Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    tbonertboner Member Posts: 402
    For that little difference the 03 is the better buy. The 02 will take a years worth of depreciation immediately which is more than the $400 difference.

As far as the extended warranty, just put the $1600 in the bank and then you'll know for sure you get the money back. I'm skeptical you actually get anything worth while back. Certainly read the warranty (or in this case, it is really insurance) before you buy it.

But I think it is a better gamble to save it yourself.

TB
  • Options
    syz_seattlesyz_seattle Member Posts: 3
    My new 2002 MPV (just bought in September) had a complete transmission failure last weekend while driving on an uphill road. The dealer told me that the transmission needs to be replaced. The van only has 600 miles on the clock! I hope this doesn't represent the overall quality of Mazda MPVs. Has any one here experienced a transmission failure in a new MPV?
  • Options
    glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Sorry to hear about that. I have not seen anything on complete transmission failures anywhere. I'm sure Mazda will take care of you.

What is the build date on your MPV? Did it have a lot of test drive miles on it when you purchased it?

Mark.

p.s. This would probably be better served in the "Problems Thread."
  • Options
    syz_seattlesyz_seattle Member Posts: 3
    I am not sure about the build date of my MPV. Need to check the records. It doesn't have many test drive miles. When I drove the van out of the dealer lot, it was only 1 mile on the clock.

I am moving this to the "Problems Thread" ...
    Thanks.
  • Options
    prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    The LX luxury package gave us cloth seats as well. The DW objects to leather seats for political and temperature reasons. However, the said cloth seats have electrical controls in the driver one. This however might not make much difference, although, for back pain, a little difference can sometimes go a long way.
  • Options
    tccmn1tccmn1 Member Posts: 278
    Yes, the 02 had the 2,000 rebate and the 03 had the 1,500 rebate. I am going to take the rebates and go with them....leaning to ordering an 03 for depreciation, etc..

That deal on the tranny failure really has me thinking even more so about that extended warranty. IF this is a sign of things to come, I want to be ready. I have had extended warrs. on Dodges, Toyotas and Chevy's I have owned and have ALWAYS used them for an issue over 7 years of ownership. It's just bound to happen.

The big issue I was trying to make was how a local dealer can try to sell a warranty that they say they'll give you cash back at it's end if you don't use it, yet it's only good at Zero deductable at THEIR location. If you use it anyplace else, it's a $100 deductable!
    PLUS, if you sell the car before the end of the warranty, you only get a pro-rated amount back and you can't transfer the warranty to the new owner! So, the advice I'm getting is buy at TRUE MAZDA warranty that is good at ANY Mazada dealer...and it can be transferred and used at zero deductable anyplace.

After talking with a local dealer tonight, I'm going to order one from the factory. Going with a loaded LX with everything except the 17" wheels,leather,pwr driver seat and carbon dash decor. It still comes out about 3000 dollars cheaper and I'm putting the GPX option on it. Out the door price with tax, license, 7yr/100K MAZDA warr. is $27,876.53!
    Includes; Moonroof, hitch, 6cd/cass, Rear A/C, Roof Rack, Comp/Temp mirror, 4 season pkg., pwr sliding doors - in Silver. Should be sharp.
    Will take up to 90 days to get it...but that ok.
  • Options
    cheapdadcheapdad Member Posts: 5
    Here are my two cents... First, see if your employer is a Ford preferred partner - in which case you get no hassle pricing right around invoice (sometimes lower/sometimes higher depending on options) + any incentives. What is the actual price of the car listed above (before TTL + warranty)? There is a thread on the MPVclub board of a dealer trying to arrange a group buy for Extended Service Plans that may be able to save you a few bucks on that part of the equation. Also, did you find the Extended warranty was actually from Mazda, or from a 3rd party provider (some of us have not been able to find an extended warranty directly from Mazda)? One other consideration around an extended warranty is in most cases it does not need to be purchased at purchase time of the vehicle (just before the original warranty expires - unless you want to finance it into the original purchase), so you can see after a couple of years a) how problematic your MPV has been, b) see what kind of recurring MPV problems other owners have had and what Mazda is doing about them and c) whether after using the vehicle for a couple of years you decide you wish to keep it for the full 7 years.
  • Options
    Good points.
    Yes, they GAVE me the extended warranty brochure which has Mazda Corp. all over it and what it covers.
    They also said it would cost more to buy later due to a vehicle check in that needs to be done at that time to be sure I hadn't abused it or what shape it was in. I'll do some more research as you say. My point is that this was a MAZDA - good at all dealers warranty at ZERO deductable vs. that other one a TC Local dealer was offering which only really worked to the best at THEIR dearlership...not convenient either.

Again, is the only other diff. between the ES and the LX which I have loaded up, the wheels, leather, dashboard fiber look, and power seat???
    I'm trying to understand a $3K diff. for just those items..... Thanks.
  • Options
    m1tommym1tommy Member Posts: 29
    Does anyone here have experience with one of these critters? I have one of the "X-Cargo" brand ones, that is about 5 years old, that served us very well atop the Corolla wagon that's been replaced by the 2002 MPV. With the holiday trips on the horizon, one can always use more room. Our '02 MPV is an LX with a factory luggage rack.

The old straps need to be replaced and the hooks obviously don't fit. I wondered if anyone here has ever used U-bolts to secure one to their luggage rack? The Sears kits have them, albeit not one recommended for my MPV. The Sears hardware is bare metal, so I think I'd dip them in plasti-coat before I'd consider using one.

The Sears folks were not terribly helpful, other than, "... need to buy a newer model, guy!", for about $200.

If this has been hashed out on another thread or earlier in this thread a, "keep looking", or link reply would be fine. The search feature in Edmunds has never seemed to work well for me.

Any ideas/advice/opinions are appreciated.

Sincerely, Tommy
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's a new Advanced Search tool on the left that you can try, but I don't remember seeing anything too close to what you're asking. Sounds possible though w/ the U bolts.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    New and Advanced? But, does it now w-o-r-k?

As to the box attachment, I don't see why U-bolts wouldn't work, either.
  • Options
    I'm not a big fan of them on new cars. You have 3 years and 50K miles to learn if it's going to be a problem child car. If it is, then just dump it before the warranty is up. They build cars nearly everyday of the year somewhere on this planet, so there will be cars around when and if you replace this vehicle.

Just save the money for the extended warranty and skip the fear tactics used by some F&I guys.

TB
    Who put a new tranny in his 87 LeSabre last fall.
  • Options
    er, New and Improved then (it couldn't have gotten much worse, eh?).

Had Anchorage snowbird company pass thru last weekend, complete w/ a few slabs of silvers -- life is good :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    canielcaniel Member Posts: 28
    We have an older model Sears (about 7 years old) and we use it - with the U-bolt kit - on our 00 and 02 MPV luggage rack. No problems at all. I thought they actually had a kit recommended for the 00 - perhaps it was just "universal?" If the one we're using is for the 00, it works fine on the 02 as well. Good luck.
  • Options
    O/T back to you, steve.

Lucky, you got some nice silvers, eh? I need a j-o-b before I can head south for a vacation, sputly, or otherwise.

What happened to your sig?
  • Options
    Management told us a full blown sig wasn't required any more - I always thought the long ones took up too much real estate and the title line blares "host" in red anyway.

I have an old cargo carrier that came with the house I bought and it looks like a U bolt kind of thing, and it looks pretty universal. I have no idea what it fits, but maybe I could trade it for some more fish!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Couple questions on the 03 LX and ES;
    Do they still come with that little swing up table between the front seats? My dealer didn't have an 03 LX to notice if LX's or ES's only or whatever these come on now if at all.

Cassette with CD changer; is it true that it will cost me additional $400 for replacing the 6CD changer with a single CD and Cassette unit?
    Seems they could just switch and net the difference...maybe $400 is the net diff.??

I'm posed to order a loaded LX 03; re. Security Pkg.-Since it appears I can't get it on the LX unit, I should be able to add an alarm after mkt...right? I get a $12 discount ea.6mos. on my auto ins. w/one...every buck helps:))

Finally, just curious if the 04 model will be redesigned....since 00-01 were same, 02-03 are same, will 04 bring changes?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Steve,

LOL! :-)
  • Options
    Hey, it's new and it's more advanced than the basic search ever was!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    I don't know how this got past me but it seems the 2002 vans have the new lower anchorage system required by law after Sept. 1, 2002. I was at Babies R Us getting a replacement belt latch for my car seat. I spotted this EZ Latch belt system. The sales man said they were for all new cars with the system. You no longer have to use your car's safety belt. I went out side and sure enough their they were. Two black latch hooks located way under the back support on each side of the seat. It's really cool not to have to use the car seat belts. Now I can slide the seats together to allow easier access to the rear seats. Has anyone talked about this? If so I sure missed it. Paul
  • Options
    The DW and I noticed this set up when we had the MPV home for the first night a few weeks ago. It sure would have been nice when our children were that age. All those endless sessions pulling and pushing on belts. Plus those darn belt clips! ARGHHHH! They were a pain in the you know what.

Mark.
  • Options
    Has anyone test driven both models to tell if there is much difference in the handling?
    I know the option and standard differences...I'm just wondering if the 17" vs 16" wheels make THAT much difference in the handling. Isn't the suspension the same in both for 2003?

Thank you.
  • Options
    bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    That was one of the main selling points for me (among many others). The MPV is the only van on the market with this feature...I had already purchased the latch belts when I picked up my MPV in May. I have a 3 yr old and 10 month old both in car seats. With all the other vans, if you have captains chairs, you are screwed. If you have a bench, then there is a tendancy for fighting over toys, etc.(Nah, not my angels!) Even in the Odyssey, once the car seat is installed, you still have to leave it in one position or the other, since it only slides while tilting.

This one feature has proven more useful than any of the others...we can still separate the kids, and have people access the rear seat. You should see our other friends faces who own minivans when they see that...
  • Options
    IMO only from my test drives I felt the 17" rims created a ride in which the small road imperfections were more noticeable. Did not notice a difference in lane changes etc... There was a huge difference between the old 15" and the 16". I'm sure that contributed to their demise in the 03's.

Mark.
  • Options
    pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    I noticed you could also remove the captain chairs completely and still keep the child seat attached. I still can't believe I didn't know about the system. My wife and I still talk about how nice this van is. It fits our needs/garage perfectly.
  • Options
    cheapdadcheapdad Member Posts: 5
    I pulled the captain chair seat out of the van to install the LATCH car seat. It allowed me to stand in the seat to ensure a tight fit (instead of just kneeling). Of course, the seat is in so tight, now I don't know if I'll ever be able to get it out without cutting the LATCH belts ;) I also wish there were LATCH in the 3rd row....
  • Options
    dapontdapont Member Posts: 21
    Here's a realistic review of our favorite van with decent accompanying photos: http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/MazdaMPV/index.htm

To take the MPV down Highway 1 between Monterey and Big Sur on a sunny day with light traffic would be the closest thing to heaven on earth.
  • Options
    Does anyone know what the diameter is for the Mazda 'factory' hitch? I know the unit can tow 3,000lbs with the 4 Season package, but I was wondering what the size of the tongue would be. I have a Dra-Tite 1.25" slide in ball now and would like to stay with that size.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I appreciate the reply, and will likely go that route. I think I'll dip them in some "Plasticote" tol handle coating, to lessen marking my rails.
    Thanks,
    Tommy
  • Options
    About your, "...Cassette with CD changer; is it true that it will cost me additional $400 for replacing the 6CD changer with a single CD and Cassette unit? Seems they could just switch and net the difference...maybe $400 is the net diff.??.."

We bought a 2002 LX in late May this year. I asked the dealer about the same thing and received the exact same answere and price. We're in SE Texas, BTW. Most of the munchkins' new music is on CD nowadays, so it's not a biggie, except that there are tooooo mannnnnyyyyyy "Toddler Tunes" on a single CD!

I would have liked the leather seating. My dealer gave me a certificate for a "leather upholstering job" from a local shop for $800, should I ever convince the wife.....

HTH,
    Tommy
  • Options
    You could buy a lot of computer hardware and rip your own cassettes to CD

TB
  • Options
    scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Tccmn1 could buy/install a better aftermarket radio with CD and cassette, plus get to keep the original radio.
  • Options
    amyshubbyamyshubby Member Posts: 19
    I guess I should introduce myself. I'm planning on buying a 2002 loaded ES very soon. It's a leftover and Mazda is offering a 2k rebate.

As a background, I started looking at Minivans about six months ago. We were originally going to buy used (let someone else take the initial depreciation) and go with a fully loaded Odyssey or Sienna for about 18k. Then we looked at the Sedona and really liked it. For only about 4k more we would have a new Minivan.

I started lurking around the Kia boards, then started to contribute to some of the discussions to get some opinions. I was pretty sure we were going with the Kia because we liked the interior more then the other minivans (still Love the gear shifter on the dash instead of the steering column).

To make a long story short (is it too late for that?) I stumbled across the MPV and really liked what I saw. Although the Kia has a more heavy ride, we like the power doors, power windows, magic seat, and especially the sliding second row. Also, because of the rebate and the fact that the dealer is coming down to invoice, the van will only be about 2k more then the Kia.

I am now trying to catch up on some of the older posts in this thread (and I haven't even started looking at the problems thread).

Some quick questions:
    1) I know this is very general, but how have the 2002's been holding up? Has anyone had any problems with the new engine? I'm not a huge Ford fan, so it's the one area I'm a little leery about. My understanding is it's one of Ford's better engines.

2) I saw some threads about the rotten egg smell in the 2002 ES. Is this pervasive, or just a few Vans that have it? For those that had it and switched brads of gas until it went away, did it stay away or did it come back?

3) I'm aware ofo the 2k cash back on the 2002's. Does anyone know if there are any other incentives being offered?

Thanks for any responses. Like I said, the MPV wasn't even a consideration two weeks ago, and I'm kind of playing catch up now.
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I've had two "Ferds" in the last 25 years and they both gave me problems LONG before my present '01 MPV hit 34K miles. I can only vouch for the smaller engine version as compared to the '02. I'm about to run out of warranty but at the same time I never had a problem (ashtray too small... :)).
    As far as the "rotten egg" smell, it seems to be a hit or miss. My '01 never had it.
    At any rate, I'm sure the '02 will (does) stand up against any other van out there today. Plus, it's more fun to drive than those other tanks...er, vans.
  • Options
    rotten egg smell. I don't think anyone (or very few if some did) claimed you can smell it inside the vehicle.

I suspect most smelled it from pulling into the garage, then getting out of the van.

Our '00 was a bit smelly when new.

At 25K on the clock now, either we don't notice it anymore, or the catalytic converter is finally broken in and efficiently converts the nasties in the exhaust.

One other "theory" that comes to mind is most modern OBD-II controlled vehicles have a drive cycle where they learn how to control the engine. It is possible that the computer is still doing the fine tuning of its knowledge about your driving habits and how the engine and its control systems are working in your car.

I'd be interested in learning about people who have over 5K miles and still have a very stinky exhaust.

TB
    Doesn't mind the smell of diesel
  • Options
    mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    Tboner made a good point. The smell maybe more noticeable for those who keep their van in a garage. I bought my ES 02 in February and I have little over 10,000 miles. I park my van outside and most of the time I don't smell anything. Only occasionally I can still get a sniff of HS2 but if I had to pick a van now I would pick MPV.

MB
  • Options
    prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    We drive a 2002 LX with now over 16K miles. So far, we have not had the slightest problem with it, nothing. I am familiar enough with the H2S to recognize its smell; around our MPV, we never had as much as a hint of it. As for the engine, it's also a non-issue; the block is Ford but that's about it. The Tribute/Escape who have been using the same engine longer seem to hold up fine.
    Like you we took a very good look at the KIA, but decided against it. The space behind the 3rd row is too small for us. The interior, especially with the EX, was unappealing with the fake wood and chromed plastic.
    Overall, despite it owners raves, The Sedona is more trouble prone than the MPV (I've kept lurking on the Sedona board). It carries a lot of extra weight because they cut cost by using cast iron where all the other manufacturers use alloys. Still they are worse vans out there, for more money.
    If you decide to go with the MPV, for resale value reason, I would get the 2003 with rebate, unless you can get a great deal; to gage that, just check back here. :-)
  • Options
    1) The 02's are fine. Some early vehicles required a re-flash of the transmission fuzzy logic do to a program error causing rough shifting at times. Very small number of vehicles. I believe there was one recall for a GVW label that had incorrect information on it. The 3.0 Duratec is bullet proof if maintained properly. No it's not as smooth as a Nissan 3.5, but under 4,500 I find it very smooth. We get around 21.5-22.0mpg in combined C/H. The transmission is a JATCO unit which has a strong record. It's used in Nissan, Jaguar, and Rover applications as well as others. I find it's operation to be very smooth.

2) We have not noticed any HS2 odor from our 02.

3) $2,000 cash back is it on 02's as far as cash to dealer.

We spent 3 months trying to find the replacement for our 97 Quest. In the end it came down to the Ody or the MPV. The MPV was so much nicer to drive, and park. It is very well designed, has a lot of unique features, is a great value and IMO very attractive. It is just as reliable as any other van out there. Actually it is better than most. Everyone has different needs. We thought we could never live with a van this size, but now we could never drive one of those large tanks again. Good luck.

Mark. : )
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    The MPV is a fine choice, We have an 01 LX with 25k. No problems,very reliable. The 01 had a small engine 2.5 Ford Duratec, good engine but underpowered. This was corrected on the 02 models. Good handling, nice ride, 3rd seat is convienent,roll down windows in 2nd row great, excellent sound system, best looking minivan, nicely designed,reasonable mileage. Now for the other side of the coin which I am known for. Please keep in mind that some of these items may have been corrected on the 2002 model.
    -the transmission is not the smoothest,seems to always search for the right gear.
    -minor items;on the 01, no power seats;or power lock control on the passenger side.
    -3rd seat not real comfortable especially for adults,also no middle headrest.
    -headrests not adjustable fore and aft.
    -large dashboard intrudes some especially on passenger side
    -gear shifter blocks out a coupl radio controls
    -My favorite, Resale value. Compared to the ODY is not that good. Then again, the ODY is legendary for its incredible high resale values.The Sienna is also higher.
    Good luck on your decision. IF you are not too critical like me, you will be happy with the MPV.
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Effective today.....

All 2003 Mazda's get a 4 year / 50K bumper to bumper warranty!!!!

If you already purchased a 2003 you will get the warranty also

zoom~zoom
    Rich
  • Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I have a 2000 lx, with moonroof, etc. Been relatively happy with it (no major problems but had the clickling in the brakes, problem with light, and other minor annoyances). I know some of you have traded in your older MPVs for the newer ones. How bad are you being treated on the trade-ins? I'm in very good condition, no dents, 28K miles. I'm thinking of this principally because of the expiration of the warranty. I guess I could buy an extended warranty but I'd appreciate any thoughts.
  • Options
    Hey, that's GREAT news, Rich!!! We had very few problems in the 3.25 yrs of owning our MPV, but having another year of warranty would be outstanding.

Rutger, now that there is additional Ody production capacity, coupled with the continuing problems that the Ody has, I'm skeptical about the projected resale value gap. There are lots of people that have noticed that Honda is not building to the quality standards they did in the early and mid 1990s. But, this isn't the 'vs' thread. ;)
  • Options
    bausbackbausback Member Posts: 7
    I just found this discussion board ... thank gd! So glad to find a forum where solid info (i.e. non-dealer) can be obtained. So, a couple of questions for all of you experienced Mazda buyers and owners out there...

1) Are there currently any rebates being offered on 2002 or 2003 MPV's?

2) If you were wanting to locate a 2002 with low miles, what is the best way to locate one without actually calling a hundred dealers and dealing with salesperson hype?

3) What would be a "good price" for a new MPV LX?
    (Our local dealer has a 2003 MPV LX stickered at $25K)

Any opinions/advice would be appreciated!
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    So glad to find a forum where solid info (i.e. non-dealer) can be obtained.

We are all dealers. When are you looking to buy and what will you be trading in?

:-) sorry, couldn't resist.

#s 1 & 2 sound like dealer questions to me.
    #3 Edmunds TMV is usually pretty accurate. Just look up the optioned vehicle under the new vehicle section.
  • Options
    You're bad....!

But then again, half of us act like salesmen the way we slobber over this van!
  • Options
    You might need that extended warranty - or more insurance - if you felt that last earthquake up there.
    Did MochaVan rock & roll?
  • Options
    owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    You can check dealer inventories by going to www.mazdausa.com. Select "Locate A Vehicle" from the menu on the left. A hint - start with you zip code. If you do not find anything, choose the zip code of the furthest dealer in the direction you want to search. For example, I am in Northern VA. I did not find the color I wanted from the dealers in my local area. So, I put in the zipcode for a dealer in Maryland. That gave me a whole new set of dealers to look at and I found my vehicle in Gaithersburg.

RBB
  • Options
    hues10hues10 Member Posts: 10
    I did it. Purchased a 2003 Sandstone Colored MPV ES. After two years scouring these boards, it came down to a Rendezvous and the MPV (GM Credit Card rebate). Almost had the underpowered, severly depreciating Buick if I didn't make my wife drive the MPV for a comparison.

We traded in a '98 Olds Intrigue with only 50k miles which I had already spent $1200 the last 18 months, and felt some transmission, brake, and steering problems coming on. Enough was enough. If worst fears came true, I was facing upwards of $3k of potential repairs.

The details of my purchase, MPV stickered for exactly $27K. Argued and argued about my Rendezvous deal, 0% financing, etc. Finally ended up at $16.7K before tax (told theme to stick dealer fee out the window). I figure I got $6K for my trade, and $4300 off MSRP, so thought it was a good deal.

Now - where is this 4 year bumper-to-bumper warranty thing. It was not discussed at the dealer, is not on the Mazda website, or nothing.

Happy to have a MPV owner after 16 hours.
  • Options
    I ordered a fully loaded MPV LX about 2 weeks ago from a local 'best price' dealer. I have everything coming except leather, 17" wheels,etc of the ES package. My price "Out The Door" with a 7 year/100K extended MAZDA warranty was $27,400 - this included the GFX package, moonrf, rf.rack, 6cd, trailer hitch, 4 seas., pwr.doors, traction control, rear a/c. This included Tax, license, delivery charge.
    Now on extended warranties; there are a variety of extended warranties that take the vehicle past the 3 year 50K mile coverage. My 7/100K cost me $1600. It's a NO DEDUCTABLE at ANY MAZDA DEALER in the US type warranty. Beware of some out there that are extended warranties thru other insurance cos...that are ZERO deductable at the dealer you bought the warranty at, but may be up to $100 deductable if you use it at any other Mazda dealer. This sounds bizarr, but it's true. I know my warranty was listed at over $1900 in their little book, so it was reduced a little. Other's have praised about lower cost than this...but just keep in mind that not all of these extended warranties are the same nor are they valid at other dealerships when you go in and are surprised. This is also true in the Toyota world..so it's not unique to the Mazdas. If you're thinking of waiting on buying the ext.warr. keep in mind it will cost you more to buy the warranty later, i.e.; at the time your Mazda warranty runs out...their reason is that the car is already worn and may have problems ready to happen at that point...so I guess I can understand that to a point.
    Hope this helps. I always get the ext. warr. because I keep my vehicles at least 7 years and have cashed in far more than the expense of the warranty on Toyotas and Chrys. products. A bad A/C conpressor or tranny, etc. adds up fast.
  • Options
    Hey bob, haven't seen you in a while. Yes, that quake was interesting, but wasn't anything to write home about (it was a long ways away). Earthquake insurance is insanely expensive... I'm just gonna pass the hat around if my house falls. ;)

Hues10, welcome also to ownership of an MPV!

Malt, you have no shame. Although, if I could make the payments right for you, would you take this baby home today?