Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• jillymariejillymarie Member Posts: 14
    for the info...I reset it this morning just for the heck of it when I left for work. I was only at half full, but I did hit 23mpg. I'll go almost empty (despite my irrational fear of running out of gas :), fill up, and see how many gallons I put in and start from scratch. And hey...if I run out of gas I'll test out the roadside assistance and report back!!!!
    Thanks again!
    Jill
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Just got 512 miles on 13.8 gallons on trip from New York to Norfolk. My fuel gauge won't read full either. Having the dealer check it out next week for my 15,000 mile servicing.
  • onnykayonnykay Member Posts: 4
    I seem to recall an earlier post about someone installing their own mudflaps. I can't seem to find it anymore. They said there's a "secret handshake" to putting them on...

My husband is outside right now working on those rascals and he's scorching the air with his vocabulary--- any hints or tricks would be much appreciatied by this longsuffering wife...

Connie in TX
  • semifamoussemifamous Member Posts: 1
    This is probably just a "me too" message, but I have to say I'm loving my Elantra GT. In my car driving life, I've owned a couple of trucks, a Honda Accord, and a Volkswagon convertible. The only one of those that has come close in the driving fun was the Cabrio.

I test drove the Honda Civic too. I'm 6'0, somewhat broad shouldered and have a long torso, meaning I need more head and elbow room than the average Joe. I thought the Honda drove nice, but it was cramped (and yes, I adjusted the seat). I felt like I was flying in coach.

My Elantra GT is nice and comfy. Plus with the leather seats... it's not "First Class", but definitely "Executive Class" at least. I don't bump my head, have nice shoulder and elbow room. Plus those extra 13 horses and 19 pounds of torque in the engine (pushing just about 100 pounds more weight) make it nice and peppy.

The Civic's advantage was a slightly smoother ride and less road noise. But pop a cd in the *standard* cd player on the GT, turn up the bass a notch, and it's easily covered. Plus after driving stiff-suspension trucks and SUV's, it's definitely an improvement.

I've had this puppy three weeks and still haven't used up the full tank of gas the dealer gave me, despite a 180 mile road trip last weekend. Of course, I don't commute (take the bus), but it's great for driving in my off hours.

I got to borrow my mom's Mercedes for a 90+ mile drive (round trip) to see my best friend when I was down home last month... no contest. The Mercedes kicks the heck out of this (what, you thought I'd say this beats a Mercedes?). But if you can't afford a Mercedes, this is a darn fine alternative.

- Greg
  • yardbirdyardbird Member Posts: 30
    That ol fuel gauge can be a fickle affair.Try running the tank to near empty,then fill er up.Whatever monitors the "fullness" seemed to have righted itself after 3000 miles.I was gonna take it in for service on this but dreaded the idea of anyone messin around inside the dash.Well,the "problem" solved itself.At 5500 miles ALL systems are go! I must say mpgman that your gas milage results are the best I've heard of so far!
  • rftsrrftsr Member Posts: 4
    Have about 800 miles (mostly highway) on my new GT and it's getting 32-34 mpg according the dash computer. It's a bonus having a fun, peppy car that doesn't soak up the gas!
    What? 800 miles range from a single tank of gas? I'm not gettin something here.The 32-34 mpg makes sense...and if you multiply THAT by 14.5 (fuel tank size on 2001 GT),say 34 X 14.5,you get a range of 493 miles...which makes sense AND is damn good! To get a range of 800 miles you'd have to be getting about 55 mpg(!)and like you said,your dash computer indicated 32-34 mpg.Remember,that "range of miles"digital readout is misleading,it is always in flux.Simply take the gallons you replace during fill-up and divide it into your trip odometer reading(don't forget to reset your trip odometer to "00" every fill-up).This is the accurate way to measure mpg,and will keep mpg within the ballpark of possibilities.Still rftsr,you do have great mpg!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Re-read rftsr's post--he said he has 800 miles on his GT; he did not say it was on one tank of gas (which of course it was not, unless he's been driving downhill all the time).
    My 500 mile plus one tank jaunt was done pure highway with 35 psi all the way around and a light foot. I delight in stretching a gallon of gas as per my screen name. Got spoiled years ago with a Rabbit diesel that I could milk 60 mpgs out of on the highway and routinely got 40 from my Festiva. This car seems to do better at 70 mph than at 40 in the mpg department. The fuel gauge was looked at once by the dealer, and worked fine for 2 subsequent tank fulls. Since then, it generally reads 3/4 or a little better on fill-up, and will occasionally creep up to F as I drive several miles. Have experimented with the auto pump shut off and with filling to the top. At all times, I make extra sure to really tighten the gas cap. The dealer said to bring it in near empty in case they have to drop the tank. The trip computer is dead on in terms of accuracy so the fuel gauge is just a minor annoyance. Otherwise, the car is a pleasure. Minor gripes:

The coat hanger hook is a joke. One of these days I am afraid I am going to rip the head liner.

There should be a parking brake "on" audible reminder.

The dash fades out in sunlight.

The green turn signal lights and green clock readout don't go with the purple display.

By the way, for those of you that have ABS and traction control like I do, you will hear a click from under the car after you drive a few dozen feet....that is allegedly the TCS kicking in.
    Ok, I let it get almost empty, replaced 13.3 gallons and reset everything. It seems much better and dead on now. It's reading about 30-31 mpg, and that corresponds with the trip od vs. amount replaced. I've had this car for exactly 3 weeks now, just hit 1100 miles and I really love it. I switched cars with my fiance so he could wash the GT for me, and after driving the Sebring for a day, I was pouting to have the GT back :) The Sebring has that big 'ol boaty Lincoln feel, and was sucking up the gas big time. I'm really glad I traded my Grand AM in for this new toy! No regrets so far.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    After reading the manual again and again I cannot get my rear seat cushion to pull out and up as per the manual. Has anyone else run into this and what am I missing? Tnx.
  • nycdrivernycdriver Member Posts: 3
    5port, I initially also had trouble getting the reat seats to fold down. I may be stating the obvious but I actually have found that the only way to get the rear seats down is to ONLY pull up and not to pull out at all. Now, the seats fold down in a snap.
    I have read the postings here regarding the issue of the fuel gauge not reading Full, etc.

However, I was wondering if anyone has encountered any problems when actually trying to put gas in the tank. I went to the gas station yesterday for the first time since buying my GT. The fuel gauge (which read full when I bought the car) indicated there was a little less than 1/2 tank of gas. At the pump, I was able to only put in about 3.5 gallons of gas when the automatic shut off on the pump engaged, which I thought was strange since I was expecting to put in about 7. When I turned that car on again, the fuel tank gauge did not go to full (although it did go up to about what I would expect for an additional 3.5 gallons). In any event, I thought the problem might be related to the one that others have addressed.

However, later that day, after driving a lot of the day and running the fuel gauge down to just below a half tank, I tried again to fill the tank and this time I couldn't get any gas in the tank at all without the pump immediately shutting off. In fact, after a few of my persistent attempts to put gas in, I noticed that the gas line spit back some gas as if the tank were over filled.

I suspect there may be a problem with the fuel valve but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if they have any thoughts.
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    Have you called your service department? I would take my brand new car right back to the dealer. It is strange since they put gas in it when you bought it!
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    Hey, btw the estimate came to about $470, well.. gonna pick it up from the shop tomorrow. I was wondering if anybody knew the bolt pattern for the Elantra/GT since the 15s on the car are one of the few things i cannot stand. The design is not my taste. I want to upgrade to 17s and about 215/50 or 45. I have seen a few different numbers for the bolt pattern, anyon know for sure what it is and how much offset I would need?
    Thanks in advance
    I actually have a service appointment for next week with the dealer. As for the full tank, that is actually just part of their service. Every car you purchase comes with a full tank of gas. I'll post here any further information on the gas tank/pump issue as I get it.
    I hope you don't run out of gas before next week! By the full tank I meant that they could get gas into your car, so something must be up with it now. Have you tried more than one gas station to be sure it was not the pump that was faulty?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    What are you planning on doing with the GT wheels? Are you willing to sell them? If so, where are you located? I might be interested in buying them for my 00 Accent as long as the bolt pattern is the same (which I'm sure it is since an automaker generally uses the same pattern for all their cars). Let me know what you think.
    When I was fretting over my fuel gauge display in the begining I went through all the observations and examinations that everyone has noted,except taking it to a service dept(last resort!).
    >
    nycdriver...take some spare gas with you and drive it as close to empty as you dare.At 3000 miles I did this and it fixed whatever "gremlin" was in my tank.With a 14.5 gallon tank you can get a general "range of travel" to experiment with.I'd of course take it in for service if ALL methods were exhausted.Your prob sounds like a carbon copy of what I went through.good luck!
    >
    mpgman...regarding your minor gripes...coat hanger hooks?? Do you mean those driver/passenger handholds above the door,that's the only thing I've noticed there? I've got a problematic left leg and since I'm a big guy(6ft 3inch,210lbs)I use my driverside handhold to exit the car,it's been working great for that.Also,one of the first extra's I bought was a dashcover since I never tinted the front window and don't use a sun-shield. Green with purple!?? Yeah.However,if you experimented like I have over the years you soon realize all the colours run together eventually.lol.
    The little clip on the passenger grip on the left rear door. Hardly adequate for one hanger. Like I said...a minor gripe.
    Back on the road again. Dealer replaced a left front axle seal (I mentioned some driveway spotting), resurfaced the rotors (brakes were pulsing when stopping at higher speeds), installed a new fuel sending unit (gauge now reads full), and even filled the tank up with gas for me for free (told me to come in empty). They needed to keep it overnight and paid for a 2 day rental. Got the servicing for free as part of the deal...the rest was covered by the warranty. Can't complain with this type of service.
    I had to spend about $250 though. Got an Aiwa CDC-mp3 player whose face illumunation matches the color of the instrument panel... does not really fit right thought due to the curvature of the console trim panel. About the wheels, my father has a 96 accent and he might want them since he just got past 100k and is only on his second set of tires since new.
  • abeaughabeaugh Member Posts: 10
    I am getting an elantra gt in mid-december, and will drive it around until dec. 26, when i go out of town. I get back on jan.2, and will then have to drive back up to school in the car. the distance is about 400 miles, and it will be all highway. i am concerned, because i will not be able to get through the break in period before i have to drive up to school. do any of you think this will be a problem, and if so, what can i do to avoid hurting the engine
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Not a problem. Vary your speed when on the highway and make sure you do not use cruise.
  • cehermanceherman Member Posts: 5
    Abeaugh -- I bought my GT in Ohio and had to drive it back to Massachusetts immediately. Basically, I put over 900 miles on it, at highway speeds (65+ mph) within 48 hours of picking it up from the dealer. It ran great the entire trip -- no problems whatsoever. I didn't use the cruise control. Don't worry about your trip.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Do you know why there is a break in procedure?
    It is to allow rings to seat properly and prevent oil consumption later in the life of the motor. The generally accepted procedure is to vary speed, do not over rev or lug the engine, and do not exceed 75-85% of maximum rpm of engine. Sustained hiway speeds during the first 500-1000 miles will give you the greatest probability of having an oil burner.
  • edovidedovid Member Posts: 22
    I may be missing something here. I looked at the NHTSA site and the 2001 Elantra got 4 and 5 stars;the Toyota Corolla, for instance, got 3 and 4.Probably every agency's crash tests will provide different results. Some of us are old enough to remember when our fathers went out to get seatbelts installed in cars they'd been driving for years. There is no such thing as perfect safety. Otherwise, people would never go in their bathrooms or kitchens.
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/ncap.cfm
  • bill_1bill_1 Member Posts: 97
    Actually in general the Elantra seems to be a safe car, unfortunately when offset crash tests were performed, the airbag sensor took too long to deploy the airbag increasing the risk of injury. On the other hand the safety cage of the car did a very good job of maintaining integrity
    While it is a good idea to vary engine speed, it is more important not to stress the engine too much in the first 1000 miles. In my current car, a VW Jetta, almost all the initial miles were Highway miles, but I took it easy. Now 60,000 miles later the engine still is performing well, no sign of burning oil.
  • urbanzephyrurbanzephyr Member Posts: 29
    The video of the elantra iihs crash result is here: http://www.progressive.com/resource_center/crash_videos.htm the iihs press release outlining the testing is here: http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2001/pr071701.htm I also enjoyed this data: http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ictl/ictl_4dr.htm though it's not for the 2001/2 model.
    Well, today I've had the car for about 1 month, just hit 1300 miles. I started my morning drive to work and noticed as I pulled out of the driveway that the speedometer needle was stuck @ 38 mph. It stayed there for 27 miles (although my actual speed varied greatly) when, at a complete stop it all the sudden jumped around and rested on 20 mph (still at a complete stop). So for the next 2 miles to work, it read around 60 mph, when I was riding with traffic in a 30 mph zone. Finally, when I reached my parking lot at work it dropped down to normal and rested on 0 at a complete stop. It has worked for the rest of today, but it seems to be "ticking" to the appropriate speed, instead of the normal smooth glide a needle normally does. Anyway...it's going to the dealership on Monday morning to be looked at. Any one else experience anything like this?

Jill
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    Motorweek just did a review of the Elantra GT. They were very impressed. It may still be airing in some markets or on Speedvision.
  • smoopinssmoopins Member Posts: 4
    I currently have 6200 miles on my 2001 GT and have had the purge valve replaced twice already... Well again last night the check engine light came on. Can anyone explain to me what exactly the purge valve does and what some possible causes for it. I've only had the car two months, granted they're always great about it... but that's not the point... I'm tired of seeing my dealership.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Sorry to hear about your vehicle problem. You may want to also copy/paste your message into our Elantra Owners: Problems & Solutions discussion.

"Can anyone explain to me what exactly the purge valve does..."

Also, here is another discussion where you might get some answers: Auto101: How To and How it Works! Good luck.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
    All the media seems to love the Elantra GT. Road & Track gave it a great review.
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    I really like the car but am having trouble getting past the '88 Excel my parents had. My rule then used to be never drive behind a Hyundai, as they had no pickup.

I know companies change but a guy at work bought a XG300 and two weeks after purchase he was stranded when something or other failed. Not the vote of confidence I was looking for. BTW he also bought a Santa Fe so apparently he likes the brand.

I have yet to see a GT on the road here (pretty major metro area). I'm sure they're out there, got to keep looking.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    If it's any help to you, I've put about 10,500 miles on my GT in just over five months without a single problem. About 80% of those miles were spent in commuter traffic. The GT has met or exceeded our expectations in every respect. My wife and I love the car.

I've recently discovered something about the GT that I really like: the little power boost you get when you wind the engine over 4,000 RPM. That muffler bypass valve opens up and results in a little extra punch. Very handy when passing on congested NJ roads.

By the way, my sister-in-law owns a base 1991 Excel and she has well over 100,000 miles on it. Other than a clutch cable replacement a few months ago she's had no trouble with it. I guess even the older Hyundais turned out to be reliable every now and then.

I've also begun to see a few more GTs on the roads here in the Garden State. My feelings of exclusivity have been diminished. Rats.

Have a happy Thanksgiving, GT owners!
    Actually Motorweek posts alot of their reviews online. I did a search and sure enough here it is : ) (text based of course).

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2111.shtml

There is no doubt about it, the problems that Hyundai had in the 1980s and early 90s are still something they are working to over come. That being said, looking at the different forums these days, I think it would not be a stretch to say that Hundai makes a car as good as any of the domestics.

I am sure if we looked hard enough we could find someone who was stranded by their Camry after just a few weeks of ownerships as well. No car maker is going to get it right every time, the question is, do they get it right often enough so that the car can be considered reliable.
    Drive it and see what you think. I don't think I've ever seen one on the road, either--but I know they are selling. Exclusivity is a good thing--keep 'em guessing! If this and the Elantra sedan threads are any indication, you should not have anything to worry about. I don't know how old you are, but do you remember the Civic CVCC of the 70's? I'm sure there were a ton of people then saying "Never, ever buy any of that Honda crap" who are now driving Hondas themselves. Hyundai has changed, drive it and see.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    and I must say I prefer the lowly cloth seats in my GLS. Wish they offered both trim levels in both body styles. Also, still don't like the rear end light treatment of the GT, GLS is much cleaner IMHO. Do like the Saabesque shape of the GT better, however.
    This afternoon I am going to stuff three passengers in the GT as we drive to watch our beloved Steelers play the Titans.

Normally, three passengers wouldn't be a problem but these guys are: 6'3"/240 lbs, 6'4"/235 lbs and 5'10"/228 lbs.

That's a lot of beef! It'll be interesting to see how we all fit. Is this the kind of scenario auto journalists dream up to test the size of rear accomodations? We'll see...
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You said: "It'll be interesting to see how we all fit."

Yes, please let us know how that works out...! Good luck, and have a great time at the game. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons / Women's Auto Center Boards
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'm also interested in how the suspension will handle all that weight--it must be close to or over the car's load limit.

Hope the Steelers have a great game--THIS week. Next week, I hope they have a down week (Vikings come to Pittsburgh).
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    Well they had a good game this week, so even if you were stuffed in the car it must have been a happy drive home.....bring on the Vikes, I'll be in my seat ready to rumble next Sunday!!
    ...and the GT came through with flying colors. The total weight of the four passengers was 870 lbs., or 20 lbs. OVER the vehicle's load limit. I had the two six-plus footers in the back seat and the 5'10" guys up front. No one complained about the space, which was suprising. The over-loaded GT actually drove well over the broken pavement of Hoboken, NJ. I did not bottom out at all. The car seemed to accelerate normally.

Though I wouldn't advise anyone to carry that much "beef" around in his or her Elantra GT, at least you now know it can be done. And fairly comfortably, to boot.

GO STEELERS!!
    I need your advice, I already own a 2001.5 blue elantra GT auto. Love it, my dad wants to get my mom a hatchback type car to replace her 96 Accent hatch that has over 100k miles on it. We are about to pick up a 2002 Spectra GSX hatch (new look outside). I am having second thoughts about the Kia, and plain dislike the interior. it is too spartan and 80's style for me. Should I advise my father to go with ANOTHER GT auto, this time in RED or CRANBERRY (if the dealer can find one). Or go ahead with the Spectra.
    The hangup i'm having is that it would be a little weird to have 2 GT's in the family garage but the Spectra is just not a looker or a performer on the same level as the GT. I think the GT has spoiled me. ( My father can get both cars at almost the same price maybe 300-500 diffrerential , If that).
    YOur opinion please?
    Just a thought, but I would suspect that the Load Limit of the Elantra, and indeed all cars, is rated a little bit on the conservative side. The Auto Companies know that people are going to try to stuff as much as possible into a car and they want to leave a wide enough margin of safety that a person has to be well over the limit before the car becomes unsafe; that will protect them from liability in an accident involving an overloaded car.
    Personally I don't see why it would be a problem to have two cars of the same type sitting in your driveway. I would think the wise move would be the one your Mom would be happy with.
    I looked at the Spectra (but didn't drive it) when I was car shopping last spring. I thought the GT was a much nicer car overall. The differences in interior materials and fit & finish were readily apparent. If the oddity of having identical cars in your garage can be overcome then by all means choose the Elantra. You'll get more for your money.

On the other hand I don't think the Spectra isn't a bad car, it just doesn't compare well with the Elantra GT. However, if the price was right I would consider the Spectra if I needed a second car (along with the Rio wagon and the Echo). Have you looked at a Rio wagon? It will certainly be less expensive than the Spectra or the GT and is roughly the same size as the Accent. Personally, I think it would be cool if Toyota developed a 5-door or wagon version of the Echo. That car would rock!

Good luck.