Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    As mentioned above, the hatchback with the rear seats down will allow you to carry as much as a 33gal upright compressor in the box home from Sears. With the hatch shut. And with room to spare.

And if you want sportier handling, there is a 30min ~$150 mod that really makes it corner flat.

Jim
  • Options
    doohickiedoohickie Member Posts: 949
    Would I buy another one? In a heartbeat!

It's the largest in its class (compact)... to the extent that for the purposes of fuel economy testing the EPA calls it a mid-size.

When I first test drove it, I was luke-warm on the handling, but once you get to know the car it really is a pleasure to drive. If you're handy, you can quickly improve the handling by upgrading the rear sway bar from the stock 15 mm diameter bare to a 19 mm bar from the Tiburon GT for about $100-150 (for dealer parts- or maybe even less if you can find one at a junkyard). This is the mod jlflemmons is referring to. It tightens up the rear body roll significantly. If you want to go that route, let me know and I can tell you everything you need to know (you can email me through my profile).

When I bought, it came down to the Elantra 5-door and the Spectra5. I bought at the model year end last October and the Elantra 5-door is not as common as the Spec5, so I had to drive to the next county to buy my Elantra. The trade-off between the Elantra and Spectra which are very close mechanically (Hyundai owns Kia) is that the body style is a little different (I prefer the Elantra), and the Spectra isn't quite as well-equipped for the same price.

I personally think the styling on the Elantra is better in a "classic" sense than the Spectra. I parked next to a Saab 5-door hatch yesterday, and except for the grill they two cars compare very favorably, style-wise.

To be honest, I would have happily bought either car, but I think the online community for the Elantra is a little better established which is one factor in its favor for me.
  • Options
    wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    I would highly recommend an elantra. the hatchback models seem to handle better than the sedans due to suspension tuning and stabilizer bars. i bought a 2005 GLS hatchback in december to replace a mazda protege 5 that was totalled :( while i miss my little mazda, the hyundai is a great car. very solid, good pickup, decent handling, good braking, super comfortable seats, lots of room in the backseat and also very good cargo space.

i looked at kia too and while i know the guts are the same and it's the same company, but something about the spectra seemed inherently inferior to the hyundai.
  • Options
    tsgeiseltsgeisel Member Posts: 352
    Thanks for the recommendations - I'm certainly looking that way.

Now, a local dealership has an '05 5-door, but only in GT with sun/moon roof combo. Basically it's the tricked out version, that I wouldn't really ask for.

Is there anyone out there with strong feelings one way or the other? If I can get a good deal out of this, there's no reason not to go with all the extras, especially if some of them are more useful than I might think.

Thanks.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think it's a matter of how important extras like leather, alloys, fog lamps, and purple gauges are to you. You might find a great deal on a GT but it will still cost you hundreds more than a GLS. Personally I really like the sport cloth interior that is in the GLS 5-doors that have a grey interior. Alloys tend to get scraped on curbs. I never use the foglamps on my GT. And the purple gauges are neat, but I can live without them. The only reason I got a GT two years ago was that the GLS 5-door wasn't available then. Also I got a great deal, just $13.2k for a fully-loaded GT including all maintenance for 3 years. But now I'd go with the GLS, with the ABS/moonroof package. See if you can find one on the lot that has the lower sticker price--prices just went up about $300.
  • Options
    I think it's a matter of how important extras like leather, alloys, fog lamps, and purple gauges are to you.

That is exactly where I was in October when I bought. I decided that leather really wasn't such a good idea in the Texas heat (when I took a test drive on a 100 degree day!), alloys- I wish I had em and I'm looking for opportunities to pick some up, but only if I can get a good price, fog lamps- I just put in some aftermarket ones that look very OEM:

And purple gages? I think I like the GLS green better anyway.

I really like the sport cloth interior that is in the GLS 5-doors that have a grey interior.

Agreed! You can't find it in the brochures, but it looks like this:

The picture quality is bad; you can see the image full size here.
  • Options
    I would highly recommend an elantra. the hatchback models seem to handle better than the sedans due to suspension tuning and stabilizer bars.

And you can further tighten up the rear end noticeably by replacing the Elantra rear sway bar with the one of the 03 Tiburon GT, which increases the diameter from 15 to 19 mm, a very siginficant increase in stiffness. If you go to some of the Tiburon forums people upgrade their Tibbies and sell the bars there, probably for $50-80. You can get one brand new from the dealer, including the bushings, for about $120. If you buy your car new, it is a very simple upgrade to do yourself- six bolts and you don't even need to jack up the car if you can shimmy under it. (If the car has seen a few winters, the bolts can be difficult to loosen.) If anyone is interested in this mod, I can answer any questions; email me through my profile.
  • Options
    pocono35pocono35 Member Posts: 89
    If you can find a 5-speed GT hatch with moonroof and abs, traction control, please send me an email. I cannot find one anywhere. This is the single-great value of any car I have ever seen and they just are not anywhere to be found. A loaded hatch with leather and Hyundai quality for $16k? Gotta have me one for a 3rd car and the new driving daughter.
  • Options
    xendlessinyxxendlessinyx Member Posts: 6
    I am just curious..
    Can 04 elantra handle +48mm offset..?
    I did some research, I'm thinking 45mm is max..
    but not quite sure.. :cry:
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Any car will handle a positive wheel offset for a while. The more the offset though the more leverage you are applying to the wheel bearings. This usually means and early failure of one or more bearings. I have to laugh when I see peeps driving around looking cool on their Honda with the wheels directly under the wheel well lips (or fenders). Is it worth the early bearing failure?
  • Options
    plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    ... and I've got a couple of questions regarding the radio and keyless remote.
    I read that the radio was supposed to have a remote included, but being used, it has somehow disappeared between the original owner [Hyundai USA] and delivery to me. Any idea as to how I can get a replacement? The dealer acted clueless as to the existance of a remote for the radio.

I had asked if there were two keys for the car and was told yes, but I guess that didn't include two remotes for keyless entry :mad: I guess that's my fault for not specifically asking about two remotes as well. Anyway, I found one on eBay for $15, but it will need to be programed by the dealer. Any idea as to how much that might cost or if it's possibly programmable by the owner?

We bought this just to use as a 'run-around' car in town, but so far it's sure a lot of fun to drive.
  • Options
    Model 2004 and later needs a ScanTool at the dealer for programming the entry remote.

I take it the stereo you're referring to is the Kenwood with MP3? I don't know about the remote for it, but if you don't have one, here's a link to a pdf file for the Kenwood Owners Manual. (And yes, the manual does mention a remote, although the manual is for several models so the remote may or may not work with your stereo.)

I looked a little at the Kenwood site, and it looks like this is the remote that goes with that series of stereo- only $12.95! (+$4.25 S&H to my zip code)
  • Options
    plwilliamsplwilliams Member Posts: 96
    Yes, it is the Kenwood with MP3. Thank you for the link to the Manual, though I had already found that, but I hadn't been able to find the remote, so thanks for that as well.
  • Options
    iowaelantraiowaelantra Member Posts: 58
  • Options
    so I thought I should check in and let you all know how I'm getting along with my 5 door. After 4 1/2 months of owning my Hyundai, I still love it. Most of my driving has been around the Cedar Rapids, Ia metro area and not on the road for any extended trips, however. Just have not had anywhere I need to go, especially with gas prices in the 2.75 range. I have a website where I can track my gas fills and mileage, and it calculates the mpg for me. Over 12 fills, I am averaging 26.10 mpg. As I said, almost all the driving has been within the city limits so I'm sure that has a lot to do with the mpgs. The best has been 31.45 mpg. The worst was 18. something or other. I think I did something wrong on those fills to get such a low mpg calculation rather than an actual low mileage with the car (probably filled short on the previous fill and then filled long on the second fill to get the low calculation). I guess that is what averages are for. For those who don't know or don't remember, I have the auto tranny. The weather finally warmed up enough here about three weeks ago so I could get a good hand washing and a wax job on. I, also, RainX-ed the windows. Boy, do I love that stuff. Rain forms nice little beads and then just slides up the windshield and off when you get up to a decent speed.
    Things have been going well on a personal basis, as well. I don't need or want to go into a lot of details, but I am on disability and have been living with relatives. On July 1 my cat and I are moving into our own apartment. While living with relatives was almost a necessity during some health crises, it sure will be nice to have my own space, my own kitchen, my own everything. I am looking forward so much to the move. I haven't been just sitting around moping, though. I took classes and am now an official weather spotter for the National Weather Service. I have been taking classes and last Monday took and passed a test to get an amateur radio operator's license. Now when I get some equipment together, I can become a ham radio operator. It ties in with the weather spotter thing, too, in that Cedar Rapids activates a radio net of weather spotters when threatening weather approaches. Some of you probably saw the pictures of the tornado that hit Iowa City only 23 miles away. So, I'm hoping to get involved with the local radio club which is also involved with the weather spotters or more precisely, a lot of the members are part of the weather spotter net. Anyway, things are going well and looking up for me for the first time in several years, and it sure feels good. My Hyundai and I are having a ball. My silver Hyundai is probably the best purchase I've made in a long time. If and when it comes time to get another vehicle, I'll probably get another Hyundai. I'm just THAT pleased with the car. Thanks to those of you who offered opinions and suggestions while I agonized over my new car purchase and which car to buy. My best wishes to all and hope that you all have a great summer. I'll be checking in from time to time if I'm not out chasing tornados, lol, or playing with my 3 grandsons.
  • Options
    sonatabeansonatabean Member Posts: 201
    ...especially with gas prices in the 2.75 range.

Now if that is not proof Red States are getting preferential supply and demand treatment!

NY (Upstate, the REASONABLE cost-of-living part) is pushing 3.19.

My younger brother lives just south of San Francisco in Los Gatos/Valley region.

He pays 3.59 - although he's now deciding "rail" is not such a bad deal these days.

I never thought I would say this, Iowa, but I actually ENVY your 2.75 a gallon!

Seriously!
  • Options
    wonderwallwonderwall Member Posts: 126
    so, you think i am getting lower gas prices because the majority of the other individuals in my state were misinformed enough to vote for dubya? haha! it's probably true...

but onto my Elantra 5 Door... I have a GLS hatchback that I bought in December and I am absolutely in love with the car. My previous car was, if you're not willing to scroll up, a 2003 Mazda Protege 5, which I loved. after about six months of owning the Elantra, I must say that I love it too, perhaps not quite as much, but it's easier to live with when it comes to comfort and also fuel economy. While the seats in the PR5 were comfortable and super supportive, the Elantra's seats are undoubtedly the best I've experienced. I absolutely love the tweed upolstery in the GLS 5 door. The ride in the Elantra is significantly less turbulent, which I never minded much in my Mazda-- I expected it to be that way-- but my wife claimed the Mazda made her carsick, because it was so bumpy and rough.

The Elantra, I feel, strikes a very nice balance between ride & handling, with an ever so slight balance towards comfort, but you know, as much as I was in love with the handling abilities of the Mazda, I realized that ultimately driving back & forth to work each day--which is 90% of what I do with the car-- handling seldom means much. I mean I certainly couldn't drive some American boat with limp steering that wallowed all over the road, but ultimately... I may, one day, put the Tiburon stabilizer bar on when I actually have a little money & time to throw around, but for the time being it's cool.

The Elantra is also ROOMY. The PR5 was as well, but the Elantra more so-- of course, my wife and I are both pretty small folks. Having had a PR5 and an Elantra hatchback back to back, I doubt I will ever go back to a car with a trunk. It's hatchbacks and wagons from here on out.And, good grief, I now have split loyalties-- Mazda & Hyundai.
  • Options
    Sounds like you got the "undocumented" gray tweed interior that comes in gray interior hatchbacks. I have it too and I love it. After seven months it still looks show room new, too.

As for handling, you can make a very substantial improvement by swapping out the rear sway bar for the one off the Tiburon GT. It's a drop-in mod since the rear suspension geometries are identical. I've written up a guide on the whole sway bar issue here. For about $100, a BIG improvement. Frightfully easy to install on a new Elantra too (harder after it's seen some winters).
  • Options

#4846 of 4847 i'm a bright blue dot in a very red state by wonderwall May 17, 2006 (8:23 am)
    Replying to: sonatabean (May 17, 2006 4:44 am)

I had that problem once, too: I lived in Ohio from 1968 to 2003.

Between the mindset and soccer moms driving Chevy Suburbans to the Dairy Queen (and then having the gall to [non-permissible content removed], [non-permissible content removed], [non-permissible content removed] about gas when it hit $2.10 a gallon!), I finally decided to move Blue cuz I just had enough.

Glad you like the car: I've been in love with the GT Hatch ever since it came out. SADLY, we bought a matched pair (I know - we're sickos) of 2000 Sonatas (GLS V6 models) right before all the $$$$ issues and petro issues went insane nationally.

Had we waited just a wee bit longer, we could have had the Elantras instead.

I just hope the MPG promises and the hatch continue in the new bodystyle, because I have my heart set on that particular configuration.
  • Options

I personally think the styling on the Elantra is better in a "classic" sense than the Spectra. I parked next to a Saab 5-door hatch yesterday, and except for the grill they two cars compare very favorably, style-wise.

I am so glad to read that - THAT is the very same thing that struck me about the Elantra GT fastback.

I really like the classic looks of both the outside *AND* the dash-interior layout. Classic is classy - ever notice how one can see the parallels between, say, the interior of a 1974 Mercedes-Benz and a 2006 Mercedes-Benz?

All this off-the-wall digital crap and weird "center pod" layouts irks me. Especially given this is nothing new, in reality: the year I graduated high school (1986), my Mom bought a Lincoln Continental which had a digital dashboard (yes, you teenyboppers among us: digital is NOT new!).

At first, the entire family wanted to drive her car because it was "Star Trek" and "Cool."

Soon, as the shortcomings of techno-gizmos-as-entertainment grew rather obvious, she was more than willing to let everyone else drive her car.

Perhaps my 30-something age is showing, but I frankly like "classic." It's clean, simple, easy-to-read, easy-to-use, and is often intuitive.

I hope those traits about Hyundais do not change anytime soon.
  • Options
    Fortunately, they don't seem to be changing. New models like the Sonata and Accent have been praised in the automotive press for their simple, legible controls. So even though the new Elantra's dash looks different, I expect the controls will still be simple and logically laid out.

BTW, I parked next to a co-worker yesterday with my Rally Red '04 GT 5-door (he has a Mercedes SUV). I just had all the dings removed and had just washed it so it was looking good. He remarked how "fast" the car looked (I told him it wasn't that fast) and was floored when I told him I paid $13k for it, fully loaded, plus T&L. But he has the big bucks (owns a multi-million dollar house for example) so he won't be buying an Elantra anytime soon.
  • Options

But he has the big bucks (owns a multi-million dollar house for example) so he won't be buying an Elantra anytime soon.

Backy,

Don't be so sure in today's economic climate. I'm currently still in the training phase of a medical career . . . but more than one post-residency, post-internship Doc I know is practicing the "two car" phenomenon.

Namely, (1) he daily driver (say, a Civic or Corolla or, in the case of one faculty member, a well-schemed Camry Hybrid) given what it costs today to buy, insure, run, fuel, and maintain a car . . . add in wear-and-tear, damage, and depreciation and the picture looks even worse, and then (2)the "fun car" for the weekend/pleasure/social events (like an MB Convertible or some such indulgence).

I've actually been going 'round and 'round and 'round with this kid over in the "Future Corolla" section who essentially thinks Toyota owes him a Corolla-baged Lesux IS-250.

Given (1) the kid likely can't even pay his own cellphone bill and (2) his folks will likely be buying him his car, I've been gently (of late, NOT so gently) suggesting he spend some time in a place called "reality."

While I am a Hyundai owner and am seriously on the prowl for the Elantra, I have also been considering other options such as the Corolla.

If the Corolla weirds out on design to appeal to penniless teeny-boppers, though, Elantra will be it for me.
  • Options
    I'm not in the group getting one pragmatic set of wheels for day-to-day use and a second set of super-luxe wheels for fun.

I'm in debt and I still have a ways to go: for me, cheap wheels RULE!!!
  • Options
    For brevity I didn't give the entire story. Let me just say I know this fellow very well, and he doesn't have to work another day in his life if he doesn't want to. He's, well, loaded. And likes driving a Mercedes.

I could spend a lot more for cars than I do. If someone looked at my W2 they might ask, "Why do you drive an Elantra??" But I am a practical kind of guy, and I don't like throwing money into a depreciating asset like a car when I could put it to use in so many other ways, like retirement money, college funds, charities etc. I like the Elantra 5-door because it is just the right size of car for my needs, is comfortable and even fun to drive, is versatile, it has all the creature comforts I need (actually the GT has more than I need), is economical with gas, has the long warranty, and it didn't cost much up front. And, as my friend said, it "looks fast". :)
  • Options
    Good God, man! Who would not LIKE driving a Mercedes (at least until the first hefty paint chip marrs the finish)?
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind driving a Mercedes. I would mind paying for it, and for its gas (this was the V8 SUV).
  • Options

I wouldn't mind driving a Mercedes. I would mind paying for it, and for its gas (this was the V8 SUV).

Yeah - me too.

ESPECIALLY a V8 SUV.

That is just like putting money on a grill, soaking it with lighter fluid, and setting it ablaze.

The straight-six S-class sedan would do me very nicely, tho!
  • Options
    As someone who's living in the Silly Valley area, if he's paying $3.59 a gallon he's not shopping around at all. It doesn't take much trouble to find gas at $3.25, and less can be found with only minimal effort.

Unless, of course, he's going with Premium, in which case all bets are off.

Meanwhile, back at the forum topic, I still love my car.
  • Options
    I think he only uses BP: BMW recommends using only BP and, while his model will run on 87 (or 89?? Recommends 91), he's a bit odd about that "doing what the manufacturer says" to the point of being obsessive.

The funny part is, per his complaints, this is the most pain-in-the-butt, unreliable, temperamental car he has ever owned.
  • Options
    4ruth4ruth Member Posts: 11
    I have a hatchback that I bought in July, new. It has about 8000 miles on it and I am getting lousey mileage, about 20 mph in town and 23 out of town. I am a good driver and used to get 26 miles on my 12 year old toyota corolla. \

Secondly, I don't think that the electronics that reports mileage works well. When the tank is full, I am told that I get 33 mph. As it gets past the half way mark, it is down to 22 mph, and if I drive further before filling, it goes down even more.

Have called the dealer twice. Am always told that it is still in the break in period and I should drive a few thousand miles more. It makes me unhappy with the car in general. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    Well, I suppose the first question is "What conditions are you driving it under?" Are you doing a lot of city driving, or is it highway milage? Also, are you using the air conditioner - that uses engine power to run. What are your habits when getting off of a light - are you quick to accelerate, or do you go smoothly?

However, have you tried the old-fashioned method of estimating milage by filling the tank, setting the trip odometer, using about half a tank (or more) of gas, re-filling the tank, and then dividing miles driven by gallons filled? In other words, not trusting the computer?

It could be that there's a bad sensor or something that's causing the problem.
  • Options
    It looks like the computer is defective; no such behavior on my '04 GT. The computer is accurate and consistent as the tank level falls.

Here is something to try. Find a stretch of level highway, 55-60 mph speed limit, light traffic (so you can cruise without hitting the brake). Reset the computer and drive for several miles at the limit, using as light a touch on the pedal as you can to maintain speed--keep the revs as low as possible. If you do not get at least low-30s on that run, something is wrong with the car.

BTW, 26 mpg seems low for a Corolla, even for a 12 year old one. You might look at your driving habits and see what you might do to squeeze out better fuel economy--e.g. do you stick to speed limits, accelerate gently, use a light foot on the gas, anticipate stops and keep your foot off the gas as much as possible, keep the tires inflated to at least the recommended pressure, etc.
  • Options
    Hi Guys,

Just have a question. I phoned my local Hyundai dealer's service dept. and inquired about how much the 15,000 mile service and inspection would cost providing there were no other problems. The service manager said about $200. Does this sound about right?????? It seems high to me but then I haven't had a new car nor had one serviced at a dealer in a long time.
  • Options
    nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Member Posts: 811
    when we take our hyundai for service we do not ask for the mileage service as it costs too much. we ask for a oil change (every 3,500 miles) and have the tires rotated and balance every 7,000 miles) They inspect the car and let us know if there are any problems. The last time we had the tires rotated they noticed one of the shocks was leaking. they replaced it under warranty. We did have the air filter changed and a coolant flushed at almost 30,000 miles ( we had some coupons so we saved some money.In fact when we first bought our car in for service the service advisor recommended not to ask for the so called mileage service (7,500, 15,000 etc) as it cost more in the long run. we owned a total of 9 hyundais.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Your servicing plan sounds reasonable, no sence in paying for unnecessary fluff service.

Question: does your plan satisfy service requirements of the warranty?
  • Options
    we have never had any problems with them honoring the warranty. some of the things we had fixed under the warranty were fixing the rotors, replacing the radio, replacing the wiring harness and other things such as replacing our floor mats and even one of our fog lights. In the owners manual they have a section on do-it-yourself repairs so I think as long as you have the oil changed and do not abuse the car you will have no problems
  • Options
    I hope you are right. Good luck getting the warranty honored if, for example, you ever have a transmission problem and you did not have the transmission serviced under the manufacturer's specified service schedule.
  • Options
    we have never had a problem with warranty work on any vehicles we have owned.When they do the oil change they inspect all the fluids and other things.All our cars have manual transmission and they last longer than l00,000 miles.
  • Options
    A fluid inspection is not a fluid replacement. I am hoping for your sake that you don't have to come back to this discussion in a year or two and tell us that Hyundai refused a warranty claim because of failure to maintain the car per the manufacturer's service schedule.

Another thing to consider eventually is the timing belt replacement. How are you going to handle that one? It is expensive to replace, but if it breaks the engine is trashed.
  • Options
    we never have been refused a warranty claim. The dealer where we have our cars serviced has been excellant for warranty work. They inspect the belts and advise us when they need to be changed. They go beyond and do alot of extra things free. We do maintain our cars and average about l50,000 miles on them. We just do not ask for the mileage service, Our only vehicle with automatic transmission was our 2003 sonata. It had a defective transmission that was replaced when it had 4,000 miles. It started acting up when it had 50 miles.
  • Options
    You are fortunate to have such a great dealer for service.
  • Options
    we agree. It is hard to find a dealer like them. That is why we continue to use them. Alot of times if they were doing extended service we would drop the car off Saturday morning, get a loaner car and bring it back Tuesday night. Before my father passed away and was in the hospital on his final days they told us to keep the loaner car for the week or longer. As you can tell they go out of there way and we love to deal with them (no b.s.)What warranty work have you had done?
  • Options
    On my 5-door, not much--it is only a little over 2 years old. The driver's side vanity mirror cover broke off (it had help) and the visor was replaced. There was condensation in one of the headlight covers and that was fixed. That is about it for warranty claims; it has been a very reliable car. I follow the manufacturer's recommended service on it, including oil changes every 3000-3500 miles (first three years of maintenance were included in my purchase price). I had some warranty work done on my '01 sedan during the 5-1/2 years I owned it, the biggest of which were an 02 sensor replaced and some clutch bushings replaced. It was also a reliable car; my sister recently bought it from me. I followed the manufacturer's recommended servicing on that car too, and it didn't cost much. The only real expensive servicing on that car if you stick to the manufacturer's service schedule is every 60k miles.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Many years ago a friend who owned his own non-franchised car repair shop told me than "expensive" service for any car occurs at 30K and intervals thereof AND the most expensive service came at 60K and intervals thereof.

I thought that was good info for anyone considering a used car. (A used car with 65K could, provided all service was performed, be worth a little more than the same make/model/year with only 55K).
  • Options
    That might be true in general, but the there is little difference in services on my MPV for 30k and 60k. On the Elantra there is a big difference, mainly because of the timing belt. But it is good advice to check what service has been performed on a car before buying it. For example, I bought a used car in January with 84k on it. I found out it had not had the (expensive, including timing belt) 60k service, so I was able to negotiate that into the deal. I've found most used cars with over 60k (or 120k) have NOT had the 60k service performed--that is one reason the car is for sale!
  • Options
    Just filled the tank today. On the last tank I got 423 miles to the tank and the MPG figured out at 37.69. I'm in heaven.
  • Options
    hyundaiohyundaio Member Posts: 1
    Long Story short, I picked up my new 2006 GT Automatic and left on a road trip. Typical highway driving 65-70 for a couple hundred miles, stop for the night, drove 500 miles, stop, spend a few days, drove 600 more miles.

Got home and read the owners manual: "For the first 1200 miles, don't drive faster than 55 mph." :(

Any comments how this may have hurt my new car. Anything I can do about it?

great car, btw. If it would have been a rental I would have been very happy with it.
  • Options
    You probably didn't hurt it driving at those speeds, as long as you varied your speed somewhat (e.g. didn't cruise at one speed for hours). Doing things like full-throttle acceleration is worse than cruising at 70 mph, which on the AT Elantra is still at pretty low revs.

Anyway, you can't turn the clock back now so don't worry about it.
  • Options
    Just as a note, the manual also says that there's no break-in period for the car as well.

I did my best to keep it at 55 for the first 100 miles (and even then didn't always succeed), but after that, I just gave up. But I did work on varying the speeds for the first 1200.

55 mph? I'd be roadkill on some of the freeways around here at that speed.
  • Options
    dovid2dovid2 Member Posts: 90
    We bought an Elantra GLS in 2000 (same engine as yours). The first thing my wife did was take a 500-mile road trip, getting a ticket for going 93. When she got home, she asked me what the light on the dashboard saying "OD off" meant (higher revs, for one thing). The break-in is meant to help set the rings and prevent oil burning later in the car's life. After 85,000 miles, the car does not burn any oil. I think the beta engine is made out of titanium,