Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jokers007jokers007 Member Posts: 1
    i had just bought my wife a 2002 about 4 months ago and she took it in to the dealer for shifting problems they said it could possilbly need a new transmission i guess will see come monday after they call the factory but i dont believe a brand new car already has problems like this (not impressed with bmw at all) it only has 1900 miles on it has any one had a problem such as this if so please email me or leave a post.
    email malkaduk007@aol.com
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Intersting post, a whole paragraph, one period and no capitalized words.

As for your problem, no car brand is totally without flaws. As for BMW, if they fix your wife's car to your satisfaction they should be considered a good car company.

-murray
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I had an Audi a few years ago that ate its second gear syncro within the first 2,000 miles. No big deal, they put in a transmission, and I was good to go for the rest of the life of the car.

FWIW, BMW buys their manual transmissions for the 2.5 liter engines from Getrag, and while they generally build "Bullet Proof" gear-boxes, one does slip through the cracks every so often.

Good luck with the new tranny.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • getz1getz1 Member Posts: 63
    Recently I have noticed that my 99 e46 323i emits a odd low pitched moan, most perceptible the automatic transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd gear at low throttle while traveling up an incline. It is also more frequent when the above stated actions are combined with a left turn (I swear I'm not making this up). My car has 60,000 miles and other than this complaint has been bullet-proof. I was unable to reproduce the problem at the dealership, and my warranty has since expired, so I am praying that it is not a problem with the transmission. There is no noticable slipping of the transmission and no "clunking" sensation. If anyone has experienced this problem, or could lend some insight, it would be greately appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Getz
  • bdannemillerbdannemiller Member Posts: 1
    Have had an intermittent problem with on-board computer forgetting user settings (mirrors drop, seats move, etc.).

Have taken the car (which is our 5th BMW) to the dealer 3 times. First visit resulted in a polite refresher on how the system worked. Second resulted in a "...perhaps it's your key (vice my wife's)...' that's at fault. Third time was a charm. Memory settings din't hold when service writer unlocked car.

Service writer noted that X5 has similar problem for no real reports on the 2001 325i. X5 problem (and one from Pros/Cons Edmund's review) reports: "Car sometimes forgets user settings for computer and Nav system when it sits overnight." While I don't have the Nav system, the car has everything else (i.e., Sport, Luxury, Xenons, 17" rims, etc.). Could this be part of the problem?

Dealer says computers between X5 and 3-series are different so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm guessing the X5 and virtually all other BMWs share at least some chips (EPROMs) and perhaps we're experiencing a bad lot? Any ideas?
  • agrafagraf Member Posts: 8
    Hi:
    I am new to this BMW thing, and would like some recommendations from the experts. I am considering buying a 325is, 5 speed, with 110k miles. Is that too much? I know that these are not Festivas, but ... The owner states (and have records) of consistent dealer maintenance. Any ideas of
    Are there any specific problems know to this car? How many miles can I expect to drive this thing, and how expensive are the repairs compared to a V6 Camry.

Thank you for your comments ...
  • eyeballseyeballs Member Posts: 5
    I need advice here. I have never owned a BMW but have heard about it (how they handle the curves, sporty look, etc.). I am thinking about buying either an M3 coupe, BMWX5 3.0 or 330 sedan. I test drove the x5 and the 330 but not the M3 and was impressed. I do have the money to buy either one but what I would like to know (based on your expert advice):

1. Are they worth the money?
    2. Do they need to be taken to the shop alot for maintenance?
    3. Is maintenance expensive?

I know the questions might sound stupid but I don't want to buy a car and then be paying out the butt to maintain a car or fix it every so often. One of the reasons I am asking this with all the good things about Bimmers I also have heard negative things about it as well. I want to drive a car that is pleasurable and exhilarating and dependable.

Please give me honest advice . . . .I would appreciate it greatly!!! Ex: If you are a pro-Lexus person or other manufacturer and want to post to this site and rip bimmers just for the heck of it THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Also, if you have any websites that can point me to a direction I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks a lot people!!
  • bmwfrevrbmwfrevr Member Posts: 27
    I have been checking edmunds site lately as I am planning to purchase my dream car a "BMW" of course but I never considered writing until I saw your message YES YES BMW's are worth as they say every penny I drove a 1989 325i from 97-00 (by the way my brother still drives it it has 160000miles all major components are original including muffler, clutch..etc. timing belt has been replaced every 50k as recomended 200$) until I made the biggest mistake I bought 00 Toyota 4Runner don't get me wrong 4Runner has been very good reliable smooth but nothing comparing to driving a BMW I should have listened to the previous owner of my old BMW he told me "if you drive a BMW you will never want to drive anything else" yes BMW's are reliable especially with some minor maintenance and their maintenance is reasonable as you know labor is the biggest chunk on any automotive repair so taking in consideration that you won't need to take your BMW to the shop as often as you take another brand (nothing specific) that should offset the difference in part price. All I can say is what are you looking in a car if liability is your only concern you do not have to spend as much so just buy a Lexus or an Acura but if you appreciate and enjoy driving buy a BMW and be ready that it is not going to be your last by the way yesterday I test drove 02 325i and I tell you I was impressed by the handling, power, ride, look and price (29900$). Good luck
  • canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    If you go from the Bimmer to a 4runner. A 4runner doesn't even drive that well compared to other SUV's (ie. Pathfinder, RX300) never mind a car!
  • eyeballseyeballs Member Posts: 5
    i appreciate the comment . . . .but are there any out there who have had issues with bimmers? Most noteably how much does it cost to maintain these babies?
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Service costs are quite reasonable once you find a good independent BMW tech who offers a BMW CCA discount. Example: I just had the Inspection II(Major) service performed on my wife's 1997 528iA. The independent shop did everything called for except the cabin filters(which I do myself)and they also replaced the fuel filter(which isn't called for but I think it is a good practice). The shop also replaced the front pads as well as a worn tie rod. Total price-including an alignment and seven quarts of Mobil 1 15W-50-was $440. In contrast, a friend got charged $1100(!) at a dealer for just the Inspection II service.
  • rascal8rascal8 Member Posts: 54
    This is my second BMW (2001 325ci). My personal experiences with BMW have been very good. These cars tend to get criticized often because of the intense brand loyalty to BMW by people like myself and the fact the price they carry is a bit out of reach for people who would otherwise own them. I think it would be hard for me to purchase any other car at this point, and this car does stretch my budget a tad. The combination of performance, comfort and reliablity is hard to equal as I see it.
    I believe you will find the service cost to certainly be more than your average Toyota or Honda driving appliance; however, like the previous poster recommends you can find a quality independent shop to save money. I think it also depends on specifically the type of service you are having done. Just budget yourself for normal service costs and you should be ok. If you kill the transmission for some reason...well that may be a different story. The M3 service may be quite a bit higher than the 330, you had better check it out first. Oh, and pleeeeease don't buy an SUV, even if it's a BMW :) G'luck.
  • tai_taitai_tai Member Posts: 1
    help!!
    am i the only one with this problem?
    just bought a 97 328i used with the sports package (16" wheels). my tires are all 225/50/16.
    nothing wrong when i turn right. when i turn the wheel all the way to the left and start going slowly, there's some rubbing sound as if the left tire was touching the mud-guard.
    moreover, on the steering return path, i hear a very low noise underneath left side of the steering column. it sounds like some electronic was being reset or something. the noise is very low and only happens once, but it's very distinctive and annoying. anyone know how to fix this?
    also, am i the only one without a steering wheel adjustment?
    thanks.
    tai
  • njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    and, wow, am I bummed. I'm 6 months and 6,700m into a 330i auto and the "check transmission" light came on. Service had the car all day and no conclusions. Any guess how long this might take?

Could this be the result of hard driving through deep, standing water on highways monday?

And another thing, when in reverse, the car makes a strange moan while turning. Seeing how much I love the car, I'm freaked at the thought of the dealers not being able to figure out whats wrong.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Yeah Monday was tough. I took it easy on the roads as I found myself going through rivers of water. Good luck and let us know what if anything turns up.
    and in the shop 4 straight days. It took a 1.5 days to diagnose for a new valve body for the transmission and 2 days to get the part. Now I'm waiting for the results and when can I pick it up. Pretty aggravating to have a new car spend 4 days in the shop.
  • innkeeper40innkeeper40 Member Posts: 5
    What is the more critical variable during the BMW vehicle break-in period...RPM (keeping them below 4,500) or top end (not exceeding 100 MPH) for the first 1,200 miles? While picking up my 330i last month in Munich I spend several miles in the 105 to 110 MPH range but never exceeded 4,000 RPM...My rep at the ED delivery center only told me about the RPM limit (which he told me was 4,000). I don't recall him ever telling me not to exceed 100 MPH. At that point, I had not had time to read the owners manual. Do you think I did any damage to the engine? Thanks.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    Well the short answer is - Both can be equally damaging, however breaking any of these limits will very unlikely damage the engine. In fact you can start red-lining the car from day one and drive at full throttle on the autobahn for hours, and still be fine.

Now the long answer as to which is more damaging. It really depends on the car. Revving the engine is intuitively worse, as it creates a lot of racket. (But intuition is not always right - for instance lugging the engine is actually worse - it creates the most stress on the engine.) Driving at high speed is also stressful for the engine - the engine has to do a lot of work. So prolonged driving at high speed (even at low revolutions) is not easy on the engine. However, the most important factor in the equation is the engine. In other words there is no magical speed that applies to all engines. If the engine has to struggle to reach 100mph (as was the case with me a month ago when I traveled to Germany and rented a small POS Fiat) then that is worse. Any 6 cylinder BMW (even the 2.5 liter) will be fine at that speed. If you have the 3.0 liter or M3 engine, then 100-110mph is definitely not too hard on the engine.
    I don't know what a transmission valve body is, but it sounds like one of those $.99 parts causing the whole mess.

Ken
  • mkarlmkarl Member Posts: 3
    We have a 2001 325iA with about 7000 miles.
    The "service engine" light was illuminated shortly
    after the car was delivered. Having been assured
    by the service department that this was probably
    something minor, and could wait until the car was
    first serviced (1 year later), we delayed service.

After eight months (and 4 service visits), it was
    determined that we had a defective computer, which
    was replaced. Not surprisingly, the car is
    performing much better.

My question is.....does driving 7000 miles with
    a faulty DME computer cause any hidden damage to the engine. Should we be concerned that the delay in repair caused some problem which will
    show up in the future.

Thanks in advance.
    I still don't know what it is, but I saw it lying on the shop floor covered in fluid the other morning. It was not small, rather about 24" and 1.5" diameter. The most aggravating aspect was the lack of communication, as if I should have been happy just knowing the car was in the shop.

Well, its back now, and while I hadn't noticed anything amiss before, the car is driving fine.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The valve body is the assembly which contains most of the valves and solenoids which regulate and direct hydraulic pressure to various automatic transmission components to operate it. Btw, that transmission is a GM Hydramatic built in Strasbourg, France for BMW. The "$.99 part" valve body retail price is $1,873 Cdn plus gaskets and fluid.
  • lftlft Member Posts: 1
    I too experienced periodic "moaning" - like noises on my 01 325i SportWagon when shifting from 1-2 at low speeds. BMW examined, and the BMW replaced my tranny (steptronic by the way...). Although I was concerned at first, they did a great job, and the transmission functions perfectly. They could have probably opened up the transmission - but instead, replaced the entire unit! Kudos to BMW for doing the right thing!
  • leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    I have a '95 325 (I know it isn't an E46), and the passenger seat was reclined and now it will not go back up. I hear the motor working, but the seat does not budge. Any suggestions?
  • hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    I'd be more concerned about a dealer service department that advises you to effectively ignore an engine service light. What a bunch of knuckleheads! I'd be wary of ANY service they did. Find another dealer service center and have them check it out. The one you are using now does not deserve your money.

HiC
  • likalarlikalar Member Posts: 108
    Hi, great boards!!! I sold a '00 328Coupe to get a Saab wagon. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!! Now, 6 months later the Saab's almost gone and I'm giving a serious look at a 2000 323iT, stick shift wagon, 22,000 miles (being sold by an independent "high-end" dealer of luxo cars). I've gone over the car with a fine tooth comb; Drives great, everything works, and the car has all new fluids, pads, tires, etc, installed by the indy's shop. My vin# "search" turns up no red flags, but shows the car was a lease and recently bought at auction in LA. The factory books are with the car, but there are no dealer stamps in the service book, and no service records. The selling dealer says "no problem, the car is factory guaranteed, and includes service visits". Fine, but... Does anyone know how I can find out if the 15000 mile service was performed? I have the vin #. Or if it ever necessary to prove to BMW that it was performed if I have problems in the future? Thanks for taking the time...
    Larry in SF, CA
    Actually, on the E46 with the mileage this car has on it, it will be fairly easy to determine if the service was performed. Each time you start the car, the mileage remaining before the next service displays for a few seconds. To the best of my knowledge, only a BMW dealer has the equipment to reset that display, and they do that when they do the service on the car. In this case, when you start that car, you should see something like 7500 (plus or minus 700 or so), which would indicate that the car was serviced shortly before it hit 15,000 miles.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    <<...Each time you start the car, the mileage remaining before the next service displays for a few seconds....>>
    Thank you; I'll look at that tomorrow. Can I ask another question (If this is the wrong board, let me know)? The '00 323iT I'm looking at (and drove) is claimed to have the Sport Package; but I don't have the original factory window sticker. Yes, it has the sport seats. Does that mean the sport package is there for sure, or can the sport seats be had without the sport suspension?? Is there a body label with factory options hidden somewhere or other obvious sport package components I should look for to confirm that the car has the factory sport package??? Again, thank you.
    Larry
    To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to get the Sport Seats without the rest of the Sport Package. There are several clues to look for, 1) the 2000 323iT with the SP has 225 section width tires on 16" rims, the non-SP cars have 205 section width tires on either 15" or 16" rims, 2) if you sit the SP and the non-SP cars side-by-side, the SP equipped car will sit about a half inch lower, and 3) the seats and steering wheel will be different.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Again Shipo, thanks. I'm seeing the wagon again today. With that tire/seat info, now I feel informed enough to actually put down the $$$.
    -Grateful,
    Larry
  • mchwemchwe Member Posts: 23
    i have just purchased a 330ci 2001 with 9000 miles on it. it has the sport package and michelin pilots.

i didn't notice it at first, but there is quite a bit of noise that sounds like mild grinding, while going at slow speeds. i notice it when the clutch is down, and it is not engine or brake noise.

is this appropriate to have this much road noise with the sport package? i am otherwise thrilled with the car's acceleration, braking and steering responsiveness. i also have the luxury package, and the interior is just beautiful!

thanks for your comments!
    I have heard scattered comments about the noise made by Michelin Pilot Sport tires. I have no idea if this is a universal problem, or just isolated to some cars. Personally, I hope this is not a blanket problem, as I just took delivery of a new 530i SP with these same tires.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mchwemchwe Member Posts: 23
    the fellow i bought the car from gave me the impression that the pilots were preferable to the other tire option (i don't know what the others were) in the sport package.

supposedly, they have better treadwear. indeed, my tires have 9000 miles, and appear only minimally worn.

as for their performance, the car is phenomenally sticky: i bet you'll be happy, as long as you don't mind the noise.
    After having the (outer) valve body experience, I've been noticing a strange groan or grinding noise when reversing the car. I'm not sure if its the brakes or what. Any insight?
  • b5280b5280 Member Posts: 1
    I am experiencing a rattle noise from my 2002 325i. The continuous noise comes out when I drive on third gear. It disappears when I push the stick forward, but you know, I can't rest my hand like that. Sometime I can hear it when it is on 5th gear, I guess it is hard to notice because of louder noise from outside with higher speed. Feels like the stick is not engaged in position, some space left between. What kind of problem it might indicate? Just want to know if anybody else experienced this problem before. Thanks.
  • widriver2widriver2 Member Posts: 36
    Hi,

I'm planning on ordering a new 3-series soon and am considering the HK stereo. I've read past complaints about rattles with the HK stereo and was wondering if that has been corrected on the new models.

Thanks

Karl
  • agrafagraf Member Posts: 8
    Hi:
    I just bought a '95 325I with plenty of experience (miles). Is is definitelly a very well put together car, very refined and tight. I have been doing miscelaneous fixes to restore its former glory. Have some of you ever replaced the AC filter? I have been trying to remove the glove compartment but have not been successful. Do you know if there are any secret fasteners to the glove compartment. I removed the six obvious ones but the thing did not move, and I am afraid of damaging something is I pry harder.

Thanks for any help.

Alex
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    Has anyone had a hard to find rattle coming from the rear seat area? I did on my 2001 325i and it was driving me crazy! Initially I though it was a seat belt, but after rearranging the belts two or three times, I finally popped off the cover of the 3rd brake light and found everything inside about to come apart. I stuffed a shop towel in there until I get to the dealer (it looked as if at least one fastener was broken), and the rattle completely disappeared. I was surprised to find something like this on a BMW and it's the only problem I've had in nine months of ownership.
    I have rattles in the front speakers of my car. I have a 2002 330i with the HK upgrade. I have noticed the base radio also has rattles. I had the dealer replace the speakers, but to no avail. So I gave up on the issue as it mostly affects talk radio AM. When I listen to FM or CDs the system sounds great. I recommend the upgrade as it gives the sound a panache that the base setup does not have.
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    We drove my wife's '02 325Ci on a 600 mile trip yesterday. I filled up the tank when we left. About 250 miles later the "service engine" light stayed on when I started it after a rest stop. I called a dealer at a town some 50 miles later, and he asked if I had filled the tank in the last 24 hours. I told him I had, and I could not swear that I got the cap on tight. He went on to say that the car would have to go through 20 run/stop cycles before the light would clear after I tightened the cap.

Just wondering if anyone else has run into this situation, especially the 20-cycles situation.

The car ran great and handled perfectly in the torrential rains that hit the Dallas area yesterday. The computer said it got 32MPG for the 600 miles. (Yeah, I drive the speed limit).
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Just wondering if anyone else has run into this situation, especially the 20-cycles situation

I haven't personally encountered this, but it sounds familiar from reading posts.

I would trust your dealer on this one.

-murray
  • 1johann1johann Member Posts: 32
    Anyone on the board with experience with VOB ??
  • rx7bmwrx7bmw Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 328i w/sport package and have recently gotten a bad creaking noise from the front end suspension. Has anyone else experienced this? It started happening only when the temperature outside was over 70 degrees, but now it's starting to happen more often. When I push down on the front left suspension I get a 'click' noise and if I turn the steering wheel the sound is more pronounced. Any ideas?
  • nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    While my wife's '02 325Ci does not have this problem, you describe the same symptoms we had on our former '98 Olds Intrigue. The strut was the problem. They did solve the clicking noise with a new strut, but the creaking sound remained. GM claimed that the creaking was due to the design of the internal valves in the strut; I never believed that claim.

I would suggest an inspection of the suspension to see if any rocks or debris are stuck between parts. Then, spray some silicone lube on any bushings. If the problem persists, I would replace the strut. We just learned to live with the creaking on the Olds; kinda got immune to it.
  • dkempledkemple Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2000 323i and I am unable to locate the interior trunk release. I looked in the owner's manual and found out that it should be located in the driver's side footwell (right above the hood release), but there is no button! It doesn't appear that this item is an option. Can anyone tell me if I'm looking in the wrong place or why I can't find the button?
    Your car does not nave a trunk release button, that was/is strictly a 328i/330i feature. FWIW, after over 3 years with my 328i, I used my button exactly once, and that was to find out if it worked, the rest of the time, I either used the trunk release button on the key, or used the button above the license plate.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dkempledkemple Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info...makes me wonder why they show it in the owner's manual for the 323i. I have found myself using the interior trunk release quite a bit (increased security at hotels and airport, etc). Can I open the trunk with the trunk release button on the key when the key is in the ignition?
    Ummm, good question, I never tried it, however, on my 530i (which replaced my 328i), the key must be out of the ignition before the trunk release button will work.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I just replaced the front pads and rotors on my 92 325i. Had slight steering wheel vibration/shake at braking. New pads and rotors took care of it.

Make sure you have 7mm allen wrench for the caliper, and 16mm wrench/socket for caliper mounting bracket.
  • rshaw11rshaw11 Member Posts: 52
    Can some please explain how DRL's work. Do they come on when the engine is started, or do you have to have the Headlight switch is a certain position. I had the dealer activate them in the Car Memory, but can't seem to get them to work. Also am having the same problem with the Seat Position Memory and Auto Locking After Car in Motion, these arn't working either. I'm beginning to suspect that the dealer didn't do a very good job.