Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hunter23hunter23 Member Posts: 1
    Wow...I can't believe I found this message. When I picked up my Maxima...the steering wheel vibrated....it was in the shop for 4 hours on the day of delivery...they said it was out of round tires....then I took it back with same problem at 285 miles....rotors? wouldn't tell me....just took it BACK in at 2,750, the steering wheel is vibrating between 55 and 60 mph.....they said it was rotors....it's better but I still feel it...Just sent a scathing survey into Nissan. Now I feel like I have something else concrete to suggest to the new service department. Thanks for posting..
  • lansdalelansdale Member Posts: 7
    I have about had it. I have a 93 Maxima. At first the car had a real bad idle problem. We replaced the ECM. Then the dealership told us to replace the Engine coolant temp sensor and the O2 sensor. We were told that would fix the idle and the cold start problem. Apparently Nissan doesn't know what the problem is. Has anyone fixed the cold start problem yet? Please help :confuse:
  • tpradhantpradhan Member Posts: 1
    I have a Maxima 2000 GLE. I had a SES light on and took it to the mechanic. They fixed the emission problem but when I started the car, it would not shift out of P. I never had the problem before. The mechanic used the Shift Release to take it out of P. He let the car run for some time till it was warm enough and then the shift was smooth. I tried to take back the car after 2 hours but again the same problem. The car is still with the mechanic and I am driving a rental. He says that it might be because of some dirt caught in there or something about some bush casing. I do not know what might be the problem. Has anyone experienced anything like this or does anyone have any answer to this problem? :confuse:

Thanks in advance for any help..
  • 95maxima95maxima Member Posts: 3
    I have a 95 Maxima SE. I had the starter replaced today and now the check engine light is on. It never came on before this. I filled my tank the same night my starter went, had to have it towed. Any relationship there between the gas tank being filled, the starter being replaced and the check engine light coming on?
  • army5army5 Member Posts: 3
    Re- starting problems 99 Nissan Maxima;
    Have been driving this car with no problems for quite awhile. Left it parked for 2 hours while having lunch. Came out and wouldn't start. Starter would keep turning over and over, but no start. Left the car overnight and came back the next day. Tried to start but wouldn't. Same thing, turning over but wouldn't start. Towed it to shoppe and check everthing that we knew. Couldn't find anything unusual except that there was no spark.
    Changed both crank sensors, still no spark.
    Took it to dealer. They advised to change ECM, Crank Harness, and Crank Sensors.
    They named some other sensors that possibly needed changing, estimating cost to be in the $7000 range. They did re-key the car in order to get it running, charging me $380.
    Drove the car several days, stopped for gas, went to start, same thing [no start].
    Whatever you can make of this, any help appreciated. Baffeled!!
    BENJI
  • jbitrijbitri Member Posts: 1
    I have 02 maxima and the factory alarm is driving me crazy. After I lock it it will go off spontaneously (night time and day time). One of my Xenon bulbs is about to die and it turned pink because of that. Is there any way I can adjust the alarm my self or do I have to take it at the dealer. Please send me a solution people. Thank you.
  • 93max193max1 Member Posts: 1
    I just got the oil and transmission flushed an fuel injection add to gas tank.... know it rattles when im on the brake. I took it on the beltway to burnout an as the automatic gear shift the car rattles an I smell burning... well I be geezzup!!! can u help me?
  • dahuberdahuber Member Posts: 53
    Check all of the brake lights and bulbs. Awhile back, I read that if there is a brake malfunction, it will lock the trans in Park.

When my wife's 2001 Maxima was read-ended two years ago, the back was demolished, but movable. I had to use the shift release to put it out of Park until it was fixed. The body shop hadn't heard of this either.
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Member Posts: 160
    of course that's the problem, just clean the terminal real good and then apply terminal greaze, which you can get in any auto store and retighten the terminal
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    Replacing the starter requires disconnecting of a MAF sensor and, possibly, another (intake air temp???) sensor. If they were not plugged back in, you would get the light.
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    have they over-filled your engine with oil?

have they under-filled your transmission?

take it back.
  • mikel9mikel9 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks i will give it a try.
    Have your ignition coils check, because i was having the same problem and if one is bad change all of them .
    coils may be it but you need to check your computer for error codes. Bad coils will usually produce P1320 error code. You can get codes out even if engine doesn't start. I would start with that and then post any error codes or pending error codes.
  • cheetaeyescheetaeyes Member Posts: 6
    :confuse: My 2007 bluetooth set up is craping out on me. I have had two treo devices and the both started working fine then all of a sudden they stopped. The phone shows the bluetooth signal going in a out for 2 sec intervals. This is crazy I looked around and hear that others are having issues with the bluetooth but none like mine. Pls help. I'm going to get a big ticket here in NYC if I get caught. I'm gonna make an appt with the dealership, so I'll let you's know.
  • 01maxima101maxima1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

At around 75k, the dealer indicated that my maxima needs new belts(serpentine and fan). A local mechanic(AAA certified) agreed to replace the belts at a much cheaper price than the dealer. Unfortunately now th replacement belts always make a noise when I start the car in the morning or when I start it back in the evening after work. Its a screeching noise that happens for about 5-6 seconds only at starting time(after the car has been parked for several hours) There is no other problem otherwise

I have taken the car to the local mechanic twice now...the first time he lubricated the belts, the second time, he removed them and adjusted their tension all over again....but it hasnt helped.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this ? In hindsight, I repent not getting this done by the dealer :(
    Some foreign object (besides the lube your mechanic used) on the pulleys? Maybe a cheap brand of belt? Things to check. :confuse:
    OK YOU NEED TO USE FACTORY BELT END TIDE THE BELT GOOD
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    I recently had a 30K maintenance done on my car. As a part of maintenance , I had replaced transmission oil ( though it was fine , but why not). Now my question- Dealer told me I need 5 qt, manual says nothing for auto transmission. I had 3.5 qt put in and after 2 miles its @ low. How much oil this transmission needs?
    7 and 3/4 quarts
  • rloborlobo Member Posts: 1
    Don't have a solution, unfortunately, but the same problem. Only, mine is an '02 Maxima GLE (the previous version), so looks like this is a recurring problem. Interested in hearing feedback from others.
  • siridrissiridris Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!!

I just purchased a 2006 Maxima SE, and while driving home I immediately felt the vibration in the steering...and it's not subtle, either. I took it back and they rotated the tires and tightened the rack--didnt help. Well, last week some Nissan engineers came down here to the Dallas area to investigate this specific problem. Apparently, Nissan is aware of the problem but doesnt know the fix (or want to know in fear of a recall). I'm waiting until next week when I will take in again for yet another check...seriously though, if the Japanese guys who designed the damn thing cant fix it...i have little faith in my local Nissan dealer mechanics. I am seriously thinking about starting a website to try and get Nissan to address this. My 05 Altima had vibration as well, but not as bad as the Maxima. My email address is idris.gettridge@charter.net. I'm really, really, interested in being in touch with other Maxima owners who have experienced the same thing. This is utterly unacceptable to experience in a 30 grand car...Nissan's "flagship".
  • big_jerrbig_jerr Member Posts: 3
    It sounds like your idle air control valve has gone bad. The rough idling is because the valve is not controling the airflow well. Here is an article on how to replace the idle air control valve. This was done on a 2001 nissan maxima. Hope this helps! :)http://www.freeengineinfo.com/index.php/cool_cars/2006/10/26/idle_air_control_va- lve_replacement
    wow, I think it will be too much. How is it possible that engine will use 4.5 qt and 5 speed auto 7 3/4? while flushing though I did not use any measurement but it took significantly less to flush A/T than engine oil. As far as I know too much oil is bad and that is why the most I will add is 1/2-1 qt.
    btw where did you find 7 3/4 number?
    On our 2001 Maxima, it takes 4-5 quarts when just dropping the pan-not a flush.

The best way to refill is to measure how much comes out, then refill the same amount and monitor the dipstick level.
  • luvmymaxieluvmymaxie Member Posts: 16
    My 2004 Maxima did this. It was the rotors. Someone else told me that the rotors are crap that are on the Maxima and many have replaced them with aftermarket ones. Even brakes. Go to http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/tsbsearch.cfm
    It is the national highway and transportation complaint website. There are plenty of complaints on the Maxima's.
    7 and 3/4 number is from the factory service manual for your specific model and year. Manual tranny gets 2 and 3/8 quarts for the same model and year. But, it seems like you know what you are doing there without the manual...
    Sorry , I am not quetioning your knowledge, But i did not find in the manual info on auto tranny. it only listed for manual one.
    You are probably referring to the vehicle owner's manual. That one has basic stuff only. This info is in the factory service manual (for service dealers and mechanics) in the Maintenance section (MA), page 10 (MA-10). Another reason not to go to dealers since they don't even know what's written in their own manual. Let me guess, it is the dealer who recommended the 30K miles service and insisted on tranny fluid replacemnt, right? And they didn't even know how much fluid to put in and you guys kind of agreed on 3.5 quarts? Oh well, I have heard of dealers saying that front headlights are not adjustable for a 2005 Maxima too. Putting in half the amount of tranny fluid is a bit strange though even for the dealer.

Here is something else specifically on the type of ATF fluid to use (notice the type K fluid). This is straight from the manual and I hope you added the right type of fluid:

"Using automatic transmission fluid other than Genuine NISSAN Matic K ATF will cause deterioration in driveability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty."

Hope this helps, that's what this forum is for.
    The problem was my alternator died ,it was not charging the battery.
    Thanks a lot. I did get original Nissan Oil and no I didn't do anything @ dealers except for warranty covered repairs and recalls(4). I am still upset and please help me. I was driving on highway with my wife and child in the back seat. I had my roof open. All of a sudden I hear a click and looking into my rear window see roof lining with reading lights collapsing into my child. Thank G-D my son is small and thus is riding in a rear facing seat so all it did is slightly hit him and wake him up. I went to dealers right a way ( I had to reattach it back so i can get my child out). Dealer said " Its cosmetics and is only covered up to 1 yr or 12K." who should I contact - a lawyer, NHTSA or Nissan USA? Should I get All?
  • siridrissiridris Member Posts: 3
    But how can it be the rotors if the vibration doesnt happen only when braking?
    and the battery itself is good?
  • phil234phil234 Member Posts: 5
    Hi,

I was considering a set of new tires for my Maxima. I came across the Michelin HydroEdge tires at Costco.
    However this is T rated tires (which is 2 levels below the recommended tires). Recommended tires for the 01 Maxima with Performance package is H rated.
    I have read reviews about this tires that it has good traction. I don't really care about the performance aspect as my wife is the primary driver on
    this car and she is a very conservative driver.

Other than taking a perforance hit, is there any other issues if I put the T rated tires on the Maxima?

Thanks
    T speed rating is fine but obviously better suited for a family sedan such as a corolla. Generally, for a sports sedan with its suspension and handling, anything below H is not recommended for tires which are not winter-only. I don't think your Maxima is going to feel that great with those tires. I would go with what manual says and in your case it should be H rated with at least an 89 load index. If you are concerned with safety then get a touring or all-season type tire, not high performance. I have high performance Yokohama's on my 2K Maxima with 91 load index and V speed rating. They are great and not that expensive, costed me about 70 each.
  • hollowayholloway Member Posts: 1
    I have 3 that I drive right now.'93,'94,and'00 and I think the '00 is the best one.It looks like the '03 once you change the head and tail lights but don't have the HP but with a few mods it'll be running like a wild horse.That's just my pick.
  • mattoaktreemattoaktree Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Nissan Maxima. Over a period of time a problem has been getting worse. It started when I would give it the gas to get up a hill....It seemed to 'stutter'. Progressivly getting worse. Now, even on flat roads it seems to skip a beat and the check engine light always comes on when this happens. In the past, it would be an on and off problem...Now it is everyday and the engine light never goes off anymore. I have replaced the plugs, 02 sensor, fuel filter, tranny fluid, air filter.....Any ideas? I even bought the $30 fuil cleansor from Napa with no improvement. Could it be an injector? Has anyone here had a similar problem? How did you resolve it?
    i had same issue on my old car Buick Park Avenue Ultra and I simply did a tune-up as it fixed my problem. Also check fuel pump as it might have failed. Have you ever run out of gas recently, before it started happening or had less then 1/4 of gas in a tank? Also i had to do major repairs on my cars if I used injector cleaners. Check your manual as my manual for my car (05 Maxima) specifically says not to use any cleaners. Also if you use shell gas, i heard they already have some additives.
    these sound like common issues but unlike older cars your car is equipped with an OBD2 compliant computer. That Service Engine Soon light indicates that there are error codes stored in the computer. Start resolving this problem by going to AutoZone and getting a free computer scan. When they tell you the codes then post them here and then you will have a better chance of getting a precise advise on how to fix your problem. There could be many reasons for hesitation, the stored error codes may lead you to the right solution.
  • williamm53williamm53 Member Posts: 8
    You are precisely describing the (gradually worsening) problem I had with my 2000 GLE. It will continue to get worse to the point where it will barely move. The problem was the Airflow Meter (or Mass airflow sensor). Nissan has redesigned that component. Take you car (and lots of $$) to a Nissan dealer. The ECM has to be reflashed as well. Hope that helps. Good Luck
  • williamm53williamm53 Member Posts: 8
    I've been plagued with warped front brake rotors on my 2000 Maxima since it was new. Apparently, this is a common problem...the OE rotors are simply too small...they overheat and warp. I've decided to try a set of Brembo cross-drilled rotors (OE size). My question is..what type of brake pads should I use. Does anyone have any experience with ceramic pads? Do you recommend them over standard metallic pads?
  • mj9981mj9981 Member Posts: 11
    Get factory belts. Cheap labor means cheap parts. Buy parts online at www.1staaanissanparts.com.
  • duke87nuke1duke87nuke1 Member Posts: 3
    I had the EXACT same problem with my '99 last year at around 90,000 miles. It drove me nuts becasue it was random and didn't leave any error codes for my dealer to find in my multiple trips to him over several months. I also couldn't find any information in this and other forums. It never got to the point you are at (check engine light staying on) but it was completely fixed by replacing the ignition coil in one of my cylinders. It wasn't too expensive ($275) and it has run great for another 25,000 miles. Hope this helps in time!
    bad coils usually produce an error code and without it you need a real good mechanic to determine a misfire. I wouldn't throw money at coils if you are not sure that is the problem, they are not cheap.
    mattoaktree, as you can see you are getting different suggestions from people based on their own experiences. There may be many reasons for your car stuttering, did you get the codes out of your computer, what were they?
  • mattoaktreemattoaktree Member Posts: 2
    Havn't gotten the code yet. I did stop into one of the Autozones, but the guy said he couldn't get a good connection so he couldnt read it......I think I'll attemt it again at a different Autozone over the weekend.
    Thanks to everyone for your ideas!
  • zealousagendazealousagenda Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima SE.

I recently made a disasterous error when installing a remote starter and keyless entry system. When wiring in the keyless entry, the instructions gave options for 3 types of door locks, and I wired according to the wrong option (I wired for "type C" locks, and it should have been "type B").

Symptoms: When I press the driver's window button in the driver's door, all you hear is a quiet double click coming from the switch. The motor makes no noise, and of course the window doesn't move.

Also, driver's door power locks have stopped functioning. The lock actuator is not responsive. However, if all of the doors in the car are unlocked, and I manually lock the driver's door, the other three doors will also lock automatically.

Questions: Is it possible that lock actuator and the window motor are individually fused? If so, where are the fuses for these two parts? After checking carefully, none of the fuses in the car in all fuse locations are blown. How can I be sure that the actuator and motor are definitely dead?

Also, can anyone tell me where I can find detailed instructions for removing and replacing the lock actuator and window motor in a 99 Maxima? The Haynes manual only offers generic info, and after attempting to remove the two bolts that secture the lock actuator to the door, the actuator wouldn't budge.

Your help is appreciated.
  • ct12499ct12499 Member Posts: 1
    The other day I started my 99 nissan maxima and it died. I went to start it again and it cranks but will never start up. It has spark and fuel pressure. I changed the camshaft and the crank shaft senor tests good. The coils all test good. The PCM is not grounding the injectors. They have voltage though. I read some things about the security system doing this to the car. The security light stays on when the ignition is in the on position but someone told me that if it was the security system it wouldn't have any spark. Anybody have any idea on what my problem may be? Thanks!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well if you have spark and fuel pressure and no start then logic dictates that the injectors aren't firing. Not sure what controls that process on your car, sorry.