Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dmarie1dmarie1 Member Posts: 1
    My brother bought me a 1995 318is red 2 dr for a graduation present and I have had more trouble than a little bit. I am now a graduate student with very limited funds and these parts prices are out of control. However, I do have a friend who will repair my car if i buy the parts so that the dealership doesn't get my money.My first question is, where exactly are the knock sensors located so that they can be repaired? How important is the air flow meter, will my car stop running? And is it true that you can figure out the diagnostic codes by pressing the accelerator without actually going to the dealership or a repair shop that will charge you an arm and two legs.
  • fcaofcao Member Posts: 31
    I begin to think that the air condition system of my 05 325i does have some problems, not just poor design or new car adjustment.

There are several symptoms:
    1.) Everytime after I switch-off the air condition, there is a musty smell come out of the vent persisting for several minutes. I orginally thought this should go away after a while. But not, even after 700 miles. And the funny thing is, it only happens for the ~ten minutes after I switch off the air condition each time.

2.) The air coming out of the vent is always kind of warmy, if the air condition is off, even when the outside temperature is quite chilly. (I always leave the temp setting between 72 and 75, and open the air circulation from outside)

3.) After I turn-off the engine following a short drive with air condition on, I can hear a not-too-loud but persisting "clicking" sounds coming out from somewhere inside the car, for few minutes after the engine is off and key is out. And, this sound doesn't happen if the drive was with the air condition off.

I searched the previous messages in this forum for this sort of problems. I found a couple of previously reported incidences seems similar (e.g. attached below), but no solution was mentioned.

648 of 1760 Air Conditioning by rshaw11 Apr 02, 2003 (5:57 pm)

I have had my 2002 325i for almost a year now and still can't figure out the air conditioning system. I have to keep the temperature set at 62 degrees, or lower to make the interior comforatble; when the center vent control is on the two blue dots the air gets louder and softer at different times, must be some type of air distribution system, but the manual doesn't explain it. After I shut off the air, I get a REALLY bad smell. And the car doesn't cool down without the air conditioner being on very well.

#649 of 1760 Air conditioning. by kdshapiro Apr 02, 2003 (6:22 pm)

I push the manual override to send the air through the center vents. Move the wheel on the center vents that contains the red and blue dots, downward past the notch to the locked position, until the three blue dots are in the center.

If your air doesn't blow ice cold after you press the snowflake button, bring it in. I keep the air at 69. Set the recirculate button to the position, where a green led is light on the left.

The softer/louder noise you hear is the automatic air distribution system.
  • branco327branco327 Member Posts: 24
    i have had my 2004 330 CI M for about 10 months now and recently just started hearing a vibration /rattling noise when going over bumps/rough areas. it sounds like it's coming from the sunroof area but i'm not sure. has anyone else had a similar problem or any suggestions on the source of the problem? thanks.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I picked up my new 325XiT on Saturday and yesterday (at 90 miles) the EML, Brake and ABS trouble lights went on. Of course I will be taking it back today but has anyone else experience this and what did they find to be the cause?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    It could be one of several things; probably a bad sensor or connection. This type of failure is referred to as an "infant mortality" by vehicle manufacturers. Electronics usually either fail almost immediately or have a long trouble free service life. I wouldn't worry about it; the SRS light illuminated on my 3er two days after delivery. The dealer did nothing but reset the light and it hasn't reappeared in nearly ten years and 96000 miles.
  • treepushertreepusher Member Posts: 16
    Had the same thing happen to me on a new '05 330i at 26 miles. I called BMW Assist, who suggested I shut down and restart the engine. Did so, the sensor/whatever apparently reset, warning lights went out, and have had no further problems. Good luck!
  • dwilliams1dwilliams1 Member Posts: 3
    I don't know if you can help me . i have a 316se 1.9 year 2000
    i have had it for 2 years with 18" m3 alloys on it.
    I started getting shaking from it last month when i braked so i had new discs pads , lower rear suspension arm bushes. still the shaking was there so it went in to bmw, they changed the steering column lower and upper because there was play in it.
    Still shaking, so i have just brought new 18" csl alloys and avon tyres and it is not as bad but still shakes.BMW do not know what it could be , it been on the jigs etc
    If i hit bumps in the road or the white lines it bounces through the steering wheel .this can happen at 40mph or 50 or 60mph it also wanders-please can any one help :sick:
    I have a 316se 1.9 year 2000
    Ihave had it for 2 years with 18" m3 alloys on it.
    Istarted getting shaking in the steering wheel last month when i braked and when driving between 30mph and 70mph so I had new discs pads , lower rear suspension arm bushes. still the shaking was there so it went in to bmw, they changed the steering column lower and upper because there was play in it.
    Still shaking, so i have just brought new 18" csl alloys and avon tyres and it is not as bad but still shakes.BMW do not know what it could be , it been on the jigs etc
    If i hit bumps in the road or the white lines it bounces through the steering wheel .this can happen at 40mph or 50 or 60mph it also wanders-please can any one help
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I just got the car back and they replace the "air mass meter" and told me that BMW knew of a problem with this part. You might want to check to see if you have a problem with this before you get caught with you parts down.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Mass airflow sensor.... Mine went last December... At around 23K miles..

Sensors, meters, etc.... definitely a weak point.. No problem under warranty.. hate to see what they cost otherwise...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• 3iowner3iowner Member Posts: 1
    I have the same "reverse gear" problem this morning, 323i 2000. Can someone give me some pointers? I talked to bmw customer service and they asked me to go the dealer for trouble-shooting.
  • mloseymlosey Member Posts: 5
    About 6mo. after I bought my new 330Ci, I noticed that the bottom front & back corners on both the driver & passenger door windows leaked water when I was driving in the rain with the sunroof vented/cracked. I have taken it to the dealership 4 times for it to get fixed. They have managed to fix one of the leaks but are now essentially telling me that there is nothing they can do & I need to change my driving style. I told them that I drove my previous Hyundai ($10K) and Mitsubishi ($25K) cars the exact same way & the windows did not leak. They are telling me that I am creating a vacuum when I crack the sunroof and the vacuum is pulling the water in. I can't understand why BMW can't seen to figure out how to fix this design flaw when other manufacturers have obviously figured it out. Has anyone else had similar problems? Does anyone else have the same model car and drive the same way with no window leaks?
    I have a 2004 330Ci. I have seen a similar leak on my car. I have also been having problems with my driver & passenger door windows leaking when I drive in the rain with the sunroof cracked/vented. I thought the foot well leak was associated with these other leaks. I have had my car in the shop 4 times now trying to get them to fix the leaks. They have only been able to tell me that it is the way the car is designed and I will have to drive with the sunroof completely closed. I have tried to tell them I have owned previous, non-BMW cars the exact same way and have had no problems with leaks. I have now entered a complaint with the Better Business Bureau in an attempt to get some better response.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    A couple of things occur to me:

1) Given that all of the four cylinder BMWs that I've rented in Europe have had smaller brakes than even the smallest that we can get here in North America, I suspect that the unsprung and rotational mass of 18" wheels is well beyond the design spec for a 316. As such, I'm guessing that you "Hot Spotted" (or "Hard Spotted" depending upon where you live) your rotors. Assuming that is the case, you will need to buy new rotors to temporarily eliminate the pulsing. I say temporarily because if you leave the 18s on your car, you will most likely need yet another brake job a year or two down the road.

2) I'm guessing (although I don't have any experience with an E46 316) that the 316 has a lighter weight suspension than say an M3 or a 330i SP, and as such, the extra mass in the wheels is what caused you to need to replace your suspension and steering components. Having said that, I don't think those work components had much (if anything) to do with your pulsing/shaking problem.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lovebmw330ilovebmw330i Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone know how to remove minor scratches on the wheel? I have the M-Double spoke rims and lightly scratched the rear one parking the car. The scratch is about 2" long.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    My gas gauge is faulty, only registers half full after fill up. Dealer service advised me that it is probably the sending unit that needs to be replaced. I have made an appointment, but failed to ask if the gas tank has to be dropped to get at the unit. Has anyone else had this problem? The service advisor acted like this was a common problem for the E46. My car is an 03 330i.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    The Better Business Bureau?? I'm not belittling the problems you've had with your car, and agree that this probably should not happen, but if it is a basic design problem then there is really not much that your dealer can do with it. If you want to complain, you'll have to look up someone in the engineering department in Munich ;) .
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    I'm pretty sure they will have to drop the tank.
    Nowadays the fuel pump is part of what is referred to as a Fuel Delivery Module (FDM) [insert your own words for the letters here] which also includes the float and sending unit.
    I wouldn't be all that worried about them having to drop the tank. It shouldn't be a big deal for a dealership.
    I'm not convinced it's the sending unit however. It could be multiple things that could cause an error in the reading. I'm curious as to what they eventually find out on it.
    Please keep us posted.
    On the E30 and E36 the gas tank is directly under the rear seat bottom cushion. Dropping the tanks on these platforms is unnecessary-just pull the seat cushion out and have at it. That's what a friend of mine and I did when the fuel pump went south on his 325is the night before the TSD Rally at 'Ofest 1999-after an extended Happy Hour no less :surprise:) .
    I stand corrected. Thanks div2. Sorry for the incorrect information.
  • brislance1brislance1 Member Posts: 87
    Thanks for the info on the gas tank. I hope the problem is the sending unit and not the gauge itself. I would imagine a partial dash removal if thats the problem. The gauge registers one half full when the tank is full, but seems to go down correctly as I use fuel. We shall see Monday. Thanks again.
    I would assume that the E46 tank is under the rear seat, but given Munich's recent penchant to fix things that aren't broken I wouldn't bet the farm on it...
    shipo
    Thanks for the advice
  • amzamz Member Posts: 8
    Sorry to hear it. But welcome to the club, you are going to be the 7th person on this forum with transmission problem (rear gear doesn't work). All people own 2000 3 series. My suggestion is talk to the dealer. If they tell you that you need transmission replacement, then ask dealer to contact BMW and see if you can get discount on repair. I got almost 50% from original price. Let me know what happens. Good luck.
  • 330blast330blast Member Posts: 49
    I have a 2001 330i with 68K miles on it. There are two major safety issues:

1. Starting early Feb. this year, my winshield wiper has stopped working for three times during the rain. Each time, the wiper worked fine when I turned it on, but after a while, it suddenly stopped working and totally lost all wiper actions regardless which position I put the lever at. One dealer where I did a major service ran a thorough diagnose, but could not find any problem. Other dealers told me that if I can not reproduce the problem, they can not fix it. But I don't know when it will happen. In the last several weeks, every time I tested the wiper, it worked fine.

2. My engine stopped at low speed. This is also an intermittent problem. It happened 3-4 times in the last 6 months. Each time, I was driving on a local road (not certain if I applied brake or not), all of a sudden, all lights came up and the car was dead. I had to restart the engine. I always warmed up my car and the weather in California is no where close to cold.

I love the car very much. However, these safety problems make me start to think of replacing it with a Japanese car (Acura TL or Infinity G35), which usually is more reliable, especially with electical parts.

Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • nmrtnmrt Member Posts: 56
    i just bought a new 2005 325i yesterday. i have noticed that even after leaving the car overnight (around 50F outside temperature), and while turning the car on in the morning the engine coolant gusage has not gone all the way to the coldest. it is in the higher part of the blue shaded portion of the guage. is this normal? while driving though, it stays in the middle so i guess it is not oveheating. the car has 100 miles on it. is this a normal occurence during break in or is this a normal property of synthetic oil? should i be worried? my jetta vr6 coolant temp woudl go way fast to 0 when i left it out even for 3 hrs. please advise.
    thanks
  • jevansjevans Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 325i and when my airconditioning is turned on, my engine idles erratically. When I am driving the car it is not that noticeable but when I come to a stop, the car surges forward like it is going to "take-off". This problem only happens when the airconditioner is on position. I have had 2 BMW (Certified) Repair shops try to correct the problem. One of them took the Idle Valve Control off and replaced it with a new one and it made it worse so they put the old one back on. At this point, both repair shops are at a loss as to what the problem is or how to repair it.....has anyone had this problem or know of something I might be able to do to correct it? Thanks
  • jevansjevans Member Posts: 2
    Did you ever figure out what the problem was? I am having a similar problem with my car surging when I come to a stop and the engine idle being erratic when the air conditioning is in the "on" position. The mechanic changed out my idle valve to a new one and it didn't help the problem. They are at a loss? Let me know if you ever got a resolution to your problem and what it is was. Thanks.
  • jasondjasond Member Posts: 28
    My wife has got a 2003 330 xi. She only uses it for shopping and taking the kids to school so she's chalked up only 6,000 miles after 2 years. The dealership told her that all that was needed was for them to change the oil and oil filter. They say that nothing else is needed. However, with previous vehicles (such as a Lexus ES300 also at low mileage) after two years a fairly extensive service was required according to the manual. Are there any other items that my wife needs to get checked at 2 years and 6,000 miles? If necessary, we'll pay for the extra items just to keep the vehicle running well. I'd appreciate the advice from the BMW experts at this site. Thanks, Jason
    The only other items that I can think of off of my head are complete flushes of your cooling and braking systems, and your dealership is responsible to provide those to you as part of the maintenance program as well.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jamesspotjamesspot Member Posts: 57
    Shipo,
    Newer E46 vehicles use BMW "lifetime" coolant. While I don't expect it to last 20 years, changing it at the end of the 4 year free maintenance cycle (which doesn't include coolant changes) should be fine.
    The car definitely gets a brake system fluid change at 2 years from production date along with the annual oil change. I would get new wipers, too, as two years in the sun will wear on the rubber inserts.
    Jim
    My Bad! My very early E46 required the 2-Year coolant flush, I didn't realize that that had been changed. Thanks for the "Heads-Up". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    not sure about #1, but #2 could be due to bad coils...? perhaps an independent mechanic can check it out for you.
  • smokinlilsmokinlil Member Posts: 3
    Hi - could anyone tell me which are the best years from the 90's for a bmw 325 i series? I am planning on using the car for regular driving, as well as learning to race a bit, and I am wondering which are the best years for racing/reliability.
    any info would be really appreciated
    Do you have any suggestions on how I can find someone to complain to in the engineering department in Munich? The dealer had the field engineer from BMW North America come look at the car last week, and he essentially said that there was nothing that could be done. He was not going to press the issue any farther, and I couldn't get a name from him so that I could go any further with the issue.
    I'd look at a 1993-1995 sedan. You'll want to reinforce the anti-roll bar mounts and rear subframe mounts if you plan to do a lot of track events.
    Why not just drive it with the sunroof closed? (written by an engineer who gets to answer complaints like this).

Seriously though, if you're only getting water in the footwells with the sunroof cracked while it's raining, it seems like there is a pretty easy fix to this.

It would be impossible (not to mention pointless since the E90 is now out) to redesign the car because you have the sunroof open while it's raining.
  • treepushertreepusher Member Posts: 16
    I'm no expert, but my '05 330i coolant temp shows the same thing, top of the blue, when started up after over-nighting in mild temps. Far as I can tell, it's fine.
  • hsramdivadhsramdivad Member Posts: 1
    My wife drives a 2001 325i. We have never had good radio reception on the AM side. The dealer ship said it was a faulty antenna and replaced the rear window. Seemed to be better for awhile but it has gotten worse and we can barely use the AM side of the radio because of the static. Anyone else had this problem?
    While it was never really an issue for me because I usually listened to FM, my 1999 328i had fairly poor AM reception as well. I heard somewhere that there was some kind of a resistor that BMW had developed that was supposed to take care of this problem. I think that my dealership might have put it on, and I even sort of remember my AM reception improving, but once again, I never really paid too much attention to the AM side of the dial.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 330xi2005330xi2005 Member Posts: 7
    I just bought a new manual 2005 330xi. I have put about 1000 miles on it so far. I have just noticed a strange groaning noise when I shift from 4th to 5th gear or from 6 th to 5th gear while accelerating on a hill. Has anyone experienced this so far and if there is a remedy. I am going to be contacting my dealership soon.

thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Upshifting while accelerating, going up a hill? Maybe you are upshifting too soon? You might be lugging the engine (too high a gear, too low RPM for load).

Just a thought..

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

A lot of the E39 5ers had a similar problem with AM static. The source is often bad antenna and or ground connections at the rear window or at the radio. Hope this helps.
    thanks so much for taking the time to reply - could you tell me why you recommend the 93 - 95 over other years?
    and would the reinforcing things you mentioned be better than or in addition to a roll-cage?
  • robs_placerobs_place Member Posts: 24
    I have 10,000 miles on a leased 2003 325i and approaching it's 22nd month . At about 8,000 miles and 18 month I asked my local BMW service dept. if I should to change the oil and they said no that I should wait until it was closer the 14,000 miles. Not feeling comfortable with old oil I called again at 22 month and 10,000 miles and emphasized that the car is approaching it's 2nd year without an oil change. This time they said that oil changes should be at 14,000 or 1yr which ever comes first. So because of this oversight (mines and the service dept.), the car's first oil change will be done after almost 2 years on the road.

Any thoughts regarding warranty, lease terms and longevity of the vehicle ? (I'll most likely keep it at lease end)

Regards,

Rob
    1992s had a lot of teething problems; from 1996-1998 the 325 was replaced by the 328. The reinforcements are needed in addition to the roll cage because stiffer bars, springs, and shocks-along with the added stresses of track driving-can actually tear the mounts out of the body.
    The oil should be changed at least annually-BMW calls for this and the dealer should know that.
    thanks again Mr B, you've been really helpful and seem very knowledgable!
    Happy to help; let me know what you find!
  • teach3teach3 Member Posts: 23
    gotta problem

I have recently become aware that immediately after I start my car -- before I start moving -- the beep one hears every now and then from the steering wheel comes on exactly 8 times -- I don't recall this happening when I first got the car (its 6 mnoths old) -- no scary lights come up on the dashboard, everything seems normal -- what does the beeping signify(if anything)? or is it the case that the beeping is normal and I've just been off in another world...