Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dlaughlindlaughlin Member Posts: 17
    Anyone know how much transmission fluid is needed to flush a 1997 Maxima?
  • gtspecgtspec Member Posts: 55
    I've just pick-up my 2002 SE yesterday afternoon, and so far so good, except that the "clock" and "Security" LED won't show or light-up????? I will take it to the dealer next week?

Does anyone know if the indash 6-CD changer is standard on all 2002 Maxima, because I think mine doesn't have it, and I check with Nissan website and it says the indash 6-CD changer is standard on all Maxima, now I'm confuse???
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    The moonroof on my 2000 SE is not working right (car is 9 months old and has 9,000 miles). The 'tilt' function is fine, but it will no longer retract normally: it goes back a few inches and stops. If you push the switch again it will open a few more inches. Press again, a few more inches. This is true whether you press and hold or click the button for auto-retracting. After doing this twice I closed it and haven't tried opening it again (tilt still works OK). Sometimes when closing the tilt function, it 'overshoots' and starts to retract the glass. I think it's a switch problem or position sensor problem or something like that. Is there a computer involved with the roof?

I'm hoping someone has experience with this and can give me some advice before I take it to the dealer, because I don't trust them much. I'd especially like to avoid having them rip down the headliner while troubleshooting.
  • maxdrivermaxdriver Member Posts: 6
    I just hope that prospective Maxima drivers are not discouraged by the content of this topic and the negative tales. Not to disbelieve the problems that are posted, but they are the minority and not the common Maxima experience. Just check the historical repair records of the Maxima and you'll readily see that it is much more reliable than the average vehicle.

I have a '95 Maxima that is just about broken in - 78,000 miles and runs like it's new! I think the Maxima, especially if you pick up a low-mileage used one, is one of the best values around. There aren't a whole lot of 6 cylinders that you can get with a manual transmission and a trouble-free maintenance history. If you're having doubts - don't! Go for it!
  • will38will38 Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2002 Maxima SE. Every time I start the car the auto dimming mirror turns on. Is it supposed to work this way? There is no mention in the owners manual about this. I had a 99 Buick Regal with auto dimming mirrors with the switch on the rearview mirror. It had to be switched on before it would work.
  • umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    will38:
    I have no info about the 2002 Maxima, but my 2001 has the autodimming mirror engaged full-time (unless I choose to turn it off). My 1998 Buick Regal also has the same feature, and it also stays on all the time (including at start-up)unless turned off. Both have the switch to turn the autodimming feature on the bottom of the mirror.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    I have this window squealing problem too on my 01 SE. What I do is spray WD40 in the crease and it solves the problem right there and lasts for a few weeks. I just keep it handy in the trunk.
  • zhangjozhangjo Member Posts: 5
    It smells very bad when I turn on the heat and fan on my 91 Maxima, especially at the stop. It used to be OK. Anyone knows what causes it and how to repair that? Thanks in advance.

zhangjo@yahoo.com
  • pateros67pateros67 Member Posts: 19
    I took my 01 GLE in & had the window fix done (to both front windows). They work so much better now! Didn't realize how much the friction from the rubber liners was belaboring the regulator. Before, the windows just crawled up - now they zip right up. There's nothing wrong with WD40 if you want to go that route, but this is covered under the warranty so why not get a permanent fix?

As to all the problems mentioned in this forum - I thought that's what it was for!! I have two Maxes and surely wouldn't have bought the second if I didn't think it was the best thing on wheels!!
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    bianca2 - You have me worried!

I have yet to change the oil on my 02 Max SE. I have 2,800 miles on it right now. Also, I didn't keep in under 55 for the first 1,000 miles.

PLEASE tell me I am not in THAT bad of shape! It seems to be running perfectly. Purring like a kitten!
  • bianca2bianca2 Member Posts: 78
    don't worry about it. (And I'm quite sure you're not!) I'm just spouting the usual conservative recommendations.

But you probably really should change the oil about now, since it's well broken in. Cheap insurance if you want to keep your car for a long time.
  • phaworthphaworth Member Posts: 20
    I need to know the correct tire pressure for the tires on my 2001 max gle. The owners manual says to use the info on the tires which is 35psi max. The center armrest has a tag that states 33psi for the front and 30psi for the rear. The tires are all Toyo.
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    I bought a 2002 Maxima about two weeks ago and when fueling up yesterday I noticed for the first time how dirty the fuel inlet area was. Then I remembered in previous posts about Max owners complaining of the same thing and discovered that a cover was missing in the left rear wheel well. Well I looked in my rear left wheel well and I could see the tubes going to the fuel tank. Today I went to my Nissan dealer and the service rep and I looked at other 2002 Max's and they all had the same thing, no covering over the rear of the wheel well leaving the gas tubes to the tank exposed. I had a 2000 Max and it was not like that! Are your Max's the same? Potential problems: salt rusting out the tubes or possibly a rock spit up by the tire causing a puncture in the tubes.
    I'd appreciate some feedback especially if your Max is the same.

Thanks
  • charlewcharlew Member Posts: 6
    I've had my 2000 GLE for a year now, and like it just as much now as I did the day after I bought it. A joy to drive. However, when I took it in for inspection in Aug. I mentioned to the dealer that the front brakes had a vibration to them when I pressed firmly over 40mph. After passing the car, the dealer said that they could not find anything wrong w/brakes. A week ago, the problem got so bad I returned and asked to have the brakes looked at again. I was told that rust from the rotors had lodged between the pads & rotors and caused the vibrations.They turned the rotors and charged me for new brake pads, saying that they weren't covered by warranty. I'm a little baffled by this...anybody else notice the same problem? Thanks, Chuck G.
    Does anyone know if the remote on the 2002 Maxima can roll-up the front windows? I know how to lower them with the remote, but how do I get them up? What's the point of using the remote to lower the front windows if you cann't roll them up using the remote???

oehrlein- I will check on my 2002 SE tomorrow to see if it has the "left rear wheel well" cover.
  • umpopaumpopa Member Posts: 37
    It's best to follow the notation on the console lid: 33 psi front, 30 psi rear, IMHO.

When my GLE was delivered, the tire pressures were extremely low (actually in the 22-25 psi range!), and the ride improved dramatically when I got them up to the right pressures.
  • choosinuchoosinu Member Posts: 23
    Chuck G., I had the same problem. I have a 2000 SE I purchased 10/99. Within a year, I had been back and forth to the dealer about sporadic excessive noise/grinding with my brakes. I noticed it especially when stopping coming downhill at high speed. Everytime I went to them they would test drive the car and send me on my way. Nothing documented. This year, I finally found a service manager who drove with me for about 1/2 hour. The grinding occurred coming down a hill. He was astonished, said he'd never heard anything like it. They checks and I had little wear on the pad. He spoke to Technical Rep and they wouldn't deal with it as a warranty issue. They put on new pads and turned rotors. I paid with a supposed discount. So far, I have not heard the grinding again, but I am not at ease since I had more than sufficient pad left when they replaced them. I feel like I got ripped off. I don't know if it was a problem with the pads or what. I am waiting to see if it happens again. Needless to say, I am out of warranty now.
  • charlewcharlew Member Posts: 6
    You may not be out of luck yet...the good folks at a town hall forum linked me to a Nissan ntsb bulletin #NTB00-088 classification BR00-007 .The rotors (and according to bulletin, it would appear the pads) are covered under the 3yr warranty. Check edmunds town hall forum under Nissan Maxima (in the sedan section). I've found those folks to be a great help w/problems and advice! Good Luck (Ithink I may need some too) Chuck
    oehrlein - I just checked my 2002 SE and it too does NOT have any "left rear wheel well" cover. I hope the problem with the gas tube been rust out or broken by any external object will not happen, and NISSAN should have place the gas tube inside the wheel well cover for safety reasons!
  • oehrleinoehrlein Member Posts: 30
    gtspec thanks for your post. Any other 2002 Max owners check out their Max for this? Let us know. Thanks.
    Semper Fi
  • jortbalsjortbals Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1993 Maxima and I'm having problems too! Usually I get 227 miles for a tank of gas, however I've driven only 60 miles since filling up last week and a half of a tank is gone already. The car doesn't smell like gas and I got the fuel pump and fuel lines replaced in July 2001. Also, I got an oil change and new air filters last week. Any guesses?
    jortbals - maybe you want to check your "O2" sensors!
  • rwright6rwright6 Member Posts: 1
    I just had a remote start installed on my 1996 Maxima...it works great when the car is warm but won't start the engine when cold (engine just turns over). If i start with key when cold, it starts with one click....what could be the problem ??? does anyone know ??? thanks in advance.
  • gslevegsleve Member Posts: 183
    additionally was there installed a new fuel filter perhaps spark plugs need be changed also, first check the 02 sensors there may be more than one on this car
  • hbe2hbe2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1996 Maxima SE. My engine light has been on for a few days so I took it to the dealer to have checked out. Outcome is both front 02 sensors are faulty (codes P0150 and P0130). I know from reading postings on 02 sensors, to replace with Bosch, not Nissan. Is replacing the 02 sensors something that I would be able to do?
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    1. you forgot to mention this car's just been in a front end collision

2. your question has been answered in the other place you posted it, the "Check Engine Light" forum.
  • skips2skips2 Member Posts: 52
    In August 1999, I purchased a new 2000 GLE for $26,300. I thought it might be helpful to post an update for those of you considering the Maxima. I now have 37,000 miles on my Maxima.

The car drives like a gem. I love the car. I have encountered 3 problems with the car.

1. During the first year, the automatic AC never seemed to get very cold regardless of how low I set the temperature. This seemed to be very noticable during my first summer of ownership. The dealer checked it twice and said it was normal. During the second year, it seemed fine. I guess, after constant use, the AC became more effective. During this last year, I have never since felt that the car did not cool down fast enough even on the hottest days.

2. My car has traction control and on occasion the TCS light would come on and stay on until I turned the car off and restarted it. Of course, the dealer could never duplicate this situation since it only occurred on rare occasions. This is no longer a problem. It has not happened for at least 5 months. It seems to have self corrected itself or gone away.

3. The paint chips very easily. Despite Nissan's claim that they test the chip worthiness of the Maxima's paint by shooting diamonds at the paint, it chips much too easily. I have never owned a car whose paint came off so easily. It's not a huge problem, but it does require frequent application of touch up paint. Stone chips often show bare metal. My 1988 Honda Accord has a much more durable paint job. Nissan's paint seems cheap and very thin.

Otherwise this car has been great. I would definitely buy it again. I plan on keeping it for many years.

Hope this helps.
  • jferrerjferrer Member Posts: 1
    Driving my new 2001 GLE, I hear Toyo A05 tire noise in the passenger compartment. It's especially noticible on the semi-rough concrete roadways in Dallas, Tx. I'm thinking of switching them to a BFG touring radial or similar. Any experiences or advice you can share with the group please?

thanks!
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    This is the infamous "Fuel Line protector" issue. It happenes in the 01 Max and I30. 01 Max owners had the dealer do the installation under warranty. Go ask your dealer to do it.
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    Hello All. A while back I posted a question as to whether anyone with a 2001 or 2000 Maxima SE has a "thump" noise / sensation up front during maderate to hard acceleration. It feels like motor mounts. Not real "violent" really but I am wondering if this is normal - as the service manager said. Does not seem to affect anything. I've got 2K on the car and it runs great ('01). Otherwise, not a sqeak, rattle or anything unusual. The car is fast, handles great with those 17 inchers and the brakes are real good. Car had 2 miles on it when I drove it from the dealership. Thanks for any feedback.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    I have a 00 SE 5 speed loaded up and we love the car. I do have a question, I got the computer update for the fuel cut problem which now allows some fuel to engine below 1800rpms for smoother driving with a 5 speed. I don't use cruise much, but I did notice the other day that because of the engine running over 1800rpm at cruising speed (could use a 6th gear), it seems the cruise operation is somewhat jerky on 65mph flat roads where the throttle is barely open...a "on-off-on" sort of thing that is going to yeild less fuel economy and not be as comfortable as when I drive it manually.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior, and is there a fix like the fuel cut?

Thanks in advance.

S
    CWMaxima - Just a quick note. The Max is a bit harder to drive smoothly if you have not done the 2000+ model computer upgrade that eliminates the fuel cut below 1800rpm. Prior to this fix, the engine would go from full compression braking (throttle closed) to slight power (barely cracked open throttle), which in traffic and such made for herky jerky driving.

We got the fix and now the car is great. Yea, the shifter is not very sweet and the motor mounts allow a lot of transaxle movement that is transferred to the shifter, but the motor is buttery smooth and sometimes we forget to shift gears it revs so well. Never seen a car motor like it before.

There are many message on maxima 5-speed problems in archived discussions, as this problem was solved by the TSB computer upgrade.

Also, a trick to lower gear smooth shifts is to slighly use more throttle than you were using right before the shift, disengage clutch and let off the power, shift and keep going. The slight push before the shift carries you smoother into the next gear. Blip the throttle on downshifts and take it easy on the transmission. I don't get warm fuzzies about it feeling really bulletproof, but I just guessing at the feel of it. FYI My first car had a Hurst shifter and a Muncie M-21 tranny, so maybe I'm just used to more solid feel than this thing has!

DD
  • kperkper Member Posts: 3
    Just a little note: My 2001 Maxima SE took a hit from an arrow-shaped bluestone thrown from a distant dump truck on I-95 in D.C.. It passed safely through the bottom opening of the front grill and into the air conditioner condensor (a soft aluminum radiator-size thing). Dealer charged $680 to replace it since it was road hazard damage. I might just put some rabbit wire in front of the new one, cause it will surely happen again!
    dirkdaddy, in your note (#433) you mention "motor mounts allow a lot of transaxle movement". Do you think that perhaps that is the "thump" feeling I get during moderate to hard acceleration in my '01 SE automatic? (see note #431 above).
    I have a 5 speed and no thumping even under accl., but I'd guess that the soft motor mounts might be an issue. I've never seen a shifter move that much but then again the car is very well isolated from the engine. The only way you could check is to have someone you trust behind the wheel, parked, hood open foot FIRMLY on brake, stand to side and have them load the motor a bit in Drive and see if you can recreate the noise. I have not done this but figure you see the motor move like 3-4" front to back. you can have dealer also check the exhaust and stuff to see if its banging on something when the motor moves, that's a good chance too.

We got our car with 200miles on it, more than I usually would take but it still had nubs on the tires so I figured it hadn't been on any bonzi runs like I did in a similar car with a buddy on a test drive. They let me take home to htink about it and figure someone did that and had second thoughts.

fyi - we looked seriously at the olds intrigue, but the rear seat was at a odd layed back angle, was not as sporty, and the headliner and interior fit and finish was lacking. Motor 3.5 was fantastic, about 3x the usable torque of the 3.0 nissan motor I'd guess ( I know it doesn't measure that way but it really jumps off the line and revs nearly as good. saw on boards problems with alternators and front end. Our nissan has been flawless except for the computer upgrade and the soft paint on plastic.
  • generalmacomb1generalmacomb1 Member Posts: 1
    I've discovered a great teflon grease (white), which I purchased at a Marine Chandlery. It's waterproof, stainproof, and lasts a long time. Powerwindows sticky problems will be zippity do da!
    Can't remember the brand name, but should be available at any Marine store.
    Can any other 2002 Maxima owners tell me what's their idling RPM? My 2002 SE is idling at 500~600 RPM and I think that's a little bit low, because I can feel the slight vibration through the steering wheel at idling speed. Is this normal? Thanks in advance !!!
    That idle speed seems normal. If you're used to a 4cyl, they usually idle at 1000rpm or higher. A shake at idle could be a partially clogged injector or bad gas. Try some better gas. That's my 2cents.
    Your question of brakes - I have a '00 se and have not had to mess with them yet, so this is just answered in general not specific to the max.

Fronts are larger on most cars, rears smaller, different.

max has disks both front and rear.

decellerating with by downshifting the engine puts more wear on the motor than it would brakes, and brakes are cheaper, that's the general rule.

you don't want "economy" brakes. You have a nice car, make sure get quality pads. material used on brakes pads varies considerably, and that can affect performance and pad life both ways. If you are totally satisfied with the nissan pads and they lasted quite a while, you couldn't go wrong using them again. I got 65k on a set of dodge pads on my last car and I was so happy with them (and dissatisfied with a set of cheapo ones I got at a parts store for my truck) I gladly paid the dealer price for new ones.

most all pads now are semi-metalic, and these harder pads last longer and handle heat well, but they heat up the rotors and warp them faster than the old designs.

you can replace them yourself if you are semi-skilled and have some tools, pretty easy.

good luck
    Does anyone know if a 2002 MAXIMA SE comes with the wiring for the 6 disc CD-changer (trunk mount) pre-wired to the trunk, and can it control the changer? My is a 1 CD (2-DIN) base system, without BOSE option. Has anyone installed a trunk mount Nissan changer (made by Clarion) themselves? Thanks!
  • inemerinemer Member Posts: 44
    Can some body give me a good advice?
    We have 2000 Nissan Maxima. Starting last Sunday, when we park our car in a garage trunks open him self. Our bedroom right over garage and all night I can hear clinking sound of trunks opener. Their two new thing in our house that was not here before Sunday: water heater and cell phone. I have another idea; maybe a button on a key remote control from Maxima gets stack and that why trunks opened every 1 min. I will check this theory tonight. Any other thought?
    I have an '01 SE automatic with just under 3K miles on it. The car runs well however here are a few things I'm observing and wonder if any of this sounds familliar to anyone. First: 1st to second gear isn't "crisp". It kind of "slides" from 1st to 2nd however, the car accelerates strongly - no power loss during the shift change. Second: the engine or tranny seems to "whine" a bit. Normal sound? Again - doesn't seem to be a power loss or slippage except for what I described above. Third: the engine sounds just a little out of time, I suppose mostly when cold but there is no rough feel as I think there would be if the car really was out of time. These are sounds from inside the car. If I have the window opened and I am next to a wall or something, the car sounds most sweet. Lastly, I am only getting somewhere between 18 to 20 MPG (premium 93 octane)in hwy / city type driving. I have a lead foot and when on highway am usually between 70 / 80 MPH. The car seems to run great and realy "goes" when I want it to. Are these "observations" of an overly critical ear? What do you think? I think I may be overly critical and these may be normal for this car. I am realy happy with the performance of this car, all in all. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
  • q45manq45man Member Posts: 416
    Remember the mileage estimates are for 55 mph cruise NO AC on and for non Ethanol or MTBE blend gasoline! So 80/55= 45% higher rpm so 45%/2 ...3 cylinders fire per revolution 22% worse at minimum due to higher speed not counting the aerodynamic load which requies more HP generation.
    As you get away from the optimized fuel economy point [2000-2500 rpm] the injectors are richen to lower the combustion temperature. Not unusual to see a 25-30% decrease in cruise mpg when going 80 mph vs 55.
  • bianca2bianca2 Member Posts: 78
    That kind of thing can happen, as you suggest, if the remote control gets stuck or is accidentally hit, which might happen if the remote is in your pocket and you're not too far from the garage. Something similar happened to us a couple of times until we got in the habit of hanging our car keys on a hook by the door. No more problems.
    I have a 5speed 2000 se, so I can't speak to the auto trans but we get 21-24mpg regularly in fairly bad traffic commuting mostly with the climate air running (Houston), but we are not leadfoots except on occasion. Sounds like your milage is typical. Keep tires aired up, and don't drive like such a manic and you should be able to keep it in the 20's.

In fact my wife was squealing about my hitting WOT and rowing through the gears on this one short entrance ramp -- even though she was the one who wanted the Max the most. Now I think she would have liked something sleepy like the Avalon instead! After the baby, you know she's more conservative. Keep telling her "you don't have to slow for this corner"...
  • joeturdojoeturdo Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2000/GXE with 14,800 miles, car runs great but I've noticed a few things that maybe I can get some info. on.
    1. CD starts to skip when heat is on (4-5song in), CD itself is very warm when ejected.
    2. I can't open the driver door (when locked) with the handle, must hit lock release first, can this be reset?
    3. Brakes work fine but seem to grind a bit, is that normal?
    4. Drivers side window squeals, what/where do I apply white grease?

I got 24 MPG on my first tank, not bad for 2/3 hi way 1/3 city.

Appreciate any help!
    Thanks for your posts on gas mileage, etc.
  • erinclerincl Member Posts: 1
    Hi have a 2001 Nissan Maxima GLE. I don't know exactly what color it is, it looks like a champagne color. The paid is falling apart. I used a sponge to wipe bird poop off the hood and it scratched the paint or the clear coat terribly. This morning a washed the car off with water and in a separate place on the hood and there was a chunk of paint missing and it looks like is going to start to peel off. I have an appointment with the Service Director this afternoon to see if he thinks it is a factory problem. I have owned 2 Honda Accords, and Acura Integra and a Ford Escort Wagon that were 9 + years old when I sold them and none of them have ever had paint problems like this. I have always lived in the same city in the same neighborhood and have driven in the same conditions.
  • galvanjjrgalvanjjr Member Posts: 4
    This paint problem which Nissan is having, and by the looks of it isn't going to do anything about, is all too disturbing. I have plans on placing a deposit on a 2002 Maxima, fully loaded, this Saturday and hearing all these paint complaints really worries me. I'm truly beginning to give the purchase a second thought. After all I have owned many cars in the past. As a matter a fact I have owned cars from all of the Big 3 manufactures and none of them had paint issues. This is my first Import and I really do like the Max I just don't want to be connecting the dots on my new $30,000.00 vehicle two months down the road.
  • rayfbairdrayfbaird Member Posts: 183
    I may not be fashionable for saying this, but if you want to minimize the paint problems be careful with the colors. The problem just described was on the gold car. It is a heavy metalic. Glacier Mist, Majestic blue and Merlot are probably more durable colors since the paint doesn't have such a heavy metalic content.