Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• madmax6madmax6 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 96 maxima and been having problems with my check engine light. I have replaced the same O2 sensor twice within the past month and it still does not solve the problem. I keep getting the message bank one sensor one, meaning a bad O2 sensor in that bank. does anyone know what else can give me that message? even if the oxygen sensor is fine. my engine runs fine, but it spudders a little bit between 1st and 2nd gear. That darn light wont go away.
  • carman4carman4 Member Posts: 15
    I Have a 05 maxima SL I took it from NY to Florida twice I got 28 miles to the gallon on the trips highway driving but around town I get 14 to 16 miles I use high test 93 octane any one else getting this kind of mileage.I have automatic transmission.
  • blu8blu8 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 98 Maxima with 78k miles on it. I just recently purchased this car and unfortunately got into a bad accident. The car was fixed and recently the Check Engine light came on. The person I recently bought it from mentioned I might need an o2 sensor. Currently, the car shakes (or should I say engine shakes) when its in Reverse or Drive and I am experiencing VERY high rpms! Almost 6000 when going 70! Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem might be? I took it to Goodyear and they charged me $80 to read the computer. They said the problem was the Cold Air sensor but it wouldn't cause the shaking.
  • max16max16 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone direct me to a site that gives instructions on replacing spark plugs in a 2000 SE? Also, the serp. belt and power str. belt?
    I posted this message yesterday...this kind of seems similar to the problem you responded to. Can you help me?:
    I own a 98 Maxima with 78k miles on it. I just recently purchased this car and unfortunately got into a bad accident. The car was fixed and recently the Check Engine light came on. The person I recently bought it from mentioned I might need an o2 sensor. Currently, the car shakes (or should I say engine shakes) when its in Reverse or Drive and I am experiencing VERY high rpms! Almost 6000 when going 70! Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem might be? I took it to Goodyear and they charged me $80 to read the computer. They said the problem was the Cold Air sensor but it wouldn't cause the shaking.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Your 98 max - people love that year max, should be a good car, but sounds like you have a few problems. Did you get the car looked at prior to purchase?

Autozone will pull ODBII codes for free, I'm not sure if they offer more, I have my own system. There are other codes that are specific sometimes to manufacturers, and you have to buy a good scanner or pay dealer for those.

It also sounds like you are either not selecting "DRIVE" or the transmission is also having trouble.

This may be time to have the car evaluated to see how much money you want to put into it, although the miles are not very high, it could get expensive and I'm not sure how much you paid.

D
  • nissegnisseg Member Posts: 1
    The car developed a coolant leak a couple of months ago. Had to add approximately 5-6 liters of coolant over this period. Added tracer sensitive to UV (black) light into the system to try and trace leak. The dripping is visible on top of the oil pan's right front corner. The water pump pulley is above that spot. Had the car on the hoist, removed timing chain (which drives the water pump), and AC compressor and still couldn't find where the leak is coming from, even with the black light. The system was pressurized through the top of the radiator during this check.
    Has anybody experienced anything like that?
    Fortunately, I have not been experiencing the high rpm's. And I made a major mistake with the year...silly me. It is a 95 Maxima. I went to Autozone and they said they only pull codes from 96 and up. The car is still shaking a bit and I am hoping a tune up fixes this. Is it true most of the spark plugs are really hard to get to? Thanks for your response!
  • jchymesjchymes Member Posts: 1
    my SES light for my 98 max (119K) has been on steady reading knock sensor failure, ought the car with 60K on it so its time for a major tune up anyway. pep boys help me determine it may be bad coil and or spark plugs as i get some slight vibrations at certain speeds that go away when hitting the gas. Can you hook me up with the web site and guys name who can provide some coils at good prices, i've been seeing prices in the $80 range for each side. hit me on jchymes10@aol.com, thanks a lot for helpin me out, if you've heard about my problem before woudl you be so kind as to fill me in a bit. thanks again.
  • asis1976asis1976 Member Posts: 2
    I read somewhere here that there was a place where you could buy the coils for a good price. This person/place has them stocked. Does anyone have their number? Website?
  • asis1976asis1976 Member Posts: 2
    please email me at sean@lay-lo.com with any info on cheap coils.
  • blbblb Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2004 Maxima SE with 6 speed manual transmission. The transmission grinds occasionally when shifting from 1st to 2nd (when cold out). Nissan replaced transmission and new transmission also grinds. Nissan had field service rep look at it and says it is normal gear noise. I have had several Nissan manual transmission and never experienced this problem. Has anyone had problems with Maxima 6 speed transmission?
  • blackmaxxblackmaxx Member Posts: 1
    2002 se 5000 miles and had a faint hum when letting out the clutch like a throw out bearing, took the car to the dealer because it was under warrentee. they could not replicate the noise, so I drove the car for them and then they heard the hum, and then as if there was a god the clutch slipped with a ruff noise .The service called nissan and they put a new clutch plate in . 2000 miles later the hum is back , put a little grease on the throw out bearing and the noise went away for a week, back to service and a new pressure plate and a throw bearing all under 7000 miles they said, Oh we just happen too have your parts in stock --- from the last time and all I got was the friction plate, what am I stupid... traded it in for a 2005 sl automatic, A much eaeier ride less jerking around....any time a friction plate goes they should change the preasure plate cause they mate themselves,But alais they thought they would take the cheap way out.
  • fpasosfpasos Member Posts: 4
    I own a 99 maxima with 160000 miles, I had the belts replace at Goodyear. the belts squeak since then, I called Goodyear and they said I need a new Belt tensioner for an additional $130.00. they said that after certain time, it just wears out. my question, Did the dealer did something and not telling me or this is true.
    could i replace it myself?
    THank you
  • 1999maxima1999maxima Member Posts: 1
    My 99 maxima has a similar problem, even with the original plugs. When idling at a light, it gives intermittent vibration pulses. And I can feel it while sitting there. So I went to the dealer and the dealer flushed the transimission, power steering, replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the fuel induction system. BUT, the problem is still there. And even worse, the SES light on. Went to dealer again, I was told misfire detected on cyclinder 2. And coils or fuel injector may need to be replaced. I don't know if these two problems are related.From your post it seems this problem is not rare. Now I have no trust of Nissan's quality.
  • ll91ll91 Member Posts: 1
    Okay, about 4 months ago, my car stopped after the anti-lock light flashed and wouldn't start up again after 2 or 3 jumps so we figured the cold weather killed the battery so I replaced my battery. After replacing my battery(Brand New Battery) the car stops again after 2 days so I let it be for a day or 2 and started it, it stalled and when I turned the engine off-it didn't start again. So, with in a week or 2, I got the alternator and generator replaced-the alternator was a rebuilt but every else was brand new- when everything was put in place, it ran fine- until now (3 months later). The car stopped again after the anti-lock light flashed, the radio cut off- 4 jumps got me home. Everything else worked, horn, power windows, lights, seatbelts accepted for the radio. I replaced my battery for the second time(Brand New battery) I'm able to start it but car still stalls when i turn headlights on or use window... right now I take 1 post off every night so battery wouldn't drain- but does anyone know what seems to be the problem???
  • jagshocky97jagshocky97 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 maxima, 55k miles, has started to rough idle. My friend had a 96 maxima and had the same problem with his... when the engine is warmed up it wud idle at park at 800 rpm and i have no problem, but when im sitting at a light it will idle at idle at 500 rpm, sputter to 600 then drop down again and so on. Sometimes it will do it for a certain period of time and other times it will do it a couple times and stop and sit at 600. My friend found out what to do and did it to his and its fine now but it wont work for mine. I want to take it to a mechanic but dont want to get ripped and get nothing out of it. What should i do?
  • jschwarz1jschwarz1 Member Posts: 1
    I was reading through this board and saw your problem. I have a 99 Maxima and had some rattling in the back of the car also. I thought it was the spoiler but that wasn't the case. It turned out to be these two rods in the trunk that run across from one hinge to the other and are located right behind the speakers. The rods were hitting each other causing the rattling or vibration sound. I just twisted the rods so they weren't touching any more. I hope this helps.
  • phopho Member Posts: 13
    Went to dealer for wind noise on the passanger rear window.They did'nt even test drive & said there was no problem. I was so pissed. 2nd time went to dealer with the TSB#01029 & they will fix it. I still have problems on brake noise & cold engine start up noise. Of course when I complained to dealer they said it is normal sound. Anybody knows where to find all the TSB for 2003 model.
  • max13max13 Member Posts: 1
    This is really weird but when my car is idle and the head lights are on it seems to have a light knock in the engine but when i turn the lights off it seems to sound normal also when Accelerating the car is very smooth no noise also no engine lights and know stalling
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
  • jagshocky97jagshocky97 Member Posts: 2
    yea i had that problem with my max too especially since i have a sub, i just wrapped ducttape around them and it holds them together stoping the rattling
  • billt4billt4 Member Posts: 1
    I have the same seatbelt light problem in my Maxima and was wondering if you resolved your problem? If so could you let me know what it was?

Thanks

Bill
  • luvmymaxieluvmymaxie Member Posts: 16
    We think the rattling came from when we had the windows tinted. When the guy leaned on the back panel to tint the back window the pressure on that panel pushed it downward. My husband took off the back window brake light and shoved this thick padding used to make pillows down there. It no longer does it! Thank goodness! But, I will let my husband know what you said. That is interesting!
  • lorelei739lorelei739 Member Posts: 1
    I know you posted your reply a very long time ago, but I was wondering if you had anymore information on installing the antenna for the 1993 Maxima. I got the part from an ebay-er and the instructions were pretty good, but it seems the 'wire' is not long enough. Any thoughts on if this is user error or did I get ripper by the ebayer and this antenna is not for 1993 Maxima as noted. Would the antenna's be different based on the model GXE vs SXE? :confuse:
  • mastjmastj Member Posts: 14
    Carman - you don't mention how many miles are on the car. I think that can make quite a difference. I've heard that during the first 2 -3k miles some engines are not efficient in the break in period. I had that issue with a previous car (a GM 3.8L that only got about 13-15 mpg during first 2k).

However, with my '05 Max SE, the mileage seems pretty level since day one. This morning I checked the computer and it says "23.8". I reset it at 3k miles and I have about 5k on it right now. The computer seems to be right on the money - since my manual calculations usually give me somewhere between 23 & 24. It does however seem like it is improving some...

Also, my normal drive to work is mostly highway (55 - 65mph) for 15 miles and then city start stop for the last 3 or 4 miles (35 -45mph). I'm not too much of a lead foot, but I like to make good time :D
  • mastjmastj Member Posts: 14
    Anyone else have an occurance where their '04 or 05 Max becomes "overfilled" will oil?

I had an oil change at 3k miles. I swear I checked it afterwards and it was properly filled. Now, after about a month - it was about 1/2 - 1 qt overfilled. I took it back to the garage that changed the oil, they drained it - looking for coolant or the smell of gas --- not finding either. They refilled with new oil and now its stayed level for a few days.

Also, I know that some of you may think the garage just screwed up.... I'm not convinced of this.... yet. It's my brother-in-laws garage, so I have complete confidence in their abilities (please no Click & Clack jokes here!) If they said they put 4 1/4 qts in it, I believe them.

Anyone else notice that it takes less than that to fill to the "full line" when they change their oil? :confuse:
  • shureeshuree Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1990 Maxima from an individual. The day I got it I had a problem starting it. It just wouldn't start, it would try, but just wouldn't kick over. It seemed that after running it a while and then shutting it off, you would have to wait at least 20 minutes to try it again. I took it to a shop and they put a little hand held computer on it and ran some tests, but showed no problems. Ironically while he was doing this, it started EVERY time. That was yesterday. Today I took it to work, ran fine, no problems. After it had been sitting for 2 hours I went to leave and it would not start. I had to press the accelerator all the way to the floor and it eventually started. Got it home, went to take a ride this evening and same thing, all the way to floor. Once started it seems to run fine, but tonight it seemed to want to die at a stop sign. Any ideas? This whole situation seems to be getting worse and I've only had it 4 days, but car seems to be worth putting some money into. I know it has a new battery, 2 new injectors, new plugs, wires and starter. Any help will be appreciated. :cry:
  • carman4carman4 Member Posts: 15
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY i HAVE 9700 MILES ON THE CAR tOM
  • wannabewrxownewannabewrxowne Member Posts: 1
    Hey, I have a 1992 Maxima, and the car will cut out and die while I drive it, however, that is only at cruising speed, like driving on the freeway, but if I drive it hard, with my foot to the floor, it drives just fine. Anybody have this problem? Anybody know what's wrong with it?
  • jbrock718jbrock718 Member Posts: 5
    I have had the same problem, intermittently, for over a year. Every time it was a 1320. This week it had a code for misfire on cylinder 5. I ordered a replacement coil online from a Nissan parts house in NC. It appears to be owned and operated by the Nissan dealer there. I'll replace the coil over the w/e and hopefully that will be the end of it.

I drove mine with the problem for well over a year. Never noticed any problems other than the rough ride, when it was doing it. You can always clear the code by disconnecting the battery for a while, probably lose the radio presets too.

If your SES light starts blinking while driving, with this problem, then it probably detected a misfire. If that happens go to your local parts store and get them to scan for free. May have a new code that actually tells you something, I did.
  • jbrock718jbrock718 Member Posts: 5
    Try: BuyNissanParts com

Better prices than AutoZone even with shipping
  • cubsfan112cubsfan112 Member Posts: 1
    I just recently bought a 2000 Nissan Maxima and it does not have the owners manual. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to program the opener?
  • 96maximaco96maximaco Member Posts: 3
    :confuse: hey, i'm new here...bought a 96 maxima SE a year and a half ago with 126,000 on it. it's got 144,000 now and the past month it has had a problem with the engine stalling while i'm driving. usually when i slow down and come to a stop, but twice has done it while going about 40 mph. just had the fuel system cleaned a couple weeks ago. any other hints as to what is wrong? i'm leaning toward the fuel filter, i don't know when the last time it was replaced, and spark plugs maybe. ALSO, a couple times when i've tried to re-start the car, it won't even turn over. i replaced the starter a year ago, and when i reach into mess with the starter wires, that seems to fix the problem and the car starts right after. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • alphadogalphadog Member Posts: 5
    My 01 Max, is stalling out after driving about 50+/- miles.
    1st dealer thinks its the airflow meter and O2 sensors, its
    been in the shop already for 7 days!!!!
    I just called them up and the service manager said that they are
    still trying to figure out the problem.
    Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • calleagle1calleagle1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 1990 Nissan Maxima :D , I knew that it needed some work. I didn't even get it home before it sputtered and died :sick: , I changed the plugs, wires and cap and rotor but it still won't crank :cry: . I even changed out the ignition module and I put in five gallons of high octane gas and fuel treatment, thinking it might be bad gas :confuse: . But it still won't start, does anyone have any ideas or has anyone experienced this first hand, I sure could use some help. This is my only vehicle and all the dealers and shops can say is bring it in and we will fix it. I don't have that kind of money, I'm still trying to figure out the problem.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank You for your help and time with this problem.
  • 96maximaco96maximaco Member Posts: 3
    also, my tach is sticky sometimes...won't go above a certain level although the pedal is floored and i'm gunning the car...any suggestions there?
  • kanakana Member Posts: 2
    I bought my 01' Maxima 4 months ago and since then nobody can figure out the problem I have been having because it is not frequent. Sometimes (ones or twice a week) when I turn the key on to start the car, it would take about 5 seconds to start, it sounds like there is not enough fuel getting into an engine and it does not start right away. This happens after I drive the car for 1 to 2 hours and then leave it off for a long time. ALSO, sometimes after this hard startup when the car starts, I can feel vibration going underneath the car and then the rattling sound in the exhaust (also for just a few seconds). It never happened in the morning or cold morning. Dealer, my mechanic cannot find what it is???Did anybody else have this problem and had it fixed???Please, help me!!!!!!
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I had to replace my oil pan gasket on my 95 GLE at 192,xxx miles.
  • rahmanrahman Member Posts: 2
    Have a 1993 Nissan Maxima that is having intermittent stalling problems. Car starts okay in Park or neutral and when you put it into gear, either reverse or drive it stalls. Doesn't always do this and some times will run for days without any problems. Have had to dealer and they can't get it to act up. Has anyone experienced this same problem. Fuel pump seems okay and have put in new fuel filter. Does it sound like an electrical problem as some times car won't start and if you move the transmission gear shift around the car starts okay.
  • ehuckehuck Member Posts: 4
    Recently I would go to turn the key and get nothing. However, if I turn it hard the car will start right up. Could this be the ignition switch or the coils?
    I have a knocking sound in my engine when I reach about 50+ mph. It sounds like something is loose in my wheel well. I haven't had a mechanic yet figure out what it is. Has anyone else had this problem and can tell me what it possibly is?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    95-99 Maxima's used to need starter motors periodically. How many miles are on yours and to your knowledge is the starter motor still original?
    I have 130K. The starter motor could be the original. Are these expensive to replace?
  • folsomtoddfolsomtodd Member Posts: 2
    For the age of this car it's been running great! However....the check engine light in my '89 Maxima goes on and off intermittently (were talking like once every month or so). Also, VERY frequently (like 3 times per trip), the speedometer seems to stop working then start up again (I have been told this is probably a speed sensor, if anyone knows where that is located I would love to know so I can replace it). Anyway, on the infrequent occasions that the check engine light DOES go on, it coincides exactly with the speedometer not working. When the speedometer picks back up, the light goes off. I probably won't see it again for another month, but the speedometer problem is constant. What is up with that? If y'all have an answer, you are my heroes!

Thanks in advance,

Todd In Folsom CA
  • don17don17 Member Posts: 1
    Today the Nissan dealer told me that I needed a new catalytic conveter for my Maxima. It is 4 1/2 years old and has 48,000 miles. The price is $1100. Is this repair still covered under warranty or not? I see that the EPA mandates a warranty of 8 years or 80,000 miles but my state does not require yearly inspections. Am I covered or out of luck?

Don
  • woodstock2woodstock2 Member Posts: 4
    I went to Autozone and got my codes read. I got one which was P0732 2nd Gear Ratio. Not totally sure what this is. The guy recommended me taking to a transmission shop and have them check it out. Maybe do a band adjustment. I have a 96 Maixma with about 30,000 miles. If anybody has had this before, let me know what you did, or anyone with any ideas, Thanks!
  • maxie2maxie2 Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks - I've had my car to the Nissan mechanic but since the noise is intermittant, it never seems to happen when the car is in the shop. My son and I can hear a distinct whining sound...more noticeable when stopping and starting, but now seems to be more constant. Anyone had the same sound from their Max and what was it? Had the belts checked today and no luck. Thanks - Maxie2
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Nissan dealer wanted $330 for a new oem starter. Went to an electrical shop that rebuilds starters and got one for $125 plus core. One thing I remember you have to remove quite a bit of parts to get to the starter. Good luck.
    My driver's side window stop going down all the way. The window seems fine moving up and down, however, when it moves down it doesn't go down all the way. Is this a bad motor or regulator? If anyone out there has experienced this same problem, please advise.