Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    see response from mazda:

Currently, Mazda does not offer the Navigational System for your
    vehicle. However, Mazda is working with other vendors to have the
    Navigational System available in near future.

You may be able to purchase this as after-market accessories. However, Mazda can not recommend or guarantee the use or durability of
    after-market products. Also, your manufacturer's warranty will not cover any complications resulting from the installation or use of the
    product.
  • lsinclsinc Member Posts: 270
    a 60 x 40 table or box would easily fit in the MPV. You would have about 1" on either side and of course a good 20" or more from front to back.

Lsinc
  • katdj28katdj28 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry about that--I'm new to chat rooms and keep hitting the return after I type in the title.

I believe I already stated this in my original e-mail but the dealer wouldn't even look at our 2001 MPV so there was no discussion of what the trade-in amount would be. He just said that the price on the 2003 of $21,882 was based on there not being a trade-in and was not good if we wanted to do a trade-in also. Then he stated that he wasn't interested in a trade-in and we were welcome to sell our 2001 ourselves. We walked out at that point and we haven't heard a word from them since. It's no skin off our noses because we really wanted the All Sport package (which the 2003 we looked at didn't have) and we don't want the power sliding doors (which the 2003 did have).

Believe me, we are telling everyone we know about how this dealer treated us!
  • tomj5tomj5 Member Posts: 209
    This was found on the Mazda web site FAQs.

How do I contact Roadside Assistance?
    1999 Millenia & MPV - (800) 955-4929
    2000 & Newer Mazda (all models) - (800) 866-1998
    Certified Pre-owned Vehicles - (800) 627-7797
    Hearing Impaired - (800) 999-9035
  • acedriveracedriver Member Posts: 131
    Thanks for the info. That would make the inner dimensions of the MPV just as good as the 2003 Sienna. When you said 'plywood sheet' did you imply a 4'x8' board ?? If you are going to say 'Yes' then I think I should stop coming to this forum .. you guys are psyching me up to buy the MPV !! :-)

And Oh! Never noticed that 5yr/50K warranty, hmmm!
    hmmmmmmm now I have to go measure again! LOL! Get back to you soon about the plywood. My husband is the one who measured for the plywood. Now I need to check it out. LOL!

Lsinc

P.S. What am I missing? 5yr/50K warranty??? I think it's actually 48 months (4 yrs.)/50K. Sorry to rob you of that additional year!
    ok, here is the plywood scoop. If you keep the second row seats in and fold them, then the plywood will fit. The reason you can't place the plywood on the floor of the van is because of the rear wheel wells. It's just 4 ft. from wheel well to wheel well. Go above them where it gets wider and no problem. The length is short about 5 inches. My husband just brings rope and ties down the rear hatch. My Villager was the same way. But, you can still get a 4 x 8 piece of plywood in the MPV. :)
    Thanks for the info. The MPV is back on my charts again :-) For the past few days, I keep seeing lot of MPVs on the road (This was never the case before) !! With all the rebates going on and the willingness of the Mazda dealers to "deal", MPV is looking good.

But I will still wait for the 04 Nissan Quest. Then the race will be on between 04 Quest, Sienna and MPV (Sedona has dropped from the race)
    Cool! You should always keep your options opened and do your homework! I too had considered the Sienna (looks nice), the new Quest (don't know anything about it) and the Sedona (questionable). Obviously, the MPV won!

I've been over in the Chevy Venture site causing trouble. Can you tell I have way too much time on my hands! LOL!

Lsinc (AKA: Trouble Maker)
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    They have enough problems by virtue of being Chevy owners.
    but that takes away all of my fun! Besides, they pick on me right back!!! LOL!

Trouble Maker
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    We have an 01 LX with 30k miles. It has been very reliable. A nice van. When researching vans keep this in mind,the resale value on the MPV is not nearly as good as the ODY or even the Sienna. Factor this into your total cost to own equation. The other thing is the transmission. The 2001 was not the best,kind of rough,always hunting for the right gear. The MPV is dependable right up there with the Sienna and ahead of the ODY. It handles better than most and has the roll down rear windows and looks great. Just don't forget to look at everything when choosing a van. (and what is with the lack of a power lock switch on the passenger door?)
    Yes, but don't you think that part of the resale issue on the '00, '01 models is due to the bad rap the 2.5 engine received? When we figured cost to own into our equation, it was hard to figure in the resale due to the different engine and tranny in our '03 LX. Also, it wasn't too much of an issue since my husband said I have to drive our MPV until my youngest, age 7, starts college! I had to sign in blood on the dotted line that I wouldn't buy another car for 10 yrs. ;o )

Since I always use the remote to lock and unlock my MPV, I never noticed that the switch wasn't on the passenger side door. To some that's an issue, but I guess it wasn't a big deal to me.

Lsinc
    MPV makes a lot of sense it you own to its death.

it does not if you plan to trade-in or sell sooner to buy something else.

Even 3.0 loses a lot of value even after considering the below- MSRP price that we pay.

My 2002 ES - I paid 23.5 vs MSRP of 27, i bet i can't sell it for more than 20 or 21.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    OMG... resale value. What other Japanese marque has resale values remotely close to Honda or Toyota (Acura and Lexus don't count...)? I don't think it's the MPV persay, than the marque.

Resale value is useless, unless you live in a bubble. If you really care about the numbers, you need to look at real world TCO (not based on MRSP, but on actual sale price). So...

After (almost) four years of ownership of my 2000MPV, I owe about $9k on it (fom a sale price of $23k), have paid $16,146, and the van's trade-in value is about $12k (per Edmunds), conservatively. So, in my twisted way of thinking, TCO has been $9,146. The 'other' van would've sold for $28k, I'd owe $11k after 46 payments totalling $20,378, and have a trade-in value of $15k (per Edmunds). This would've cost me $16,378. I'm assuming insurance and fuel costs to be similar... and negating the documented fact that the MPV is more reliable than the 'other' van. ;)

Useless resale value aside, am I just crazy thinking my MPV cost my $5,200 fewer of my hard-earned clams? Where is the cost advantage, again?

Maybe my math is incorrect?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The MPV comes with two remotes so I don't really care.

May I ask why it becomes an issue for you?
    so, what is your point ?
    MPV makes sense or not ?
    My point is: The MPV makes sense for me, from a cost, versatility, reliability and styling standpoint. However, it may make less sense for others, depending on their point of view, which is totally fine.

My point is: what actually matters, if you truly care about residual value, is how much the car actually cost you over N-yrs. So what if a Honda retains 65% of it's MSRP while an MPV retains 45% of MSRP after N-yrs.

My point is: If you are only planning on having a vehicle (any vehicle) for two years, you should lease it. Less hassle, no worrying about <sarcasm warning> "Oh my! Why did I buy this car? It has such poor resale value! What was I thinking? What will I ever do? Why doesn't it have a blown 4.6L V8 (whoops, that's an Evil-Ford motor!!!) under the hood and hot cocoa dispensers when everyone else does?" </sarcasm>

My point is: look at selling prices and not MSRP, what you pay over the timespan of ownership and how much cash that you have in-hand after selling the vehicle. An Ody, for instance, will cost you ultimately more over 4yrs, even w/a higher resale value (in my way of thinking, anyway)... so, in my book, the resale value doesn't matter so very much... it's how many of my dollars went to the winds during ownership. If the difference in value makes a material difference to you, then us that in your decision, but don't just use wrought "Resale Value" steer the decision's course, like in a herd.

My point is: You want a good resale value? Go buy a Lexus. If you want to own something which you like, then buy something which you like, and quit lamenting your decision. Live, enjoy things. :-)

If you want to see dismal resale value, buy a Dodge or Chevy, or Kia minivan. I'm fairly certain that people who buy those are more concerned with using and enjoying their purchase than worrying about how much they'll get for resale value in a few years.

Don't you guys just love it when I come in here and stir the pot? image
    wanna buy a watch?
    Good Point! All of them! ;)

Lsinc
    Can someone clue me in on the latest and greatest incentives for the MPV? I was fairly certain there was a $2000 rebate through May... but maybe it's Factory-to-Dealer and that's why I'm not seeing it. The only thing I'm seeing right now is 0% for 36mths. Is there anything else out there?
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Nice diatribe there Java ... I like it!

Yes, inquiring minds what to know about the $2K incentive especially down here in southern FL. Without it, well, I'm all washed up because of RESALE VALUE! lol .... :-)
    Don't think you can leave this forum for another one and just come right back in and get some love. hehehe
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Didn't we have a running bet about whether the May incentives would match the April ones?

Anyone know the scoop? If I weren't fried, I'd check the incentives link :-)

Steve, Host
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    ... at least that's what another website that shall remain nameless is advertising (thanks to subearu for the tip!).

Malt - I don't want love, just money :D
    According to Steve's Link above there are no rebates for May just low apr for loans. At least in my region..
    I paid for my MPV in April and got the 2K rebate. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!! The car is due this week..

Thank Goodness for Edmunds!!!!!!!
    Overall Edmunds has saved me about 7000 Bucks...

TJ
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Even AutoSite and a couple of others mention the rebate expired 4/30. But, http://www.carsdirect.com shows a rebate, even for Beach's neck of the woods.

Dealer cash, perhaps now, instead of 'consumer' cash?

-Brian
    Are hard to keep track of around here for some reason.

Tomj5, I gotta figure out a way to get a cut of that action :-)

Steve, Host
  • chisfu1chisfu1 Member Posts: 25
    I don't think resale value is a very important issue while we are picking the car you like!

First, the actual $$$ you buy the car right now is much much more important than the percentage of depreciation you're going to deal with in the future. For example, if you pay $70,000 for a Lexus, after 4 years, you may get $35,000 back, how much you're going to lose... $35,000, right? For a Mazda MPV, you may pay $27,000 for the top of line ES with every toys on it, after 4 years, you may get back $12,000, how much you're going to lose... $15,000, right? The percentage shows Lexus has a higher resale value of 50% and the Mazda has a lower resale value of 44%, but it doesn't mean you are better off for losing $35000 than losing $15000. These example may be too extreme but it happens to me personally in reality! My advice is look at the actual dollars rather than the percentage which means nothing in real life!

Second, most buyers of the MPV is getting around $4000-4500 off of the MSRP right now, and you can get around $1000-$1500 discount on the Honda Odys, or around $500-$1000 discount on the Toyota Siennas. Remember, those are the actual dollars you are going to save right now, not the future value a few years later when you sell the van, the initial saving may lead you to get more money by investing on something else. And remember, you always have to earn more than one dollar in order to spend a dollar (tax issue)!

Finally, just pick the car you like the most within your budget! I think MPV is a very good choice since it is the most reliable van in the United States, Toyota Sienna was the best but history tell us first year model usually have recalls and bugs in it, Odys is ranked the fourth behind Toyota, Mazda and Mercury in terms of reliability issue! And MPV is the only van made in Japan, where the workers are more serious about quality control issue than the people in the North America. So I believe MPV is the most reliable van in the market place right now! The major drawbacks on the MPV are:

1. The space may not be big enough for some people!

2. The transmission is a little bit jerky when going uphill during slow speeds, I can feel it's almost running of stream.

3. Some control buttons are not perfect, like the gear shifter is blocking the air controls.

4. Some features are not available like homelink, heated leather seats, power liftgate, cassette player, all wheel drive, day time running light and auto-off headlight, even on the top of the line ES I got, it doesn't have those features!

As there is no perfect car in the world just like no perfect human beings!
    I try to "drive 'em forever" so resale isn't a big issue for me. However, if I got hit and my van was totalled, I'm not going to be too happy with what the adjuster is going to offer in payment of "fair market value."

Stay safe out there!

Steve, Host
  • jwtotojwtoto Member Posts: 11
    I am new to this board so please excuse my lack of knowledge about protocol.
       Is there anyone here who has experimented with the traction control system in terms of gas mileage, road handling, emergency stopping, or rear end sliding? I am wondering if there is a need to ever use the traction control off switch or should I just leave it on all the time. Does anyone know if using it can prematurely wear out any components?
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Yes it is a very minor issue. My point is this. If I am driving with the wife and kids and I leave the car to run in the store,then my wife wants to lock all the locks and she cannot,unless she gets her keys from her purse and uses the remote. Also, unless I choose to carry an extra remote for her van (which I do now), if I go through the passenger door to get something or check to see if the van is locked while on the passenger side the only way to lock all the doors is to walk over to the drivers door and use the lock switch. Again a minor issue,but why is it that every other vehicle on the planet over $20k has one but not the MPV? What has my life come to?
    It only is used when it's needed. So, leaving it 'ON' all the time should be fine. But, having it 'OFF' won't break the system either. You won't notice it in dry conditions, but perhaps try it out on a wet road and feel what the TCS does ON or OFF. That way you're use to it.

The TCS only limits the amount of power the front wheels get while accelerating. During braking, ABS is what will control the wheels from locking up.

-Brian
    I have Traction Control on my '03. I never shut it off. It only comes on when needed. I will tell you that when I first purchased my MPV 2 months ago, we went up to my sisters in MA. We had just had a snow storm a few days earlier. My brother in law was test driving my MPV with my husband in the car. They started to slide off the road. My brother in law was very impressed with how the traction control kicked in and he was able to pull the van back to the road. I on the other hand, was happy I wasn't in the car when this happened! :)

I can also tell you that my sisters driveway is AWFUL! It's basically uphill and non paved. During that same storm, I was able to get up into the driveway without too much difficulty. The thing to remember with TC is that you have to let it do it's job. I kept taking my foot off the excellerator and putting on the break. Once I got the hang of it, I really like having it.

I haven't played with shutting it off to see if my gas mileage would improve. What has helped is mid grade gas. I have been averaging 21 to 22 MPG around town and just under 26 MPG on a trip. When we first got our MPV, it had 10 miles on it. Our first trip came up to 18 MPG. My husband wasn't concerned as he felt the engine was still breaking in. He was right, the MPG has been climbing.

Good Luck! :)

Lsinc
    1. The space may not be big enough for some people!

My 6'2" friend rode in the third seat with my daughter and his son. He said he had plenty of head room (one of his biggest complaints) and ample leg room.

2. The transmission is a little bit jerky when going uphill during slow speeds, I can feel it's almost running of stream.

That's interesting, I have never noticed my tranny being jerky going uphill at slow speeds. As a matter of fact, I've never noticed it to be jerky in any situation. It's very smooth.

3. Some control buttons are not perfect, like the gear shifter is blocking the air controls.

You mean the 10 ft. long gear shifter? Yeah, it's a bit of a nuisance and I'm trying to figure out why they made it so long?

4. Some features are not available like homelink, heated leather seats, power liftgate, cassette player, all wheel drive, day time running light and auto-off headlight, even on the top of the line ES I got, it doesn't have those features!

Let's see, homelink I probably wouldn't go for. Even if the vehicle has it, don't you have to pay monthly for the service? I don't know much aboutit.

Heated leather seats scare me. I've heard of a few fires. That's just me of course and it would be a nice option for those who want it.

Cassette player is an available option. I have the 6 CD changer so I don't miss the cassette player. Again, that's just me.

AWD I have heard is available in Japan and just hasn't hit the US yet. Someone on one of the Mazda boards stated this info. Of course, being in Japan doesn't do us any good but just thought I'd throw that in. ;)

Power liftgate would be nice. On the same token, it's not that big of a deal. I love the auto power doors though.

I had the daytime running lights on my Olds. Cutlass and got a break on my insurance. I will say though that at Christmas time when we wanted to drive through the living nativity, we had to take my husbands car because we couldn't shut off the headlights without shutting off the car. It is a nice option and frankly I think it's safer. You are more visible. Especially cars that are light in color and would be harder to see. i.e. I have the Silver Sand Metallic and it's harder to see during the day.

Just my 2 Cents. But your right, Nothing is perfect.

Lsinc
    Somehow, I prefer the shifter being on/below the dash (aka 2004 Sienna, 2004 Quest, Sedona). I am going to miss these days : driving with one hand on the steering wheel and one on the floor mounted stick-shifter :-)
    Thanks Isinc and Subearu for your replies. You've confirmed my hunches. Still one more question remains: why is the TCS able to be shut off? Under what circumstances would one want to disable it?
    From the '02 MPV owner's manual:

Page 5-18:
    When TCS is on and you attempt to free the vehicle when it is stuck, or drive it out of freshly fallen snow, the TCS will activate. Depressing the accelerator will not increase engine power and freeing the vehicle may be difficult. When this happen, turn off the TCS.

Page 5-16:
    The Traction Control System (TCS) enhances traction and safety by regulating engine torque. When the TCS detects driving wheel slippage, it lowers engine torque to prevent loss of traction.

-Brian
    Would you like a little cheese to go with that whine? ;) Actually, the gear shifter is so long on the MPV you can rest your right arm over it and keep your left hand on the wheel. =o )

My husband went unwillingly from a 5 speed subaru to an automatic subaru (long story). He misses shifting those gears so much that he actually shifts his automatic from 2nd to drive and back again! What is it with guys and shifters?? Ok, maybe don't answer that! I don't really need to know.

Lsinc slinks away in total embarassment!
    While the MPV is small in stature, it carries a big stick.
    Expected deletion time: 8:10pm EST
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    I have a homelink system in my Jeep. It's not a monthly service, but you do have to spend some time setting it up at first. It works kinda like a learning remote control--for your garage door.
  • mnthomasmnthomas Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks! Your discussions helped us pick out our '03 MPV LX. It's great! I've been trying to find out about Mazda factory daytime running lights. I've seen internet postings at Miata.net concerning the Mazda DRL module and how to install it on a Miata. My local dealer (Minnesota) can get the part for our MPV, but doesn't guarantee I have the right wiring harness to install. Has anyone out there done this? I'm looking for instructions. I'm trying to do this myself, as it's been described as a pretty simple change.
    Well, I got the best of both worlds when we got our Passat a couple of years back with the Tiptronic tranny : Auto when you don't want to, Manual when you want to. Two notches, no clutch, no waiting. Row your own gears and rest your legs :-)

Well, if there is no floor mounted shifter, where do I keep my right hand while driving ?? Ummm .. let's see on the steering for 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock position ?? Naah! That's just for winter driving !! So, I will think about resting my hand on MPV's shifter and see how it flies with me.

Funny: I have not taken a test drive yet :-)
    Our MPV arrived yesterday. Shipping time was 11 weeks to the day. Very impressed with dealer service.
    Here are my first impressions at 6.5 miles on the ODO:
    1. The front end is heavy, but the suspension is very good. It handles intersection dips easily.
    2. There is a very slight "rumble" feel in the steering. Most would not notice it.
    3. There is no "cushion" in the Dunlop tires. They feel like hard plastic. (35lbs) The Dunlops will be replaced with Michelins.
    4.Engine power is excellent. Smooth throttle response. I feel like I could "burn" rubber if I wished.
    5. Tranny shifts smooth as butter in all gears.
    6. Basic radio works good. The shifter doesn't interfere with radio. Note: this is not a "music" radio. Speakers are not good quality, but ok for my talk shows and news. The controls work great and very handy.
    7. The LX seat covers are not good. We are having the front seats redone in leather.
    8. The hitch is a neat installation. There is a "logic" box with independent power and sensors to the car lights. The trailer lights cannot "knock out" the car lights. Order this from the factory. It would be extremely difficult to add later.
    9. The dealer pointed out a danger with the rear seat. Do not put your fingers in the "loops" that are the retract controls. You could break your arm if the seat slams down with your fingers caught.
    Childern should never retract the seat.
    10. The side doors slide easily and the safety locks work great.
    11. I love the dash controls and gauges and speedo are easy to see at night.
    12. The ac will freeze you on high. It is 100 degrees here.
    13. The 4 seasons rear air/heat works great.
    14. The auto rearview mirror is great. It draws power from the car. Order it with the car. It would be hard to add later.
    Overall impression: I LOVE IT!!!!. This is my ninth new car and it is the best!!!
    More info will be forth coming...
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    when discussing re-sale value it is important to look at purchase costs... If something has a big incentive (i.e. $2000 rebate) the resale value will reflect that. If a car is selling at MSRP it will reflect it also, with a higher resale value. But, the important number is "cost of ownership" Example....one year ago joe blow buys a 2002 MPV-LX for $19,999 (which was a common LX price with rebates/incentives) he drives it 12,000 miles and wants to trade it. Auction value on this van right now is $14,000. The cost to the customer to drive the MPV was $6000.

A 2002 Oddy-lx was around 25K with no discounts and a long wait a year ago. The same unit is selling at the auctions around here at $19,000. The cost to the customer to drive the ody is apx $6000...same as the MPV

So remember....re-sale values alone don't tell the whole story!!!
    Great post.

I do worry about Joe's uncle who bought a car the week before a $2,000 incentive kicked in. His TCO just took a hit.

Steve, Host
  • bottgersbottgers Member Posts: 2,030
    Do you mean yours came in 11 weeks after you ordered it? I hope you don't mean it took 11 weeks for them to ship it here after it was built.

I contacted my salesman yesterday about our MPV. It was originally scheduled for an early May build date, and as of yesterday, it still hadn't been built. The delays have started already. The 9-12 weeks I was told it would take to arrive after I ordered it would've made for a late May or early June delivery date. It already looks like that isn't going to happen. I still have a bit of a cushion before I have to turn in my leased vehicle, but that cushion has already started to disappear.
  • edle777edle777 Member Posts: 19
    Owned it about 2.5 weeks now, got about 1000 miles on it. General impressions:

Pluses:
    - very well put together; no rattles or squeaks, fit and finish are near perfect
    - very good acceleration; more than adequate for the highways
    - very maneouverable; I like what the stiff suspension does for its handling (my friend's Windstar is like driving a boat!)
    - very roomy; more than enough for our family of four
    - very comfy front seats; I esp. like the seat height adjustments
    - love the sliding 2nd row seats
    - love the 3rd row seat; easy as pie to fold down and put back up
    - it's the best looking MV out there!!!

Minuses:
    - tranny not very smooth, esp. at varying city speeds; gear shifts are noticable
    - fuel economy could be better considering its smaller size
    - the passenger side 2nd row seat doesn't slide as close to the door as possible (the driver side seat is closer); this makes the walkthough to the 3rd row narrower
    - uncomfortable 3rd row; too low and hard (but who cares, my family will never be back there, only guests, LOL)
    - a minor point: the shifter blocks some of the HVAC controls

By no means a complete list of observations, just the things I can think of right this minute.
    Overall, we love it. Definitely should be on the short list of people who don't need the room of an Ody or Sienna.
    Does anyone have these on their MVP? If so do you think that they are worth having. It is an optional item but I've yet to see one so equipped. I'm thinking about getting some from the dealer and installing them.