Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Oh, so it was actually working but blocked in the vents? Musta been a lot of gunk in there! Well glad you got that figured out. Keep an eye on it.
  • wzhao68wzhao68 Member Posts: 15
    Hi there,

I have a 2006 BMW 330i, the oil light has come on and off lately, even just 5 months after an oil change. It indicated "+1qrts", so I added a quart, then it indicated the oil level all the way to 2/3 or 3/4 full. Has anybody seen something like this? Do I have a faulty oil indicator or it's normal?
    Thanks,

David
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    Some BMW inline fours and sixes consume oil, others don't. No big deal, really. How many miles did you drive before the light came on?

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• uncletouncleto Member Posts: 45
    Yes! was an easy fix and try to keep an eye on it. But another trouble came up! wife told me a check engine light came on today. had my generic OBD scan tool and read P0128 code. im gonna search the net for this code. if anybody had experience this same code will you pls. let me know and what kind of work has to be done. Many thanks again guys.
    P0128= Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature

Your thermostat has failed in the open position; it's a simple repair.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• uncletouncleto Member Posts: 45
    Thanks! just got back from my mechanic and confirm my findings. his gonna do the thermostat. wish i can do it myself but its kinda tight with the fan on the way. there goes my state refund! thanks again guys for your inputs.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 234,725
    Evidently, took a rock to my fog light lens.. Hole with radiating cracks, though the light still works...

So... you can't replace the lens! :mad: I have to buy the whole foglight assembly.... $130 list... About $106 shipped to the house from BMW parts discounter...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• nepropneprop Member Posts: 41
    Roadburner, thanks for your advice. I tried what you said but it did not solve my situation. Had my car in for routine maintenance at my local mechanic and they addressed the problem. Don't know what they did as I was traveling, but when I find out I'll post for the community to read.
    Took my 2006 330Ci coupe, performance package, 6-speed into the dealer for an acceleration issue.... It's CPO...

When I hit around 4000 RPM, I get a hesitation or stumble... that doesn't clear up until I'm around 4500... Turns out there is a TSB.. Unfortunately, if no parts need to be replaced, it isn't a warranty item.. The DME needs to be re-flashed, but they can't do it at the dealership... for this TSB, they have to remove the DME, ship it to BMW in NJ, have it updated, then sent back and re-installed.. $530 total.. :cry:

Not that this isn't bad enough.... they do their normal maintenance checks, and my right rear tire is 5 lbs psi lower than the rest... so, upon inspection, they find a nail in the tread.. Unfortunately, just about an inch in from the edge.. They can't patch it.. Quote for a new tire, mounted and balanced is $450! Even from TireRack it's $312..

Stopped by the local tire chain store, to see if they would attempt a patch.... no dice.

Next stop is at my local independent tire shop.... worth giving it a try...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Frankly, something sounds a bit suspicious. If the car is under CPO warranty and the software needs to be refreshed, I would expect that to be covered under the CPO warranty. After all, how could the owner cause that to be necessary, unless aftermarket modifications were implemented?

I also don't quite understand why the local dealer can't reflash the DME.

Just sounds a bit strange to me...
    Trust me.. there are a ton of things that aren't covered under CPO.... basically, if it doesn't need a new part, it isn't covered.. That's under "engine adjustments"..

The sending off to NJ... I know...really weird.. but, I've seen a copy of the TSB posted.... and, sure enough, they can't do it at the dealer.

On the plus side.... it's fixed... awesome, smooth acceleration, all the way to the red-line..

And....good news on the tire... I was at a big car show, today.. A friend of mine was exhibiting his 1911 fire truck... Telling him my big sob story about the repair....and, about the tire... Told me one of his guys helping him with the exhibit plugs tires, all of the time (they have a small fleet of pickup trucks at work).. So, asked him about it.. he said sure...follow us back to the shop after the show.. He had some sort of vulcanizing kit, that puts a plug in from the outside... looks sort of like a caulking gun.. Worked like a charm. Saved me $350, minimum. :)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• celkancelkan Member Posts: 27
    I have a 2006 325i that is usually parked outside. The paint is all fine, but the black anodized channels on either side of the roof are corroded. The black coating is flaking off, exposing shiny metal.

Has anyone else had this experience? Is there a way to fix it?

What are the indented channels on the sides of the roof for, and what is the proper name for them? I notice some cars have them and some don't. Sometimes they are painted and sometimes they have a black coating, like mine.
  • nomowhalenomowhale Member Posts: 17
    I just purchased a black 2006 325i and I noticed the same thing.
    I think you mean "drip rails".

I see this a lot on BMWs that are not garaged--deteriorated trim and especially cracking weatherseals on the front and back windshields.

Sometimes these can be restored with something called "Trim Paint" but it is rather tedious to clean, strip and tape-off the drip rails and repaint them.
    So, I'm driving along the freeway, and every light on my dash comes on, and the seatbelt chime starts dinging... and, I'm looking for a place to pull over..

Until, I realize.... the car is still running. All the lights go off, except for the seatbelt unbuckled warning... I unlatch and relatch the belt and that light goes off...

But, all my OBC data has been zeroed out, including the trip odometer (not the actual odometer, sadly). Clock is showing --:-- , so had to reset that... Didn't lose my radio stations or the -miles left until next service-.

Went on to work, drove to lunch, drove home.... and, no further issues.

Thought I was going to have to resuscitate my wallet, though...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Now you know why you don't see any German electronics at Best Buy! :P
  • blue318tiblue318ti Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 318ti that has started to overheat. I had turned the a/c on and the fan kicked in and lower the needle. Without the a/c on the fan isnt engaging. What could be causing this? Could it be a sensor or maybe the thermostat? What do you think?
    Yes I would guess a bad sensor, since the AC overrides the normal sensor.
  • blue318tiblue318ti Member Posts: 2
    Are the sensors and easy fix? Is it expensive? What would be the exact part needed or name for the sensor?
    Well first you'd need a wiring diagram to figure out how the sensor/relay system is hooked up on that car, and then you'd need to know the locations of the sensor or sensors (usually more than one) and also the locations of the relay or relays just in case the AC uses a different relay. Once you've got that mapped out, you could use a simple ohm meter to figure out if a sensor is doing what it is supposed to do. These systems aren't as simple as they appear--usually there's a sensor for ON and one for OFF.

The basic sensor is called a Radiator Cooling Fan Temperature Sensor / Switch. It could be a "double switch" or it could be two sensors/switches. Apparently BMW used both on these cars. I have one really bad diagram that seems to show it on the RH side of the engine near the headlight assembly, but the sketch of it really sucks.
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    The gas gauge and computer readout on my '09 328xi indicated no fuel with zero miles to empty on a couple of mornings when first starting out. The tank was actually about half full and both indicators gradually climbed to show as much (took about a half-hour to get there). Dealer says there's a faulty fuel sender but says the gas tank needs to be replaced to correct the problem. Does that sound right to you guys? Car is still under warranty but I don't get why the tank needs replacing.
    yeah some BMWs have non-replaceable fuel pumps and level gauges (they are all in the same unit). You do have to replace the entire gas tank.
    I agree with Mr. Shiftright. Sounds very probable.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    My 2002 325xi wagon with 63,000 miles has developed some issues a couple times recently with its auto transmission. Twice the car slowed down with the transmission indicator showing on the dashboard. After I did what the manual suggests to shut down the engine, put the key in the o position for a few seconds and restarted the car, the car ran flawlessly and smoothly. This occurred twice in the past three weeks. The car had the Inspection II service at 60,000 miles. Any expert out there has some ideas as to what could be the trouble? Is the transmission on the verge of being shot? Other than the two incidents described, the car drives very nice without any transmission shifting problems detected. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,359
    Changed the transmission fluid using BMW transmission Fluid?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

Thanks for the suggestion. At the time of the Inspection II service 3000 miles ago, the dealer did all the fluid changes, but the transmission, saying the Master Technician at the dealership strongly opposed to have the transmission fluid/filter replaced, although they did replace the differential fluid as requested. I'll bring the car back and insist on its replacement. That might be helpful and resolve the transmission issue.
    I don't know an eighth of what most others know & don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are already having signs of difficulty it might already be too late.

Good luck & let us know what happens.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

edited August 2011
    At the time of the Inspection II service 3000 miles ago, the dealer did all the fluid changes, but the transmission, saying the Master Technician at the dealership strongly opposed to have the transmission fluid/filter replaced

In other words, the "Master Technician" is essentially admitting that his service department lacks the competence to perform an ATF change. That's not exactly reassuring; my dealer has never hesitated to perform an ATF change when I have requested it.

• luckybellyluckybelly Member Posts: 15
    I need to vent a bit on this Roadburner.:
    Did you think for a moment why a Master Technician would advise against recommending a service that would mean more work which would equal to more money?
    I mean after all if he has earned the Master Technician status, he probably knows a little bit more than you do, since he has earned the status of "Master Technician" and not too many technicians get that.
    Does he not get a benefit of being placed higher up than an avg. joe technician and avg. driver?
    Ok its off my chest.
    Now let me explain, why:
    1) Most all BMW since mid to late '90s come with lifetime transmission fluid. 2) If you were to look under most BMW automatic transmissions oil pan there is a label that clearly states to NOT to service the transmission.

ATF is available for servicing however, it is recommended that be used only
    to replenish the lost fluid due to leaks and for repairs.

Also if you were to look in the owners manual for service, it does NOT require AT service.

While I may not fully agree with this practice by BMW, the fluid does contain several modifiers added in the standard Dexron III fluid to maintain the viscosity and other characteristics of the fluid through the life of the transmission.

This is also true with many of the newer GM, MBZ, Toyota, Honda, etc. vehicles.
    AT Fluid technology has gotten to a point where it can keep the transmission running for over 100k miles without service.

The only issue is BMW and others do NOT disclose what they consider "lifetime" of the transmission in miles or years of service. So that is anyone guess.

I hope I answered your question, and please keep in mind next time you or anyone who reads this on forum, if you are going to take your vehicle to a repair facility, if you do not trust your repair facility, then don't go there. BUT if you do then give them some respect as you would want to be respected in your chosen profession. :)
    BMW has recently changed it's position & recinded "lifetime fluid" & now does require a service I believe at 60K.

BMWs started to develop transmission problems (read: failures) between 80K & 120K when they switched to lifetime fill.

Someone once said "The problem with regarding yourself as an expert is that this immediately closes your mind to new ideas".

There is some truth to that---one can in fact have all kinds of credentials and still have bad judgment. NOT SAYING in this case---just throwing out the idea that I myself have retreated from once-sacred ideas about what to do and not do to a car.
  • marcelluswmarcellusw Member Posts: 1
    I just recently found that I had a bad battery in my 02 325ci. I went to Autozone and purchased another battery, but the battery light is still on. How can I turn it off or is there possibly another problem?
  • Firebird_EOUFirebird_EOU Member Posts: 250
    Now my transmission is 111k, so it was short of a maint?
    Please provide link to where ATF now needs to be serviced at 60k from BMW.
    Shiftright, I can't agree with you more in having a broader mind even being considered an expert in one's specialty. In this case of the transmission fluid change, though, there are so many opposing opinions that one can only result to what the manufacturer's recommendations. I actually was making an appointment with an independent BMW technician and was going to have him change the transmission fluid and the filter. Upon hearing my seeming transmission issue (the problem light came on, then went away after following the manual), he was also against the idea saying that oftentimes, transmission problem has emerged after the fluid change and transmission destroyed. He basically suggested that if the car runs well now without problem, I should leave it alone. This is the second person (the other time was the dealership) who could have made money by doing what I requested, but suggested otherwise. In this case I simply have to use my own judgement to go along with what BMW suggests for the transmission maintenance. This technician also said the problem light could have been a glitch, as sometime sensors do.
    edited August 2011
    Did you think for a moment why a Master Technician would advise against recommending a service that would mean more work which would equal to more money?

I sure did. The self-described "Master Technician" doesn't trust his shop to do the job properly. Or else he missed the BMW training session that addressed the new ATF change interval.
    And why does my BMW dealer perform an ATF service -without hesitation- at my request? And for a very reasonable price?

I mean after all if he has earned the Master Technician status, he probably knows a little bit more than you do, since he has earned the status of "Master Technician" and not too many technicians get that.

The term does not impress me one bit. Results count for more than a title on a name tag. As for relative knowledge, I've only owned, wrenched on, tracked, and competed in BMWs since 1983- owning nine in the process. So he might know more than me, but based on what I've already been told about him I kind of doubt it.

Does he not get a benefit of being placed higher up than an avg. joe technician and avg. driver?

No.

Now let me explain, why:

Have at it; my comments follow.

1) Most all BMW since mid to late '90s come with lifetime transmission fluid.

Initially BMW did consider ATF to be a lifetime fill, but no longer. See below.

ATF is available for servicing however, it is recommended that be used only to replenish the lost fluid due to leaks and for repairs.

Wrong. See below.

Also if you were to look in the owners manual for service, it does NOT require AT service.

Well, you are half right. The information isn't in the owners manual; it is found in the Service and Warranty Information Booklet. On page 8, in the case of my 2004 E83(fitted with a GM A5S 390R). It states "Replace ATF every 100,000 miles"

While I may not fully agree with this practice by BMW, the fluid does contain several modifiers added in the standard Dexron III fluid to maintain the viscosity and other characteristics of the fluid through the life of the transmission.

BMW uses several different AT fluids:
    Esso ATF LT 71131
    Texaco ETL 7045E
    Texaco ETL 8072B
    And a few more, no one knows why there are so many "flavors" save BMW, GM, and ZF...

The only issue is BMW and others do NOT disclose what they consider "lifetime" of the transmission in miles or years of service. So that is anyone guess.

That's simple; when the transmission fails BMW then considers its "lifetime" to be over...

I hope I answered your question, and please keep in mind next time you or anyone who reads this on forum, if you are going to take your vehicle to a repair facility, if you do not trust your repair facility, then don't go there.

Which is essentially what I said in my earlier post.

BUT if you do then give them some respect as you would want to be respected in your chosen profession.

I most certainly DO respect my Service Adviser as well as all of the technicians at my BMW dealer. They perform first class work at a very fair price.
    To summarize, the "Master Technician" that generated this discussion either does not know that BMW now calls for a 100,000 mile fluid change or else he lacks the knowledge and ability to perform an ATF service. In either case I would be wary of any other "expert" advice he may provide.

Finally, a couple of anecdotal data points:
    My old E39 528i had the ATF changed at 100,000 miles and the last I heard the current owner had put another 100,000 miles on it with no ATF issues. My E83 received an ATF change at 56,000 and 113,000 miles. Now at over 120,000 miles, the automatic transmission continues to perform flawlessly.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    edited August 2011
    for this, and it didn't disappoint.

It's fun (in an odd way) to watch newbies poke at the lion (or bait the bear), but even more interesting to observe the result.

luckybelly -- if you think you or your "Master Technician" knows more about BMWs than some of the people on this board you have another think coming (as my mother used to say).
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    So are you and Mr. Shiftright saying BMW is now recommending to perform ATF service on E46 era 3 series built transmissions.?

Since the original question was about a transmissions installed on a E46 and NOT a E83.

Perhaps a BMW TSB # and/or link from BMW to support this statement would be most enlightening and add to this discussion.

:D
    Most are over-opinionated on most forums including most master-technicians - but that was not my point.
    My point was avg. driver/technician should NOT discredit a statement and/or information dispensed by a technician who has gone through the years of training and earned the Master-Technician status.
    Perhaps roadburner has significant knowledge and experience however, he has no first hand experience with the master-technician that was in question to discredit him.
    I chose higher road than he did. I gave the information accurate and about the fact that on E46 transmissions it was not recommended to change AT fluid. (Also I did not say that I support that practice ). And not discredit someone I have no first knowledge about.

So no I don't have another thing coming to me. :D
    So are you and Mr. Shiftright saying BMW is now recommending to perform ATF service on E46 era 3 series built transmissions.?

Yes.

Since the original question was about a transmissions installed on a E46 and NOT a E83.

I take it that you aren't aware of the fact that both vehicles(2003 325xi Touring and 2004 E83) use a GM A5S 390R automatic transmission.

Perhaps a BMW TSB # and/or link from BMW to support this statement would be most enlightening and add to this discussion.

Perhaps rhmass can check his Service and Warranty Information booklet and tell us what BMW recommended for the car that you said didn't require ATF changes.

Perhaps roadburner has significant knowledge and experience however, he has no first hand experience with the master-technician that was in question to discredit him.

What more do I need to know? You esteemed "Master Tech" recommended against performing a service that BMW specifically recommends.

I chose higher road than he did.

I stand in awe of your magnanimous gesture.

I gave the information accurate and about the fact that on E46 transmissions it was not recommended to change AT fluid.

No you didn't. You stated:
    1) Most all BMW since mid to late '90s come with lifetime transmission fluid.
    and
    But now you say you that you were only referring to the E46. Right.

And not discredit someone I have no first knowledge about.

One more time- "Master Tech" recommended against changing the ATF fluid, period- even though BMW calls for a change at 100,000 miles. He didn't say "Wait until the 100,000 mile service. He said don't do it. He was wrong.

edited August 2011
    Herewith a page from an E46 Service and Warranty Information booklet:

BMW changed from "Lifetime Fill" to a 100,000 ATF change interval in 2002.

roadburner - Your highness - I stand corrected if it is from a 02 E46, - I think you should discredit someone who you don't know. I personally don't know that Master Tech in question but please go ahead and continue to dispense your opinions, after all its an open forum.

BTW: Interesting how you highlighted all but failed to read MOST. In my statement. Hmmm. OK.
    It seems you only read and listen what you want. But thats ok. I am bored of this conversation.
    I am bored of this conversation.

Look on the bright side, at least we both now agree that the Master Technician in question gave incorrect advice!

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    edited August 2011
    of the people who post on the internet are questionable in terms of their background and/or knowledge, some actually know what they're talking about.

New posters are liable to be considered somewhat guilty until proven otherwise, unlike people who have been posting here for a decade or more.

Try not to make incendiary statements. This is a lesson it took me a number of years to learn, and I still have a number of "slips." There are many people on Edmunds who still won't respond to my posts, based on stuff I posted 8-10 years ago.

One sleeps in the bed one makes.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Try not to make incendiary statements. This is a lesson it took me a number of years to learn, and I still have a number of "slips." There are many people on Edmunds who still won't respond to my posts, based on stuff I posted 8-10 years ago.

Really? You've always struck me as being pretty easy going. You do have a low tolerance for BS and incompetence, but then so do I...

edited August 2011
    The best thing you can do for Master Tech is to show him the BMW notation---in this way, he dispenses better advice or at least evaluates the notation for validity. No one can be right 100% of the time, not even Einstein.

The technician you want to avoid is not the one who makes the occasional mistake, but the one who insists that you can't teach him anything new.

Come back and tell us what he says about all this.

The whole point of these forums is to help make your car run safely and reliably.
    No one can be right 100% of the time, not even Einstein.

Agreed, but what concerns me is that this guy is still relying on a service regimen that BMW abandoned almost 10 years ago.

Well he apparently didn't get the memo. It's so hard to keep up on everything these days, what with all the new tech, so things are bound to fall through the cracks---even obvious things. I mean, look how long it has taken the general public to accept longer oil changes. And some of the people who are most adamant about changing oil at 3,000 miles are very smart, very educated.

So it's a question of taking the time, (or HAVING the time) to read up on the latest evidence and saying "oh, I see...the basis for my info has changed".
    Personally, I understand where Roadburner is coming from.

There is no shortage of postings on forums where posters are asking for answers which can easily be found in the owner's manual. The obvious reason is that they are too lazy to look it up for themselves.

Even when an appropriate answer is given, quite often someone wants to argue about it's correctness... Again, often based upon one's "understanding" of the facts, which really is no understanding at all.

Beats me why one would spend so much on an item, yet refuse to learn anything about that same item's functioning, until it's forced upon them.

It's one of the main reasons I have all but stopped responding to questions posed on forums.
    edited August 2011
    Well he apparently didn't get the memo. It's so hard to keep up on everything these days, what with all the new tech, so things are bound to fall through the cracks---even obvious things.

It isn't limited to BMW, by a long shot. Back in 2007 there was a topic on VW Vortex concerning the fact that more than a few VW dealers weren't even aware that the DSG required servicing at all. Here's my contribution to the thread:

I called the three dealers in the Louisville, KY area(a 50 mile radius). In each case I asked for the service department. Once I was connected I asked how much it cost to service the DSG in a new Golf GTI. Here are the results of my informal survey:

Bachman Volkswagen, called on 2/28/07- "The newer transmissions are sealed and don't need service. Everything is done through the computer." Huh?

Neil Huffman Volkswagen, called on 3/1/07- The first person in service who picked up asked me what a DSG was. I was transferred to a second person who stated that there was "no recommended service" for the DSG.

Clapp Volkswagen, called on 3/1/07- "The service costs $339 and is performed every 40,000 miles." Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!

So...
    Kudos to Clapp VW, which has the only service department in Kentuckiana that appears to know the service requirements of newer VWs.

OTOH, if ignorance truly IS bliss, then Bachman VW and Neil Huffman VW must have the happiest service departments in the area...

I wonder how many DSGs have failed because some lazy techs in VW service departments didn't do their homework? In any event, that was one of the primary reasons that -four months later- I spent my "hot hatch" budget on a new Mazdaspeed 3 rather than a GTI...