Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    First, i would find another dealer to service your Max. I don't use the dealer for routine mx since my local ones are screwups. i have a 2003 Max and have only done oil changes, air filter changes, tire rotations and a tire replacement at 34000 miles. I am curious to know what they did to your car as part of the 22500 mile service. Major mx isn't required until a minimum of 60k miles
  • stetson1stetson1 Member Posts: 4
    Ihave 210,000 miles on it. Never had a problem with it till the other morning i went to start it and it wouldn't.Now it starts but won't stay running. It sMokes sometimes. I now replaced the battery and the distributor car and rotor, sparkplugs and wires. Also just got an oil change. But it still stalls. Does anyone know? :mad:
  • ecd1974ecd1974 Member Posts: 5
    I had some rust spots repaired under warranty last year, but now they are coming back to haunt me again. I am not looking forward to dealing with Nissan again about this issue. It took some pressuring and perseverance on my part to get the dealership and Nissan to fix the problem the first time. If you have an '04-'06 Maxima, please look inside your rear door jambs (dealer calls the area "dog legs") for these rust spots just above the plastic trim that runs along the bottom of the car.
  • carman4carman4 Member Posts: 15
    I had what they call B service $95.77.Quick etc $30.00. Fuel and oil additive $25.00. I'm going to wait for one more fill up then decide what to do after those results
  • tb4metb4me Member Posts: 41
    Wow great step by step--that guy should patent that page!!!. Thanks a bunch for your help!! :)
    Ihave 210,000 miles on it. Never had a problem with it till the other morning i went to start it and it wouldn't.Now it starts but won't stay running. It sMokes sometimes. I now replaced the battery and the distributor car and rotor, sparkplugs and wires. Also just got an oil change. But it still stalls. Does anyone know? :sick:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Altima or Maxima? You said Maxima in earlier posts. :confuse:
  • skurnyskurny Member Posts: 8
    Does anybody know how to disable / reset the check engine light? I already tried disconnecting the battery but it came back on after an hour or so. As with most 2000 Nissans it is time to replace my ignition coils, I just need to get the money together. In the mean time, I would really like to turn off the light. Any insight would be appreciated.
  • dallas75dallas75 Member Posts: 72
    You might try a place like AutoZone. One of their code readers that they will lend or hook up at the store may have a reset. If not, a place like Pep Boys can reset it for a fee, of course they will try to sell you the service to correct whatever triggered it.
    Good Luck!
    :shades:
  • blancgblancg Member Posts: 1
    When I started my '97 Maximia tonight, I heard a blaring electronic sound. It kept blaring after I turned the car off. I looked under the steering column, and discovered what looks like a speaker in a black box, held there by two screws, with a wire running towards the front of the car. The speaker is still making the blaring sound one hour later. Does anyone know if this speaker is part of the sound system (sure doesn't look like it), and does anyone have any ideas - cut the wire?
    It's an altima. sorry bout that. :blush:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    No problem - check out Altima group for the best place to post, then. :-)
  • aggiedogaggiedog Member Posts: 238
    You have two options: 1: Remove the light from behind the dash, or 2: fix the problem.

Disconnecting the battery does work but only if the problem has been fixed. Otherwise, what ever is causing that check engine light to shine will continue to do so.
  • troy4446troy4446 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 max.. I dont knwo if anyone else has this problem.. But my dirves side interior molding is comming loose from the body of the car.. i have taken it to the dealer and they popped it back in.. but 2 days later its out again..Help it's driving me crazy
  • mikel9mikel9 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Maxima SE and when the is park and idiling whenit gets warmed up it cuts off and just recently when i come to a stop the rpms drop and the car shuts off. Ive done a little research and its looking like there maybe a problem with the idle control valve.
  • ammorrossaammorrossa Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I need help and advice. My Maxima would not start suddenly about a week ago so I had it towed to a local mechanic. That mechanic couldn't figue it out so I had it towed to another mechanic, and finally I had it towed to the dealer. :sick:

After an extensive diagnosis, the Nissan dealer service rep said that the problem is that my main electrical harness had been cut and that my ECM needed to be replaced. Now prior to this current problem, my car was running fine. :P

So I'm thinking that one of the mechanics previous to the dealer cut the harness because my car probably would not run with the cut harness, right? Anyhow, I need to know my options because my dealer said that the ECM unit is $880 and the harness is $1,800, plus another few senors and with labor, my total cost would be $3,900, which I definately don't have.

What options do I have? Can I buy the ECM and harness somewhere else and have an Electrical mechanic put it in? Is this a difficult job to do? Please help! :cry:Any advice would be so appreciated! By the way, for reference, I live in Temple City, CA. Thanks so much for your help!!! :blush:
  • jorozcojorozco Member Posts: 5
    I have a 04 Nissan Maxima (36500 + miles). I have just recently noticed that there is like a rattling noise when my engine is running (idling) Anybody might have a clue what that might be?

Oh, by the way. I was told that the Nissan Maxima does not need a transmission flush.... ever. Is this true???
  • shadowfox777shadowfox777 Member Posts: 5
    Regarding the noise from under the hood. Most likely its related to the Technical Service Bulletin Nissan put out for the exhaust brackets (under the engine by the manifold).
    Here's the links:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-021.htm

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-095.htm

With the transmission flush, I would go ahead and get it done if you've never flushed the transmission in your Maxima. The manual doesn't state when to flush your transmission but most people recommend getting it done every 20- 30,000 miles.
    Ok great thanks...
  • pernaperna Member Posts: 521
    One thing with the transmission drains and refills (they don't really "flush" them anymore), is honestly this is one thing I'd have the dealership do. You have to use the specific Nissan-branded fluid, and it has to be done in a very specific way. This is not something I'd trust an independent shop with, personally.
  • stermenstermen Member Posts: 10
    I started to hear a buzzing noise after the engine is turned off on my Maxima. I searched the posts here and it sounds like the engine mount. No one ever posted a resolution to their problem and I am wondering if I need to replace it or if I can let it go. Any comments on the subject would be appreciated.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    The air bag light started flashing on my '01 GLE. Dealer says it needs a new air bag module. Have others experienced this failure? I've never had an air bag problem with other cars I have owned. Is it just something that can happen occasionally? It's somewhat expensive to repair. Up to this point I have not had to fix anything major.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    I bought Nissan tranny oil and did it @ independent shop. 12K later no issues or leaks. I do everything except recalls or warranty repairs at that shop. I trust my mechanic and he doesn't put me down with unnecessary jobs. Rattling Noise is a known issue and I agree there was a recall for it on 04 3.5 nissan cars.
  • the1426the1426 Member Posts: 11
    Hello, I recently test drove a 2003 maxima SE with 40,000 mi and an asking price of $15,500. Everything seemed OK with the vehicle, but I did notice a slight squeaking sound in the front end as I went over bumps and dips at low speed. Any idea if this is anything to worry about? Also, does anyone has any thoughts on the year/mileage price?
    Thanks!
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    2K Maxima: One or all the door locks unpredictably at times. Remote unit works well. Any ideas? Also trunk won't open with remote or button in car....need to open with key only.
  • mlhovellmlhovell Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95 maxima and just today it is giving a problem. someone said the timing chain bar broke ,does that sound right and if so is that a mazor repair? I had it jumped one time in order to get home from work, but then it went dead again.Any help you can offer would be appreciated... Thanks,
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    REF 3623
    I am the original owner of a silver 2003 max SE with 43k miles on it now. To date, zero mechanical problems. Only major expense was I did replace the [non-permissible content removed] OEM Potenza tires at 34k with Yokohamas. I have numerous (minor) interior squeaks/rattles that go away when i turn up the excellent standard stereo. Price you mention is halfway between kbb retail value of 16.4k and private party value of 14.6k Good luck; FWIW, i would check the front brake pads for wear too.
  • larryw4larryw4 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Maxima SE with automatic transmission. I usually can't move the shift lever out of Park without tripping the shift lock button with a screw driver. I have removed the center console, disabled the air bags, and sprayed the shift mechanism and solenoid with WD 40. Sometimes you can get the car out of Park in the normal way (seems to do better in warmer weather), but most times not. Any other possibility beyond replacing the solenoid ($500 part plus labor)?
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    I own 05 max, and as with most cars I noticed that if you are parked on an incline, you might have issue shifting tranny out of park. Can this be your issue?
  • the1426the1426 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the advice!
  • moshiachnowmoshiachnow Member Posts: 3
    I know it is almost 5 years later, but do you remember how the PO420 code was resolved? We are getting the same code on a 2005 Altima.
  • forumforum Member Posts: 17
    I have 1999 Nissan Maxima GLE.

During the last 1 month, the car stopped twice while driving or waiting in the traffic.

In the first occasion, the ABS light first got turned on. I turned off the car, and after a while, when I started it, I saw the ABS light going on again. Then after driving for about 15 minutes, I suddenly felt that the car did not have any driving power and I saw the airbag light got on. So, I pulled on the side of the road. Then I waited for about 15 minutes and then tried starting the car, it drove fine. I took to dealer next day and they said battery voltage was low. And they charged it and the ABS light was turned off. The dealer said, the car was otherwise in good shape and no repair is needed.

After about 15 days in the second occasion: after driving for about 20 minutes, I had to stop in long traffic in downtown and the car died again. I waited half an hour on the side of the road and the car started again. But, within 10 miles, the car again died while waiting in another traffic light. Interesting is that all the 4 lights could be turned on. But, the car would not start even after waiting for 30 min - when I tried to star it, all the dashboard lights would come on. Then I tried a jump start and the car ran fine and it is still running without any issue and I could not reproduce the failure again.

Next day, I checked battery/alternator at Autozone and they said charging system is fine. I also had a code check and that was clean too.

Then, I took my car again to the same dealer shop (no jump start was needed) and for the last 6 days it was at dealer shop; they drove it for more than 40 minutes for 2 days and could not figure out what is going on.

Service manager said, I could take the car back and if it dies next time, we can toe it there.

So, I really need the help from here as I dont want to get stranded in the middle of road.

Thanks for reading (the posting got long - I wanted to give as detail info as possible).

Ataur.
  • ecd1974ecd1974 Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone know exactly where the PCV valve is located on the '05 Maxima? I believe it is on the rear valve cover, but I looked with a flashlight cannot locate it.
  • larryw4larryw4 Member Posts: 2
    No, the situation occurs when the car is on the level. It is an intermittent thing and not associated with sitting on an incline.
    You got it. The PCV valve is on the rear valve cover. Its a PITA to get to. I haven't changed mine yet. I need to though, coming up on 40,000mi.
  • caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    I have a '97 Maxima also, with the SES light on. I've had it checked and been told it was the 1st bank 2nd O2 sensor. I've also been told that if this one is bad, then there's a posibility that those in the second bank could be bad also but the computer just shows the first error. I haven't fixed mine (it's hard to get to) but I was forced to remove my center muffler. Now my SES light only comes on if I drive further than 400 miles and then it goes back off after a couple of days. I'll get around to fixing this eventually but it doesn't seem to be affecting the cars performance at all.
    I have a 97 maxima that acts like this on cold mornings, especially when I'm parked on an incline (car is not flat). I have absolutely no idea why, but just hitting the accelerator a little and reving it up to 3k RPM's usually gets it going. I've used the FI cleaner you add to your gas tank before and it seemed to work for the most part...either that or it was just warmer the next day.
  • steevosteevo Member Posts: 389
    2005 Maxima. The windows go down if you hold down the unlock button. Is there a way to disable this feature?
    tia!
    Do you have an idea how to check the transmission fluid on the Maxima? I cant seem to find a dip stick of some sort.
    You might also check to make sure the seals on the front struts aren't blown. If they are you are running on the springs only, which could cause the squeak.
    There's a transmission dipstick to the right of the engine cover. The dipstick may have a lock you have to disengage but the posted link below should help you. Just go to pg 212 of the pdf.

2004 Maxima Owners Manual
  • car4youcar4you Member Posts: 36
    I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima. I was in an accident and the other car hit my rear driver side tire. The axle looks bent. Does anyone know how they repair and at what it would cost? I searched repair but did not see anything similar.

Thanks
  • unpdblunpdbl Member Posts: 7
    I am wondering where to get a rear caliper compressing tool. Was told Harbor Freight Tools has one for $30.00 But nowhere on their website page does it say for Nissan. Lists a ton of other makes. Also, can it be found cheaper. Maybe I am searching for this under an improper title. Already have a C-clamp. Dealer wanted over $400.00 to do the job. Yea right, no way! I got Duralast semi-metallic Gold Pads for $30.00 for a pair & Durabrand Rotors for $25.00 a piece at Autozone. I want to do the job right & it will be my first time on this particular car. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Think I have everything accept this special tool everyone is telling me to get. Thanking all in advance, Bill
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    This is not a clamp, because you don't compress the rear pistons in - you screw them in. You could use thinnose pliers in a pinch, but there's a tool. It looks like a cube that fits directly on a ratchet. On each surface of the cube there are pairs of protrusions of different form, designed to fit dimples on different calipers. I'll try to find a picture later. It shouln't be more than $10.
    In the past couple of weeks I've had some difficulty starting my 97 maxima when it's warm. At first I thought it was the starter going, because it sounded like the starter was spinning and not catching. Today, however, it started the same way and then turned over for a long time before finally firing and it didn't want to stay running. Once I got it going it ran fine. Might this be the ignition coils or something else? The car has 167,00 miles and as far as I know everything except the alternator is orginal.
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
  • unpdblunpdbl Member Posts: 7
    Phil, Just wanted to Thank you for the info & great pic. I have seen this before, so now I know what I need to get. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks again! Bill
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Has the insurance agent looked at it and given you an estimate?

Make sure there's no frame damage. On a car that old, frame damage might be grounds for calling it totalled. Happened to me with my Stanza a long time ago.

We just changed the muffler on our 2000 Maxima GLE. Over the years, we've done just about everything - changed ignition coils, oxygen sensor, etc. All said and done, it's been a great car for us and we're hoping to get 200,000 miles out of it. It's just south of 100,000 now.

With regular maintenance and fixing problems as they come up, we haven't really had any major issues.
  • asianlimoguyasianlimoguy Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Maxima. The clutch appears to slip when I floor it while driving on the freeway in 4th or 5th gear at 65 miles an hour. I had a new clutch, T.O. bearing, flywheel, and slave cylinder installed less than a year ago. At most, I have around 8500 miles on the new clutch set up. The clutch appears to work fine in 1-3 gears. Any ideas on what would cause this?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Yep you need another clutch and/or pressure plate. A bad clutch is much more likely to slip in the higher gears.