Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I think that GM needs to get it together and maybe concentrate on one car company instead of three ,four or however many they are up to now

Nah, then they would turn into another boring "one car fits all" company. I personally like the variety that GM offers, and I'm saddened to see Oldsmobile go since they had some really nice vehicles. My wife likes the looks of the Envoy but isn't very fond of the Trailblazer. If GM only made the Chevy version we would have bought elsewhere.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Among the changes on the new 2004 models:

"Replace neon CHMSL with LED CHMSL (changes appearance when lit only)"

I had to have the CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Lamp) replaced under warranty a while back. Ironically, Ford began replacing their neon third brake lights on the Explorer with LED versions several years ago... LEDs are cheaper, are just as bright (if not brighter) and last longer...about time GM got a clue.
  • envoyownerenvoyowner Member Posts: 42
    Thanks to all who have provided input on the hitch size/bike rack discussion. Yakima sounds great but I do like the idea of the Thule folding down to prevent people from "clotheslining" themselves. :-) Decisions, decisions.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    One of the main advantages for using LED brake lights is not cost or brightness or looks, it is that they turn on faster. If you watch them, they sort of snap on. The time difference is measurable. Taking in account the time it takes for your eyes to see the light and your mind to process the the information, LED brake lights can give you an extra car length to stop. This is the difference between a crash and a sudden but safe stop.

Frank
  • envoyownerenvoyowner Member Posts: 42
    Thanks to all who have provided input on the hitch size/bike rack discussion. Yakima sounds great but I do like the idea of the Thule folding down to prevent people from "clotheslining" themselves. :-) Decisions, decisions.
  • richlavoierichlavoie Member Posts: 56
    And now stories about the engine (see other post). I thought that one thing this veh probably had together was mechanic. It appears that I was wrong there too. I am getting very uncomfortable. I can live with some problems during the first three years as it is under warrenty. But I was buying this truck for 10 years. I can't imagine having to change the engine, and fix all of the other problems after the warranty is over. The cost would be worst then buying a new car. FORD is bad for breaking down constantly after 4 of 5 years. Now GM will beat that by breaking down all the time right after it is out of the dealership.

I have ordered this car, but I have put 0 down. Does anyone know if I can cancel? The model I ordered is pretty standard, but for the 3.73 reas axle. I can't imagine going through all the problems people are having. Yah, it looks good and it rides fine, but there are just too many stories. Plus, I am buying for a dealer that is 600Km away from where I am. Dealing with an other dealer will probably make my life even more miserable.
  • tsd98tsd98 Member Posts: 6
    TB Transmission deep sixed at 23,400 miles. Symptoms were a loud bang, serious binding feeling and no reverse. I pulled a 3,000 pound boat with it for 30 miles once. That's the most work it's ever had to do. Other than that it has seen only highway miles and grocery getting duty. This is the 14th warranty trip to fix countless problems with this exploding lemon BOMB. That's more than one trip a month and most trips had multiple problems to be fixed. Will replacement tranny be a new or rebuilt unit? I have no idea what to do. I now hate this car but don't want to dump it off on someone else or even trade it in locally. Some nice unsuspecting old lady might buy it and get stranded on the side of the road somewhere. GM should come retrieve and recycle it in an attempt to make something better with the materials. Is there anything they will do for us victims?

In case it helps someone on this board.....This car also had a problem where both the BRAKE and ABS warning light would illuminate and the blower motor wouldn't operate. Code was U1000 according to OnStar and dealer. Dealer replaced the ignition switch.

What's with all this Ford bashing? I've seen lots of 'em hold up very well and even had two F-150s last 200K + miles with only minor problems. Every Ford we've ever owned put together had fewer problems than this Trailblazer. My sister (works for GM) has a '96 Explorer with 140K on it that has had the thermostat, a door latch, and a piece of plastic trim on the driver's seat replaced. That's it besides scheduled maintenance, tires, etc. I don't consider myself biased but let's call 'em like we see 'em. This platform is having excessive serious problems and GM has unloaded a expesive piece of crap on us. I won't be going back for another round.....that would just be continuing an abousive relationship.

Think we're about to get some good old legal action going concerning this POS......Sales literature didn't mention anything about car abusing the owner!
  • tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    Congrats on the new rack!

I mounted the Reese Four-Bike Carrier last summer for our bikes. Nice thing is that it tilts out of the way for access inside the gate. Theres even an option for a brake light that wires into the very end of it.

It sticks out quite a bit, but I bought the 4 bike carrier as we rode with our friends a lot and with kids in the future...well you never know. Not sure if I will keep it or sell it, but prolly will hang onto it in case I get another vehicle with a 2" hitch.

Pictures and details here:
    http://www.timlauro.com/cars/trailblazer/reese-bike-rack-mod.htm

tim
    YOU WROTE:
    "One of the main advantages.....This is the difference between a crash and a sudden but safe stop."

REPLY:
    Now if they could make it a factory option to fire the washer fluid spray from the rear window directly back at those kids in Hondas that tail behind you when you....oh....did I already rig that up ;) You bet I've made it work! Great for summertime when they have their car all cleaned up.
  • 2yearleaseonly2yearleaseonly Member Posts: 107
    Let me say right off my dealer is awesome. Took my Envoy and swapped wheels, tires, drive shaft, exhaust system, brackets to the transmission, and other assorted sundry items with a brand new Envoy. Still the vibrating pedal. He then switched em back, still the pedal vibrates. GMC had him measure the vibrations with a special machine, still no luck. All the while I had a free loaner for 8 days which I travelled 1100 miles instead of putting those miles on my lease.

They are out of ideas and called the zone manager to get me a free extended warranty and extended maintenance plan till the end of the lease. I can live with it and besides, I love this truck. Thank god for 2 year leases, if I owned this, I would not be so resigned.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Want to read something hilarious? Read the maketing data for the 2004's from a previous post. According to their data, I'm a self assured achiever who openly embraces lifes challenges! What a hoot! GM needs to spend their marketing data $$$$$'s on quality control. That would sell more cars than this B.S.

GAM
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    You shouldn't worry too much about some of these negative posts. The majority of the problem vehicles seem to be built in 2001. But, no matter what you buy, you're taking a chance on getting a bad one. I personally have not had any problem where I needed to take my Envoy back to the dealer for warranty service. (2/02 build date - 13,500 miles) I'm not one of those timid non-complainers either. My '98 Bravada had so many little problems, plus a major transmission failure, that the dealer knew me all too well.
    I would recommend any of these triplets to my friends. Well, maybe not the Bravada. Just for the simple fact that GM decided to kill the Oldsmobile name. Just relax and look forward to the day it arrives.
  • richlavoierichlavoie Member Posts: 56
    I guess we all have our favorits and not so favorites. I have had four FORDS. My first car ever was a 79 Capri which cost me $3000 and then $4000 in repair in two years. Then a Windstar 95 two years old which was so often back to the dealer that I give up six months later. My Cougar was fine for the 2 years I had her, but I bought an old Aerostar to tow my trailer for one summer as a second car. Bought it without a transmission, had it for 4 months and the new transmission let go. I have been told by many sources that the Aerostar had this problem for ever and FORD never fixed it. This is just my adventure with FORD. Perhaps some have similar stories with GM. I have had one GM which did fine for 3 years. It is OK to have problems, but a good company should fix them fast. If GM cares for its reputation, it will fix the problems with the triplets fast and find a way to protect those who paid 35K for a car that is always broke. I can't understand how a company that builds the Silverado could made all these mistakes? After having a poor car in the Blazer, could they have been so stu...? Well, I will have to see for myself I guess. I was going to buy, I will lease for sure, and for 3 years, 60,000 Km! Will see where this takes me.
  • momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    I was reading earlier post and have to say that the build date on my TB EXT is 2/02. I really have to agree with others on the board when I say GM really has to get it's act together with this truck and it's problems. It seems to me that there are just too many people with too many problems . Isn't Chevy's logo "WE'LL BE THERE FOR YOU" ??? Hello no one has been there for me and it sounds like there are more then a few others in the same boat. I just keep counting the time and keep crossing my fingers that me and my 3 kids are ok in this hunk of junk for the remainder of my lease.
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    My Envoy came with the 3.73 rear axel ratio. What is the difference between it and the standard 3.42?
  • richardcoulsonrichardcoulson Member Posts: 88
    Richlavoie, I know that in the US you can refuse to take delivery of a vehicle that you have ordered. If you are not comfortable with the perceived reliability then let the dealer know this and back out of the deal. You can always give the sales person a $100 to compensate for any work they have done and also ease your conscience.
  • st1100v4st1100v4 Member Posts: 96
    Does anyone know what the "standard" axle ratio is? I bought my Bravada off the lot with what I thought was standard equipment and it had the 3.73. I realize it's a no-cost option to switch, so maybe the dealer ordered that way for additional towing capacity. Also, anyone with a 2wd 3.42 remember their EPA mpg rating. The 2wd 3.73 is 16/22. If it's no better (which I think is likely), then anyone ordering should definitely go with the 3.73.

I wonder what ratio was in the Edmunds test vehicle that blew away the Ex V8 in acelleration?

BTW, to answer the ratio difference question, a higher numbered ratio gives you more rpm per mph. Other things being equal, this would give you greater acceleration, greater towing ability, and lower mpg, all by having the engine running faster (and hence in the fatter, and flatter, part of the torque and HP curve) at any given speed.
  • rainersrainers Member Posts: 50
    the "standard" axle ratio is 3.42 rated @ 16 mpg.
    the axle rating of 3.73 will make you lose about 1 mpg on avg. but will give you better towing by 1000lbs and get you going faster from a stop.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    This test revealed a much better 0-60 time. 4.10 ratio more than likely considering their tow spec. tim

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2033.shtml
    Yes, more than likely a 4.10 with those times. Also, with a 15/21 rating it has to be either 4wd or 4.10. And probably won't get those times with 4wd. It's amazing how much difference a few hundred pounds can make on acceleration runs, even on a 4400 pound vehicle.
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    No way do they stop from 60 in 109 feet unless there was a brick wall at the 109 foot mark. That's 2 more feet than the Corvette Z06.
    Maybe it was a large sand dune. They are supposed to be off-road vehicles, right?
  • nuyorkahnuyorkah Member Posts: 100
    "Will replacement tranny be a new or rebuilt unit?"

They will tear down your tranny see what failed order those parts and the Tech will rebuild it at the dealership.
  • ltz2003ltz2003 Member Posts: 24
    Hi all. This is my first post. I just wanted to say i had a bad 99 gmc tk when that new model came out and i know what it,s like. New model,s out have a lot of problems. In nov. 02 i got a new tb and so far only a leaking diff. One short trip and it,s fixed. To my point, i love this tk and to everyone out there they arn,t all bad so i say GO FOR IT.
    YOU WROTE:
    "Yes, more than likely a 4.10 with those times. Also, with a 15/21 rating it has to be either 4wd or 4.10. And probably won't get those times with 4wd. It's amazing how much difference a few hundred pounds can make on acceleration runs, even on a 4400 pound vehicle."

REPLY:
    Not sure what the results of others have been or if any have taken their Triplets to the track, but I have along with my other cars. 3.73's with nothing but a Cold Air Intake, temps in the mid 60's and about 1/2 tank of regular gas I ran consistant 15.7's in the 1/4 mile. My best being just over 15.6.

tim

1999 GTP @ 13.689
    2000 Alero "GT" @ 15.591
    2002 Trailblazer LTZ @ 15.675
    I think you may have seen this suggestion before, but let me repeat it for those of you with unsolved vibration in the pedals. If you have front mudflaps, TAKE THEM OFF, and see what happens. I put them on my '03 Envoy and vibration appeared overnight. It seems to occur from 45 mph and up.

Here is my take on the situation: at speed, the wind catches the mudflap and causes the plastic inner fender and lower rocker panel to vibrate where the flap is attached. This is transfered to the body near the pedals. I am going to try to attach the inner fender more securely to the body/frame. If this doesn't work, I may wedge some foam between the inner fender and the body.
    I also have running boards, but I am not sure if this makes the problem worse. Didn't GM say the front mudflaps didn't work with running boards? Hmmm....... For those without mudflaps, sorry this doesn't apply to you.

GAM
    He writes....
    " If you have front mud flaps, TAKE THEM OFF, and see what happens. I put them on my '03 Envoy and vibration appeared overnight. It seems to occur from 45 mph and up.
    Here is my take on the situation: at speed, the wind catches the mud flap and causes the plastic inner fender and lower rocker panel to vibrate where the flap is attached."

I say....hmmmm
    Very very interesting. I do have OEM GMC molded mud flaps for my 03 Envoy. It just so happens I notice in high winds, the vibration in the pedal is much much more pronounced, just like you said. And just like you, the vibration starts at 45 mph and goes up from there. Gam2, do me (and everyone else)a favor and please post after you have removed the flaps and let me know. Thanks man.
    I'm a bit surprised you ran mid 15's in a 4wd, based on published test results. Maybe the K&N really does help! Just makes me wonder even more about reported "sluggish acceleration." Yes I know, 0-30, etc.... I will say though that my previous comments were based on my experience which is 3.73. I have not driven a 3.42, and there could be quite a bit of difference.
    YOU WROTE:
    "I'm a bit surprised you ran mid 15's in a 4wd, based on published test results."

REPLY:
    Keep in mind that published results are not always going to match the real world. Many folks didn't and don't believe the GTP will run mid 14's bone stock. It does. Ran 14.667 with nothing done to it and only 2k on the ODO.

YOU WROTE:
    "Maybe the K&N really does help! Just makes me wonder even more about reported "sluggish acceleration." Yes I know, 0-30, etc.... I will say though that my previous comments were based on my experience which is 3.73. I have not driven a 3.42, and there could be quite a bit of difference."

REPLY:
    K&N helps mostly at the upper range. Not many folks will probably run to 90mph in the 1/4 mile, but that's when you will know. Overall however, K&N is the most basic and certainly a cumlative modification. Not much should be expected for most other than a nice deep intake sound, some throttle reponse and that's about it. It benefits most when there are other mods added. Forced induction certainly benefits ;)

4.10's would take off from the line better no doubt. I've learned to launch and hold the gears quite well. If anyone is interested in modifying an automatic and especially rear drive cars..or 4x4's I guess...go with a new Torque Converter. You'll find the faster Vettes and F-Bodies are automatics with modified TC's.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    I just got back from Bristol, TN. (Great race!!)
    I went 242 miles on 10.42 gallons! I kept the speed between 75-80 mph, plus up and down the mountains of TN. I was very impressed with the mileage. My departed '92 S-10 Blazer never did that good.
     If anyone wants to buy 2 tickets for the Martinsville race in 2 weeks e-mail me. Great seats for face value. I think the price I paid was $150.
    I will try taking them off this weekend, no time to do it before then. I will say this, I drive the same route to work every day and I had 2000 miles on the truck and never noticed a problem. I put them on and the next day I noticed the vibration. I can't imagine what else it would be!

GAM
  • aldan93aldan93 Member Posts: 202
    I had the exact problem you have! 45mph and up, vibration in the gas pedal! It was the drive shaft!!!! I told the guy to take it off and replace it!!!!!!!!, It worked, even though the dealership said it was within spec. Have them replace the drive shaft, you sound like you had the exact same problem!!!! I should send you my invoice!!!!
  • smfransmfran Member Posts: 432
    Has anyone noticed the Bose 6 CD changer makes intermittent "rubbing" noises while playing CDs? My dealer and I tried playing various CDs in many new vehicles with the same Bose system; they all made the same noise. Single changers did not do it. The dealer spoke with GM who said it's a clearance issue but there is no fix.
  • timmyjtimmyj Member Posts: 4
    My '02 Envoy did the same thing. Used to drive me nuts. I never got around to take in for service. I have not noticed it in my '03 Yukon which is almost the same unit. Also, the auto volume works great in the Yukon but could not tell if it was on or off in the Envoy.
    You write...
     Have them replace the drive shaft, you sound like you had the exact same problem!!!!

I say...
    The dealer swapped the drive shaft, wheels, tires, and exhaust system with a brand new Envoy last week. Still no difference. My only hope is the mud flaps are the culprit at this point. Thanks a lot though for your input, under most circumstances, you would be right.
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Hello folks

I have 25,200 miles on my 2002 Trailblazer and I want to replace the air cleaner filter. I've been told that if I replace it with a K&N filter that I will get more power, and better gas mileage. I find this a bit hard to believe. Anyone here replace their stock filter with a K&N and notice that this is true? Just want to make sure before I dish out the $$$$ for it.

Thanks much.
  • gcleftongclefton Member Posts: 8
    I installed a K&N Air Charger kit (KNN-63-1045) on my '02 Envoy SLT (build 02/02) a couple of weeks ago at 26,000. After 2,500 miles I have seen a slight increase in gas mileage; however, that may be masked by the warmer weather. In regular driving, the biggest change is the throaty air intake sound that you hear on acceleration. The sound allows you to easily determine engine-load associated with throttle position. At upper rpms, the engine appears to have better throttle response. Special order purchase from SummitRacing.com for $243.
  • blrmkrblrmkr Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone with a MY02 TBLT had the silver plastic trim fall out of the gray plastic trim piece? On my way home from work on Monday, all of a sudden I heard a constant slapping noise on my door. When I got home, I noticed half of the silver plastic trim had come unglued, so I pulled the rest of it off. Apparently GM and/or some other "early-adopters" have had similar problems since none of the TB trim levels have that silver plastic trim for MY03.
  • macman246macman246 Member Posts: 118
    I have both front and rear mudflaps and running boards installed on my '02 Envoy 2wd. Have not felt any vibrations.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    I had/have the pedal vibration before I installed factory mud flaps and still after the flaps. I installed the flaps just after last Christmas on my '02 TB LS 4X4 3.73 (11/01 build date). I haven't tried any fixes for the pedal vibration yet. I'm still working on the wind noise.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    I installed a K&N on my '02 Mustang. Noticed alittle (very little) increase in HP. Gas mileage stayed about the same. In the long run you will save money be buying a K&N. They do not need replacing for 1,000,000 miles, just cleaning every 30,000 or so.
    Hope this helps.
  • maxpowersmaxpowers Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys,
    I found some cables at www.rcainput.com that allows me to connect the cables to the back of the STOCK deck to my audio system so I can connect my iPod to my Envoy.

I have a 2003 Envoy, and here's the cable I found...http://www.rcainput.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD- &Store_Code=RCAI&Product_Code=GM9-AUX&Category_Code=g- m

Can anyone tell me if there is a cheeper cable aviable? I don't have a tape player in the car, and I don't want to degrade the quality by much.

Thanks for the help.

JP
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    Thsnks to all who replied about the filter. I am ordering one this week, found one for $49.99, not a bad deal. Thanks much!
  • rj123456rj123456 Member Posts: 140
    In a freak accident, I hit a post with my passenger side mirror at about 10 mph and the mirror snapped back along the hinge as it is supposed to. However, with the force of the impact the mirror cracked and the turn signal assembly popped out. The whole thing fits back together and the mirror is operational (i.e. I can adjust it up/down/left/right etc.), however I need to replace the mirror glass and the turn signal below it as well.

Can I order these parts online? I could not find a parts ordering catalog on gmgoodwrench.com. Also, if any knows the parts numbers for these, please email.

Thanks!
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    maxpowers,
    You tweaked my curiosity, so I went and looked at the site. Here's what I noticed immediately:

(GM9-AUX) Not compatible with 2002-2003 Envoy

It looks like you'll have to wait a little longer.
    Yea, I found that out after I posted this message.... is there a more generic cable for this sort of thing? I do not have a casset and furthermore the cable costs 100 bucks :(

Also I know they are making it for the 2003 envoy...just don't know when yet. I can't wait cause my iPod has over 500 songs in just under 3 days of ownership.

Max Powers.
  • luxrideluxride Member Posts: 14
    Check out this MP3 player, it broadcasts over FM, does not come out until April 15th but no need to fuss with wires...

http://www.neurosaudio.com/store/prod_neuros.asp
    iPod has a fm broadcaster also, however they aren't strong enough to put out a good signal...

MAx Powers.
  • previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    Check out Ebay to get a used mirror.
  • rgrossmanrgrossman Member Posts: 37
    You can not replace seperate pieces of the mirror unfortunately (one of GM's methods for increasing their profitability I think). They come as a unit and are expensive. After shopping around a bit I got mine online for about $200 give or take. You can do it yourself in about a half hour. First you need to pop out the window and door lock unit. Then you need to pop the covers off the door and undo a couple of bolts that hold the hole assembly to the door. The mirror has an electric control cable that runs into the window control unit. Unplug the broken unit's cable from window controls and then undo the three bolts that hold the mirror to the door. There is a piece of foam insulation that covers two of the bolts. That insulation just comes right out. Reverse the process with the new mirror and you should be all set.

I'm sorry I don't remember which company I got the mirror from. I bought it last fall but didn't replace it until last weekend. I think I still have the box in my garage and will post back if I can get the details off of it. Good luck.