Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• teg12teg12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Maxima with about 33,000 miles on it. For the past 18 months I have had a fluttering noise when my fan (or air conditioner or heat) is on low. It is a high pitched noise. It is a little louder when I turn the car to the left. Last year, the dealership replaced the fan motor. This year they claimed it was leaves in the fan motor, and cleaned it. The next quiet day, I heard the sound again. I am taking the car in in a few weeks to have it looked at again and I have contacted Nissan corporate to see if they can help. They will have a technician available for my local dealer to call. But, I am looking for ideas. Can the steering rub against the fan motor, causing a harmonic noise? Is it the fan motor? Any ideas?
  • wdoranwdoran Member Posts: 31
    The most likely problem is stuck door latch, requires dealer to break latch by inserting a screwdriver down window openning. He than must replace latch. I have same problem in passenger door. Estimate to fix $200-250
  • dklaneckydklanecky Member Posts: 559
    I also have had the same problem with my 2000 SE. In my case, running the HVAC on the one fan blade made a high pitched noise that clearly stopped (you could hear it slow down and then stop) when you shut off the HVAC.

It was almost as if it was hitting something inside the motor (or the fan blade itself).

Dealer replaced the "blower motor and fan" part #27220-2Y900 at 47,964 miles.

The exact same thing happened at 76,722 miles and was replaced again by the dealer at no charge.

I think it's a defect in the design that is caused by the fact the over 98% of the time it's on, my fan is always on the one fan blade speed and it just wears out.

I'm up to 81,000 miles now and this is the only real issue I've had with the car.
  • djmarrdjmarr Member Posts: 3
    I have begun to have difficulty with the ignition switch on my 95 GXE Max and I am interested if anyone else has experienced this. About 1 out of 4 times, the key will not work without jiggling
    extensively. The dealer suggested replacing it ($350). Lubricant (liquid graphite) has not helped. I feel it may be related to the security interlock system (shifter, locks, etc). and an adjustment of some kind might do the job.
    Also, although reliability has been superb overall, repairs in general seem to be expensive at the dealer. A friend with a Volvo (notoriously high) had an ignition switch replaced for $250. Comments?
  • ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I've got a 2000 SE, loaded, auto, 28K miles. My one big complaint is the tranny. It sure seems to hunt for gears, especially when taking off slowly and then punching it. It's like it's already in 2nd gear when going like 5mph. You can be inching out from stop sign, or pulling out in front of somebody, you take a corner and put the pedal down and it's a full second of nothing, then it drops down to what feels like passing gear and goes like hell. This happen to others? Also, I've got a K&N filter in and it didn't seem to do anything. The car is lame off the start and needs to hit 3000 rpm's before it feels like it's got any kind of balls. I test drove an 02 Altima with the "auto stick" and this car would KILL my 00 Max. I know it's 240HP vs 222HP, but it wasn't even funny. I do like my car, but it's also got lots of creaks and rattles on the interior, especially in the center underneath the radio and in the rear deck lid area. My seat seems to have something loose on the inside too as it makes noise around corners, like something is shifting back and forth inside, butt warmer works good though.
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    Is $350 real?

Where is this ? Manhattan??
  • jaepiljaepil Member Posts: 5
    Hey I haven't gone to the dealer yet but I was wondering if i can go to any dealer I want near my house. That's because I bought my Maxima pretty far from my house. And I need wheel alignment. I can't believe that my new Maxima is not aligned... very disppointed. Anyway, I asked around people and asked them to touch and feel my steering wheel and they said it is normal. They said they can't feel the vibration- but I do. And they are saying since it's no Lexus, so I shouldn't expect a perfection. They don't think dealer will do anything.

Hey one last question, is the scheduled maintenance (i.e. 4000 mi.) free? Or do I have to pay? Because I rather get my wheel alignment during my scheduled maintenance if it is free. Thanks a lot! Sorry for not visiting the forum often!
  • wittb2000wittb2000 Member Posts: 6
    I have a question! On a 1995 Nissan Maxima SE, does anybody know if the ink on the buttons that say Auto, Econ, Def, Mode and the temprature up and down, do these buttons light up at night when you turn the lights on. My stereo lights do and the hazard lights do but the rear window defrost, and all the heater control lights will not light up. The LCD display for temprature and fan speed lights up fine and dim's with the dimmer, but the lights on buttons will not. If anybody has an answer to my question please write back.
    Thanks in advance
    Witt-
  • lssomlailssomlai Member Posts: 3
    The heater control lights on my 93 GXE light up. Although some are becoming dimmer than others. If the buttoms rely on fiber optic cable (not sure) and there is a crack, the light intensity would decrease I'm sure.

Louis

P.S. wdoran, Thanks for the tip about the latch. I hope to get it looked at this weekend and will post back.
  • gtspecgtspec Member Posts: 55
    I haven't gone to the dealer either! I think if it's something under warranty that's broken, then any authorized Nissan dealer should take care of it. I didn't feel any vibration on my brother's 1992 Mazda 929 (133,000 miles), nor on my previous 1995 Mazda Millenia-S (80,000 miles). Even though Maxima is not a Lexus there shouldn't be any steering wheel vibration coming from one of the "world's best top 10 V6 engines" (the VQ engine). It's suppose to be silky smooth, isn't it???

No, the scheduled services are not FREE (unless you cut a deal with the dealer when you purchased the Maxima). I did my first service (Just oil and oil filter change, cost me $25 after tax) at 1,000 miles, and the next one will be at 4,000 miles (the SE is now at 1,750 miles). Hope you can get some input from the dealer about the "steering wheel vibration" when you go do the service! Please let me know, thanks : )
  • jaepiljaepil Member Posts: 5
    You know what... I just felt 2002 Acura CL Type S and it vibrates stronger than my Maxima. So I don't think it's a big problem for us, gtspec. I think we are just too anal. My friend has 2001 Lexus is300 so I am gonna feel that soon and tell you how it is.

Also, can you tell me the mileage limit for warranty? The one that covers bumper to bumper? The one taht I can bring my car to dealer for whatever reason? Is it 1000? Thanks

P.S.* Where do you reside? I live in SF
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    You need wheel alignment only if the car pulls to one side - vibration, on the other hand is not caused by misalignment. I would check if the wheels are balanced.
  • cbu9999cbu9999 Member Posts: 2
    Issomlai --- I owned a 94 GXE for several years. Regarding the squeaking rear brakes, that's what mine did too. Regarding the security system code (I presume that you're talking about the touch key pad system on the outside doors), you can undo the screws and remove the glove box. The control module for the system is there and has the original reset code labled on it. Using this code,follow the directions in the owner's manual to reset the system to a code of your choosing.
  • giorgosgiorgos Member Posts: 4
    I own a 1991 Maxima SE. for which I paid a lot of money for the "Bose Sound" (How stupid of me)

Well, what I got for my money (about $3,000) because I had to buy all the other options plus the Bose ($980,) was a rear deck that buzzes when the center mounted sub woofer comes into play.

That is, when a low bass note is heard, the sub woofer comes alive and the whole rear deck buzzes like mad coloring the sound and it makes you hold your breath in anticipation of the buzz.

I took it to the dealer where I purchased it, in Westchester, NY (GEIS) and all they did was to replace the sub woofer (10 min job) and put some foam under the mounting plate, which made no difference at all and I told them it would not work.

They then refused to do anything about the rear deck. They even refused to take the cover off in order to look for contact points. Their answer was: "We did all we can do for you."

Nissan USA was of absolutely no help either.

I demanded for an appointment with their zone rep (how naive of me) who came in and just listened to the car but did absolutely nothing about it as well. He must have had a bad day of too many complaints, I guess

He agreed about the buzzing sound but his answer was that is the "characteristic of the car" and is refusing to do anything else for me. Lower your volume alittle, try a different CD!!!

To me it means that "Characteristic" = "Badly designed sound absorbtion materials around the subwoofer."

But the mention of a "design defect" is a no-no to Nissan.

We also tested other models as well on the lot: 2000, 2001 and 2002 and they ALL make the same noises more or less, which proved to me it is a badly designed enclosure all around.

Interestingly, the redesigned Altima sounds fine with the same cd's.

I don't know how the hell they tested this when they designed the vehicle. They nust have been playing violins or something similar when they tested it.

What is mostly irritating is the refusal on Nissan's part to accept responsibility for the problem and that they just drop you like a hot potato.

I suppose they don't want to have to recall 3 years worth of faulty Maximas.

They also claim that they "never heard of this problem"

I am posting this message hoping that others suffer as well. If you do, please start pressuring Nissan to do something about this obvious problem. They will not respond to a few complainers but they will respond to many. The last thing they need is bad publicity about their flagship car

If the word goes around they will jump to it.

The repair is real simple. All you need is sound absorbing material under the rear deck. Not a rocket science!

Stay tuned. We are not done yet. I am willing to pursue this to the bitter end.

They just don't know it yet. And to think I traded my Camry for this crap because I wanted the BOSE SOUND!!!
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Member Posts: 46
    I've got a 2001 SE, automatic, purchased at the end of August '01. I've got the comfort and Convinience package and the car is gray lustre / charcoal. I paid $24,000 (American) before tax.
    The car is running great, gas mileage has been between 17.5 and 22.5/gal. probably because my driving is stop sign to stop light mostly. I do not like the 1st to second shift as it lags between gears and I believe that that affects accelaration. Accelaration is good however - I would guess around 7.5 seconds zero to 60. I get a minor "thump" under moderate to hard acceleration form a dead stop and from accelerating hard from low speed - feels like motor mounts. Dealer service said "inherent with the car - there was another case and nothing alievieted the thump". This does not seem a big deal at all. I have no vibration whatsoever in the steering wheel at idle. The engine is truly smooth and has a refined sound out the exhaust.
    Accelaration is real good after 3500 RPMs. Passing from anywhere between 50 and 80 MPH is just effortless, (peak torque @ 4000 RPMs). The car stops well from any speed - the pedal feel is good and not spongey. The brakes start to grap with slight application of the pedal. The car handles very well at normal speeds. This car is fun to drive.
    The paint is not good. Many chips in the paint, mostly on the hood. I am concerned about this. This could be a problen when I decide to sell in 5 or 6 years. The paint chips range in size from less than 1/16" to a little less than 1/8". NOT COOL.
    I have no noticable sqeaks or rattles inside the car. The fit and finish are very good, in & out. IMO, the only improvements could have been in lighting the sunroof controls, adding rear A/C vents and moving the side view mirror controls to the driver's door so that you don't have to move forward to adjust. Perhaps also better or adjustable lateral support for the front seats.
    Just my opinion.
  • adewildtadewildt Member Posts: 1
    We own a 2000 Maxima SE w/5sp. Love the car, but there are some annoyances:

1. The paint (sterling mist) is super soft. It chips really easily. We have tons on dings on the doors and fron bumper. I tried to touch it up with the Nissan touch-up pen, but now it looks even worse, as the paint from the pen doesn't blend in. Hopefully detailing will take care of it, if not, may have to bring the car to a body shop.

2. The clutch is not user friendly. Especially in 1st gear, the clutch is hard to work, it can make you look like a 5 speed amateur (which I am not). Apparently, the folks at Motortrend experienced the same issue in their one year test. It is great that Nissan caters to the manual tranny crowd with the Maxima and Altima (and soon the Infinity G35), but why can't they put in better clutches and transmissions??? (Apparently the 6 sp. in the Sentra SE-R is a disaster as well)

3. We had some brakes issues. After driving the car thorugh the desert in 110 degrees for a couple of hours, the front brakes started to make uncomfortable noises. We took it to the dealer rightaway and they replaced the brakes pads under warrenty. Apparently, this is known problem in extreme heat.

The car is an absolute blast to drive, though. If Nissan just took care of these simple issues....
    GinBn,

Thanks for the input in the Maxima sound problems frorum.

Unfortunately the forum is now Read only.

I was wondering if you could describe what Dynomat is and where can I get it.

Not familiar with it.

Thanks
    jaepil - I'm suprise that an 2002 Acura CL's steering wheel will vibration at idling speed, hmm... I guess we are just too anal about out Maximas (afterall it's our own car and not just another car on the dealer lot).

The Nissan warranty are "Bumper-to-bumper" for 3 years or 36,000 miles, and the "Drivetrain (engine & transmission)" for 5 years or 60,000 miles.

Let me know after you "feel" the Lexus IS300's steering wheel. By the way, I'm in Queens, NY.
  • ilitilit Member Posts: 71
    My Infinity I35, which is similar to I30 or Maxima 2000 and later in the design of the rear deck where the bass mounted to, had this problem and was fixed. When I talked with the mechanic I learned that there is a TB against this problem. So don't worry if your rear deck, where the bass mounted, buzzling or rattling; just take it to a dealership, they'll fix it.
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    There used to be a board just for this problem (now read-only); any of you guys still out there? Briefly, the problem and TSB are that the engine computer cuts off fuel below 1800 or 2800 rpm, depending on who you ask, and gives a sudden surge of fuel as you ease on the throttle from idle. Makes it very hard to start off smoothly and causes other problems as well.

Now for my question: once the reprogramming of the computer is done, is it really permanent? Mine has been reprogrammed twice and each time the car seemed noticeably better. Only for a few weeks, however. I'm wondering if the computer can lose the reprogramming and default to the original. I had a problem with the sunroof programming also, and recently had it reprogrammed for the second time. Mechanic thought the battery had been disconnected (it hadn't), but even if that would cause the sunroof to screw up, I can't believe the main ECM could be that way. Could it? Aside from being a pain in the butt, what happens when I'm out of warranty? I don't mind having to reprogram the radio, but this other stuff is unbelievable! My dealer gives me the classic blowoff on this type of thing.
    Surprise surprise.

Even though Nissan claimed there was nothing they could do for me, I notified them that I will be porting my complain in here so they get bad publicity at least.

Guess what . I received a cal from the deler's Service manager ASKING ME to bring the car in for extensive retrofitting of the rear deck "a 20 page procedure" he said.

And this is after I asked if they had a TB on this problem because I did not believe I was the only one.

Do you think that Nissan actually reads these messages? Keep the good work up.

Now I see that Infinity has the same problem too.

Thanks to the Infiniti owner who alerted us in here.
  • opimaxopimax Member Posts: 73
    The tsb is 24 pages and listed in maxima.org under forums, 5th gen at he top under "stickys" and lists almost all of the TSB so you can see what the techs are supposed to do, it is extensive and I couldn't get my dealer to do it even w/papers in hand. ( no more Nissan for me, maybe an Infiniti, maybe). I was at the start of the fuel cut board. It is suppose to last , it can be checked by the part number of the ECU (when reprogrammed it will reflect a diffent part number) currently on my 2k 2nd version was done after some time on the phone w/1800-nissan1 checking for bad fuel mileage after my coils were replaced. Going to my 3rd dealer (per the 800 number. original dealer just didn't fix anything, 2nd dealer was told by corp to call then and didn't, Corp had to call them while car was there) to check air fuel mixture. The reprogram seems to be better to drive, still have poor mpg 21-22 on the hwy. before i was getting 26 -27 until they replaced the coils. And I think you may have bad coils from the sound of it. Check the org and stickys, coils do not always make the check engine light come on. all this is to the best of my knowledge if anyone has additional knowledge, please feel free to update

Mark
    opimax
    20 page procedure! That's BS, and that was what the service writer tried to whining with me about the big job that takes a day or so; but when I talked with the mechanics, he told me it's 2 hrs job. The panel has to be removed so foam can be inserted to isolate the vibration caused by the woofer.
    Any way, the spot where the woofer is mounted is not a good place because the woofer is right at passengers' ears, and it's mounted to a large pannel without rigid support all around. Especially on a model with rear sunshade the panel needs cutout along the edge ajoining the glass, thus lacks of support. That's why foam is inserted for isolation.
    While driving, pay attention to the rear mirror, the vision will be blurred (means the glass vibrating) when bass sounds play. I don't believe passengers on the back can enjoy such great sound from the premium audio system.
  • bvf10376bvf10376 Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my new 2002 Maxima SE. At highway speeds the steering wheel and seat vibrate. Symptons of wheels out of balance. The dealer claims the problem is related to the low profile Bridgestone P225/VR17 tires and the sport tuned suspension because the GXE and GLE's don't have this problem (they use standard P215/17 tires w/o sport suspension). I also found out that ALL the SE's have this problem. Well, atleast all the ones they tested on their lot. They replaced all the rims, checked the rims for trueness. Found some runout with the tires so they are looking for a new set with no runout. I don't understand how they can claim this is a tire problem when low profiles are common on performance cars like Porches, BMW's, Audi's. Are they giving me a line? Are there any 2002 SE owners out there experiencing/not experiencing this problem? I cannot find any recalls, Nissan Tech Bulletins or even reviews that mention this problem.
    bvf10376 - I have a 2002 Maxima SE and I had posted some messages before on my steering wheel vibrations, but these slight vibration occurs when I put the gear into "D" and at stand still, not while driving. I guess the idling RPM is a bit low (just 500 RPM), let me know if you have the same slight steering wheel vibration at idling speed and in "D" gear (TWO other 2002 SE owners from this forum have the same problem).

When I drive at highway speed I do notice some steering wheel vibration but I'm not sure if there is any defect on those tires or rims, or simply the wheel are out of balance (at just 1,800 miles?). I didn't bother to check if the wheels are out of balance but I guess those sticky wheights might came off the inside of the rims easier than the traditional clamp style weights.
    If seats and steering wheel vibrate @ highway speed, most of time the tires are out of balance, with my experience.
    Go to Discount Tires and ask them for a life-time balance and rotation that costs about $40. They'll balance & rotate for you every 5000 mi.
    The suspension on SE model is stiffer than other models; eventhough SE runs a bit rougher than other models, you shouldn't feel vibration at the seats or steering wheel.
    I learned that from my experience with a car dealership and a Discount Tires store. I couldn't believe DC Tires fixed the problems. May be the store I came have newer/ more precised machine?
  • bvf10376bvf10376 Member Posts: 2
    gtspec - I can't recall noticing any steering wheel vibration when in "D" and idling. I'll find out later when i pickup the car. The dealer swapped the Bridgestones with Michelins which to me is a far better tire. 500 RPM does seem rather low. I'd tweak that up some. If you are noticing some vibration at highway speeds you might be experiencing the same problem as I. Have the dealer check the wheels on your car. Check rims for trueness and the tires for runout. Nissan is aware of this problem with the SE. I bet many others have this problem but don't know it's a problem. I think Nissan likes it that way.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    FYI -

We have a 2000 se 5sp and had the fuel cut problem. The reprogramming cured the problem except above 1800rpm of course, where it still seems to fuel cut but its much more drivable now. I also had a o2 sensor go out and the ticket said they reprogrammed the ECU but I think it was because they didn't know if it had been done before or not (although it was the same dealer, you'd think they'd see it). Or maybe the program got a new version since the original update. Whatever.

We have always gotten about 21-22mpg in mixed driving with the climate on - and I don't drive with lots of WOT or even gassing it from stops. I was satisfied with the MPG until we got a used 98 Olds minivan that is fully pimped out and that gets 23-24 mpg commuting in heavy traffic. The max surely could get better mpg, but I don't think the gear ratio of the 5 speed top gear is set low enough numerically - 3,000 rpm at cruise seems a bit high.

DD
  • flyinlowflyinlow Member Posts: 62
    Thanks, Opimax and Dirkdaddy, for your comments. Our car has had the coils replaced due to the exact symptoms described on this board a little while back: pinging in 2nd gear while accelerating. And yes, even right after the reprogram of the ECU both times when off-idle was better, the car still surged sometimes at steady speed. The weird part is that the surging is not consistent. It ranges from nonexistent (when the service mgr was driving and I was riding) to really annoying. Happens on the level and going downhill, not when going uphill due to the heavier throttle required.
  • tallypackrattallypackrat Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Maxima has had in the last six months, replacement of one of the three ignition coils, reprogramming of the ignition keys (key would not start car), and a warped rotor. I've been shopping for a new car and found that my Nissan is much quieter then any of the cars I considered in its class. It's pick-up is great! Alot of the newer Toyotas and Saturns are much noisier than my Maxima. My service with our local dealership has been very good. I've decided to hang on to my Maxima for a few more years!
  • ahoaho Member Posts: 1
    Last week, my 01 maxima has 4 times hard start. It does not happen every time, but is too often. It is 10 months and 13000 miles. I want to know some knowledge before took to dealer.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    My maxima does that too with the hard start. What I do is when the first time it fails. I would step on the gas and start it and releasing as soon as you hear the engine catching on. Remember to release at the right time or you are gonna rev up your engine too high. This is in the manual also.
    You didn't say what conditions your car was surging, but the fuel-cut reprogram only is in effect below 1800 rpm. I have found that cruise control on my manual surges as it goes from on-gas to fuel-cut and back and forth as the car attempts to maintain a steady speed. It does not keep a steady speed IMHO, it speeds up and then slows down, then speeds up, etc. Its not super obvious, as even when I mentioned it my wife didn't even notice it, but it was driving me crazy. To keep the car from doing this you either have to drive fast enough to keep the throttle at least somewhat open. At like 60mph on a flat road, the engine hardly has to work so it goes back and forth. You might be doing the same if your foot is going on and off the gas.

Or do you have a different problem?
  • stermenstermen Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2K1 SE with 23K miles and it also has the starting problem. I have been logging the problem. I note the engine temp and the outside temp and believe this is a factor. The engine is always cold and the outside temp is typically 55-60F. Can you guys note the temperature next time you have the problem and post it back up here?
    Well, today I took the car to me dealer again for the rear shelf buzzing problem with the Bose sub woofer.

They finally relented and agreed that there is a bulletin for fixing this (actually there are 2) but Nissan seems to rank it up there with incest and child rape. They just don't want to talk about it unless pressed with a lemon law suit or public exposure (I think forums like this one help.)

Well the result is that they removed the rear shelf, and 4 hours later they had dressed it with padding that looks like carpet backing. and press-sandwiched it between the shelf and the metal frame. This did the job.

I still think that the Bose stereo sucks for $980. It is the biggest rip-off ever. My 98 Camry had better sound and it was only $300 extra for the cassette/CD combo.

So the moral of the story is: NEVER GIVE UP no matter what the service, zone or consumer affairs people tell you. Ask for the service bulletin to be applied. It was issued on 8/2001 and I believe would apply to 2000, 2001 and 2002 Maximas. They share the same design on the back shelf.

I found them on the NHTSA Site (http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov)

You have to search for 2001 Nissan Maxima interior problems. TSB numbers are NTB01051 and NTB01051A.

Mention them to your innocent eye flapping Nissan Dealer when you go to have the problem fixed. He will hate you for it!!!
    you need a new dealer. The one I have here is very much focused on service. Every time you see them they give you a survey to fill out, and I have yet to find them not willing to fix something. My 2000 has not given much opportunity to test them however. :~)

The bose stereo was already on my car and its better than a stock radio. I tell you one thing, its completely different sounding with a CD versus the radio. The radio sound is marginal. And you need to adjust the tone controls differently for each one - would be nice if they kept settings just for the source. The CD sound is pretty good, and thats from a guy with thousands of dollars in hifi equipment at my house. Bass is ok and well extended into the lower octaves, but not beefy enough IMHO. Granted if gut wrenching bass is what you're after, none of the OEM systems are going to do that.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    I have a 2k1 maxima se with the bose stereo. I took my car in to the dealer for some body work. A 3 day repair took 2 weeks. Anyway, when I got it back and was driving home, I noticed the sound of the speakers aren't as whole anymore. It sounds cheap, muffled and staticky. I went into FM2 and saw that all my channels were changed. It seems someone either swapped my speakers or blown it. I will be bringing it back to the dealer tomorrow but I have a feeling they are going to give me a hard time. Somebody told me Nissan doesn't cover the speakers. Any truth to this? Any advice how I should go about it if the dealer doesn't fix the problem? I mean, this was a $900 option. Thanks.
  • obiwankenobi1obiwankenobi1 Member Posts: 290
    ...didn't get the Bose!

The regular stereo is just fine and no rear rattling!
  • ttupikettupike Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2002 GLE and have noticed the slight vibration in the steering wheel while the car is idling with the transmission in drive. It drives me crazy. I took it to the dealer shortly after I purchased it and they said they did not notice any vibration. Is it easy to increase the idle speed slightly to compensate?
  • robert113robert113 Member Posts: 1
    Doubt if you'll be able to adjust the idle speed, that is all electronically controlled. My 99 does something similar, its just a trait of the Maxima.
  • igork1igork1 Member Posts: 6
    I bought Maxima 2002 SE 3 weeks ago. Today I noticed that car pools to the right. Drove 600 miles since purchase, only highway and no pothols.
    It is a little bit too soon and too fast. I am taking car to dealer next week but for now would like to know if anyone had the same problem.
    I guess more and more 2002 Maxima owners are noticing the slight steering wheel vibrations at idling with the transmission in drive.

Please refer to the following Messages # for the postings on this steering vibration issue;
    #485, 501, 502, 504, 509, 510, 511, 512, 548, 558, 561, 562, 569, 575, 576, 577, and 578.
    The newer SE has 17" rims, which make it more sensitive to roads and the peak & angle roads are laid on to keep the water running off. Make sure its pulling and not just the road you are feeling. If you're not used to it, the low profile tires seem to pull over various road features. Try a known flat section or parking lot if you can find one.

Other than that, I have not heard of the problem, but the dealer can address.

DD
  • wainwain Member Posts: 479
    there is not too much alignmant on these cars.
    i had to take my new 99 infiniti to an independant mechanic after 3 trips to the dealer who said they all do that blaming road crown.
    The indep mech cut a slot in the strut bolt hole allowing the proper alignment.
    factory has no adjustment bolts.
    neither my Hondas or Camrys ever pulled
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Member Posts: 398
    I heard the cars get out of alignment sometimes during the transportation from the factory. I guess it is the way they are stretched on the delivery truck.

Also, sometimes a defective tire is to blame. I've had this once and after a wheel rotarion the defective tire ended in the back and the car stopped pulling.
  • nissanmaximanissanmaxima Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a Nissan Maxima 2002 SE and am having a couple of problems. First, when I start the car it appears the ignition is still trying to start for about a second or so before letting go. Secondly, when I accelerate or drive at normal speeds, I feel a vibration on the pedal. It appears as if I can feel every crack in the road or something.And finally, the car scratches pretty easily. Does anybody have these same issues?
  • igork1igork1 Member Posts: 6
    First, thanks for your help, guys. Now, I also noticed that ignition is still "running" after initial start. Don't know if it is normal. Most likely, not. Will see dealer on saturday about all of these issues and post message after. Wants again, dealers are not very reliable source. I checked website posted by DOT. URL:www.nhtsa.dot.gov. Check it out. Go to search and type in your vehicle's make, year and model and it will give you available recall information. Dealers may not mention it.
  • hennehenne Member Posts: 407
    Hello everyone. I am very active in the Dodge Dakota forum but until now have had no problems to really mention on the Maxima but now my wife is also having the slight vibration problem when driving (like a tire out of round) and its worse cold in the morning and is still there slightly through out the day. The mpg on the computer is off by about 5mpg. And last night the driver auto window goes auto down no problem, but when you auto up it goes up then back down about a third of the way down. It seems to close ok manually but if you use the auto to go up forget it. Anyone else having these issues.

Thanks,

Robert
  • sameer_ksameer_k Member Posts: 1
    Hello everybody,
    I have just joined this discussion group.
    My name is sameer. I am considering buying a used Nissan Maxima GXE (1993), that has 107K miles on it.

When I drove the car, I found that the car pulled to the right, ....but beyond that I was not able to find any noticeable driving problem in the car...the car has a fabulous exterior and interior too!!
    The reason I am worried is that the guy who is selling this vehicle to me, initially put its price at 5400$ and then one week later, he cut his price to 4500$ and then three days ago, he cut it to 3500$.!!!!
    Of course, I would take the car to a mechanic for a thorough check...but the way the guy has been slashing his asking price, I am wondering whether the car is even worth a thorough check!
    Please advise me on what are the crucial areas/problems of the car that I should double check and triple check before I decide to buy it.
    Thanks,
    sameer
  • ottersden1ottersden1 Member Posts: 4
    96 Maxima- GXE- 94K miles. I love the car- but this cold/mild temperature start is getting to me. I noticed last winter, a whine when the car started. Turns out the bearings in the starter were bad. I recently replaced it- and the problems with the cold start went on. I do also have a remote starter. On cold days- below 45 degrees- I have to jump in the car and press the gas to get it going. Otherwise-it cranks and kicks over, and dies. Or it just cranks and nothing. I never realized the issue was this big. It's not just me. Since Nissan is so clueless, i guess I'll just keep pressing the gas to get the fuel injected car started. It's ashame- this is my 3rd Maxima. Looks like I might have to give in to the wife and go Honda. Maybe I'll check the new Altima board soon to see if I have a chance at a Nissan still. If anyone has an answer- besides the numerous fuel filters, cleaners, lines, and starters- that would be great. otherwise, looks like there just another excuse for my lead foot in the car.