Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• minimusminimus Member Posts: 9
    alcan,

Thanks for the info! Enjoyed the link!

Darn, I wish we had fixed that slave cylinder at the first sign of slippage!!!

minimus
  • fuhrfuhr Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know what service bulletin number takes care of the rattle coming from the rear of the '04 maxima. see message number 1686. can e mail me at rfuhr@bloomberg.net as well as post answer on site.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I saw a new 04 SE Maxima advertised for $ 24,999. I assume that this must be a base model without options. Even so, this appears to be a good price considering that there is no rebate on the vehicle and the MSRP is about $ 28K even on the base SE model. However, I am discouraged by the quality control issues with the 04 models. Maybe it is a good idea to wait a year until they work out the bugs out of this vehicle.
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Member Posts: 212
    Edmunds lists invoice as $24,734.
  • billdelpbilldelp Member Posts: 5
    I have a 99 max se and had the #2 coil replaced when the engine mis-fired. Cost $250 at a local mechanic. no problems since, I would hate to replace them all at once and the mechanic said it would be rare that would happen.
  • htn123htn123 Member Posts: 15
    I would like to hear yall opinions about TSB.
    Here is my situation:
    I had a 88 Max. During the first 5 years of driving, I would smell the gas in the cabin on and off. Checked edmunds and there was a TSB out for the fuel valve, but because it did not happened all the time, I just ignored it (not too smart, I know). Then one day it got so bad I brought it in. Found out that the TSB has turned into a recall. Got it fixed for free after 5years.

I got another 2K Max. Now there is a TSB for the ignition coils. The engine knocked all the time. The problem occurs all the time, so I called Nissan and want them to pay for the fix and took it in the dealer. They said my car has 59K on it so too bad, so sad.... I had to pay for the fix.

My point is, if they have a TSB out for a problem, it is for a specific problem. Be it design, manufacture, fabrication problem it's still a problem.
    They don't just put a TSB out for regular problem do they? so when an TSB is out, there is a big problem that enough people has experienced. They need to fix the problem and pay for it.
    Poor smuck like me had to pay for it until enough people complained about it then they will do a recall and fix for free.
    So as far as I am concerned Nissan did a poor job of dealing with customer satisfaction.
    BTW, my wife and I have bought 4 Nissan sofar, 88 max, 2K max, 89 Stanza, 03 Murano. And I cosigned my friends to a Nissan Quest and Sentra. After I told the Nissan CSR about all these cars. They still said, too bad, so sad....
    At this time, I don't think the next car will be a Nissan at all.
  • josel1138josel1138 Member Posts: 12
    Hi……..has anyone had a problem with a wind noise leak on their Maxima?…………..I’ve got an 03 Maxima that makes a slight swishing and whistling from a rear side window when the speed reaches or exceeds 50mph………….any thoughts would be welcome…………..Thanks, jl
  • sox_in_04sox_in_04 Member Posts: 27
    I have a '93 Maxima that is on it's last legs. Any and all info on TSBs and fixes would be greatly appreciated.
  • tomtravtomtrav Member Posts: 5
    i have an 04 max se.the right front brake squeak is so loud that i can hear it in the house as my wife backs the car out of the garage.after 2 trips to dealer i was told this is considered normal by nissan.car is only 2 mos old.this is our 3rd max and quality has always been tops.this disappoints me and i wonder if any others have encountered this.
  • pordypordy Member Posts: 2
    There is a TSB about wind noise for 00 - 03 maximas (NTB01029). Common problem- my '02 has it and getting fixed tomorrow.
    Autozone and other parts stores sell a disc brake paste, which when smeared on the back of the pads, will effectively eliminate squealing. It is worth a try - it is only a few dollars and some work on your part. Unfortunately, to get effective results, you must unbolt the brake calipers, slide them off the rotors, remove the pads and apply the paste on the back of the pads.

Your car is under warranty and this is a bad situation because Nissan can accuse you of "modifying" the brake system if something goes wrong, and void the warranty. The best bet would be to request that Nissan dealer apply an anti-squeal paste to your brake pads.

One more comment. Nissan used to sell (until recently) two different brake pad types for Maxima. One set was the original replacement set, the other was an economy set, which cost roughly one half of the original replacement pads. When I bought replacement pads for my 98 Maxima recently, Nissan told me that they discontinued the "economy " version of the pads because they had all kinds of squealing and uneven wear problems with them. Just something to consider: could it be that Nissan used similar "economy pads" in the new 04 models? This is one question I would ask. The OEM pads on my 98 Maxima never squealed and the OEM ones I put on recently do not squeal either, and I did not use the anti-squeal paste on them. The OEM pads for the 98 model are a Hitachi brand made in Japan. Would you believe that Nissan actually eliminated a squealer (wear indicator) on one of the pads? So now you have only one squealer on one wheel. Just how much money can they save on one squealer? These pads go for about $ 60 a set. I bought some NAPA brake pads for $ 8 a set that have squealers on both sides. I installed these on my 95 Nissan 4X4 pickup, have about 30K miles on them and they have performed flawlessly so far - good braking and no squealing at all. Go figure.

Maybe one solution to your problem is going to aftermarket brake pads. But there is this pesky warranty issue again. You can suggest this alternative to your Nissan dealer, who will most likly tell you that they cannot use anything but Nissan brake pads for warranty brake problems.
    After taking a 6 year hiatus on DIY maintenance, I heretofore refuse to deal with incompetent dealers/service people (I know, their not all bad, just seems I have a knack for finding those who are)...I'm baaaack!

My '93 Max needs some TLC. I believe I have broken some studs in the exhaust manifold... Should I tackle it myself, or is this going to require a torch and several 300 pound men?
    Can anyone suggest a good source of discount exhaust parts. I'm guessing when I pull it apart I'm gonna need everything from the manifold back (although the muffler is only 1 1/2 years old).
    dklanecky, you had a post mentioning the Nissan service manual (#1517), is this something a slightly above average DIYer could make good use of?

And one last dumb question, my car runs like you-know-what (rough idol, no power, tranny hesitation...), but I can't ever recall the service light coming on. Would it still be worth taking to autozone to see if any codes are stored? It's a '93 so ignition coils can't be the culprit, but I don't know what it has for O2 sensors, MAF, etc.

I don't normally do this sort of thing, but I just went through a lot of the old posts screening for those most relevent and just had to hollar out a general THANK YOU!
    And p100, man that tire balancing post was a cold splash of reality!
  • timadamstimadams Member Posts: 294
    I had the wind noise repair done to my back doors last month, and it does indeed make a noticeable improvement. Your service department should know about the TSB.
  • rjbusenitzrjbusenitz Member Posts: 13
    I have a 92 maxima gxe that just started having some electrical problem. All of the sudden, the radio and antennae stopped working, the keypad on the door for locking/unlocking the doors, opening trunk etc. stopped working, the anti-theft stopped working and the automatic seatbelt will not operate with the ignition off. I thought it was a fuse, but no fuses are bad. Then I thought it might be the anti-theft relay by the battery, but i replaced it and nothing changed. Is there some secret fuse that I am missing? Help? i am tired of having to open my door while the ignition is on to have the seatbelt go down.
    has intermittent electrical problems like the ones you mentioned. Inability to use key less entry, seat belts don't retract, etc. Comes and goes.
    I haven't been able to isolate the problem though.
    I'm sure someone here will have had success fixing such...I hope.
    Anyone know what the best rust penetrator is? I always used WD-40 in the past, but I assume there might be something better by now. I have to replace the exhaust system on my Max and those bolts are corroded pretty bad. Any fire safety issues I should be concerned with spraying a penetrator on my exhaust system, then driving?
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    The best rust penetrator for an exhaust system is a TORCH ;-) You could try Liquid Wrench but it's about the same as WD40. Or 3M has a product too. Usually with exhaust the bolts get frozen in place from the heat and you end up torching. Not something I've done personally, just hearsay from reading lots on chat boards.
    Yeah, I know the trusty torch does wonders.
    But its not the same working on these cramped engine compartments as it was in my '72 Dodge Dart with the infamous slant 6 (you could crawl inside and shut the hood!). I was trying to avoid the burnt arms, fingers, wiring, etc.
    But your probably right, a little burn salve is probably better than a broken exhaust manifold stud ;-)
    Some consider BP Blaster a good rust penetrant too. Personally, I had excellent experience with using an air impact wrench on loosening rusty nuts, such as ones on exhaust system clamps. Most of the time I could not even budge them with a hand wrench, but my 400 ft-lbs impact wrench spun them off instantly without breaking the clamp. A good air impact wrench is definitely a life saver for some jobs.
  • gymshoegymshoe Member Posts: 80
    Okay...so my 2000 Maxima SE suffered the Service Engine Soon syndrome accompanied with the engine shakes. Reading a bunch of the posts from 3 months ago, sounds like I have hit the bad coils...I fit right in. 2000 maxima, 51K miles. Bam! almost like clock work right fellas? So my question is..
    will I do further damage if i keep driving it? ...I mean ...like another day or two. Long enough to get me to work tomorrow and then to the mechanic?
    I've heard your "ok" to drive it if the SES light is on solid. If it starts blinking, then you're supposed to pull over immediately. Don't know about driving with bad coils. What I can give you is advice on how to go about fixing your problem. There's a guy that works for a Nissan parts dealer on another chat board that sells coils at a heavy discount because it's the biggest parts dealer in the nation and he sells LOTS of coils. You can buy the coils for MUCH cheaper than a normal dealer. Then you can either fix it yourself, which I've hear is super easy for front 3 and hard for rear 3 cylinders. Or pay a mechanic to just put in the coils that you already have in your possession. Another big recommendation I have is to change all 6 coils and also the spark plugs. I've heard MANY guys who are into Maximas big time say the plugs and coils need to go at 60K give or take. Big improvements in engine performance. These guys dyno their cars and everything. If you want to buy the coils, respond to this post and give me an email address and I'll give you the name of the website and guys name to look for. He's on their daily or even hourly.
    Seeya
  • gymshoegymshoe Member Posts: 80
    sure...send me the info...
    you can find me at gymshoe42@yahoo.com

What's very interesting is...my problems happened last night. This morning, turned the car on and it's running smoothly. SES light is still on solid, but car runs fine now...no shaking. Drove to the gym then to work out ...still no shaking. What the heck is going on?! ..it's like it can't decide if it wants to break down.
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    Anyone know what antifreeze came in it?

red?

or green?
    Very good chance it was green. My 2000 has green. I think they all came with green. I don't think Nissan uses Dexcool in any of their vehicles. Then again I ain't no mechanic either, just a frequent flyer in Nissan chat boards.

seeya
    The 98 model came with the green stuff. The 99 model most liely came with the green too.
    I have been using Prestone in my 95 Nissan truck and 98 Maxima for years now with no adverse effects. Both radiators look absolutely clean. I believe the key here is to use a 50:50 mix of antifreeze and water (for most climates) and use ONLY DISTILLED water. Also, I replace coolant every 15K miles, which may be an overkill, but I do not drain the engine blocks. By draining the radiator only you drain about one half of the total coolant capacity. This is why I replace coolant every 15K miles.

I believe that if you use tap water in your system, you will get a lot of mineral deposit buildup in time, no matter what kind of coolant you use.
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    About using distilled and NOT tap water in the cooling system. I knew this is true of batteries, and I just found out about that recently. I will make sure to remember these points when I get my new car in March. Thanks.
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    On my 99 you have to re - select it every time you start the car. It does not say where you set it the last time.

anyway to keep it on?
  • c1693c1693 Member Posts: 1
    I'm experiencing the exact same problem as the one described in post item #1691.
    I recently purchased a 2003 Maxima SE with 15,000 miles also and I noticed the same sort of "popping" noise when I go over bumps. I am having problems with a vibration around 60-65 mph which according to the NISSAN dealer is not related to bad tires, balancing or bad rims. Would it be possible that a defect in the CV joints or shafts are the cause of both problems (popping noise and vibration)?
    Bad outer CV joints will cause a clicking noise when you make a slow turn. Bad inner CV joints can cause a vibration problem, but it will be noticeable mainly upon hard acceleration and also be felt primarily in the vehicle floorboards and the seat(I had this problem with a 99 Mazda 626 and replacing the axles/joints cured the problem). Maximas have rather stout CV joints so I doubt that your vibration problems are related to defective CV joints (There is possibility that you could have a bent axle shaft but this can be easily checked by any competent mechanic). I bet that vibration is related to the tires if you still have the original Bridgestones. These tires are the reason why I did not buy a new 03 Maxima SE. It too had a vibration in the steering wheel around 60 MPH when I took it for a test drive. Solution: get yourself a good set of Michelin tires and find somebody who can properly balance them. As far as the popping noise goes, it could be caused by loose or defective suspension bushings or defective front struts. Check with your Nissan dealer if there is a service bulletin on this issue.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    A buddy of mine runs a car repair shop, they run into this problem a LOT. They use a product called Heli-coil I think, you drill out the stud (he had a small air powered drill) - just don't drill to far into the water jacket of the block. Then, insert the product and it should solve your problem. But this is a difficult (access) and tricky job for a DIY guy, you need to find a good shop I'd guess, or if you have all the tools and some skill, go for it. I have not personally needed to do this, btw.

DD
  • ihavemax02ihavemax02 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a Max 2002 few months ago with 18k mi, overall, I love it!
    Howver, the only 2 problems I have so far were my driver window suddenly stuck, it couldn't roll up or down... Just want to know if anyone has same problem? will it come more? (hope not) Not good in winter with icy road! It couldn't move when the road was very icy because its head is too heavy! Now only slight snow, I am ok with it :-)
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Member Posts: 212
    A friend had the same problem on a Pathfinder. The solution was to replace the lift motor. On my Accord, I had windows that would also stick, but I solved the problem by applying silicone spray to the seals and window tracks.
  • dimmerdimmer Member Posts: 2
    OK, this is really ticking me off. I just bought a new '04 Maxima. To even remotely have a chance at cleaning the windshield, I have to turn the wipers on high and continuously flood my window with fluid hoping that some cleaning fluid will be splashed to the middle and top of the windshield. I’ve taken this into the dealer and they’ve informed me that there is no solution, “must be a design flaw”, they said. Does anyone know of a solution (fix) to how I can get the angle of spray adjusted to reach higher onto my windshield?
    I have a 2000 Maxima and mine sucks also. Same thing, shoots one wussy little stream up about half way. Heard this complaint from other Max owners as well. Would've thought they'd fixed that by now. Not sure on a fix, may have to look for an aftermarket system or something, if there is such a thing.
  • blh7068blh7068 Member Posts: 375
    fwiw my wiper fluid nozzels shoot fine...
    The nozzles can be adjusted by inserting a stiff piece of thin wire or a needle into each nozle and moving it into a desired position to achieve adequate spray height. I assume that 2002 and later models still have the nozzles on the hood.
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    I have a '03 MAX SE with 11500 trouble-free miles. This winter, however, there is a creaking sound coming from the dashboard on the passenger side. The sound seems to be originating from along the line where the dash and the bottom of the winshield meet. I'm not sure if the sound comes from the dash or the winshield, or both. It only happens when the car goes over bumps and the outside temp is below freezing.

I wonder if anyone has the same problem, and what is the solution.

Since it doesn't happen all the times, I really don't want to bring this up to the dealer. I'm afraid they gonna tear up the dash, and only to create more creakings and rattlings later on.
  • kp40mkp40m Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2003 GLE (20,000 miles) with a similar dash creak when its cold outside and I go over bumps. The creak stops if I push down on the plastic housing above the clock. I am going in for service this week and will post what I find.
    Possibly some genius at Nissan suggested that they save a few felt strips when assembling the dash on later model Maximas. After all, these people eliminated one small metal clip (squealer) per disc brake set. I fail to see how can you realize any meaningful savings by not installing a 10 cent metal clip on a $ 60 set of brake pads.
  • johnny2003johnny2003 Member Posts: 24
    I purchased a 2003 SE in May. The driver's side mirror vibrates when driving, not the housing, just the mirror inside. Took it to the dealer and they where unable to tighten it. The passengers mirror is perfectly still. Should i just have them replace the whole unit?

Anyone with similar problem and a fix?
    Yes, insist on mirror replacement. That is what the warranty is for. If Nissan chooses to go with a cheaper supplier to save money and installs inferior product on this car, you have every right to demand a good quality mirror. Besides, this is a safety related issue, rather that a purely cosmetic one.
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    can't wait to hear an update on your car after you take it for servicing.

Besides this little annoyance, the car has been flawless. I only wish that I had gotten a 330i instead, for the smaller size and a bit more nimbleness. :-(

Ironically, for two straight mornings I saw two different 330i convertibles, all are 2001+ models, left on the side of the same stretch of road w/ their emergency lights blinking. And then I started feeling better about my max again.... :-)
  • maximaeliteguymaximaeliteguy Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 04 with Elite package back in November. I have read several postings from people complaining of the cabin never getting warm. I am having the same problem. I live on the coast of NC so the coldest is about high 20's to low 30's and I still can't get very warm in the car. Just took it in to service and the response was "that's just a Nissan.." I have a 93 celica that will run you out the car with the heater but I can't get warm heat out of a $35,000 car? Anyone know of any remedies, recalls, etc. for this problem. The only other complaint I have is the very poor turn radius. Guess there are no fixes for that one...Any help very much appreciated
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    There's a section of pages in the 04 Maxima Service Manual that describes how to trouble shoot this specifically as an issue.

It is in the Automatic Air Conditioner section (ATC-pages 85-94).

As I read through this section, there's a lot of potential problem areas with this system, temp sensors, dual controls, remembered settings, etc.

I'd call the dealer and tell them you specifically want them to run this section to resolve the issue, not just say it's a Nissan, that's BS, IMO.
    As posted above, my 2000 Max had the same creak in the A-pillar on passenger side. This was a really common problem on 5th gen Maxis. The easiest fix is as mentioned above, take a piece of felt that's same color as your trim and wedge it in that seam. It's the plastics rubbing on each other and a piece of felt will keep them separated. It's working for me for last 30k miles ;-). Except now I have another one that's worse going up the b-pillar where the seatbelt comes out. I'm in MN and it's COLD here and I have more creaks in winter than summer.
    My 2000 Max SE has a weird problem going on. All my lights including headlights, gauge cluster, dome light, fog lights, basically everything except the clock and radio numbers all FLICKER really fast simultaneously. It's worst at idle with car in gear. If I turn the car off but leave the lights on the problem goes away. Does this sound like the Alternator or Voltage Regulator in the Alternator???? Doesn't seem like battery, I've left the car out recently for 24+ hours in 40 degrees below zero and it started. How tough is it to check ground wires?
  • dimmerdimmer Member Posts: 2
    Sorry P100, your assumptions aren’t accurate. The fluid dispensers are located under the hood. Second, the Altima (not the Maxima) has pin-hole dispensers that can be adjusted. So far the dealer hasn’t been able to come up with a solution. I’ve even requested that the Altima dispensers be put on my Maxima.
    As you can imagine, the dealer hasn’t call me back with an answer to that one yet!
    Get a direct current voltmeter and attach to the battery terminals. Start the engine and watch the voltage. If the voltage regulator is working correctly you should see about 13.5 to 14.0 volts without much fluctuation. Turn on the lights and observe the indicated voltage. It should drop some (about 0.5 to 1 volt, depending on the load), but it should not fluctuate wildly. If you see quick voltage fluctuation, something like 12 to 15 volts, you probably have a defective voltage regulator. To check the ground wires, first check the negative battery cable connection to the engine block. You need a shop manual to see where other small grounds are located in the vehicle. Some grounds may be located behind the instrument cluster.
    It figures. The old hood mounted nozzles were too reliable and too easily adjustable, so they had to redesign them. All of my cars and trucks have hood mounted nozzles, so I never had problems like you describe.