Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rflrfl Member Posts: 100
    Leaving my 2011 328 convertible (with Comfort Access) in my garage for 1 month in February. Temperature should not go below 40 degrees during that time. Does anyone think it is necessary to put a trickle charger on the battery to prevent a discharge?
  • skj109skj109 Member Posts: 8
    I can't remember where I got it exactly....somewhere like a drugstore that has watch batteries - CVS, RiteAid. I checked at the dealer and they wanted something like $13-$14. I ended up paying around $6 at the drugstore. Hope it works for you!
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    I don't think my issue is a blown fuse since it only affected the driver's side door.
    I can still use the remote to lock all doors and unlock 3 out of 4 doors.
    Central lock works also. Just driver's side door won't respond to remote unlock.
    I am using key to manually unlock, no big deal.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,345
    edited November 2010
    Will it unlock when you hit the lock/unlock button from inside the car? If not, it sounds like a bad actuator.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• uncletouncleto Member Posts: 45
    Hi to everyone! Just want to know any autobody repair shop that you know that i can bring my 3 series for work. my wife just hit a dear and it needs some hopefully not a major front job. if my rates will go up. i might just pay out of pocket. other wise just pay the deductible of $500. I live in Monroe, NY 10950. any recommendation will be much appreiciated. Many thanks!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    An amazing body shop south of you in Rockland County. The name of the place is Eurotech. They do all the body work for the "Prestige" luxury dealers on route 17 in NJ. Your wife's car will be better than new. Wide World BMW also has an excellent body shop, but they are not cheap.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• runningdocrunningdoc Member Posts: 32
    In the 335i sedan (2009), has anyone measured the road clearance in order to purchase a hydraulic jack? It seems to be about 5 1/8" which means a low profile jack should squeeze under the car. Any thoughts or suggestions? With my thanks!
    Im bringing the car for the adjuster to see tomorrow, and im pretty sure it will be in the range of $3000. Hoping the fan, condenser etc... inside the hood components are ok. Cant open the hood thats why not sure how much more. there is no leaking so im assured that the radiator is ok. Thinking of doing out of pocket but since i cant see the inside of the hood, i think im better of letting the insurance cover it. Just bite the bullet when it comes to my rates going up! By the way, did you use Eurotech before?
    Im bringing the car for the adjuster to see tomorrow, and im pretty sure it will be in the range of $3000. Hoping the fan, condenser etc... inside the hood components are ok. Cant open the hood thats why not sure how much more. there is no leaking so im assured that the radiator is ok. Thinking of doing out of pocket but since i cant see the inside of the hood, i think im better of letting the insurance cover it. Just bite the bullet when it comes to my rates going up! By the way, did you use Eurotech before? Do you know the exact address? is that the one in Englewood? Many Thanks!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    I've actually used him to fix my '01 Prelude once. My best friend has used him numerous times. He's the guy that the BMW/Benz/Lexus... Dealers bring their cars to when the lot jockeys smash them up. The guy is a perfectionist.

Wide World BMW has a fantastic body shop too. They've fixed my parents former BMWs perfectly to factory condition. They also leave no stone unturned.

Don't let your insurance company bully you into using their body shop.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    what do you need a jack for with run-flats? :P

but seriously, any standard jack should fit.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    When it comes to A) tire rotations and B) seasonal tire changes, a hydraulic floor jack makes the job go considerably faster. :)
  • runningdocrunningdoc Member Posts: 32
    Correct. While my 335i has different size front and rears (hence no tire rotation), I have winter treads that I wish to put on it. I was also wondering if you can jack the car up anywhere but the four jack points on the sides? It would seem like there would be a front and rear point, so one could utilize a jack stand once they got the car in the air....

Harbor frieght has a low height jack some have suggested - hydraulic... may go with that...

Thanks for any thoughts or input!
    edited November 2010
    I went with a Snap-On aluminum jack. I use it at the track for brake inspections, etc. No Complaints.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    To one and all---do NOT buy those cheap Chinese jacks from chain stores. You'll kill yourself.
  • pt838pt838 Member Posts: 16
    Mr. Shiftright, would you like to clarify your use of the term Chinese?
    edited November 2010
    Imported from China I mean, (either one) and sold at a very low price. Chinese-made. Their lift ratings and integral strength are not well-regulated. Ditto the jack stands. They often look better than they are. It's not so much a problem with the craftsmanship, but rather the metallurgy.
  • rnahouraiirnahouraii Member Posts: 22
    The Snap On jack looks well-made.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    edited November 2010
    The Snap On jack looks well-made.

Ya think?

Snap On tools are the most expensive on the planet. There's a reason those trucks drive around selling tools to major manufacturers (think Honeywell or GE, among many others). Part of it is "pride of ownership" among the professional mechanics. Much of it is, well, something else.

It's why Snap-On rules, at least in the heads of many professional wrench-turners.

The next lower-tier mechanics take pride in Craftsman stuff from Sears.

We all take pride in whether the fix worked, regardless of the tools involved.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    The cost of the jack, at $439, is a totally different issue -- I didn't say whether it was worth this amount or not.

But we're getting off the thread of this topic.
    Well if the subject stays on how to work safely while under your BMW, I think that's okay---this is why I brought it up in the first place. Some $59 floor jacks were tested and found to leak after ten uses! I just want you guys to work safe. Also your BMW owner's manual should tell you where the safe jacking points are, and how to balance the car.

Visiting Host
    I appreciate that.
    Im also in the look out for a Jack, contemplating on getting a craftsman.. but a upon inspection they were made in China, that gave me a second thought. Im still lookong around. The one in the Tire rack looks nice but its beyond my budget, cost like $169.
    I always ask if a jack is rebuildable and if the company who sells it either has the parts or can direct you to a source. If a jack's not rebuildable, then you pretty much have your answer as to quality. I have read (but not confirmed yet) that rigorous testing of various imported jacks selling in the $49-$79 range showed that quite a few of them began to leak after 10 uses....not a typo.....10.

You know, if you're just changing your oil 2X a year, and using jack stands, that might be okay.
    edited November 2010
    We all take pride in whether the fix worked, regardless of the tools involved.

I tend to but top tier tools only when I know that they are going to receive a lot of use over an extended period of time. I prefer to only buy a tool once- even if I have to pay more. I have some Craftsman tools as well, but lately I've been buying Kobalt tools at Lowes.

One tool that I *always* buy from Snap-On is open end wrenches---they will NOT expand under stress and will not slip off the nut and crush your knuckles.
  • chewy2chewy2 Member Posts: 19
    edited January 2011
    It turned red and prevented me from starting the engine. Tried wiggling the steering wheel, open/close doors, have it towed to BMW dealership. This is the 2nd time it happened after the dealership replaced the steering column at 38k miles (now 99k miles). I am going to ask BMW for a good will repair.

Is there a way to disable the "lock" in the steering column? I don't need that feature!

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/B612806g.htm
  • chewy2chewy2 Member Posts: 19
    What happened to this post?
  • smartcookiesmartcookie Member Posts: 1
    Hello all:

I'm thinking about buying a 2006 328i with 92,000 miles on it, price is $13,348 sticker and 15,000 out the door ...well my question is; is this a good deal?

Is this a safe decision (considering just the milage and price)?

I live in L.A.

All help is welcome:-)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,681
    I think all of the '06 models were 325s or 330s...

So, are you looking at a different year or a different model?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Do BMW batteries really need to be programmed?

Had to have my 2007 335i towed today because even after jumpstarting, the car wouldn't keep running.

Was told that if I need a new battery, the cost would be around $350. Was told that while I could get my own battery, I'd need BMW to "program it" - I forget the specific reason given, but was told that unless programmed, the batter would likely get overcharged or undercharged. This is something new to models 2006 and later.

Can anyone out there confirm that this is accurate? If I could get some quick responses, I'd appreciate it becuase I could purchase the battery from Interstate Batteries for about $185.

Thanks.

PS - please keep your fingers crossed that it's a HPFP issues, since that'd be free!!! :)
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    Think it has to do with "registering" the new battery with the car, or just "telling" the car that you have a new battery so that the car's charging system identifies it as a new battery and adjusts the charging profile accordingly.
    I read the same although I haven't had the need to replace my 2006 330xi with 100k miles.
    Well you don't pay sticker... the 2006 model needs steering column replaced when it goes bad and that's $1,200 at the dealer.
  • bobthebbobtheb Member Posts: 2
    I need some help from BMW owners. I am interested in buying a used 2008 335I coupe but:

Edmund's 'True Cost to Own' tool says a 2008 335I Coupe will cost $8300 in maintenance and $7000 in repairs. :sick: On the other hand the same tool says a 2008 Infinity G37 will cost $5400 in maintenance and $2400 in repairs.

Are Edmund's figures anywhere near accurate for the BMW?
    read the blogs regarding the hi-pressure fuel pump (N54 engine) and you will understand.....then stay AWAY!
  • pdude1pdude1 Member Posts: 47
    I have a 335i and just received a message about to come in for a recall as they will replace the HPFP for free. Not sure if anyone has done this yet???
  • dan12dan12 Member Posts: 114
    I have a 2007 335i and just had the HPFP replaced. It took over a week because they couldn't get the software updated. They finally had to replace the CCC (not sure what it's called, but I think it's the central computer board). Got it back tonight and it's perfect.

I guess I am somewhat lucky because the fuel pump lasted 48K miles. I am hoping that it's now fixed. I have seen a lot of people complain about multiple repairs though, so crossing my fingers. It's such a beautiful car, this issue is a real pity. I missed my car even though I had a brand new Z4 loaner (that's nice too, but different story). Hopefully the new (2009/10/11) turbo engines don't have this HPFP problem. I can't believe BMW would continue selling this engine if they hadn't figured out the fuel pump.
    >> Edmund's 'True Cost to Own' tool says a 2008 335I Coupe will cost $8300 in maintenance and $7000 in repairs.

The first 4 years 50,000 miles cost $0 for maintenance and repairs since BMW offers a full maintenance and warranty for that period. You will have to pay for tires which are expensive, but everything else is covered.

You can then choose to extend your maintenance and warranty. For an additional 4 years and 50,000 miles, expect to pay about $2K for maintenance and $3.5K for the warranty. This is a bumper-to-bumper BMW warranty so there are very few exclusions. So if you are worried, you can always pay up front and enjoy your car. Btw, you can call a dealer and get more accurate pricing (you can haggle on this stuff so call multiple dealers).

The 335 does have a fuel pump problem though. I just had mine replaced. Google it and you will find lots of complaints. If you extend your warranty it won't cost you anything to fix it, but it can be a problem. Mine went out in the middle of the night 200+ miles away from home. Luckily it was OK for me to continue driving with "reduced power."
  • skobolaskobola Member Posts: 207
    I think that additional warranty is for additional 2 years and 50k miles, which would then cover the car up to 6 years and/or 100k miles, whichever comes first.
    I think those TCO numbers are way off. My wife drives a 2004 X3 that we've owned since 12/05; it was a CPO with 16,600 miles on the clock. Now at 107,000 miles, it has needed exactly one repair(an SRS sensor under warranty). The brakes were replaced at 60K and the tires have been replaced twice. The total I've spent on maintenance and repairs is $3650- and that number includes $700 worth of maintenance that was performed that BMW doesn't call for (more frequent oil changes as well as ATF, transfer case oil, and coolant changes). Also note that all scheduled maintenance was performed at my local BMW dealer.
    According to TCO a 2006 X3(the oldest X3 that they provide data for) would have needed $9612 in maintenance and $8553 in repairs over five years- or $14,515 more than I actually spent.
    So yes, I'd say the TCO numbers might be a little inaccurate...

Three times! 3 replaced HPFPs. Bye Bye car!
    Well this is your particular good fortune--however, you aren't really calculating TCO correctly. It states:

"The Edmunds Inc. True Cost to Own® (TCO) pricing system calculates the additional costs you may not have included when considering your next vehicle purchase. These extra costs include: depreciation, interest on your loan, taxes and fees, insurance premiums, fuel costs, maintenance, and repairs. "
    When did you have the 3 HPFP's replaced? I just had mine replaced last week for the first time. I hope it doesn't fail again. I don't know what they replaced it with... it shouldn't be the same faulty part. That would be kinda stupid.

Anyone know if the HPFP problem is gone in the later turbo models? Or are these engines to be avoided on all new BMW models?
    Well this is your particular good fortune--however, you aren't really calculating TCO correctly. It states:

"The Edmunds Inc. True Cost to Own� (TCO) pricing system calculates the additional costs you may not have included when considering your next vehicle purchase. These extra costs include: depreciation, interest on your loan, taxes and fees, insurance premiums, fuel costs, maintenance, and repairs. "

Sorry, but I DID calculate my figures correctly. Check the 2006 BMW X3 TCO page. I only used the 5 year maintenance and repair figures- $9,612 and $8,553 respectively. I did not include or use the individual numbers for depreciation, fuel, financing, etc.

Anyone know if the HPFP problem is gone in the later turbo models? Or are these engines to be avoided on all new BMW models?

My friends inside and outside of BMW NA are cautiously optimistic that the latest HPFP and its accompanying software reflash have cured the problem once and for all. The HPFP issue is extremely hit or miss; I looked at one CPO 2007 335i with nearly 40,000 miles and it has never had a HPFP problem. Ditto for one friend who regularly tracked his E92 335i for two years. Then there are cars that have had 3 or more HPFPs before 30,000 miles. I have another friend who is a BMW SA and in his experience he has found that cars that are driven hard have been less likely to require a HPFP service.

My friends inside and outside of BMW NA are cautiously optimistic that the latest HPFP and its accompanying software reflash have cured the problem once and for all.

Thanks for the info. I hope this is the case. My HPFP failed after 48K miles. I don't drive too hard. I'm hoping to keep my car another 3-4 years up to about 100K miles. After that... I will probably stay away from turbo engines.
    edited January 2011
    I'm hoping to keep my car another 3-4 years up to about 100K miles. After that... I will probably stay away from turbo engines.

Well, at least BMW has extended the warranty on the HPFP so you should be good. The rest of the car has proven to be pretty durable. I made a much more foolish purchase decision- my Mazdaspeed 3 needed a new turbo at 26,000 miles. And did I mention that it has cost more to repair and maintain than my X3 and 3 Series combined? That's the last time I will ever consider a car that doesn't come from Munich or Zuffenhausen.