Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nemesis04nemesis04 Member Posts: 15
    Have you checked the fuses?
  • tmb5894tmb5894 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima that the A/C blower fan quit working. All fuses are ok and the fan switch shows the fan speed advancing but no air flow. Any help with whats wrong?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    The fan might be controlled by a relay. You might check your owner's manual to identify which relay this is. If you are clever with electrics you might pop the switch out and by-pass it and see what happens.

You might also try this with the engine off-- perhaps the fan is only working on low speed and you can't hear it with the car running. That would indicate then that the resistor controlling fan speed is the problem.
  • galka5galka5 Member Posts: 5
    Oceanblue, I think i have the same problem with my Maxima ' 97. After stopping on a traffic light, when light changes to green and I take my foot from the brake and put it on gas the car either shuts down or it feels like it doesn’t want to go on the first gear, no matter how hard I push the pedal. If it shuts down, it usually restarts in about 20 seconds. It happens few times a day, not all the time.
    Mechanics are unable to determine the problem and i already spent $500 on same things you did.
    Don't know what to do anymore.
    I think i have the same problem with my Maxima ' 97. After stopping on a traffic light, when light changes to green and I take my foot from the brake and put it on gas the car either shuts down or it feels like it doesn’t want to go on the first gear, no matter how hard I push the pedal. If it shuts down, it usually restarts in about 20 seconds. It happens few times a day, not all the time.
    Mechanics are unable to determine the problem and i already spent $500 on same things you did.
    Don't know what to do anymore.
  • smith_gwsmith_gw Member Posts: 7
    I had a similar problem with my 98 SE. When accelerating from a stop position, the car would jerk and not want to go. It was almost the same feeling as if the clutch was let out too fast on a manual transmission. My car was diagnosed by our mechanic as needing a new mass air flow sensor. This was replaced (total cost was around $450-$500) and the issue hasn't occurred since.

Good luck.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    It's either the mass air flow sensor or the throttle position sensor.
    Thank you so much
  • jorghijorghi Member Posts: 3
    Not to worry. After a spark plug replacement, you will get codes because you disconnected a bunch of wires. Just reset the codes ( or have them reset at a place like AutoZone) . In a couple of weeks the engine computer will collect enough data and you can pass inspection etc.. will be A-Ok.
  • jorghijorghi Member Posts: 3
    If this is a stick shift, make sure you are pushing the clutch pedal all the way down.
  • ashmaxashmax Member Posts: 1
    I took my maxima in for an inspection and it did not pass due to the service engine light being on. The mechanic said 3 fault codes popped up which were: P0110, P0325, and P0100.
    A friend said my O2 sensor might need to be changed and it would correct all those codes.
    If anyone knows anything further on this and know how much $$$ this might end up costing me please give me some input!

Thank you!
    P0325 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction (Bank I or Single Sensor)
    P0100 Mass or Volume Air Flow Circuit Malfunction
    P0110 IAT Circuit Malfunction

You need to replace a knock sensor on bank 1, MAF, Intake Air Temperature is usually a function of the MAF so I'd replace the MAF and check it from there.

BTW, I don't see anything relating to the O@ sensors. So how did your friend figure this out?
    computer codes don't identify the defective component. All they can do is tell you the system, circuit or component that is currently unhappy. As to WHY it's unhappy, that requires further hands-on diagnostics. The MAF can be tested and that's an excellent place to start.
  • 99max299max2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 maxima, its been a great vehicle for its 240k. after the 1st 100k i made the stalling go away with O2, plugs, coils, mass air flow being replaced, even at 190 when it returned i replaced O2 plugs, coil and mass air flow. but it isnt going away. for a day it will run fine then slowly start back.
    It boggs down when first taking off. Then as it warms up it becomes more pronounced. Soon even when running at higher speeds the RPMs drop. At this point it wont idle in park and can become very hard to start again.
    I never have replaced the Idle air control valve. Thats my next step. any other sugestions ? I dont wont to get rid of it. The engine and transmission and appearance are stll very good. But when after bringing it to Nissan and they could not ID it I am very discouraged.
    When was the last time you changed out the catalytic converters? Those will definitely plug after awhile. While you should get a check engine light when they go bad, sometimes you don't.
  • 99max299max2 Member Posts: 2
    I have not replaced and the dealership has not suggested that on this problem. My emissions inspection passes very well. Maybe it has lasted so long because i only use bp premium. Thank you for your reply and i will check converters too.
  • rexkayrexkay Member Posts: 1
    On my 96 the map sensor was heat sensitive and gave me problems as the day got hotter. After coils, plugs, and maf , I wrapped the map sensor with a rag and duck taped it. Ran great when kept cool so I replaced it and problem was solved. If it is running really bad pull a couple plugs and if they are fouled I bet it is the map sensor.
  • haroldsjsharoldsjs Member Posts: 8
    November 22 was the first full very cold day, in the Northeastern NJ area (suburb of NYC). I found that when I started my 2001 Maxima GLE, the steering seemed to be locked. I could turn the wheel, but it was as if the car was in neutral with the engine off.

This is happening while the car is stopped in drive or when it is in park. When I depress the accelerator while in drive to move the car, the steering returns to almost normal function (still has a bit of sluggishness). After letting the car warm for a while the steering almost returns to normal, with the exception that when turning the wheel to the furthest extreme of the turning radius, I feel the wheel giving jerking resistance to the car being turned.

I checked the power steering fluid level, and it is between the cold maximum and cold minimum levels. Is this the power steering pump? Could there be moisture in the power steering fluid, which has frozen?? Or could air in the power steering fluid lines cause this? What is casing this problem?
  • vw2dracervw2dracer Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2.5 inch header and a 21/4 short pipe with glass pack on this car. I has a bad miss. It only does it on startup. It stops as you drive it. But at low rpm it does it. Driving down the road, in overdrive it does it. I thought that the short pipe would cause this, being that the o2 is not holding heat. I'm lost and would love some advice. Like I said it comes and goes.
    Are you running double gaskets where the header meets the exhaust? Depending on the manufacturer of the headers there might be a small gap that a second gasket would eliminate.
  • vw2dracervw2dracer Member Posts: 4
    I'm not running double gaskets, but the hearder connection is a O gasket. The only other ones is the head to header gasket. The manu. is pace setr. I didn't do the work. My best friend did, and it is WELL done. I put plugs and wires on it today. Runs SO much better. I had some info that was not told to me... :P
  • Sobr609Sobr609 Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2000 maxima gle, 99k had the car since it was brand new. past 6 months it has been having problems starting. i recently burnt out my starter, once started runs great! so i just replaced starter and in past year replaced alll ignition coils, battery, alternator, plugs, tensioner, etc.. anyway the dealership told me it was becasue of corrosion in between the motor and tranny..lol yeh right, he said becasue i use to live in new jersey that the salt from the snow corroded it up. never heard of that ever! they want to charge 3,400$ to clean it out! im not dumb, whenever it try's to start you have to give it gas and more gas. if i turn the key on and off like 5 times and start it up it starts perfect! please help?
  • haroldsjsharoldsjs Member Posts: 8
    I am looking into doing my first tune up in many years. My car is a 2001 Nissan Maxima. I am told that there are many different types of plugs for this car. They range in cost from $3.99/each to more than $11.99/each. They go by names that include; Iridium, Platinum and the like. I was told by a sales person that the fancy more costly ones have a hotter spark.

My knowledge of how plugs and combustion work is; that the plug fires at the maximum fuel/air compression level to get the most power from the combustion.

Does the heat of the spark make a difference? Isn't it true, that once the minimum flash point of the spark necessary is achieved for detonation to takes place, any heat (energy) over and above that flash point, necessary to cause detonation of the fuel/air mixture is superfluous?

If my understanding is true, then spending more money on expensive plugs, is waistful. Please tell me what the real deal is. :confuse:
  • guuguu Member Posts: 10
    wash both ends of your battery cables with baking soda paste, or classic coke
    cheaper plugs will tend to not spark more often
  • lauren15lauren15 Member Posts: 10
    My '01 has about 80,000 miles. Recently I have had a problem with my car not accerlating when I step on the gas. It starts fine, runs well, and then it will sound like it is staying in a low gear and not shifting up. The tachyometer revs up to 4 or 5 but the speedometer stays only about 20 mph no matter whether I step on the gas or not. After pulling the car over "to rest" it has started up and ran fine after about 20 to 30 minutes. This has happened three times in the past month or so. The engine just seems unable to develop and/or sustain power.

My local mechanic put it on a diagonstic and said it was not transmission related. I am reluctant to take it to the dealer because the car ran fine for my mechanic when I brought it to him.

Any thoughts much appreciated!
    My '01 has about 80,000 miles. Recently I have had a problem with my car not accerlating when I step on the gas. It starts fine, runs well, and then it will sound like it is staying in a low gear and not shifting up. The tachyometer revs up to 4 or 5 but the speedometer stays only about 20 mph no matter whether I step on the gas or not. After pulling the car over "to rest" it has started up and ran fine after about 20 to 30 minutes. This has happened three times in the past month or so. The engine just seems unable to develop and/or sustain power.

My local mechanic put it on a diagonstic and said it was not transmission related. I am reluctant to take it to the dealer because the car ran fine for my mechanic when I brought it to him.

Any thoughts much appreciated!
    In order for the diagnostic to work there has to be a current problem or a flag. A good mechanic would know this. Did you tell him what you told us? It sounds like a tranny or torque converter problem to Me and it sounds like you know it too but your drive line should be more durable than that unless you are very hard on it.
    Thank so much, but how would I know if I am hard on my "drive line?" Yes, I did
    tell him exactly what I told you. He said that I needed to bring it in WHEN
    it was having the problem. He's usually a super mechanic so I don't understand why he wouldn't know what you stated. Oh well, I'm getting ready to drive up to
    Melbourne to pick up my mom tomorrow and hoping I don't have any problems!
  • kzakkzak Member Posts: 13
    I have a big problem. My CV Joints were bad so I took my car to my stepdad's mechanic, and had them replaced. Now they are worse than before... They "knock" almost every time I turn and "knock" majorly when I go over speedbumps or any kind of bump. It sounds horrible like my car is gonna fall apart! My boyfriend thinks they might not have been greased when replaced. PLEASE help, I have no idea when it comes to cars! :cry: thanks for any input
    Sounds like a mis-diagnosis of the original problem. A CV joint usually knocks when turning the car while under power, not when going over a speedbump with your foot let off the gas.

You'd better get under there and figure out what's really wrong.
    Take it back to the shop and tell them you want it fixed. And find out who the idiot that made the initial diagnosis cause he will probably have to handle the "come back" job that you're going to dump on him. Stepdad's mechanic eh? After a test drive, did they even do one? You have to wonder what they were thinking when it sounds worse than when you brought it in.

So if they don't believe you, or try to blow you off, take them on a test drive, in fact, insist on it. Then ask them if they have your original parts that had nothing wrong with them. You have to be forceful but not obnoxious when presenting your case.
  • kzakkzak Member Posts: 13
    I have the same problem with my 2000 max se. When i took it to the dealer for ignition coil replacement, they noticed and said theyd fix it. Even after they "fixed" it, it is still sticking out :confuse: .... also open to suggestion on how to fix??
  • meister4Umeister4U Member Posts: 7
    Kzak-First I hope you have your receipt. Always save your receipts for future proof of work done! That will itemize exactly what was done to your car. If you take it somewhere else, and they tell you it was not replaced, the you have proof. You might want to go to another mechanic to make sure they were. Were the axles changed with the CV joint unit? (This would be done by most experienced mechanics). How many miles have you driven since the repair? Try to determine which side the noise comes from. It should not be both sides if they were both replaced.
    It is very possible it is the wheel bearings on one of the sides and not the CV joint at all. You can check your wheel bearing by jacking up the front end, (have your boyfriend do this). Wiggle the front wheels left to right and up and down to figure out if there is excessive play. If the wheel bearing is bad, it will appear to be loose even though the wheel is on tight. This is a big possibility when you go over bumps and get a lot of noise when you turn, that a wheel bearing nut can be loose. I would take it back and specifically tell them it was suggested to you that they check and tighten the wheel bearing nuts if necessary.
  • aamu_allenboiaamu_allenboi Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE and I have notice when the weather starts to turn cold the Cd player skips unbareably. When the car warmed up, it usually would start playing fine but now it doesn't. I have brand new cd's and it still skips. I have cleaned it and it still skips. I even tried calling the dealership to see if there was ever a recall on the cd player for the issue and they told me no and of course its not under warranty any more so that gave me the option of buying and replacing it for 430.00! So if you have had the similar problem or have fixed yours PLEASE let me know i'm a college student and 400.00 don't come easy!
  • dx1hfdx1hf Member Posts: 4
    Need help from the group on this surprising diagnosis. The car has 94,000 miles on it and I purchased it used from a Toyota dealer about 1 year ago. The service engine light came on after about 6 months of driving it but the car was running fine otherwise. I took it to the local Nissan dealer for diagnosis and they say both catalyst converters and 2 oxygen sensors are gone for a total of $2865. Is this normal for the 2001 Maxima SE? What causes this ...hard driving? Also, when I asked the Nissan dealer if they could just replace the 2 oxygen sensors and then clear the codes they said...well there are really 4 oxygen sensors that we would have to replace (the number went form 2 to 4 ?? I don't get it). Please help if you can.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I had a 2003 Maxima SE and had to have my O2 sensors replaced after the Check Engine light came on. Luckily for me, it was still under warranty at the time (makes you wonder when a part like this fails at the 20k mileage point). Perhaps a common point of failure?
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    I have an '01 and haven't replaced any of those things. If the car is running fine, I would just ignore the codes. I would think that if the sensor were bad the car would not be running well.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    I have 01 Infiniti I 30...essentially same car.

The Check engine light comes on very easily on these.
    Disconnect the battery cable and leave it overnight. It will reset the computer.

Filling the gas on a hot day and not closing the cap properly can also cause this.
  • dx1hfdx1hf Member Posts: 4
    Thanks to all who have responded so far. I did the battery disconnect a couple months ago but the issue keeps coming back. The dealer says the ECU is posting P0420 and P0430 errors. The ECU was flashed in 2002 so it has the latest code with the fix for NTB00-070a (Service Bulletin to address computer incorrectly posting P0420 code). I checked with a 3rd party shop...and they say they can most likely get the code to clear by replacing the front converter assembly for $965.00 (price includes all fees, labor etc.). They say most of the time this repair will clear the codes without replacing any O2 sensors. However, they advise to do the front converter assembly repair, reset the computer, and drive it for awhile ...if a service code comes back then look into replacing the applicable O2 sensor. But Nissan dealer says if your going to replace Catalyst parts to clear the codes then they strongly recommend replacing the entire system (front cat...back cat ...and 2 Oxygen sensors for $2865.00 -includes 1 free coffee and a complimentary lobotomy). LOL I think I'll try the 3rd party solution unless anyone has any other proven repair strategies .... but it seems like, generally speaking, you just don't get enough information out of the ECU codes to guarantee a fix -unless, as the dealer states...replace the entire system :-( Otherwise a great car that I would love to keep.
  • TtscrewTtscrew Member Posts: 3
    02 sensors are not a common failure on this model. The P0420 & P0430 are catalyst failures not 02 sensors failures. Ignoring a P0420 & P0430 can cause engine failure.
  • vu2000vu2000 Member Posts: 58
    I just bought a used 2007 Maxima SL with 76,500 miles. The oil has been changed every 7500 miles per manual. Tires were just changed at 71K. The owner tells me the brakes were done at 50K. The air filter was changed per factory specs. My question is does the CVT fluid and radiator coolant need to be changed anytime soon. Also, does any other maintenance need to be done. Thanks for any reply.
  • krissi104krissi104 Member Posts: 1
    I seem to have the faulty ignition coil problem with my 2001 Maxima. My mechanic said that I should bring it to Nissan since they can figure out which coil it is so I would not have to replace all 6. I called Nissan and they said I should replace all 6 because if one is bad they are all going to go bad, etc. After some internet research and fidning this thread I see this is an ongoing problem with this car.

My husband wants to change the coils himself but I am not sure which ones to purchase or where to purchase them from? Can anyone help me with this? Also, is there a step by step guide he could follow? He is pretty good with cars but has never done a coil replacement before.

Thanks for any help you could give me!
    Try rockauto.com, they have the parts you are looking for. The coil cost from $52 to $66 each depending on if it is the front or rear coil(3 front, 3 rear). I have ordered several items for my 07 Prius, and I am now looking to order other parts for my 07 Maxima. Their prices are very reasonable.
    How do you figure out its ignition coils?
    I have 2000 Infiniti I30...essentially same car.

Twice it hesitated in starting
    Yesterday morning when I was taking it out of the garage..gear in reverse the engine idled rough. Service engine soon, SLIP, and TCS off light went on.

Turned the car off.
    Started it again SLIP & TCS off light went away
    Service Engine Soon light is still on. Any suggestions?

Thanks for help
    Sanjay
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    Its not required to change, but if i were you I would change coolant and find out from previous owner if they changes @ 30k/60 k their transmission OIL
    No, the transmission fluid wad not changed. I guess I better get it changed. The owners manual was not too clear about this subject. Thanks.
  • pg2pg2 Member Posts: 3
    Replacing all 6 ignition coils is very expensive and bull---t ! To find out which one is bad try this. With the engine not running remove one plug wire from the plug and then start the car up to see if the engine runs rougher. If it does that means this cylinder is running ok. Repeat this on each cylinder until you get a cylinder that does not run rougher. This will be the cylinder that has the bad coil. The coil is connected to the top of the plug. Remove it and go to Auto Zone and buy a new one. This is what I did on my 2000 maxima last year and it's still running like new. Total cost about $60.00. :)
    Try infinitipartsusa.com for OEM ignition coils. They are about $75.00 each. I recently bought 6 ignition coils and spark plugs for 514 delivered. Will change the coils tomorrow.

2001 I30 and maxima are identical cars.
    Another source is courtesy nissan for OEM coils.

The process of changing it is very simple. Details can be found at

link title

and

link title

If you are interested in complete service manual they can be downloaded from

link title

best of luck
  • maxman7maxman7 Member Posts: 10
    I recently purchased a 04 maxima with high mileage. The car has been taken great care of, with very good service records. all highway miles. It runs and drives awesome but it has a leak. The leak is in the oil pan and oil cooler area, it is migrating all in that area, onto the control arm and up near the pullies. Here is the thing I cant figure out if it is oil or power steering fluid, I cant detect any loss on the dipstick,but when I turn the steering sharp it makes a little groaning sound. I have heard the o-ring on the oil cooler is something that goes alot on this model. I really need to identify what is leaking cause I dont have much faith in honest mechanics in My town.Also cause it is saturating some of the sensors in that area.My other problem is a driver side headlight, It is equipped with the HID lights, during driving it starts flickering and goes out,but turn the lights off and back on and it fires back up, ballast or bulb? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. thanks