Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    All cars from every manufacturer that sells cars in North America (BMW included) are designed to run with gasoline that contains up to 10% ethanol by weight (see page 169 in your Owner's Manual).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • circlewcirclew Member Posts: 8,666
    Shipo, off topic but check it out...it gave me goosebumps!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=126092

Regards,
    OW
  • kirkrkirkr Member Posts: 17
    Shipo,

I was hoping you would respond. Thanks for the info. I would like to keep the car for 100k plus miles, since 90% of my driving are highway miles - nice paved county roads with very little traffic.

Regards,
    Kirk
    Thanks for the memories, I actually drove my 1970 Challenger (RIP) down some of those same roads in Nevada back in the later 1970s (oddly enough before I ever saw the movie).

While the 1970 in this comparison is one some serious steroids, I have absolutely no doubt that the new SRT8 would suck the doors off or my old car. :)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Geez, with that kind of driving I'm thinking that you'd be easily able to keep your car for an easy quarter of a million miles. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    No one can stop the memories! Kowalski lives on! Super, Super Soul!

(Gotta love those Coronets and the troopers who obviously never attended a CCA course!)

Regards,
    OW
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    Whatever happened to Cleavon Little? :confuse:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Tragically he died of colon cancer on 22-Oct-1992. :(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    I've got a great British book entitled Road Movies. It discusses Vanishing Point(as well as another classic, Two Lane Blacktop) in some detail. It includes comments from VP director Richard Sarafian. Among the more interesting statements, Sarafian reveals:
    "I wanted George C. Scott for the part but the studio insisted on Newman..."
    "I had a better ending. The thing was that Kowalski drives towards the bulldozers and he sees a gap between them, and he goes for it, and he makes it. And the(sic) Super Soul, who's been sensing Kowalski's feelings throughout the thing, goes 'YEAH!'"
    Richard Zanuck(boss of 20th Century Fox at the time)"...wouldn't allow the ending where Kowalski gets through..."

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

BTW, the car against the bulldozer is a '67 Camaro! No way they'd wreck that classic!

I would have loved it if Kowalski made it! But, it is what it was! Here is an interesting take-two

When the bulldozers drop the blades, the blades overlap by about a foot, there is no gap between them. The next shot, a frontal camera shot, shows a gap between the blades, and there's a gap between them in every shot after that.

Yet another:

SPOILER: The hood that is sent hurtling into the air in the final crash scene is not the same hood as on Kowalski's car. His Challenger had dual faux hood scoops, but the white hood that is ejected from the crashed car has no scoops. Also, the hood is pristine, and it is doubtful that the hood of a 1970 Challenger would have remained undamaged after hitting a pair of bulldozers at a high rate of speed.

Two Lane Blacktop was another great movie which highlighted what a good mechanic can do for a driver. Gotta love that line... "I'll check the jets..."

The Mechanic never talks when he's working, as the Driver never talks when he's driving. The Driver closes his eyes. The Mechanic works on.

Regards,
    OW
  • gurmehargurmehar Member Posts: 2
    1999....i asked another person and he revealed it was because there was no water in the car, after checking it appeared so.
    If you ran that engine with no water for more than a few minutes I'd suggest that a compression check and a leakdown test be performed. BMW engines don't like to be overheated.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Looks like I'll have to take the car in soon... I'm at 88.1K miles and the light came on again.

I'll have them check the oil separator valve and replace if needed... anything else I should have them look into?
  • imgnohcimgnohc Member Posts: 4
    I just got a phone call from my local dealer in Santa Monica, CA that I need to bring my 2008 328I Coupe immediately for a software upgrade. A recall has been put in place. When I asked for more details on exactly what type of "upgrade" it was, the person I spoke to had no technical information. My service advisor is supposed to call me back but I've yet to get a call yet.

Has anyone else heard anything about this recall?

By the way, my 7 month old car has been in service for the 15 days and counting and they don't believe I will get it back for another 3 weeks. I wonder if its related to all the other problems I've been having with my car...
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Member Posts: 154
    I picked up 328xi last week and I noticed the smell too. Went away now. I think its just oil to provent rust or something.. .
  • ericlau01ericlau01 Member Posts: 15
    Last week, after I filled up gas and pulled away from the gas station, the car stalled. It wouldn't restart after multiple attempts. So had it towed to the nearest BMW dealership, luckily 1 mile away.

Initial assessment was the Fuel Control Module, so it was replaced. The problem remained. Reassessment found it was the Fuel Pump, so it was replaced as well.

The service advisor indicated that there is currently a recall for the 328i fuel pump. I'm not sure if other years/models are implicated as well. So new BMW owners should inquire with your dealerships.

After driving 15,000 miles and the fuel pump fails, what does this indicate? Maybe this was just a random isolated occurrence...
    After driving 15,000 miles and the fuel pump fails, what does this indicate?

Probably nothing more than the fact that BMW got a number of bad fuel pumps from one of their suppliers. BMW fuel pumps usually last for at least 120K. Out of The eight BMWs I've owned since 1983 I've only had to replace one- on my 130K 1987 535is. Don't sweat it.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    this may be what he's referring to--it's not a recall (which are mandatory replacements for safety) but rather a Technical Service Bulletin, an advisory for dealers.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/B125506g.htm
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    That recall applies to the twin turbo engine. It's a high pressure fuel pump unique to that engine.
    Ah, okay thanks. I couldn't find any other TSBs on fuel pumps on the list. I searched all my resources. It must be a new TSB, fairly recent? Or maybe a dealer fantasy report, one of those "yes, we have our best people working on it". Maybe the specialty BMW forums know about it?

Well you know, statistically, a small percentage of cars per 100 are going to have some glitches. On a chronic problem, even a 1-3% failure rate isn't all that unusual. Some cars (to remain nameless) have recorded 8-10% failure rates on certain components, and that is totally unacceptable and basically a disaster level percentage for customer satisfaction. I don't think 3 series BMWs have ever even approached that level unless maybe the early run-flats.
    I'm thinking the radiator auxuliary cooling fan debacle from the 2001 vintage E46s easily blew through the 10% failure rate. With that fan, it wasn't a matter of if, it was a matter of when it would fail. As I recall, BMW ponied up and replaced every fan out in the field, regardless of whether it failed or not.

Strictly put, the problem was with one of BMWs suppliers, however, BMW took it on the chin due to this issue in CR and other publications of that ilk.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I'm going to be replacing my water pump within the next couple of weeks...
    At the same time, I figured it would make sense to replace the thermostat, hoses, and belts. Is there anything else you guys would recommend I do while the car is at that level of disassembly?

The car is an '01 330Ci w/~140K miles.

Thanks!
    I'd go ahead and replace the thermostat housing as well as the idler pullies. I'd also say that the radiator-if original-is also living on borrowed time. OTOH, I've found BMW coolant hoses to be unusually durable; my 113K 1995 318ti is still on its original hoses. Still, if you want to replace them I'd only use BMW parts.

radiator! The clock is ticking!
    okay... a radiator has been added to the shopping list. OEM the best way to go? The only way?
    I don't think they are all that expensive, but if you have a good independent BMW repair shop that you go to, I'm sure they have a parts source for a radiator.
    Zionsville? Something like that.. out of Indiana..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

The all-metal Zionsville radiator is a very nice piece, but if you aren't going to track the car or keep it for another 100K the OEM part is a relatively inexpensive alternative. I'd also change the expansion tank while I was at it.

I'll probably go with the cheaper OEM part. I have no idea how much longer I'll have the car, but it's the first one I've owned for more than 100K miles without getting bored. Since my 1st radiator has lasted for 140K miles, the next one should last at least until BMW adds a dipstick to the 135 and I get "the itch" again... ;)
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    ". . .should last at least until BMW adds a dipstick to the 135. . ."

Are you planning to live forever?

When BMW brings the dipstick back (along with real tires & a self-maintenance-friendly approach in general), I'll be among the first in line. Many discuss Asian "appliances," but the BMW has turned into one as well -- excellent handling (of course), but an appliance all the same. One is expected to take it to the dealer for everything. The Honda I recenctly bought has lots of useful do-it-yourself info in the owners manual (not the service book), just like the old days.

I read Roundel every month from cover to cover. It's clear that the people who write it and participate so enthusiastically are no longer the target audience for the current vehicles. The Roundel crowd are very much my kind of people. Those who pick things like dipstickless-engines & RFTs (& pinch pennies such that the oil level sensor isn't reliable) -- not so much.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I read Roundel every month from cover to cover. It's clear that the people who write it and participate so enthusiastically are no longer the target audience for the current vehicles. The Roundel crowd are very much my kind of people. Those who pick things like dipstickless-engines & RFTs (& pinch pennies such that the oil level sensor isn't reliable) -- not so much.

The Roundel crowd buys BMWs to drive.
    Sadly, most modern BMW owners prefer to wear them.

• motorpoolmotorpool Member Posts: 1
    I recently changed the engine in my 1995 BMW 318I. The engine that I bought has 78 thousand miles on it. When I changed out the motor, I also put in a new clutch pressure plate and throughout bearing. To make sure the engine is running right, I had an engine diagnostic test ran. I had to replace the map sensor and the oxygen sensor. After starting the engine and putting it into first gear the RPM’s are why too high between first and second gear during shifting. From the time that I shift from first to second the engine is tacing at 4000 and the car isn’t even go 10 miles per hour. It has the same problem from second to third and so forth. In 5th gear I’m driving 70 mph and the car’s RPM’s are 3500. Do you know what the problem could be?
    Presuming your tach is accurate, sounds like you have a defective clutch.
  • skinhealerskinhealer Member Posts: 33
    Wanted to find out how much people paid for the BMW Service Maintenance Warranty for a 328 XI 2008 model. And is it worth it to buy one.
  • akajimboakajimbo Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001 330ci and is starts to have yellow engine warning lights for couple of seconds when I turn on the ignition and start to drive. Then it goes away and doesn't show up while I am driving. I've look the maual and it mentions about red light and blinking red lights. Yellow light is nowhere to be found. has anyone experienced this problem? What is the likely caues and how I can fix this?
    Thnaks in advance.
  • hoodoomusichoodoomusic Member Posts: 16
    Had the same issue last year on my E46. Dealership replaced a sensor (O2 sensor i think?) that was going bad. Before you go, make sure that you gas cap is on properly... I've heard that this could also cause that issue... Good luck!
    Take it to Autozone and they will read the fault codes for free. No point in guessing when you can know for sure what the problem is.

If it's the yellow "service engine soon" light, then I agree with the previous reponses. If, however, it's the yellow oil "can" light, and your oil level checks out okay, then it's probably the oil level sending unit. I think it's a pretty common problem in these cars (my 2001 330Ci is suffering from the same thing). I picked up the sending unit from bavauto.com and will replace it during my next oil change. It ~appears~ to be a very easy fix... 3 bolts and a wiring connector... in the bottom of the oil pan.
    I took a VAC day today and finally got around to doing my radiator, waterpump, thermostat, belts, hoses, etc. A couple of observations and a possible problem.

Nothing was easy to take apart! I guess 140K miles and 7 years helps parts create a nearly impenetrable bond.

Everything old was in amazingly good condition. Based on what I saw, it looked like the belts and hoses could have gone another 140K miles. Radiator was fine. Water pump fins looked good, but it didn't turn as freely as the new one.

The new parts all assembled very easily. I especially like the hoses with the built in clips so there was no dealing with hose clamps.

The problem: when taking it apart, according to Bentley, the main drive belt tensioner should have created slack in the belt when turning the nut clockwise. I turned it and it just turned, it didn't move the pulley. No problem I thought, and I just cut the old belt off. Then it hit me that I will have to put the new belt on. As of now, I'm not really sure how I'm going to do that. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    BMW water hoses are remarkably long-lived. I still have the originals on my 1995 318ti. As for the tensioner, do these pictures help?

Looking at the pics, that's what I expected to see... that cast-in hex on the tensioner.. the tensioner for the auxillary belt has one. However, I didn't see anything like that on the main belt tensioner. It has what appears to be a bolt running through it at the pivot point (under a black plastic dust cover). Its pretty much exactly where the casted one is on the pics. Definitely not the one through the pulley, though!

I'm away from home right now but we're heading back tonight. I'll take another look around at that point. Hopefully I just missed something.

Thanks!!
    I just noticed that the guy who wrote that up has an '01 330CiC. That ~should~ look exactly like my '01 330Ci. I'm pretty sure that I suffered from temporary insanity and when I look again, I'll see exactly what the pics show.
    Looked again and I absolutely don't see what those pictures showed. I think I have a different setup or I'm really confused and shouldn't be working on my own car... ever! Here's a diagram from realOEM.com (a pretty neat site for finding part #s)...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN53&mospid=47713&btnr=11_2190&hg=- 11&fg=18

It's part #21 on this diagram.
    Something happened to the link above and it no longer works. I did however find this on Pelican Parts' website...

"Some cars came with mechanical water pump/alternator belt tensioner assemblies while others came with a hydraulic type. Note that the mechanical style is only available as an assembly - the bearing or pulley is not available separately. Therefore, it is important to identify which style is on your vehicle BEFORE placing your order."

They sell the mechanical type and it looks like the one in the pics you sent, so I must have the hydraulic type. I'm still not sure how to "activate" it though. I managed to get the new belt on by manually swinging the tensioner... no easy task :sick:
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Spent the weekend in Indiana at a driving school and didn't have time to check back in... :(

No problem! I appreciate the help you did provide!

While you were learning/perfecting heel-toe downshifts, I was learning/perfecting a wide variety of new cuss words and finding out how much blood can pour from my knuckles before I pass out... :P

For future knowledge, do you have any idea how the hydraulic tensioners work? I don't know if mine is faulty or if I'm faulty, but I could not figure out how to loosen the tension on the belt.

Thanks!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    "While you were learning/perfecting heel-toe downshifts. . ."

Mr. 'burner is probably too classy to mention this, but I'm not. He teaches at these things. Been around BMWs for a long time and a real asset to the boards.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Cool!

BTW, I can work with that too... While you were teaching heel-toe downshifts, I was teaching my 14 y.o. son, who was helping out, some new cuss words. :D
    For future knowledge, do you have any idea how the hydraulic tensioners work?

As I understand it, the hydraulic tensioners maintain a more consistent belt tension due to the inherent damping function of the hydraulic cylinder.