Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bmwmadbmwmad Member Posts: 1
    Just lost my reverse gear in my 2000 323ci steptronix transmission the dealer here in Irvine Ca, said it is goin gto cost me $5000
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I find it verrrrrrry interesting that a number of "my transmission lost reverse" posts have suddenly appeared-and virtually all of them have come from individuals have never posted on Edmunds before.
    Coincidence?
    I think not.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Not only that but Ive seen several early production E46's with well over 100k on the clock trouble free. Not to say that a few of the over 500k E46 sold have not developed some problems, but i share your suspicions.

DL
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Yeah.. don't get me wrong.. I'm not surprised that some BMW automatics have problems.. But, these posts do seem sort of similar...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Like you all, I'll be the first to admit that BMWs are not problem-free, but this latest "epidemic" of faulty automatics looks contrived. I've seen similar things happen on a couple of the Jeep boards.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    It seems that there is a spate of "First and only post" reports of transmission failures for various models from various marques all over the TownHall and elsewhere on the internet. I wonder of Edmunds is going to once again show the total number of posts a member has made when we look at their profile. I saw this feature for about five minutes last year and then it was gone. If we had it here, we would be able to better judge the veracity of certain claims made by posters.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I'm afraid seeing that statistic next to my name would make me ill....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Hehe!

Member Name: kyfdx
    Number of Posts: 9,482 posts

;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    That's it....

I'm going home now.. Plus, if my boss sees that, I'm probably fired... ;)

I've got tickets to the Reds game tonight, anyway..

How did you find that?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• agrawalanuragagrawalanurag Member Posts: 16
    I have got it fixed for 50% off from dealer. I have also filed complaints in consumeraffairs.com. Please file complaint there.

It will help every one.
    Take it easy... Take a few deep breaths... It was just a joke, I'm figuring you probably only have half that many posts... Errr, no, that was a joke too. ;-)

All seriousness aside, I have no idea how many posts you have here, or div2 or anybody else here in the TownHall (including myself) for that matter. I'm just wondering, it seems that the statistics are available. :confuse:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Dear Div2,

How iranic it could be that 2000 323I for most people touching 50K now and failing.

This is what I indicated ealier as well that it is a chronic problem. All posts would look same as problem is same ;)

I hope you understand everyones frustration for buying an expensive car which gives up tranny at 50K.

Searching google will give more insight into that even in Canada some have got this issue.

Sooner or later it is going to hurt BMW.
    You did a nice job formatting it.. You had me sold..

You had me doing the math... 28 months, 350 posts per month... seemed about right.. lol.

I'm pretty sure they do have that info.. I bet one of the Hosts could tell us.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Shipo was off by 2K. Make that 32 months x 242 and you'll be close.

And now I'll slide in a request that you stay on topic. ;)
    Thanks.. I feel a lot better now... lol.

Getting back on the BMW topic...

I wonder how many of those posts are in forums linked to BMWs? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Oh, don't worry-you've got me convinced- it's just "iranic" that I never noticed it before.
    It seems that every person who has reported one of the mythological "reverse gear gone" incidents in this forum are people who have just registered at Edmunds-and their complaint is the very first post that they make. For example, you haven't even been a member for two weeks. In contrast, most of the "regulars" have been here for six months to five years. Consequently, I think you will find that it takes a while to build up significant credibility in this forum. Iranic sadly, but true...
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    I would like a XM radio in my '05 325XiT but it came only with Sirius which I didn't get. And I don't want one of those XM Radios that you stick on the dash and run wires to the lighter and to a dash mounted antenna.

I just found out the XM now has something called a "Universal Tuner for Satellite-Ready Car Stereos" that requires dealer install and works with the existing radio. And they make one for BMW's!

Has anyone looked into this or bought one and what is your experience with it?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...it's "iranic" that "breaks" don't fail more often, don't you think?

Wish I had a buck for every misspelling of those things that retard the car from speed on the umpty-ump number of boards I follow on Edmunds. I could afford a new E90 and have some change. Do brakes break? Now and then...
    Two more of my faves:
    "front bumber"
    "gas peddle"
  • potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    I'm partial to: "rediculious" and "definately".

Oh, and to keep this on topic...

I'm over 100k miles on my '95 318ti. It's been suggested that I replace the oxygen sensor. Does that sound right?
    BMW does call for an 02 sensor change at 100K, but most everyone I know waits until it fails-as indicated by the CE lamp.

Here's one I hadn't seen before-someone in one of the SUV topics is having problems with his "idol control valve".
  • potemkinpotemkin Member Posts: 195
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll be a contrarian and go ahead and replace it. (Seeing as I've been spending my weekends fixing her up... and I've already ordered a new one.)

Any opinion on changing the oil in the 5-speed gearbox? What about the differential? I know BMW says these are "life-time" things, but I'm suspicious.

Here's one I see all the time -- forum posters who do quick-fix repairs using duck tape.
  • dathomasdathomas Member Posts: 3
    Is there a conversion kit for a 325Ci A/C from the old system to the new? Anyone know what the conversion price might be? I live about 60 mi NE of Detroit. Thanks!
    The 1995 ti service schedule calls for changing the transmission and final drive oils every second Inspection II; that is the schedule I normally use. If I track the car frequently I change the fluids every inspection II. I run Mobil 1 ATF in the transmission and Mobil 1 gear oil in the final drive. I suspect equivalent Redline or factory oils would do just as well.
  • wla10000wla10000 Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if I can (need) to purchase extra paint protection since I will be ordering one soon? Thanks
  • himisilohimisilo Member Posts: 2
    robert

save some money on parts and join the BMWCCA largest car club in the world and dedicated to BMW.. slick magazine and hudreds of enthusiasts and club gatherings around the country.

dealers offer a 10% discount on parts with membership..which can pay for your membership with a few purchases
  • mjday1972mjday1972 Member Posts: 77
    I have a small dent in the rear quarter panel of my 2005 325i. Does anyone here have any experience with paintless ding repair and their BMWs? I'm sure it will be okay, I just wanted to check with those in the know.

Thanks!

Mike
  • gojuicegojuice Member Posts: 2
    I just had a ding on my 323 rear truck lid repaired by Dent Dr. for $84.00 including tax. The repair was perfect. I can't tell where original dent was. Of course the original painted surface can not be broken to insure a quality job.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    I had a dent the size of a quarter removed from the upper ridge (it's supposed to be harder along ridges and creases) of my passenger door last month. Dr. Dent did it in the Chicago area for $100 and it's perfect. I wish I hadn't waited 2 years to have it done.
    I am not sure why people are thinking reverse gear problem is mythological. I think they are afraid to take it against their love of life ;)

My car had failures and few others had in the same forum. Not every one is true enthusiastic about their car or cars to an extent that they join a forum to chat about it.

We all who have posted our first msg here have joined for same reason - looking for help, support and knowing more people who have had faced same problme. I thought this forum is to bring about BMW problems and suggest best possible solution to the members.

It is higly disappointling to see that *being credible* one has to be in the list of "regulars" for at least 6 months. You folks instead of making someone feel comfortable about joining a new forum (for whatever cause), prefer to drive him/her away.

I suggest a change to this forum's title from '
    BMW 3-Series Owners: Problems & Solutions' to 'BMW 3-Series Owners: Problems & Solutions - Only for members regular for 6 months and older'

Be open, listen and accept. If you cannot suggest a solution or be helpful in any manner or means, please keep yourself out of it. This will give more meaning to the forum as well.
    Like it or not, those who make their first-and often only-post a litany of endless woe simply don't get taken seriously.
    Tell you what, why not post a few scans of the dealer service orders that reference the problems you've been complaining about?
    I am sure after that you would render your services to help out others in more peacefull way ;)

Wish you a wonderful day.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    on the web if you think this one is too hostile. All too often, people often post their problems on this forum, never respond to additional inquiries about said problem, then never post if/how it was resolved or what the ultimate outcome was.

In those cases, people are usually labelled as trolls to stir up trouble, then just vanish. So people here might be a bit reserved about something that has been used as a troll topic before.

div's suggestion about posting a scan of the results would probably get your further in helping provide you with a solution.

If you are offended or upset about the behavior here, please feel free to try other forums on the net, but I'm 99% sure that they will not be as nice as people here are. If you think I'm kidding you, just check some of them out. You can do a search for E46 forum on the net to find all kinds.

-Paul
    Thanks a lot for clearing up somethings. Lets not be personal. There is nothing personal here. It is for car and that is 3 series BMW ;)

However I did not like someone saying problem is mythological. I have service records to back up at least my claims. For stollers I cannot help. People come to a place look for solution, does not get any response during same day and think it is worthless... moves on... It is patience issue rather than trust. I am very positive that all those had problems or will not have any reason to throw dirt on BMW in some forum. And they know as well that BMW does not care either.

You are indeed correct, there are folks who never responded back after first msg. I went thru lot of postings in this forum to search thru solution for reverse gear problem. It is encouraging to see someone else faced it. At the same time disappointing to have no answer back from.

I have got my car fixed for 50% support from BMW NA and got it back from dealership last Friday. It runs great. Although trust on BMW's quality definitely went low over last one year with constant issues I am having.

This is why I joined the group to see if you all honorable members have had issues so often. Or it is just my car. One more reason to join was to direct people to file complaints to formal bodies which at some point may or will take some action should problem become a larger issue.
    and I'm glad to see your car is running well again. My 2002 has been near flawless and I haven't experienced any gearing issues at all. From the instances I have heard resolution about, once it is fixed, it hasn't been a problem again. To me, that speaks quite well that it was addressed and resolved. Unfortunately, it wasn't as prompt or pain-free as you'd like.

Please feel free to visit the regular 3 Series boards as well. Your insights about the good and the bad would be valuable to everybody.

-Paul
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ....let's not read too much into them. It isn't at all unusual for new people to pop in and post only once. Just because they only post once does not mean they do not return to read. Maybe they log in, maybe they don't. Whether regular members believe their issues are valid or not is irrelevant. However, courtesy towards all members is required. If you have doubts, fine, but let's refrain dismissing someone's problems with insinuations that they are not being truthful.

If you wish to discuss this further, please send me an email. It doesn't belong here.
    My wife just called - the rear passenger window won't go up now. :) It's the infamous window regulator failure. Is there any writeup on doing this yourself? My 2002 is out of warranty due to mileage, and I'd rather not pay the labor rates at the dealer.

How much is that window reg BTW? I'm afraid to ask!

-Paul
    No info... mine was just replaced under warranty, and I didn't even know anything was wrong with it... They caught it during Inspection I..

I'd think this would be the time to find that independent BMW mechanic... they must do tons of these.. This would be a nice easy repair to test them out.. see if they make you happy..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

I may just do that. I'm not wanting to pay dealership prices for labor rates and such. I'll see what's in the area. There are a LOT of BMW's in Huntsville, so I would think there'd be an indy shop around here somewhere.

Thanks for the reminder. Think I'll do some searching tonite too...

-Paul
  • kgakga Member Posts: 23
    Window regulator cost about $86+tax at BMW service department, they charge 1-2 hours (~$100-$200) for window regulator replacement. But you can do it yourself it will take couple hours. In this case you need set of torx screwdrivers.
    Actually, It's a fairly simple DIY job Google E46 window regulator repair and you will turn up a couple of how-tos.
  • jasondjasond Member Posts: 28
    Well said! I agree completely.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Since Oct 2002 ? ,Yikes id hate to see ours since 1998...

DL
    Yeah, I hear ya. According to my profile I started posting 27-Oct-1998, however, for some reason I seem to think it was a few months before that. Maybe that had a few software updates that lost a little history or something. Anyway, over that period I've taken a few sabbaticals (like when I moved to New Hamster and broke my leg and again when I locked myself in a room for several months and wrote a novel later that year). That said, I'm thinking that I'm probably nearing the "Five Figure" territory. Sheesh, I need to get a life! ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • iz4detailiz4detail Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone have any info regarding my post #1956 ??? Additionally, I am still contemplating about purchasing Axxis brake pads to reduce brake dust. Other than Shipo and Kyfdx, has anyone else tried these pads? Thanks.
    Go with the Axxis-no dust, good pedal modulation, and excellent fade resistence-on the street anyway...
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    It's been really hot here the last week or more, so maybe that's related to this situation. My '04 325i developed a noticeable squeak or rattle that seemed to me to be coming from near the front passenger door. It was really driving me nuts, especially on the rough roads that we have around here. So finally, after parking the car, I walked around it and opened the front door. When I pulled it open, it seemed like the door was slightly stuck to the rubber seals around the opening, and it make a bit of an adhesive pop as it pulled free. I closed the door, and when I drove off, the noise was complete gone.

So is this something that commonly happens in hot weather, especially on doors that are not opened very often? Is there any danger of actually pulling the seal loose from the body?
    hehehe Torx bits are not a problem :) My Jeep Wrangler requires them for about everything! :)

-Paul
    I hope the BMW fasteners don't strip out as easily as the Jeep ones. Don't ask me how I know...