Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    2 weeks after I turn the code off, SES light came back on. Took it to the shop but was not the MAF. The shop will look at Crankcase next.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    HI, I need advice on potential need for alignment. I brought my 2002 325 xit wagon in last night to have the rims with snow tires taken off and replaced by the summer tires. I noticed that all four tiress seemed to have a bit more wear on the inside. The wagon track straight on highway without any pulling. My past experience with alignment problem seemed to have more wear on the same side of the two front tires and the pulling to one side of the car as the result. I took the car to a mechanics (known for his honesty) this morning. He drove the car and said there was no alignment problem. He said everything was good and tight.

Somehow I remember reading somewhere that BMW has very aggressive alignment settings which could lead to tire wear unevenly. Is this true? Should I insist having the alignment done in this case? Help!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like alignment issue to me, or perhaps specs knocked out because of worn suspension parts. If you can notice the wear pattern, then it's significant IMO.
  • xeyexeye Member Posts: 168
    Try driving only in reverse for a few thousand miles. That ought to wear the tires evenly all 'round.

It's important, as well, to try to ensure that you make as many left-hand turns as right-hand turns over the life of the tires. If not, the car gets "used" to turning one way more than the other and can lead to uneven wear, and even boredom.

Really, sometimes this forum takes itself way too seriously.

Have fun driving! I love my 335xi. WHOOOOSH!

By the way, is there any scuttlebutt out there about the 2011 and 2012 model years for the 335? My '07 will be out of warranty by next August and it'll be time to decide whether to maintain it or try to find a way to fund a new one. Assuming I'm still in New England, it'll definitely be x-drive.

Someone should tell BMW designers that the hokey "XDrive" stick-on behind the front wheels makes it look like a Toyota.

Just my $0.02.
    Mr. Shiftright, thanks for sharing your thoughts about the alignment issue.
    I'll bring the car in to an alignment shop to check up the suspension.
    Bimmers are known to have control arm wear, so maybe that or maybe just dial in the camber a bit. It's hard for me to say how urgent it is because I can't see the tire wear. There is a similar looking situation called "feathering", which is a toe-in rather than a camber issue.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    I was hoping some of you BMW people could help answer a question I have about the BMW maintenance program they offer and I see on TV! they say it is the best in the business in that all the normal maintenance stuff is free the first 4 yrs you have the car, ie oil, filters, fluids, wipers, brakes, and rotors, anything else I'm missing? are these items actually free or do you have to pay some kind of like $200 fee up front at the time of leasing or financing to cover all this during the 4 yrs? how does it actually work? I would love someone to please explain so I can understand it in more detail! thank you in advance!!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,268
    Except for tires, gas and insurance, you will generally spend nothing other than your finance/lease payment for the first four years or 50K miles, whichever comes first..

It really is that comprehensive...

And, it's fully transferable... .the maintenance plan goes with the car, so if you sell it, the new owner gets the plan... no extra charge..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    :P :P :P

I told my salesman i wanted the "x drive'' badge off the car when it was delivered, of course it was still there and he said that the tech's were hesitant to take it off for fear of damaging the paint.
  • jayvisjayvis Member Posts: 76
    The only thing on a 3 series that looks like a Toyota is the Corolla rear end.
    The windshield if damaged by stone chip or road debris, is not covered.
    The shop came back and replaced the MAF.... so 3 months after installing K&N filter, SES comes on. $500 repair. The car is out of warranty. :mad:

http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    MAFs fail all the time. It may very well have absolutely no relation to the filter. I mean, if I put in splitfire spark plugs and the transmission fails a week later, it doesn't mean the 2 are related.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,314
    Yes, but oiled gauze/foam filters can contaminate a MAF sensor to the extent that it has to be replaced.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Any actual proof of this? And I'm not talking anecdotal evidence. I am curious because I use these filters myself and have yet to have any problems, so if it is something I should be avoiding ....

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

I think the fairest thing one could say is that improper oiling of the foam filter can cause MAF failure, yes.
  • jamiem4jamiem4 Member Posts: 23
    My son (active duty) just bought a 2002 325i with 92K miles and we decided to store it but have it 'checked out.' The dealership (of course) noted that the clutch is getting close to its end of life, the drive shaft assembly is 'split', another joint needs replacing, needs new everything regarding filters and the valve-cover gasket has a slight leak. Would you recommend having the dealer fix it (no warranties were extended) or take it to someone else. The total cost from the dealer is ~5K which seems crazy for a car with 92K miles.
    edited March 2010
    Well I don't see why a good independent shop can't do a minor service and change all the filters if indeed they are due (how does the dealer know this anyway?). As for the driveshaft, a simple run up on the lift should spot that. Clutch? You don't replace a clutch until it starts to slip, so forget that. A valve cover gasket leak, a "slight" one, might need nothing more than a little snugging up (gently, gently).

Not sure what this other "joint" is unless they mean u-joint. Here again, a run on the lift should identify any serious problem.

Point is: there is "tolerable" wear in various components and "intolerable" wear. Just because a part does a little jiggle or shows some play doesn't mean it's bad. This isn't a new car and I don't think we need to let the dealer try to make it one.
    Many thanks!! I think the items were "clutch is at its end of life", and the guibo joint needs replacing...also the fuel filter, valve gasket, brake fluid, engine filter, drive shaft assembly joint, and a left rear side ground wire (althought the break light does come on when you engage the breaks). Technically I think a trip to a local may do the trick but is there any advantage to havning BMW replace the clutch/guibo assembly? Given its $1800 price tag...I'm not so sure...I don't want my son to return and drive a car that isn't safe so I thought I would repair what I can while he is deployed. Thanks!!!
    OK. I can buy that. Not knowing what you are doing is always a detriment to your car.

I figured guibo when you mentioned the assembly. U-joint, as shifty mentioned, is the joint in question.

Also, as shifty said, if the cluch ain't slipping, it doesn't need replacing. Sounds like the shop is overreaching here.

Is it really leaking oil? If so, fix that. fuel filter, brake fluid, air filter ... sure, all good maintenance items. And, once again, reierating shifty, take it to an indy shop for all of that. I know my local bimmer shop wants $100 for a lousy oil change. No thank you!

Thanks again...I'm making a list of what to have fixed and where! The BMW dealer said that the 'valve cover gasket has a slight leak' and to replace it is $661. I'm not a mechanic but I do realize gaskets will wear over time and it is a used car. I'm just not sure of the price. I just don't want my son to return, drive the car, and have something bad happen if I could have spent a few hundred to prevent it. I get the feeling that at 92K there will be normal wear items. I just wonder if there are any mentioned items that should go to BMW instead of the local "import car repair center"
    edited March 2010
    The dealer is hosing you big time; no way does it cost $600+ dollars to R&R an E46 valve cover gasket. I'd start looking for a good independent BMW tech here. A good indie shop will service your car properly for much less than the dealer that is trying to gouge you.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

Speaking for myself, I have a BMW "product", a MINI, which can be serviced at a BMW dealer, and the *only* things I would take the car there for might be....might be...very complicated electrical/computer work that could require access to esoteric tools or information.

Regarding the valve cover, there is a "leak" and there is what we call "weepage". A leak might drip on the ground or foul electrical parts, but weepage is not much more than a smudge of oil, a thumbprint of oil, so to speak, which does not require anything more than occasional observation.
    Regarding the valve cover, there is a "leak" and there is what we call "weepage". A leak might drip on the ground or foul electrical parts, but weepage is not much more than a smudge of oil, a thumbprint of oil, so to speak, which does not require anything more than occasional observation.

I'd be willing to bet that any leak or seepage is coming from the left rear corner of the valve cover. It eventually starts to drip on to the exhaust manifold and you'll start to notice a burning oil smell in the passenger compartment. Replacing the gasket isn't rocket science, but it is a bit fiddly- you have to pull the coils and so on. My secretary had the same issue on her E46 325i and my local indie shop fixed it for less than $200.

My secretary had the same issue on her E46 325i and my local indie shop fixed it for less than $200.

Yup. That sounds much more in the ballpark. 2 hours @ $80/hr and $20 for the gasket.

$661 is insane. Sounds much more like a quote for a head gasket job.

• uncletouncleto Member Posts: 45
    Have a 325xi wagon that cigarette lighter is not working. does anybody knows what could be the fix. i used it to charge my cellphone.maybe its the fuse? any imputs will be much appreciated. dont know how much will they charge me if i go to the dealer.
    Fuse is always the first place to look.

• carol47carol47 Member Posts: 1
    I tried jump starting, but the engine didn't turn over even once. the headlights turn on, as well as the interior lights and radio. I plan to get it towed to the BMW dealer tomorrow but want to get an idea as to the cause if someone has had a similar experience and it turned out to be something other than the battery.
    I'd still check the battery first. Have it load tested before the dealer starts throwing expensive parts at the problem.

Just got back from the mechanic and replace the fuse for the cigarette lighter also had him check the front suspension cause im hearing som noise coming front axle. told me i needed both lower front control arm, ball joint and bushings. $900 parts, $380 for labor, ouch! forgot to ask him if could just repl. the bushings and ball joints. the car is 2001 325xi wagon, 70000m on it. do you think the price is reasonable, is it really necessary to repl. the control arm. i wish it was just easy for me to do, but im not that hands on.im gonna jack up the car later and check how bad it is. Thanks again for the imput youve been giving!
    Your mechanic is quoting a fair price for those parts; MSRP is $840-$950 depending on the supplier. The control arms should be replaced if the ball joint on the control arm is bad.

Thanks Roadbummer for the input! anyway, got underneath the car a awhile ago and try to physically check any signs of wear. tried also to shake the control arm. all i could see is rust around the ball joints. inspect the arm bushing and try to duplicate the thump noise i hear everytime i come across uneven surface on the road.is there anymore test that i can do. can i still drive the car just avoid the potholes. thinking of getting another second opinion from another mechanic. thanks again guys for the response!
    My mistake, Roadburner! not paying attention to the spelling. sorry again for the name calling.
    "Thanks Roadbummer"

:P :P
  • rnahouraiirnahouraii Member Posts: 22
    Being a new 2007 328i owner, is an extended warranty worth it (now 45k miles)? I see that many of you suggest independent shops for repair. The warranty is $1900 for 5 yrs. and a total of 100k miles, zero deduct.
  • hamjoel09hamjoel09 Member Posts: 2
    My daughter was on her way back to college and called to say her car was acting 'weird". Just the day before she ran out of gas, but insisted the gas gauge read a quarter tank. Now, her cars lights, flashers, dash instruments, indicators lights, etc are all garbled. She stopped and turned the car off, but the dash instrumentation stayed on and in the same garbled state. At first, she was able to restart the car, and turned to head home, but eventually the car just stopped.
    I disconnected the battery and towed the car home. Tried to reconnect the battery once home, same result, and car wont start, but sounds like the battery is low on charge.
    Before I start looking into this again tomorrow, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Alternator comes to mind.
    So a bird "relieved" himself on my jet black paint job the other day. Knowing that time is of the essence, I poured some water on it then slowly wiped away with a damp cloth. Well, now I have some nice scratches where the poop was. Guess I have to find some scratch remover.
    Doc,

I can sympathize. My wife has several bird feeders in our back yard. Guess what happens when they gorge themselves on the seed? Upon take-off, they drop baggage on my Sparkling Graphite Metallic 335xi to lighten their loads. Sometimes it looks like ostriches have been feeding there. I really hate it especially after I've spent 20 minutes wiping down the entire car after a good car wash.

I've found that the best protection is a good detail job with marine wax. The finish seems to survive a gentle scrubbing with a wet gas station squeegee sponge to loosen the crud. I have a good detail guy in Natick, MA, if you're in the area.

Good luck.
  • hamjoel09hamjoel09 Member Posts: 2
    would you expect to see the weird dash behavior if the alternator failed?
    I agree that the other behavior (obviously running off battery, and drained it to failure eventually) points to the alternator, but the weird dashboard stuff made me think there might be a short somewhere.
    I will have the alternator tested today. would be nice if it were that simple.
    Hi, Xeye, I'd like to know your detail guy. I live in the next town and can use a good detail job, now the spring is here. Thank you in advance.
    Once the car's overall voltage drops below a certain point, every microprocessor in your car is going to go bananas.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    Once the car's overall voltage drops below a certain point, every microprocessor in your car is going to go bananas.

Shifty, please tell me that once the voltage is restored they un-banana themselves. This hasn't happened to me (yet), but I would hate the thought of a mere voltage drop frying all the electronics.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

Try http://www.expresscardetailing.com/index.htm

Express Car Detailing
    Roberto Viana, Owner
    200 West Central Street
    Natick, MA 01760
    508-652-9188

Roberto is a real character (you can tell him I said so!), and he and his guys do a great job. I have an appointment for April 10th for a full detail (Saturdays are a little tough to book). I'm looking to trade my 335xi for the 2011 version, and it would probably be a good idea to get it prepped.

He'll treat you right.

If you go, tell him Jon, ('07 graphite 335xi and '08 black 328xi) recommended him.
    I don't think a DROP in voltage could harm anything but a spike sure could. :surprise:
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Member Posts: 54
    Once my battery was low and after I stared the engine all kind of symbols appeared on the dashboard. After the battery was recharged the wrong symbols were gone.
    Lehrer
  • pandi13pandi13 Member Posts: 5
    Hi.
    Just bought a 2007 328i with 48k on it. Dealer sticker shows that it is still under warranty. Upon finishing the deal, the salesman told me to bring it immediately to a BMW dealership to have the 45K service.
    As this is my first time to own a BMW/premium car brand, what kind of service on the car should I expect? What kind of BS from the BMW advisor should I expect? :o)
    Any suggestion as to where to bring the car (Atlanta, Buckhead Area), specific instructions on the service advisor? Any info would help! :o)
    Thanks.
    What does Roberto get for a full detailing? My BMW shop sent out fliers the other day for detailing inside and out for $199.99.
    Thanks, Jon.

I'll try to book an appointment sometime in April. Will mention you as the person who recommended him to me.