Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• challatt7challatt7 Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the input, but it didn't really answer my question. can i drive the car a short distance after replacing the o2 sensor but before the reprogram, just to get it to the dealer?
  • mopardude360mopardude360 Member Posts: 1
    Alright, I just changed the spark plugs and did a throttle body cleaning on an 03 maxima and after I put it back together the check engine light is on. Do nissans have that battery disconnection issue, I dont know. If some one could please help. Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    How did you clean the throttle body? Using throttle body cleaner, deep creep? Something that could affect the O2 sensors?

Try disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. If the problem reoccurs could be something occured during the cleaning process that's throwing off the O2 sensors.
  • kanej316kanej316 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1996 Nissan Maxima that won't start. When I put the key in the ignition and turn it all the lights come on and the stereo comes on, but when I turn the key further to start the car nothing happens. It doesn't even make any kind if noise or clicking or anything. I'm a single mom who knows nothing about cars, and I'm having to do this on my own for the first time, so any suggestions on what the possible problems could be would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.
    Sounds like your starter died.
  • kanej316kanej316 Member Posts: 2
    On the lower dash of my car underneath the lever to pop my hood there are fuses. There has been no cover on them since the day I got the car, and I am now having someone look at my car and they have requested that I find something on-line that describes what the fuses are. Again, I know nothing about cars so my apologies if I am making no sense. Anyone know how I can find information like this? I have been driving myself crazy trying to find it on-line!! Thank you for all your help!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Send me an e-mail.
  • tb4metb4me Member Posts: 41
    same here changed the plugs cleaned the uper manifold and throttle body and wa-la--engine light is on. I have been driving with it on for about 3 weeks and it went off finally. i did pull the battery cables off over night and it made no difference. Fuel economy is good so i'm just driving it.
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    I am curious; at what mileage did you change your plugs? I am just below 50k on my 03 Max SE. Today i got new rear brake pads, the first real mx i had to do except for new tires at 35k. Still a great car...
  • ckone0814ckone0814 Member Posts: 71
    05 Maxima with 105k miles. Just yesterday automatic trans started "searching" all over, no consistency, sometimes shifted down, sometimes up, tachometer would shoot up then drop down suddenly - did this while accelerating and also at consistent speeds it sounded as though the gear was too low. Problem appeared after 45 min drive in 85 degree heat so it was hot.

This morning I checked trans fluid per nissan recommendations driving car for 5-10 mins first. Fluid actually was above "hot" zone on the dipstick, even as far as where the bends in the rod are. Not sure how this can be. No fluid was added recently.

Any ideas anyone? How is the auto trans fluid cooled on this model? Thanks in advance.
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    interesting, Have you ever replaced tranny oil @ 30/60/90 k? If you did how much oil did you use? Interesing enough , though tech manual says 7.5q. for some reason 3.5 is enough according to a dipstick. After replacing , I drove 100 miles and went back to a shop and levels were fine. BTW since your car is now out of warranty( even extended one) , I suggest that you visit a tranny shop to have it checked.
  • heart2heart2 Member Posts: 38
    I can only open my trunk with the key. Push release on the remote or from in the car and can hear mechanism in trunk but it does not open. Any solutions?
  • jlee4171jlee4171 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a 1990 Maxima SE, I have replaced the battery before but never had such an issue; today I bought a new battery, after I first connected the positive cable, then the negative cable, about 30 seconds later when I tried to start the car, the alarm went off. I don't have an alarm remote so I don't know how to turn it off. I tried turning the key to ignition "on" but it did not stop the alarm. Can someone let me know how to correct this problem? (Yesterday when I tried to jump the battery, it did the same thing.) Over the years of ownership I have replaced its battery many times but never had this issue.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Regards,
    Jason
  • mo_shade_treemo_shade_tree Member Posts: 7
    There is an switch in the truck, near the bottom. The purpose of this switch is so if someone breaks your window, the still can not open the truck. If you move the switch to the opposite side, the truck will open with the remote.
  • acriss3acriss3 Member Posts: 1
    hi kanej316

I am having the same exact problem -- did you figure out what was wrong? Will you please post what the problem was or send me email.

thanks!
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    These lights keep coming on. Sometimes if I turn off the ignition, then turn it back on again, they go off and stay off. I took it to the dealer a week ago and they said it was build-up of grime on the rear wheel sensor, so they cleaned it up. A week later I am still having the same problem. They say I might have to replace the rear wheel sensor -- any idea what that should cost?

The car runs just fine so it is rather maddening. Any ideas? What bothers me is that I don't know if these systems are all functioning, but it's a problem with whatever makes the lights show up on the dash, or if the systems really are shut down whenever the lights appear.

I have an '01 GLE that up to now has been extremely trouble-free.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • swillkillswillkill Member Posts: 1
    my 2000 maxima with AT is doing a strange thing. after driving for an hour or so the trans will go neutral while driving and the engine will just rev. this happened a week ago while on the highway. i had to pull over to the side, shut off, let sit for 5 min. start back up and it was ok. it happens on and off. ive been to three auto shops who cannot figure it out.

computer scans show nothing, visual inspection of removed trans oil pan show no signs of damage. my last option is to drop the tranny and pay 700 bucks for this. just wondering if anyone has heard of had this problem?

thanks!
  • caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    I have a 97 Maxima with 182000 miles. I replaced the front CV axles this weekend and now the ABS light is on and won't go off. I disconnected the battery thinking to reset the computer but that didn't work. I'm not aware of any wires or anything that got disconnected but who know. Any thoughts or suggestions of where to look?
  • just_philjust_phil Member Posts: 86
    CV axles are different for ABS vs. non-ABS models. The ABS ones have a ring with teeth on it, which are needed for the speed sensor. My guess is that either the non-ABS axle was used, or the ABS sensor or its wires were damaged during axle installation.
    Is this ring on the passenger side axle? The new axles didn't have anything like this but the passenger side had a ring on the existing axle that we pulled off and placed on the new. I specifically ordered CV axles for the maxima with ABS.
    No, what you are referring to is a support bearing. The ABS rings should be on each side. Look at the pictures in the link, you can see it in pictures 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. The ring is silver-colored, looks like a bicycle sprocket.

click here
  • jackrabbit2jackrabbit2 Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 1984 nissan maxima that has been setting up for a year or two, When I first drove the car the trans worked fine. Now It only goes into 1st & 2nd but want go into drive.. I had the trans fluid changed and a new filter kit installed, I also installed a new modulator valve, But no changes in trans. what else can I do? Change the electronic sylanoid???
    You don't state the mileage on the car. I'm betting you're looking at an overhaul or rebuilt on that trans being that the car is 24 years old.
  • guuguu Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone know how to reset the keyless entry on a 1991 (might also help if there is a place to find an over-ride or default combination)
  • mdt_87mdt_87 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 00 nissan maxima and my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on due to my o2 sensor. 3 days later my TRAC OFF light and SLIP light came on. I used my OBD II to reset it but it came back on after about an hour of driving. Does anyone have any idea about whats going on?
  • troubledcartroubledcar Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 Nissan Maxima S and my car is experiencing the same problem. Have also taken to 3 different service providers, including dealer, and no one can solve issue. Thought it was related to bulletin posted by Nissan to replace transmission solenoid and computer. Wasted approx $1500 for that. My car only does this when it is 90 plus degrees outside and I have AC running full blast. Now checking the cooling system on car to see multiple parts are running properly. Dealer suggest that antifreeze solution should be 50/50 dilution and that if it is not it will cause car to run to hot and and thus cause transmission issues. Less expensive alternative to changing transmission but not sure it will work.
  • smith_gwsmith_gw Member Posts: 7
    Anyone have experience with the following issue. Blower for AC works normally at the highest setting, regardless if air is recirculated or not, but stops blowing at the 1,2 or 3 settings. Looking for a fix I can do myself or a rough estimate on cost. With 140,xxx+ miles, I am not looking to spend a lot on repairs. Thanks
    There's a resistor pack in the fan housing that needs to be replaced. It's about $30-40 at the dealer. Look under the glove box, and find a harness that plugs into the resistor pack. The resistor pack is held by two screws. When you get the new resistor pack, DO NOT try it on until you put it back in the housing - it's cooled by the air flow, and will quickly burn out otherwise.
  • phopho Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2003 Max.GLE. Lately I found out there is condensation on the floor mat in the back of the passanger side. I went to my machanic and found nothing wrong. But I know there is something causing the condensation.Anybody have this problem before? The condensation only found when the car was running for more than an hour. Please help, thanks.
    Sounds like the drain plug for the evaporator core is clogged.
    What is evaporator core? Where it located? Can I fix it myself? Please advise,thanks
    It's located in the dash between the a/c controls and the firewall. What you need to do is to get under the car and look in that area beneath the car for a hose that connects to it. Once you find that hose you can stick a wire into it and try to clear it. Careful if its full of water, it will dump on you.

Better yet have a mechanic look at it on you next oil change if you can wait that long.
  • 99maxima199maxima1 Member Posts: 2
    replacing the fuel pump fixed the problem. too bad the dealership had to replace it twice because they screwed up the first time.

yeah i had the engine coil problem too, unrelated to this one.
  • albabyalbaby Member Posts: 1
    My 2006 Maxima was a nice car initially. At 21,000 miles, my tire(s) went out of round. It felt tlike the tire weights had fell off. The only solution is to replace all four tires, since you can't really replace one tire. The tires were Continental rejects I think. So, I bought 4 Michelins at Costco, cost just under $900. After paying $35,000. for a car, I had expected the tires to last 40-50,000 miles at that price. Then I discovered that these tires were falling apart all over the internet. Nissan cut corners or got sold a bill of goods by Continental. Cost a whole lot in customer good will.
    Then battery died at 28,00 miles. Not a big deal, but annoying as Hell. Sears has a 5 yr. battery for $70 or so. What's wrong with the buyers? Then my radio/cd/sirius panel died at 31,000. Yes they replaced it under the warranty, but it took them a month to get the replacement from Panasonic. I was told that they had too many returns to keep up with demand. Yikes.! This is supposed to be a luxury type sedan.
    I checked the label on the Hood to be sure it's a Maxima, and not a Saturn!
  • kenstokerkenstoker Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2003 Maxima GLE. Were you able to remedy the problem by yourself or did you need to take it in? If by yourself, how did you locate it? If at a mechanic or dealer, what should I ask them to check out, so I don't have them looking for everything?
    I could not located the drain plug under the car. I went to my machanic last week & found out the AC drain was clogged. I found no more condensation for the last few days.If you can find the plug you can do it yourself or wait until next oil change.Good luck.
    I have a '97 maxima with the same issue. I've been having this problem for about 2 years now. Any luck on finding the issue? I have had none yet.
    For some reason, the AC in my 97 maxima does not blow cold air unless the car is moving at any speed greater than 35 mph. The fans are both running fine, the coolent level is good and the a/c refridgerant is fully charged. Any thoughts on why the car has to be moving to get cool air out of the a/c?
  • laurislauris Member Posts: 7
    Last week my 99 Maxima with 110,000 miles had all spark plugs and the #3 and #6 ignition coils replaced. It drove 95% better then within 2 days it was back to its old poor intermittant acceleration and knocking in idle mode. Yesterday, the SES light came on.

I suppose the remaining 4 coils will need replaced? Hope to have a family member do this as my garage charged me $155 for one coil, excluding labor. Dropped almost $500 including scanner test + labor. :(

My other thought is maybe an O2 sensor is dying. Suppose Pep Boys or Auto Zone could figure that out for a few bucks?

Does anyone know the location placement of #3 and #6 coils? Thanks.

I guess too changing the transmission fluid and fuel filter may help.
    After 9 years $500 is cheap in terms of maintenance costs. On top of what you mentioned, you should also clean and/or replace the IAC, the TPS, and the PCV.
    Yes, $500 + $1000 earlier this year for a new A/C compressor and dryer is cheap overall for maintenance costs, I agree. I've been very satisfied with the performance of my car overall. In fact, with upcoming replacements, I plan to hold on to it for hopefully, another 50-100K.

My husband hooked up the computer and found a code indicating the knock sensor. Would make sense why it's hesitating upon acceleration.

Can a DYIer replace the IAC, TPS and PCV? Would either of these require a lift?
    You have to be careful with codes. They DON'T tell you, in fact, what the defective component is (no computer is that good yet). What they tell you is which circuit or system is unhappy.
    Yes, these can be done by a DIYourselfer and be picked up at any autoparts store. It's basic parts (small) that can be changed while leaning over the engine compartment sort of like changing spark plugs.

BTW, have you seen the 2009 Maxima since it's your 10th anniversary?

So then it's a shot in the dark. Replace the knock sensor and see what happens.

I suppose that even the computer a garage uses is not 100% accurate? It's more based on speculation? Which may be why my garage last week diagnosed two bad ignition coils, replaced them, but there are still problems.
    Thanks. I think this can be resolved by a DIYer family member.

Thanks for the photo! Are you trying to entice me?! LOL Sure it screams on the highway!
    It's not speculation if the shop does the correct "diagnostic tree" once they have the code.

By that I mean a methodical "test this for X. If not X, then go to THAT. Test THAT for Y, if not Y, then go THERE" Etc. Etc.

If a shop is guessing with your checkbook and just throwing parts at the car, by all means try another. There is no reason why a top-flight mechanic has to guess if it's your knock sensor or not. He can test it, especially if he has the manuals or if he subscribes to sites like ALLDATA, etc.

The computer puts you on the right track to be sure but a machine is only as good as the person operating it.
  • nemesis04nemesis04 Member Posts: 15
    You should change all the coils. Also, change the air flow sensor depending on the unit the computer may need to be updated.
    Thanks! Having not looked at the manual, is the air flow sensor easy to change?

Is this common for most Maxima's with these miles (110,000)?

Do other makes, such as Honda and Toyota, require this amount of maintenance? Curious.
  • nemesis04nemesis04 Member Posts: 15
    They are pretty easy to change. When my 2001 Maxima hit 100k I changed all the coils and the air flow sensor because the check light kept on coming on. After the change, the car had its old spunk back and the light never came back on again.
  • rsavillersaville Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 nissan maxima. Recently both the 12-volt power outlets have went out in the vehicle. all other electical systems are working fine. any suggestions on what the issue may be?