Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• choosinuchoosinu Member Posts: 23
    Hi vcarreras,

I doubt Nissan is going to pay for anything that goes wrong at 103K miles. This is my second Max, the other was a 92 and I hadno trouble with it. Turned it over to my son and typical young man, he traded those reliable 4 doors in for a Mustang.

Can you tell me where you got your coils? I have been checking auto parts web sites most of the day and I find plugs but no coils.

If anyone else knows where I can get them, please chime in.
  • vcarrerasvcarreras Member Posts: 247
    to buy the ignition coils through a Nissan dealership in Austin, Texas. (1-888-254-6060) If I recall it was like $57 each for the front 3 and $63 each for the back 3. Total cost like $387 including tax plus cost for UPS shipping. Costs may be different for your 2000 since mine is a 1999. Ask for Dave B. Hope this helps. Easy to install as long as you have tools.

I had a 95 SE MAX which was trouble free to 134K when it was totaled when someone cut in front of my son. It was replaced with this 1999 SE Limited.

The 99 is at the dealership in Atlanta and was just told that the computer is bad and has to be replaced! It is covered under warranty! No computer in stock so they are giving my son a rental. They said it would be ready tomorrow. I will let you know what happens..
  • powercat21powercat21 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for some help and direction......I just recently began experiencing some electrical problems with my 2001 Maxima GLE. When I shut off the car, my electric locks, dome lights, key fob, trunk opener, power sunroof all stop working. However, when I turn my key on to where the battery is working then all the above mentioned electronics work.

I checked all of the fuses that I know of and did not find any broken fuses...at this point I am at a loss as it is affecting many electrical items but not all....the radio continues to work when the key is in the accessories position, but no dome light, key fob, locks, etc.

Any suggestions?
  • pajem40pajem40 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else experienced this problem with their 2004 SE? My SE is 8 months old and I recently experienced a problem. Service engine light came on and car lost all acceleration. I felt a surge the instance the light came on. The engine did not completely shut down. I was going about 35 miles per hour and accelerating. Car is currently at the dealer being repaired. I have been told by the service manager that it was the throttle body motor and this controls the air flow to the system. I have a concern about this because I previously owned a 2002 Altima that experienced a similar problem twice, but each time was told that is was the master air flow sensor. Doesn't this sound like the same thing? Each incident has been while car is accelerating. Maybe Nissan's are not for me anymore.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    There are two belts, one that drives the power steering oil pump and the other one drives the air conditioner and alternator.
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    Thanks again
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    Where the hell is the fuel filter on a 2000 maxima
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    From others' experiences....this is due to fuel pump problems; computer mix up that is shutting off the fuel supply.

Have dealer replace fuel pump under warranty!!!
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Unfortunately, the fuel filter is located inside the fuel tank with the fuel pump and is not considered to be a normal maintenance item unless the vehicle is experiencing fuel delivery problems. Of course ,if you have some free time on your hands, go ahead and change it.
  • deciding3deciding3 Member Posts: 13
    Hi everybody!
    I have a 2001 maxima se and for the past several months have been noticing a knocking sound from the front. I've taken it to a dealer but they didn't fix it. Of late I'm noticing that my steering wheel tilts a little bit and on the freeway, the wheel vibrates/ shakes. From what I can guess, it seems like its my transverse link that seems to have broken. ( I saw the recall description on the 01/02 maxima, though mine is not covered by the recall). Recently I had taken my car in for an oil change and the dealer replaced my power steering drive belts for $150 saying they were cracking.
    Does all this point to the transverse link, or could it be something else? Anyone knows how much they cost?
    Any other advice for me? Thanks!
  • wantmaximawantmaxima Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know where to get a rebuilt auto transmission for my 1991 maxima or 1990 maxima, since 1990 and 1991 are identical in theory. I need it desperately. I'm without a car now. Thanks.
  • chancey1chancey1 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Maxima and didn't know until after I paid for it that the speedometer doesn't work. It'll say I'm going about 95 mph when I'm doing 70. If I'm using cruise control, sometimes it'll kick back to where it should be. I'm driving by tach right now. Any advice or solutions? Overall are Maximas fairly good cars or am I going to have to dump money into it?
  • dtd98dtd98 Member Posts: 21
    I have a 95 Max SE with 108K miles on it, and the other day my odometer stops turning. I reset the trip meter and it doesn't turn.However , from time to time it turns for a couple of miles , then stops. Some thing is loose inside electrically. Any one knows how this can be fixed?
    Thanks.
    dtd_98
  • brianzibrianzi Member Posts: 6
    I have a couple of questions I was hoping you fine people can answer.
    1. How do you know if the O2 sensor goes bad? Will the check engine light come on? Are they easy to replace?

2. I just bought new Falken tires and I was wondering if any of you know what kind of alignment I should have done on the car. I noticed that my old-front-driver-side tire has wear on the outside. I believe that is a toeing issue. Do any of you have alignment problems?
    I appreaciated the tire balancing article someone wrote way back.

Thanks.
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I can't speak about alignment but I can about O2. I had one go at 59K. My SES light came on so I went to Autozone to get code pulled for free. They attached the little hand held computer thing and pulled the code in < 2 mins. It was a P13 da da something that gave a short description of O2 Sensor Bank 1 Number 2. I inquired about buying the part from Autozone and they tried to pull one up with no luck. They said can only get Maxima O2 sensor from Nissan dealer. Need OEM. Part was expensive from dealer, can't remember exactly how much, like $134+? Anyway, I had the dealer replace it and reflash the ECU and I was out of there for like $300 when all said and done. Would I do that again, probably not. Would I fix myself, probably not. It was like $134 for the part that looks like a spark plug, plus $79 to reflash the ECU (computer) and $100 labor as they said they had to heat the sensor to get it out.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    You might get it checked for alighnment. FWD cars are hard on front tires, esp. outside edge if you drive hard. If you turn while spinning the tires frequently, plan on all the tread being removed from the outside edge! Don't ask me how I know. That is not an alignment problem, but a driver problem. You also need to rotate tires frequently.

D
    1) Try www.courtesynissan.com or www.newnissanparts.com for your 02 sensors. Other than the SES light coming on, the fuel mileage could possibly be affected.

2) One thing I gotta give Nissan credit for is that the front ends on their cars are well engineered and rugged. I should know, I've owned 5 Nissans and I've never had any trouble with alignment. On both my 2k and my 2k2 Max's , I keep the front tires 2 psi higher than the factory recommends with no special alignment other than to factory specs.

I also have the Falken ZE-512 tires. They ride smooth, are quiet and perform very well in the rain. I'm very happy with them.

If you take those cloverleafs a little too fast with under inflated tires, you could see unusually high edge wear. Thats why I check air pressure monthly and add the extra 2psi. Works for me.
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    Try calling 1-888-254-6060 and ask for Dave B. The number's for a parts dept. at a Nissan dealership and he gives the best prices. Just bought 01 GXE front brake pads for $47, while my dealers here in Atl. want about $74.

If it's just one tire, it sounds like an alignment issue. I would recommend a realignment so you don't waste your new tires.
  • mpillaiusmpillaius Member Posts: 10
    About the famous IGNITION COIL problem in Nissan Maxima.
    I saw my check engine light on, after around 37000 Miles on my 2001 Maxima SE. When I took it to the dealer, he told me my warranty expired at 36000 miles, and so I need to pay $790 to replace all the six ignition coils as recommended by Nissan. I calledup Nissan, and after a bit of mess with the dealer, I was able to get this replacement done by Nissan Dealer free of cost.

Something I found was that, my vehicle I bought in california, and the Maxima-2001's with CA emission have a 50000miles/3Years warranty on some stuff (like ignition coil).

-Manoj
  • maxlessmaxless Member Posts: 9
    What's the chance of recovering the cost of replacing the coils? I had it done at approximately 62K miles and now I have 86K. At that time I did not realize it was such a well known problem. I try to stay up on things so I am somewhat embarrassed I missed this one.
  • sysadmin1sysadmin1 Member Posts: 122
    I just got back from Auto Zone trying to get state inspection...and my 02 GLE falied!!! 45K miles on it. They told me that the upper left tie rod and the lower ball joint are bad and need replacing. has ANYONE here donet his kind of repair yet??? I find it ridiculous that I have to fix this thing. 9K out of warranty. Unreal. I went there to see it and pulled on the wheel and saw. Whole wheel moves around 1/2" to 3/4", the right side is perfectly solid. Junk...Last nissan I will ever buy. Just waiting for my ignition coils to go I guess...
  • leonivleoniv Member Posts: 120
    I would have to say your chances are slim. Since you're out of warranty, the dealership would have to eat the $600+ cost of repair which would seem unlikely. They're just like you, they don't want to pay for it either =). Good luck.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    You could always move to Maryland. Only emissions testing after purchase every two years. No yearly inspections on anything else. Of course that means we have a lot of junk riding on our roads too.
  • choosinuchoosinu Member Posts: 23
    Thank you all who offered great advice.

I purchased my coils and plugs through DaveB and paid 310. delivery included. In my area dealer wanted 500 plus tax for all. They wanted another 300 to do the work.

My only question now is, "How will I know if I didn't do it right". The only thing I'm concerned about is the plugs. Someone told me they were pre gapped NGK Platinum, but I am having second thoughts that I should have checked that. Also, since I didn't have a torgue wrench I followed the " when snug add 1/4 more turn" rule. Will they work themselves lose if not tight enough? I'm a pro now, so I don't have a problem going back in and redoing if you think I should.

So far car feels great, no hesitation like I had noticed.

Thanks again.
  • pdw300pdw300 Member Posts: 1
    Hey man im having the same problems with my maxima , just wondering if you figured out what the problem was with yours. I also have over drive on mine and i can turn the over drive off , or it will shift rough every time. anyway, just checking to see if you fixed your problem. appreciate you r time,
    Pat
  • oo9joeoo9joe Member Posts: 1
    hi all,
    i have a 2003 max se. bought it in Feb.2003. During winter of 2003(dec. to April), I started to notice that almost everymorning when i started the car, i would hear a rattle noise from the engine and the rpm would go up even after i was done turning the key. another problem i encounter is when the car is parked uphill or downhill, to shift on reverse, the shifting gear stucks. Can't move to reverse. Have to force the shifting gear a few time to be able to move it.
    I thought the rattle noise would happen only during cold weather, but this past sunday May 9,i heard the noise again but not as loud as during the cold temp. I will have it service this Tuesday. I need to know if anyone is experiencing the same problem that I do with the 03 Max SE.
    About the sentra 2001. the horn did not work right after the warranty. However, I bought the extented warranty but the dealer told me that even the extended warranty does not cover the horn. Is that a waste of my money to buy an extended warranty or what????? they have a whole list of coverage but not for the horn sound...
    need to know.
    thanks
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    The noise you hear when stating the cold engine may be hydraulic valve lifters. What kind of oil filters do you use? Suggest using Nissan oil filters of equivalent which have an anti-draining membrane to help prevent draining of oil from the cylinder head.

As far as parking up or down hill, always engage the hand brake before placing the selector in park. This will unload the locking pawl in the transmission and make shifting from park easy. Shift first, then release the hand brake.
    NGK plugs are pre-gapped at .042, Nissan recommends .044 ( not a
    big deal, but I always go with Nissan specs.) I also use anti-seize
    compound on the threads of each spark plug because of the aluminum heads. After seating the plug, you should be fine with a 1/4 to 1/3 turn more.
    I always use Nissan parts in my cars including oil filters and I STILL occasionally get a slight rattle on start-up. If you read these boards enough, you'll see that this is a frequent occurance with the VQ engines. No one has EVER given me a reasonable explanation as to why this happens. Of course the dealer will not do a thing about it.

There is a school of thought that swears by the Pure One oil filters.....who knows.

All I can say is , I don't like the rattle. It is not normal !!
    If it bothers you alot, sell the car.
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    2K Max. with only 19K miles had selight go on 2 mos ago and dealer replaced all coils at their expense. Now light on again, car runs fine, and dealer said drive it for several days as it may just be bad gas ie O2 sensor. Somewhat disgusted and a couple of friends drive theirs for months with light on and just ignore it. Only trouble will be when it is time for emissions inspect. Any advice? or just play the game and go back to dealer after the several days?
    If you have Autozone stores in your area go there and get the code pulled for free. Then you at least know what you're dealing with. It can come on for leaving the gas cap too loose, not usually for "bad gas". O2 sensor is VERY common problem on 2000 Maxis, same as coils.
  • dcoonsdcoons Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2000 Maxima recently with 38000 mi. Shortly thereafter heard pinging noise so took it to dealer. He fixed by replacing all 6 coils at cost of $800 with no warranty by dealer or factory despite my numerous calls to Nissan. Afterwards I checked Edmunds and found that this is common problem. So, my only recourse is to recommend that nobody buy Nissan and I certainly won't buy again. Have also read several articles in trade magazines recently such as Business Week 5/17/04 page 44 about the numerous quality problems at Nissan. If you are considering buying Nissan, beware! Sad that the dealer didn't go to bat for me and the manufacturer washed his hands. Fortunately, in my case the fellow that I bought car from shared the expense with me. Also, fortunately we all have other good car choices in the future.
    VW and Audi had same type coil problems. Not sure if they came from same source manufacturer, but it ain't just Nissan. It was a defect in the supply chain, Nissan's vendor gave them junk parts. Not much they can do about it besides get a new vendor or make vendor fix, which they did. Yes it would be nice if they'd go to bat and do a recall or something, but such is not so. Pay the fee to upgrade to new ones and move on. Overall life of vehicle I'll stack Nissan against most others. Just look at how many TL's and Honda's have had tranny issues. And that's HONDA!
  • nssndrvrnssndrvr Member Posts: 1
    After driving for several months with SES light on and off and on again I went to autozone and read the following code:

P0420 = Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

It's a 2000 maxima with 66K on it. AFAIK certain parts of emission system are still under warranty (maybe just here in CA) but some are not.
    Does anyone know what triggers this code?

Thanks
  • aunchbaunchb Member Posts: 1
    May be you guys can help me with one.I have a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE.In the morning time or in the evening time,when I'm driving the car I hear this low whispering sound when I start to acclerated,any ideal what it might be?...........Dave in Seattle
    Sure, wind ;-)
    Give us more info, where's the noise coming from, is it only when accelerating? Louder the faster or harder you accelerate?
  • chazgxe91chazgxe91 Member Posts: 1
    A loud rattle under my recently purchased '91 GXE was a worn heat shield that the local Firestone removed. I understand the heat shield's purpose, but should I replace the part asap or can it wait a bit? I bought the car for my teenager, so we intend to keep it for a while, hopefully! Thanks.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    I have an early 2003 Max SE (built July 2002) with the same annoying noise on startup occasionally. Seemed more frequent in the wintertime but it has happened recently. I haven't heard of any major durability problem with it but it is somewhat disconcerting considering that the VQ35 engine is one of the best. I use either NISSAN or PureOne oil filters and change oil at ~5000 mile intervals. The car is mechanically sound in every other area. Don't get me started on dashboard creaks/rattles though...
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    I have a 2001 GLE. Here's the problem - when I lift the driver's side window button all the way up (auto mode) the window closes and then goes down a couple of inches. It is as if the window does not recognize it has closed, but instead assumes it hit an obstacle and stops/rolls down a little.

When lifting that button just a little and holding it there (manual mode) the window closes just fine.

Does anyone know what might be wrong? How much is this likely to cost to fix at the dealer?

Thanks!
  • hound97hound97 Member Posts: 22
    Hello,

I recently went to my local Nissan dealer because of a vibration I assumed was related to an out of balance tire. I was told that during the balancing process the tech found that both my right rims were bent and should be replaced at a cost of $617 EACH! I have an 01 Maxima with 17" wheels. I was told they can't be straightened. Any advice? My car is vibrating quite a bit and it's driving me crazy!

Thanks!
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Do a web search for "wheel repair" and choose your flavour from the dozens of results like these:

http://www.wheelwizard.com/
    http://www.fixrim.com/
    http://www.customwheelrepair.com/
    If for some reason your stock rims are bent, which seems odd unless you hit a curb or something, why not buy a full set of 4 after market rims? That's obviously a last result instead of buying stock replacements. Can get sweet rims for way less than $600/ea. Plus get to have fun picking something different than everbody else has. I'm no fan of the bling blings, but some nice conservative sporty 5 spokes are nice, for like $200-250/ea.
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Why not check out ebay?
    You can probably get a set of 4 with tires for that price.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I seriously doubt that bent rims is your problem. Most likely a defective tire or totally incompetent balancing which is unfortunately so common that it should be suspected first. Did you ask the technician to demonstrate to you on the balancer just how bent your rims are? Anyway, you can do this yourself by jacking up one car wheel at a time and spinning them while holding a supported block of wood close to the rim (dial run out gauge would be the best instrument, but a block of wood will do for finding gross rim deformation).

Slightly bent rims will not cause bad vibration if tires are good and properly balanced. It is highly doubtful that your rims are that badly bent without showing signs of impact or damage.
  • bill73083bill73083 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 Maxima SE standard. The car makes a creaking noise. The noise is coming from the rear of the car, it sounds like the rear left. It started by just making the noise on a hard left turn, but has evolved into doing it when I'm driving at highway speeds now as well. It doesn't happen all the time. I recently replaced the rear struts, so I'm sure its not that. I also have good tires, so I'm sure that those are not at fault either. I was just wondering if anyone else has or had this problem and knows how to fix it. Thanks.
  • maxsteelmaxsteel Member Posts: 5
    I've had the same code read at AutoZone, I've got a 2001 GXE with 25,000 miles on it. A web site I found lists codes for 95--00 Maximas and it has this listed: "P0420 TWC Function RH Bank". I went ahead and replaced the two rear O2 sensors (2000 Maximas have only one rear O2 sensor). The SES light has not come on again, but it's only been a month.

I'd like to know if anyone has any info as well.
  • wittb2001wittb2001 Member Posts: 1
    Hello Everybody,

I own a 1990 Nissan maxima and I am having a little bit of a problem that I can not diagnose. What is happening is the car has the automatic temprature control unit in it, and the unit thinks that it is -22 below outside when you press the AMB button. Since the unit thinks it is so cold it want to blow heat when it is 70 degrees outside. I don't know if this is the unit, or if it is the temprature sensor, or possibly the relay, but any information would be helpful. Thank you.

wittb
  • richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
    i have a 03 Max. SE built in Nov. 02. I have noticed similar rattling noise almost every time i start engine; it is loud especially when the engine is cold. At first i thought it was the type of gas so i switched to supreme. It did not ease the noise so i changed oil type from 5w30 castro to 10w30 penzoil. Now, occasionally the i hear it again in the morning. I took my car to the dealer and describe to them the problem, but they did not do anything about. PLEASE ADVISE & HELP. My e-mail is richbf2@hotmail.com Feel free to contact. thanks
  • federale46federale46 Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same problem on my 97 Maxima. It loosens up with WD-40. I haven't used graphite because I am afraid that crud will accumulate in the switch. I have had this problem with several cars, and when it gets real bad, I have the switch replaced. I am leery about going to the Nissan dealer because he seems to be high on everything. I would like to have information on how much a Nissan dealer would nick me for this job.
  • richbf2richbf2 Member Posts: 73
    I have a 03 Max. SE built in Nov. 02; the car has 26,200mi. I have noticed rattling noise almost every time i start engine; it is loud especially when the engine is cold. At first i thought it was the type of gas so i switched to supreme. It did not ease the noise so i changed oil type from 5w30 castro to 10w30 penzoil. Now, occasionally the i hear it again in the morning. I took my car to the dealer and describe to them the problem, but they did not do anything about. PLEASE ADVISE & HELP. My e-mail is richbf2@hotmail.com Feel free to contact. thanks