, repeat 1), then note
    mileage on trip odometer and gallons of fuel purchased.

4) Divide mileage by gallons of fuel.

You can't estimate... I have a car with a 15.3 gallon tank, that never takes more than 12.5 gallons..

You live in New Jersey, right? They won't even trust you to pump your own gas, so I know this is all new to you...lol

Good luck,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You won't be able to increase your mileage by playing with your steptronic... Just put it in "D"...

I think the only problem is the calculation method (Call me Kreskin).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Man, thanks so much for the info. Now I realize I was pushing on the metal instead of the hook. I'm gonna try again today and I'll let you know if I'm successful.
    THANKS AGAIN!
    Tony
    Ok, I made the switch and all is fixed, thanks to your link. However, there was one casualty, the lower connecting arm broke. I put it back in place with only the upper arm holding it in place and it feels secure. . . .we'll see. . . .

Thanks again!
    TSL
  • nick250nick250 Member Posts: 4
    My Dad passed away a few months ago and I have the option of keeping his 2001 330xi auto tranny. I took it out for a long drive the other day and loved the car but I found the throttle tip in so sensitive that it was a pain to launch smoothly from a stop and to maintain a steady speed on the highway. I did a search on this forum and did not come up with any ideas on this problem. It was something I also noticed on a RWD 330i I took out for a test drive a few years ago. Am I the only one who has had this problem? Is there a fix? TIA

Nick
  • overthereoverthere Member Posts: 5
    I am looking to get an E46 99-2000 328 I/IS/Ci 5 spd (not the wagon, or 4wd). I have been trying to find this, but apparently there was a problem where the response through the steering was not "crisp" or accurate enough. Is this accurate, does this ring a bell with anyone? Is there something else I should be looking for in these cars? Anything to avoid? Something that WILL happen to these cars?

Thanks
    Dee
    The "steering problem" was with the '01 models.. they lightened the steering effort and as a result got complaints about lack of steering feel.. There was a free retro-fit, to change it back to the old way...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• overthereoverthere Member Posts: 5
    Great, thanks very much. Is there any site that I can read up on that would provide me these "basic" answers so I dont bug you guys all the time?
    Google "bimmer forums"

But, you aren't bugging us..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cargal2cargal2 Member Posts: 36
    Thanks Kreskin for all your help. I'm sorry that I have to keep asking questions.

I spent the entire day looking for a continental tire for the wagon, which has the "sport" package. Gosh, I wish I never got involved with low-profile tires. Not only are these babies expensive, but they're very, very tough to find.

Some dealers of Continental won't include road hazard insurance, because they know about the blistering in the sidewalls over little bumps and potholes.

Continental won't cover the tire, despite the fact I've only had it for about 3,000 miles. I took it to one of their dealers, and it was claimed that I must have hit a pothole. However, I was driving on the tire for 2 days, before I could get it checked out.

In any case, I've looked online about the tires. I'm disappointed with Tire Rack. By the time you're finished, it's just about the same as a BMW dealer.

If I go with 2 tires, instead of 1, with an AWD, can I get away with a different maker? Someone mentioned getting two Goodyear Eagles, but just two cost $440! I hear that they are better tires.

Believe it, or not I've found only one place that is a chain. They only have one of these tires in the entire state!!!

I hear the conti's are on backorder. I was thinking that I may want to switch over to a better tire, by this point, but at the most, I could only really afford 2, and that in and of itself, would be a stretch.

Thanks much for your thoughts!

Cargal
    Do you have a full size spare?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• heg32heg32 Member Posts: 10
    I have a brand new 330i sedan (250 miles) non-perfomance car. I feel some vibration in the steering wheel at around 40 to 50 mph. Is this normal? I am coming from a Lexus, so I am thinking that it just might me be the sport suspension on the BMW.
    I had a nasty vibration as well - 330i non-performance. It was due to three of the tires being out of round. Dealer said it was perhaps due to the tie down on the boat (?). Replaced the three tires and everything has been fine since.
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    My guess is that you have a tire that may have lost a wheel weight. I'd take it back to your dealer and have them balance the wheels.
  • heg32heg32 Member Posts: 10
    Update on my steering wheel vibration/shake question. As I said the car is brand new and i get the vibration over 20 mph. It also shakes when I hit the brakes over 20 mph. My local BMW garage said it is combination of a bad bushing and the crummy goodyear tires. Anybody dealt with this?
  • saint1saint1 Member Posts: 9
    On my 1998 318i the catalytic converter needs to be replaced (hear a terrible ratting sound). Do you know if aftermarket CC are any good or should I go with the original part. Also, does anybody know of a good website selling original BMW parts. THANKS in advance.
  • bgeyeguybgeyeguy Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know how to change/access the corner lights on my 325i, it is cracked will change from orange to clear...thank you brian
  • bgeyeguybgeyeguy Member Posts: 2
    thank you so much, that was fast..is there a separate sight for rear tail lights, what about after market light you find on ebay, are those ok

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33716&item=7963070285&rd- =1
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    What kind of mileage do you have on your '98 318i?
    My son has a 318ti of the same year. He received a letter from BMWNA about two years ago telling him that there was a few cars with premature demise of the cat converter, so they extended the coverage for 8 years and 100,000 miles. Since the engines used in both ti and i models are the same, you may be covered as well,
    if your car's mileage is within that limit.
    I was actually quite impressed with BMW's taking the responsibility to extend the warranty even we knew or heard nothing of the problem.
  • saint1saint1 Member Posts: 9
    I have 67000 miles - but I did not receive any letter from BMW. Maybe I will call and see if it will be covered. Thanks a bunch for the info
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    When upshifting my manual '04 325xi I often get a "clunk" sound and sensation, presumably coming from the gearbox. I can usually overcome it by shifting at higher revs, but many times it does it when it seems the rpm's should be more than high enough for an appropriate shift. I've always driven a stick- though never a Bimmer before- and have never had this issue. Has anyone had similar experience or any thoughts?
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Yeah, it's really easy. I switched my corner lights and side markers to clears in about 10 minutes. The side markers are actually a bit more difficult since you have to apply a lot of pressure in just the right way to get them securely clipped back in place.
  • sbrown64sbrown64 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a problem with my AM radio. The radio shrieks when the breaks are applied and the AM radio is on. I'm thinking this is a grounding problem. Does anyone know how to fix this problem - is something I can do myself?
  • ozzie01ozzie01 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 325i with original Continental 205/55/16 tires.
    Does anyone knows if it is OK to got to 225/50/16 instead?
    They are a perfect fit for the car, as long as they fit on your wheels...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    FWIW, I recently switched from a 225/50-16 to a 205/55-16 on my Club Sport. I based the decision on discussions with some guys who compete in CCA Club Racing. The 205/55 has virtually equivalent grip and weighs three pounds less per corner. That said, I'm running a high-strung four cylinder in a 2600 pound track rat-so I need to save weight-and unsprung mass-everywhere I can. As Colin Chapman used to say, "Simplify, and add lightness!" In your case you shouldn't have any fitment problems, but I'd still check with Tire Rack just to make sure.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    My airbag light has now come again -- this is the 3rd time in four months. [Car is '01 330i, and this is the only problem I've had with it].

The first time, the car had 49K miles and they replaced a seat cushion sensor, under warranty.

The second time, the car had 51K miles and they said that the resistance is set too high and they have to replace a wiring harness at a cost of $500!

As they reset the light and I forgot about this, I didn't get the work done (the part had to be special ordered).

Now, the car has 53K miles and the light just came on yesterday.

My question is-- should the dealer take care of this for free since I initially brought it in under warranty? If they try to push me to pay out of my pocket, do I have any recourse with BMWNA?
    As a last resort, is this something that an independent shop can do?

I'm a bit skeptical that the seat belt cushion was at fault to begin with.

Thanks.