Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    This is not really a big problem, the oil pressure is zero when you start the car and the hydrolic valve lifters leak down, which causes excessive lash (looseness) in the valvetrain, which makes it noisy, and this lasts a few seconds until the oil pressure is established. There are many posts about this, if you do a search. Oil filter 1way valves are a common topic of discussion.

I suggest a quality full synthetic like mobil 1, as it will protect your engine even with only what is left from the previous time you ran it. Once I was at the races and saw a mechanic for a CART (high dollar Indy type cars) race car whose primary sponsor was another type of motor oil, but in the pits I saw him open up a Mobil 1 and fill it up. That says a lot.

DD
  • joemaxjoemax Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Maxima GLE that has an occasional starting problem. The engine cranks very well, but will not catch. This seems to occur only in the summer months, and usually I can just let it sit for a half hour or so, and then it will start OK. Nissan service has never been able to find the source of the problem.

Right now the car sits in my driveway, unable to start since yesterday at 5 PM. Still won't start at 10 AM the next day.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any ideas?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Just a guess: I would say that you have a flooding problem. Try to hold down the gas pedal to the floor while cranking if it will not start. This worked well for flooded carburetor equipped cars. Also, do you pump the gas pedal prior to or while cranking the engine? You do not do this with fuel injected cars. Before cranking the engine, switch the ignition on, wait several seconds to let the fuel pump build up the fuel pressure and then crank the engine without touching the accelerator pedal.

I suspect you may have a malfunctioning fuel enrichment circuit, which in this case dumps too much fuel into the engine when cold, and floods it.
  • jskhojskho Member Posts: 107
    Using 10W30 could actually make it worse.
    10W means it is thicker than 5W when cold.
    It will take longer to build up oil pressure
    especially in winter. I agree that you should
    switch to a high quality 5W30 synthetic oil
    for better protection.
  • charlew55charlew55 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Maxima GLE and the chrome on a couple of the wheels is starting to pit & flake. Took it to the dealership (where I have already purchased 2 Maximas and referred another friend there who bought a Max) where I have had all maintenance work done, and was told Nissan would probably not replace them due to "environmental road conditions". After emailing some pics to Nissan, the service manager called to say that, as predicted, the wheels were not covered due to "environmental conditions/improper cleaning". So, it looks like they cover all their basaes with that explanation..if you clean the road salt off the wheels, it's improper, if you leave it on, it eats away at the chrome. By the way, the car has only 19,950 miles on it, and has been driven minimally in snow...kept immaculate, and wheels cleaned only with soft cloth or sponge with the appropriate cleaners. Anybody else experience problems with Nissan's chrome wheels? Thanks! Chuck
  • miketmiket Member Posts: 1
    Just spent a small fortune to replace the engine control module in a 1996 Maxima. Dealer says the A/C condensation drain stopped up & the water sloshed onto the control module. Seems like poor location if that is even remotely possible, but I didn't see any other similar posts in this forum so it must be a rare occurrence. Anyone else hear of this happening on any car? An annual check of the condensation drain is certainly on my maintenance schedule now.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I heard of a similar issue happening on older (89-94) Maximas. Coolant leaking into the computer casing and frying it.
  • aln1972aln1972 Member Posts: 9
    Hi all,
    I have a 01 maxima and has 42K miles on it. All of a sudden I am seeing "Service Engine Soon" light. Please suggest. Recently I had "Check" light on my Honda civic and dealer charged 300. So want to be careful this time around. Any advice if this is a known problem and any fixes for it!!!
    Thanks a ton.
    Alan
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    It's impossible to diagnose the problem solely based on the light. It could be something small, e.g. engine running while refueling may trigger the light, or it could be something big, e.g. new ignition coils that will cost you $500+ to replace.

It all depends. Go to the dealer and let them check it out. They can plug the car's comuter to a reader and get the actual error code.

You can't go by what the Honda dealer changed you - what was wrong with the Honda is not the same as what may be wrong with the Maxima. $300 sounds pretty good considering you may have a serious problem costing a lot more.

Check the car out with the dealer.
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    If you have Autozone stores nearby, they will plug the computer in and check your code for FREE. Then come back to this sight, or search the Web for other Maxima sights, and you can easily find out what the code # says is wrong. Then make determination where to get fixed based on what's wrong. If it is coils, we have contact info for cheapest dealer selling them, then get them put in at an independent garage. Dealer will charge $79 just to read the code, takes 1 minute literally. Seeya.
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    Have a 2K Maxima with only 19K miles and two mos ago lite went on, car ran fine, dealer said needed new coils and Nissan paid for them. A month later lite on again and still ran fine. Drove around awhile then went to dealer and computer said bad oxygen sensor. They were going to charge me 200. plus but I complained and Nissan agreed to pay it all. Lesson learned...even if off warranty but have rel. low miles, complain. Seems these problems are common.
    The coil problems are not that common on older Maximas. I have 85k miles on my 98 Maxima SE and have not replaced the original coils or the oxygen sensor yet. The engine still runs smooth and quiet. My engine service light never came on and the truck has not been to a dealer for any warranty work or even an adjustment. So far I have only replaced tires, brake pads, and the hood pneumatic struts. The original Toyo tires lasted about 60K miles, and the original brake pads still had life left at 80K miles. The hood struts wore out with age because the gas pressure inside decreases to the point that they will not hold up the hood. I had none of the vibration problems mentioned in this forum on late model Maximas.
  • jay144144jay144144 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I just brought a 93 nissan maxima gxe for my son for his birthday. When I brought it the door entry pad code was not know by the current owner. We have no manual with the code. Is there anything I can do to reset it or something. If so please e-mail me at lenoxat325@yahoo.com thanks
  • py111777py111777 Member Posts: 3
    Just brought in my 2000 maxima for a service engine soon light that came on to a Nissan dealer. They found a fault code P0420 and a service bulletin 00-0706 to fix it. They had to reprogrammed the ECM. I was billed $275 for labor. My question is should this be covered under the car's warranty since it's a reprogramming of the ECM and not a repair of any kind to the car. The dealer said it's not. P.S., I only have the basic warranty.
    Reprogramming of the ECM, especially when required by a service bulletin issued by Nissan, should be covered under basic vehicle warranty. Let's just say you buy a new PC. It does not work properly when you first try it, so you take it back. They will tell you that the software programs are not installed properly and they delete all programs and reload the unit and now it works fine. They will tell you that the warranty does not cover this because they did not replace any parts on your PC? Nonsense! I believe that any sane individual would argue with such logic. So my suggestion is to go back and see the service manager of that Nissan dealership. If that does not work, call Nissan regional office.

You could use the same logic they are using on you: since they claim they did not perform any repairs on your car, there should be no cost associated with no repairs.
    If your car is a 2000, then your warranty is up. Bumper to bumper is only 3ry/36K. You're over the 3 years. It's $79 to reprogram the ECU/ECM, not sure why you'd get charged $275, unless of course they did more than just reprogram. What was actually wrong with the car? O2 sensor, coils??? What?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    This might give you some leverage. Scroll down to "What Are Specified Major Emission Control Components?". It states that the ECM is covered for a minimum 8 years, 80,000 miles:

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt
  • py111777py111777 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info. I have just contacted Nissan's consumer hotline. They agreed with me that I should not be charged for reprogramming the ECM. They will contact the dealer and will have them issue me a refund. Will let you know how it turns out.
    Did I read correctly from that link that O2 sensors are covered for 8yrs/80K miles??? I paid $330 to get mine replaced and the ECM flashed at a Nissan dealer in MN. I have a 2000 Maxima which had like 62K on it when SES light came on saying O2 bad. Do I have any leverage in trying to get a refund?? How would I go about doing it? Contact Nissan consumer hotline?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    No. The document clearly states:

Emission control and emission related parts are covered for the first 2 years or 24,000 miles of vehicle use; and

* Specified major emission control components are covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use.

There are three specified major emission control components, covered for the first 8 years or 80,000 miles of vehicle use on 1995 and newer vehicles:

* Catalytic converters.
    * The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU).
    * The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD).
    I had the ECU "flashed" because of the bad O2 sensor, cost me $79. Doesn't that fit into the 8yr/80k? And my thorough investigation found that the problem with Nissan's O2 sensors is not the sensors themselves, it's the ECU. The paramaters for throwing a code were too narrow, so the reprogram widens them. The replacement of the O2 sensor itself was done as a "maintenance" item, even though it was probably fine and the ECU was to blame. This is VERY COMMON on 5th gen Maximas. Very well known in other Max enthusiast forums.
  • corgi33corgi33 Member Posts: 1
    The past few days I have noticed that when I merge with traffic entering the highway on the ramp. My maxima accelerates even after I take my foot off the gas pedal. When I apply the brakes the car slows down but makes a loud thump sound. When I took my Maxima to the dealer they checked it out and said nothing was wrong. I am very happy with my maxima but this acceleration problem concerns me. Any ideas or suggestions on what it could be?.
  • idntnvuidntnvu Member Posts: 254
    Hi all, my dad is looking at a 2000 Maxima GXE with 57k miles, and they are asking $11,000 for it. He said it looked in about average condition. What are some of the known problems with this model? What all have you guys experienced with your maximas? He also wanted to know if this was one of the models that the timing belt had to be replaced at a certain mileage, and how costly it was. This is a private individual selling the car, and blue book on it is less than 10k, edmunds says around 10 or so, but the seller says "firm". Do you guys think this is a good deal? Options on the car are minimal, power windows, locks, mirrors, bose sound, and thats about it. no spoiler, no fog lights, nothin like that. Any info you guys can give will be very helpful. Thanks!
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    timing chain

coil problems in ignition system I think
    Warped Rotors. Bad Coils. O2 sensors. No need replace timing chain. You can do better if you start shopping more Maximas. Can get SE or GLE that'll have many more features and better resale for same price. Keep looking and comparing.
  • lashleroux15lashleroux15 Member Posts: 11
    Hey everyone,

I have an 01 SE that has the front 02 sensor out (code P0420 on the computer). I've got 41K on it (so no warranty) and the dealer came back with $1100 to fix it because there is a tsb on this issue (NTB00-070b) that says replace the sensor and front tube assembly (the tube assy costs $700 alone!!!).

OK, I need to replace the O2 sensor. Question is: Do I need to do the front tube assembly also? I've seen the tsb, asked around with a local mechanic and two dealers, etc.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Or can you tell me what to look for with a "bad" front tube assembly? I'm having issues dropping 1K+ on a car I've owned less than 3 years.

Thanks.
    Kinda funny, my prev post says O2 sensors are a prob on Maxis, that's Nissans by the way and not just the Maxima. Here's my .02. What I know about Maxima O2 sensor problems is that the ECU is often to blame. For me, a "flash" program was entered into the ECU after my rear O2 sensor was replaced. I'm not that technical (on cars anyway), but my understanding was that it widened the parameters that the ECU would allow an O2 sensor to vary before throwing a code. In other words, the sensor could be fine but the ECU has a bad program so it THINKS it's bad. This could very well NOT be the case for you, but for others that are having sensor problems it's worth an investigation. To get the ECU updated it's like $79. So you could try that first, that'll clear the SES light, then you keep driving to see if comes back on. Only thing O2 sensors are good for is emissions, they help the computer regulate fuel to oxygen ratio, so it won't really hurt you to keep driving the car (most often). Except for maybe increased fuel consumption by running too rich. I replaced my O2 sensor ($330 with labor) but I should've just flashed ECU and left O2 cuz it was probably ok. Lastly, O2 sensors are actually considered a regular "maintenance" item, just like spark plugs!! Doesn't mean they should poop out at < 3yrs and 40K miles. Then again neither should my alternator on 2000 Max with 60K miles, but it did for $440. ~seeya
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    Yes - if the O2 sensor fails then you may run too rich which may affect your fuel economy or spark plugs; or you may run too lean resulting in high engine temperatures. If you monitor your temp gauge and all seems ok, then you're probably ok.
    Would you recommend a 2000 Maxima as a grocery getter? This would replace my mother's '93 SSEI Bonneville, which has about 118k on it. 57k is a little high, but that car should still have plenty of life left in it. The price is kinda high on it because the current owners, who are the second owners of the vehicle, have only had it a year, and supposedly still owe better thank 12 grand on the loan. They originally wanted $12,500 for it, but now are "firm" at $11,000. My dad drove it, and said it was okay, but nothing special. My parents would probably use this car for the occasional vacation. What do you guys think? Or do you think they could do better finding an SE or a GLE with all the bells and whistles?
    Find a same year SE or GLE for same price with lower miles and more bells and whistles. GXE is the stripped base model. 11K for a GXE is too much in my opinion. 2000 and 01 Max's are a dime a dozen around here at least. Keep shopping and do some comparing. An SE or GLE will have better resale at 100k miles as well.
  • gerapaugerapau Member Posts: 211
    Was your alternator not covered by the 5 year 60,000 mile warranty? I had a 2000 SE and the alternator went on it after 55,000 miles. the car was not quite 3 years old and it was covered under warranty. I assumed since the car had that many miles that it must have been covered under the 5 year/60,000 mile warranty.
    Nope, not covered under warranty, and I'm pretty surprised yours would be, sounds lucky to me. The 5/60 warranty is supposedly "powertrain" only, meaning transmission and/or motor. Anything after 3 yrs or 36k miles, excluding powertrain, is the owner being SOL. Although I have heard of some people lobbying Nissan for help with various well known product defect problems like coils, repeatedly warped rotors, etc. I found that the alternator part was like $225, then of course they hit me with the "Diagnostic" fee of $79, to make SURE it was the alternator, along with labor and tax, plus I think I threw in a oil change since I was due, and the total bill was like $400-440. Sucked. 2000 Max SE auto with 63K at the time.
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    No wonder Nissan stopped production on SkyView Roofs in February 2004.

Our 2004 Maxima is 10 months old with 5600 miles when the SkyView Roof shattered during our vacation to MA. It was a very loud thump heard from inside the car (thinking that one of my kids threw something toward the roof). But then I realized reading about other people&#146;s experiences with SkyView Roof problems.

Immediately asked my wife to slowly open the shades and see the SkyView Roof (it was totally shattered into pieces). To keep an accident from happening and glasses flying off, we decided to stop at a rest area, which was ½ mile away to see how extent the damage was. It was really bad cause it was all shattered plus it started to bulge up from the middle and pieces of glass were starting to come off. We had our car towed to the nearest Nissan dealer (30 minutes) and they arranged a glass company to put a &#147;temporary fix&#148; the next day. This &#147;temporary fix&#148; was to help us last all the way home until we get it to our local dealer to replace it under warranty.

** &#147;Temporary Fix&#148; = sucked up loose glass pieces from the shades, covered, and taped from rain, etc.; Just left whatever was intact **

NTHSA 2004 NISSAN MAXIMA (WITH "SKYVIEW GLASS-PANELED ROOF")
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/MonthlyDefects/2004/200405- - .html
    GLASS ROOF SHATTERING
    ACTION# PE04-035
    DATE OPENED 12-APR-2004

Shattered SkyView Roof pictures taken at the rest area:
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/612165/2
    I looked into it a little to find out why my alternator was covered (because I didn't argue at all to get it covered) and found out that in Canada alternators are covered under the powertrain warranty for model year 1999 to 2001 cars( http://www.nissan.ca/en/owning/vehiclecare/glossary/gl_ow_powertr- ain_warranty.html ). I am not sure why they would be covered in Canada and not in the US. My alternator died while I was on vacation 2 summers ago and the car had to be towed over 150 miles to the nearest Nissan dealer. Good thing everything was covered including the tow (roadside assistance is included with every Nissan in Canada).
    No clue how an alternator would be covered under the powertrain warranty, other than it supplies power from an electric point of view anyway. Not covered in USA though,that much I know. Mine didn't fail completely, I was getting flickering lights, dash, clock, dome, headlights, etc all would flicker simultaneously. Supposedly alternator was overcharging aka "spiking", started to dry up juice in battery. Added juice, didn't replace batt, was still within specs.
    Ya, mine did that when it started to go. The ABS light first came on and off a few times. Then it was joined by the most lights on the dash. Then the speedometer and engine speed indicator started going up and down rapidly. It looked like the car was possesed. Then the whole thing just died. My battery was also low on water and they actually replaced it. Funny how the cars would have different warranties in the two countries. The cars are identical (except for speedometers having kilometers as their main units in Canada).
  • lashleroux15lashleroux15 Member Posts: 11
    Follow up on the O2 sensor.

I decided to go ahead and replace just the sensor with my local mechanic (price difference of $150 lower than the dealer).

The weekend before I would drop it off, I popped the hood and snooped around a bit. Noticed the air filter was pretty bad so I dropped in a new one (nothing special, Walmart - Fram special for $7.50).

Drove the car to work on Monday morning the light was on. Went out for lunch and it was OFF!!! It's been off ever since. It must have reset itself because the code wasn't showing up any more. Now the air filter was dirty but not unusable that I replaced. Anyone heard of that?
    how many miles since last change
    Don't matter how many miles on air filters, matters on conditions of those miles. A couple thousand miles of dirt roads versus no dirt roads makes an enourmous difference on the filter. My folks live on a dirt road and they require air filter changes WAY more frequently than my cars do. I run a K&N and clean it myself, reusable for up to 1,000,000 miles. Then again it cost $50!
    if he drove on dirt i felt he would tell us
  • ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    my bad, please ignore the first statement on my previous post: "No wonder Nissan stopped production on SkyView Roofs in February 2004." I read it wrong on NissanNews.com

our SkyView Roof's glass replacement is fixed in 3 business days. Nissan overnight the glass to our dealer yesterday and fixed it today.

Overall, it was a superb experience!!

The dealer in MA and our local dealer have this award: "Nissan Owner First Award of Excellence".

The "temporary fix" to prevent from the weather and SkyView Roof's glass replacement pictures:
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/612165/2
  • fasterfaster Member Posts: 2
    Hi, My 01 SE has many issues that I want to take it to a service shop for checking. Mainly I want to check suspensions, tires, brakes, and steering.

Can any one recommend an honest, skillful, and competitively priced mechanic (or shop) in Northern Virginia (Fairfax)?

I am willing to drive a bit farther to get a person/shop if they meet my needs.

Thank you very much for your kind help in advance.

/Chris
  • slj930slj930 Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I just recently purchased a 2000 Maxima SE. I've had no complaints, except last month I started to hear a buzzing noice after the engine is turned off. I had someone take it to a Nissan dealer and was told that the problem was the Electronic Engine Mounts.

From searching previous chat discussions, I see this is a common problem for this model. What this mechanic said that I had a hard time with is that if the problem isn't fixed, it could cause some sort of electical or computer short. Has anyone heard of this before?

I was told that the repair would cost approximately $700 (high mileage, no longer on warranty), but if it's something that can be put off or is just a nuisance noise, obviously I'd much rather put it off for the time being. The car is performing great otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.
  • balbal Member Posts: 2
    Had the same identical experience, with no solution at the moment. Dealer tried reducing the tire pressue, no improvement. Will be asking dealer to change tires to see if that resolves issue.
  • balbal Member Posts: 2
    I noticed that you had a March posting, have you found a solution to your problem?
    Thank you all for your knowledge, suggestions, etc. My dad didn't get the Maxima, and is now looking at the Buick line, such as a Park Avenue. Found one today, a '99 Ultra with 52k, leather, moonroof, power/heated seats, all the goodies for $13k. I think it'll suit him, and mom, much better. It'll have more room and be more comfortable on trips. Thanks again!
    spray parts of the front end with water, and tighten every frame bolt you can see
  • terryharristerryharris Member Posts: 40
    Does anyone know if there is a fix from Nissan on the exploding Sky View roofs and sunroofs and also on the front end "bong" and suspension/tire vibration problems?
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Member Posts: 212
    only the skyview was exploding, not the traditional sunroof.