Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    Does the grille guard help protect against bug collisions too, or does it protect your front end when driving through the forest?
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Due to thier ignorance or company policy many dealers will tell you that the warranty is void.

They will also try to charge you money for new parts on a trade in.

This is all false.

A link below to the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 :

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

As I understand it the air kit must have a CARB number to be used in California and pass emission inspection. I do not live in CA, so I am in the dark on that.
  • dan165dan165 Member Posts: 653
    Just thought I would pop in and report back on my Bravada.

We have about 24K kms on the dial and still have nothing to report in terms of problems. The truck is solid, starts nice in the cold, handles great in the snow (we have had lots this winter) and is all comfort.

Highly recommend the Bravada though you don't see many on the road. I guess it's being replaced by the Rainier this year.
  • bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    Your picture of your '02 Bravada looks real nice with the brush guard. I have an '02 black Bravada and haven't bought step rails yet. Your black and silver would look awesome on mine. What do you have? Cost and where to get? Thanks...
    Bobbies
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    "Does anyone have the details of this TSB available to them?
    02-08-64-024; Discoloration/Fading of Door Glass Molding; 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy, Oldsmobile Bravada"

TSB 02-08-64-024
    Subject:Discoloration/Fading of Door Glass Molding

Models:2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT 2002 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL 2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

Some of the above listed vehicles may exhibit spotting, discoloration, fading, low gloss or a dirty appearance of the door glass belt molding and window channel weather strip. This may be due to exposure to the elements.

Apply rubbing alcohol to a clean shop towel and clean the moldings. Let air dry. This will remove any dirt or contaminants from the moldings.

Apply Armor All to a clean shop towel and wipe the molding with even pressure. Allow to air dry.

This procedure may have to be repeated after the vehicle is washed or when the moldings look spotty or discolor.

Do not apply Armor All to the inside of the window channel.

If Armor All should contact the glass, clean it off or it will streak the glass.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products from this firm or for any such items which may be available from other sources.
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    To cmack4, thank you for pointing out the missing air dam, I was too honeymooned to notice. I'll take some close up pictures of the four mounting points for you. They should be up by the time you read this near the bottom of the pics page.

Well looks like I need to chew on someone's rear end at the dealership. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I looked at an install sheet for brush guards your supposed to cut the air dam to accommodate the brush guard. Not completely remove it. Watch them try to pull the old sorry we threw it in the trash. Does anyone know the part number for the Bravada's front air dam by chance? I tried looking at gmpartsdirect to no avail. I just wanted to know how much one cost to throw it in the accessory manager's face. If not, no need to put much effort into searching for it as I'll call the dealership's part's dept. Monday morning to find out. I'd put the install sheet up if I had one, but the accessory manager claimed he didn't get one and had to have one faxed to him, which will probably be his excuse for removing the air dam. Sorry if I'm jumping up on the old soap box over this, but this burns me up considering it took 11 months of me poking and prodding plus hand delivering the manufacture and part numbers several times to get the darn brush guard from the dealership.

To redline65, I suppose if we ever needed to deal with some "Starship Troopers" size bugs, it would deal with them real quick :') but I believe it's intended for vegetation and such in off road situations. It also provides superior protection for your headlights and grille. With this one being stainless steel and such it's more of a cosmetic enhancement for me. Don't get me wrong, it's built strong enough to serve it's intended purpose, I'm just not likely to use it for that. I just like the visual impression it gives, plus I noticed in my previous Explorer, people tend to get the he@# out of my way in the fast lane on the highway a little bit more with a brush guard:')

To bobbies, the clear anodized Side Steps are a GM product. Part #12497680. Check out GM Parts Direct for pricing. If you do an advanced search on them here, you'll probably see them discussed quite a bit. You can also get them in all black. You can get them from your dealership at a price premium from the parts department, Vaseline not included, extra charge will be applied :')

Thanks for the TSB details nuyorkah, their solution is how I've been handling it. To bad there's no permanent solutions. Gotta love them UV rays.
    Just to let those who are interested know, I've added scans of the official GM accessories catalog for the 2002 Bravada to my site. It's on the parts page. Good old gmgoodwrench.com still doesn't have it on their page so I couldn't include a PDF of it. I got the catalog mailed to me a long time ago, I just neglected to add it to the site. There's nothing new to speak of that I noticed in the catalog.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    Hello all here is the problem I lease a 2002 Trailblazer LT EXT . I was driving and a rock hit the windshield . There is a very tiny crack in it now and I wanted to know since there is no glass coverage do I have to take it to a GM dealership to have it fixed? I know that it has to be fixed before I turn the truck in but does anyone know if I can have it fixed else where? And would it affect the ON-Star in the rear view mirror? Is that attached through the glass? Only asking because before the truck I had a Chevy Venture and the attena for the raido was in the windshield. If anyone can help with some information that would be helpful let me know. Also another quick question on the rear of the truck around the linsce plate housing the black sealing seems to be peeling can anyone tell me if they have had this problem and if it goes to the dealership how long does it take to have it fixed? thanks for all your help
  • monstersincmonstersinc Member Posts: 13
    www.gmpartsdirect.com to buy gm parts thru the mail

Note - The part numbers below are for TB EXT models. Contrary to what GM says, you can install the front mudguards with the factory running boards (BVE) on the TB Ext (I had no problems).

Rear mudguards (molded) with chevy bowtie P/N 12497609
    Front mudguards (molded) with chevy bowtie P/N

(Each set was $20.30 + handling)

I went with the front bra and hood cover set instead of the bug deflector. That's P/N 12497817
     ($61.60) for any Trailblazer
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    If it's a "new" crack and small (say, quarter size or so), check out one of the "windshield doctor" places. They will even come to you and glue a fix in place and it's barely noticeable. Don't wait long though - it works better the newer the crack is. Put some scotch tape over the crack if you can't get it checked for a few days.

I had one done and my insurance paid for it (~$35). I don't think the dealer will ding you for having this done when you turn the Trailblazer in either.

Steve, Host
  • monstersincmonstersinc Member Posts: 13
    Here some highlights of changes to come to 2004 TB EXT models:

Deletions
    • Light Oak and Medium Oak interiors
    • Exterior color: (11U) Pewter and (58U) Sandalwood
    New Features
    • New Packaging
    • New exterior colors: (67U) Light Silver Metallic, (44U) Medium Red Metallic and (15U) Sandstone Metallic
    • (JF4) Electrical adjustable pedals
    • (UM8) Navigation radio
    • (U2K) XM Satellite radio
    • Light Cashmere Cloth reclining bucket seats
    • Light Cashmere Premium Two-tone leather seating surfaces
    • (N74) 17" wheels (The North Face Edition)
    • (N75) 17" wheels (TrailBlazer EXT)
    • Last door locking feature: system operates when last door is closed
  • envoyenvyenvoyenvy Member Posts: 24
    I came across something for the door glass molding fading problem that works well for me. I tried Mother's Back to Black, it works pretty well but was difficult to apply smoothly and is a bit of a mess if you get it on the paint, or the windows. Try the Turtle Wax colored wax for black vehicles. It was even easier for me as my Envoy is black, no worries about getting it on the paint. I don't think it would show on other colors if you get a bit on the paint, but you might want to try it in an inconspicuous place first. I had the molding on my list to have the dealer look at, this worked well enough for me to take it off my list, and I am pretty picky. It does not leave a real glossy appearance, just smooths out the fading and makes it look as it did originally. I just apply it like normal wax. Lasts for quite a while too.
    monstersinc - How about a tire pressure monitoring system? Isn't the government requiring these soon?
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    silicone grease - case closed!

It's somewhat of a pain to apply, but lasts much longer than Back to Black.
    Can you recommend a place to purchase silicone grease. Reason I ask is I was just at the auto part store yesterday looking for some to fix a squeaking door gasket, and all I could find was little tubes of dielectric silicone grease that was quite expensive. I was hoping there would be a source for the stuff that would offer larger amounts at lower prices.
    I got some at the local Ace Hardware to lubricate the rubber O rings in my home water filters. It wasn't cheap there either - about a buck an ounce iirc.

The I read my filter manual and it said to use plain old Vaseline, so either my O rings aren't rubber and won't degrade from the Vaseline or the manufacturer wants to sell me new O rings every few years :-). Petroleum jelly is cheap, but I wouldn't recommend it on your gaskets.

Steve, Host
  • daytripdaytrip Member Posts: 10
    Over the weekend my '02 Envoy developed an intermittent squeal. It sounds like it is coming from the right front, possibly the wheel. When it does happen, it starts at about 25 to 30 MPH and quits when the speed drops below those numbers. Has anyone else had this experience? Any ideas what it might be?
  • mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Mileage at delivery IS NOT included in your warranty or lease allowance.

As the Warranty states:

"The warranty period for all coverages begins on the date the vehicle is first delivered or put in use and ends at the expiration of the coverage period." ... "Prior to delivery, some mileage is put on your vehicle during testing at the assembly plant, during shipping and while at the dealer facility. The dealer records this mileage at delivery. This mileage will be added to the mileage limits of the warranty ensuring that you receive full benefit of the coverage."

I was once told, however, that Ford vehicles do not include this in their terms.

Regarding lease mileage: On every one of my leases (all GM) it states clearly the mileage at delivery and the allowable mileage at lease end. This always has the base mileage plus the mileage at delivery. Example: My new Tahoe: 44 miles at delivery, Allowable mileage (2 years/12k/yr) 24,044 miles.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    I got some at a parts store but can't remember how much it cost. A little goes a long way, though, and lasts a long time.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    The pressure monitoring system will be required for all vehicles starting in 2006.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    Is anyone else having trouble entering the VIN number. I have faxed my info, mailed the info, and spoken over the phone to different people at the link and they say the server is being updated. Should be up and running by late Feb. Is there anything else I can do?
  • paulyjsobpaulyjsob Member Posts: 48
    In reference to the squeal... it's the axle seal that starts squealing... here is the TSB info:

NHTSA Number: 628130
    Bulletin Number: 141101
    Bulletin Date: NOV 2001

I just had this done to my TB.
    Is anyone else having trouble entering the VIN number. I have faxed my info, mailed the info, and spoken over the phone to different people at the link and they say the server is being updated. Should be up and running by late Feb. Is there anything else I can do?

It probably took about 4-6 weeks after I bought my Envoy XL before the VIN number would register in My GMLink. Just keep trying.
  • obravadaobravada Member Posts: 37
    I had my windshield replaced in my '02 Bravada due to a crack that extended almost the entire width of the windshield. You don't have to bring it to a GM dealer to have it repaired. Since I have full glass coverage on my Bravada I had to call my insurance company to file a claim. They have a list of preferred companies that they do business with and I had to choose from their list, otherwise they would not cover the replacement costs that exceed what they are willing to pay. I have the rain sensor in my windshield, so I made sure that the replacement windshield was identical before they replaced it. On-star was not effected since the connection does not go thru the windshield, it's only anchored to the windshield, the wires drop down from the lining in the front of the vehicle. I hope you have some kind of insurance to cover the damage as the replacement windshield listed for $1,083.85, but the insurance company was only charged $335.99 plus $40.00 labor to install. The replacement was done in the parking lot where I work in 20 degree weather. I watched the entire job which was completed in about one hour. I have not had any problems with wind noise or water leaks. Good luck........
    I have a question to those that have removed their headlight assembly. My issue is with the two metal tabs that lift up as detailed on Tim's website step #3.

On my Bravada the outside clips on both headlight assemblies don't want to budge, I mean to the point that the tabs are bending. I'm pulling straight up to no avail. Has anyone else had difficulties with this? Is there some trick I'm not aware of.
  • smmillersmmiller Member Posts: 19
    When is the title of this forum going to change to include the Isuzu Ascender?

Anyone driven one yet? have they cheapened any of it?

For those of you talking about extended warranties this new quadruplet comes with a better warranty to boot:

http://www.isuzu.com/owners/warranty/post_2003.html

http://www.isuzu.com/models/ascender/index.html
    When is the title of this forum going to change to include the Isuzu Ascender?

There is another topic for the Ascender. Why they chose to make it a different topic, I do not know. I have test driven one and it is nearly identical to the Envoy XL. The fake wood is a little lighter in color, and it does not have some of the nicer interior trim as the Envoy XL. The front fascia is different, and the rear end is a little different too. The wheels are Isuzu badged, and are styled a bit different from the Envoy/TB. I wouldn't say it is a cheapened version, the fit and finish seemed on par with the GM triplets. I'm not sure you can get it with leather though.
    I think this board was started to compare the "triplets" and there is an Isuzu Ascender discussion.

I know it's "GM", but is it really a rebadged twin extended Trailblazer/Envoy? And do the GM fans want it lumped in here :-)

Steve, Host
    Steve - Yep, the Ascender really is a rebadged extended TB/Envoy. If you are going to lump it in here, might as well throw the Buick Rainier in too.
    Well, there is something to be said for separate discussions too :-)

Steve, Host
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    Don't even think about putting that truck in this forum!
  • smmillersmmiller Member Posts: 19
    if the only difference between the original triplets and the ranier and the ascender is cosmetics then why not?

they're built in the same factories using almost all the same components.

seems to me they should all be included here.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    Do NOT follow the TrailBlazer instructions for the Bravada. It is literally a 30 second (ok 2 minutes the first time) operation on the Bravada. You don't remove anyting else; no grill, no trim, etc. Around the center top of the headlight assembly is a metal tab that you pull up (pull slightly forward and up). That's it. The headlight will be loose and you just pull it forward on the fender side, pop off the round rubber plug, and pull the bulb out. I bought the new bulb and installed it in the parking lot in just a couple of minutes total.
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    I'd be ok with the Rainier in this forum, just not the Ascender.
    The Rainier is replacing the Bravada, so it belongs.
    The Ascender is just a marketing tool that will hopefully disappear soon.
    Just my very biased opinion. I really don't like the idea of seeing my Envoy with the "Joe Isuzu" badge on it.
    Hey everyone thanks for the info it is a small crack so it can be repaired . I will have to have it done next week as this week all 3 kids are sick and in and out of the doctors office. I didn't know that there was a way of repairing a crack on a windshield always thought that it had to be replaced.
    Does anyone else have a problem with the trailblazer around the lincse plate holder? It seems that the black sealant is peeling around the housing. If you have had this problem and had it fixed please let me know how long it was at the dealership for as this is my only means of transportation and to get an answer from the dealership is like asking the wall for help.
    It seems that the black sealant is peeling around the housing.

I guess the bandaid for the chipped paint around the license plate housing isn't holding up too well?
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I found my 02TB at another local dealer and then arranged a swap. When I picked it up, it had 350 miles and the dealer was only about 10 miles away. I noticed the window sticker had the name of a dealer in Buffalo. The other local dealer swapped with Buffalo and by the time I got it it had the 350 miles on it. The title says 350 and the warranty does goes to 36,350. As far as the break-in issue goes, I was worried at first until I spoke to a friend that is a GM mechanic. He told me no harm will be done putting the 1st mileage on the highway.
    Thanks for the reply st1100v4. I realized I didn't need to go to the extent that one has to for the Trailblazer, but Tim's site had a good picture of the two metal tabs that need to be pulled up on each headlight assembly, so that's why I mentioned it. Does yours only have one metal pull up tab per headlight assembly? Mine had two each, and the outboard side clips on each headlight assembly were quite stubborn. I ended up having to use a screwdriver to pry up a little bit on the outside tabs for them to pop up. Not a lot of force, just a little more than I could achieve by hand. Over all it was as easy as you stated. Here's a little pic of the two clips as seen on a Bravada.
    My one error was thinking that I needed to pop loose the two clips that hold the grill in place near the hood latch to allow the headlight assembly to swing out more. To give me a little more room for my hand to get in there and twist the bulb out. After breaking the first clip that I tried to squeeze down to pop loose, I didn't mess with those any more and found I didn't need to try that at all on the second headlight assembly. Now knowing GM, I can't get one of those clip's without ordering a whole new headlight assembly.

So a word of caution to fellow Bravada owners. Learn by my mistakes and don't jack around with those two clips. If you see one of these, stay away :')
    I have another question on the headlights concerning adjustment. I wanted to confirm the white plastic torx head screws were the adjustment screws. And that the only adjustment available is vertical movement, no horizontal movement.
    If the included pics are too small, I have the original size pics on my site under pics. Let me know if the pics I posted are too small, so I'll know better than to post them next time.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    Sorry about that! Just shows how bad my memory is since it was less than a month ago that I changed a bulb. I just walked outside and the tabs are as you stated (and pictured); two on each assembly. All 4 popped up easily (including the two on the other side that I hadn't messed with). Probably pretty easy for these to bind a bit.

When I initially looked at it when changing the bulb, I also thought that the inboard end of the light would have to be "unclipped" from the grill, but found that there was plenty of play.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Anyone have a fix for the wind noise that appears to come from the center door pillar. It appears to come from the top of the rear window (near the front of the windows). My Bravada was not bad, but my Envoy is worse. I have taped off various seams, but that hasn't helped. The mirrors are not the problem. Could it be the roof rack? I have already removed the cross bars.

For those of you with rainsense wipers, the rainsense feature can be disabled by pulling the rainsense fuse. The delay feature works as normal.
    I did not like the way mine worked, slowing down when the light of oncoming traffic and speeding up after the car would pass.

GAM
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    gam2 did you notice anything else that might have stopped working since you pulled the fuse?

Which fuse panel is the fuse in?

Frank
  • condoriolecondoriole Member Posts: 39
    I have not had the problem that many of you are referring to in regards to paint chipping off around the license plate holder, at least not yet anyway. Perhaps this may be of some help. When I first received the TB it came with plastic advertising plates. Once I received my real plates I took both plastic plates and stacked them both behind the back plate and screwed it in place without the plastic holder around the outside. The result is the plastic plates create enough of a space between the truck and the real plate that it doesn't seem to be rubbing at all and since there is no holder around the outside that is not a problem either. I left the front holder on since it's not causing a problem. I guess only time will tell if this works or not but it seems to be okay so far.
    The problem is not with the license plate itself, but with the large plastic frame it sits within. Approximately 2 feet by 1 foot in size. The problem with early models is that the paint chips where the plastic housing meets the metal of the tailgate.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I have a 02 TB LS and I miss the electrochromic rearview mirror like we have in the Impala. Does anyone know if is possible to just replace the regular rearview mirror with the electrochromic rearview mirror, plug it in (if the connection is up there)and it would work? Would the compass and tempature work also? thanks
    That's a easy one then, don't use it.
    Ok...I guess I didn't explain it very well. Here's a link to Tim's website that shows in graphically:
    http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/paint-chipping-before-af- ter.htm
    Aaaahhhhh! Never mind. Thank you. I take it this has been fixed for 2003?
  • hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Well - looks like the 2003s have the same problem that a lot of you with 2002s have commented on regarding the vibration/droaning noise present at highway speeds. My Envoy has a build date of Aug 2002, it is a 2003 truck.

I took it into the dealer earlier this week for this problem, they ordered new springs for it and I am expecting a call back when the parts come in. According to what I have read in this forum, that does not always fix the problem. Anyone have any other ideas on what to fix so I can tell my service manager? Thanks!
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    Good luck on that one. I get a vibrating and rumbling through my gas pedal and the floorboard around it as well over 40 MPH. At 70 MPH it makes your foot feel like its in a tickle machine. I had the springs replaced just like you are about to have done and it did nothing. They said it must be the torque converter, but I have shut the engine off at 70 and the vibration doesn't stop until it slows down to 40 so you can eliminate torque converter. Cant be the tires, the steering wheel is rock solid quiet. The dealer says they cant recreate but I figured out why, the problem doesn't occur below 20 degrees which has been the maximum temp since December. They tell me the pedal cant vibrate since its throttle by wire or what they call an actuator, but it does. I know im not crazy since other bullitain boards that are for Envoy owners report the same problem. No one seems to complain about it on this thread. As soon as its a warm day the dealer said he would take another stab at it. I have to tell you its so annoying, as soon as my Envoy qualifies for GM's pull through lease program, I may just dump it if they cant fix it.