Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• craynericrayneri Member Posts: 15
    If the leather seats look good. I can always rebadge it as a SAAB, and trick somebody.....but their resale value is just as bad. I feel like buying one just to be rebellious. If you buy a Honda, it's without a doubt a great proven product. Hyundai, a great unproven product that breaks the norm. My congrats to those that bought one already, you have guts. I'm still undecided as to trading in my 1996 civic for a 2001 Elantra.
  • rgarbacciorgarbaccio Member Posts: 42
    That's pretty much my dilemma...buy the ubiquitous, but reliable Civic or the daring but unproven GT. Allow me those adjectives for my 16 grand.
  • liljonsonliljonson Member Posts: 109
    ummm did you see the edmunds test drive on the 2001 gls. i think they are 10x better than the civic. you should have no problem with hyundais now. about 3-4 years ago i was talking bad about them too and my family never owned anything but hyundais but now all we do is praise this car company.
  • mattwamattwa Member Posts: 16
    I've owned two Accords and an Odyssey. I went for the GT over the Civic (and the Jetta). Not even a close call.
  • cjaccettacjaccetta Member Posts: 236
    Congratulations on your new GT. Where did you buy and what kind of deal did you get? I'm curious because I have a feeling the high demand for the GT is keeping prices up is some places.

I agree -- why spend the $$$ for a Jetta when the GT offers just a much nice stuff?
    I got a pretty good deal in the DC area a couple of weeks ago. (#415) I'm not sure what's happening with prices now. More demand but maybe also more cars.

About the Jetta, I figured out that it could get really expensive since the warranty is only 2/24 and a lot of people reported high repair bills. The Hyundai warranty includes 5 year roadside assistance, which is generally offered only on cars about twice the price.
  • therhinotherhino Member Posts: 21
    We have owned Civics, Corollas, and recently two Acura Legends. Recently sold one Legend and got a 2001 Elantra GLS. Was going to sell the other Legend to get a SanteFe, but am now leaning towards the Elantra GT. We have 6,500 miles on our Elantra and it has been 100% trouble-free. Just went 2,500 miles round trip and it was a pleasure on the trip. A year ago I didn't include Hyundai in my list of choices, but I sure am glad that I went in for that test drive. To each his own, but IMO anybody reading this should at least test drive a new Hyundai before deciding on what make to buy...
  • otis12otis12 Member Posts: 171
    The GT cannot get more than 27 MPG in 100% highway driving...I have an automatic, but still, this strikes me as low mileage for a 4-banger.
    I just came back from a trip to the Jersey Shore. In stop-and-go highway driving, our GT got 29.8 mpg. Probably would have been able to pull over 30 mpg but the %#@!&% shore traffic was too thick.

The car was a real joy to sit in during the "stop" parts of "stop-and-go" traffic, though. This was only our second highway trip in the car. We're going on a drive to Canada next month so I'll report on the mileage when we return.
  • claudiner29claudiner29 Member Posts: 3
    This is my first post, but wanted to let you all know that this discussion has been very helpful. I don't own an Elantra GT (YET), but am planning on buying it this month--just got approved for the financing yesterday. Now waiting to find the one I want in stock here in Phoenix.

I find it REALLY interesting that several posts have mentioned comparisons or serious considerations to the VW Jetta and electing to go with the Elantra GT. I currently drive a 1991 Audi 100 I inhererited from my father (201,000 miles) and was SURE when the time came to buy a car I would buy a Jetta. Well, now the time has come and reality has set in. I test drove the Honda Civic, Mazda Protege, Ford Focus, Nissan Sentra GXE & SE, VW Jetta, Honda Accord, Elantra GLS, and Elantra GT (4x). I felt the Elantra and Elantra GT hands down drove better than all of the competitors and most similarly to the Honda Accord. I didn't think there was even a comparison between the Civic and the Elantra. My second choice in performance would be the Sentra SE, but I can not get past the absolutely awful cloth seats in the SE. They are truly the ugliest seats I've seen a LONG time. Not to mention the interior design isn't the greatest with the cup holders right in front of the air conditioning and other controls (remember I live in Arizona where you constantly have a water bottle with you in the car).

I have diligently been researching trying to find a reason NOT to buy the GT, but have yet to find one. Consumer reports, edmunds, and all sorts of other car reviews have given nothing but praise. Crash test results are good, few consumer complaints (NOT the case with the new Civics or Ford Focus), drives well, and has every option under the sun for less money than the competition with an awesome warranty to boot. I just can't seem to justify the extra $$$ to buy the Jetta.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    3 weeks....2200 miles....how do you think I put 320,800 on my Festiva? GT is one great car! Super high seating position....I'm 5'11' and even with the moonroof, you can really see out over the hood.

Impressions:

1. Just got 36.5 mpg pure highway, A/C on, cruising between 70-80 for 200 miles.

2. Getting 27-30 in mixed driving with light foot.

3. Noticed no sunglass holder with the roof.

4. One of the rear seat back buttons stuck...pushed it in too far....others had similar experiences.

5. No rattles...but you could use velcro and felt to stop the shoulder belt rattle on the doorpost.

6. Gas gauge on last fill-up stopped at 7/8s and I know it was full.

7. My friend who owns a Passat was blown away.

8. The guys at the inspection station couldn't stop from coming over and checking it out.

9. No one can believe all of the standard equipment.

10. Oil level just below full at 2,100.

11. Should be a warning chime in addition to the dash light if you leave the parking brake on.

12. Darn engine is so quiet at idle I have to keep myself from trying to restart it.
  • diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    the latest issue of Time magazine has a good article on Hyundai.
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    The transformation is complete. With Time's good article on Hyundai, I doubt anyone will be snickering now.

I did think it would take another 3 years. What a turnaround. The downside will be higher prices.
  • estoesto Member Posts: 136
    Have any of you seen any dealer ads in newspapers for the GT yet? I'm in Portland OR, and have seen no sign of Hyundai dealer ads with the GT in them. There are plenty of ads for the Protege5 (I even saw one with a price), but zip for the GT.

Erik
    ...on mpgman to be the first GT owner to have his Hyundai 100,000 mile powertrain warranty expire. How the heck did you put so many miles on your car in just three weeks?!?

I've put over 1,400 on in about one month and I drive 50+ miles per day. Now I am starting to realize why mpgman picked the username that he did... :)

Happy Motoring
  • reckoning32reckoning32 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone in the SF Bay Area purchased a GT? If so, where, and how much, and through which salesperson? I think I am going to take the plunge after being less than impressed with Hondas, Corollas, etc. Have not seen any on the road here.

In truth the Elantra GT is the only car in my price range that I actually really liked after test-driving. One very annoying thing I did notice was that the sun visor, when folded down, obstructs the rearview mirror substantially -- so much that you need to unhook it and push it back or else you can't see anything. But otherwise, I really like how the black one looked, the nice handle on the hatch, all the options, etc.
  • pedennisonpedennison Member Posts: 21
    I just got back from a week-long trip that put 2400 miles on my new GT. I averaged 31-32 mpg on the highway driving between 70 and 80 mph. I hit the end of the 1200 mile break-in period just before I left, so I didn't have to feel guilty about driving fast. In the mountains I averaged 29 mpg, although on one long downhill I was able to max out the mpg computer at 99.9. The adjustable lumbar on the driver's seat was a godsend after 10 hours in the car. I am still impressed how quiet this car is. Except for on-ramps, engine noise was barely noticeable. I couldn't detect any wind noise, even above 90. My only complaints about the GT's road trip abilities: heavier steering wore me out on winding mountain roads and I wish the headrest were a tad softer.
    Even up to now I still haven't seen a Hyundai Santa Fe in local dealers's ads. Judging from the demand of the Santa Fe and GT, I doubt if you'll see your local dealers wasting their money advertising the vehicles. It's logical- why even bother with ads when people are willing to come on their own to look at the vehicles?
    Driving back and forth from NY/NJ to DC every week plus local honey-do's will pile up the miles. Maybe I should have bought the extended 10/100 bumper to bumper but I thought the $995 was steep and the dealer didn't want to come down. Maybe the miles is less important than the time. Anyway, I like this car more and more and am convinced so far that I made the right decision to take this over the Pro-5. Seating comfort is paramount to me and I think the driver seating is better than some cars at $10k more. It's rare to get manual adjusters that do as much as power seats. Now you know how I put over 300k on the Festiva.
    Not sure how you are driving or what the terrain is like. I take off with a light foot and try to make the shifts on the automatic undetectable. Cruising between 70-80, I have gotten 33 or better at least 4 times. I also watch the trip computer, which is a neat indicator of how much you are depressing the gas pedal. You may not want to drive that way.....it works for me though. Keep in mind that the GT is not a little econobox. It also has a rather hefty 4 banger with a decent output for hp and torque. That and and a body weight of close to 3,000 pounds hurts mileage. I'd love to see a 5 speed auto with a really deep 5th gear overdrive for true flat terrain high speed cruising. The 5 speed manual revs higher than then auto so I doubt the mpg in that is much better.
  • tucsonaztucsonaz Member Posts: 1
    I spent the past 2 weeks researching and test driving the Civic, Jetta and Focus. I was looking for a commuter which had high safety ratings, fairly good performance and could be bought for less than 20K, preferably closer to 15K. After being disappointed by the engine performance of the Civic, the price of the Jetta, the less than refined interior of the Focus, I was encouraged by a Honda/Hyundai dealer to take a look at the Hyundai, which I vowed early on not to bother with... after all, it was a Hyundai.

I was surprised that I found it so highly rated by NHTSA and then re-read the compact reviews realized that it had received very high, albeit guarded, reviews. Just hadn't noticed because of the roundabout way the reviewers talked about it.. plenty of disclaimers, etc. Ok... so I decided to look at an Elantra. Took a test drive. Saw the GT (Silver, 5spd, base pkg). Bought it on the spot for not much over invoice.

The ride is as good as the Jetta, better than the others. The engine has better performance than all of the others (Jetta base engine only... the higher end engines on the Jetta are superb, but bump the price to over 20K with tax). And, after driving it both city and highway I truly believe the 140 hp rating. The torque is adequate for the size of the car as well, unlike the other engines I've driven in the past few weeks. Acceleration is no problem at all.

Very comfortable handling. I personally like a bit more road feel, which the Jetta provides, but I'll take the slight increase in comfort on the Elantra's ride as a fair trade-off. The Civic felt a bit more precise in handling, and the Focus was even better, but not a significant enough difference to make me second guess my decision.

The interior is only slightly less refined than the Jetta's (although the base Jetta doesn't even have a center arm-rest), as good as the Civic and better than the Focus.

The transmission is smooth... not as much clutch/engine "feel" as with the Jetta 5 spd, but better responsiveness than the Focus and Civic. A little slow into 1st gear from a stop, but so far that's the only negative.

What a great car. I'm pleased to say the least and although I may be taking a chance with an unproven vehicle, the 5 yr-60K/10 yr-100K warranty certainly makes me willing to entertain the risk.

As for resale value... who knows. But since I plan to keep the vehicle for several years, it doesn't really matter much. Reliability will be the big factor for me in the long run, and, after reading about all of the major service issues people have been having this year with the Jetta (my previous first choice in terms of overall value), I'm willing to take the risk.

Oh, and I almost forgot... this particular risk just saved me about 6K.
    Congratulations! You have just discovered the best kept $15k secret in the new car lots.
    Welcome into the GT fold, tucsonaz. Sounds like you got a nice price. In my state (NJ) the GTs seem to be selling for close to MSRP because of high demand.

You're gonna love your car. Especially the A/C, which is colder than a witch's...

Good luck with your new ride.
    Maybe the best under $20k secret . . .

(One other thing I really like about the GT
    - location of the cupholders. Did anyone
    else think the Jetta cupholders up under
    the front vents were going to be a
    problem?)
    Maybe VW thought the A/C would help keep sodas cool. They wouldn't do much for coffee though...unless it was from Mickey D's.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I just bought a new Protege about five months ago. I should have waited for the Elantra! I didn't ever think a Hyundai would commend such high praise, reliability (short-term, but still), and safety ratings as the Elantra does. All the car magazines are raving their heads off! It might be worth a shot to check about a trade-in for me. I will definitely have to check into it.
    I went back and forth between the two before getting the GT. The Pro-5 is a nice car, so I wouldn't be too upset. Hyundai just really outdid themselves with the GT, especially at the price they are charging. I would think that Pro-5s are hot enough as to where you could get a real good price privately.
    I still haven't seen one on the road. My local dealer had a single one last time I drove by, but that was my only real life encounter with the GT.
    From what I understand, the seats in the GT have "leather seating surfaces". If so, what is the rest of the seat made of? Is it vinyl? If so, isn't that prone to tearing/ripping? I sure wish I could get the GT without leather (and ABS without a hole in the roof).

Erik
    The seat surfaces are leather, as are the sides, headrests and the top part of the seatback. There is a small cloth insert where the folding mechanism is located. The bottom part of the seatback is a heavy plastic. It should be good at resisting scuffs from the rear-seat passengers. There is also a magazine pocket on the plastic portion.

The entire seat is pretty sturdy -- the leather looks like it will stand up well. The grey color also disguises minor marks and/or stains.
    Well if Hyundai doesn't want history to repeat itself, those seats BETTER be real leather, LOL
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    A few months back, Car&Driver did a short review of the 2001 GLS sedan, and mentioned the upcoming (now arrived) GT hatchback. They also hinted that a THREE DOOR hatchback would arrive "early next year", and would be something really special for Hyundai. Has anyone come across any advance info on this three door GT model?

Separately, are there any tall (6'4"+) drivers who can comment on how they fit in the Elantra? I would not be looking at a car with a sunroof, BTW.
  • compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    I had a few e-mail exchanges with a couple of local dealers a couple of weeks ago and decided I would have to look outside my local area (Nashville, TN). Suddenly, one of the local dealers called me and left messages about wanting my business. This was totally unexpected.

I'll be talking with the salesperson today (BY PHONE ONLY!). I'm not even going to waste my time at the dealership until I know I can get a base GT 5-speed for close to invoice price. The only problem is that I checked dealer inventory on-line and the supposed "exact car I'm looking for" is not really in inventory. They do have a Pewter 5-speed, but it also has a moonroof, which I did not need or want (especially since it jacks up the price about $600). This may be a good bargaining chip though.

I'll follow-up soon. Maybe I'll get to be in the Elantra Owner's Club if things go well!
    I'm 5'11'' and have the roof and ABS and the headroom is fine due to the adjustable seat. You'd of course be better without the roof and I think you'll also really like the legroom. Much better IMO than the Pro-5. The Accent is a hatch in the 2 door version.....maybe they were referring to the new Tuscany with the 6-cylinder, 6 speed manual?
    From the April 2001 issue, page 117: "And wait until you see the three-door Elantra GT we'll get next year. To use a word not commonly associated with things Hyundai, it's hot". I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I'd prefer a three-door, mainly because I never carry rear seat passengers, and I prefer the longer doors that come with this body configuration. When you are as tall as I am, and have to push the seat all the way back in a small four-door, the B pillar ends up next to my left ear... not good for side visibility!
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I am 6'3, and didn't fit comfortably enough in the Elantra GLS sedan at the car show. It seemed like the seat didn't go back far enough for me. I however, have a 2001 Protege and it's fine for me inside. I have also sat in the P5, and the leg room is the same for that as it is for the sedan.
    ... for the feedback. We'll probably look at Elantras this weekend, although finding a GT in any color may be difficult - I've called all five dealers in my city, and there seem to be virtually none available. Driving a GLS may give us enough of an impression, however.
    I've driven both the GLS and GT for several hundred miles. A lot of similarity as they are both Elantras, but the GT really feels and handles a lot differently in my opinion. Base your opinions on the GLS by driving the GLS but try to find a GT to drive to form an opinion about the GT. I found the ES Protege sedan to be much more similar to the Pro-5 than the GLS is to the GT. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    That Car and Driver article was a misprint in 2 possible ways. Either they meant to say a 5-door Elantra GT, instead of 3-door, as it was originally supposed to be a 2002 model, so therefore would make sense that it was coming out next year, or they were referring to the all-new 2002 Tiburon, which is basically a 3-door version of the Elantra.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    I think this reference was a typo on the part of C&D. The present GT has been available as a 5 door hatch in different form since the introduction of the present Elantra--just not available in the US. A three door GT would interfere with marketing plans for the new Tibby. I've never seen another reference to a three door GT other than the C&D story.
  • enfuegoenfuego Member Posts: 2
    I am 6'3" and just bought the GT. It has plenty of room for me as well as the adult passenger behind my seat.
    Thanks for everyone's input. I won't hold off a purchase waiting for a three-door GT. Also, I won't automatically assume the GLS and GT perform the same.
    To those of you that have bought the GT, were you able to see the dealer's invoice? If so, was there a regional advertising charge on the invoice? Did you end up paying it? How much was it (I know it can vary from region to region)? Any other "hidden" fees? Thanks.

Erik
    In searching for a 5 door hatchback, has anyone taken a look at the Kia Spectra? The GSX model seems to be fairly well appointed (though no match for the GT). How is its fit and finish? Kia is now owned by Hyundai, they have the same 5/10 year warranty. It has a wimpier engine; is it very noticeable? What is the Spectra's reliability record? The Spectra has a $1250 rebate - makes the price very attractive. Thanks.

Erik
  • enfuegoenfuego Member Posts: 2
    I just bought my GT automatic with sunroof at 1% over invoice ($13617 + Destination charges $495 + power moonroof $541 and dark window tint $225 + 1% invoice $149 for a total of $14878. There was the Regional advertising charge but that's been in effect for the past several years. Don't know what's happening in the rest of the country, but here in the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix area) there are credit union programs that allow their members to buy from the fleet department at around invoice + ya get the rebates. However, there are no rebates for the GT at this time. NO haggling, NO pressure. Find the car you want, they show you the invoice and you drive off a happy camper. Most of my time was out on the lot and test driving. KBB.com provides the invoices for you so that you are prepared. It's awesome. Good luck.
    The $13617 invoice number from kbb (and others) does NOT include advertising charges. From the numbers you posted, it looks like there was no such line on the invoice; but you said it has been in effect for many years. Then, when I added up your numbers, I got $15027, not $14878. Something doesn't quite add up, as it were.

Erik
  • moses5moses5 Member Posts: 61
    Has anyone heard if Hyundai will put the 2.4Liter engine in the Sonata into the GT for the 2002 model year. I have heard some reports that they are looking into offering some ground effects and larger powerplant. I also heard that Hyundai might be considering the 200hp v6 going into the new Tiburon, but I don't think that is likely.

The 2.4 produces 149hp and 156lbs. torque. That would make it even more class leading in terms of acceleration.
    I had a chance to get a close look at the Kia Spectra at the NY auto show in April. Granted, I did not drive the car so I can't comment on how it runs. But I can tell you that the interior and exterior fit and finish were very crude. I went to rest my elbow on the hard plastic center console and it fell off of its mooring. The seat cloth felt like sandpaper. Generally I was not a fan of the car. The interior of my GT is much, much nicer.

However, the car is roomy in most respects (except back seat) and had a really big cargo area. Despite my initial impression, the Spectra is good-looking and useful. I would consider one as a second car or a car for use on "dangerous missions" like driving into NYC or commuting to the NJ shore.

Personally, I like Kia. It seems like a spunky company and I think it builds attractive cars. I hope it can remain a player in the US market.

But I am much happier with the Elantra GT!
    I just broke the 1500 mile mark on my Elantra GT. I was wondering if I should bring it in for a service checkup.

The owners manual specifies first maintenance at 3750 miles (I am following the heavy-duty schedule). The dealer did not mention a 1500 mile checkup, either.

What have other owners done at the 1500 mile mark? Just curious....my gut tells me wait until 3750. I have had no problems of any kind yet.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Elantra GT BMW 525I

MSRP $13,999 $37,200

Hatchback Wagon

Manual 25 / 33 19 / 26
    Automatic 25 / 33 19 / 27

Acceleration 8.6 8.8
    1/4 mile 16.6 16.7

Front Headroom 39.6 in. 38.7 in.
    Front Leg Room 43.2 in. 41.7 in.
    Rear Leg Room 35 in. 34.2 in.