Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• agrawalanuragagrawalanurag Member Posts: 16
    Hello,

This is happened to me yesterday. I am not sure now what to do. My car is 2000 323i BMW and has 60.5K on it.

Reverse gear just stopped working when I tried to take the car out of parking lot. Somehow with help of few people I could get the car out and parked in my friends apt complex who lived near by.

I think we have to join all the forces together who have this problem and then handle it. So far in last 1 year I already paid $1500 on couple of different problems: Fan stopped working, Ac had problem, Stearing column had some bracket broken. I am not sure where RELIABILITY word is in BMW brand.

I live in Sunnyvale, CA area.
    It happened to me yesterday. While trying to take out of parking from a shopping mall. With help of couple of friends I could take it out and it is now sitting in my friends apt parking lot.

My car is 2000 BMW 323i and it has 60.5K miles on.

Looks like above 60K this is the problem coming up. I had paid $1500 over few repairs in last 8 monhs: Fan stopped working, Stearing wheel column had some braket broken, etc etc.... And now reverse gear stopped.

We all who are having troubles may have same batch of cars which have issues. We all should join together to talk to BMW.

I dont know where RELIABILITY word in BMW brand.

I am really pissed.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    At five years and 60K miles I'm guessing the car is out of warranty. Who did you buy your E46 from? How many owners has it had? Did you have a PPI performed by a good BMW tech? I take it that you haven't found a good indie shop and thus you run to the dealer for every problem. And let me guess, you don't belong to BMW CCA and therefore you get no discounts for parts and/or labor, right? In any case, I believe your experience is atypical; over the past 24 months maintenance AND repair costs on my 1995 E36(96K) and 1997 E39(122K) have amounted to less than $1500-exclusive of tires.
  • xitfanxitfan Member Posts: 1
    Indeed, your poor gas mileage may be owing to it's newness. We have an '04xiT and the mileage we just got on a long (highway trip) was almost 30mpg (so the computer says) I have yet to check it with old fashioned math. We have about 17K miles on the car and it has been great for all around travel. I remember when we first got it, the mileage was in the low 20s and in winter driving when the temps were below freezing, the mileage was again in the low 20s. Do you have an automatic or manual? Our's is a manual 5 speed and I think may get a little better mileage, performance, etc. It should get better and driving habbits might also be a factor. I've noticed that more aggressive driving of the xiT yields lower mileage, but we've never gotten lower than 20mpg, even around town driving, hills, etc. Also, are you using the 93 octane??? I've never put anything but 93 in and if you're using 87 or 89, this may also decrease the engine's efficiency.
    Div2,

You have used several abbreviations here which totally confused me.

I bought the car brand new in 2000. After 4yrs warranty is over, car is showing its true colors. I am now thinking to replacing it with reliable japanees car.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    They have their share of issues as well. No brand will be perfect, regardless of where they originate.

Wish I had answers for your problems, but I don't. My BMW had one issue 1 MONTH after I bought it, and it was taken care of promptly. My windshield cracked due to intense heat in the Mojave desert a couple of years ago. They fixed it as well. My window actuators went bad at 50,050 miles and the dealer replaced them even though the warranty expired. Other than those small issues, I have had no problems with my 2002 325xi. And I mean NO problems other than regular maintenance (brakes, oil, tune up, etc).

-Paul
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    Thanks for your reply. Mine is an automatic and I'm sure that reduces gas mileage a little. But with a 5-speed automatic it shouldn't be a lot - maybe a mile or two. Currently around town we are getting about 17-18 and about 23-24 on the highway. I asked my dealer and he said that's about as good as it gets which if true is disappointing. But you are ding much better (albeit with a std transmission). My driving habits haven't been too good since during break in you are supposed to vary speed on the open road. I will be finished with break in soon so that should help. And yes I use only 93 octane - wouldn't think of putting anything else in.
    Good luck with your Far Eastern Auto; I'm sure it will be Nirvana on wheels.
  • gatorfan2gatorfan2 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up a 2004 325xi yesterday. It was a "Loaner" so I am the 1st owner. I have the remainder of the initial BMW warranty (4yrs/50,000) which will expire early 2008. I also get the BMW Certified Warranty which adds another 2 years (but does NOT cover scheduled maintenance). I am thinking long and hard about buying the BMW extended warranty offered from the dealer ($1600) which adds 2 years after my 4/50,000 as it coveres scheduled maintenance. It is my understanding that the service at 55,000 will cost nearly as much as the warranty.

Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Also, any suggestions for removing the huge airbag sticker from my dash trim? I'm afraid of damaging the wood trim and leaving sticky residue.

Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    $1600 sound awfully high for the maintenance extension.. It might be higher for AWD, but the last price I heard was $995..

Either way, you can buy it at any time before your original maintenance plan expires.. I would wait.. Almost anything can happen before then.. But, since you have the extended warranty, if that time does come, I would definitely buy it, as you will be going to the dealer for warranty work.

Check around, though... your dealer sounds high, and any dealer can sell it to you... You can even do it over the phone on your credit card.

Enjoy your new car!!
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Just peel the sticker off; any residue can be safely removed with a product such as "Goo-Gone".
    After talking to BMW NA I am getting 50% off in labor+parts from the dealer for transmissiont replacement.

I expected people in this forum to come together who have faced this same problem. It is real hard to convince BMW that this is becoming a 'chronic' problem.

I hope everyone who faced the problem so far will come forward. We all together can make a difference.
  • quarlesailorquarlesailor Member Posts: 2
    Sorry to hear you had problems. I have a 325i 2002 purchased new via ED. I loved the trip to Germany...the car and plan to buy a new one next spring the same way. My car has 53000 miles and has received a new set of tires, new set of brakes and two new front signal lite bulbs (first replaced by the dealer under warranty, the second replaced by me from a spare laying in my garage...it's a standard 1156 bulb). And lastly I replaced a headlite bulb (halygen) which cast $9. Plus of course a couple of oil changes. My wife drives a 2003 Z4 and has had no problems but only has about 16000 miles since it is stored winters. Both are only adult driven (we are 50) but I have had both on the track via the local BMW club car clinics.....that was fun. So in about 10 months my 325i will be up for sale with about 68000 miles on it so I can plan a trip to Germany in May. Best of luck... :)
  • rifrif Member Posts: 1
    Does not seem atypical if many individuals with the same make, year and model have the same problem. This exact problem happened to me this week. I have 2000 BMW 323i with under 50K miles and reverse just stopped working. I guarantee I am not driving home from work in reverse or shifting down to reverse on the freeway. Of those 59K miles I estimate 2 miles max are in reverse. I searched on web and have found many other with the same problem. Anyway you put it, under 50K miles and need a new transmission. I dont care if someone drove it on a dirt road and never changed transmission fluid. Modern car needing a tranny under 50K. Makes it worse it has been dealer serviced since bought.
  • varegsvaregs Member Posts: 2
    I own an '01 325i and used to have problems with the turn signal lights frequently burning out. At first, I simply drove to BMW everytime I needed a new bulb and they usually replaced it free of charge. Finally, I mentioned the frequency of the lights needing to be replaced when I was having the car serviced. A problem was found (I'll have to go back to my service documents to see what the exact problem was) and fixed...I haven't had a turn signal burn out since.
    I had to have my alternator replaced at about 55,000. I don't know if this is normal or not...it was a bit of a pain because I took the car in to have the alternator checked when my battery died. The computer check showed no problem with the alternator and BMW simply replaced the battery. The next day, the new battery was dead so I took the car back to BMW. After the technician performed a MANUAL check, they found that the alternator was bad.
  • akafinewineakafinewine Member Posts: 1
    2001 330CiC push button control panel
    When the front window defroster is activated it comes on full blast and its all or nothing.
    No reduction via the fan control.
    Anyone with some info on this
    thanks
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I posted the following in post number 28553 over on the 3-Series discussion:

What I like about the BMW HVAC controls is that you can select the "Defrost" program (top right button) which uses the compressor in combination with "gonzo max tornado" fan speed, or simply direct air to the windscreen (compressor optional depending on the Snowflake button) by using the top left Airflow button. I cannot think of any other manufacturer that offers that flexibility. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I hear you saying, "Who cares?" Well, I do. There are plenty of times when the windscreen needs to be demisted just a little and the need for the extra dry air from the compressor is unnecessary, and the last thing I need is more dry air being directed at my eyes (thus demisting my them too). ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • amt7565amt7565 Member Posts: 165
    I am not even going to even explain how I got this scratch-

I have a new 330i Saphire black. I happen to have a very thin scratch about 6 inches long on the roof close to the sunroof. Seems like only the paint is scratched and it is not that deep.

How should I go about repairing this? Dealer? What is the process the dealer would follow for repairs? How much do you think it would cost?

Any advise is appreciated.
    Thanks.
    AMT-
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Car wash wand ? :X

Just becareful to not be tempted to get some rubbing compound and go to work. I would not go to dealer.They will sub out any work and ull be paying for it. Id ask around for a good detailer to see if its in the clear or not and go from there.

Sorry to hear :(
    It was not the car wash. I don't plan to wash it there.

Plano downtown has a wierd railway intersectioin. It was lunch and traffic was blocked and the rail guard came down on the roof(No, I was never in any mortal danger, I was not even close to the tracks). If I had stayed put, the rail guard would have bounced back, but I pulled in front, causing the scratch. It's minor and barely noticable, but like to have it done anyway.

Where do I find a detailer? A body repair shop? Also, since the paint ois Saphire, would they have it with them?

Thanks.
    AMT-
    Good ol Dart. PPW and 190 rail malfunction all the time,. Did it actually get down to primer ? or you think it needs paint work ? If its not deep and some thing light that could be buffed out., but i would prolly not go to those car wash detailer guys, find you a good independent. Since we are not allowed to advertise on this board i wont say much more.

Good Luck,
    DL
    What? We are not even allowed to recommend a detailer here? That can't be....for example, if we write here that we bought our Bimmer at such and such a store, that itself is a form of advertisement and those are allowed aren't they?

I really don't know anything about paint or primers. I can see the scratch and the grey color of the indentation. But it definitely did not get to the bottom of the paint or the roof itself.

Thanks for trying to help.
    AMT-
  • clark3clark3 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 330i that I have treated with loving care; however at 39,500 miles I was told by my dealer that the driver side front lower control arm was worn and since they should be replaced in pairs the cost would be $1100. This seems like an unusual repair for a sedan. Any ideas or experience?
  • abnkouriabnkouri Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 323i sedan. I have looked in the owners manual about fluids and the only one not covered is the ATF. It looks like there is a dip stick but I don't want to add if it isn't needed. I have read earlier msgs about only Dextron III or Mobile 1 ATF only. Any suggestions or should I go to a dealer and get the service done?

Thanks for any help.

abnkouri
    Yes, needing a new control arm at that mileage is unusual. That said, my E39 5er needed a left side tie rod at @65K-though the right tie rod is still going strong at 121K, so go figure. In any case, the replacement cost seems very high; I'd check with local CCA members and track down a good independent tech, who can almost certainly perform the work for hundreds less...
    Your transmission does not have a dipstick; the ATF level is checked by removing a fill plug on the side of the transmission after the fluid has reached a specified temperature. BMW used to call the ATF a "Lifetime fill", but now advises a 100K mile change interval. If your 3er was built prior to 3/00 you should have a GM transmission which requires BMW fluid PN 83 22 0 026 922. After 3/00 the tranny is a ZF which calls for BMW fluid PN 83 22 9 407 807. In any event, there should be a label on the transmission specifying the correct fluid. Neither ATF is inexpensive so expect to pay upwards of $400 or more for a proper service. If you plan on keeping the car much past 110K I would change the ATF in the 75K-85K range.
    Thank you. What is a CCA member and how do I find one?
    You need to join BMW CCA-the BMW Car Club of America. One of the many benefits of membership is the fact that many dealer and independent shops offer discounts of 10-20 percent on parts and/or labor. Join online and then contact the chapter in your area.
  • kasperghostkasperghost Member Posts: 72
    BMW's are of above average relability. I'd have to hunt for it on the net; a study was released showing Honda as having 200 repairs per 1000 cars over 5 years. BMW rated 250 repairs per 1000 cars over 5 years.
  • grant75grant75 Member Posts: 2
    Happened to me Friday night!! I have a 323 2000 convertible only 49k miles! Won't reverse. Got the call that the transmission needs to be replaced!! Luckly it's under the certified warrenty but still. What's going on with the 2000 323s??

Let me know how every one turns out. :mad:
  • grant75grant75 Member Posts: 2
    Just happened to me too!! 2000 323i convertible with 49k miles!! Need a new transmission!! We need to call BMW!!

Any luck with you all??
  • potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    Can I assume that the "no reverse" problem is limited to automatics?
    As I suggested earlier in this forum, this model year 2000 323I with automatic steptronic has problem. It will come up around 50K miles.

I am talking to BMW NA and need more number of people to convince folks that it is a manufacturing issue. I had a talk with local BMW repair shop. Guy told me that it is mfg. problem and I should talk to dealer only.

All who have this problem should gather the force. We together can make BMW to pay for their worse quality of product.

If we all agree on the fact that it is indeed a problem, we should request this forum's caretaker to create a sub-cateogry so that every one can see how many such issues are present together.

Please file issue in complaints.com as well. They are looking at lot of issues together.
    I strongly urge every one who is having problem or have had problem with reverse gear, to file complains in:

http://consumeraffairs.com

They will take the case when there are several people affected by same problem. This is definitely a mfg. problem.
    "All who have this problem should gather the force"
    Ahhh...
    A Jedi Master you must be. Defeating the Dark Side of Munich an easy job it will be not.
    Thanks again. I will join BMW-CCA and follow your advice. My dealer has called twice since last Friday (This is Tuesday) and is offering to do the work for half price.
    I think that it's interesting the dealer is now offering half-off. I wonder why he didn't quote a fair price to begin with...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Funny you are

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    div2, the funny side I see in you.
    I read those and began to think I was in the Jeep Wrangler forum! :) I know on Jeeps, those are easy to swap out yourself. How difficult would something like this be for an E46?

-Paul
  • paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    It's kind of interesting to see how many BMW forum members also contribute to the Jeep forums.
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    okay, '01 330i with manual tranny and getting close to Inspection II (58K miles):

- the manual says to not change the transmission or differential fluid ever;
    - independent mechanic says to change these at 60K with Inspection II
    - dealer's Insp II doesn't cover these items.

What do other people recommend and/or have done?
    Your mechanic is right on the money. I follow the same schedule on my 1995 Club Sport; in fact, that is the interval BMW recommended back then. Some people recommend 30K changes but I doubt that the more frequent changes provide a significant benefit.
    Anyone can advise on how to prevent water spot buildup? My apartment sprinkler system is ruining my car.

Thanks
    AMT-
  • iz4detailiz4detail Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone!! I bought my first Bimmer 3 months ago! It is a 2004 330Ci Orient Blue. Beautiful Car!!!. I have a question regarding the Oil dipstick in this car which I keep getting varying answers from different dealerships. Anyway the dipstick
    looks something like this 0----------[[[[[-----]]]]]]----]]]]]]}]> .The dipstick has 3 plastic segments with bare wire/metal in the middle. There are no indicators for high and low levels. Additionally, there are no etchings to indicate levels. This drives me crazy!!! Being somewhat "anal", I like knowing where the oil level is and keep it at a certain point. FYI, this car was built in 01/04....I guess last one before the 05 models came out. Oh, one additional item, this stick looks nothing like the one in my owner's manual. Anyway, I would appreciate any help and/or feedback regarding this issue. Thanks
  • gojuicegojuice Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 323 convertible with a manual top. The car has 56k miles with no significant problems. However, I have noticed that the deck lid that comes down on the folded convertible top has several spots where the simulated leather covering is separating from the substrate and forming bubbles about the size of a quarter. Has anyone had similar experiences with their convertibles. any advice on how to repair?
    Umm,

-- remove said sprinkler head, plug and replace hole with sod.

Seriously though, A good wax/polish will help protect your paint, and make it easier to clean. But there is nothing i know of that would prevent hard water spot's on a Black car.

DL
  • sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Thanks... any preference for Redline vs. OEM fluids?

I do find it odd that BMW does not recommend changing these (as it would be outside the free maintenance period).
    Well, as a practical matter you rarely see a BMW manual transmission or final drive fail unless it has been abused and/or run low on lubricant. I didn't change the final drive oil in my wife's E39 until it hit 99K and it is still quiet and problem free. I like to use the factory final drive oil on cars with limited slips. On an open diff I'd run any good synthetic-I prefer Mobil 1. As for the transmission, I like Mobil 1 ATF but the factory fluid or Redline D4 should work just as well.
    I see your id, and I see myself. That used to be my userid when I worked at a previous employer.

Go figure...my BMW and Jeep are both AWD/4WD AND the same color too! I need to get some pics of them side by side. Though I doubt the LCA's on the BMW will let it flex too much. :)

The BMW gives me the nice ride and the luxurious feel. I love the Wrangler just as much, but for totally different reasons. It is simple and rough. Totally opposite from the BMW.

-Paul