Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dhampdhamp Member Posts: 8
    That's a really big coincidence that it started after the belts were replaced. I would start the car and do a visual inspection while it's running. If the belt is misaligned w/the pulley grooves, this will cause it to squeal as well.
  • dhampdhamp Member Posts: 8
    I had this same problem. It started suddenly this winter. I knew I needed a knock sensor (KS), but I was told my friend that works for a dealer that he was almost positive that the KS wasn't throwing the timing off that much. I took it to Autozone and got the codes read. I got one for the KS (which I already knew about) and a second for a coolant temp sensor (CTS). My friend told me that the CTS was probably telling the computer that the car is running hot when it's really not, and then the computer was shutting the car off to keep from damaging itself. So far, it hasn't happened anymore. However, I'd noticed before that it seemed to do it more when it's was very cool or cold outside. If that was part of the catalyst, then it wouldn't be doing it now. All I know is that I installed the CTS on Sunday, and I've had no problems since. Another thing to check is the base idle by letting the car run to operating temp (until the fan kicks on then back off), unplugging the throttle positioning sensor (TPS) and seeing if the car holds idle and where. If that base idle is off, it could cause the car to stall sporadically when no throttle is applied.
  • alphadogalphadog Member Posts: 5
    My 01 is at the dealership for the same problem that you just
    described. I'll let you know what they find and how much it cost.
    :
  • mevandemevande Member Posts: 190
    Hello everyone,
    I am contemplating purchasing a Maxima. Any "major" problems to look out for in current generation Maxima?

Thanks in advance!

Mike
  • neelsharmaneelsharma Member Posts: 3
    My 2003 maxima is on the second bose CD player. Nissan installed replaced the first one but this one still skips all the time, particularly in the winter. The problem reduces as the car warms up and the air inside gets drier. I thought a couple of my CDs were scratched .....but I am begining to believe that the car player is actually doing the scratching.

I am going in for my #3 player next Wednesday. Very frustrating.
    Before you purchase a new Maxima, go to www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems
    and check out any recalls and technical service bullentins.
  • indytallgirlindytallgirl Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used '99 Maxima and had the battery replaced. How do I get the security system to shut off?? I do not have a copy of the owners manual.

Help? :(
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    It is my understanding that the 8/80 Federal emissions warranty covers the cat. conv. and the ECM.......period. You should not have to pay for this yourself. imho.

Also, this is a Federal warranty.... it has nothing to do with your state !!!!

Find another dealer or , twist the arm of your current dealer. :mad:
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    I've had 4 in my 02 SE. Keep trying until they get it right.
  • 96maximaco96maximaco Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the reply...i just got it back from a shop i got referred to and he cleaned the idle control motor...seems to be working fine now too...he did say something about the coolant temp sensor when i brought it up talking, but i guess it was fine...thanks again for the time though.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Ahh, the skipping problem. My bose unit in my 02 SE has the same exact symtoms you have. I am still on my first unit and don't plan on replacing it because 1) I am out of warranty; and 2) because the replacements aren't any better. The radio is such an overpriced piece of junk. Big disappointment. Nissan failed miserably on this particular radio :lemon: . I like everything else about the car, just the radio stinks.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    Everyone has such different experiences! For me the radio/CD player is one of the best things about my Maxima ('01 GLE). It sounds great, works just fine after 4 years, and is especially appreciated after the really crappy radio we had in our last Subaru Forester.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • ralph1ralph1 Member Posts: 5
    I no longer have my max but I the same problem.
    Try this. turn the key but not enough to crank the engine. Wait about 4 seconds then continue turning the key until the engine cranks. This will allow the fuel pump to engage before the engine cranks. My tech at the dealership suggested this and it did work.
    i never got vibration but the 1-2 hour thing was always when it happened.
  • lxpatellxpatel Member Posts: 34
    Have you found a solution for this, i have a friend who has the same problem.

Alex
  • dwill_22dwill_22 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 Maxima and I have the same problem while idling at the light. It gives these jerking/vibrating motions. The problem seems to get worse when it goes 1/4 of a tank and below. My check engine light was on and the code said right O2 sensor. I had this replaced , but the problem still persists. Did you ever find out what the problem was? Does anyone know what this could be?
  • karlpiroskakarlpiroska Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just wondered if you guys could tell me where to buy an Electronic Control Module or computer for a VE30DE engine on a 1994 Max. Also, anything else I should be aware of (brands, prices, etc.).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Still Waiting :mad:

I can't believe it, my car been at the dealership since April 2nd and they
    still can't figure out the problem. I called the service advisor and he said
    a Nissan engineer is on his way. They already changed the two 02 sensors,
    air flow meter and the throttle chamber. I already called the owner of the dealership
    and now he's getting involved.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • master123master123 Member Posts: 2
    I actually bought OBD II reader on ebay for 44 dollars for japanese cars. Kept getting 1320 , never told me the exact coil that was misfiring. I just bought new coils on ebay for 260 (the ones with grey dot , indicates updated version of the coils). Also replaced the spark plugs at same time. (bought 6 NGK v power copper for 14 dollars at rs strauss auto store, didn't want to pay 7 times more for platinum ones). Now the car stoped vibrating / shaking and the light didnt come back yet. (I reset it with obd 2 reader). So far it seems 1320 most of the times means bad coils. Figuring out which one is bad takes forever ...
    (you can replace one at a time i guess and see if problem goes away or use a voltmeter somehow, they got procedure in nissan service manual for checking them but sounds too complicated). Btw It takes about 2 hours to replace 6 plugs and 6 coils , (faster if you have 10 inch extension for 10mm bolts, otherwise getting to the bolts / spark plugs in the rear is very difficult)
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    Hi,
    Haven't posted in a while. My 2000 SE now has 79K on it and so far no major stuff besides alternator and 02 sensor. Right now both side marker lights are out, the ones on the front quarter panels. I can't see how to easily replace them. Anybody done these ones? I've done both headlights before but I can't see how to get at these marker lights.

Thanks
  • frankjonesfrankjones Member Posts: 1
    my '95 turned 200,000 miles yesterday. It's never let me down, ever, and still looks great and everything works. (more than i can say for me)

That's not to say I haven't replaced a lot of things as they needed to be. I replaced the starter last fall because it would make a strange noise after cranking that indicated it wasn't letting go of the flywheel for a bit. it had made the noise for about 50,000 miles, but started to get worse.

Other than that, I'm on my third battery, 4th set of tires, change the water pump last year, and had a funny intermittent noise problem for years that was finally fixed by replacing the right front wheel bearing. The interior looks and works great (except for the stupid cupholder design). Amazingly, I've never needed change a marker or brake light! Headlamps yes, about six.

Lesson Learned: Leather upholstery is not a luxury: It's a necessity if you want your interior to hold up.

Since buying it as a young newly married guy, i've jumped several customer segments and am now expecting a third child. Any suggestions for vehicles you can put 3 kid seats (1 can be a backless booster) into and not be an SUV?
    Yes. It's called a minivan. And if you have 3 kid seats you will want one!
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    For front marker lights, you need to take a small screwdriver ( wrap a small rag around it to protect the paint ) and slide the marker lens forward ( to the front of the car ) and off. This will expose the bulb.

Same deal for a rear marker light except that you slide the lens to the rear to take it off. Btw, I believe this info is in the manual.
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot. I kept looking from the inside under the hood thinking hmmmmmmmm......

Manual, that'd been too easy.
  • merdiemerdie Member Posts: 12
    What model/year do you have and what is the major problem/complaint? We have a car that has been in the shop quite a bit also. An 05 Max. Thanks
  • rahmanrahman Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    To fix your car go and read message#1621 and you will find the solution to your problem. You need to change the AIRE MASS METER ( Aire Flow Meter).
    Good luck. :):D
  • rafarafa Member Posts: 35
    Hi we have a 2001 nissan maxima se fully loaded with 76,000 miles last night we were coming from the store on the highway and the service engine soon light came on so we took it to auto zone to check the codes and two codes came as p171 which means replace the oxygen sensor they didn't have it in stock so they reset the codes and drove it home going to drive it tomorrow and see how it feels then going to replace the sensor should i go to the dealer and buy it is it bad to drive like that and wear is the oxygen sensor located at is it difficult to replace or should i take to a pro can someone help that you :mad:
    Finally, After 28 days at the dealership I finally got the call to pick up
    my 01,Max. SE, Here's what they replaced:

1. Volume Air Flow Meter
    2. Heated Oxgen sensor
    3. Oxgen Sensor
    4. Throttle Chamber
    5. ECM

The major problem was stalling and hesitation during stop and go traffic.

WOW, big difference the car feels brand new.
    Due to length of time in the shop and getting the owner involved I got all this
    done for under a grand. The customer relations manager also had a big hand in
    this matter.
    Good place to get parts is NissanPartsCheap.com

:):):):)
  • ryanpdxryanpdx Member Posts: 1
    The "Check" light for emissions just came on. I have a 1996 Maxima 3.0 with 105,000 miles. Anyone venture to guess what the problem might be before I take it to the mechanic? I would at least like to know what the possibilities are before I enter the dance...
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    Take it to Autozone and they can pull the code if its a standard ODB-II code. These cars eat O2 sensors, that would be my guess.
  • morehpmorehp Member Posts: 30
    The majority of the times when my CEL would come on, it was an 02 sensor, although one of the times it was BOTH an O2 sensor and a knock sensor.

The 02 sensors on these cars are indeed disposible, it would seem. Good luck.
    If you consider a component that lasts over 100,000 miles to be disposable, I guess so. http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons- /emo_smiley.gif
    smile
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • suttonj01suttonj01 Member Posts: 2
    Anyone have a good guess?
    I have a 99 Max with 95k. I just failed Ma emissions testing with three error codes. I looked the code descriptions up and wondering if anyone might have an idea of what I might be looking at. I knew I might have a problem before with my service engine soon light coming on.
    p0450 - EVAP system pressure sensor or circute failure
    p1444 EVAP canister purge volume control valve or circuit fault
    p1446 - EVAP canister vent control valve closed.

Thanks for any help.
  • reddiva24reddiva24 Member Posts: 3
    Hey,
    Im currently going thru the exact same problem with my 95 Nissan MaximamGLE. Its been spitting out all my cds and says CD ERR. Its been fustrating and I was wondering if you found a solution to the problem yet or did you have to replace the cd player all together. If you did have to replace it, was it difficult? I have another cd player on hand and was wondering if it was a difficult task.
    Thanks
    You have a problem with the evaporative emissions system, that is what those codes are telling you. The systems are supposed to trap gas vapors that build up in the gas tank and if my memory is correct it routes it to either back into the tank from the canister or it gets burned in the engine, and that eliminates the unburned hydrocarbons from being released like if you had a open cup of fuel and let it evaporate.
    The reason I and others have complained about the maxima O2 sensors is that they burn up. One of mine (the car has 3 that I know of) went out when it was still under warranty, and others have had them go about every 30-40k miles. In contrast, I had a Dodge Shadow which went 140k miles and never needed it replaced. I eventually replaced it out of guilt that it was too old to work well. The fact that the VQ engine needs frequent 02 sensors is an issue, however minor it is depends on your perspective. Otherwise, my '00 has been pretty decent except for the usual issues of paint, rattles, etc.

D
  • dennis10dennis10 Member Posts: 2
    Have a 2002 maxima SE with 6-speed manual at 17,000 miles.Recently began to hear a howl or whine when the clutch pedal is about engage.Any ideas ?
  • celticvoyagercelticvoyager Member Posts: 1
    Im not sure if I have similar problems to alphadog.
    1) Car stalls at lights 2) Jerks when revs are pushed to 5000 3) seems to have lost power and accelleration. A "diagnostics" turned up nothing. Mechanic suggested I may have a fuelpump problem
    Any thoughts?
    Celticvoyager :sick: nissan maxima 2000 se manual
  • mastjmastj Member Posts: 14
    Mike:

From what I've read, there seems to be alot of problems with the '04's and '05's.

I have an '05 SE that I've had for 4 months now. I love the styling, ride quality and interior space of the Max. However, the whole drivetrain could be much smoother, especially shifts during light acceleration. The car is also very noisy over sand and salt on roads. I've also had the "hard start" problem that the dealer has been unable to fix despite several TSB's on the issue.

Its hard to judge whether the new Max has more problems than other cars, but overall, after owning Buicks for the past 14 years, the Max is a disappointment (other than styling). We'll see how it does long term.

Good luck making your decision!!!

Jerry
    mastj@1stsource.com
  • 92max192max1 Member Posts: 4
    Does your Max have a BOSE system. If so the systems from that year and the ones before that all have problems. I have a 1992 Maxima SE and mine wont play CD's period. It's a wiring problem that I haven't had the time to figure out so I'm not worried about it. Look around on the internet and see what you can find.
    If it stall's when you hit the breaks, check the Idle Air Control Motor just below the throttle body. That should solve you problem.
    Idle Air Control motor just below the throttle body. Replace it and see if it solves the problem
  • shureeshuree Member Posts: 2
    Hi folks! Gonna try this one more time. I have a 1990 Nissan Maxima. Once the car gets warm and you stop somewhere and shut it off, it won;t start again unless you hold the gas pedal all the way to the floor. I have had this to 2 different shops on diagnostics and they cant find anything. The last place said to take it to a dealer, but the nearest one is 80 miles away and today they said they couldnt do anythign since its 15 years old. This car has recently gotten 2 new fuel injectors, spark plugs and wires, fuel filter, starter & battery. I only have one more dealer to contact and they are an hour and a half away. Anone got an idea??? Thanks! :mad: :(
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    Could be the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature sensor)? If it incorrectly tells the ECM that the engine is cold, when it's actually warm, it may produce a mixture that is too rich. Holding the gas pedal down is the recommended way of starting a flooded engine. Is your Check Engine light on? It may be telling you something. If not, it's still possible for ECTS to be sending the wrong information. It's fairly easy to check with an ohmmeter, but you need to search the web (try deja.com) for that information.
    It could be that, but It almost sounds like you have a bad Idle Air Control Motor. I'm not to sure where it is on that model year, but the motors are usually under the throttle body.
  • beanctrbeanctr Member Posts: 99
    Dennis10,

I have the same problem with my 02 SE 6-Speed. I believe the problem is related to the clutch disk. You may need to get it replaced in order to eliminate the noise. I could never get my car to duplicate the noise at the dealership while it was under warranty. Now that I am at 68,000 miles, it does it much more frequently, although not enough to drive me crazy. Here's a link that explains more about the problem. http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2002/NTB02-084.htm
  • swschultswschult Member Posts: 3
    I'd tighten (or replace) the gas cap, first. We had error codes once and after the dealer had run expensive diagnostics, the culprit was determined to be a poor seal on the gas cap. So we ended up paying around $100 for a $10 gas cap. Now, when lights come on, that's the first thing we check. Another very likely possibility: you probably know that O2 sensors on this vehicle are its Achilles Heel, and we've replaced at least four on ours, and we have < 60,000 miles on it. Good luck.
  • aceman1aceman1 Member Posts: 1
    I too have a 2001 maxima se loaded with 66,000 miles. I had the SES light come on about 3 weeks ago. Thinking it was the gas cap, I waited before taking it to my dad's mechanic. Took it an he told me that one of the Bank2 sensors was lazy and too call a Nissan dealership to see if this is covered under warantee. I called 2 dealerships and one told me it might be but I'd have to bring it in. The other told me it was not covered and it would cost $350. I took it to my dad's mechanic and he replaced both of the Bank 2 sensors. One was definitly faulty and the other one was not performing to specs. He told me he had a hard time installing the Bank2 sensors since the cableing runs from the engine compartment to the catalyc converter. Got the job done for $320
  • kzakkzak Member Posts: 13
    ">I havent been able to go to a shop to have it checked out yet...I have another head unit as well...I'm not sure how difficult it is to replace, but I am not planning to do it myself...(I have 2 subs and an amp and dont want to play the wiring game... ;) ...but if I find out the problem and solution I'll be sure to post it and let you know...
  • kzakkzak Member Posts: 13
    I am still having the same problem... my car kinda shakes and vibrates... my CES light is permanently on now... it starts to flash if I go over 40 mph and the shaking gets worse... I have taken it to Tires Plus over 6 times now and they were worthless. They told me to take it to the dealer, so if you guys dont have any suggestions... I guess that's what I'll do.