Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Do you guys just wash and dry the polished alloys on the Envoy, or do you apply some sort of wax to keep them nice and bright?
  • envoybobenvoybob Member Posts: 2
    Have owned my 2002 Envoy SLT for an enjoyable year until now - today at a little more than 13,000 miles, the famous "Service Engine Soon" light steadily appears. According to the manual, this is a malfunction of the emission control system. Has anyone else encountered this type of problem so I can face the dealer with the proper knowledge to get this fixed correctly the first time?
  • mtrammellmtrammell Member Posts: 125
    Monday, on the way home, my wife approached a stop sign at about 5 mph and applied the brake to stop. The TB slowed to about 1 mph, but would not stop. She stood on the brake pedal and it went all the way to the floor. The vehicle rolled thru the stop sign, across 4 lanes of traffic and finally came to a stop when it hit the curb on the far side of the intersection. A second later, she was hit by a 3 ton flatbed truck. Luckily, no one was injured. The TB suffered some major damage though. The truck hit the rear driver side quarter panel and tore it to pieces. The bumper cover was ripped off on the driver side and the whole rear end looks crooked. The rear door will close, but doesn't come close to sealing.

Called OnStar. OnStar checked the computer for codes - found none. They called a wrecker and the TB was carried to the nearest Chevy dealer. It was late and the service dept. was closed. Got there early the next morning and they were already checking it out. Of course, they couldn't reproduce the behavior. The service manager told me that the behavior I described was inherent to anti-lock brake systems. I remember my Silverado doing the same thing a while back, but my truck stopped (although it was out in the middle of the intersection). The service manager referred me to GM customer service.

Called customer service and started a case file. They took all the info and told me that another dept, that would be investigating the case, would call back within 48 hrs. I was surprised when they called back in 24 hrs. Had to explain the whole thing over again. They told me that the vehicles have a black box similar to that in an aircraft that records data. He said that he was going to have the service dept do a complete inspection and download the data. Then GM is going to send a rep to try and re-create the problem.

In the mean time, the dealer won't do anything with the wife's TB. They have their own body shop, but won't touch the vehicle now until GM finishes their investigation. So I guess the wife is going to be out a car for awhile. Not sure I'll be able to get her to drive it again anyway. I don't think she will ever trust it again.

Has anyone else had problems like this with their brakes? Is this really a problem with anti-lock brakes?

Mike .T.
    I'm glad to hear your wife was not injured. Did she try the parking brake? I'm wondering if that would have helped stop the vehicle. The only time I haven't been able to stop with ABS was on an ice-covered road.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    mtrammell, sorry to hear of your wife's accident. I can only imagine how shocked she must have been casually coming to a stop and the vehicle never stopping! It's a shame she didn't think to pull the parking brake... but often it's hard to think in a situation like that. I remember once I was at a red light early in the morning. A women was fixing her make-up and had her rear view aimed at her face vs. the road. She thought she was pulled up too far, since the light wasn't changing. I was right in back of her, but since she couldn't see the road (or my lights, not sure what was up with that?), she put the car in reverse and came plowing back into me. I probably had a good 2 or 3 seconds to react, but because it was totally unexpected my hand fumbled to find reverse, but couldn't get there in time. Either way keep us posted on what they find, and it's good to hear no one was hurt!

In regards to cleaning the polished aluminum wheels, after cleaning them with car wash soap, rinsing, and towel drying, I use a carnuba based wax to protect them. It keeps them shiny longer and makes them easier to clean next time. Just make sure you're not using an abrasive wax, and especially not a polish or it will dull the finish. For touch-ups I use Meguiars Quick detailer, which is also very mild and has carnuba in it.
  • envoyenvyenvoyenvy Member Posts: 24
    I have a hard time believing this is an inherrent ABS problem, as the lawyers would own GM and all of the other car makers using ABS.

Am I #10000?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You were number 10,000 Envoyenvy, but I deleted your "empty" post. Maybe the counter will reindex and restore you to your rightful place. Unless someone deletes their own message :-)

Steve, Host
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    Aren't there books (or at least booklets) available with the basic premise of "kids say the darndest things." I think someone should publish "Service Managers say the darndest things!" You can lead off with the quote "the behavior described [pedal to the floor and no braking action at all] is inherent to anti-lock brake systems."
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Thank you very much for the squeaky wheel post and your solution. That will really help me when I go to visit the service department, I have an appt on Mon. Let's hope that they will be able to fix my problem like they did yours. Cheers!
    An update to my previous postings with the mileage being recorded wrong when I took delivery of my Envoy.

First Item: I called the 1-800 GMC Customer Service number and they were able to tell me that my warranty was good for 36,050 miles. Those extra 50 miles were what was recorded erroneously on my paperwork as the miles on the vehicle at delivery. So to answer my million-dollar question, yes GMC does take into account the miles on your car at delivery and they adjust the warranty coverage appropriately. You all can call GMC as well and find out what your warranty mileage coverage is.

Second Item: After a couple of calls to the dealership and one message left on a manager's answering machine, my finance person finally called me back. He had to do some investigating (at first he did not believe me about the mileage being added to the warranty). The bottom line is that he has agreed to redraw up the paperwork with the correct mileage and I am going over there after work today to get the new paperwork. :-) He told me that they would change the mileage in their computer so that GMC will also be sure to get the updated data and adjust my warranty accordingly.

So for any of you out there that are buying new vehicles with miles on them, make sure that your mileage is recorded on your paperwork correctly so that GMC will adjust your warranty coverage. Yea - an extra 200-300 miles on the warranty does not sound like a big deal but I can just picture something going wrong with my Envoy at 36,234 miles and I would then be kicking myself for not having forced the dealership to record the correct mileage.

So all's well that ends well. It just took some "convincing"!
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    Let me take a swing at that. I have an easy preventative solution that works every time. I take my Envoy, and Blazer before that to a good car wash every two weeks even if their is snow up to my belt. I always get the spray wax treatment which naturally gets applied to the wheels. This application provides a barrier on the aluminum that keeps anything including brake dust from adhering. When ever you see a nice vehicle where the wheels are black in front and clean in the back, this tells me they never have their car washed and never rotate their tires. Also, once brake dust sticks to your aluminum wheels, you are done for. You will never get them clean again. So to sum up, wash and wax your car or truck often, and your wheels will always look great.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    The wheels already have a plastic coating on them which is damn good at repelling brake dust. A simple do it yourself car wash is all I usually do and they come clean.
  • tjpushtjpush Member Posts: 9
    I'd like to order a bug deflector for the hood, a set of weather deflectors for side windows, and mud guards for both the front and rear wheels. I have a 2 week old EXT with factory running boards(plastic). Should I just go to a Chevy dealer or somewhere online? How complicated if I am to install these by myself? (Part#s are extra help!) Thanks!
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Why would anyone let a dealer drive a new car long distances to deliver it? Why not demand that the car be trucked in on a flatbed. If the dealer wants to sell the car, he will oblige. The small difference in cost would be negligible. And if you wanted the car bad enough and the dealer said no, then you could pay for the tow. IMO, driving a brand new car 300 miles at highway speed should VOID your warranty, not be a cause for extending it.
  • envoy_xl_in_paenvoy_xl_in_pa Member Posts: 37
    Envoybob - while I have not had the dreaded SES light with the Envoy, I did have it plenty of times with the predecessor to our XL - a 95 Blazer. Provided that the SES light is on when you get to the dealership, they can read the code with their computer - on the Blazer, I believe it went in the cigarette lighter to do the download??? My experience with the Blazer was that it was always the EGR valve. Once the Blazer went out of warranty, I stopped replacing it. I just took it out, cleaned it, and ran the engine with the valve out for a few minutes to blow out the carbon. A free repair, compared to a big ticket bill.

Have you tried OnStar to see if they can read the code from the engine? They should be able to, if that light is on when you call.
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Warrantees from the automakers are very expensive when compared to what is available aftermarket. I do not believe all are created equal so as with everything else, buyer beware.
    I owned a 97 Dodge GC before my TB. For those who read Consumer Reports, the Grand Caravans were in the absolutely do not buy used section. Mine was a loaded ES type with AWD to boot. I was certain that someday this thing was going to get me. I shopped the Chrysler warrantee and they were asking $2200. I searched and came upon a company named Warrantee Gold. I bought 6 yrs 100K miles for approx $1200 and got "0" deducible for free.
    Now for the burn...
    Tried using it twice and never qualified under their legitimatly published exclusions.
    Rear auto load leveler failed but the warrantee excludes "Shocks", even if the shocks cost $700 for a pair. The Dodge parts book refers to these as leveling shocks so I had no leg to stand on.
    Second attempt was in regard to the parking brake components which was excluded due to the corrosion clause.
    Moral of my story is I lucked out with a Dodge which was very reliable and held together. I did feel a bit burned though that I never had a chance to prove myself as out thinking the insurance company.
    Warrantee Gold is still around and is always offering deals. Here's a little secret. If you call a service writer ask for additional incentives. You eventually get the supervisor who can do even better for a sign now commitment.
    They also offer a finders fee that was $50 so if a few of you get together and reference each other you can save a bit more..
    I'm personally still on the fence whether to throw the dice or buy the warrantee. Good news is that as long as the vehicle is still covered by the maker, you buy the coverage under the new car pricing. I figure I have a couple of year to decide what to do
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    There's typically no problem with having a dealer trade delivered. It's done all the time and in the years we operated our dealerships, didn't have one problem.

The accepting trade is treated just fine. Most cases retired folks who enjoyed making a few bucks and wanted to get out drove the cars. Not just anyone mind you...they did have to pass a background check and have a clean record. We used several couples who enjoyed driving up to 6hrs, had lunch and an afternoon away and a drive back.

A 300 mile Flat Bed Truck delivery isn't going to be cheap. Keep in mind someone is going to pay for it. Looking at it from the dealers viewpoint...the customer will in the end. Afterall, profit is allowed and encouraged...thus dealers can't always be expected to eat the costs. Why there seems to be a general thought of dealers shouldn't entitled to pass along costs is beyond me. Afterall, if as a business I'm treated like crap and not allowed to be of value..what value should I return to the customer?

Not taking sides mind you, but I have the advantage of seeing both viewpoints. I was in the business for many years but also live in the consumer world too. Especially now that I've been out for a few years.

Many don't believe this, but you get what you pay for. Same is true if the deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I'm actually about to buy a new car for my wife, and have every intention of getting exactly what she wants, delivered to her office, old car returned, and paperwork complete, etc...all like she's the queen I hold her to be. Won't be free, but if you are skillful in sales, you can sell the dealer on doing just about anything ;)

tim
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Tim, it sounds like we generaly agree on this point. If the dealer will pay for the tow great, if you don't want the car driven 300 miles then you can pay for the tow. Otherwise, order the car and wait for it to be delivered.
     We once bought a car from a local dealer who also had a dealership about 90 miles away. The car we wanted was 90 miles away. It was trucked in. We shared the cost.

Frank
  • flyersruleflyersrule Member Posts: 47
    I have never been able to get the autologin to work. I check the box and following the instructions, but it never remembers my id. What am I doing or what setting needs to be changed? I am using IE 6.

Also, with the new site, when I click on the bookmark that I set up for the old site, it no longer takes me to the last message that I read. What do I have to bookmark to make that happen?

Mark
    I always just click the Login button without entering my ID or password and it logs me in automatically. Leave it blank and try it.
    twinrotts - I'm a little leery about Warranty Gold. I have the Diamond plan on my other car, and they would not cover a MacPherson strut that I needed replaced. MacPherson struts aren't even in the list of exclusions. Even though you may save money on the aftermarket warranty, you may end up paying for it later when they won't cover stuff that they should.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I use IE6 too. Do you have your cookies turned on? Otherwise try deleting your temporary internet files (cookies and files). Click on Tools > Internet Options > General Tab (or similar) to find the delete button. Then close the browser and start over.

If that doesn't help, try asking our pros using the Technical Support Form.

By bookmarks, do you mean your Favorites in your browser or the bookmarks in our Message Center? If in your browser, our software has been tweaked - I think the last rollout messed up those URLs. If you can't add stuff to your Favorites now and have it work, let me know and I'll dig around the Ask the Town Hall Hosts or Town Hall New Look! discussions. I remember seeing someone having similar problems around here somewhere.

Hope this helps!

Steve, Host
  • cebtebcebteb Member Posts: 138
    I'm running IE5.1.6 for Mac and since the Site revision (I can't call what was done an upgrade), my Favorite no longer takes me to the "Last Page", just the page I was on when I logged the Favorite. I've tried several times to re-set the Favorite for this site, but when I come back in a few days, I return to where I set the Favorite, not the current "Last Page" like I did before the site change. That may be somebody's preference, but I always want to see what is currently being discussed, not everthing discussed since I last looked. BTW, the Login for me seems to work the same now as before, which is no problem.
  • envoybobenvoybob Member Posts: 2
    Honestly, it never crossed my mind to have OnStar run an engine diagnostic...I'll give them a call and sees what happens. I sure hope that GM has learned something since the 1995 production year! Thanks again for your help!
    cebteb, just subscribe to the discussion using the "subscribe" button after the last post. Then click on "read subscriptions" and it will show you the unread posts since your last visit. You can now set a bookmark here and it will solve your problem.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You might try resetting your Town Hall preferences (under My Preferences on the left of this page).

I am not sure if this will help but I have my list discussion set to Starting with the most recently active and it's working fine.

tidester, host
    Just to let everyone know - I chose to have my Envoy delivered as a dealer trade. As it has been mentioned in posts before, lots of others have done this as well and there has never been problems with the vehicles. It is an option for folks who are looking for a certain vehicle and don't want to order one. That was my choice!

If someone cares to explain just how a dealer trade "should void" the warranty and is so horrible a thing to do to a new car, I am more than willing to read what you have to say - I am interested in what damage might have been done to the vehicle.

The dealer trade was also not supposed to be the focus of my previous postings (#9978 & 10005). I only mentioned it in regards to the fact that my Envoy was delivered with 324 miles on it that was not recorded properly on the paperwork. That all along has been my issue, not the fact that the Envoy was a dealer trade. I also wanted to mention it in case someone bought a demo vehicle or whatever that had miles on it when they bought it. I was trying to raise the awareness of folks that those miles at delivery get added into the warranty.

Thank you
    Some of you are probably already aware of this website - but I just discovered it and found some good info on it:

http://service.gm.com

You can click on 'gm techlink' and it will take you to an online magazine for the dealers - which also has a lot of good info for owners. It includes any new bulletins released for that month from GM as well.
    If someone cares to explain just how a dealer trade "should void" the warranty and is so horrible a thing to do to a new car, I am more than willing to read what you have to say - I am interested in what damage might have been done to the vehicle.

Supposedly during the break-in period you are not supposed to drive the vehicle over 55 mph or drive at a constant speed for a considerable amount of time. Whether or not there is any solid evidence that shows this will cause long-term damage, I do not know. Some people are more anal about this than others...
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    If I can install these items on my '03 TB anyone can! The bug deflector comes with pre-drilled holes that line up with the holes under the hood. All you need is a screwdriver and 5 minutes time. Honest it's the eaisest install you will ever do. The box said that the bug deflector fits '02-'03.
    The vent visors require alittle more time and effort. Just make sure you check and recheck the placement of the vent visors BEFORE you remove the red tape. Once those babies are on they are on.
    Just take your time and good luck!
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Just go to any Pep-Boys, Autozone,Wally World. They have them right on the shelf. The vehicle it fits is written right on the box. I got both of my for under $100.
    Most of my bug collisions end up on the front grille. So where does the bug deflector deflect them from, the windshield?
  • twinrottstwinrotts Member Posts: 161
    Redline - Interesting about the denied coverage on your struts. Did you challange the decision and speak with them personally?
    I took that approach when they refused payment on my load leveler. They were very courteous and took the time to explain why coverage was denied. They read me the part description and it indeed was called out as an exclusion
  • ylabylab Member Posts: 46
    Our triplets by law must employ OBDII (On Board Diagnostics 2), part of the requirement is for ANY and ALL emissions fault to set off the light. The most common issue for seeing this light (on any make/model vehicle) believe it or not is having the GAS CAP not quite completely locked! Three or more drive cycles with the cap not quite tight enough will result in an error being set and the SES light turned on.

(My sister's new Subaru even had it happen two weeks after purchase when the attendant failed to sufficiently tighten the cap).

Bad news is that unless OnStar can turn off the light remotely, you're looking at a trip to the dealer to have it turned off. (Even if its simply the gas cap).

Ray
    I had the service engine soon light come on which I think was because of a loose gas cap. I didn't know what the problem was at the time, but I noticed it being off shortly after filling it up with gas.
    If I get bored I'll test it.
  • delrickdelrick Member Posts: 105
    Had that problem on the first trip I tool with our 2002 Envoy XL.

In my case, I took it to the nearest discount tire dealer and had all 4 wheels balanced.

Took care of it.

That was my second new GM vehicle that had inadequte factory balance.

I think they must balance at 30 MPH.
    Redline - Interesting about the denied coverage on your struts. Did you challange the decision and speak with them personally?

My service advisor at the dealership told me they denied coverage on the struts, then he said they would do a goodwill replacement of it even though it was no longer under warranty. So the replacement didn't end up costing me anything. Looking back now I probably should have called WG after the fact to find out why they wouldn't cover it. I still have 20K left on my WG warranty, so maybe I'll get the chance to try and use it again. Although, I hope I don't need to.
    hillfla - On which piece of paperwork from the dealership is your odometer reading? I was looking through my paperwork and the only place I could find it was the Odometer Disclosure Statement. Mine says 206, so I'm wondering if I'll be covered if I hit 36,205 miles and have a failure.
    The official ODO Statement is where the record of miles is located. No, you will not have your warranty extended beyond the 36,000 mile mark. If you drive a vehicle as I did before purchasing it, putting on over 300 miles...your warranty is still 36,000.

If you lease a vehicle and it has 300 miles on it...it's up to you to negotiate those miles off the lease via an agreement on price. That is even the leasing company will look at the ODO exactly...that is the dealer will have to put down the 300 miles on the ODO thus on a 15k mile per year lease, you're already 300 miles into the use. Thus I suggest taking the mileage charge should you go over x the 300 miles ($.15x300) and ask for that amound off the costs incurred.

Sorry to go over a little on the subject.

tim

"hillfla - On which piece of paperwork from the dealership is your odometer reading? I was looking through my paperwork and the only place I could find it was the Odometer Disclosure Statement. Mine says 206, so I'm wondering if I'll be covered if I hit 36,205 miles and have a failure."
    Bug Deflectors on the Triplets do very little if anything to help prevent the windshield from being hit. However, it does great for protecting the hood.

tim

"Most of my bug collisions end up on the front grille. So where does the bug deflector deflect them from, the windshield? "
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I never gave it much thought that these shields actually deflect bugs! I always had the impression since putting one on my last three vehicles, that a wave of air does slightly push up the bugs rather than collect them on the front! But mostly I ve always seen that deflectors help protect the edge of your HOOD! from rocks, stones, that fly up from trucks ect...on the HWY. They work great! If you ever get a chance, next time your at the mall look at a vehicle that is oh 5 years old, maybe older! CHIPS UP THE YING YANG, if the do not have a bug shield or deflector. I have also found these shield do help at resale, because you can take them off and the front of the hood looks like new with no dings and scraps front road debris!
    I don't know if I am an unusual case because I live in Missouri and here we are required to file our own title and licensing - we even have to go pay our own sales tax! (this is totally different than Florida and CA where I have lived before).

Anyways - several of my papers have the odometer reading. The bill of sale has it noted, the title has it, and my Missouri tax and licensing paperwork has it as well. Here in MO we do not get an ODO but I do know that the title is in leiu of an ODO.

Now for the warranty issue. I'm sorry, tlauro, but I don't think you are right with your statement:

"No, you will not have your warranty extended beyond the 36,000 mile mark. If you drive a vehicle as I did before purchasing it, putting on over 300 miles...your warranty is still 36,000."

I confirmed with both GMC customer service and the dealership that the miles DO get added to the 36,000 mile warranty. I called the GMC customer service number 1-800-462-8782. I gave them my VIN and name and he looked up my vehicle and was able to tell me exactly how long my warranty was good for. In my case, he told me my warranty was 36,050. That comes directly from the GMC computer using my VIN. Those 50 miles were what was on my title and bill of sale (although yesterday I went to the dealership and had it changed to 324 miles and the GMC computer was updated as well).

Just my two cents worth and what I have been able to find out doing some research. I recommend that you call the 1-800 number and see what they tell ya. As for a leased car, I have no idea what the situation on the warranty would be then.
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    Thought I'd give a glimpse as to what brush guards and taillight guards look like on my '02 Bravada.
    I was pleasantly surprised when I went to pick up my truck. The pictures on driversfx.com showed these brush guards and taillight guards, but what I got was indeed custom shaped to the Bravada.

Also if you look at the close ups of the taillight guards on my site, I'd like to point out the mounting tab closest to the front of the vehicle. It's a metal tab hard mounted inside the taillight assembly. The reason I point this out is because on my previous vehicle, a '98 Explorer limited, I had Wagg taillight guards. And where the tab I'm pointing out was on the Wagg pieces there was a little plastic tab that snapped onto the grills of the taillight guards, and then attached to the taillight lens with double sided 3-M mounting tape which lost it's stickiness all the time and required constant replacement. To see what I'm blabbering about check out Tim Lauro's Wagg's.

By the way Tim, I'm not trying to insult your taillight guards. This was just a feature on the Manik parts that really impressed me.

Also I would like to add my comments on getting a few of the TSB's taken care of.

Here's a list of what I had taken care of.

01-01-38-014 Heater - Insufficient Heat To Driver's Feet.
    02-09-40-003 Passenger seat shoulder belt too tight or cinches up.
    02-04-21-008 Shudder, Rocking Motion, Binding, Feels Like Vehicle is Stuck in 4WD (Crow Hop) When Turning at Low Speeds.
    02-08-62-001 Loose front end.

All of the TSB fixes were applied and, knock on wood, appear to be working.

I took some snap shots of what I believe to be the new duct work under the dash on the driver's side, and the new front end brackets. If you want to take a look, go to my site and you will find them under pictures.

If someone with an '02 triplet without the "Insufficient Heat To Driver's Feet" TSB applied would do me a favor, I'd like to know if my picture of the new duct work under the dash matches up to what you have. That way if what I took a picture of isn't new I can remove it.

In addition to the TSB's I asked my service advisor if they could do anything about the windows not wanting to roll up all the way at freeway speeds during high cross winds. When I picked up my vehicle he said they adjusted and lubed the window channels. I won't know if it fixed it till I get some high cross winds to test it out.

Also my front passenger seat control module died. They replaced it, and my wife has her bad back fixer/warmer back.

If I've left any confusing gaps or if you want more information, let me know.
  • envoyeurenvoyeur Member Posts: 9
    John, I noticed on your site that you have the rear air deflector. I was contemplating that purchase for my Envoy since the rear window seems to get filthy after just a few minutes of driving. Has the deflector worked well at keeping the rear window cleaner and how easy/hard was it to install?
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    I have driven my Bravada basically the same since I bought it - commuting and 'round town (shopping, etc.). I currently have about 14K miles on it and yesterday I picked up another tenth on the average (to 18.5). This is the average since new as I've never reset the average on the DIC. I wouldn't have guessed that it would still be increasing at this point. I know other factors can come into play, but I'd guess I'm averaging about 19mpg currently to have improved to 18.5 overall from the 14 starting point.
  • rye78rye78 Member Posts: 16
    I have a 2002 4x4 LS model that I purchased in November of '01. I now have 21,000 miles on it. For the most part I have been doing all my own oil changes and tire rotations. I also put on the K&N Air Charger intake. So those three maintanence issues are taken care of. I am going to be taking the truck into the dealer for some routine service being that it hit 20,000 miles. Now I know this might be a broad question, but what problems or TSB's or upgrades should I have them looking at. I ask this because I know they wont do any of them without me asking and because a lot of you have had a lot of them done.

My other question is about the warranty. I installed the K&N aircharger intake. Does this void my warranty or what? I've heard that it only voids the warranty of the air cleaner and box. But I also heard that it totally voids the warranty as a whole. Anyone have any insights? Thanks
    Check out my previous post regarding your clean question.

giddens_john Dec 12, 2002 4:09pm

Now as for installation, I actually didn't install the rear air deflector, the dealer did. That said however, I believe it isn't too difficult to install with the right equipment. I don't know if you noticed the install sheet in the pics section on my site, I would suggest looking it over. My biggest area of concern would be drilling the sheet metal perfectly aligned. Going slow and taking measurements in excessive amounts should alleviate any problems.
    I can only comment on the TSB's. Your right about this being a broad question. Obviously you can't have them look up every TSB and check your vehicle for it, which would be the reason the dealerships hate the internet's public access to them. I would recommend looking at the TSB's at Tim's site under "problems" and finding the one's that address problems you've noticed and stick to those specific one's. Also look at GM Techlink and go through all of those. Be aware that some service advisors hate having the TSB's pointed out to them and some don't. I would suggest making a list of the TSB's that apply to you and printing them out to give to your service advisor. You could even go a step further and describe your problems in your own words with the TSB's noted at the end and print that out, which is what I did.

Keep in mind that the dealership is going to have to confirm the problem before they will attempt to fix it. What my service advisor did was have me bring my truck in, show him and describe to him the problems. He then got a tech to go on a test drive with me so I could show the tech my binding problem and how to recreate it. Then they kept my truck for a day to go over the problems and confirm them. Then had me pick my truck up from the dealership the next day and continue driving it till the parts came in so I wouldn't be paying $6.50 in tax per day on the rental car while they did nothing waiting on the parts . He then called me when the part's got in to bring the truck back. This may sound like a drawn out process, but I got the problems fixed the way I wanted with minimal fuss.
    Does anyone have the details of this TSB available to them?
    02-08-64-024; Discoloration/Fading of Door Glass Molding; 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    The grille guard looks awesome! If you get a chance, could you post some pics to your site of how it actually mounts. Did they remove the black plastic piece on the bottom of the lower fascia?