Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    congrats on your new GT... if you dont mind i'd like to ask why you traded in a 2 year old car on a car you could have gotten that year... ( i got my GT in august of 01) i was also interested in an ECHO when It came out but was turned away by its lack of features and value... just wondering what decisions are involved in trading in such a recent purchase...
  • jrs333jrs333 Member Posts: 10
    Sorry for the much delayed reply...haven't had too much time to check the boards :)

harlequin1971, thanks for the response & information. I suppose I was not very clear regarding the Santa Fe. To make a long story short, it was my *wife* who's looking for an SUV...and after our "layover" she wasn't so sure that she wanted to "go Hyundai."

As you stated, what happened to us turned out to be little more than an inconvenience. I think what got her worried was if we ended up on the side of the highway. I know...that's what the Roadside Assistance & Warranty is for :-)

I don't want to be misinterpreted -- I LOVE my GT! Best car I've owned hands down. While I was originally concerned, I'm not doubting the GTs reliability -- or Hyundai's, for that matter (I've owned 2). We'll see if anything else comes up in another 10K. Right now I couldn't be happier.

The only "trumping" I got from my wife was that her 12 year old Accord (140K miles) has been virtually trouble free with regular maintenance. But I'm not concerned. She's remarked several times about how nice the Santa Fe looks, and I still think a test-drive might win her over yet.

Hope this rambling clears up any concerns. Thanks again!
  • kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    I actually bought my ECHO in December of '00. I was shopping the Elantra and the ECHO then. I liked the Elantra a lot BUT was not sure about buying the first year model(Elantra) and the ECHO has a more comfortable back seat. Because the seats in the ECHO are so high, there's a lot of thigh support and toe room for the rear passengers.
    Anyway, right after I bought my ECHO, the GT came out! :p I rarely see them and I always liked them. The rear profile is especially pleasing to me and a guy in an older BMW 3 series was eyeing my car tonight at the light.
    Don't get me wrong, I loved my ECHO! It's just that I will need to be able to move all my stuff across country soon and the GT looks to be a great snow car with heated mirrors and rear wiper.
    So far, I LOVE this car! It FEELS much more expensive than it is and is rock solid with no rattles, squeaks, or noises! I have to remind myself that it costs not much more than my old ECHO!
  • elantramanelantraman Member Posts: 24
    I have had my GT for almost a year now 9.5K miles.
    My son drives it to school 4 miles round trip most days. Positive - smooth ride, good acceleration, comfortable seating, manueverable, easy to clean, reasonably quiet, nice looking, value for money, love fog lights and sunroof.
    Negative - Poor stereo, had warped front rotors replaced (Covered under warranty by dealer)
    So far I am very pleased.
    On the subject of MPG, Everyone drives differently, on different roads at different speeds etc. etc. When most of the driving is back and forth to school, the MPG is about 17. When it is driven on further round town trips, MPG is 22 or so. Live near Pittsburgh, so there is a lot of stop and go, hills winding roads etc. Not the best conditions for high gas mileage. When I take it on the highway, I get up to 35 mpg.
  • pedennisonpedennison Member Posts: 21
    I have a 2001 Cardinal Red GT, 27.5K, 2 years old in May. Only two problems so far. My dealer had to replace the stereo 3 times to get one that worked. The latest one has been working fine for the last 15K miles. My other problem was dealer caused - the service manager had an accident in my car while moving it when I went in for my last oil change. The front bumper and one of the headlights had to be replaced. To add insult to injury, the body shop the dealer used screwed up the paint on the hood and let a cat into my car. Needless to say, I won't be going back there for an oil change.
  • pedennisonpedennison Member Posts: 21
    GT owners who have replaced your tires - what did you put on your GT, and have you been happy with them?
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I am sneaking in a response here, since I am driving a GLS. I have read in a couple of places that the Dunlop Sport A2 (I think that's the name) is a good replacement choice. I have always had very good luck with Michelins; this is my eighth set over many years and several cars. But I will choose the Dunlops next. They cost less as well, a bonus.
  • harlequin1971harlequin1971 Member Posts: 278
    I certainly didn't mean to sound preachy...but I do read alot of different threads, and find it interesting that on some threads, the reliability card is played a lot harder than on others.

VW is currently in this vortex, if ya ask me.

I certainly wouldn't want to be stranded by a new, or used, car on the side of the road...especially on a long trip somewhere...but as long as it is once, and not an every other month type occurance, I think I could deal with it.

I guess I just get the feeling that Hyundai owners and detractors are hyper-sensitive to the reliability factor of the cars, which makes sense given their history.

Right now, I am sitting firmly on the fence, trying to come to terms with my next car decision.

more on next post...and would love a little "validation." :)
    ok, here is my dilemma..which I bring to you all, since I think you represent well-informed and realistic buyers...

I currently own a BMW 318ti 5-spd. I bought it three years ago (it is a '95 with 75k miles) from a private seller and have very had few problems with it...except those I brought to myself.

The window regulator did fail this winter, but now that I am in AZ, a stuck window isn't the major problem that it would have been in Minnesota. It is making a wheezing noise from the belt area upon cold starts that goes away...so I know that something isn't working smoothly ATM. I blew out the clutch last year (totally my fault) and had to do a break pad replacement. But that is the full list. It will need new tires by summer's end.

I came very, very close to pulling the trigger on a '03 Volvo S40...but financing just hasn't been very good for me. (Two years of light employment has killed my credit.) I am considering returning to school to pursue a Master's degree to help stabilize me in my new job and increase my potential...

So, here are my current options:

Keep the 318. Mileage is low, the car is solid, and it is distinctive, and rather rare on the roads. Downsides are the rather low mpg (24-25) on premium fuel (89 oct) for a 138hp I-4 car; the potential of racking up major repair bills as the car continues to age (shocks, struts, tires, brakes, timing belt, etc.); it is black, and thus super hot on an AZ summer day. I still carry another 14 months on my loan, and although I could accelerate the payments a little, if I go back to school...it will be near impossible to get it payed off faster.

Buy a GT-Hatch. I like the styling, the low price, the high content, and the decent milage. I don't like the general power of the engine (though I didn't drive the 5spd) and the auto. I would like to avoid the manual, as shifting in heavy traffic kills my knees and makes my back stiffen up. Nothing close to the GT's price excites me enough to drag me away from the Hyandai value-equation.

Buy a Volvo S40. Discounts drops this $25k car to $19.9k and brings with a solid amount of Volvo safety features. I have always liked the 40-series, and the ownership would be long term if the car doesn't become a lemon.

Buy a Mazda 6i. The I-4 is snappy in this car, I like the styling, and it can be had under $20k. I drove one, and liked it, but would rather have the Volvo at $20k than the Mazda.

Buy a used VW Jetta. Reliability scares me some, and the me-too character of the Jetta. Now that all the cool kids have one, it has lost a little luster to me. Still think it is a nice mix of comfort, performance, and luxury in a pretty package...resale is falling, so a lightly used Jetta with a remainder warranty can be had cheap enough.

Wait and buy a '05 Mustang. Yikes, an American car! The new Mustang retro-style has me looking twice, three times, and once again at the prancing horse that awaits release next year. A V6 version should be sub-20k and since I am not overly concerned with stop-light racing, I would stop there. I just love the looks of this thing. Someone help me.

Buy a close-out '03 WRX wagon around $21k. Financing could be a problem...the next 12-24 months could be hairy, but the car would be a long-term investment, scary fast and a personal dream machine. Now that they are dropping their pants on the "old" model...it is barely within reach.

I hate making this decision. Money is tight right now, and I am only 4 months into my new job, so I have been fixing my credit, but still under the dark clouds of my past issues. If I go back to school, I will stay emplyed (school part-time). I want a new car to avoid potentially wallet-squeezing problems (warranty is better than no warranty) but am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on my current car. Insurance is lower for a new car (more safety features), even the WRX. I just keep rolling it around and around...

I will likely buy the GT and be fairly happy, but I keep wanting just a little bit more.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    2 cents: if you can spare the money, I'd go with the 6i--a great, fun car and should be very reliable. If you would rather not spend all that money, I'd go with the Elantra GT--IMO the best car available for its price.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Since I just came out of a big mistake, took a big loss, and went through the same thought process, maybe I can help your decision process.

Look at it this way: Can you see yourself being happy with the Elantra for more than 3 years assuming it remains problem free? Would settling for the Elantra and than running into a few problems make you hate the car and your decision or could you handle it?

My suggestion is buy what really gets your heart going and grabs your attention. Don't settle for something just because it is cheaper. I made that mistake 8 months ago. I bought an 03 Suzuki Aerio SX because I loved the performance potential of the engine, long list of standard features, roomy and comfortable interior, and the supposed "Japanese" build quality available for such an attractive price. It wasn't the sexiest looking car around and really didn't make me feel excited about it, but the price caught my eye. I really wanted the 03 Hyundai Tiburon GT but was afraid of the monthly payment because I had just started a new position and wasn't sure I would like it. So I settled for the Aerio for 5 grand less and thought I got a great value, until things took a turn for the worse and I ran into lots of little annoying things. I got so annoyed with the car I ended up trading the darn thing in on the car I originally wanted and lost a lot of money in the process. The Tiburon is straining my budget some, but for once, I'm finally happy with my car and feel it's worth every penny. Learn from my mistake and buy what your heart tells you as long as you think you can afford it.

Just a few personal opinions on the cars you mentioned:

The Volvo S40 is a nice car but not really any safer than the Civic or Impreza. The platform it is built on dates all the way back to 1996 and 00-01 models were very problematic. Volvo's quality isn't the greatest so your chances of running into problems is higher. But it sounds like you like this car more for some reason so it might need to stay higher on your "if" list.

The Mazda 6i is a great choice. It looks good and has good handling. Reliability should be good, but some Ford content might cause concern. But it sounds like you wouldn't be completely happy with it...

A used Jetta is not a good choice. I love VW but I must admit their quality has been lacking in recent years, especially in the Jetta. Your chances of out of warranty repairs is just at high as with your BMW so you don't really gain anything. Again, it sounds like you wouldn't be completely happy with this car and might regret it if it runs into the problems you are currently scared of.

The Elantra GT is a great value and a nice car. Quality and reliability appears to be good in this car. You seem like you would like the car. Just make sure you can see yourself happy with it for more than a few years.

The 05 Mustang seems to really have your attention. This might be the car you need to buy as it sounds like you would be extremely excited to own it. If you think you want this car without seeing the final production version, I would stick with the BMW until it comes out. If you take good care of the 318, the car should last long enough with minimal problems. I mean, it does only have 75k and BMW is capable of making cars that last longer than that. Just set a little money aside each month for possible car repairs and you will be fine.

Well, hopefully my comments help you out some. Good luck on your decision!!
    and keep it coming...

I keep trying to decide, and going back and forth. My BMW is fine, but has the potential to become expensive at any moment (age is a bigger factor than milage) and is at the peak moment to get the highest dollar for it, before its age over=rides the low mileage...so I keep thinking of letting go.

I would love to hold another couple of years, and might do it (1-series and Mustang both arriving in '05) but the thought of a new Elantra is appealing, price/features/etc.

Like I said, I drove an auto, and wasn't very happy with the performance of the engine or the auto...especially with the AC engaged, and this is AZ after all. Have read that the manual drives much better, but then I am back in a self-shifter...hence the fence sitting. A smoother auto would have had me in a GT months ago.

I do like the looks of the GT in hatch form, could be a very pleasant ownership experience...but I did want to invest in a 8-10 year car cycle with the next purchase, and I don't see myself happy with the GT for 8 years, given my car addictions...arghhhh...lol.

The light resale gives me some pause, but considering that resale is based on MSRP and not the real buyer price, I think Elantras actually do ok, if bought at discount.

I need to find a dealer with a 5-speed and just get it over with...drive it, buy it or move on.
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Supposedly, from what I've heard, the Elantra's Beta engine is supposed to get variable valve timing next year, which shoudl give it a horsepower/torque jump. I think it was 143 hp @ 6000 RPM and 135 ft/lbs. torque @ 4500 RPM.

Dunno if I can post the link I found it at since, they have a message board too, but do a Yahoo search on "Elantra Variable Timing Korea" and it should come up. There's other revisions too.

Lesee, new front grille, aluminum dash trim, clear taillight lenses. I hate aluminum trim and clear tailight lenses, but I can always get a fake wood trim kit for the dash. DOn't know what to do about the tail light lenses though.

This is a good thing for me, since I can't afford my GT until next year anyway. :)
    It's amazing how different the Elantra drives with a 5-spd. compared to the auto. I've driven both. My Mom's Elantra GL has the auto. and I really didn't like the sound/feel of the engine but loved everything else. My GT has the 5-spd. and I LOVE it! I don't mind shifting in heavy traffic and really transforms the character of the car. I rushed to get mine as I did not care for the styling updates for the '04 model that have been posted here. Aside from a really poor quality rear speaker and questionable quality black body trim outside, this car feels like it should be $20k!
    I don't mind shifting gears...in fact, I like it, most of the time.

But my experience tells me a few things, mostly that I am not a great self-shifter...as I have replaced a clutch within 60k miles of every manual I have owned. (VW Rabbit, Saab 900, BMW 318)

I also have some issues with my legs getting stiff from the clutchwork in stop and go traffic.

About 6 years ago, I bought a Honda Civic with the CVT transmission. And while not perfect (laggy pickup from standstill, shuddered into "drive" when cold) it was very smooth when driving, and I got very used to never feeling that lurch of gears changing that is common place in every normal auto, and more so in a manual.

When I left the Civic behind, I bought the BMW. Very smooth, for a 5-speed, but nothing like the simplisitic driving style of the Honda. For the first two months or so, it was a pleasant change. Then I found myself in heavier traffic and winter set in. Oi Vey, I found myself missing the simple gas and go approach of the Civic. I still liked my BMW, but the driving became more of a chore. I still feel like, in heavy traffic, that a 5-speed is fun to drive for about the first 10-15 minutes, and a pain after that.

It works that I rarely have more than a 15 minutes commute these days, but things change, so I had decided to go back to an auto and leave the "driving" to the computer.

That is one of the things that made the Volvo S40 an intriging choice. From my test drives, that auto is very good, smooth transitions, adaptive feel that gets better as you learn the car.

I have driven my roomie's V6 Sonata with the auto, and unless you go the auto-manual route, that auto is clunky and jerky. It feels very lagged to driver input, where the S40 felt almost intuitive and anticipatory in its shifts and gear selections. Lexus IS300 is a similar experience, so I have heard.

Most autos in the market are poor trade-offs. The Elantra is certainly not a great auto...and I would have been suprised if it was, given my experience with the Sonata. I think low power engines should just go with a CVT trannie and call it good. A good CVT will hold your engine at max power under heavy acceleration, and max economy when you are cruising.

I say too much...

Some cars just force the choice on you. If I buy an Elantra, I don't see myself not getting the 5-speed. The 6i auto was plenty smooth. The Volvo S40 is smooth. The VW is decent (better than the rubbery manual). The Subaru would be a 5-spd, as would a Mustang.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    something u said a few post back make me wonder . you said something about a car being an investment . if u buy cars that way u will be a poor man lol .i would never think of an everyday car as an investment .if you do you are gonna loose money almost everytime . i don't wanna turn this into a resale bs trip so lets leave it at that . but you need to decide what YOU want . all those cars are very nice , even the vw but i would never get one used , but if you don't like it you will take a bath selling it in 2 years nomatter what you get . so drive them all a couple times . even if you can rent each for a week . the money spent to rent will be good money spent . i own a elantra gt 5speed and haven't had second thoughts on the car yet .it has been a great car and the few small things that have gone wrong we taken car of by dealer on oil changes .bang for the buck you can't go wrong in my mind . stop and go can be ugly but if you learn how to drive it and "creep" you can keep it in 2nd for a long time . its all about how you drive in stop and go trafic . but good luck on what you get just make sure it is what YOU want .
  • slothropslothrop Member Posts: 5
    My job has been in Taiwan and my car back in the US--but the countdown has begun. The GT has sat outside, driven only a couple times a month, since July! Any suggestions on what to do, if anything, beyond changing the oil once I get home?

As to Harlequin's dilemma, I have to say I went from a Saab non-turbo to the GT and am very happy with the 5 speed's performance and GT's utility in general. And if you're hard on clutches, you have the 10yr/100k warranty with Hyundai. The other cars are nice but if money is tight, you'll still enjoy the GT. I know it's hard to settle down for the long-term (I'm that way with bicycles) but my advice is that the GT should keep you satisfied for a while and be very economical. By the time you get it paid off, which will be 18+ months faster than the Mazda, it can be a fine family car (am guessing you're single) should that enter the picture, a fine commuter car, grocery-getter, and just a reliable 2nd car--then you can get that WRX, or S2000, or Mustang, practicality be damned!
    that is one of my favorite exercises...buy the GT, pay it off, then buy something totally impractical...

Thanks all for the thoughtful inputs.
  • compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    Wow, harlequin1971, you do go through some clutches. Mine usually last until at least 120,000 miles. My trick is that everytime I am stopped (e.g., traffic light), I take my foot off the clutch and wait. When the light turns green, I engage the clutch and drive on.

I have heard from a couple of mechanics that the longer you keep the clutch engaged, the quicker it wears. I don't know if it's true, but it seems to have worked for me and my 5-speeds.

Just a suggestion.
    I don't know if this has been discussed here yet, but does anyone know why Hyundai put that black plastic cover over the engine? To me it only seems to serve a cosmetic purpose, to cover engine parts, wires, etc.

It seems like this would make the engine run a bit hotter, so I have removed mine and have it stored in my garage just in case.

Anyone know anything about this engine cover's purpose?
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    From reading other Hyundai enthusiast sites, I gather the the engine cover is one of the first things to go when modifying the car. It seems to be a mostly cosmetic piece.

I've left mine as is, so far. Partially because I like the way it looks, but partially because I'm running out of room to store Hyundai parts in my garage. I've got labeled boxes with original floormats, the rear swaybar, the intake resonator box with associated plumbing, the rear head rests and the original motorcycle-quality horn.

On the other hand, it might look like a piece of fine art if I hung it in my game room. :-)
    How did you get the cover off? I have an 03 Tiburon V6 and only see two bolts holding it on, but when I took those off, I still couldn't get the cover off! I want to see that pretty V6 darnit! I realize the Elantra has a four cylinder but it is reasonable to assume they use similar cover designs so I was wondering if you ran into any other hidden bolts or clips that hold it on?

By the way, I was told by the salesman that Hyundai uses the covers (the entire Tiburon engine bay is covered in plastic; you can't see anything!!!) to keep dust, water, and road grime off of the electrical system and theoretically improve its lifespan and reliability. Who knows if he was making it up, but it sounded reasonable.
    It seems to be in vogue with auto manufacturers to use these covers...cheaper than making the engine itself attractive. Even high-end cars use them. I was surprised to see even the battery covered in the Elantra's engine bay! Btw, can anyone tell me how long they've had their maintenance free battery before having to replace it? My past experience with these batteries has not been good and if you live in a hot environment, they dry out very quickly!
    I had a very long-wearing clutch, two cars ago (227K miles on it), but the advice given me was a little different. After I bought that car in 1987, an older gentleman advised me to either depress the clutch pedal fully or remove my foot completely; no resting of the foot on the pedal, something I would not have done anyway. The advice was good, given the mileage on that car. Frequently at a stoplight I would leave the car in first gear with the clutch fully disengaged, something I still do with my GLS.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    By the way, I was told by the salesman that Hyundai uses the covers (the entire Tiburon engine bay is covered in plastic; you can't see anything!!!) to keep dust, water, and road grime off of the electrical system and theoretically improve its lifespan and reliability. Who knows if he was making it up, but it sounded reasonable.
    The usual salesman BS. It's there just for aesthetics.
    All that covering if nothing else but restricts air circulation under the hood contributing to the higher underhood temps.
    And how does it protect from dust, water and road grime since the most of that stuff is coming from unprotected underneath, not the covered part of the engine?
    Well, most of the junk comes through the grill, not from underneath. That stuff settles right on the top of the engine. With a cover there, the effect is greatly reduced. My 02 Mitsu Lancer has all sorts of grime and dust all over the exposed battery and cam cover. My Tiburon won't run into that same problem. The underside of the engine is almost fully covered as well. Only the very back of the engine bay is open. Anyway, I agree it's mostly for cosmetics but I do think it will help keep the engine clean and that could help the longevity of wires and connectors.
    I have never had problems with maintenance free batteries and I live in the very hot and humid climate of Florida. My 00 Accent (now owned by my friend) has 37k or so and 3 years on the original battery. My mom was able to get about 5-6 years and close to 100k out of her original Honda battery. You should be able to get 60k out of your battery without any problems.
  • vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    Anyway, I agree it's mostly for cosmetics but I do think it will help keep the engine clean and that could help the longevity of wires and connectors.
    Well, even if you're right and the cover does protect from dust accumulation, sooner or later the engine and wires will become dirty and in need of washing.
    What it takes to remove the cover? Just wondering.
    Try 100+ degrees for months on end...like in Vegas. The dealers in Vegas routinely replace sealed batteries before delivering cars as they know they dry out very quickly in the desert. That's one reason why I'd never buy a hybrid if I lived in Vegas. I think the humidity in Florida keeps the battery from drying up. :)
  • tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    I've been looking to get a compact car since last year and have pretty much settled on getting a GT hatchback. We currently have a 2000 Ford Crapstar (it was a Windstar when I bought it) that I have paid almost $5000 in repairs on. So this second vehicle will be my wife's, although I'll be the primary driver!

We had delayed getting the car for about a year, that's why I've been looking so long. Since we are getting ready to buy one towards the end of this year (either get a good deal on '03 or get an '04), she wants to get the Toyota Corolla.

Her reason? Reliability and reputation. I'm still getting some extended warranty regardless, I'm not about to shell out big bucks for repairs again!

For under $16k (before any rebates) I can get a GT loaded out. I could get a Corolla LE with similar features for about the same price, but without leather and sunroof (adds too much cost for features I don't really need). I wanted ABS on the GT so unfortunately I have to take the sunroof :).

We plan on keeping this car for a long time. And if we get the Corolla, I might just have to dump the crapstar and get myself a MANUAL GT! But that's not exactly in the budget.

So anyways, can you guys give me reasons I can feed to my wife on why we shouldn't get the Corolla and to get the Elantra instead?

I am so set on the GT that I can see myself down the road kicking myself for not getting it!
    The GT is a very good choice, not just for the money but on its own good merits. Tell her to do the research with you or on her own; she will see that the reviews from a wide variety of publications have been very positive. Quality improvements have been very noteworthy as well. Hyundai may not have years and years of proven Toyota-level reliability, but their efforts over the years are paying off on very high quality cars today -- some will say the differences are negligible.

P.S. Get yourself the 5-speed.
    I posted something in the Corolla forum, but did not get into too much detail because it's a Corolla forum and not a comparison forum (there is a Corolla vs. Elantra board, which is currently dormant but if you ask the Host it can be revived). Anyway, I would never buy a Corolla for two reasons: 1) uncomfortable driving position, and 2) persistant problem with rotten-egg smell (the rental Corolla I drove this week had 9000 miles on it, so if the dealer says "the smell will go away", it may not!). Both problems are documented on the Corolla board. The Corolla has many virtues, but it's not the car for me. The Elantra (I have a '01 GLS) suits my needs much better and cost a heck of a lot less, with more equipment. There will be a big difference in resale value, which you can offset by buying at a discount and holding the car for at least 4-5 years. Be sure to drive both of them on a long test drive.
    Speaking of smell, my Mom's GL has a very strong odor which has been mentioned numerous times by auto reviewers. The leather interior of the GT, thankfully, does not. :)
  • beatles363beatles363 Member Posts: 13
    Hi all, this is my first post on this board. I bought my new, black elantra gt 2003 about 2 weeks ago, and so far i love it. The only thing i wish is that it had more acceleration through the first gears, which i read about a lot on this board. I got an automatic, so i know thats why. Although i've noticed that as i break in the engine (350 miles), acceleration is a little better, with faster pick-up after i hit 40. It used to take a while to go from 40 to 60. Anyone else notice this?
    Other than that i love the car, and i havent noticed any bad smells!
    (Thanks for all of the replies. I figured the plastic cover was for cosmetic reasons, but wanted some assurance from all of you!)

As far as removing the cover, mine had 6 (or 5) bolts to remove and I remember overlooking one of them at first. Maybe the Tiburon has a hidden bolt or maybe one side of the engine cover is tucked under something else. Maybe someone knows something on the Tiburon board?

Good luck!
  • mrvanmrvan Member Posts: 17
    Wow, tmant, all I can say is "been there"! My wife said the exact things when it came to buying a car for her (she wanted the Corolla). In the end, she is driving one GT Hatch and I am driving the other. Here are some reasons:

1. Value- yes you can get the same features in the Corolla for nearly the same cost BEFORE a rebate. There are often rebates available on the GT. We got ours for about $2000 less than a comparable Corolla (sans leather).

2. Styling- The Corolla looks like every car out there. The GT Hatch is cool. If you get the wood-trim kit from Hyundai, the GT even looks way more up-scale than the Corolla on the inside.

3. Leather Seats- I never thought I'd care if I had 'em or not until I got my GT. They are great. The Elantra driver's seat is the most comfortable/adjustable seat in the economy class.

4. Cargo Space- One of the first things I needed to do buying the GT was move two tall bookcases. At first I was really wishing that I had kept my Suburban, but after puttin' down the seats in the GT, both bookcases fit easily.

5. "Balance"- The Elantra GT is simply the best "all-round" economy car available. It is practical, sporty, has room for people and stuff, drives well, is well built and every time you get in it, you have to convince yourself you didn't pay $5000 more than you did.

(I suppose you could consider a Matrix, but my wife said the look like a toaster...)
    -mrvan
    kaz6, how old is your mom's GLS? Hyundais have a characteristic smell when brand new, from the sealant used to protect the underbody during the ocean crossing. But the smell should wear off within a couple of weeks.
    My Mom's GLS was less than a month old when I drove it. It only really smells if parked in the sun for a while. I was impressed enough by her car to buy the GT for myself so the odor was not an issue. :)
    mrvan: I totally agree with what you said. I was on the fence for a long time and after a short test drive in the GT, I really had to remind myself how little it cost!
    The leather seats were not something I would've ordered had they not been standard but even after having it out in the sun for an afternoon, the seats were not too hot. I love the comfort of the seat in general although it did take a couple of weeks to decide upon a comfortable position for the seat cushion.
    In my own defense, the first clutch i burned was my first car, a VW Rabbit Diesel, not exactly known for long-term reliability. I learned how to drive a stick on that car, and I was 17-21 in a 55hp-econo car...you could say that I spent most of my time pushing that car pretty hard.

The second, I take only partial responsibility for. :)

My '86 Sabb 900S looked like a brand new car, with only 47k miles on the odomoeter, and a sweet in and out deal from a friend at the dealership. Turns out, the car had already replaced a tranny, swapping the original for a "cheap" rebuilt, which I tore up in just 13 short months. Ouch, the clutch and tranny feel to pieces. Had I known the history, I wouldn't have bought it (still very young at the time) and I certainly wouldn't have driven it the way I did.

My BMW, well...this one is all mine I think. Hard to know what it went through in the first 50k miles before I owned it, but I made a "didn't-know-any-better" crucial mistake riding the clutch in first gear on a ramp. Had a guy behind me riding my bumper, daring me to slide back and bump him...so I rode my clutch (was still getting used to a stick again after 5 years without) and by the time I got to the top, my clutch pedal was melting into the floor, a sour acrid smell was thick in the parking garage, and I felt like the idiot I was.

It managed to go 20k more miles, including a trip from MN to AZ loaded down with stuff. But the clutch never did feel anywhere close to how it did before the "incident." I finally set some money aside and replaced it, before it went down and took more expensive components along with it.

The mechanic agreed, when he replaced the clutch, he said, "it needed it." And he has several times not fixed anything on the car and told me everything was fine...so I have learned to trust him.

Tomorrow afternoon, I have made an appointment to go and drive the GT 5-speed (Chianti Red). Was given $12,660 as the final price with the sunroof. I intend to check his inventory, because if I am paying for the 'roof, I want ABS as well, and red isn't my first or second choice color.

Who knows, he has a GT Sedan in Cobalt Blue as well...maybe I will pull the trigger on the sedan. (And give up all that utility!?!)
    well, I drove it and then I bought it. Chianti Red 5 speed w/sunroof and CA emissions for an out the door price of $12,660. Wish my loan rate was better...but I am happy with the car and look forward to a long relationship with my new hatchling.

wanted the blue or silver, but being a winelover, chianti anything sounds good to me.

is there any simple (read inexpensive) mods to improve performance without voiding the warranty?

Oil filter? Air filter?

The car has good perky performance, but lacks a little low-end grunt.

How many miles until I can open her up above 4k rpm?
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Congrats on your new GT! Thats a great price. A bit less than I paid in 2001. Enjoy.

>is there any simple (read inexpensive) mods to improve performance without voiding the warranty?

Yes...may I suggest 1) B&M short shift kit
                          2) Tiburon rear sway bar
                          3) K&N Air Filter

>>Oil filter? Air filter?

Oil Filters...I ordered 10 Hyundai oil filters from hdkautosport.com for 3.99 each.

Air Filter...K&N Filtercharger $36.00
     www.summitracing.com Part# KNN-2201

>The car has good perky performance, but lacks a little low-end grunt

This is true however you have the advantage with the 5 spd. Need more grunt drop down a gear and raise the RPMs.

>How many miles until I can open her up above 4k >rpm?

After about 1 to 2K miles. Treat the brakes kindly for the first 200 miles. Vary your speed when cruising until break-in is done.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    beatles363:

>The only thing i wish is that it had more acceleration through the first gears, which i read about a lot on this board. I got an automatic, so i know thats why

Acceleration improves with the miles on a Elantra GT. The engine is very tight in the beginning. By 5K miles the engine starts to free up and by 10K its a different engine (reving freely). I too was a little let down in the beginning. Now at 14K miles accel has improved and I am happy.
  • tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    OK, so the wife seems a little more pushy to get ANY car already, so I may be able to sneak that GT in after all (auto unfortunately, she doesn't drive a stick and I wouldn't want her to tear up a clutch in a brand new car!). And I just can't imagine having to deal with this stink in the Corolla I keep hearing about.

I checked the price on the extended warranty on one of the links here. Costs about ~800+, does anyone know how much the Hyundai extended warranty costs?
  • tttechtttech Member Posts: 3
    recently elantraman mentioned that he had warped rotors replaced under warrantry. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I've suspected it for a while first noticing it at 2-3 months into ownership. At 11 month's asked dealer to check out rubbing noise brakes/wheels and they reported no problem's but lubricated the area. I'm at 13 months and 6k miles is it too late to have dealer make it right and how to prove it's an original problem?
    Well, tmant, I didn't buy an extended waranty - we'll see if that was wise in a few years...

Regarding the auto vs. manual (I own one of each):

The manual is much more peppy in that you get to determine when you shift. I makes the car almost (but not quite) worty of the "GT" tag. To me, the manual car simply feels "lighter" than the auto.

The auto is fine. Just that. I like driving mine, but then again I thought of my GT purchase as a 4-door hatchback economy car with the pleasant bonus of being extra fun to drive, not a GT (as in Mustang, etc.) with an extra set of doors.

In the end, you needn't be too woried or disapointed in getting an auto Elantra - but there is a noticable difference. IMHO.
    I didn't catch the amount of the warranty, but I did buy the gap insurance, only to find that if I bought it through my loan company, it would have been half as much...such is the way of things.

Use caution on the financing extras like extended warranty and gap coverage.

P.S. they did remove a $200 gap-plus coverage, it was some malarchy about a $5k bonus to me if the car is totaled or stolen during the time of the loan...gap covers the gap, this thing then gives you an additional $5k...

I declined.

As for 5-spd versus Auto. I am not a fan of the Elantra auto, but it is supposed to be computer/adaptive to some minor extent...so maybe the fact that I was just on a test drive was a big reason. IMO, the auto is lathargic and robs a little too much of the power. If the engine had 200 hp to begin with, who cares...but at 135, every extra horse helps.

The manual is pretty good, not as rubbery as a VW, but long and sloppy throws. The clutch is dedent though...and feels solid.
    depending on your loan term and amount, the price for the coverage has to be multiplied by your loan percentage at least three times. If you loan at 10%, figure each dollar you spend will cost you about $1.35 or so over a five year loan.

With my ugly credit, the extended warranty would have added too much cost to the loan...better off psetting aside $30/month and saving up for rainy days... :)
    I have to remember to wait until the hatch is fully opened before leaning in to retrieve packages! I bumped my head on the latch more than once. :p
    So far, my average has dropped to 21mpg in very heavy stop-n-go/short trip driving. That's 10mpg less than my ECHO averaged but more than the 19mpg my old ZX-2 got. The EPA city cycle range is 18-24~ so it's to be expected.
    Anyone else commuting in Los Angeles care to share their mpg?
    135 hp? I thought the Elantra GT had 140 hp. Maybe I'm wrong. . .

kaz6, I can't share the LA driving experience personally, but have a friend who moved from LA and he has told me just how bad it is! I feel for you in your daily commute! Good luck!
    I have a short (30 min) commute in North LA. I was getting 23 mpg according to the trip computer, but that has crept up to 24... Using the old "gallons in and miles traveled" calculation, I've determined I'm getting something like 25 mpg. People have said that the more you drive the GT, the better the mileage gets. This is what I am finding. 2000k so far and only getting better.

Regarding horsepower - Hyundai announced a few months back that due to some sort of calculation differences between countries (or something like that) that they needed to revise the horsepower stats on several of their cars. The Elantra's number went from 140 to 135 hp. Same engine, same car.