Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    various names----I call them "splash shields" and that's really what they are for.
  • abumulla11abumulla11 Member Posts: 2
    hello
    i've a problem with my 1997 maxima. the problem is that the car SOMETIMES turns off while driving or when shifting the transmission to "D", knowing that the transmission is automatic. the rpm goes up and down until the engine turns off. as i just mentioned the problem happens SOMETIMES and sometimes the car works properly without any problems regardless of the speed.
    i took the car to some workshops and they told me to change the following parts: fuel filter, fuel pump, spark plugs and air filter. i changed all these parts but the problem still exists. the car was checked by computer and the result was "system normal". last thing to mention is that check engine light is turned off.
    i'm waiting for your response
  • lauren15lauren15 Member Posts: 10
    My car, a Maxima 2001 with nearly 100,000 miles does a similar thing. While it doesn't STOP, as in turns off or doesn't move, it does something peculiar. No one knows why or what it is.

The car will be driving fine, then I'll come to a red light and stop, or sometimes, just need to drive slower say from 65-70 down to 25-30, and when I step on the gas to accerlerate the car will move, but not shift up through the various gears! The rpms rev up and down, the engine makes a funny sound, the car moves, slowly and I end up mostly coasting until I can find a safe place to stop. After about 30 minutes, the car will usually be fine. I drive it quite often, with no trouble whatsoever. To work, around to friends, around town - it doesn't seem to like highway driving. It's been doing it on and off for a year.

My mechanic has tested it and cannot find anything wrong. Diagnostic testing, driving it, and other stuff. I don't what to spend a fortune on a new transmission if that's not the problem. I too, would love an expert response! Any thoughts, clues, hapless statements appreciated!
  • abumulla11abumulla11 Member Posts: 2
    thanks lauren,
    i appreciate your comment, but it seems that we both have invisible problems which might be easy when it is discovered.
    may god help us to find a solution for our cars problems
  • 530ir1150r530ir1150r Member Posts: 263
    Are the spark plugs original? If so change them.

Has the transmission fluid been changed? If not, flush with new synthetic fluid.

How old are the air and fuel filters? Change the air if older than 25k miles and fuel if older than 50k miles.

If these do not work I suspect there is a problem with one of the sensors that tell the computer to tell the transmission to shift gears.
  • biancarbiancar Member Posts: 965
    Is anyone posting here in the Northern Virginia area? I've got a 2000 Maxima GLE that someone backed into while it was parked. Trunk lid is smashed, bumper severely scratched, and tail light broken.

I bought it from Mike Pallone Nissan, but he is out of the Nissan business now. Usually take it to Sheehy for maintenance (they took over Pallone's Nissan business) but they don't do body work.

I want to get an estimate on repairs before deciding if I should fix it or sell it. Any suggestions?
  • caugncaugn Member Posts: 29
    1997 maxima gle with 201k miles. shifting is smooth however the engine will rev to 5-6k rpms before shifting. This occurs between all gears. it also revs up before shiting down from OD when passing on the highway. I have checked the fluid and the level and consistency are good. I thought perhaps it was the modulator valve but I'm not sure there is one from what I've found online so far. Possibly the control selonoid? Any help here please?
  • bambam4lsubambam4lsu Member Posts: 2
    I also own a 97 maxima 197000 it was shifting also kinda shifting with high rpm.. just changed the trans filter and fluid the 6th Sat. seems to be shifting better and having better torque, this was the first time changing the ATF filter and fluid.. tiny shaving on the magnets. :)
  • tinamaritinamari Member Posts: 2
    2000 Nissan Maxima....Electrical Issues Resolution?!!!??

Hi Everyone- Well since my last posting on July 29, 2009 my car has cut off about 3 or more times. But I did find out that my oxygen sensor needs to be replaced and that I have a short in my window wipers, which explains why my battery was being drained since I've used it. I feel better since I've found what may be causing my car grief and I am grateful that it will be paid off this year. Also, I learned that it is very very important to keep up with regular oil changes especially on older cars.... :blush:
    edited March 2010
    Am I assuming corectly that the transmission filter is inside the pan?
  • bambam4lsubambam4lsu Member Posts: 2
    yes O'Rielly's for 17.99 with gasket,,, get the kit with the rubber gasket (not cork) same price.. the Trans fluid at walmart save $4.00 LOL,, my filter had no gasket, but the filter comes with a pan gasket..
  • blown302blown302 Member Posts: 1
    I replaced my main drive belt the other day and could never get the belt tight once i put the new one on. Does anyone have any experience with this type of tenstioner and how it works?
  • shaynewshaynew Member Posts: 1
    My 95 Maxima has been running rough lately, but yesterday it died when the tank was very low, got it to the station to fill it up then it ran ok, next day would not start, or stay running if I touched the gas pedal at all. Sound coming from behind fuel management area sounds like a loud clock ticking (car on or key in acc mode). Think it might be fuel pump but can a car still run with a bad fuel pump?
  • acorns5acorns5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a strange sound which I cannot figure out. It sounds like a motor whinning. It sounds as if it is in the rear of the car. The faster I accelerate, the faster the whine sounds and louder. It is not real loud, but you can hear it. I have had the left rear wheel bearing replaced. Sound still there. I just had new tires put on the rear. Sound still there. Not sure what to do next?? Any ideas?? Acorns5
    Tires? You might check the tires for "feathering".

TIRE WEAR PATTERNS
  • acorns5acorns5 Member Posts: 2
    To Mr. Shiftright, I did that when I had the new tires put on last month. The noise seems to stay the same even if the pavement changes from concrete to asphalt. I can hear a difference on tire whine. Yet, this noise is different, Sounds more like a high pitched motor running. :confuse:
    Oh, maybe your fuel pump?
  • ruben07ruben07 Member Posts: 1
    tell me more in detail, what exactly your hearing and what you may think is wrong with your car?
    Actually, I took it to a new mechanic and he knew what the problem was. He said he flushed the transmission filter and put in a new one and now, voila! no problems!!!

thanks for asking!
    Turned out to be the high gear clutch drum. So I saved money by buying a 100k mile transmission from a salvage yard for $150 and changing out the tranny all together.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Has anyone with a 6th or 7th Generation Maxima with the CVT had any problems with it? I'm asking because I have a 2010 SV and I love the transmission for the most part, mind you I only have about 7k miles on the car but it seems to perform so smoothly and the fuel efficiency has just been excellent. But, and this is a big but, there are many people in the Altima and Murano CVT forums with horror stories of the their CVTs and wanted to know if the Maxima has been a recipient of any of those problems?
  • slealsleal Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem, were you able to find out what the issue was? Its not tires as I've changed my tires and its still making that noise, its also not the muffler. I'd hate to have to go to the dealer to have it resolved and over pay for a simple fix.
  • alexstorealexstore Member Posts: 264
    When I press gas pedal, my car makes a sound that I can only describe as bolts in a can. The car is not stumbling and accelerating without any issues. Any Ideas?
    Sounds like "pinging". If it IS pinging (you should have a mechanic listen to it) that can be dangerous for your engine if severe and lengthy (a quick little rattle is not so big a deal). This is also called pre-ignition and has to do with improper engine (spark) timing. Usually your car's computer, in conjunction with a "knock sensor" will adjust for low octane gas or other timing variations but in this case perhaps the knock sensor isn't working, or the gasoline is really sub-standard octane.
    Thanks, funny, my nissan max also started doing this just last week! ugh, I'm still dealing with the accelerator problem. Thought it was gone when my mechanic flushed the transmission filter - it was gone for several months, now that is back too!

He said it could be also a transmission timing sensor of some sort.

I love my car, but thinking it may be time>. ......
    Thank you.
    I saw my mechanic today and he thinks same way so I added some gas treatment to see if it fixes this issue.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    I have a 2006 Maxima SL with 53k miles. Over the last month or so, I've noticed that the suspension has gotten to be fairly rough. I've been vigliant lately in maintaining tire pressure but every little bump or seam feels like a blast to the wheels.

I'm thinking of taking it in to get the suspension checked out, but I'm worried that if I take it in and complain of suspension issues, the service folks will simply start recommending replacing shocks and springs at-will rather than ensuring there's an actual issue. Any thoughts on ways to be more specific in determining what the issue might be and how to make sure I don't get ripped off?
    They could check for a "blown" strut, indicated by leaking oil on the strut itself.

They can also do the "bounce test" but this is very subjective and proves little unless it were so extreme as to be obvious.

53K is a bit early for new struts but not unheard of.
  • hroppelhroppel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 maxima that has had the same warning lights... TCS and SLP coming on now for at least the last 10,000 miles. When the lights come on the car runs very rough and shakes. This is an on and off problem. Seems to occur more when car is cold. I have taken car into dealer when lights are not on and they have not been able to trouble shoot. Any ideas?
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    Had the same problen in 2K I30
    Had to chanege oxygen sensors, Pre Cat, etc..
    I ignored/tried to fix it myself...by reading forums here and at Maxima.org....
    Changed one oxygen sensor
    Ignition coils
    MAF..

Problems will disapper only to reappear again. Finally took it to dealer...

A known problems in 5th gen Maximas

Sanjay
    I have a 2006 Maxima SL with 54k miles (same car as potential suspension issues posting a few posts back).

Now in the last few days, it feels like my transmission is "slipping" when giving a bit of gas while coasting in traffic. I'll be coasting through rush hour traffic and just need to give the gas a little tap to keep moving, and the whole car "jerks". Feels like the auto trans isn't catching the gear right away, but I'm far from a gear-head.

Could this be as simple as the auto tranny fluid needing replaced? Anything other ideas?
  • meister4Umeister4U Member Posts: 7
    Hi,

There are a few things it could be...Oxygen sensor and/or knock sensor. I experienced this one...sounds like your problem. This could cause the car to sputter and worst case completely stall eventually. Or, it could be as simple as a fuel filter, or needing a tune-up.

If you have an AutoZone nearby, they have a decoder to your check your engine when your engine light comes on that can pinpoint parts problems so you know what parts to buy, like fuel injectors, filters, etc. You may just need a tune up. I would try that before I went to a mechanic and start spending a ton of money.

Other obvious possibilities are the kind of gas you are using..could be water in your gas.
  • cogitojazzcogitojazz Member Posts: 14
    Greetings from OH. I have an 03 Maxima SE 6 speed, 101K, periodically check engine light comes on. Service Tech says it could be clogged O2 sensor. Light goes off, light comes on. Using Sunoco or BP high octane. Getting great mileage, around 400 miles a tank and car is very well cared for - NO problems. He says don't worry - so I worry. Thinking of trading. Suggestions? Much appreciated!
  • mikenmistymikenmisty Member Posts: 1
    have a 2006 nissan maxima,wife hit a bump and now none of the gages work,they lite up but dont work,air also no longer works,have looked at all the fuses. and dismantled the lower dash and glove box,but still at a loss.
  • wifewrenchwifewrench Member Posts: 3
    I have a 65K car and after sitting for 3 days went to start it and fired up with what sounded like top end noise, shut it off re started and no top end noise but nay have spun over a little longer than normal but my question is @ 900 rpm either going up or coming down with accelerator there is what sounds like a chirp coming from engine area more noticeable under side than above, doesnt matter AC on or off, Thought maybe an idle or tension er but wouldn't that make a sound throughout the rpms, Any ideas would be Appreciated..
    Does not sound like a big prob;em. Try spraying with silicone spray on all the belts and pullys...when the motor is running and you can hear if it stops the problem.
    Did you evry get that "bad Valve" looked at I have a 02 maxima with what souds like very similar sounds under the hood almost a chirp @ 900 rpm accl. or decel. Any new updates on your issues??
    Thanks for the reply and will get back to you with "Good News" , i hope it is this eazy, oh and the car does have original belts 65K...
  • fordnutsfordnuts Member Posts: 19
    Have 2000 maxima and Check Engine Warning lights been on for 10K miles as well and finally driving rough. Had friend check computer codes, indicated bend 1 issue and a 2nd one dealing with catalytic converter. AS we peered where these items are noticed that the maxima has 2 or 3 catalytic converters, one next to engine block? and the 2 in line before the muffler. At bend 1 is an O2 sensor and just before and after the 1st cat are 2 more O2 sensors with the 4th o2 sensor next to cat on engine block. Happened right after I put high test gas (91 octane) in it!?
    Well see what it is?
  • rcmaxrcmax Member Posts: 11
    Guys, it would be a good idea to share the complete repair history of our cars just to get an idea of where Maxima stands in terms of onwership costs and reliability. Forget JD Powers, let us owners speak.

Mine is a 97 max with 160K miles and had the following repairs till now.
    1) All four brake rotor resurfacing - once
    2) All four New brake rotors- once
    3) Rear brake calipers - three sets
    4) Front brake calipers - one set
    5) New CV joint - once
    6) New alternator - once
    7) New radiator - once
    8) Oxygen sensor - once
    9) Knock sensor - once
    10) PCV valve - once
    11) Mufflers - twice
    12) Exhaust pipes - twice
    I'd go back to church if that's all I'll be spending on my Mini Cooper in the next 160,000 miles. :P

Those all seem "normal" repairs to me for 160K, except for the rear calipers---that's just not right, 3Xs.
  • bobbo96bobbo96 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1996 Maxim a GLE with 144k on it – all original suspension. Back end has been swimming around a bit, especially when I hit a pot hole. I know I need to replace the front/rear shocks, no brainer. But a mechanic described another piece that distributes the weight between the front and back of the car. He said that should get replaced as well and the part costs a couple hundred bucks.
    Here’s the problem, he can’t remember the name of the part. He thinks it might be called a “rear suspension crossbeam” or “rear control arm”. (I know what you are thinking, find a new mechanic!) I googled rear suspension and don’t see anything like what he described. Anyone else have any ideas?
    I think he meant 3 front and 1 rear since max is FWD
    I have a 2006 Maxima with 55k miles. The back of the car is looking to be running low compared to the front of the car (rear suspension sagging?) and I'm starting to think about having someone take a look at the rear suspension.

Does anyone have any ideas as to good places to take it? I'm new to my area and don't know any good local mechanics, so it's probably going to be some national chain.
  • rcmaxrcmax Member Posts: 11
    I meant 3 rear calipers. Even I am surprised how rear ones got bad that quick, either bad workmanship or bad parts.
    I've had pretty good sucess with the Firestone chain. I haven't had them do suspension work, but they seem pretty good on other work (brakes, radiator, transmission). Also, if you have their credit card they offer 0% interest for 90 days on repairs.
  • mfrmfr Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 1992 Nissan Maxima that I just put in a new window motor. After I got done with it I tried to start the car but absolutely nothing, no sounds, no lights, no power to anything, a completely dead electrical systems. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, MFR
    Did you disconnect the battery to install? Or did you install in with the battery connected,You may have blown a fuse. Box is: one under the hood and another under the dash. You want the one that says power accessories or power windows,
    Make sure your battery connections are right, tight and clean.
    Let me know how you make out.
  • ediazediaz Member Posts: 1
    My washer fluid light won't go out. Fill it up, stays on. I can see what I believe is the sensor through a little hole just behind the right front bumper, but it doesn't look real easy to get at. Solutions?