Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• brucer2brucer2 Member Posts: 157
    This is how the Nissans are designed. (We've have/had Maximas: 87, 88, 90 & 91 Stanza) The revs are held higher, by not shifting into O/D, to warm the engine up faster. This does, however, really hurt gas milage on shorter trips when it's cold outside.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The rust may be transportation damage from a railcar. You could have a body shop look at it, they would know. If the body shop says it is transportation related, you should have the dealer repaint it or keep buffing it to get it right. Maybe they just aren't trying hard enough.
  • stermenstermen Member Posts: 10
    I had the same problem with my old 93 Hyundai Elantra. Not that the cars are comparable but I feel the problem is. It was found to be burning oil. The oil would then drip on the pugs causing me to lose spark. When it first started, it only happened when it was cold. And it was hard to start. Then as the condition progressed, it turned into a constant stalling problem. I couldn't let my foot off the gas to break without it stalling. So I would check the plugs. You might just need a tune up. It could also be the O2 sensor like the person above mentioned.
  • msambasimsambasi Member Posts: 1
    I found today that there was a pool of water (the spare tire was almost immersed) in the trunk. I had driven the car in rain a couple of weeks back and did not even have an idea that water could get in the trunk. I am sure that it has not gotten in through the trunk lid but from under the body. There are two gaskets (small and big) through which it could have gotten in. Has anyone else had this problem with their Maxima 2000?. Thanks.
    The last time I had a trunk water leak problem it was due to a cracked tail light lens. You would, of course, see that, but water can also come in from around the tail light assembly.
    Two ways of checking where the water is coming from would be to dry things out and then use a hose to wet the outside down, and then look in the trunk. The other would be to get in the trunk, close it, and look for light leaking in (do this with an assistant you trust).
  • lucy1213lucy1213 Member Posts: 18
    On Feb. 3, MVProfit wrote: When I let off the gas on my 2001 GLE, rather than a smooth response, it feels abrupt. When I accelerate again, it is a noticeable surge, almost a clunk-like feel. Same when using the cruise control. It surges noticeably back and forth even on level terrain. Dealer says this is normal. I'm not convinced. any similar experiences?

Dear MV: I am noticing the same thing with my 2001 GXE and mentioned it to the service manager at the dealership. He, too, said it is normal. It sure doesn't feel normal and like you, I am not convinced.

Also, I have noticed a lot of people here talking about Maximas that won't start. I have experienced this as well and I just bought my car Feb. 9! Told the service manager about this and he didn't have an answer for me.

All these things with my so-called new car are making me long for my trusty old Toyota Corolla... not a good feeling after laying down a huge chunk of change for the Maxima.
  • qx4qx4 Member Posts: 99
    i had this problem on a 95GXE

it turned out the water pathway on the side of the trunk. it goes around the taillight assembly. there is a sealant around the housing of the assembly.

I applied a sealant around the taillight assembly and that fixed my water in trunk problem. to be specific, my water in spare tire well in the truck problem.
    subject of prev. message should say

water in trunk and not truck

sorry
  • borisgudonovborisgudonov Member Posts: 36
    I made a post a few days ago about the "Service Engine Soon" light on my 97 Nissan Maxima (which I bought Jan. 3 this year) coming on. A Nissan shop said to check that the gas cap was tight, and it was. I unplugged the battery and left it that way for more than 34 minutes and plugged it back up and the light still came on. I can't tell that anything is wrong with the car at all. The manual says it means there is an emission control system malfunction. In the handy-dandy maintenance log provided with the manual and warranty booklets, under "Emission Control System Maintenance" are listed "Replace Engine Oil" and "Replace Engine Oil Filter." There is more to the "Emission Control Sytem" than there, isn't there? Or could it be that I simply need an oil change or oil filter change...or both? I planned on getting it changed every 3000 miles and I've got a few hundred to go. I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow, but I would appreciate any insights as to prevent myself from being "taken."
  • lennielennie Member Posts: 1
    has anyone took their 2000 maximas in for a fix on the shifting problems i know that their is a tsb from nissan i asked a service manager he pretended their was no problem.
  • jtschragjtschrag Member Posts: 1
    My 95 did the same thing except it did not have to sit 24 hours it was just random. Put on a new starter solenoid and that fixed my problem. it could also be safety switch or they have a drain on the battery.
    Lennie--Forgive me, but what is a tsb?
    Also, can you please explain more about the shifting problem you are having?
    Are you noticing abrupt shifting/surging?
  • fcbcdwfcbcdw Member Posts: 7
    Couple weeks ago, my 2k Maxima couldn't start. I try at least 3 times and then it would started. It happened once in a while. So, I brought it to the dealer to check. Later, it found the problem. It is my Mobile speed pass. The speed pass somehow had caused problem to the computer chips that are inside the keys. Both of my keys needed to get re-programmed, And now, it works perfectly.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    It could be a faulty temp or O2 sensor. I had to change the temp sensor once and the O2 three (3) times.
  • skigerskiger Member Posts: 1
    I don't know what a "tsb" is, but suspect you mean a manufacturer's "hidden" warranty (whatever the proper term is). If there is one, I'd like to know. I have a 2000 Maxima that shifts very abruptly and hard when I decelerate then try to accelerate quickly (as in slowong down at an intersection, then stepping on it to go through). Does this almost every time. Anyone have the same problem &/or advice? I'm planning to ask about this the next time the car goes in for regular servicing.
    I have a 2001 GXE and am experiencing something similar to what you described. I notice the hard shifting both when I accelerate and decelerate.
    The dealer checked it out and said it was normal. Doesn't seem normal to me. I don't really have any advice. Please post anything you find out if you can.
  • asianagent1asianagent1 Member Posts: 3
    My Maxima's alternator failed at about 50,000 miles. That's the only problem I've experienced with the car since I bought it new. I have always had it serviced on a regular basis (3 months or 3,000 miles) and used premium octane gasoline. Does anyone know what could've caused this?
  • maxdavemaxdave Member Posts: 6
    In the absence of some of the more regular guys who post on these maxima boards. I'm going to try to answer some of the many questions that have been flying around here.

1) "TSB" stands for technical service bulletin. These are put out by the manufacturer when they admit to a problem such as recalls or other small problems that they are willing to fix. There are a few tsb's out for the 2k maxima. You can get information on tsb's for maxima's at www.NHTSA.com.

2) In the absence of knowing if you all have auto trannies or 5 speed manuals here goes some general answers

Auto tranny shifting...there is a tsb out for the 2k maxima's that experience what I'm going to call a lag when shifting from first to second gear. I don't have an auto tranny so I don't the exact details but this is a known problem with the transimission control module and if you experience this then you should have your dealer replace the TCM.

5 speeds...There is another know problem that Nissan has not admitted to but definitely exhists. The problem is what's being called a "fuel cut" problem. I experience this phenomenon mostly during in town driving in traffic where I let off the gas and the car "bucks" and then when I accelerate the car does the same thing. this is being caused by the throttle being slammed closed when you let off the accelerator to slow down and then slamming open when you acclerate. This is a problem with the computer. There is another board that talks specifically about this problem. it's called "Maxima 5 speed problem" to get more information on this problem there is a post at the beginning of that board that gets into a lot of detail.

Well, I hope this helps some of you. You're dealer isn't wrong when he says that the problem is normal. He's right, but the fact that the maxima's do that is wrong.

enjoy,

Dave
    Bless your heart, maxdave!
    Thanks so much for your response.
    Now everything makes much more sense.

The NHTSA web site is a big help. I agree with you that ok, the problems might be normal, but it still doesn't make it right! It's very upsetting. It seems like all the info on the Max was very positive, so I thought it was the right car to buy, but now I am feeling very disappointed. The car is an automatic, by the way.

Do those of us experiencing the problem have any recourse?
  • w988w988 Member Posts: 6
    My 91 GXE with about 75000 miles stalled (engine shut off itself) at 60mph on the highway. I pulled to the side of the road then was able to re started it after a couple of tries. I drove the car for another mile then the engine stalled again then it won't start and had to be towed to a Nissans Dealer. The Dealer service department was busy thus unable to check my car until two days later. The car re started fine and the dealer checked the electrical components and the battery and couldn't find anything wrong. The car won't start two weeks later in the morning. Then it started and ran fine the next morning without anything being done to it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    If the ignition system is in good condition, then it's probably a fuel problem. You have to make sure that the fuel pump is getting power (check connections for fuse, relay for corrosion). Also make sure you have proper fuel pressure in the fuel rail. You can also have a clogged fuel filter. It's also possible for the fuel pick-up for the fuel pump (in the gas tank) is clogged.
  • maxdavemaxdave Member Posts: 6
    Well, recourse on the auto-tranny shift "lag" is simply have your dealer replace the TCM.

Recourse on the clunky, jerky ride at lower speeds is something that isn't going to happen until Nissan admits that there is a problem and issues a tsb. This is not looking like it is going to happen anytime soon if at all, so basically we simply have to deal with it. The "fuel cut" problem is a real pain for those of us that have the 5 speed manual, but in the automatic tranny the electronics are supposed to compensate and smooth out the ride. Since you have an auto tranny you shouldn't feel the jerkiness much at all unless you are really sensitive to it.

If it very noticable there might be something else wrong with the car and you might want to mention it the next time you take it into the dealer.

hope this helps,

Dave
    Hello again.

Forgive me, but I don't know what a TCM is.

Thanks for the help!
  • umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    TCM: Transmission Control Module. I presume it's a computer chip or similar device which controls the shifting of the transmission. Some Maximas (generally year 2000 models) have a problem with it, and Nissan has issued a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) for it's repair/replacement for the affected vehicles.

I know there is a particular serial number range (i.e., manufacture date range) affected. At least for me, my 3 week old Maxima isn't having the problem, and hope yours doesn't either.
    -umpopa
    Has anyone with a 2000 or 2001 Max had the TCM replaced?
    Did it help?

Thanks!
  • maxgxe93maxgxe93 Member Posts: 1
    Well, I guess I'll just jump in with my '93 GXE stereo saga. I have the Bose CD/tape unit and it
    does sound great when it works. Often it just cuts out for no apparent reason only to resume minutes later, and I'm not talking about the CD player.

Yes I have done the fist on the dashboard technique with some success, but not lately. It is deader than a door nail. Any similar stories or remedies out there? I guess I could always go to Best Buy and buy a new after market head unit but I'd prefer to stay stock for dash synergy. I'm all ears!
  • donaldmdonaldm Member Posts: 1
    96 Max GLE- spurious alarms- horn beeping, lights flashing. Have also had a few instances of trunk popped open (Overnight) and an instance of my front windows lowered half way.
    These are all functions of the remote control but are occurring while the car is unattended at at various locations around town.
    Anybody have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    Donnie
  • deisnerdeisner Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 1998 Nissan Maxima SE.
    Is it worth it to get the Nissan extended warranty
    at $1690 for a 7year/100,0000 mild/ 0 deductible
    policy.
  • sherry163bsherry163b Member Posts: 3
    Got a 92 maxima GXE, 115,000 miles. never has given me a problem until the last 6 months. Once in a while, turn the key, all lights, windows, radio on, but no engine turnover. No clicking noise either. Nothing!. towed to dealer 3 times....starts right up for them first try. diagnostics indicate nothing wrong. Replaced starter (first visit), and relay interrupt switch (second visit). third visit...at wits end! Now I can't trust the car! help! alternator checks out fine. battery new. any suggestions? thanks much!
  • blackjacklvblackjacklv Member Posts: 3
    Sherry163b...I own a 92 Maxima and i have the same problems. Everything you describe is true. What you have to do when this happens is

1) move the key to the on position.
    2) Release the shift lock and move the car into Neutral.
    3) move the car about 2 ft.
    4)stop and turn off car
    5)then try it again..

This method has not failed me yet. Good Luck

Black Jack
  • sherry163bsherry163b Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Black jack! I AM NOT CRAZY! WOOHOO!
    you wouldn't happen to know the reason why the car does this? just curious.
    Yup.... I can see myself chasing my car down a hill after I attempt to push it 2 feet
    thanks abunch...sherry
  • velveteendadvelveteendad Member Posts: 3
    I have a '96 Maxima that has 60k miles on it. I know that the old rule of thumb was to replace a car's timing belt at 60k miles, but I'm told that newer cars (possibly including my '96) don't need that. It seems that the rule for new Nissans is to start checking the timing belt for wear at 60k, and only replace it if necessary until hitting 100k (and then replacing it at 100k). Nissan's owner's manual is woefully lacking in detail about the timing belt - all it says is to start checking the "drive belts" for wear at 60k, but there's nothing specific about the timing belt. I'd appreciate hearing anyone's advice about this, especially if there are any Nissan mechanics who post here. Thank you.
    it was worth it for me 95GXE
    but not for many others

since its a used car, i would probably get it.

but it all depends.
  • max_2ksemax_2kse Member Posts: 5
    Relax, your Max has a timing chain that doesn't need any replacement.
  • richez2000richez2000 Member Posts: 2
    lucy1213...I had my TCM replaced. I would say overall that it helped. At cold temperatures, I have experienced the lag. I don't know if that should make a difference, but once the car is hot, no more lag.
    richez2000:

What year is your Maxima?
    Is the replacement process a quick and simple thing? Thanks for the help!
  • black2000maxblack2000max Member Posts: 4
    OK. So it finally gets warm enough in MA to roll down the windows. What I am hearing is a rattle-like noise similar to a big diesel truck that's idleing. It happens when you accelerate (somewhat quickly)from low speeds in both first and second gear and you can only hear it very briefly. Of course, it's not consistent and the car had been driven for over 50 minutes before. I checked the transmission fluid and it was fine. Any ideas? Anyone have a similar problem?
  • lakleinlaklein Member Posts: 8
    Just bought the 2001 se 5 speed. Anyone else getting rattles from the console while extended,and if so any fix? Thank you
  • diasadiasa Member Posts: 2
    In response to Post 66, I have the same problem with that noise in a 1998 SE. It's very difficult to duplicate and of course the dealer can't. At first I thought it was something with the tires but I had them inspected, rotated and they check out fine. I think it has something to do with the temp and wind. It's as though the wind is getting into something and making that noise at a certain speed. It doesn't always happen at the same speed but usually when I'm going over 60. Anyone else have this problem and if you did where's the noise coming from!!
  • fpwiiifpwiii Member Posts: 2
    Had the same problems you describe on my 1993 nissan maxima. Had it towed 3 times and everytime I took it to the dealer it worked fine. Finally took to a good transmission shop and they checked the transmission and found metal shavings in the transmission fluid and some other indications that made it necessary to have the tranmission rebuilt. I had 105,000 miles on the car. it was repaired about $1300 but it runs beautifully now and have not experienced any problems since. Was really upset with the dealer that they never checked out the transmission issue.
  • bitsbucketbitsbucket Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    I have a 96 Maxima SE, actually my wife drives it :-( She took off yesterday
    on about a 350 mile trip and about 40 miles down the road (interstate
    driving...her speed prob. about 80) of steady cruise (not cruise control just foot on the gas) she said "something
    felt funny " and looked down to see the O/D light lit. Of course this means
    the O/D is off and it had gone to 3rd gear. I told her turn around an forget
    the trip. When she got the car to me I drove it around the block, (big block
    up to 80mph for 20 sec. or so) no problem!?!? I sat in the parking lot, opened
    the hood and began to look around...fluid OK and pink, then I hear a light
    clunk, I get back into the car and start it and sure enough the O/D lamp is
    lit with the switch in the position that the lamp should have been off! I
    suspect a relay, but the [non-permissible content removed] Haynes manual covers so many models I don't
    have a clear, complete diagram of the O/D circuit.
    Any Help is greatly appreciated......
    I sure could use some!
    TIA
    John
  • spectrumjj2spectrumjj2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '97 GLE with 79K miles. Recently the shifting between 1st and 2nd has become unpredictable and most often seems to rev too high before shifting to 2nd. Also after it shifts it will jump back to 1st with very little pressure on the accelerator. Is the TCM going bad ? How do I know if I need a new O2 sensor. Thanks...
    I took my '96 Maxima in for its 60k checkup, including a change of spark plugs and other things. Now I'm wondering if there's any easy way for me to tell whether the shop put in platinum spark plugs. The car's running great, but I'm just wondering.
  • rchadarchada Member Posts: 1
    My car has 53000 miles on it and runs well. Yesterday the "Service Engine Soon" light came up.
    I took to the dealer. he diagnosed it as a broken Emission Control Valve (ECV). Though Maximas have 60,000 miles Engine/Drivetrain warranty, the ECV is not part of it because it is
    in the back of the car as per the dealer. Anyone having similar experience ?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Take one out and look at it.
    Thank you for the suggestion - any way to tell without removing the spark plug? I don't have tools to do that, and certainly don't want to screw anything up trying to do it without the proper tools.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The only other way to verify which plugs are in it is to remove a spark plug wire/boot and see if you can read the number on the porcelain of the plug. If you try that, be careful to rotate the boot and pull on it, NOT the plug wire.
  • fgonzalezfgonzalez Member Posts: 1
    Well Black2000Max, you're not the only one. I've been experiencing the same problem for the last four months. I own a Silver 2000Max. I originally thought it was pinging as a result of bad gasoline. I tried premium gasolines from all different brands, even octane boost. But I got the same rattling noise. It seems to come and go and like you said happens when you accelerate from lower speeds. I finally took it to the dealership but they couldn't find anything wrong. There were no error codes coming up on the computer. They told me that it was probably bad gasoline. NOT! It figures nothing happens when I bring it in. Talking to some co-workers, they think it could be the module that regulates the timing. But still not sure. I'm on another trip back to the dealership this Thursday. A different one this time. Its a bigger place so I'm hoping that the technicians have had experience with this problem. I'll keep you posted.. Let me know if you find anything out. Thanks.
  • slp77slp77 Member Posts: 12
    i'm thinking of buying a used 96-98 maxima but...

1) i've read that it requires premium gas. if
    you don't run premuim do you get alot of engine
    pinging? is anyone here using regular?

2) i live in LA and am looking at getting an
    automatic (my left leg is starting to look like
    conan the barbarian's). how many miles can
    i expect out of a well cared for nissan
    automatic?

3) i haven't found anything (good or bad) about
    cup holders. i'm sure it must have them, any
    comments about them?

4) i've read alot of comments about
    people who either loved or hated the milage they
    were getting. however, no one seems to actually
    say what they are actually getting. what can
    i expect for city/highway driving?

5) and finally, i've had slight experience working
    on nissan vehicles but never a maxima. just how
    hard is it to get at the engine? any comments about
    any other maintenance issues?

thanks
    -slp77
  • black2000maxblack2000max Member Posts: 4
    Thanks fgonzales.

Please keep me posted on what you find out. I am bringing mine in on Monday to have it looked at...

Black2000Max