Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• 99max99max Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problems with my 99 SEL manual. The problem is random and hard to duplicate. Is yours auto or manual? My symtoms accure at the same RPM range as your, but if yours is auto, then it could be faulty ECU. From other Maxima owners I have heard this. I will be taking my car to a trusted mechanic and will write on the results.
  • maryt1maryt1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Maxima SE with 43,000 miles, at 39,000 miles I started having to change sensors every month, now this time its the six injector coil work at $700.00 which I refuse to do. You can not tell me all 6 are bad, yet the dealer will only do all six or nothing. I called and wrote Nissan, and nothing. I will never, never buy another Nissan product. Their customer service is a crock.
  • tylerjb1tylerjb1 Member Posts: 39
    YES! This is happening on my brand new SE, too. Not only is it constantly changing gears, but it seems to "pick" the wrong one quite frequently. Furthermore, it seems to get "stuck" on lower gears occassionally.

VERY annoying.

Thoughts?
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Yes, unfortunately, I still have my 2K GLE but not for long. I'm selling it at the end of this year and will probably get an Acura TL. I actually love the MAX....... when it is NOT IN THE SHOP !!!!! I've spent lots of $$$$$ on this thing.

In my opinion, NO ONE should have to spend ANY money on a new car for the first 5 yrs./ 50/000 mi
    other than oil, tires and battery.

I firmly believe that automotive quality, on all makes, peaked about 8-10 yrs. ago. It seems like everyone is having problems. Some Toyotas have oil sludge problems! Acura TL's have some transmission problems! VW has some ign. coil problems! Of course we are ALL familiar with Nissan's problems.

Maybe the actual problem is the internet. The information age is so quick and efficient that we hear about things instantaneously. Anyhoo, good luck with your Toyota and wish me luck with my TL.
    ( I really think it's a crap shoot )
    One other thing. I've owned nothing but NIssans for 22 yrs. The ABSOLUTE BEST cars I've EVER, EVER owned were a 86 Maxima and even better was a 94 Altima ( made in the good ole' USA ).

It goes back to what I said before. Quality and dependability are really slipping at Nissan.( and alot of other carmakers also ), and I am speaking from my WALLET.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    >Of course we are ALL familiar with Nissan's problems. <

Not me. At least, not yet (don't want to jinx myself!). I have a 2001 GLE with 45,000 trouble-free miles. So far I have only replaced tires. If you look at Edmunds consumer reviews you get lots of glowing reports. This forum is for problems so naturally we get a skewed idea of how extensive the problems are. I had a Subaru Forester that was trouble from very early on, but other seem to have had very good luck with theirs.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • woodstock2woodstock2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 96 Nissan Maxima with 130,000 miles, the problem is it starts rough only in the morning, or i guess, when its cold. Start driving it and when i stop is starts to idle low, i let it go a couple of days ago and it died, and had to restart the car, but if i keep the idle up at 1000 rpm and keep driving for about 4-5 minutes it runs fine, and will for the rest of the day, with no problems starting either. But i have found that since it has gotten colder the problem seems to last longer in the morning, sometimes worse. But now the problem occurs when i start, no real problems while driving. I have changed the spark plugs and the fuel filter, oil and oil filter have been changed recently also. I'm thinking its a valve somewhere, but not sure.
  • merdiemerdie Member Posts: 12
    We had an 04 Maxima with vibration problem, traded it for 05 Maxima thinking Nissan had solved problem. They have not, we have the same problem with the 05. What did your dealer do to resolve the problem? We have contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs but nothing resolved yet.
  • greymaxgreymax Member Posts: 7
    I hit a curb while trying to turn in the snow last week. Maybe 10 MPH. I seemed to hit with the wheel flush to the curb as I was part way into the turn, (passenger front wheel). The wheel is not bent but the steering wheel now seems a few degrees to the left while driving straight. The car does not wander much at all if I let go of the wheel and there is no shaking. Could it be that I knocked out the alignment a little? Is there a camber adjustment? Car seems fine but it's like a crooked picture on the wall, having the steering wheel a little off and I want it fixed.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • soldbysislersoldbysisler Member Posts: 4
    Here's a question for ya . . . I own a 2000 Maxima SE - tan with a tan leather interior. I'm trying to buy new floormats. Nissan has switched suppliers. Now the mats have gone from TAN to BLONDE. Blonde does not match tan!! Any suggestions where I can get replacement floormats the match the original factory mats?
  • cfatolitis2cfatolitis2 Member Posts: 1
    Have you had the same problem since they replaced your battery?? My 2001 20th anniversary Maxima SE did the same exact thing about two months ago, I had it checked out they told me to replace the battery. Everything was fine until it did the same exact thing again this past week. I was wondering if yours is a reoccuring problem too?

Any info will be helpful. Thank you...
  • lombylomby Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 Maxima SE with +60K miles. I have replaced the O2 sensor, all the coils and the fuel injection system (or at least part) in the last 18K miles or so.

Recently, my car, after taking off from a stop sign at an intersection going uphill, just cut the engine off on me! The radio, headlights, dashboard, all were still on so I knew it wasn't the altinator and I have a new battery. I started thinking about the os sensor and coils and such and was hoping that wasn't it. The car wouldn't restart so I backed it down the hill and parked. Luckily I thought to try again the next day before calling a tow truck, and Whala! It started and ran ok.

I took it immediately to a place that does diagnostic and it turned out to be the Cam Positioning Sensor. Had it replaced for $160 parts and $60 labor.

Lesson to learn: try to start your car one more time before calling a tow truck...seems to be a common theme in some of the posts I've read.
  • zimmymanzimmyman Member Posts: 2
    Nissan wanted to replace all 6 of mine for $850. The sensors cost about $63 each. I had a friend who is an auto mechanic replace the one that was bad in my 2000 Maxima GLE and it looked pretty damn easy to do. The hard part was using a device to figure out which was the bad one. BTW, the 3 in the rear are shaped different than the 3 in the front so you can't just walk in and buy one without knowing if the bad one is in the back or the front. That was 6 mths ago and now I guess another one is going bad. I have owned 5 Nissan cars, incl. 3 Maximas. Had probems with all four windows in a '92.
  • zimmymanzimmyman Member Posts: 2
    Nissan wanted to replace all 6 of mine for $850. The sensors cost about $63. I had a friend who is an auto mechanic replace the one that was bad in my 2000 Maxima GLE and it looked pretty damn easy to do. The hard part was using a device to figure out which was the bad one. BTW, the 3 in the rear are shaped different than the 3 in the front so you can't just walk in and buy one without knowing if the bad one is in the back or the front. That was 6 mths ago and now I guess another one is going bad. I have owned 5 Nissan cars, incl. 3 Maximas. Had probems with all four windows in a '92.
  • jonesatljonesatl Member Posts: 2
    Zimmyman,
    I have had quotes of $750 to $850 to replace all 6 coils. Is it easy to do? How about the plugs, are the easy to get to and change??
  • jonesatljonesatl Member Posts: 2
    hdao,
    how hard is it to replace the ignition coils and spark plugs on a 2000 max? I have been quoted $759.00 to replace 6 coils and 6 plugs but want to try it myself. are they easy to get to?
    also thanks for the ecu instrux.
  • eperqueeperque Member Posts: 4
    2000 se/ just had right cv joints/axle changed.
    now car is pulling right, and really pulls right when accelerating. Had f.e align checked, all within specs. Shop that changed right axle said all is ok and nothing they did would affect f.e align. Why is car suddenly pulling to right now. Drove on a 500 mile trip prior to cv joint change, and car was not pulling. What is the problem?

thanks.
  • mrs99maxmrs99max Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas on this one? Saturday I got in my car and it would not turn over. Had neighbor (car fanatic) check and he said it seemed as if it wasn't getting any fire or fuel but didn't know what exactly. Had car towed to repair place, dealership had no availability until Mon. They have changed the fuel pump and the cam sensor. Now waiting for ECM to come in. So far I've had to replace the O2 sensor, AC/ALT belt and tires.
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I don't know a ton, but I'm fairly sure that in order to change the plugs, the
    coils need to be disconnected from the plug, so the labor may be overlapping.
    I've read a lot about coils and I've heard they're easy, like plug and play
    connections, but the ones in back may be harder to get to. I know that's true
    for sure for the plugs. Some say a certain plug wrench is almost essential so
    you can get at them and not drop them, etc. My .02 would be to buy all the parts
    yourself. Then install what you can, like maybe the front plugs and coils. Then find an independent mechanic to do the rears, if they are that hard, and pay him for just the labor. Shop a couple and go with cheapest as it's
    an easy repair. This is just my .02 on what I'd do in this situation, but since
    I have a 2000 SE with @ 80K on it with no coil issues I'm thinking my number
    will get pulled sometime sooner rather than later. Also, if you go to a competitors forum whom I won't mention, they've got many write-ups on how to change coils yourself.
    ~Seeya
  • larry11larry11 Member Posts: 1
    This is Strange....heard a sound...that sounds like a popping ballon...several times. First time was multiple pops, then one at a time. Time interval between is anywhere from 1 minute to 30 minutes. Turned off radio and auto temp controls. Heard again...POP...POP. Stopped the car and open trunk. Leaned in trunk and CLEARLY heard from the driver rear speaker...POP. Its not a crackle..like a loose connection. Its not something hitting something else. I suspect its electrical. ANYBODY ELSE hear this. I heard a similar noise in the Murano from time to time...but it was really low and mostly unnoticeable. This is REALLY LOUD and tends to startle the driver...HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • kaboomkaboom Member Posts: 1
    Yes, I am also experiencing very similar symptoms with my brand new 2005 Maxima SL. It downshifts abruptly when slowing down to make a turn and when driving between 15 and 25 mph constantly shifts between 2nd and 3rd as if not sure what gear it is supposed to be in. Definitely not a smooth transmission. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the valve body which did not help at all. When I complained again, they said there is nothing more they can do other than call Nissan Tech to see if they have any suggestions.
  • gatormagatorma Member Posts: 2
    I just got your message from returning from the Nissan dealer this morning for the second P0420 code on my 2001 Max SE AE. I have researched and researched, so hope this helps you. First time at 43,000 miles, they reprogrammed the ECU relative to the TSB NTB00-070a. Free of charge. Seemed to run fine. Two days ago, SES light comes on at 48,000 miles, Auto Zone pulls the code again at P0420, actually two codes same P0420. Call dealer, he says maybe the reprogramming didn't take or the cat is bad and needs replaced which is still covered under above TSB and 8/80,000 warranty for cat. Take it in this morning and told, yes, reprogramming was fine, but cat is bad and they need car all day to replace cat free of charge. Don't do anything with the O2 sensor as it might be the same problem as mine. Let Nissan take care of it, but at least you have this information. Also referenced on Maxima.org website. Good news about free of charge on cat, but week ago had to replace the alternator for $400 with 47,800 miles on it. This will be my last Maxima, gave my son by 96 SE, he has 148,800 miles on it, only replaced tires on it and starter went at 128K - Needless to say, he is the one coming to pick me up for all of these dealership visits. Think I'll start looking for a low mileage 96 Max soon. Good luck - hope this helps.
  • kentarokentaro Member Posts: 1
    I am looking into the rockauto.com to buy ignition coil for my 200 max. I am wondering if any of readers have experience with them. They are about 40% less than dealer. They list nissan parts.
  • leo18leo18 Member Posts: 1
    hi, yes they are fairly easy to replace and the spark plugs are attached to the coils. The front 3 are located under the cover where you fill the oil. Unscrew the allens and lift the cover piece off. You will see all three of the coils. Unscrew the hold screw and lift the coil out. The wire connectors are a bit tricky but if you push down the front with the green arrow to the bottom, the unit should just pop off releasing the coil. The rears are behind the air induction unit. You can see the tops of them in the back. The top is a Rectangle square, black in color. Removal is the same. Release the wire connector and pull the coil off the spark plug. Any further information, email me at Onelinktwo@hotmail.com I will be happy to further assist you. I went a little crazy trying to figure this out before I got mine done. I also can help anyone shut the service light off, as can AutoZone. Just ask.
  • chassigirlchassigirl Member Posts: 1
    It is a very simple task. Use an allen wrench to remove front cover (4 screws) and two screws each on each coil pack. I recently replaced all and plugs for a little over $350. Good luck.

P.S. Use magnetic screwdriver so screws don't fall into spark plug hole.
  • rafarafa Member Posts: 35
    we have a 2001 nissan maxima se with 72,000 miles a couple a months ago it just died out wouldn't start towed it to the shop check it then they said it was the tps then they said it valve control mongul and finally said it was the ecm so order it from dealer it cost ed $900.00 replace that total bill was $2039.53. We always had nissan i also have 2004 nissan titan that I've been having problems with get back at us to see what happen maybe we have a case with nissan
  • highrollerhighroller Member Posts: 351
    Does anyone with a 1996 Nissan Maxima V6 or knows a little about this car know where the fuel filter located(if it's inside the fuel tank or outside of it and etc.)? I've tried looking in my owner's manual but they don't state anything about it. I'm hoping that the fuel filter for this car can be found just as similar as the oil filter: quick and easy access. Thanks in advance.
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    Fuel Filter
    Nissan Maxima 1993-1998 Repair Guide

The fuel filter is located in the engine compartment, next to the power brake booster.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Remove the fuel pump fuse from the fuse panel.
    Start the engine.
    After the engine stalls, try to restart the engine. If the engine will not start, the fuel pressure has been released.
    Turn the ignition switch OFF.
    Using a shop rag to absorb the excess fuel, loosen the fuel filter's hose clamps, remove the hoses and the filter. The fuel filter unclips from the bracket, allowing for easier replacement.
    Check the hoses for cracks and flexibility. Replace any hardened and/or cracked hoses.
    Install a new fuel filter in the proper direction. Usually an arrow indicates the direction of fuel flow.
    When installing fuel hose clamps, be sure to position the clamp so it is 3mm from the end of the hose.
    Install the fuel pump fuse.
    Start the engine and check for leaks. It may be necessary to crank the engine for a time to build fuel pressure, so don't be alarmed if it doesn't start immediately.
  • utjennutjenn Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Maxima (which I love) but throughout the winter the car has filled with the smell of gas everytime I turn the heat on - I have no idea what might be causing this - anyone have any suggestions??

Also, the car recently (within the past week) has started stalling out at traffic lights and intersections. After it stalls, it starts up again with no problem. It also has started surging forward while I'm driving and the RPMs shoot up and then drop back down to normal. After it does this, it typically stalls. Anyone have any advice to offer? I'm a student so a cheap, but effective solution is definitely what I need.
    FYI......if you read your warranty manual you will find that the ECM and the catalytic converter are covered for 96 months / or 80,000 mi. under the "Long Term Federal Emissions " warranty.

I hope you didn't pay for any of this !!!!!!!!!

And Yes, Nissan is having problems with Titans, Armadas, and Quests.
    You can take this with a grain of salt, but the latest CR reliability ratings for new cars actually shows Ford, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Suzuki, and Hyundai scoring higher than Nissan.

However, in defense of Nissan, I believe I saw a reliability report for cars that are 5 yrs. old and the rating was quite good. So, the above cars are better initially, but the Nissans apparently age better. I hope so !!
  • cmelt14cmelt14 Member Posts: 1
    My maxima only vibrates when the "auto" air button is turned on. When the air is off, it's fine. Could this be the air motor or fan?

Any help would be great!
  • bondeygr8bondeygr8 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    Can I set up door getting locked when I put car in gear and door getting un-locked when I put car in Parking gear? If yes, how?
    I have put my head lights in auto position, so they will switch on when its dark outside. My question is... if I unlock the doors using my key, the light flashes, the light inside the cars switches on, but not the head-light. Can I setup to switch on the headlights, when I unlock the doors using key? If yes, how?
    thanks,
    BG
  • dstl1dstl1 Member Posts: 5
    A lady friend of mine has a 96 Maxima and the starter has gone out. I've already sourced the part but I just want to make sure that their are not special tools or anything I need, or any problems to look out for. Thanks

Derrick
    Starter
    Nissan Maxima 1993-1998 Repair Guide
    REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
    On the VE30DE and VQ30DE engines, remove the air duct.
    Disconnect the starter wiring at the starter, taking note of the positions for correct installation.
    On the VE30DE engine, remove the connector brackets.
    Remove the starter-to-engine bolts ,and remove the starter from the vehicle.

To install:

Holding the starter in position, insert and tighten the attaching bolts. Be careful not overtorque the mounting bolts as this will crack the nose of the starter case.
    Install the starter wiring in the correct location.
    On the VE30DE engine, install the air duct and the connector brackets.
    Connect the negative battery cable.
    Start the engine a few times to make sure of proper operation.
  • woodstock2woodstock2 Member Posts: 4
    I own a 96 Maxima and have not had many problems at all. But recently it has had a rough start whenever i start it cold. Then for the first 4-5 minutes driving the idle will be real low and and possibly stall. It has once or twice now, but usually catches itself. Otherwise i keep the RPMs up til it is fine again. It will run fine the rest of the time. I have not taken it in yet for the fear that it is a problem i can fix myself instead of being charged for labor. Any advice as to what it could be?
    Check the air intake ducting for any cracks or other damage that could allow unmetered air to enter the engine.
  • blyonsblyons Member Posts: 3
    I have a 04 Maxima that I keep hearing a rattling
    sound on the right side,seems like it is right under the floor board.I've heard a sound something like this before in an old 71 celia and it was the tail pipe was loose.I don't expect this on my car that only has 10,500 mile on it and I purchased last March.Has anyone else ever had this problem.It is the SE model.
  • gtgraygtgray Member Posts: 22
    04 Maxs supposedly have a known strut problem. Had my front pasenger strut replaced with less than 10K miles under warranty - Nissan service knew exactly what it was - never questioned it. At the time, it sounded like a heavy bobbling or warble when driving over minor road imperfections. I have had no rattling since replaced - now at 21K miles.
  • kirkster57kirkster57 Member Posts: 7
    3M makes this plastic cleaner that may help. It comes in a variety of strenghts, so i would use the weakest stuff first. I had a problem on my '02 max's headlight covers that were cloudy from road spray and stuff and the 3M stuff cleared it right up. i is made to brighten up cloudy plastic. you can get it at most aout parts stores or try 3M's web site. good luck.
  • kirkster57kirkster57 Member Posts: 7
    I have been reading elsewhere that nissan know that transmission thing was a problem in '04 and fixed it for '05. you have got me worried. I pick up my new '05 tomorrow.
  • dstl1dstl1 Member Posts: 5
    This was exactly what I needed!
    You're welcome!
  • blyonsblyons Member Posts: 3
    Thanks gtgray for the info.I am taking my car into the dealer
    tomorrow for an oil change and I'm make an appointment & inquire about the struts.Again thanks.
  • rstephanrstephan Member Posts: 2
    I'm using a radiator out of a junkyard Maxima for another project. As I understand it, the fans on these things vary their speed from the ECM depending on vehicle speed.

Can someone give me the quick run down on the fan schematic? Each of the two fans has four wires. There is a green and black pair as well as a yellow and blue pair.

Thanks. stephan.35@osu.edu.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    In addition to the camshaft position sensor there is also a crankshaft position sensor. both are small magnetic pickup sensors with a wire. I have a 98 Maxima with about 104K miles and I haven't had any problems with these sensors yet. Sometimes damaging or pinching the sensor wire will cuase problems. The purpose of these sensors is to tell the engine computer the position of the cam and the crankshaft so the computer can properly time the ignition spark. As you know these are distributorless ignition system. So when you loose one of these sensors, the computer gets confused and the engine just dies. suggest you check you crankshaft position sensor wire to make usre it is not pinched or otherwise damaged. Crankshaft position sensor failure iwll cause engine shutdown as well.
  • brady1bunchbrady1bunch Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I am looking at buying a 2001 Maxima GLE. It is in immaculate conditon with relatively low miles, 56,000. But when I took it on loan to drive it it died on me, and prior too, it was idling funny. The dealer told me it was the ECM, or engine control module. Should this problem stop me from buying the car?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    No. But have the dealer fix it; then have it checked to make sure nothing else is wrong.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • tootonedtootoned Member Posts: 1
    You have a fuel line that is leaking.Check the line that goes to the fuel rails.This line is going to be coming out of the fuel filter.Its a big job to do,but i lucked out because of my mechanic friend.Word to the wise get it done fast because fuel is coming out everytime the car is running.I cant help with your other problem but good luck.
  • mastjmastj Member Posts: 14
    Here's the lengthy letter I'm sending to Nissan and attaching to my JD Power survey. If you don't want to read it - here's the jist .... basically I'm very disappointed with the car after owning it for only 3 months. Anyone else having similar problems???

TO: Nissan North America
    RE: Comments on 2005 Nissan Maxima SE
    VIN: 1N4BA41E35C806482

Overall: This is my first non-GM vehicle. I purchased it because of the progressive styling and reputation for durability and value. After driving the car for 3 months and 3,900 miles, I feel severely disappointed by the overall performance of the Maxima. Although the car feels structurally solid, the drivetrain doesn&#146;t feel smooth and seamless. The car has an unacceptable noise problem when driving over sand, salt and gravel and has severe paint chipping on the lower rocker panels. (See the &#147;Simply Unacceptable&#148; area) From what I can tell, it appears that the Maxima product was designed and then &#147;shipped&#148; without any real world testing, especially in the winter months in the Northern US.

Although the styling of Maxima brought me to purchase the car, it will take significant improvements in the drivetrain smoothness, interior quietness and paint durability of the car to bring me back to buy another Nissan product.

Following are my dislikes and likes of the vehicle:

Simply unacceptable:

Noise in passenger compartment from road stones, sand, salt & gravel picked up by tires and thrown onto underbody of car - Sound level of the stones hitting underbody is way too noisy, sounds like you&#146;re riding in a &#147;tin can&#148;. In a &#147;Flagship&#148; car, you shouldn&#146;t hear every pebble thrown onto the underbody. The car needs some sort of sound deadening material in the underbody area.

After 3 months/3,900 miles, the lower rocker panel is chipped and &#147;sandblasted&#148; from the sand, salt and gravel put on the road during the winter. The sand, salt & gravel have been thrown up on the rocker panels by the tires &#150; the optional splash guards have not prevented this. I have barely made two payments on the car and now I am already looking at paint chips from normal winter driving. Big disappointment!!!

Negative items:

Drivetrain:

Upon light acceleration, the engine feels weak, instable and insecure. The transmission shifts are too noticeable and the engine feels weak immediately after a shift.

Excessive upshifts/downshifts in automatic transmission. A 265hp engine should be able to climb a small northern Indiana hill without downshifting.

I&#146;m still baffled by how the Maxima&#146;s engine is rated at 265hp, when it feels like it can hardly get out of its own way. My old car, a 1998 Regal with a Supercharged 3800 engine rated at merely 240 hp has tons more power, shifts much more smoothly and idles more smoothly &#150; all at 125,000 miles. Yet my brand new &#147;flagship&#148; from Nissan is constantly sorting for the right gear, jerking in between shifts and occasionally &#147;freewheeling&#148; when downshifting

At idle, engine vibration is felt in passenger compartment. In a &#147;Flagship&#148; car, the passengers should be completely unaware of the engine running at idle.

Transmission &#147;jerks&#148; and/or &#147;pulsates&#148; at speeds below 40mph &#150; when you let off gas pedal just as transmission shifts.

Engine doesn&#146;t start on first try &#150; this has happened a dozen times or so since I&#146;ve had the car. Usually it then starts on the second try. Three times I&#146;ve had to &#147;crank&#148; engine 5 or 6 times before it started. The engine cranks ok, but doesn&#146;t either get fuel or spark &#150; it just sets and cranks. Reminds me of carbureted engines in the 80&#146;s that started hard when cold. With the Maxima, there appears to be no rhyme or reason why this occurs, sometimes the engine is warm, sometimes it is cold (these three times have occurred during winter months in Northern Indiana &#150; temperatures cooler).

Engine &#147;races&#148; to 2,500+ RPM immediately when started. Why in the world do you want the engine to start so fast when it is cold and the oil is stiff and setting in the bottom of the oil pan??? Some luxury cars such as Mercedes limit the RPM&#146;s on a cold engine.

Interior

Annoying &#147;creaking&#148; and &#147;snapping&#148; noise in lower instrument panel (near center console) &#150; should not be hearing rattles & noises at 3,900 miles.

Heated seats &#150; worthless. Why should it take 5 minutes for the heated seats to warm up? By then the engine has warmed up and the HVAC system is putting warm air into the car. GM&#146;s heated seats warm up in 30 seconds.

Steering wheel controls should be illuminated

Outside mirror controls are located in an awkward place &#150; difficult to reach and use without taking eyes off of road for an extended period of time.

It&#146;s difficult to know when the automatic headlights have turned on &#150; since the instrument cluster is illuminated all the time. Preferably, there should be an indicator light that shows when the headlights are on. There should also be a 30 second delay in the sensor so that the lights aren&#146;t turning on and off excessively (i.e. when driving under a bridge in the middle of the day)

Defroster logic. I have yet to figure out why the front windshield defroster doesn&#146;t automatically come on when the car is first started in cold weather &#150; but then after the car has been driven awhile it sometimes automatically switches on the defroster (when not needed).

Seals on bottom of doors &#150; poor design. Seal has a &#147;V&#148; channel in it that collects dirt and debris when driving. It&#146;s a real nuisance to spray out this dirt when washing the car. Seal design should be improved so that dirt doesn&#146;t collect in it.

Positive Items

Love the styling of the Maxima &#150; nice smooth flowing lines.

20 gallon gas tank, gives car a nice long driving range.

BOSE sound system sounds great!.

It&#146;s nice that Nissan allows you to choose between XM or Sirius Satellite radio based upon personal preference.

Smooth, stable ride over very rough country roads

Instrument panel is well organized and unobtrusive.

Interior is roomy and spacious, plenty of room in front seats and in backseat area.

Like the suede fabric on interior door panels & how it wraps around the instrument panel.

Like the brushed aluminum trim &#150; gives the car a refined and high tech appearance.

Previous cars:

1998 Buick Regal GS (Supercharged 3800 Engine)
    1993 Buick Regal (3800 Series I Engine)
    1990 Buick Riviera (3800 Series I Engine)
    1984 Buick Regal (Carbureted 3.8L Engine)

Contact Information:

Jerry Mast
    Email address: mastj@1stsource.com