Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Thanks, roadburner.

I think the last time I added a quart of oil was ~ 1500 miles ago. I'll keep a better record going forward.
  • lphantom8lphantom8 Member Posts: 11
    I'm trying to get an idea what people are paying for the schedule maintenance at around 57K miles. I spoke with a dealer and they said I need the INSPECTION II schedule maintenance and was quoted $850. Is this about right? Thanks for your help in advance.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I spoke with a dealer and they said I need the INSPECTION II schedule maintenance and was quoted $850.

Yes, a 2003 E46 will call for an Inspection II at @60K miles. I think the quoted price is extremely high. My local independent BMW shop recently performed an Insp. II, a coolant service, a tire rotation, and a front end alignment on my 1995 318ti, and the cost was $592. Keep in mind that an E36 Insp. II is much more labor intensive, as it calls for changing the transmission and final drive oils, the spark plugs, and the fuel filter. In contrast, the only items replaced on your car are the engine oil, oil filter, cabin filter, and air filter. That said, if you plan to keep the car, I would change the 'lifetime" drivetrain fluids at 60K.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    As roadburner mentioned, Insp II is only an oil change, new air filter and new microfilter... you can order these parts online and do them yourself (oil~ $50, air filter ~ $40 and microfilter ~ $20, IIRC). All are pretty easy to do.

I did these myself and then brought the car to my local indy BMW mechanic and had the differential fluid changed, new thermostat, new water pump, new serpentine belts and new fuel filter put in. The cost for these items was ~ $600 (parts and labor).
  • ultimgrocgettrultimgrocgettr Member Posts: 13
    I have been rreading these forums for awhile and I would like to introduce myself. I have an alpine white 2003 BMW 325xiT that I purchased two years ago at 24,000 miles. It is my first BMW and I have really enjoyed the car. I now am at 52,000 miles and am about 2400 miles away from inspection II. So far I have only had to replace brakes, and tires. The only out of ordinary repairs have been a new thermostat, O2 sensor and a fuel sender wire that was gnawed by a mouse.

My service plan for the car calls for oil changes every 7,500 miles (our half way through what the car recommends for an oil change via the OBC. I have the 3 month 3000 miles routine so ingrained with me I struggle waiting the 7,500 mile mark. I'll replace the inspection II items i.e. airfilter, cabin filter etc. myself and have a BMW indy mechanic look it over. My local dealer charges about $540.00 for inspection II which seems to be a glorified oil change.

I plan on changing the waterpump after 60,000 miles as per Mike Miller's recommendations in the Roundel.

On oil changes, how do you base your intervals on time or mileage? I've heard the 3 month 3000 miles for years and I drive this car about 14 K a year. Do you think half of the interval is sufficient? I had the oil changed last summer when the OBC was reading 7,500 to inspection II. Now I am about 2,400.

Thanks,

Mark
  • megrdh1megrdh1 Member Posts: 9
    the quote $850 is cheap. I had the insp II last year on my 2001 325i for 1111.41 plus they told me to replace thermostat, water pump... and I walked out with the bill of $3040.76.
    I think my car is a lemon. I just had it fixed the passsenger front door due to rain water leaking in and the rear passenger window has broken regulator ( to roll the window up and down) and today I found there is a pool of water near the driver door too after a long day and nite rain from the storm. Anybody has similar problem? I like the car but I am getting tired of leaving it at shop too often.
    M.
    the quote $850 is cheap. I had the insp II last year on my 2001 325i for 1111.41 plus they told me to replace thermostat, water pump... and I walked out with the bill of $3040.76.

Sorry, but you got hosed, plain and simple. I hope the service manager kissed you and sent flowers the next morning. My local dealer doesn't charge that much more for an Insp. II on an E46 M3- which includes changing all drivetrain fluids as well as a time-consuming valve adjustment. As a matter of fact, a few years ago I put off changing a noisy idler pulley on my wife's 128K 1997 528i, and in late fall of 2004 my procrastination was rewarded by the pulley bearing disintegrating and taking out both belts and the fan shroud. I decided to let my independent BMW tech handle the repairs. While he had the car we decided to replace the radiator, the water pump, and the remaining idler pulley as a precaution. My tech also found and replaced a bad tie rod and had the car aligned. The total cost of repair? $1161.
    And one more data point: I had my dealer change the thermostat in my E36 3er just last month- $160

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

I have been rreading these forums for awhile and I would like to introduce myself. I have an alpine white 2003 BMW 325xiT that I purchased two years ago at 24,000 miles.

Welcome! That's a great car; I almost picked up a five speed Touring on ebay, but I snoozed and lost... :(

On oil changes, how do you base your intervals on time or mileage? I've heard the 3 month 3000 miles for years and I drive this car about 14 K a year. Do you think half of the interval is sufficient? I had the oil changed last summer when the OBC was reading 7,500 to inspection II. Now I am about 2,400.

I'm a bit more conservative than some of the other members on this board, so I also perform a 7500 mile oil change. Just be sure to use a BMW filter as well as a BMW Longlife 01 rated oil. Some commonly available oils that meet that spec are:

BMW Synthetic 5W-30
    Castrol Syntec 0W-30
    Mobil 1 0W-40

• megrdh1megrdh1 Member Posts: 9
    Roadburner,
    You are right. My local dealer ripped me off. I guessed because I am a gal and know nothing about car so they easily scared me. Anyway, if you follow this forum you may remember a while back I asked for a referral to an independent shop in SF BayArea not only because of the high cost of maintenance at my local dealer, but I also feel they no longer treat me well. :(
  • ultimgrocgettrultimgrocgettr Member Posts: 13
    Here is an action shot of my E46 Touring at a local autocross event. I get some good natured ribbing about having a wagon and some of the local club members call it a grocery getter. I remind them since it is a BMW, it is the Ultimate Grocery Getter.

I was autocrossing it using the stock 16" Michelins. Next season, I plan on using Bridgestone RE070 mounted on 17" E36 Style 24 rims. It should be interesting to see if the change in tires will improve my track times. This is a very fun car to drive and I am looking forward to the next season. I am participating in a BMW Winter Driving School in a couple of weeks. That should tide me over for awhile.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,195
    Don't feel bad.. and don't blame it on being female..

Actually, your experience is more the rule, than the exception.. There is a reason that BMWs got their reputation for being expensive to maintain.. It's a dealer network that charges astronomical prices for dubious repairs..

You shouldn't have to have an intimate knowledge of the mechanical workings of your car, to avoid being ripped off by the service department.. But, in many cases, that's exactly what you need..

Good job seeking out an independent..

regards,
    kyfdx
    visiting host

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Even good indy shops aren't that easy to find for BMW. They can be just as treacherous.

After years of searching, I've only found two really great BMW shops in the Bay Area, one in San Rafael and one in Santa Cruz. I'm sure there are more. Some have good "reputations" but they are very ego-driven and snooty, another trait I don't care for in an BMW indy shop.

One of my favorite indy BMW shops is run by a lunatic. If you catch him on a good day, he is BRILLIANT with these cars, but if he's on a bender, don't go near the place. LOL!
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    Hello everyone,

Does anyone know offhand the size of the caliper brake line bleed valve? I have an E46 2002 330i. I'd like to drive to the hardware store without having to remove/replace the wheel to check. If I recall from the last time I did it, its either a 7mm or 9mm fit (I ended up using a box wrench that time). What I do remember is that it isn't one of the sizes that comes in the trunk mounted tool kit.

Thanks.
  • skj109skj109 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2006 330i with sports package. Does anyone know where I can get the maintenance schedule online for this car? Thanks for the help.
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    I have the same car (2006 330i), but without sports package. I do not believe that there is a written maintenance schedule for this car. It is computerized and somewhat customized for each car taking into account the driving that is done on the car. When something needs to be done, the on-board computer lets you know, counting down the miles to the next service.
  • bummernbummern Member Posts: 5
    I purchased a 2004 325i, 12,500mi. in July 07. The car belonged to an elderly man that passed away. He only drove around town, store, doctors, etc. I have had the SES light come on 7 times in 5 months. Due to my varying work location, I've had 2 different dealers address this problem. 1st time, dealer said it was a coil misfire - replaced the coil, then it was the coolant light, replaced the water pump, then SES light again, 2nd Dealer said it was bcuz my 'fuel light' came on [WHAT!!!????], so I drove away - 2 weeks later I'm back there and they say it's the same coil misfire in cylinder 1 again - they replaced it. I pick-up my car and when I start it, the radiator light comes on - but then immediately went off - so I didn't think too much of it. Of course it's come on again over the weekend, went off, but now the SES light is on again. I took the car to an independant, Dinan in Mtn. View, CA - they stated a misfire in cylinder 1 has been logged 7 times in that car. Did I buy a lemon? I sure do LUV IT - LUV IT. The warranty expires in Mar.08, and, I can't keep taking this thing in every other month. HELP!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well a misfire error code could be caused by at least....oh.....7 or 8 different things, of which a coil is only one....I mean it's a GOOD GUESS but it could be something like:

Ignition system
    * Fuel injectors
    * Fuel pressure
    * Running out of fuel
    * EVAP canister purge valve
    * Evaporative emission system
    * Low compression
    * Base engine problems
    * Controle Module damaged

Was this error code P0301?
    Does anyone know where I can get the maintenance schedule online for this car?

Here's a brief overview. On your E90 some services are determined by time, some by mileage, and some by the on-board Service Interval(SI) system(which calculates service based on driving conditions).
    The time based services are: Brake Fluid(every 2 years) and Coolant(every 3 years)
    The mileage based services are: Spark Plugs, ATF, and Oxygen Sensors(every 100K miles for all three).
    The SI system has 3 levels of service: Oil Service, Inspection I, and Inspection II. An Oil Service is called for at @15K intervals(or every year, whichever comes first). It is just an oil change.
    The Inspection I rolls up at @30K; it is an oil change, a cabin air filter change, and a comprehensive inspection of the car.
    Inspection II occurs around 60K and is essentiall an Inspection I + an engine air filter change.

If you are planning on flipping the car in a couple of years I'd just follow the BMW schedule. However if you're going to hang on to it for a while I'd advise changing the transmission fluid(slushbox OR manual) every 60K at least. Ditto for the final drive oil. If you take your 330i to the track I'd reduce those mileage intervals by 50%. I change the engine oil at 7.5K intervals due to the fact that my 3er sees the track every so often and my wife's X3 chews up its oil in less than 9K miles(based on used oil analysis). Some people go 15K without any problem but I'm not one of them.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Thanks, 'burner. I bookmarked this for future reference -- it's an excellent concise summary of what really matters.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    THANKS so much for the info. I have a service appt. on Wednesday [tomorrow] and I'll be sure to find out what the "code" is. I will also look back on prior service papers and see if the dealer, or the independant I went to, noted that. This brings to mind that I need to start tracking codes. I am also going to make a note of what you've listed here and present it to the dealer to "check" all of the above. THANKS again and I'll let you know.
  • bslatebslate Member Posts: 14
    Hi all,

I have a 1994 318ic that needs a new (used) engine :sick: . I am searching around for someone local to do this and one of the options that has been presented is to put an older (1988) straight 6 engine in to replace my 4cyl. I am fine with this but I am wondering if there are any negative points or concerns that I should be aware of. Will this cause issues with the existing tranny/electronics etc? I love the idea of replacing the engine with something a little more powerful - and it would be more cost effective too, especially since this is a second car. Thanks-
    I am fine with this but I am wondering if there are any negative points or concerns that I should be aware of. Will this cause issues with the existing tranny/electronics etc?

The 4 to 6 is a pretty common swap, and it's not that difficult either. However, I would NOT use a 1988 vintage engine, as that will prove to be a much more complicated project. You want an engine from a 1992 or later 325i or 525i. In addition, you really need to find a good BMW shop to do the work as they will be aware of what needs to be done so that you don't have any problems later on.

So I don't have the code # yet. However, the dealership did say the problem was the same again, misfire on cylinder 1. They chose to keep my car overnight as the service guy stated he 'happened' to think of something. He said his thought is that I might be losing coolant and the coolant could be leaking such that it's causing the mis-fire. I don't understand the specifics. I'm also concerned that the service adviser sounded as though he was the one to instruct the service techs to evaluate the coolant/cylinder issue. One would think the 'service tech' could have determined that sooner than 4pm, when the car was there at 6:55am. MY THOUGHT is that when they replaced the coil 1 week ago [when they diagnosed the misfire in cylinder 1] they didn't tighten something or install something correctly BECAUSE when I picked the car up and started the car, the coolant indicator came on, and then went off within 30 seconds, or so. During the weekend, same thing happened.
    So now the latest is they called to get my permission for 1 of the techs to drive my car home. They will take some sort of portable tester with them such that if the SES light comes on there are immediate tests that can be performed. They have verified fuel injectors, pressure, put a scope in the cylinder holes, validated compression - they cannot determine the problem. There is something called a 'robo' repair ticket filed with BMW and a response can take up to 72 hours - that's where they're at with it. So there's the potential my car sits at the dealers this weekend. :mad:
  • kresnickkresnick Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys. Just picked up a 2006 330xi for my cross country drive. I know BMW says I should use premium, but I am about to drive 4000 miles and wanted to know if I really have to use premium or if regular is sufficient.

Keith
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    If you use Regular it'll cost you more than if you use Premium. Why? Simple, to keep your engine from blowing up, the engine control system will retard the valve and ignition timing so far that your fuel economy will drop, and drop by more than enough to make Regular gasoline cost more per mile than Premium.

Like it or not, you have a car with a high compression engine, and to get both the best power and best economy out of it, you need to feed it properly.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • chile96chile96 Member Posts: 330
    I wanted to give some praise to a BMW dealership - Permian Basin BMW way out in West TX. Wife's '03 325ia suddenly lost power steering after the month before replacing the belts - don't know if that has anything to do with it. Car's warranty ended March '07 so it had been out of warranty for more than 9mos and has 41K on the clock. We have followed all the scheduled maintenance at BMW dealers and even the last belt repair was paid in full by us ~$700.

Anyways, after learning the cost and possibility of the rack being affected totalling $3000, I called BMWNA and spoke to Darci who was very receptive. I just told her the facts and informed her that we were actually looking to purchase a new vehicle (550 vs 535) in the next month. After a day, they agreed to pay for half the repair of $1400 (if it was just the power steering pump). I was ready to pay my half but thought it wouldn't hurt to ask so I politely asked her if there was anything BMW could chip in since I was told this partial payment was being comped by the dealer themselves. She said to give her a couple of days and see what she could do. We were on vacation in Hawaii so I had all time in the world but just wanted to see what she could come up with. Two days later, right before we're about to leave Hawaii, she informed me that BMWNA decided to do a 100% goodwill repair after speaking to the local rep. I took it as someone basically just gave me $700 so I was happy.

I asked her what made the difference and she said she and the local rep could see we had been faithful customers of BMW dealers(albeit different dealers as we had JUST moved to West TX three days prior and had no business with this dealership before). She suggested to the rep that we would continue to be faithful customers to this dealer although I think she was being very modest.

This has definitely kept me in the BMW family ;)
  • bemerbemer Member Posts: 20
    Put access key into a slot and press "start" button without touching clutch or brake pedal (in case of AT). If you depress the clutch or press brakes (AT), the car will start. We don't want that, so just press "start" button and stay away from clutch or brake.
  • hoodoomusichoodoomusic Member Posts: 16
    Ok guys...

I want to "hard-wire" my iPod in my E46. Any suggestions? Comments?

I've heard that the sound quality is better than using the devices that you plug in the cigarette lighter/fm radio station.

~slim~
  • breakneckzbreakneckz Member Posts: 17
    Hoodoomusic,

ICARKITS.COM
    or
    NEOCARAUDIO.COM

I ordered from Icarkits.com....got a little black box with a few wires--on my 2002 330ci with Harmon Kardon system, it hooks up to the unused wires for the cd changer in car's trunk....i then ran wires under back seat and along interior trim and placed it under my driver's seat...the connector to ipod is right next to my emergency brake,,,i like this for easier access to ipod than in glove compartment.....
    IT IS INCREDIBLE!!!! Can control Ipod from steering wheel to a certain extent--SOUND IS AWESOME!!!!

I do notice a VERY slight clicking like sound betwn songs--but i dont hear it when songs are playing....cost $ 190 WITH shipping...received it in 3 days!!!!

Let me know how you make out??

Good luck!
  • socalsabosocalsabo Member Posts: 13
    Hi again - I am FINALLY preparing to submit a claim to Small Claims Court - looking at the forms I have a couple of questions that you might be able to help with - Did you name the dealership as the Defendant? (Did you mention individual names?) How did you answer - "Why does the Defendant owe the Plaintiff money?" I'm thinking misrepresentation - but wondered how you answered? Thanking you in advance....I appreciate your input!
  • canman1971canman1971 Member Posts: 61
    From all the research I have done, Dice ipod intergration is the way to go. That is what I'm putting in mine whenever I get around to it. Go to bimmerforums.com for a lot more opinions on it. Here is the link for it. $160.00, or I think 190 with the HD radio.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=DETE- ST01&Category_Code=DICE_IPOD_BMW
  • hoodoomusichoodoomusic Member Posts: 16
    Thanx for the info Brother! I'll let ya know how it turns out!!!
  • lana106lana106 Member Posts: 1
    HI, I have a 2005 325i. I drive about 24 thousand miles a year but I'm gentle on the brakes. I've already had to replace the brakes twice. Once at 42 thousand and now at 68 thousand. Is that normal? How often should front or back brakes be replaced?
    Thanks
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Others may know better regarding your model year but I think that you had good service for the first set and decent for the last set of brakes. I have 30K on my 2006 330xi and the original pads look like at least 50% left to go.

Regards,
    OW
    I've already had to replace the brakes twice.

Are you talking about all four corners or just one axle? Did the brake lining light illuminate?

:cry: Fault code = 2742 My 2004 325i repeatedly had SES light coming on. After 7 trips to the dealership, they contacted BMW "expertise" and was advised to check lifters for scoring. Found scoring on 1 thru 8. Ordered new ledges and lifters, removed double vanos unit, removed intake and exhaust camshafts, installed new ledges and lifters, performed engine timing, set vehicle to TDC and set in camshaft locks, torques all bolts to specs., reinstalled double vanos, installed new valve cover gasket.

I pick up the car, get in, start the engine and SES light is on. Dealership pulls code and says an adjustment to the intake needs to be made and they need to keep it another day.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    On a 2003 325 my fronts had to be done every 23k; backs at 45k.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    You don't have to use either. 2 parts water and 1 part coke works even better.
  • gbmw3gbmw3 Member Posts: 1
    I am not the car saviest guy around. I have a 328ic and the trim on the front drivers side under the convertable top, (the plastic piece that runs across the top at the front on the interior) the little white snap has come out, and will not stay up, it seems like it's just an easy fix. I went to the dealer and they want me to buy an entire new plastic piece to correct the problem at $219 and thats without the labor. Is this the only way or can i fix it myself with out getting a whole new trim piece? Also, I need to replace a piece of moulding is that something simple or should I get the dealor todo it? IAnd if so where do I need togo on the net to learn how to replace the moulding? Another question how hard is it to replace the interior carpeting do-it yourself job or hire out? I know its alot of ?'s but I would thank anyone who feels like helping me out.
    Thanks
    I would strongly advise you to join the BMW Car Club of America. Many dealers and independent shops offer 10%-20% discounts on parts and/or labor. In addition, you will have access to the expertise of both technical advisors and local chapter members.
    With regards to your questions, if the white clip is broken or missing and the pieces it snaps into are intact, you should be able to buy the individual clip. Replacing the carpet isn't so much difficult as it is fiddly. You will need to remove the front seats as well as all or part of the console. Ditto for the door sill moldings and front kick panels.
    If you are really interested in learning how to work on your 3er, you should buy the
    Bentley Service Manual for your car. In any case, don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

• tsj3tsj3 Member Posts: 3
    greetings people
    im new on this block, im looking to purchase a 97 328ic tomorrow, its as-is and in need. lots of minor repairs. living in arizona and im a little weary of overheating since the indicator screen is prompting check coolant fluid. its full.
    at 140k its a decent fixerupper.
    any words of experience or wisdom on any front for me and my first bmw.
    shocks,springs,struts,doors,windows,timing belt, rear window, auto transmission.
    thanks so much :
    the indicator screen is prompting check coolant fluid. its full.

If the expansion tank is full, then the coolant level sensor is either bad or disconnected.

shocks,springs,struts,doors,windows,timing belt, rear window, auto transmission.

Shoot me some specific questions and I'll give it my best shot, though I can tell you right now that your car has a timing chain and not a belt. In addition, unless you know when all the vehicle fluids were last changed, I'd change them ALL- oil(Mobil 1 0W-40, Castrol Syntec 0W-30, or BMW 5W-30), ATF(Dexron III or IV), Diff(any good synthetic 75W-90), coolant(BMW Coolant+distilled water ONLY), and brake fluid(DOT 4 only).
    And as I told the gentleman above, get the Bentley Manual and join the BMW Car Club.

• tsj3tsj3 Member Posts: 3
    thanks chief
    i have taken note on all of your responses and i appreciate it.
    since i am not handy and savvy with my way around cars, is this a good car to rely on or am i getting in over my head, its a great deal if im willing to take it on.
    thanks again
    this a good car to rely on or am i getting in over my head

The answer depends on the condition of the car and your mechanical ability. BMWs don't tolerate abuse or neglect very well. Why not have the car checked out by a good BMW tech? In your case I believe that it would be money well spent.

• nimodonimodo Member Posts: 1
    1996 E36 Turn the key off, engine stops but there is still power to the idle control. (it hums) and drains the battery. Pulled out the engine control relay and engine still runs. Everything else works fine. The only thing I have done is replace the fuel pump. What is going on? HELP!
  • ed325i2002ed325i2002 Member Posts: 2
    Would someone please recommend an independent BMW garage in or near Tempe, AZ? My 325i (2002) developed an odd problem: the engine turns over but won't catch. This happened minutes after the car had started and run fine. Too warm to freeze, just under 60K miles (250 short of next service) and well maintained.

Thanks and best wishes,

Ed
    Would someone please recommend an independent BMW garage in or near Tempe, AZ?

I'd go to bimrs.org and see if a member shop is nearby.

• cushingbmwcushingbmw Member Posts: 3
    I was driving down the road and my clutch went...worn out completely(1996 model). My friend and I replaced the clutch and it shifts smooth and fine, with a new clutch and throwout bearing, and clutch slave cylindar. I am now experiencing some good vibes(sounds like exhaust and is harmonic). This happens while driving as well as in the driveway with the e-brake on. I do not feel the vibes coming from the shifter or the clutch pedal(I thought maybe it was the flywheel, but the clutch pdel doesnt pulse as I press int he clutch pedal). Where are some good places to look, I was thinking maybe the exhaust or motor mounts, but was not sure how to pinpoint whether it is the ressonator, cat, or muffler that is creating the vibes. help please!!!
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Did you loosen any supports while you were under there? Something might be loose or the Ex. Sys. if it's touching the chassis somewhere.

Regards,
    OW